This place, laid out in 1839 is on the northeast
quarter of section 25, and is named after Robert
Inkster, one of the early settlers. The post-office
was formerly called Moulin Rouge (Red Mills). It is
on the Michigan Central Railroad.
Methodist Episcopal Church at this place formed
part of the Huron Mission in 1832, and has always
been attached to either Wayne or Dearborn. The
church building was erected in 1860. It will seat
250, and is worth about $2,000.
Nankin Presbyterian Church, located about two miles
west of Inkster, was organized in August, 1840.
Their church building was first used on October 1,
1846. It will seat 140, and is worth about $300.
They had 17 members in 1840; 26 in 1850; 36 in
1860; 55 in 1870; 44 in 1880; and 52 in 1889. The
first pastor, Rev. Joshua A. Clayton, served from
1840 to 1845, when the church building was erected.
The society left the old school Presbyterian body,
and organized as an associate Presbyterian Society
subordinate to the Associate Presbytery of
Richland, Ohio. Joseph McClintock then served for
two years, and was followed by stated supplies at
short intervals, no less than forty different
ministers of the Associate and United Presbyterian
Churches serving until September, 1872, when the
church left the United Presbyterian Synod and
joined the Detroit Presbytery.
Source: History of Detroit and Michigan, Silas