TOWNS
CITIES
TOWNSHIPS

Wayne County Michigan

ALLEN PARK

Lewis Allen was five years old when his father, Thomas, brought this family from New York State to Detroit in 1819; Lewis became a lawyer and a lumberman whose land holdings included 276 1/2 acres, part of which is in today's Allen Park. The village was named in 1926; incorporated as a village in 1927 and as a city in 1957; R. Don Pretty became its first postmaster on Sept. 10, 1957; co-pioneer settler with Allen were Hugert Champagne and Edward Pepper.
Source: "Michigan Place Names" Past and Present Michigan Communities By Walter Roming 1986


Allen Park, MI (1950s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky