Arlington Township History
History of Berrien and Van Buren counties, Michigan.
With biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers.
Ellis, Franklin, 1828-1885., Johnson, Crisfield., D.W. Ensign & Co. 1880 Pg 439
The township of Arlington, otherwise designated as
township No. 2 south, of range No. 15 west, is an interior
division, and situated near the centre of Van Buren County.
It was formerly part of the old township of Lawrence, and
became a separate organization in 1842, the name of Arlington having boeu suggested by one of its earliest residents,—a Revolutionary veteran named James Stevens, to
whom it brought pleasing recollections of his native town
in the Green Mountain State.
Contiguous township organizations are Columbia on the north, Waverly on the east, Lawrence on the south, and Bangor on the west.
The most important water-courses are the Black and Paw Paw Rivers. The former, in its flow to the southwest, crosses section 6; while the latter, flowing in the same direction, cuts off a large portion of section 36, the same being attached to Lawrence township. Several small creeks also traverse tho township, Elizabeth Creek being the largest of these. A number of lakes are observed, the largest, Scott’s Lake, being situated mainly upon section 1.
The soil of Arlington has by the industry of its inhabitants been brought to a high degree of cultivation. It is naturally of great productiveness, being composed of a rich sand and clay loam, admirably well adapted to the growth of corn, fruit, wheat, and other cereals.
The last census (1874) reported 1664 acres of wheat and 1529 acres of corn harvested in 1873, of which the products were 24,794 bushels of the former, and 54,070 bushels of the latter grain.
The surface is undulating, and in some localities these elevations and depressions are marked. The township was especially rich in timbered land, and from that fact the labor of the early pioneers was more arduous than in many other portions of Michigan, where the prairies and “oak openings” greatly modified their toil. Trees of black walnut, ash, whitewood, and oak grew to enormous proportions, one of the former, it is said, having measured at a point 3 feet above the earth 35 feet and 8 inches in circumference. Limestone, utilized to a considerable extent, has been found in the eastern part of the township. The census of 1874 returned a total of 1362 inhabitants.
SETTLEMENTS AND SETTLERS.
The first settler within the limits of the present township of Arlington, William N. Taylor, when twenty-two years of age, joined his fortunes with the party composing the Breedsville pioneers (see history of Columbia township) and came to Michigan first in the fall of 1835. His reminiscences regarding the journey from Detroit to Breedsville are most amusing. The oxen purchased in Detroit were both “off steers,” and he as their driver, had a most difficult time guiding them around stumps, over logs, etc. The men, women, and children of the party, except Wells G. Brown, walked the entire distance, and following directly behind the other, or after the manner of Indians. The women and smaller children, however, generally mounted the wagon when fording streams. In crossing Elizabeth Creek, the young wife of Jonathan N. Howard, Elizabeth, was by a sudden lurch of the vehicle thrown from her seat into the creek. From this incident the stream derived the name it bears to-day.
Soon after their arrival in Breedsville, Mr. Taylor purchased 120 acres of land, situated on section 8, in township 2 south, of range 15 west. He remained with his friends in Breedsville nineteen days, assisting them to erect houses, etc. Then, as they could afford to pay him but 50 cents a day for his labor, and their food consisted almost wholly of potatoes roasted, frequently eaten without salt, he turned his footsteps to Kalamazoo, where he worked for some time in the old Kalamazoo House. A few weeks later he went to Comstock, Kalamazoo Co., where he “tended tavern.” Afterwards he worked in the Comstock grist-mill, and upon Caldwell’s farm. In the winter of 1836-37 he returned to Hinckleyville, Monroe Co., N. Y., where he married Miss Philinda Kelsey, of Skaneatcles, Onondaga Co., N. Y , who was then visiting friends in Hinckleyville.
With his wife, ho came back to Michigan in the spring of 1837, arriving at Comstock in May. Here his wife remained until he went forward and built a small bark-roofed shanty upon his land-purchase. Upon its completion it was occupied by himself and wife. He cleared several acres the same summer, but the season was so far advanced that he was only able to raise a small crop of turnips, and the major portion of that crop was destroyed by his neighbor’s cattle, the “ off steers” owned in the Breedsville settlement. Charles U. Cross, living one mile west of him, and where, Mr. Taylor thinks, he settled in the fall of 1836. was his nearest neighbor.
Illustrative of life in the backwoods at an early day, Mr. Taylor relates that a few months after his settlement ho was able to cover his cabin with a shingle roof. The blazing logs in the huge corner fireplace would so heat the cabin’s interior in midwinter that the water from the melted snow ran down the outside of the logs, and again freezing formed icicles. The one-legged bedstead occupied by the pioneer couple was fastened to the cabin walls, into and through the chinks and crevices of which the water made its way, and coming in contact with that portion of the bedding next the walls, would so freeze them together that for days Mrs. Taylor, in the performance of here household duties, was unable to take off the sheets and spreads while “ making the bed.” Indeed, Mr. Taylor says that on awakening one morning the dire necessity awaited him, in his attempt to arise, of either tearing loose from his solo undergarment, or of being thawed out with a kettle of hot water.
The house of “Uncle Bill,” as he was familiarly called, was noted among the youth of pioneer days as a jolly place for dances, fun, and conviviality. Iu the mean time he devoted all his energies to the clearing and improvement of his lands. By persevering efforts he overcame all obstacles, and eventually converted a fair portion of Arlington’s forests into a productive farm. lie built the first framed barn, many who assisted in the “raising” coming from distant settlements. In 1868 he removed to his present place of residence, in the village of Lawrence.
The next settler in this township was James T. Hard, a son-in-law of Elder Hinckley. He, too, came from Hinckleyville, Monroe Co., N. Y., and settled upon a portion of section 5 in the fall of 1837. Afterwards he removed to the farm now occupied by A. Heath, and ultimately migrated to the State of California.
One of the most active spirits in the early pioneer experiences of Arlington was Major Heath, who removed from Jefferson Co., N. Y., iu 1837, to Jackson Co., Mich., and two years later, being much impressed with the quality of the land and the fine timber, entered a farm on sections 19 and 30, choosing the latter as a point upon which to erect a log house. The country was still in a very primitive condition when Mr. Heath arrived. No roads led to his possessions, and they were accessible only after he had, with his axe, made a highway through the forest. His house of logs was roofed with troughs after the fashion of those early times. He desired, however, to have some reminder of civilization in its construction, and secured, after a walk of six miles, a board with which to construct a door, thus rendering his home more pretentious in its appointments than those of his neighbors.
While building this house ho remained with Mansel M. Briggs, who located in the township of Bangor adjoining. Mr. Heath took an active interest in public affairs. He was chosen the first supervisor, and filled other offices of importance. His judgment and experience made him a person of influence in the neighborhood and a useful citizen. He subsequently removed to Iowa, but returned again to Van Buren County, and purchased land in the extreme southeast comer of Bangor, where he resided until his death. His son, Charles E. Heath, now lives on section 26 of the latter township.
The little circle of pioneers was not broken by the death of one of its members until the winter of 1841. The family of Major Heath was first invaded, and Mrs. A. H. Heath, the partner of his early toil, was the chosen one. Her remains were buried iu the cemetery on section 30, and the funeral services were the earliest held in the township.
Among other pioneers who were here prior to making the assessment of Lawrence in 1839, and who were designated on that roll as resident tax-payers of township No. 2 south, of range No. 15 west, were It. Gillman on section 5, Ransom Kellogg on section 5, S. M. N. Brooks on section 29, and Robert Christie, an inn-keeper, and the owner of 22 village lots.
The following statistics show the total number of taxpaying inhabitants iu the township in 1839, also the location of their lands, value, etc.:
Allen Briggs was a native of Bennington, Vt., from which point his parents removed to Oneida Co., N. Y.,and subsequently to Lewis County. After again changing his New York residence, he, in 1838, visited Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, and devoted some time to prospecting in the latter State. He entered, in company with his two sons, the following summer (1839) 40 acres on section 19, and began the arduous task of hewing out a home in the dense forest with which the township was then covered. In the summer of 1840, after having in the mean time constructed a house of logs and otherwise arranged for the comfort of his family, he sent for them. After a long and tedious journey by canal to Buffalo from Orleans Co.. N. Y., and thence by lake to Detroit, and the remaining distance of one hundred and eighty miles by wagon, they reached their wilderness home. Mr. Briggs from his first settlement in the township took an active and leading interest in all public enterprises. His education was superior to that of most of the early pioneers, and he was thus enabled to be of signal service to them in the transaction of matters of business. He also held many offices of importance in the township, which he filled with ability. Mr. Briggs’ death occurred at his -home in Arlington in the year 1868; he having reached the advanced age of eighty years. His son, Emory 0. Briggs, preceded his father to the township by a few months. Together with his brother, in February, 1839, he left the paternal roof, and, with many blessings besought, for them and their undertaking, started for Michigan. One horse carried their luggage and provisions for the journey, while the would-be pioneers, aged respectively seventeen and nineteen, wended their way on foot. Their route lay, first, from their starting-point to the Niagara River at Lewiston, where the stream was to be crossed, and thence through Canada to Detroit, whence they were to proceed to Van Buren County. On landing in Canada, these two beardless youths, with no arms save pocket-knives, and with their solitary steed, were, on pretense of being recognized as rebels in the so-called “Patriot war,” then hardly closed, arrested by a squad of Her Britannic Majesty’s soldiers, armed with loaded muskets and fixed bayonets, and triumphantly marched through the streets of Queenstown to the headquarters of the commanding officer, by whom they were ordered to the guard-house. This last order was, however, countermanded before their arrival at the guard-house, and they were returned to the august presence of the commander, by whom they were questioned and searched. The ferryman who brought them was also closely interrogated. After much more delay iu examinations and other formal proceedings, they were suffered to depart, the sage verdict having been rendered that they were not regarded as dangerous or hostile to her Majesty’s interests. After ten days of tedious travel through slush and mud, snow and frost, they reached Detroit, and ultimately, Van Buren County. They were at first employed in cutting a highway through the dense wilderness of the county, and receiving for this labor the sum of $50, expended it in tho purchase of 40 acres of land, on which their parents subsequently settled, and which was entered in the name of Allen Briggs.
William N. Taylor and James T. Hard were their nearest neighbors in Arlington. With the exception of a very circuitous road, which followed an Indian trail, and admitted the passage of but one vehicle at a time, there was no highway.
Emory O. Briggs employed his winters as a teacher, and found plenty of labor to occupy his hands during the summer months. His skill as an engineer was early called into requisition, and many of the first roads of the townships were surveyed by him. To the land originally purchased Mr. Briggs has added from time to time until he has become one of the largest land-holders in the township. He has also filled many official positions, both in the township and county. His present residence is Paw Paw, where he is largely engaged in commercial pursuits.
The same year (1840) came Alvinzy Harris, who located upon 53 acres on section 19, having come from St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., and become a resident of the State two years previously. He was a man of much force of character and good judgment, and was the recipient of many local offices within the gift of his fellow-townsmen. Mr. Harris found his land entirely uncleared, and depended upon his own sturdy arm for the improvements that were made. His son, Jefferson D. Harris, now lives upon the homestead, having added to it by a purchase of 80 acres. With Mr. Harris came Morrison Heath (also a native of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.), who settled upon 40 acres on section 30, which he improved. He was one of the small band of early voters when Arlington became an independent organization, and on that occasion was appointed inspector of elections.
The year 1840 brought with it other accessions to the little colony of settlers. William Bridges came from Livingston Co., N. Y., to Breedsville in 1837, and in the spring of 1840 he entered 40 acres on section 8. The land was entirely uncleared, and, like many pioneers who had preceded him, he erected his shanty in the midst of the forest. Doer were abundant, and the wolves were nightly prowlers about his humble habitation. Mr. Bridges was, however, undeterred by difficulties or discouragements, and very soon after his settlement had many acres cleared and under cultivation. He was a man of quiet, unobtrusive habits and unfailing industry, and was much respected by his neighbors.
James Stevens was one of the pioneers of 1840, having emigrated in that year with his wife from Livingston Co., N. Y., and made his home with Allen Briggs, whose stepfather he was. He was an octogenarian, and was accorded the privilege of naming the township.
Mr. Stevens possessed a prouder claim to the regard of his friends in that he was one of the bravest soldiers of the Revolution, having served for six years and seven months under Washington’s immediate command. Nor did he lay down his musket until the last gun was fired and the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown insured not only victory but peace to the infant republic. With the entertaining reminiscences of the conflict fresh in his recollection, it may be imagined that Mr. Stevens was always a central figure in the family group during the long winter evenings devoted to social intercourse. He died in 1847, much esteemed by all.
Joseph Ives was another of the New York State pioneers who arrived in 1840, and located on section 29, where he improved a farm. He was one of the earliest voters and an office-holder the first year of the township’s existence. Soon after came a settler named James M. Bierce, who located upon the same section, where he cleared land and built a log house.
In 1842 the township was organized, and the few settlers that had become residents assembled to choose officers for the ensuing year. The accessions to the population had been so small that but 14 electors were present on this occasion. They were William N. Taylor, James G. Cochran, Emory 0. Briggs, Joseph Ives, Morrison Heath, Major Heath, James Stevens, Allen Briggs, William Bridges, William Dyckman, William H. McGeorge, James T. Hard, Alvinzy Harris, and Conrad Hogmire. Of this number but three survive,—William N. Taylor, who resides at Lawrence; Emory 0. Briggs, living at Paw Paw; and James G. Cochran, who is still a resident of the township. The latter gentleman had become a resident of Arlington the year previous, having removed from Livingston Co., N. Y., in 1838, and settled at Breedsville, from which place he removed two years later, and purchased 40 acres on section 29 from Martin Brooks, and afterwards located upon section 9, where he now resides. Mr. Cochran retains a vivid recollection of the hardships he endured as a pioneer. On his arrival in the county there were no mills in Van Buren County, and a journey in search of provisions involved a pilgrimage of forty-two miles, and consumed seven days in going and returning. Afterwards a mill was built at Paw Paw, which diminished the distance.
A melancholy event caused much grief to Mr. Cochran 8 family soon after their settlement, Samuel Watson, the father of Mrs. Cochran, while on his return home from Paw Paw lost his way and died in the woods, in the north portion of the township, before succor could reach him. In the family of Mr. Cochran occurred the earliest birth in Arlington, that of his son, Andrew M., in 1844.
William Dyckman, another of the early pioneers, settled in 1840 upon section 24, where he cleared and cultivated a large farm, upon which he lived until his death. He was active in promoting the interests of Arlington, and held important township offices. To quote the language of one of the old residents, “ he was justice of the peace since he could remember." Adjoining, and upon the same section, was the farm of an early pioneer named Delong. Mr. Delong was somewhat distinguished as a man of means who had money to loan,—a fact which was so uncommon as to make him a central figure in financial transactions. His sons now occupy the land he improved.
At very nearly the same time came E. B. D. Hicks, who located upon section 25, where he still owns a large and productive farm and enjoys the reputation of being one of the most successful tillers of the soil.
The family of Hogmire, from their early settlement and the large share they have had in the growth and development of the township, may be regarded as worthy of distinguished mention. Daniel Hogmire left the attractive land of Western New York for a home in the wilds of Van Buren County in 1842, and selecting Arlington as a favorable point of location, entered 40 acres on section 9. William Bridges was a near neighbor, with whom he enjoyed a temporary shelter until he had erected a log house on his land. For a while he followed his trade of carpenter, returning to the East during the interval to bring his family to their primitive home. In the breaking up of the land, oxen were in general use, as being better adapted to the work than horses, but one of the latter being iu use in the neighborhood.
Mr. Hogmire purchased an interest in the pineries of Columbia township, and engaged in the manufacture of shingles, for which as the country became populated there was a considerable demand. Later he purchased 80 acres on section 21, where he built a tine brick residence and where he now resides.
Conrad Hogmire left Livingston Co., N. Y., in 1842, and located with William Bridges, on section 8. He purchased 40 acres of land, but died soon afterwards. Henry Hogmire purchased 80 acres on section 8, cleared and built upon it a frame house. Later he removed to Paw Paw, where he died.
John Hogmire settled in 1850. He bought 80 acres upon section 20. This he soon rendered productive, and continues to reside upon it.
The name of Bigelow is also a prominent one in the annals of the township, and Livingston Co., N. Y., the former home of so large a proportion of the early pioneers, included this family in the number it sent to cultivate the forests and prairies of the West.
Rufus Bigelow came to the township during the severe winter of 1843, and purchased from a settler who had preceded him, 80 acres on section 17. Some slight improvements were made, but no habitation had been built by the former owner. He remained two years in the family of Daniel Hogmire, meanwhile building a comfortable log house. Allen Briggs and Daniel Hogmire were his nearest neighbors. The lands around him were mostly uncleared, and no roads near him were yet improved.
The tax-paying residents of the township in 1844 were Janies T. Hard, William Bridges, William N. Taylor, James M. Bierce, Joseph Ives, Charles Hall, William Dyekmun, Samuel Goodenough, Morrison Heath, Alvinzy Harris, Allen Briggs, Emory O. Briggs, Robert McClintock, James G. Cochran, Major Heath, Amos R. Kellogg, Henry Delong, William Delong, Daniel Hogmire, Isaiah T. Hunt, E. B. D. Hicks, Elisha W. and Melancthon Gage.
Additional residents mentioned in 1845 were William Dyekman (3d), Calvin Goodenough, Rufus Bigelow, Isaac Drake, Conrad Hogmire, and Timothy Bewley.
In 1845, Calvin J. and Samuel Bigelow arrived, the latter of whom purchased 80 acres of J. R. Monroe, on section 21. Calvin J. bought 80 acres on section 20, and later, 40 additional on section 21, and 160 on section 17, a part of the latter being afterwards disposed of to J. Bridges and David Massey. Samuel lived for some years with his brother Rufus, and ultimately erected the frame house he at present occupies.
A school was early held in the Bigelow neighborhood, at the houses of the residents, Miss Ann Eliza Fisk being the presiding genius of the school room. The first school is, however, conceded to have been in the Heath neighborhood, with Miss Mehitable Northrop as the earliest teacher. The log school-house was located upon the southeast corner of section 25, of Bangor, portions of the two townships forming a fractional school district. Early religious services were held at the houses of Mr. Bigelow and other settlers, Elder Knapp being the expounder of sacred truths to the little band of worshipers. With his sacred calling he combined the versatile gifts of an itinerant tradesman (he was sometimes familiarly spoken of as a peddler), and the excellence of his pots and kettles inspired much praise from the good housewives of his parish.
George Meabon removed from Livingston County in 1845, and remained with Daniel Hogmire while he built a log house upon 40 acres he had purchased. The industry with which he persevered in his pioneer labors has been rewarded, and his farm now embraces 200 acres of well-tilled land.
Homer Adams came from New York State in 1845, and located on section 20. He was active in the public interest of the township, and held many offices of trust. Though now a resident of Breedsville, he still owns his farm. Ira Orton claimed Orleans County as his former home, from which he emigrated in 1845, and exchanged with A. S. Barnum land in New York State for 40 acres on section 20. With Mr. Adams, his brother-in-law, he occupied a log house that had been built and vacated by Eaton Branch, on section 29, until he could erect one on his land. Not a tree had been chopped on his purchase, excepting those felled by the Indians in search for honey. His neighbors were Melancthon and Elisha Gage, who were located on section 29, but have since removed to Lawrence. Deer were abundant, and seemed to have no sense of fear. They would frequently be seen feeding with the cattle.
Henry Earl came from New York State, and purchased on section 24, where he resided until his removal to South Haven.
Samuel Hoppin early purchased 80 acres on section 5 of Ransom Kellogg, a portion of which had been improved. He has rendered it very productive, and has erected upon it a fine brick residence, which he at present occupies. Amos Hamlin located upon 80 acres on section 36, and still resides upon this farm, which has been perceptibly improved by his labor.
J. F. Kidder, formerly of Orleans Co., N. Y., purchased of the Ostrom Company 80 acres on section 27. An abandoned blacksmith-shop, not far away, afforded shelter for his family until more comfortable quarters were secured. He followed his trade of carpenter, and found ready employment in the erection of houses and barns for the later settlers. He was followed soon after by a pioneer named Magoon, who very speedily became weary of the privations experienced in the wilds of Michigan and departed.
During the early settlement of the township of Arlington highways were not abundant, and pioneers were occasioned much inconvenience by the obstacles that met their progress in traversing the country. The earliest surveyed highway was known as tho Monroe road, which followed a diagonal course through Arlington, and connected PawPaw with South Haven. This was followed by the Bridges road, described as “commencing at the quarter stake on the east line of section 8, township 2 south, of range 15 west; thence running north five degrees, thirty-eight chains, and eighty-five links; thence north eighty-five and a half degrees, seventy-nine chains, and fifty links to the northeast corner of said section.” Surveyed July 20, 1842, by Charles U. Cross. Recorded Sept. 25, 1842, by E. 0. Briggs, township clerk.
Another early road between Arlington and the town- ship of South Haven was surveyed Oct. 10, 1843, by A. Crane & Co. A road designated as the Brown and Taylor road began at the quarter post on the east side of section 7, running thence south eighty-five and a half degrees west, seventy-two and twenty-five one-hundredths chains, on the quarter line through the centre of section 7, and ending at the quarter post on the west side of said section 7. Surveyed Oct, 12, 1843, by A. Crane & Co. Other roads followed these as the presence of settlers made them in- dispensable.
CIVIL AND POLITICAL.
Township number 2 south, of range number 15 west, by an act of the State Legislature, approved March 11, 1837, became part of Lawrence township, and continued as such until 1842, when by an act of the Legislature, approved February 16th of the latter year, it was erected as a separate township under the name of Arlington.
The first meeting of the electors of the township of Arlington was held at the house of Allen Briggs, on the 5th of April, 1842. James T. Hard, Allen Briggs, Morrison Heath, and Alvinzy Harris served as inspectors of election. The officers elected were Major Heath, Supervisor; Emory 0. Briggs, Township Clerk; Allen Briggs, Treasurer; Alvinzy Harris, William N. Taylor, Assessors; Major Heath, James T. Hard, Emory 0. Briggs, School Inspectors; William Bridges, James T. Hard. Directors of the Poor; Joseph Ives, Alvinzy Harris, James T. Hard, Highway Commissioners; William Dyckman, Allen Briggs, James T. Hard, Major Heath, Justices of the Peace; James G. Cochran, William N. Taylor, Constables.
TOWNSHIP OFFICERS, 1843 TO 1880.
1843—15, Major Heath; 1846—47, Isaiah F. Hunt; 1848, Abram Lewis; 1849, Major Heath; 1850-51, Homer Adams; 1852, Alvinzy Harris; 1853-55, Homer Adams; 1856, Sidney Fuller; 1857-60, Emory 0. Briggs; 1801, Marquis Woodward; 1862-65, Emory O. Briggs; 1866, Homer Adams; 1867, Arvin Heath; 1868-60, J. D. Harris: 1870-76, Arvin Heath; 1877-78, J. D. Harris : 1879, Orton Schermerhorn.
1843, Alvinzy Harris ; 1841, Emory 0. Briggs 1845, Alvinzy Harris; 1846, Honor Adams; 1847-54, Calvin J. Bigelow; 1855-56, M. Woodward; 1857-59, Calvin J. Bigelow; 1860-61, James B. Cushman; 1862, Calvin J. Bigelow; 1863, John Stanley; 1864, Calvin J. Bigelow; 1865, J. W. Gray; 1866, Calvin J. Bigelow; 1867, W. A. Burlingame; 1808-70, C. J. Bigelow; 1871-76, Q. W. Monroe; 1877, Levi Dc Haven; 1878-79, M. D. Trimm.
1843-45, Alien Briggs; 1846-47, Homer Adams; 1848, Clark Lewis; 1849, Homer Adams; 1850-51, Alvinzy Harris; 1852, Homer Adams; 1853-56, N. D. Richardson; 1857-59, Homer Adams; I860, Marquis Woodward; 1861, Homer Adams; 1862, William A. Burlingame; 1863, J. D. Harris; 1864-66, John Stanley; 1867-76, Mitchell H. Hogmire; 1877-78, Miles Monroe; 1879, O. W. Monroe.
1843, Amos R. Kellogg, Major Heath; 1844, Emory 0. Briggs; 1845, ADIOS R. Kellogg, Duane D. Briggs; 1846, Hezekiah More ; 1847, Amos R. Kellogg; 1848, Ira Briggs; 1849, Simeon M. Heath; 1850, Enoch White, Henry Earl; 1851, Marquis Woodward, Duane D. Briggs; 1852, Marquis Woodward; 1853, William A. Burlingame; 1854, S. M. Heath ; 1855, Gideon Hall; 1856, Levi W. Heath; 1857, Emory 0. Briggs; 1858, Levi W. Heath; 1859, J. D. Harris; I860, Emory 0. Briggs: 1861, Homer Adams; 1862, Levi W. Heath, Emory 0. Briggs; 1863, J. D. Harris; 1864, Emory 0. Briggs; 1865, James Washburn; 1866, J. D. Harris; 1867, Alfred B. Palmer; 1868, James Buckley; 1869, William A. Burlingame; 1870, James Buckley; 1871, A. B. Palmer; 1872, B. F. Ewing; 1873, John B. Wilcox; 1874-75, William A. Burlingame; 1876, John B. Wilcox; 1877, John E. De Haven; 1878, M. Hogmire; 1879, John E. Do Haven.
1843, W. N. Taylor, Daniel Hogmire; 1844, William Dyckman, Daniel Hogmire; 1845, Hezekiah More; 1847, Benjamin Herrington, James M. Bierce ; 1848, A. M. Hamlin, Benjamin Herrington.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1843, William H. McGeorge, James T. Hard; 1844, William Dyckman, Isaiah F. Hunt; 1845, Duane D. Briggs; 1846, Major Heath; 1847, James T. Hard; 1848, Allen Briggs: 1849, Daniel Hogmire, Samuel Hoppin; 1850, Henry Earl; 1851, Isaiah F. Hunt; 1852, L. H. Bailey, Allen Briggs; 1853, Daniel Hogmire; 1851, Henry Earl; 1855, Allen Briggs, William Dyckman; 1856, Charles Hurbert, Abram Lewis; 1857, Mitchell S. Smiley; 1858, William Dyckman, E. 0. Briggs; 1859, Robert C. Smith; 1860, Homer Adams, 0. E. Barnum; 1861, Henry Earl; 1862, Arvin Heath, Marquis Woodward; 1863, R. C. Smith, A. M. Hamlin; 1864, Duane D. Briggs; 1865, D. Van Antwerp, W. N. Taylor; 1866, Moses L. Kidder, Erastus Cutler; 1867, A. G. Russell, Moses L. Kidder; 1868, Duane D. Briggs; 1869, John B. Wilcox; 1870, J. N. Pritchard, Jeremiah Bridges; 1871, A. G. Russell; 1872, Joseph W. Gray; 1873, A. W. Scrimger ; 1874, Joseph W. Gray; 1875, Arvin Chapman; 1876, Joseph W. Gray; 1877, E. B. D. Hicks, James Wright; 1878, C. J. Bigelow; 1879, Andrew Whitman, Joseph Dage.
1843, J. T. Hard, Joseph Ives; 1844. William Bridges, Daniel Hogmire, Joseph Ives; 1845, E. W. Gage, J. M. Bierce, A. R. Kellogg; 1846, John P. Fisk, William N. Taylor, Elisha W. Gage; 1847, H. F. Bewin, Abram Lewis, R. M. Bigelow; 1848, William Dyckman, Joseph Ives; 1849, William Dyckman; 1850, L. H. Bailey; 1851, Marquis Woodward; 1852, William Dyckman; 1853, John Simmons; 1854, Robert Smith, Arvin Heath; 1855, Henry Earl; 1856, Arvin Heath, Samuel Hoppin; 1857, E. M. Preston, A. A. Holly; 1858, A. A. Holly, J. D. Harris; 1859, Duane D. Briggs; 1860, G. W. Monroe; 1861, Joseph W. Gray; 1862, A. A. Holly, Samuel Smiley; 1863, Samuel Monroe; 1864, A. A. Holly; 1865, J. H. Nichols; 1866, Samuel Monroe; 1867, Henry F. Northam; 1868, Philip Eckler; 1869, A. B. Palmer; 1870, Charles E. Monroe; 1871. Alanson Ives; 1372, S. S. Fuller; 1873, C. E. Monroe; 1874-76, Alanson Ives ; 1877, John Stanley ; 1878, C. E. Monroe; 1879, Judson J. Moses.
DIRECTORS OF THE POOR.
1843, Allen Briggs, Joseph Ives; 1844, Isaiah F. Hunt, Alvinzy Harris; 1845, J. T. Hard, Isaiah F. Hunt; 1S46-47, William Bridges, Samuel Goodenough; 1848-50, Morrison Heath, William N. Taylor; 1851, Joseph Ives, E. Ealon.
1876, Goorge Payne; 1878, S. P. Johnston.
SUPERINTENDENTS OP SCHOOLS.
1875-76, William A. Burlingame; 1877, A. B. Palmer; 1878, M. Hogmire; 1879, A. B. Palmer.
1843, Conrad Hogmire, Henry Delong, William N. Taylor, Rufus Bigelow; 1844, J. G. Hamilton, W. N. Taylor, J. M. Bierce, Conrad Hogmire; 1845, William N. Taylor, Duane D. Briggs; 1846, E. B. D. Hicks, D. D. Briggs, B. F. Stafford; 1847, Theodore Hunt, E. B. D. Hicks, Calvin Goodenough; 1848, B. F.Stafford, Thomas F. Gray, Emerson Magoon, Watson Durand; 1849, Benjamin Herrington, Duane D. Briggs; 1850, Goorge W. Heath, Tito* Kellogg, Clark Lewis, Isaac P. Ives; 1851, Samuel Bigelow, Isaac P. Ives, W. N. Taylor, D. D. Hathaway; 1852, Rufus M. Bigelow, E. M. Preston, Clark Vandervort, William Washburn; 1853, K. M. Preston, Emerson Magnon, Samuel Smiley, William Washburn; 1854, E. M. Preston, J. P. Ives, William N. Taylor, Samuel Smiley; 1855, J. P. Ives, William Delong, Asa Durin, Samuel Smiley; 1856, Asa Durin, Warren Babcock, James Kidder, J. P. Ives; 1857, Samuel Smiley, Ignatius Denoon, L. W. Heath, T. M. Hamlin; 1858, Henry Howe, A. M. Hamlin, Reuben Putney, Samuel Smiley; 1859, 0. E. Barnum, A. K. Hamlin, R. M. Bigelow, Isaac Shaver; 1800, H. K. Nichols, Michael Dyckman, Nathan Whitney, John Stanley; 1861, E. C. Hazard, James Gilbert, M. T. Kidder, C. M. Bridges; 1862, 0. A. Church, C. B. Babcock, David Massey, James Gilbert; 1863, Michael Dyckman, J. F. Bridges, J. E. Drake, Miles Monroe; 1864, L. A. Orton, Miles Monroe, Michael Dyckman, Theodore G. Hunt; 1865, 0. A. Church, Theodore G. Hunt, E. P. Orton, E. C. Hazard; 1866, C. B. Babcock, K. S. Delong, G. E. Brainard; 1867, E. C. Hazard, Sherburne Kidder, G. E. Brainard, T. G. Thomson; 1868, Dighton Eckler, Philetus Hathaway, Charles C. Monroe, David Hogmire; 1860, C. K. Monroe, Sherburne Kidder, E. C. Hazard; 1870, E. C. Hazard, Russell Chubbaok, Abraham Helms, G. W. Monroe; 1871, E. C. Hazard, H. K. Wells, S. B. Crawford, 0. I. Wright; 1872, Jasper Burrell, E. C. Hazard, Wilbur Drake, C. I. Wright; 1873, C. I. Wright, Wilbur Drake, Jasper Burrell, Abraham Helms; 187-i, Bussell Herrington, James Gilbert, Wilbur Drake, Myron Sanborn; 1875, A. W. Wilcox, Edward Crannell, W. W. Gurnsey, K. C. Hazard; 1876. Russell Herrington, James N. Drake, A. W. Wilcox, G. R. Heath; 1877, George Bronner, B. D. Hicks, Gabriel Dage, Perry Johnson; 1873, Frank Burrell, James Washburn, M. Thompson, Sylvester Meacham ; 1879, Julian Harris, Andrew Cochran, Barney Hicks, Milon Thompson.