Rockwood, MI (Main Street
Looking East - 1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
This village is located on the line of the L. S.
& M. S. R. R., and it is also a station on the
Canada Southern branch of the M. C. R. R. It
has a basket factory, and ships considerable
amounts of wood and grain.
Church at Rockwood began as a mission of the Flat
Rock Church in 1860. A church was organized in the
winter of 1885-6. A lot was donated by A. B.
Chapman, and a church, seating 200, was completed
and dedicated in August, 1886, at a cost of $2,100.
The church, when organized, had twenty members, and
now has fifty.
For many years a Methodist
Episcopal Church class at Rockwood was cared for
from Flat Rock, and on March 13th, 1886, under Rev.
Wm. Cook, trustees were elected, and the first M.
E. Church of Rockwood formed. They purchased a lot
of $60 and at once built a church costing $1,730.
It was dedicated on Sunday, October 10th, 1886, is
a fine frame building, seating about 200, and with
other property owned by the church is valued at
$2,500. The society has fifteen members.
Rockwood, MI (Post Office
1950s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
Source: History of Detroit and Michigan, Silas