Township of Scio
Washtenaw Co MI

The township of Scio was organized by an act of the legislature, approved March 25, 1833, and the first township meeting was held at the house of Horace Leek, on section 9. The early- township records have been destroyed by fire so that the first township officers can not be given.

Dexter village, which is within this township, was platted in 1830, although the land on which it is located was purchased in 1824 by Judge Dexter and there were a number of families in the village at the time it was platted.

Among them was that of Judge Alexander D. Crane, who thus describes the village of Dexter in 1830: "March 1, 1830, I came here with my wife, to whom I had been married but a few days, and have resided here ever since. When I came I found here as residents of this village Hon. Samuel W. Dexter, Dr. Cyril Nichols and Samuel W. Foster, who, with their families, constituted the whole of the village and their dwellings were the only dwellings upon the village plat at that time.

Judge Dexter had been here a few years, and then owned a large tract of land, and had erected a grist and sawmill on Mill creek. The grist mill stood where J. H. Everett & Co.'s flouring mill afterwards stood, and the sawmill stood on the opposite side of the creek.

John A. Conaway and his father then lived in a log house on the rise of ground beyond the sawmill where Dennis Warner's farmhouse afterwards stood. They kept a tavern there and that was the only tavern west of Ann Arbor anywhere in the region.

Dr. Cyril Nichols built his house on the west side of the river, near the bridge. He had come to Michigan from Vermont and had settled in what had become Dexter village, in 1826. He was a man of intelligence, and had a very extensive practice for many miles around Dexter. He afterwards laid out the village of Scio, erected a mill there, and on selling this out erected another mill at Foster's Station, in Ann Arbor town. This in turn he sold and went to California in search of gold, dying just as he nearcd California.

The first store in Dexter was opened by Charles P. Cowden, in 1830, followed in 1831 by Nelson H. Wing. William C. Pease and Robert Brower soon located here, and in 1838 Dexter had grown to be quite a flourishing village and is thus described in the Michigan Gazateer of that year: "A village and postoffice in the county of Washtenaw and township of Scio. Has an elevated and healthy location, and is pleasantly situated on Mill creek at its confluence with the Huron river. Here is a flouring mill with two run of stone, a sawmill and tannery, five stores, one grocery, one druggist, one lawyer, three physicians. It is on the territorial road from Monroe to Grand river. The Detroit & St. Joseph Railroad is to pass through it. There is hydraulic power in its vicinity that might be used to any extent. Dexter is very thriving, many buildings were erected during the two seasons past, and many are now being erected. Distant nine miles from Ann Arbor and fifty miles west of Detroit, 576 miles northwest of Washington city."

Judge Dexter evidently expected that through his influence Dexter village would grow into a large place. The streets on his plat are wider than those of any other village or city in Washtenaw and they are arranged somewhat like the spokes of a wheel, coming to a common center. Their width has been utilized in later days to make extensive grass plots between the sidewalk and the roadway, the grass growing down through the gutters up to the beaten track of the road, and the lawns thus created are kept neatly mown. This adds greatly to the beauty of the village.

Among the doctors who settled early in the village was the second physician. Dr. Philip Brigham, who came in 1832, and after three years moved to Ann Arbor. Dr. Amos Gray arrived in the same year from Vermont, where he was born in 1804, and here he remained in active practice until 1875, living some years after he had retired from active practice. Dr. John H. Cardell practiced in Dexter from 1836 until his death in 1842. Dr. C. A. Jeffreys was the next physician to arrive and was followed by Dr. Ewing, who died in 1879, Dr. Hollywood, Dr. Dolman, Dr. Clark, Dr. Howell, Dr. E. F. Chase, Dr. John Lee, Dr. W. E. Ziegenfuss and others. The lawyer mentioned in the Michigan Gazateer of 1838 was Calvin Smith, who moved to the village in 1830, but did not become a lawyer until two years later. He was the first justice of the peace of the township and in 1839 was elected a member of the legislature, but died before taking his seat. The second lawyer in Dexter was Judge Alexander D. Crane, who came to the county in 1827 from Cayuga county, New York. He commenced the study of law in 1832, when he was elected constable. He kept a store for about a year and a half, and in 1843 was admitted to the bar. He was elected justice of the peace, in 1849 was postmaster of Dexter, in 1853 was made prosecuting attorney and in 1873 judge of the circuit court. He served for three months in 1861 as captain in the old Fourth Infantry. He died in Dexter. James T. Honey was the next attorney at Dexter, where he commenced the practice of law, which he still continues.

For many years the only bank in Dexter was that of C. S. Gregory & Son, a private bank, originally established by Rice A. Beal as a broker's office, who sold the office to George E. Southwick & Co., who in turn sold to C. S. Gregory & Co. Mr. Gregory purchased the interest of his partner and admitted his son into partnership under the firm name of C. S. Gregory & Son. The bank continued for some time after Mr. Gregory's death, which followed that of his son, but was discontinued after the starting of the Dexter Savings Bank. A state bank was established in which for some years Thomas Birkett owned a controlling interest, which he has recently sold to Frank P. Glazier. Charles S. Gregory was born in Cayuga county, New York, in 1816, and came to Scio in 1834. He represented Washtenaw county in the state legislature in 1861 and 1862, and again in 1883. He died June 4, 1893. His son, John V. N. Gregory, also represented the county in the state legislature from 1889 to 1892.

The first hotel in Dexter village was built for Judge Dexter in 1831 by Edward Torrey. John A. Conaway, however, kept a tavern in a log house on the west side of Mill creek. Joseph Arnold was the landlord in the hotel built by Torrey, and was succeeded in turn by Richard Brower and Captain James B. Arms, and for many years this was the only hotel in the village. It was finally destroyed by fire in 1860. The second hotel was built by Nathaniel Goss, but was destroyed by fire in 1836. Then came the Goodrich House, which was also destroyed by fire in 1848. A fourth hotel was destroyed by fire in 1863, the hotel being known as the Bentley House.

The first blacksmith in the village was judge Alexander D. Crane, who opened his shop in 1830: Edward Torrey was the first carpenter who resided in the village, coming in 1831; Efastus Ranney was the first wagonmaker, coming in 1830; George C. Page, the first tailor, came in 1832; Orrin J. Field, the first shoemaker, in 1832; Henry Winkle, the first cabinet-maker, in 1832, and Julius Ranney, the first tanner, in 1834. Mr. Page was justice of the peace for nearly a quarter of a century and died in Dexter at a very old age.

The first grist mill, which had been erected by Judge Dexter, after passing through a number of hands, was destroyed by fire November 28, 1845, the mill at this time being owned by Thomas Martin. The fire originated at 3 o'clock in the morning in a smut machine and the mill was a total loss. It carried $9,000 worth of insurance which, however, did not cover the loss. The mill site was purchased by Thomas Peatt and Alva Aldrich, who rebuilt the mill, selling out ultimately to Ebarts and Costello. The mill finally passed into the hands of Thomas Birkett. The Feninsular mills were built in 1836 by Millard. Matthews and Bond. In 1855 they were purchased by Beal, Marble and Southwick. After passing through a number of owners, they finally wound up in the hands of Thomas Birkett. In 1838 Jesse Millard and son erected a woolen mill, which ran for many years and did quite a flourishing business. A cider and planing mill was erected in 1881 by Phelps and Still Bros., but was burned four years later, and a new planing mill was built by B. B. Williams. A blast furnace was erected in 1850 by Isaac V. Wakeman, and did a flourishing business. Afterwards, in connection with this furnace, an agricultural implement factory was started, which employed a number of people, until it was destroyed by fire in the early '70s. Other factories, such as wagon factories, sash and door factories, boats, etc., have been at various times run in the village. Dexter has been may times visited by fire.

About 1838 its first visitation occurred when the house built by Calvin Smith, and then owned by Thomas Martin, was burned. Dexter's first big fire was on Sunday, November 24, 1844. when twelve buildings on the north side of Main street were destroyed, at a loss estimated at $30,000. The fire originated in Henry Vinkle's cabinet shop, and a singular fact, noted in the Ann Arbor papers of this date, is that a rumor of this block being burned was current in Ann Arbor the night before the fire took place, and the rumor even named the buildings in which the fire actually originated. In 1848 this same block of stores, which had been rebuilt, was burned with a loss even heavier than in the fire three years previous. Again, in April, 1877, five brick buildings in this block were destroyed by fire at a loss of $20,000. On the south side of Main street, in 1847, fire destroyed three buildings, and in February, 1860, two more buildings, including the old Dexter Hotel. On Christmas day, 1866, a still more destructive fire occurred on the south side of the street

On Thursday. May 4.......De Forest Phelps was killed by a bullet in his side while seeking to protect the dam of J. Millard & Son, who was engaged in a law suit with a Mr. Reeves, whose land had been overflowed by their mill dam. They believed that an effort had been made to weaken their dam several weeks before Phelps was killed, so that the heavy rain which seemed to be approaching might remove the dam. On the night before the murder another attempt to weaken the dam was anticipated and the dam was watched. The watch was repeated on Thursday night, about twenty people taking part in watching the dam. Sometime after dark a number of men seemed to be digging around the dam. and the company of watchers rushed forward, Phelps being amongst the foremost. He received the contents of a gun in the right side. Five arrests were made on account of the murder, but these persons do not seem to have ever been tried.

On Sunday, January 20, 1878. Thomas O'Grady was murdered by W. H. Morand, a colored man. who had been living on a little piece of land he had leased in Cullinane's woods. near Dexter. Morand had built a hut of saplings, covered with earth and brush, near the Michigan Central Railroad track, and the Dexter boys used to go out to see him. On this Sunday eight of them attempted to make sport of him, and he came out with an ax and struck at their number, the blow missing. O'Grady drew a revolver and fired in the air for the purpose of scaring Morand. but it simply enraged him and his next blow struck O'Grady to the ground, the other seven running away. Morand struck three more blows, crushing O'Grady's skull and mutilating the body, which he carried some fifteen feet and threw over his fence. The alarm having been given immediately by O'Grady's companions, a number of people soon assembled on the spot and found the colored man burying his victim. He gave himself up to the officers, and upon being taken to Ann Arbor it was found that he believed himself to be the Savior, with intimate knowledge of the past, present and future. He was adjudged insane and sent to the Kalamazoo Insane Asylum.

On the night of August 10. 1875. Ludwick Miller, a Scio farmer, was murdered by Lyman Burkhardt. a fifteen-year-old lad, who was working for Miller. He confessed the crime, claiming that it was on account 01 a whipping which Miller had given him. Burkhardt entered the room where Miller was sleeping and. placing a gun at his head, fired, killing him instantly. Burkhardt was sentenced to state's prison for life. He was pardoned by the governor in 1892. Tn the fall of 1876 Mr. Rumsey had a dispute with a laborer in his employ, named George Henning, over the settlement of Henning's claim, when Henning kicked Rumsey in the groin, from which Rumsey died a few days later. Henning pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to state's prison for four years.

On March 20, 1877, Mrs. Dennis Warner, a pioneer of the county, who had been the first school teacher in the township of Sylvan, was struck by a train while crossing the railroad track to her home in Dexter and killed.

The first schoolhouse in Scio township was constructed of logs and erected in 1829. It was located on Hiram Arnold's farm, a mile and a half north of Delhi, and was known as the Arnold schoolhouse. The seats of this primitive and unpretentious looking structure, like the walls, were made of thick, heavy slabs or planks, with a hole at each end and a stick put through for support. Owing to roughness of the benches (the soft side having not yet been invented) we may be excused from inferring that our forefathers certainly did "gain an education under difficulties." With increasing population came the demand for more commodious and comfortable schoolhouses. Districts were arranged, and more modern structures erected. The village of Dexter and vicinity was settled by a class of people who appreciated the value of an education and educational advantages, and hardly was the village named before a suitable school building was erected and the wielding of the birch commenced. This first schoolhouse was a small frame building on B street, near the site now occupied by the Baptist church, and was erected in 1830. For some years it was also used as a place of worship and for holding public meetings. In 1843 it gave place to a larger and more substantial looking edifice of brick, which is still in existence, and is the first dwelling house north of the Baptist church. This, in turn, became too small to accommodate the pupils in .the then thriving little town, and in 1856. at a meeting of the tax-payers of the district, it was decided that a larger and better building 'must be built, and with this end in view a building committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. Ewing, Judge Dexter, B. W. Waite and A. D. Crane. This committee went to Detroit, and at a cost of $75 secured the plan of the building, but half of which was ever carried out. The contract was taken by a Mr. Terry, of Ypsilanti. and John B. Dow, of Ann Arbor, Terry doing the wood work and Dow the brick work. The lumber was made in Ypsilanti and the fixtures constructed after it was shipped here. The brick were made at a kiln about a mile west of Dexter. The ground for the new building was broken in June, 1856, and in October the structure known as the Union schoolhouse was completed.

The first principal was Professor Lawton, who took charge of the institution in November, 1856. He was succeeded by Duane Doty, who afterwards became prominent as a superintendent of the Chicago schools. Next in order came Thomas, Brown and 'Kimball. Professor Brown was noted for his great strength; the following story illustrates it: "A drayman went to the professor's residence with a barrel of flour and was about to roll it off on the ground when the professor came out, lifted it on his shoulder and walked quietly into the house/' It is supposed that he kept good order. A lady, Miss Ada Alvord, next took the reigns of government in hand and under her efficient management it first became a graded school, A pamphlet was issued stating the number of grades and the names of the studies in each. It was during her administration that a peculiar feeling of class distinction arose, and led to the passage of the following resolution by the board: "Resolved, That colored children attending the school shall be compelled to sit alone and also recite in a class by themselves." Since that time the school has been under the management of the following principals: George W. Crouch, A. F. Hamilton, J. L. Lane, E. C. Thompson, H. L. Davis, H. E. Kratz, C F. Field, W. Carey Hill, C. A. Cook, Professor Bobbs, O. L. Waller, Professor J. Mclnnis, A. E. DeWitt and others. A new union schoolhouse was finished in Dexter early in 1888, and is a beautiful building, of which the inhabitants of Dexter are justly proud. At the time it was built is was thought to be the finest schoolhouse of its size in the state. It contains six large school rooms with broad, airy halls and large and convenient hat and cloak rooms connected with each school room. These hat and cloak rooms are so arranged that they may be entered only through the school rooms, which prevents the theft or loss of clothing which so often happens in the high school building, where the hat and cloak rooms are entered only from the halls. The building is supplied with the Smead-Ruttan heating and ventilating system, which is a great success. Perfect ventilation is secured. The entire volume of air in each room is changed every five minutes, a result that can be secured by no other system. The basement of the building, high, light and airy, contains the three furnaces by which the building is warmed, and closets for boys, girls and teachers. The closets are so constructed with brick walls and iron tops that the excreta can be burnt out without being removed. All the foul air of the rooms above passes over this matter in the closets, rendering it as dry and odorless as Buffalo chips, which are used as fuel on our western plains. This section of the Smead-Ruttan system, to say -nothing of the perfect ventilation which is secured, is invaluable. The building occupies a fine location, overlooking the village, and the grounds have been graded at an expense of $500, and grassed over so that the surroundings are as beautiful as the building itself. The committee having the building in charge and superintending the work was Charles S- Gregory, B. W. Warner and R. P. Copeland. The entire building, including heating and ventilating apparatus and closets, cost the district about $13,000. The actual cost of the building was much more. The contractors sub-let the different parts of the building and every sole contractor lost money, except one.

The Baptist church was the first organized in the district. Elder Carpenter, who had been preaching there for over a year, organized a church August 16, 1831. The original members were Elder and Mrs. Ebor Carpenter, David Layton, Joshua Secord, William Youmans, David Case, John Hancock, William Lennon, Mrs. Put- nam, Lydia Secord, Catherine Case, Hannah Hancock, Esther Quackenbush, Amanda Hurd, Anna Force and Catherine Clements. For several years they worshiped in the schoolhouse or in private houses. Their first church was dedicated in June, 1840, and this structure was replaced by a brick church, which was dedicated in May, 1866, the building costing $5,000. The earlier pastors of this church were Rev. Ebor Carpenter, Rev. William A. Bronson, Rev. George Walker, Rev. James Piper, Rev. Stephen Yocum, Rev. Edward Tenney, Rev. Charles Peterson, Rev. J. L. Smith, Rev. Nelson Eastwood and Rev. H. A. Brown. The Methodist Episcopal church was organized by the Rev. E. H. Pilcher, who was then stationed at Tecumseh. He preached in Judge Dexter's house in November, 1831, and a class of two men and eight women was organized. William H. Brock way was appointed leader, and in 1833 he was licensed as a local preacher. Rev. Henry Colchazer, Rev. E. H. Pilcher, Rev. E. C. Gavitt, Rev. A. Billings, Rev. A. B. Elliott and Rev. H. Gearing ministered to this congregation up to 1835.

The Congregational church was organized on January 5, 1836, by Rev. C. G. Clark, as the First Presbyterian Church of Dexter. The original members were Charles P. Cowden, who was elected elder; David Dutton. Vashti Dutton, Charles M. Smith, Mchitabel F. Cowden, Roxanna Whitcomb, A. Spaulding, Timothy Dutton, Catherine Conkling, Richard and Elizabeth Peterson, Julia Ann Tuttle, Anne Northern, Dennis and Harriet K. Warner, Jerusha T. Baker. A frame church was built in 1845 at a cost of $2,000. This building was sold in 1873, and in 1874 the church disbanded. During its organization a total of 339 members were on the rolls of the church.

The Episcopal church probably held the first services in the township of Scio, Sylvamis Noble having, as early as 1825, secured a missionary station for the township, and the first minister to preach in the township was the Rev. Mr. Cadle. who was in the township but one Sunday, however. Rev. Mr. Freeman bought a farm a few miles from Dexter and occasionally preached in the log schoolhouse one mile west of Dexter. In 1835 Rev. Samuel Marks preached in the Dexter schoolhouse every two weeks, being assisted by the Rev. David J. Burger, under whom the St. James parish, Dexter, was organized, the first vestrymen consisted of Barnabas K. Dibble, Pierpont L. Smith, Nathaniel Noble, William A. Jones, Alexander D. Crane, Dr. Amos Gray and James Cunningham. Mr. Burger was followed by the Rev. Darius Barker, Rev. Marmaduke Hirst and the Rev. A. S. Hollister. The first building was erected in 1854, under Rev, Caleb A. Bruce and his father. Rev. Nathaniel Bruce, and was dedicated on June 24, 1855.

The first Catholic church near Dexter was built about five miles northwest of the village in 1840, under Rev. Father Cullen, and a small frame building was erected. This building being shortly afterwards destroyed by fire, a new church was erected in Dexter village at a cost of $4,000, and Rev. Father Hennessy greatly assisted the congregation in its construction. The first resident priest was Rev. Father J. Pulsers, who was succeeded by the Rev. J. Van Jennip, and during the latter's pastorate of fifteen years a fine brick church was erected, which was dedicated June 3, 1875, by Bishop Borgess. The church cost $27,000, and at the time of the dedication Rev. T. F. Slattery was the priest in charge of the parish.

Washington lodge No. 65, -F. & A. M.. was organized June 30, 1854, with the following officers: Frederick Carlisle, W. M.; John Cross- man, S. W.; George W. Hayes, J. W.; Osborne Aldrick, secretary; Thomas Peatt, treasurer; H. H. Noble, S. D.; O. M. Smith, J. D., and Marquis Peatt, Tyler.

Washtenaw chapter, O. E. S-, was organized later. A Masonic temple was erected in the later part of 1905 at a cost of $2,500. It is 26x60 in size, two stories high, with banquet and dancing hall, lodge room and spacious ante-room.

Besides Dexter, the township contains the unincorporated villages of Scio and Delhi. Scio, as has been seen, was platted by Samuel W. Foster in 1835, upon the building of his mill. It was at one time quite a prosperous village, but the continued growth of Dexter and the establishment of Delhi operated as a bar to its growth. A postoffice was established here about 1870, and was kept up until discontinued on account of rural free delivery. The first postmaster was George A. Peters, who is still living in the township, although now over eighty years of age. Mr. Peters was a leading member of the greenback party, and afterwards constituted the populist party of the county and was its candidate for congress.

Delhi village was platted July 25, 1836, by Jacob Doremus. The plat was recorded as Michigan village, but the name was soon afterwards changed to Delhi. In 1842 all the unsold lots in the village plat were purchased by N. C. Goodale, who has been regarded as the real founder of Delhi mills. He was born in Amherst, Massachussetts, in 1813, and came to this county in 1835, purchasing the sawmill on the site of the Delhi mills for $50, which was the entire amount of money that he had. He soon built the Delhi flouring mills, and by the time of his death, in 1877. had accumulated a large fortune. The village lots in Delhi were all sold with the express condition that no intoxicating drinks should ever be sold upon the premises, under pain of forfeiture and the loss of all improvements made thereon. While the Delhi mills were run to their full capacity they gave employment to a large number of men. and the village was prosperous. After a number of vicissitudes the mills passed into the hands of the Michigan Milling Company, of Ann Arbor, by which they are now owned and run. A postoffice was established at Delhi in 1868. Among the noted characters who made their home in Scio was Captain Hays, who had commanded a privateer during the War of 1812, during which he had captured many prizes and on two occasions had been taken prisoner. After the war he entered the merchant service, and in 1832 settled in Scio. He was a kind hearted man and his language was always that of the sea. His instructions to Clark Sill, who built his house, in 1832, were as follows: "She is to be after the most approved model. Her bulwarks are to be large trees, and she is to be seven feet lower deck and five feet upper deck, with just holes on the upper and lower decks, with scuppers on the upper deck. She is to be altogether seaworthy." On one occasion he attended church services in the house of George W. Peters, where a protracted meeting was in progress with considerable excitement, one person in particular praying loud and long with many exhortations to repentance. As the captain sat during the whole service with his eyes on the floor, the excitable exhorter placed his hand upon his shoulder, saying: "Well, captain, what do you think?" Raising his eyes for the first time, the captain said: "Think? Why, I think a steady helm is best in a storm!"

Among the settlers of Scio who are yet (1905) living is J. W. Wing, who settled in Scio in 1832 at the age of twelve years, following his father from Madison county, New York, where he was born.

In 1838 Scio township had a population of 1,442. and contained two grist mills, three saw mills and six merchants.

Drownings have been numerous in Scio. Among them may be mentioned: Willie Kay, aged nine, who fell into the water while playing about the dam at Delhi mills, March 12, 1887; the six-year-old son of Mr. Bullock was drowned at Delhi mills July 18, 1890. He was playing in an old boat which started down stream. The little boy jumped for a stone, missed it and fell into the water. The seven-year-old son of Orville Todd, while wading near the bridge at Dexter, June 15, 1892, slipped and fell into deep water and his body was not recovered for three-quarters of an hour. John Schulte was drowned in the Huron, June 18. 1893. lie jumped from a boat for the shore, fell into six feet of water and, being unable to swim, was drowned.

The Dexter postoffice was robbed February 13, 1888, of $400 in stamps but the robbers were never detected. Charles P. Stark, of Sharon, who was working near Dexter, started to return from Ann Arbor to Dexter June 15, 1882, on a train which did not stop at Dexter. He jumped off the moving train and was killed. On May 25. 1903. the body of an unknown man was found in the unoccupied house of Frank Phelps in Scio with his throat cut from ear to ear. It was finally determined to be the body of W. H. Woodward, a traveling salesman for a portrait company, who had committed suicide on May 3.

William Benz was found dead on his farm August 21, 1903, with his throat cut and marks of hammer blows on his head, but not sufficient to fracture the skull. His wife was absent and he was alone. She discovered the tragedy. The coroner's jury found that his throat had been cut by an unknown person or persons.

The early records of the township of Scio have been destroyed by fire. Since 1843 the supervisors have been:


Benjamin W. Waite .................1843
Norman A. Phelps...................1844
Benjamin W. Waite .................1845-46
Nelson Mosher .....................1847
Benjamin W. Waite..................1848
Jacob A. Polhemns..................1849
Benjamin W. Waite..................1850
Jacob A. Polhemus..................1851
Samuel P. Foster ..................1852
Abraham Yandermark ................1853
William Burnett....................1854
Charles S. Gregory.................1855
William Burnett ...................1856
Charles S. Gregory ................1857
David M. Finley....................1858
Charles S. Gregory ................1859
Stephen G. Johnson ................1860
Luther Palmer .....................1861
Stephen G. Johnson ................1862
Luther Palmer .....................1863
Patrick Tuomy......................1864-65
John L. Smith......................1866
Patrick Tuomy .....................1867
John L. Smith......................1868
Henry E. Peters ...................1869-70
Patrick Tuomy .....................1871-73
Samuel W. Holmes ..................1874
Stephen G. Johnson ................1875-76
Patrick McGuinness ................1877-78
Jacob Jedele Jr....................1879
John L. Smith .....................1880-81
Benjamin Waite. Jr.................1882
Jacob Jedele. Jr...................1883
Charles S. Gregory ................1884
Andrew T. Hughes.................. 1885-92
Fred Jedele .......................1893
Byron T. Whittaker.................1894-02
Jacob Jedele.......................1903

Past and present of Washtenaw County, Michigan / by Samuel W. Beakes,
together with biographical sketches of many of its prominent and leading citizens and illustrious dead.
Author: Beakes, Samuel Willard, 1861-1927.