Wayne County Michigan
The settlement which has grown into the village
of Plymouth began in 1825. In that year William
Starkweather made a clearing and erected a log
house on the site of the present village, where the
residence of John Fuller was afterwards located.
The same year J. S. Tibbits, Roswell Root, John Van
Sickle, and others, became his neighbors, and there
came soon afterwards A. B. Markham, John Miller,
Peter and Henry Fralick, Silas Sly, Rufus Thayer,
William and Hiram Utley, Lyman Terrill, Esquire
Taylor, John Welch, Benajah and Henry Holbrook.
About the same time the following persons also
settled in the town: Paul W. Hazen, Erastus Hussey,
David Phillips, Luther Lincoln, Wm. Markham, E. W.
Starkweather, henry Ward, Walter McFarlan, Wm.
Bartow, Timothy Lyon, John Westfall, Calvin Whipple
and Clark Griswold. The first white woman to
venture into the present limits of Plymouth was
Keziah, wife of Wm. Starkweather, and mother of
George A. Starkweather, who was the second white
child born in the township. The most of the
settlers of 1825 left their families for a time in
Detroit. The first white child born in the township
was Oscar Phillips, the son of David Phillips.
About 1830 there was an old log school-house on
the Detroit Road on the east side of the River
Rouge. This was replaced in 1840 by a frame house
erected on Lot 6, Block 6, of the Bradner Plat, the
lot being donated by Wm. Bradner. The building
remained until the Union District No. 1 was formed
in 1853. There was at one time a district school on
Ann Arbor Street. A select school was opened by E.
J. Penniman on Church Street in 1842. The building
is now used as the Berdan House barn. The very
commodious and well arranged Union School building
was erected in 1884 at a cost of $18,000. The
school is exceptionally well manned and managed,
and is divided into four departments, known as
Primary, Intermediate, Grammar, and High, with
courses of study not surpassed in any city schools.
An assortment of excellent philosophical and
chemical apparatus is provided, and there is also a
general library of 1,300 volumes, and a large and
valuable reference library. The general library is
open daily for pupils, and twice a month to the
Source: History of Detroit and Michigan, Silas Farmer, 1890