This village, located on Section 29, was laid out in 1857 by Francis J. Belden. It is on the line of
the F. & P. M. R. R. There is a Methodist Episcopal society here which was organized at Smithville. A church building was erected there and
dedicated in September. 1868. It was subsequently moved a mile and a half cast of Iteldcn. It will
seat 300. and the property is worth $1,800. The church originated in a class formed in 1841 by
Martin H. Ford, a local preacher. The charge was supplied from Dearborn ville Circuit, and from Flat
Rock; also at times from Belleville. After 1863 it was attached to Romulus, and more recently to the New Boston Circuit.
Post office created on September 27, 1873.
History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan By Silas Farmer 1894