TOWNS
CITIES
TOWNSHIPS

Wayne County Michigan

Brownstown Township

History of Detroit and Michigan, Silas Farmer 1890 (Pg. 1247-1255)

The Township was first created by Act of April 12, 1827, and included all of Town 4 South, Range 10 East and fractional Township 5 South, Range ten East. By Act of February 16, 1842. Section 1 and the East half of Sections 11, 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 25 and 26 of Town 4 South, Range 10 East, were detached and added to the township of Monguagon.

The township was named after Adam Brown who when a lad was captured by the Indians at Greenbrier, in Virginia. He was a brother of General Brown of that commonwealth, but grew to manhood among the Indians married an Indian woman, and was always highly respected for his upright life. The first township meeting of Brownstown was held at the house of John Sturgis on the last Monday in May, 1827. Jacob Knox was chosen Moderator and Seth Dunham, Clerk. The following officers were elected: Supervisor, Moses Roberts; Clerk, James Vreeland: Assessors, Jacob Knox, Wm. Hazard, D. Smith; Highway Commissioners, Elias Vreeland, Wm. Fletcher, Isaac Tyler; Constable and Collector, Truman Bearss; Overseers of the Poor, Arthur Ruark, Garret Vreeland; Fence Viewers, Hiram A. Hecox, Claude Campau, Wm. Fletcher, Jason Thurston, John Conrad, Thomas Lang; Overseers of Highways, Isaac Tyler, George Clark, Hiram A. Hecox; Pound Keeper, Isaac Tyler.

The officers since elected have been as follows :

1828. Supervisor, Seth Dunham ; Clerk, James Vreeland; Assessors, Jacob Knox, Marshal Bronson, Adna Hecox; Road Commissioners, Isaac Tyler, Claude Campau, Wm. Hazard; Overseers of the Poor, David Smith, Truman Bearss; Overseers of Highways, Isaac Tyler, David Smith; Fence Viewers, James Felt, Benj. F. Knapp, Truman Bearss.

1829. Supervisor, Seth Dunham; Clerk, James Vreeland; Assessors, Adna Hecox, D. C. Vreeland, Claude Campau; Overseers of the Poor, Michael Vreeland, Adna Hecox, Constable and Collector, Hiram A. Hecox; Constable, John Stanton.

1830. Supervisor. Gardner Brown; Clerk, James Vreeland; Assessors, D. C. Vreeland, Jacob Knox, Abel Aspen wall; Road Commissioners, Elias Vreeland, Jacob Knox; Directors of the Poor, James Sutliff, David Smith, D. C. Vreeland, Claude Campau, Isaac A. Combes; Treasurer, James Vreeland; Constable and Collector, John Forbes.

1831. Supervisor, D. C. Vreeland ; Clerk, James Vreeland; Highway Commissioners, Isaac A. Combes, B. F. Knapp, Elias Vreeland; Assessors, Isaac A. Combes, James Clark, Garret Vreeland; Poor Director, Isaac A. Combes; Treasurer, James Vreeland; Constable and Collector, John Forbes.

1832. Supervisor, David Smith; Clerk, James Vreeland ; Assessors, Isaac A. Combes, D. C. Vreeland, Claude Campau; Highway Commissioners, Claude Campau, Elias Vreeland, Augustus Button; School Inspectors, Dr. Kimball, David Smith, James Vreeland, B. F. Knapp, Augustus Button ; Poor Director, Isaac A. Combes.

1833. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, James Vreeland ; Assessors, D. C Vreeland, Claude Campau, B. F. Knapp; Highway Commissioners, Claude Campau, B. F. Knapp ; Elias Vreeland; Poor Director, Isaac A. Combes; Treasurer, David Smith; Constable and Collector, Wm. Munger.

1834. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, James Vreeland; Assessors, Stephen Mawnawsaw; Daniel C. Vreeland; Isaac A. Combes; Highway Commissioners, Charles McCloud, John Smith, Stephen Mawnawsaw; Constable and Collector, John C. Vanriper; Constable, Wm. Munger; Poor Directors, Pelee T. Clark, James Vanriper.

1835. Supervisor, Thomas Harryman; Clerk, James Vreeland; Assessors, Peleg T. Clark, Stephen Mawnawsaw, John Conrad; Highway Commissioners, Augustus Button, David Smith, Claude Campau; Constable and Collector, Rensselaer Wallace; Constable, Vincent Conrad.

1836. Supervisor, Thomas Harryman; Clerk, John L. Near; Assessors, John L. Forbes, John Clark, Sr., John Conrad ; Highway Commissioners, Augustus Button, Isaac A. Combes, Daniel C. Vreeland ; Poor Directors, David Smith, Cornelius Van Horn; Collector, Rensselaer Wallace; Constables, Rensselear Wallace, Benj. F. Knapp ; School Inspectors, John L. Near, Peleg T. Clark, Russell Ransom, Charles F. Irwin, Augustus Button; Justice of the Peace, Russel Ransom, for one year; Nathaniel Case, for two years; John Forbes, for three years; and Claude Campau, for one year.

1837. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, John L. Near; Assessors, Augustus Button, James Vreeland, B. S. Hicks; Highway Commissioners, Thomas Harryman, Leaman Bronson, Claude Campau ; Overseers of the Poor. John Clark, C. Van Horn; School Inspectors, James Grieve, Jesse A. Dearborn, Nathaniel Case ; Constables, R. Wallace, B. F. Knapp, Ransom Curtis; Collector, R. Wallace; Justice of the Peace, John Clark, Jr.

1838. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, John L. Near; Assessors, B. S. Hicks, C. Van Horn, Peter Navarre ; Highway Commissioners, Thomas Harryman, Leamen Bronson, John Cook ; Justice of the Peace, Alman Dunbar; Collector, Rensselaer Wallace; Constables, R. Wallace, B. F. Knapp, C. P. Waterman, P. B. Smith, Ransom Curtiss; Poor Directors, John Clark, Garret Vreeland; School Inspectors, H. P. Van Cleve, John L. Near, James Grieve.

1839. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, John L. Near; Justices of the Peace, Daniel Barnes, Civilian Morse ; Assessors, Henry Van Riper, Alva T. Armstrong, B. S. Hicks; Highway Commissioners, Daniel C. Vreeland, Thomas Harryman. Leamen Bronson; Collector, Ransom Curtiss; Constables, Jacob Loss, B. F. Knapp, John M. Alvord, Ransom Curtiss; Treasurer, John Forbes; Poor Directors, B. S, Hicks, D. C. Vreeland; School Inspectors, John L. Near, James Grieve, John Cook.

1840. Supervisor, John Cook; Clerk, John L. Near; Assessors, James Van Riper, Jr, Benj. F. Knapp, B. S. Hicks; Highway Commissioners, Thomas Harryman, Wm. Milliman, Alexander Wallace; Justices of the Peace. Russell Ransom, Wm. Button, Wm. Busenbark; Collector, Ransom Curtiss; Treasurer, John Cook; Poor Directors, B. S. Hicks, D. C. Vreeland ; School Inspectors, John L. Near, Augustus Button, Henry Woodruff; Constables, Ransom Curtiss, David Wallace, Charles Conrad, David Milliman.

1841. Supervisor, Thomas Harryman; Clerk, John L. Near; Assessors, James Van Riper, Jr., Stephen Webster. Charles F. Conrad; Highway Commissioners, Leaman Bronson, B. F. Woodruff, Wm. Milliman; Justices of the Peace, B. S. Hicks, Augustus Button, Ezra Coan; Collector, Alexander Wallace; School Inspectors, John L. Near, Russell Ransom, Henry Woodruff; Poor Directors, John Clark, D. C. Vreeland; Treasurer, Thomas Harryman ; Constables, Alexander Wallace, David Milliman; R. Curtiss. Wm. Aspinwali.

1842. Supervisor, Thomas Harryman; Clerk, Daniel C. Vreeland; Assessors, John Forbes, James Van Riper, Jr.; Highway Commissioners, Eli Kellogg, Samuel Hendricks, Benj. F. Woodruff; Treasurer, Alexander Wallace ; Justices of the Peace, Alanson Parsons, Joseph Selden; Poor Directors, John Clark, Ransom Curtiss; School Inspectors, John Cook, John L. Near, Rensselaer Wallace; Con- stables, A. Wallace, Wm. B. Hitchcock, Lewis Strong, Selah Dustin.

1843. Supervisor, Thomas Harryman; Clerk, Daniel C. Vreeland; Assessors, John Forbes, James Van Riper, Jr.; Justices of the Peace, Leaman Bronson; Treasurer, Alexander Wallace; Highway Commissioners, Benj. F. Woodruff, Chas. F. Conrad, Geo. A. Hitchcock; School Inspectors, John L. Near, E. W. Stoddard; Poor Directors, D. C. Vreeland, Lewis Moores; Constables, R. Curtiss, Lewis Strong, Alexander Wallace, Miles B. Coon.

1844. Supervisor, Daniel C. Vreeland; Clerk, Geo. W. Moore; Assessors, James Van Riper, George Carson; Justice of the Peace, Russell Ransom; Treasurer, Wm. Munger; Highway Commissioners, E. W. Stoddard, Abner Tood, Claude Campau; School Inspector, E. W. Stoddard; Poor Directors, D. C. Vreeland. George A. Hitchcock ; Constables, Fred. S. Conrad, Alex. Wallace, Lewis Titus, Wm B. Hitchcock.

1845. Supervisor, Horatio P. Van Cleve; Clerk, John L. Near; Justice of the Peace, Daniel C. Vreeland; Treasurer, Wm. B. Hitchcock; Highway Commissioners, Amasa Strong, Elias Vreeland, Geo. Busenbark; School Inspector, Horatio P. Van Cleve; Poor Directors, John Forbes, A. Wallace; Constables, John Smith, A. Wallace, J. Vreeland, M B. Coon.

1846. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, John L Near; Justices of the Peace, Benj. F. Woodruff, Walter McFarlane; Assessors, B. F. Knapp, E. W. Stoddard; Treasurer, Wm. J Duddleson; Highway Commissioners, George A. Hitchcock, John Miller, Amasa Strong; School Inspectors, E. W. Stoddard, John Cook; Poor Directors, Simon Rumsey, B. F. Knapp; Constables, Alex Wallace, Wm. J. Duddleson, D. Wallace, Jarvis Van Cleve.

1847. Supervisor, Joseph Selden ; Clerk, Henry Woodruff; Treasurer, Timothy Stiles ; Justice of the Peace, John Smith ; Assessors, D. C. Vreeland, Wm. J. Duddleson; Poor Directors, James Van Riper, Ransom Curtiss; Highway Commissioners, for one year, Walter McFarlane, Jr., for two years, George A. Hitchcock, for three years, Ezra Coon; School Inspector, John F. Peters; Constables, James Van Riper, James Vreeland, Wm. B. Hitchcock, Lewis Strong.

1848. Supervisor, John Forbes; Clerk, John L Near; Treasurer, Abner Wood; Justice of the Peace, Wm. J. Duddleson; Assessors, Daniel Littlefield, Walter McFarlane, Jr.; Highway Commissioners, Joseph Selden, Hiram Blakely; Poor Directors, R. Curtiss, D. Littlefield ; School Inspector, E. W. Stoddard ; Constables, Wm. B. Hitchcock, Benj. F. Knapp, D. Wallace, D. Littlefield.

1849. Supervisor, John Cook; Clerk, Thomas N. Thompson ; Treasurer, Eli Kellogg; Justice of the Peace, Jonathan Metcalf; Assessors, Joseph Viles, Joseph Selden; Highway Commissioner, Abner Hard; School Inspector, John A. Peters; Poor Directors, John Forbes, Jacob Miller; Constables, Orson W. Bruce, D. Littlefield, John Eldred, John W. Van Riper.

1850. Supervisor, Benjamin F. Knapp; Clerk, C. G. Littlefield; Treasurer, Emanuel Lewis; Justice of the Peace, Cornelius Van Riper ; Assessors, Hiram Blakely, Nicholas W. Van Riper; Highway Commissioners, Stephen Mawnawsaw, James Van Riper ; School Inspector, Thomas N. Thompson; Poor Directors, Jacob Miller, Garret Garretson; Constables, J. C. Van Riper, John W. Van Riper, John Eldred, Garret Garretson.

1851. Supervisor, John L. Near; Clerk, Vincent Y. Penoyar; Treasurer, Emanuel Lewis; Justice of the Peace, George Carson, Claude Campau; Assessors, N. W. Van Riper, B. F. Knapp; Highway Commissioners, Abner Wood, Hiram Blakely; Overseers of the Poor, Russell Ransom. John L. Near; School Inspector, R.B. Murray; Constables, John Eldred, B. F. Knapp, John P. Reeve, George Langs.

1852. Supervisor. George Carson; Clerk, Vincent Y. Penoyar ; Treasurer. Stephen Mawnawsaw; Justices of the Peace, Wm. J. Duddleson, Ransom Curtiss; Highway Commissioner, Thomas S. Pattee; Assessors, Wm. J. Duddleson, Samuel Stewart; Poor Directors, John Forbes, Ransom Curtiss ; School Inspector. John Cook ; Constables, John W. Van Riper, John Eldred, B F. Knapp, Garret Garretson.

1853. Supervisor, George Carson; Clerk, Vincent Y. Penoyar ; Treasurer, Stephen Mawnawsaw; Justice of the Peace, John Metcalf, John M. Alvord; Highway Commissioner, John L Near; Assessors, John W. Carson, Samuel Stewart; School Inspectors, John M. Thompson: Poor Directors, Garret Garretson, C. Van Riper; Constables, Garret Garretson, Henry Mawnawsaw, George Langs, John W. Van Riper.

1854. Supervisor, Benjamin F. Knapp; Clerk, George W. Frasier; Treasurer, John W. Van Riper; Justice of the Peace, John L. Near; Highway Commissioner, Abner Wood; School Inspector, R. B. Murray; Poor Directors, Garret Garretson, C. Van Riper; Constables, Henry Mawnawsaw, John W. Van Riper, George Langs, Edward Ramsdell.

1855. Supervisor, R. B. Murray; Clerk, Oscar W. Bruce, C G. Littlefield, each part of a year; Justice of the Peace, George Carson; Treasurer, John W. Van Riper; Highway Commissioner, Joseph Van Horn; School Inspector; Joseph Pierson ; Poor Directors, Garret Garretson, B. F. Knapp; Constables, E. C. Ramsdell, Tunis Van Cleve, John W. Van Riper, Henry Mawnawsaw.

1856. Supervisor, Benj. F. Knapp; Clerk, W. S. Morey; Treasurer, John W. Van Riper; Highway Commissioner, John N. Hitchcock ; School Inspector, R. B. Murray; Poor Directors, Garret Garretson, E. C Ramsdell; Justice of the Peace, J. M. Alvord; Constables, O B. Alford, E. C. Ramsdell, Tunis Van Cleve, E. Galpin.

1857. Supervisor, John W. Van Riper; Clerk, Garret Garretson, Jr ; Treasurer, Seth Jones ; Justice of the Peace, Garret Garretson, Sr.; Highway Commissioner, Alexander Parsons ; School Inspector, Vincent Y. Penoyar; Poor Directors, Moses Rumsey, Adrian Van Riper; Constables, Titus Van Cleve, Edson Montoyne, Enoch Seton, James Vreeland.

1858. Supervisor, Benj. F. Knapp ; Clerk, Freeland Garretson; Treasurer, Seth Jones; Justice of the Peace, Vincent Y. Penoyar; Highway Commissioner, Stephen Mawnawsaw ; School Inspector, Joseph A. Pierson ; Poor Directors, T. A. Armstrong. Joseph Van Horn; Constables, Isaac Navarre, Edson Montoyne, Tunis Van Cleve, Evelin Galpen.

1859. Supervisor. John W. Hitchcock; Clerk, Freeland Garretson; Treasurer, G. Garretson; Justice of the Peace, George Carson ; School Inspector, Hiram W. Lobdell; Overseers of the Poor, Moses Rumsey. Thos A. Armstrong; Highway Commissioner, A. Broadrick; Constables, James Hooks, James Vreeland, Benj. Fierson, O. B. Alfred.

1860. Supervisor, John W. Hitchcock; Clerk, Willet S. Morey; Treasurer, John H Peters; Justice of the Peace, John Miller ; Highway Commissioner, Benj. F. Knapp; School Inspector, Jacob E. Vreeland ; Overseers of the Poor, Josiah Chase, Ransom Curtiss; Constables, Orson W. Bruce, Benj Alford, James Vreeland, Elisha Anson.

1861. Supervisor, John W. Van Riper; Clerk, F. Garretson; Treasurer, A. A. Van Riper; Justice of the Peace, J. A. Pierson; School Inspector, Seward Vreeland; Highway commissioner, Joseph H. Hanchet; Overseers of the Poor, Josiah Chase, Lewis Vreeland; Constables, W. L. Walters, Evelin Galpin, Elisha Anson, Benj. Alfred.

1862. Supervisor, John W. Van Riper; Clerk, F. Garretson; Treasurer, A. A. Van Riper; Justice of the Peace, John Cone ; Highway Commissioner, J B. Van Horn; School Inspector, H. W. Lobdell; Overseers of the Poor, Josiah Chase, Jacob Miller; Constables, David Milliman, James Vreeland, Frank Springstead, John Loss.

1863. Supervisor, John W. Van Riper; Clerk, Freeland Garretson ; Treasurer, A. A. Van Riper; Justice of the Peace, George Carson; School Inspector, Cornelius Munger; Highway Commissioners, Moses Rumsey, Jacob Miller; Directors of the Poor, Cornelius Holstein, Josiah Chase; Constables, John P. Reeves, James Hooks, Frank Springstead, Robert Navarre.

1864 Supervisor, J. W. Van Riper; Clerk, M J. Vreeland ; Treasurer, E. W. Parsons ; Justices of the Peace, A. Hosmer, Jr, A. Marandett; School Inspector, J. A. Pierson; Highway Commissioner, - Guilfoil; Poor Directors, Josiah Chase, Moses Rumsey; Constables, Jesse Dowling, M. Pruyee, Conrad Pierson, Evelin Galpin.

1865. Supervisor, John N. Hitchcock; Clerk, Cyrus Stiles; Treasurer, Marcus Warden; Justice of the Peace, Romeyn B. Murray, W. J. Duddleson, Benj. F. Woodruff; Highway Commissioners, John Lindsley, Joseph Van Horn; School Inspector, Irving T. Wood ; Poor Directors, James Galt, Austin Fay; Constables, Henry F. Long, John Loss, Lewis Chandler, Oliver B. Alford.

1866. Supervisor, John N. Hitchcock; Clerk, Cyrus Stiles; no further record of officers obtainable as the record is destroyed.

1867. Supervisor, John N. Hitchcock; Clerk, Arthur E. Boylan; Treasurer, James H. Hitchcock; Justice of the Peace, John G. Carson; Highway Commissioners, Joseph Van Horn, John Collard ; Poor Directors, James Gault, Sylvester D. Bates; School Inspector, Irving T. Wood; Constables, Edward C. Ramsdell, George Hitchcock, Daniel Bentley, Herman Alford.

1868. Supervisor, Benj. F, Knapp; Clerk, S. S. Potter; Treasurer, James H. Hitchcock; Justice of the Peace, Herman Alford; Highway Commissioner, Samuel Boyer; School Inspector, Andrew Miller; Poor Directors, Sylvester Bates, James Gault; Constables, Edward C. Ramsdell, Henry Terwilliger, Silvester Stoddard, Daniel Bently.

1869. Supervisor, Wm. H. Hooper; Clerk, Albert Hosmer, Jr.; Treasurer, Benj. W. Pierson; Justice of the Peace, Joseph A. Pierson; Highway Commissioner, Henry C. Hendricks; School Inspector, Charles Stoflet; Poor Directors, James Gault, Barzaleal Clago; Constables, Wm. B. Hitchcock, Samuel Hanchet, Tunis Van Cleve, Charles T. Clark.

1870. Supervisor, William Stoflet; Clerk, Freeland Garretson; Justice of the Peace, Irwin T. Wood; Highway Commissioner, Lorant Bondy, John Collard; School Inspector, Barzaleal Clago; Poor Directors, James Gault, Stephen Mawnawsaw; Constables, Frank Blakely, Sylvester Stoddard. Jesse Doling, Charles Merrell.

1871. Supervisor, Wm. Stoflet; Clerk, Wm. S. Vreeland; Treasurer, Enoch Seaton; Justice of the Peace, John G. Carson; School Inspector, Andrew Miller; Drain Commissioner, James Campbell; Highway Commissioner, Tunis Van Cleve; Overseers of the Poor, James Gault, Wm. Chase; Constables, Franklin Blakely, John Brown, Wm. B. Hitchcock, Benj. Alford.

1872. Supervisor, Wm. Stoflet; Clerk, Edwin Ransom; Treasurer, Clinton D. Peters; Justice of the Peace, M. J. Vreeland ; Highway Commissioner, Henry Harryman; Drain Commissioner, James Campbell; School Inspectors, Barzaleai Clago, B. F. Woodruff: Poor Directors, Barton Van Horn, Samuel Chase ; Constables, Jacob E. Vreeland, F. H. Blakely, Tunis Van Cleve.

1873. Supervisor, Wm. Stoflet; Clerk, Freeland Garretson; Treasurer, Wm. F. Stoflet; Justices of the Peace, Jacob E. Vreeland, Seth C. Hanchet; Highway Commissioner, Thomas D. Cooke; Drain Commissioner, J. P. Reed ; School Inspector, Sylvester D. Bates; Poor Directors, James Gault, Barton Van Horn; Constables, Frank H. Blakely. Wm. B. Hitchcock, Wm. Stead, Tunis Van Cleve; Sylvester Bates, declining to qualify as school Inspector, B. F. Woodruff was appointed.

1874. Supervisor, Wm. Stoflet; Clerk, F. Garretson ; Treasurer, Wm. F. Stoflet; Justices of the Peace, Irving T. Wood, John J. Miller; Highway Commissioner, George McDonald ; Drain Commissioner, B. Clago; School Inspectors, John G. Carson, A. J. Montgomery ; Poor Directors, Samuel Chase, Henry Jones; Constables, Wm. E. Bigelow, Samuel Bailey, Daniel D. Bently, Frederick Lafleur.

1875. Supervisor, John Wood; Clerk, Curtis L. Mettler; Treasurer, Wm. F. Stoflet; Justice of the Peace, George Carson; Superintendent of Schools, J. B. Reed; Highway Commissioner, Samuel Hendricks; Drain Commissioner, John Morrison; School Inspector, Morand Thompson; Poor Directors, Samuel Chase, Tunis Van Cleve ; Constables, F. H. Blakely, Fred. Lafleur, Jacob E. Rupert, Charles Springstead.

1876. Supervisor, Samuel Hendricks; Clerk, Albert W. Wager; Treasurer, Charles W. Butler; Justice of the Peace, Peter E. Williams; Superintendent of Schools, J. P. Reed ; Highway Commissioner, George McDonald; Drain Commissioner, Barton Van Horn ; School Inspector, Thomas D. Cooke; Poor Directors, Samuel Chase, Enoch Langs; Constables, Thomas Brown, Jacob E. Rupert, F. H. Blakely, John R. Hulbert. 1877. Supervisor, Samuel T. Hendricks; Clerk. Arthur K. Wager ; Treasurer, Charles W. Butler; Justice of the Peace, Freeland Garretson; Superintendent of Schools, A. T. Montgomery; Highway Commissioner, Henry Jones ; Drain Commissioner, John Groh ; School Inspector, Morand Thompson; Constables, Samuel Smith, Wm. E. Bigelow, Richard Brown, John R. Hulbert.

1878. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Robert Wells; Treasurer, Nelson F. Olmstead; Justices of the Peace, Herman Alford, Daniel Brown ; Superintendent of Schools, Freeland Garretson; School Inspector, Wm. Carson ; Highway Commissioner, Robert Brighton ; Drain Commissioner, Ezra I. Guilfoy; Constables, Wm. E. Bigelow, Charles Stoup, Wm. Milliman, John Hulbert. 1879. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet: Clerk, Cornelius G. Munger ; Treasurer, Nelson F. Olmstead; Justice of the Peace, George McDonald ; Superintendent of Schools, F. Garretson ; School Inspector, D. H. Gregory; Highway Commissioner, Robert Brighton ; Drain Commissioner, John Groh ; Constables, John D. Loss, F. Dowling, Charles Springstead, Wm. Milliman.

1880. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Arthur K. Wagar: Treasurer, John P. Reeves; Justice of the Peace, James Parsons ; Superintendent of Schools, John Collins; School Inspector, Wm. H. Stoddard : Highway Commissioner, Cornelius Collins; Drain Commissioner, Alexander Marantett; Constables. Wm. Milliman, E. Milliman, Spencer Langdon, Elliot Gray.

1881. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Arthur K. Wagar; Treasurer, John P. Reeves; Justices of the Peace, F. Garretson, Wm. Maynard ; Highway Commissioner, George McDonald ; Superintendent of Schools, Wm. H. Stoddard; School Inspector, Daniel H. Gregory ; Constables, Wm. Milliman, T. M. Munger, Edward E. Milliman, Wm. Dwyer.

1882. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, J. C. Van Riper; Treasurer, A. R. Reading; Justice of the Peace, Irving T. Wood; School Inspectors, Thos. D. Cooke, two years, Wm. Spedding, one year; Highway Commissioner, N. F. Olmstead; Drain Commissioner, W. Clago; Constables, Wm. Milliman, Thos. M. Munger, Wm. Dwyer, Ed. Milliman

1883. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Jos. A. B. Wolven; Treasurer, Andrew Reading; Justice of the Feace, George McDonald; Highway Commissioner, Nelson F. Olmstead; School Inspector, Wm. Spedding; Constables, Edward Milliman, John J. Loss, William Milliman, Thomas M. Munger.

1884. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Charles W. Langs; Treasurer, John P. Reed; Justice of the Peace, Cornelius Springstead; Highway Commissioner, Wesley Littlefield ; Drain Commissioner, Edward Milliman ; School Inspectors, Freeland Garretson, Thomas D. Cooke; Constables, Thomas M. Munger, Wm. Milliman, John Brown, Frederick Dowling.

1885. Supervisor, Wm. F. Stoflet; Clerk, Joseph A. Pierson; Treasurer, John P. Reed; Justices of the Peace, Freeland Garretson, James Parsons; Highway Commissioner, Napoleon Valrance ; School Inspector, John Collins ; Constables, Thomas M. Munger, Paulete Valekat, Edward Sullivan, John McCourt, Jr.

1886. Supervisor, Andrew R. Reading; Clerk, Joseph A. Pierson ; Treasurer, J. P. Reed ; Justices of the Peace, Irving T. Wood, John H. Lobdell; Highway Commissioner, Napolean Valrance; Drain Commissioner, George McDonald; School Inspector, Thomas D. Cooke; Constables, Spencer Langdon, Wm. Milliman, Frank Springstead, Lewis Girard

1887. Supervisor, Andrew R. Reading; Clerk, Wm. Speicher; Treasurer, J. P. Reed; Justice of the Peace, Royal Smith; School Inspector, Willet S. Morey; Constables, W. B. Littlefield,Wm. Milliman, Walter Clago, Isaac Navarre.

1888 Supervisor, A. R. Reading; Clerk, Wm. Speicher; Treasurer, Ira S. Miller; Justice of the Peace. Wm. Spears; Highway Commissioner, Wm. Milliman ; Drain Commissioner, George McDonald; School Inspector, Thomas D. Cooke; Constables, Wesley B. Littlefield, Wm. Milliman, W. H. Stoddard, Lewis Strong.

1889. Supervisor, Andrew R. Reading; Clerk, John L. Near; Treasurer, Ira S. Miller; Justice of the Peace, Thos. D. Cooke; Highway Commissioner, Walter Clago; School Inspector, W. S. Morey; Constables. W. B. Littlefield, N. Valrance, E. Dennison, V. Van Cleve.

1890. Supervisor, J. P. Reed; Clerk, Wm. Speicher; Treasurer, A. W. Wagar; School Inspector, F. Garretson; Justice of the Peace, F. T. Bondy; Justice of the Peace, to fill vacancy, G. W. McDonald ; Highway Commissioner, Walter Clago; Drain Commissioner, James Mathewson; Constable, McGlora Mawnawsaw.

POPULATION.

The population of the township in various decades has been as follows: In 1850, 1025. In 1860, 1880. In 1870, 2037. In 1880, 2567. The valuation of the township at various periods has been as follows: 1840, $155,488; 1850, $63,601; 1860, $133,390; 1870, $217,620; 1880, $804,897.

SCHOOLS.

The number of scholars in the township in 1846, was 215, and in other years as follows: 1850, 328; 1860,530; 1872, 780; 1880,930; 1888, 868.

In 1889, there was a total of ten school-houses costing $19,675, with a seating capacity of 901; 668 pupils were enrolled with an average attendance of 502. The school libraries contained 1783 volumes.

INDIANS AND TREATIES.

Primarily of course the land was in possession of the Indians, and by treaties of 1785, 1795, an 1807 they conveyed to the United States all the land they possessed in Wayne County. By Act of February 28, 1809, Congress conveyed back to, or reserved for the Indians two tracts of land including the two Indian villages of Brownstown and Maguaga. By treaty of September 20, 1818, the Wyandotte Indians again ceded their rights to these tracts and in lieu thereof were granted 4996 acres in what is now Huron township,

Early in the century the two leading chiefs of the Wyandottes in Michigan were named, Roundhead and Walk-in-the-Water. The former lived at the main Wyandotte village, which was where Gibraltar is now located ; the latter at what is now Wyandotte. These two chiefs took opposite sides during the war of 1812, or rather Walk-in-the-Water took a neutral position, while Roundhead was active in furthering the interests of the British, as was also Chief Warrow, who was leading chief of the Wyandottes, on the Canada side of the Detroit river. Blue Jacket was the name of another important Wyandotte chief. He possessed much mental vigor, owned a large tract of land and in his latter years lived in much the same manner as his white neighbors

As early as the year 1800, there was an Indian village near the mouth of the Detroit river, on the American side, known as Brownstown, and during the war of 1812, a severe battle was fought there. It should be remembered that this Indian village of Brownstown was cast of the later, and present village of Flat Rock, formerly called Brownstown. The Indian village occupied land that would now be described as on Section 2 of Town 5 South, Range 10 East.

STREAMS AND NAMES.

Many of the streams in the county have lost their original names, and even the streams, in many cases have disappeared by reason of the hundreds of drainage ditches, which have been dug in the various townships. Some of these in part follows the routes of old streams and in other cases an entirely new drainage route has been selected; and the bed of the original stream has been filled with dirt from a new ditch.

Brownstown Creek was of course named from the township through which it flows. Huron River the largest stream in the county perpetuates the name of the old Indian tribe. Muddy Creek has a name that indicates its own significance. Silver Creek was so named because of its bright and silvery appearance.

In the extreme N. E. quarter of Section 32 on the Thomas Quirk farm, there is a sulphur spring, which has been flowing since the recollections of the oldest settler, converting the adjoining land into a swamp. The spring will probably be utilized at an early day in connection with a health resort, as it is the largest in the State.

CEMETERIES.

The Flat Rock burial ground was deeded to the public in 1835, by Elias and Nancy Vreeland; and is located on Section 31, Town 4 South, Range 10 East, about half a mile northeast of the village. The lots therein are free to all, the expense of the taking care of the grounds being raised by contribution. The cemetery contains one and one-third acres About two miles northeast of Flat Rock, on the Rumsey farm, there is a burial ground known as the Rumsey burying ground, which has been used for over fifty years, About ten years ago J. R. Vreeland laid out a cemetery about a mile north of Rumsey's, and for some thirty years a cemetery known as the Van Horn cemetery has been located just southwest of Trenton. A Protestant cemetery, just out of Gibraltar, has been in use for about forty years, and the Catholic grounds near by for ten years.

FLAT ROCK, FORMERLY BROWNSTOWN.

This village lies on the Huron River on Section 31 of Town 4 South, Range 10 East, and on the line of the Detroit Branch of the L. S. & M. S. Railroad, which was opened in 1873.

The site of the village was originally platted in 1834, as Vreeland, by Jacob Vreeland. By Act of March 6, 1838, the name was changed to Flat Rock, the Post-office, however, for many years was known as Brownstown. In its earliest days the locality was known as “ Smooth Rock,” and in common with all the earlier villages of Michigan, it possessed anticipations of brilliant commercial prosperity.

.An Act of April 3, 1838, incorporated the Gibraltar and Flat Rock Company, which was to be composed of B. B. Kercheval, Joshua Howard, Phineas Davis, Enoch Jones, James H. Forsyth, Peter Godfrey, Harry Conant, Charles Noble, and such others as chose to associate with them. The company was incorporated for the purpose of building a city at the mouth of the Detroit river, and at Flat Rock, on the river Huron, and for the purpose of improving the harbor of Gibraltar at the mouth of the Detroit river.” The Act also authorized the company to erect “ piers, wharves, warehouses, and other necessary buildings and improvements, and to connect the village of Flat Rock by a canal with the City of Gibraltar.” It was also authorized to construct a branch canal from Gibraltar to Ypsilanti. By a supplementary Act of April 17, 1839, they were empowered to increase their capital to one million dollars. The company actually expended about $100,000 on these projects but the canal was never completed or used.

In 1838, the village of Flat Rock had four stores, two saw mills, a flour mill, and about 250 inhabitants. Within two years after, the canal project was entirely dead, and the hopes of its projectors had vanished. The population in 1880, was 373. There is a very well conducted school in a substantial brick building which cost $12,000, and there is also a public hall seating about 1,000.

The Huron Valley Mill at Flat Rock, was built in 1838, by Jacob and Curran Vreeland, and remained in their family until November, 1871, when it was purchased by M. H. Mettler, it is a fifty barrel mill with two run of stone and apparatus of the roller process. The Flat Rock Mills, built in 1858, by J. A. B. Wolvin, were sold by him to Stile & Wallace, and by them sold to Redding & Near, in 1868. They were purchased in October, 1871, by G. W. Mettler & Son, and by them operated for custom work. Both mills obtain power from the Huron river, and there is an abundance of water power which as yet has not been utilized.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.

This church may be properly called the successor of the Huron or Wyandotte Mission. This mission was originally organized for the benefit of the Wyandotte Indians, who lived on a reservation on the Huron river, just west of the present village of Flat Rock. The following account of a visit by the Rev. J. B. Finley to this mission is given in his History of the Wyandottes, he says: “Late in the afternoon of Sunday, December 14, 1823, we arrived at the Huron river, on the Wyandotte reserve of eight sections. Here we had a very formidable difficulty to encounter. The river was just fordable, and frozen on both sides for two or more rods. We alighted, took our tomahawks and cut the ice; then jumped our horses down into the water, got on and rode to the ice on the opposite shore. Here we sat on our horses and cut the ice, when the water was more than midsides deep; and I think a colder day I hardly ever experienced. After staying in the water nearly half an hour, we got on the ice and were not out of the water ten minutes before our clothes were frozen stiff; and then we had two miles to go before we should arrive at any house. We set off at full speed and arrived at sundown at the residence of our old friend Honnis, where we were most cordially and heartily welcomed, and our wants were comfortably supplied. How good it is even in a land of savages, to find a friend and a welcome in the hour of need; and never were men more kindly received than we were on this occasion. This being the Sabbath (though it had been our intention to reach this place on Saturday, but the roads and weather had prevented), we immediately sent forth word in the village that we would hold meeting at night. All were in attendance. I tried to preach, and brothers Mononcue and Gray-eyes exhorted. Then we invited such as were seeking religion to come forward to be prayed for. Several came, whom we endeavored to point to the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sin of the world. Some of them believed with the heart unto righteousness. The next morning we had meeting again, and formed a class of twelve members. This was the first Indian class formed in the Michigan Territory.”

From the time of Finley's visit services were maintained with considerable regularity, and at a session of the Ohio Conference, held at Columbus in October, 1825, Rev. Mr. Finley was appointed in charge of the mission. In addition to looking after the spiritual welfare of the Indians, the early white settlers naturally became the subjects of his care and of the itinerant ministers who came after him. In 1833 the building of a church was strongly urged by Rev. Elias Pattee and others, and in the spring of 1834, as soon as the frost was out of the ground, they began the erection of a building, and services were held in it during the summer by Rev. W. H. Brockway, Rev. A. Buckles, and Rev. E. Pattee.

It was fully completed in the fall, under the supervision of Elnathan C. Gavitt, then in charge of the mission. In 1833-4 the society was known as the Smooth Rock and Wyandotte Mission, and in 1835 was attached to the Ohio Conference, but up to 1838 it was called the Huron Mission, with no regular minister, except as supplied from time to time from Trenton and other adjacent charges. The pulpit was supplied in 1833, 1836-1838, by the Rev. W. H. Brockway; in 1834-5, by Revs. E. C. Gavitt, A. Buckles, Elias Pattee; in 1843-5, by Rev. R. Pengelleyand Rev. George King. In 1846 it became a separate charge, since which the pulpit has been supplied by the following pastors: 1846, Rev. Wm. H. Haze; 1847, Rev. G. F. Hemminway; 1850, Rev. S. C. Woodard, Rev. Isaac C. Abbott; 1851, Rev. R. Bird; 1852, Rev. S. C. Stringham; 1853, Rev. B. F. Doughty; 1854. Rev. Richard McConnell and Rev. R. Johnson; 1855. Rev. Richard McConnell; 1856, Rev. Jedediah Dwelle; 1857, Rev. J. J. Smith; 1858, Rev. J. J. Gridley and Rev. James R. Cordon; 1859, Rev. J. J. Gridley; 1860-1, Rev Thomas Wakelin; 1862-3, Rev. Rufus C. Crane; 1864-5, Rev. Alfred Allen; 1866-7, Rev. George Stowe; 1868-9, Rev. S. Kitzmiller; 1870-2, Rev. Jesse Kilpatrick; 1873-4, Rev. James Kilpatrick; 1875-6, Rev. Alexander Gee; 1877-8, Rev. Andrew W. Miller; 1879-1880, Rev. N. W. Pierce; 1881-3, Rev* Wm. J. Clack; 1884, Rev. J. L. Walker; 1885-7, Rev. William Cook; 1888, Rev. Lewis N. Moon.

In 1849, Moses and John Vreeland donated the society a lot, and in the same year a new church was built, at a cost of about $1,600, with a seating capacity of about 300. The present valuation of the property, including the parsonage, is about $2,000. During a revival in the winter of 1888-9, the membership was largely increased. The first Sunday School in connection with the Methodist Episcopal Church in Flat Rock, and the first in Wayne County, outside of Detroit, was organized May 3d, 1835.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,

This church was established about 1832, by Peleg F. Clark. The society began the erection of a church, but his removal to Ohio caused the interest in the work to cease, and the church died out. In 1856, F. I. Clark came to Flat Rock with the intention of reviving the old church, but was persuaded by Dr. Kitchell, of Detroit, to organize a Congregational Church. The former members were accordingly gathered together, the services of Rev. James Nall, of Wyandotte, obtained, and in September, 1857, a church was organized. The church lot was donated by Mrs. R. B. Murray. Messrs. F. I. Clark and S. A. Whipple were elected deacons, and a frame church was finished and dedicated in the summer of 1861, at a cost of about $1,200. It seats 300. The Rev. Mr. Nall continued in charge about two years,and in 1859 was succeeded by Rev. --Mackinne, who remained until 1865, and was followed by Rev. Robert Parsons, who served in 1867-8, Rev. P. Barker serving in 1888. The present church property is valued at $1,500, and there is a membership of sixty.

ST. MARY'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

This congregation was organized as early as 1847, and a church was built on the old United States Road, near Rockwood, by Father Louis. He was succeeded by Rev. J. Van Gennip, in 1853; by Rev. Girard, in 1862; Rev. Dr. Montebrick, in 1868; Rev. C. J. Manger, in 1870; Rev. M. H. Schacker, in 1871; Rev. P. J. DeSmedt, in 1873; Rev. M. Dekiere, in 1874; Rev. E. Maesfranc, in 1876; Rev. N. W. Grimme, in 1879, Rev. B. G. Soffers and Rev. - Debroux, since 1880. In the spring of 1880, the foundation of a fine brick church was laid, on land donated by Stephen Mawnawsaw, and in June, 1880, the church was consecrated by the Right Rev. C. H. Borgess, Bishop of Detroit. The cost of the church was $5,000, and it seats 400 The present value of the property, including a fine brick parsonage on the adjoining lot, is $8,000. The congregation numbers 130 families.

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.

This society was organized in 1872, and on January 1st, 1874, dedicated their church. The lot cost $250 and the building $4,000, and it will seat 200. The society began with fifteen members, and in 1885 had thirty members. The pastors have been as follows : Rev. W. R. Northrup, March 1, 1873 to 1874; Rev. Wm. Buxton, April, 1874, to 1876; Rev L. P. Tompkins, September, 1876, to September, 1877; Rev. D. J. Parker, December, 1879, to December, 1880: Rev. T. H. Cary, September, 1882, to September, 1885.

A Masonic Lodge, known as the Hiram Lodge, No. 110, was organized in 1859.

In the fall of 1883, H. Egabroad published a paper called the Flat Rock Journal, but after one year it was discontinued.

GIBRALTAR.

This place is on the Toledo Division of the M. C. R. R. The plat of the village was recorded in 1837, by B. B. Kercheval, Joshua Howard and Peter Godfrey, trustees of the Gibraltar and Flat Rock Company. It was named Gibraltar because it was located near the entrance to Lake Erie, its noted namesake being near the entrance to the sea. It was expected that this would be one of the important cities of the strait. In 1838 the wildcat Bank of Gibraltar was here located, and, according to Blois’s Gazetteer, the place had “ one large storehouse, two stores, a large hotel, and perhaps fifteen or twenty families." A lighthouse was erected, and about 150 feet of wharf built. The Flat Rock and Gibraltar canal terminated here. The lighthouse was maintained until the spring of 1879, and was then discontinued because of the establishment of a light at the mouth of the river. The Bank of Gibraltar was enjoined and closed up the same year that it started, and the Canal Company came to grief soon after.

ROCKWOOD.

This village is located on the line of the L S. & M. S. R. R, and it is also a station on the Canada Southern branch of the M. C. R. R. It has a basket factory, and ships considerable amounts of wood and grain.

The Presbyterian Church at Rockwood began as a mission of the Flat Rock Church in 1860. A church was organized In the winter of 1885-6. A lot was donated by A. 13. Chapman, and a church, seating 200, was completed and dedicated in August, 1886, at a cost of $2,100. The church, when organized, had twenty members, and now has fifty. For many years a Methodist Episcopal Church class at Rockwood was cared for from Flat Rock, and on March 13th, 1886, under Rev. Wm. Cook, trustees were elected, and the first M. E. Church of Rockwood formed They purchased a lot for $60 and at once built a church costing $1,730. It was dedicated on Sunday, October 10th, 1886, is a fine frame building, seating about 200, and with other property owned by the church is valued at $2,500. The society has fifteen members.