Detroit Michigan

Michigan Central Railroad Depot

Postcard from 1909 contributed by Paul Petosky
This building burned down 26 December 1913



Detroit, MI (Michigan Central Station Waiting Room) (1910s) - Postcard from Paul Petosky

This leading and important trunk line was a successor to the Detroit & St. Joseph Road, Incorporated January 29, 1832, and sold to the State in 1837. In 1847 it was sold by the State to the Michigan Central Railroad Company for $2,000,000, and was by that corporation completed to Chicago in 1852. Since then the company has acquired a number of other lines, which, with the main line, form a vast system radiating from Detroit as a center. The system includes the Michigan Central proper, the Canada Southern, and the Detroit, Saginaw & Bay Cily Railroad. In the Michigan Central proper is included the main line from Chicago to Buffalo, 536.6 mile: the Juliet division, Lake to Juliet, 45; the Air Line division, Niles to Jackson, 103.4; South Bend division, Niles to South Bend, 11.1; South Haven division Kalamazoo to South Haven. 30.5; the Grand Rapids division, Jackson to Grand Rapids. 03.0; Saginaw division, Jackson to Bay City, 114.2; Mackinaw division, Bay City to Mackinaw City, 182; Beaver Lake branch, Beaver Lake to Sage Lake, 8; Pinconning Branch, Pinconniing to Bowers Bunch, 35; making a total of 1195.7 miles. The Canada Southern Railroad has a mileage of 214.7, of which the Toledo division, Detroit to Toledo, has 59.3; St. Clair division, St. Thomas to Courtwrigbt, 66.4; Michigan Midland and Canada division, Sr. Clair to Lenox, 15; Ambersbaugh division, Ambersbaugh to Essex Centre, 15.7; Petrolia division, Petrolia to Petrolia Junction, 5; Oil Spring division. Oil City Junction to Oil City. 2.4; Niagara division, Niagara Junction to Niagara, 27.0; Fort Eric division. Welland to Buffalo, 23 miles. The Detroit, Saginaw & Bay City Railroad has a total of 151.8 miles constructed, including the Bay City division, Detroit to Bay City, 108 miles; Saginaw branch, Vassar to Saginaw City, 22.3; Lapeer and Northern branch, Lapeer to Fire Lakes, 8.5; and the Caro branch, Vassar to Can 13 miles. Thus the Michigan Central has in operation 1,512.2 miles, in addition to which it has now eighteen miles of road in course of construction, from Mount Forest to Gluilwin has other extensions

The system is one of the most important in the Country, connecting by the most direct route the great cities of the Atlantic seaboard with the Northwest, and affording unexcelled facilities both for freight and passenger traffic. By its limited express trains New York is reached from Detroit, Chicago and all the West in less time than by any other route, and the various branches act as feeders to its main line. The general offices of the company are in Detroit, and the road forms one of the most importantt Adjuncts to the business of the city. The various lines tinder the management of the company are kept in first class condition, and its equipment is as complete in every respect as can be found in the country, a total of 12,165 cars being owned and operated by the company, us well as engines, tenders, etc.

The road gives employment to a large number of people in Detroit, and has been from the earliest days of its history an important factor in the material prosperity of the city. The depot of this company, on the corner of Third and Woodbridge streets, is one of the finest specimens of architecture in the city. It has a frontage of 1821/2; feet on Third street by 383 feet on Woodbridge street, and has a tower 157 feet high. This handsome and substantial structure was built in 1883 ai a cost of $250,000.



Michigan Central powerful electric motor operating through the
twin tubes under Detroit River, Detroit, MI (1914)
Postcard from Paul Petosky


Detroit Michigan

Michigan Central Railroad Depot

1913 - closed 5 January 1988

History Of Train Depot


POSTED: Wednesday, April 8, 2009
UPDATED: 12:19 pm EDT April 8, 2009

The Detroit train station is rich in history and is on the historical list. The nearly 100-year-old building was designed by the same architects who designed New York's Grand Central station. It was the second train depot in Detroit. The first burned down in 1913. It was very busy during World War II, but that changed once the automobile industry flourished. It was sold in 1985 and the last train departed on January 5, 1988. The building was permanently closed later that day. The building is 18 stories tall with 76-foot ceilings. The original walls and columns were made of marble. In 2004, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick announced the city would renovate the building for use for police headquarters. That proposal never took place. The building is abandoned and decaying quickly. Many windows are broken out and it has become home to many homeless and animals. It was used in several movies: Four Brothers, The Island and Transformers.



Detroit, MI (The Ramp - Michigan Central Depot) (1918) - Postcard from Paul Petosky

Line Divider
Home