History of Palisades Park Post Office
Palisades Park, MI (Post Office - Ballou Inn) -
Contributed by Paul Petosky
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan in Van Buren County, Covert
Township, this settlement was first called Paulville, it was renamed around
1906 by Arthur C. Quick, a naturalist, who made it a wild flower sanctuary;
later, as a summer resort. Today it is a private club.
Park Post Office was a summer only operation, established on July 12, 1910,
with Grace A. Ballou as its first postmaster.
served at the Palisades Park Post Office are listed as follows:
Grace A. Ballou .......... July 12, 1910
Archie D. Allen .......... June
Calvin A Lehman .......... August 24, 1934
Underwood ..... August 24, 1939
Mrs. Helen P. Packard .... July 27, 1944
to June 30, 1957
On July 1, 1957, Palisades Park became a Contract Rural Station of the
Covert Post Office.
On February 10, 1966 became a Contract Rural Branch
of the Covert Post Office.
On July 1, 1975 became a Community Post Office
Palisades Park Post Office discontinued operation on October
28, 1978 along with zip code 49044, mail service was continued through