Chelsea
Newspapers
Washtenaw Co MI


CHELSEA HERALD
This paper is the successor of th3 Grass Lake Reporter, the office in which it is published having been removed by its proprietor from the village of Grass Lake, Jackson Co., in 1871. Like all country papers not having a large amount of official patronage, it has had its seasons of prosperity and seasons of adversity. As a general thing, it has enjoyed a lair amount of patronage; its advertisers are liberal, the result of having live merchants in the village. Andrew Allison, its editor and proprietor, was born in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, Nov. 16, 1827. He is the son of Andrew and Jane (Nelson) Allison. His father was a tallow chandler. When he was 10 years of age his parents came to America and located at Toronto, Can., and there, at 14, he began to work as a priuter in the Colonist office. He was bound for five years as an apprentice, and after he had finished this term of service he, in 1841, went to Buffalo, N. Y., and worked in Faxon's job office. He was there two years, at the end of which he went back to Toronto and was there married to Miss Forrester Bentley, in 1850. They soon went to Oswego, and Mr. Allison there worked a week in the Times office, after which he and his wife went to Rochester, where he found employment in the Democrat office, remaining there for two years. Buffalo was Mr. Allison's next stopping place, and Cleveland the next, where lie worked a week on the Plaindealer. In Sandusky he was employed a short time on the Clarion, he finally settled duwn in Detroit and followed his profession there for 17 years. He was an employe on the Free Press when W. F. Story, of tho Chicago Times, owned that paper, and worked in numerous other offices. In 1867 be removed to Grass Lake, Jackson Co., and started the Grass Lake Reporter. Alter four years' trial at Grass Lake, he concluded that Chelsea was a more promising point for a newspaper venture, and removed his office to this village and started tho Chelsea Herald in September, 1871. He has continued the paper ever since, and lias succeeded in establishing it on a profitable basis, with a large circulation aud a liboral advertising patronage. His office is well equipped with news and job material, and is more complete in this respect than most country offices. Mr. Allison is a member of tho Odd Fellows and Masonic fraternities. Besides his printing establishment and newspaper, he possesses considerable town property, and owns the house in which he resides.