This village is located on fractional townships 18 and 19 of Town 4, South of Range 11 East. It is
on the line of the Canada Southern Branch of the M. C. R. R.. and is located on the highest ground
along the Detroit. It was first laid out by A. C. Truax in 1834, and was then called Truaxton, and
subsequently Truago In 1850 a new plat of the same site was recorded under the name of Trenton.
It was incorporated by Act of February 10, 1855, but exactly two years after, on February 10, 1857.
the Act was repealed. It was again incorporated on April 22. 1875. The bounds of the village under
the last Act arc as follows: Commencing at the extreme north end of Slocum's Island on the Detroit
river, and running west to the line of the Detroit, Toledo & Canada Southern Railroads; thence
northerly along the east line of said railroads to the center of George Street as extended, and thence
east along the center of George Street to the Detroit river.
By Act of 1875 the first election was to be held at the school-house on the second Monday of March,
1876, and John Clee, Wm. J. Duddleson and John Simmons were appointed to act as inspectors of
election, which was duly held. 190 votes polled, and the following officers elected: President, Win. J.
Duddleson; Trustees for one year, Frank Burk, Moses Perry. E. Cady; Trustees for two years. Wm.
Yakelcy, James Baker. R. T. Burrin ; Clerk, Arthur W. Turner: Treasurer. Win. Sanders, Jr.; Assessor,
Gilbert A. Judkins; Street Commissioner, Wm. Rankin; Constable. Abiathar Jones.
The first meeting of the village board was held March 23, 1876. In June it was ordered to have a
survey and map of the village made by Col. H. A. Wood. Wm. J. Duddleson, Wm. Yakeley and E.
Cady were appointed a committee on public buildings and grounds.
The officers since 1876 have been as follows: 1877. President, Wm. J. Duddleson; Trustees.
Clarence H. Willard. E.Cady. Daniel Haight; Clerk. George W. Houscn; Treasurer, Wm. Sanders, Jr.;
Street Commissioner. Michael Martin; Assessor. Gilbert A. Judkins; Constable, Alex. Lebeau,Sr.
1878. President, Win. J. Duddleson; Trustees, Theophilus Godbout, Lorcn Campbell, Wm. Yakeley; Clerk, Kiehard A. Foy; Treasurer, Win. Sanders. Jr.; Assessor, Addison David; Street Commissioner. Michael Martin; Constable, George Small.
1879. President. Wm. J, Duddleson; Trustees, George Morrow, E. Cady. Joseph Vco ; Clerk, Peter
Hausman; Treasurer, Wm. Sanders, Jr.; Assessor, David Iteiilley; Constable, GilbertJ. Potter; Street Commissioner, Emory Potter.
1880. President, Wm. Park ; Trustees, Wm. J. Duddleson, Mark W. Jaquith, James Chase, Cady
Neff; Clerk, Richard A. Foy; Treasurer, George W. Cook; Assessor. Arthur W. Turner; Street Commissioner, Emory Potter; Constable, D. D. Bentley.
1881. President, John Ctee; Clerk, R. A. Foy; Trustees, J. C. Willis. J. S. Smith, Cady Neff; Treasurer, George W. Crook; Assessor, Daniel D. Bentley; Street Commissioner, Michael F. Martin; Constable, Edward Perring.
1882. President, Wm. J. Duddleson; Clerk, Richard A. Foy; Treasurer, George W. Crook; Trustees. Wm. Sanders, Jr., E. Cady. Charles H. Sanders ; Street Commissioner. Michael F. Martin ; Constable. B. Moore.
1883. President, James Chase; Clerk, Richard A. Foy; Trustees, Nathan Net!, Wm Yakeley, John
C. Nellis. Mark W. Jaquith ; Treasurer. George W. Crook ; Street Commissioner, Daniel D. Bentley; Assessor. Alexander Nicholson ; Constable. William Moore.
1884. President, Wm. Sanders Jr.; Clerk. Richard A. Foy; Treasurer, Alfred Bailey; Trustees, Maynard S. Lowe, John Anglim. John
Schcnck; Assessor, John Simmons. Jr.; Street Commissioner, Wm. J. Duddleson; Constable,Levi Vogt.
1885. President. Wm. Sanders. Jr.; Clerk, Richard A. Foy ; Treasurer. Alfred Bailey; Trustees, Jacob Reiger, Wm. Kamlcin Nicholas Maus;
Assessor, Wm. Yakeley; Street Commissioner, Wm. J. Duddleson; Constable. Levi Vogt.
1886. President, Wm. Sanders. Jr.; Clerk. Maynard S. Lane; Treasurer George W. Crook;
Trustees, Loran Campbell, Wm. T. Yakeley, A. E. Jenke ; Assessor, Charles B. Stokes ; Street Commissioner. John Anglim ; Constable, Levi Vogt.
1887. President. Wm. Sanders, Jr.; Clerk. Maynard S. Lane; Treasurer, George W.Crook; Trustees. Jacob Reiger, Frank Burke, Ira Vtckcry; Assessor, David D. Bentley; Street Commissioner, David L. Fuller ; Constable. Levi Vogt.
1888. President, Wm. Sanders, Jr.; Clerk, John C. Armstrong; Treasurer. Hiram Holden; Trustees, Joseph Lura, Maurice Lake, Wm. Kamlein, John A. McKimmie; Assessors. Nathan Neff:
Street Commissioner, John Anglim; Constable, Levi Vogt.
1889. President, William Sanders. Jr.; Clerk., Seward R. Thornton; Treasurer, George W. Crook;
Trustees. Jacob Reiger. Loran Campbell, Ira Vickery; Assessor. Nathan Neff; Street Commissioner. John Anglim ; Constable. John McCourt.
1890. President, Wm. Sanders. Jr.; Clerk, W. F.
Sanders: Treasurer G.W.Crook; Trustees. N. A.
Maus, J. Baker, Amos Abbott; Assessor, A. R.
Kemp; Street Commissioner, John Anglim; Constable, John McCourt
The assessed valuation of property as reported
to the Common Council on June 6, 1S88, was real.
$151,915; personal, $29,150; total. $181,065. A
tax of one-fourth of one per cent, was levied for
the year, and during the month of June the village
purchased Lot 36, Block Q, on the corner of Washington Avenue and Maple Street for the sum of
$500 with a view of erecting a building for the use
of the village.
There are two public school buildings valued at
$2,000. with a seating capacity for 350 scholars.
Three teachers are employed, and the average daily
attendance of scholars in 1888 was 168. The number of children of school age was 445. "The
School Visitor." published in the interest of the
schools, has been published since October. 1886. It
is issued monthly at thirty-five cents a year, and is
a readable little sheet.
The Trenton Lodge of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. No. 33. was organized December
24, 1847, and Trenton Lodge. No. 8. of the Free
and Accepted Masons, in 1855. The population in
1880 was 1,103.
This village has been one of the most important
ship-building points on the Detroit River, and many
vessels that have gone into marine history as models
of their kind were constructed here. Among the
leading ship-yards between 1866 and 1874 was the
establishment of Captain A. A. Turner. He built
some thirty-five or forty vessels, ranging in value
from $25,000 to $60,000 each. Eighteen of these
were steam vessels, among which was the ill-fated
"Amazon." at that time one of the largest and
staunchest crafts on the lakes. The " Chief Justice
Waite," the " Morning Star," the " A. A. Turner "
were also built in his yards. At one time he employed 350 men. and had as many as five vessels on
the stocks at onetime. These were the palmy days
of Trenton, over a million and a half dollars worth
of vessels being built within eight years. The panic
of 1873 brought disaster to the business. The
ship-yard of John Craig was removed from Gibraltar to Trenton in 1863. where it has since been
The Trenton Mills were built in 1848 by Abbott
& David on Section 18. near the present north limits of the village, and after passing through the
hands of Judkin & David, and Slocuni & Truax,
was purchased by John Clee in 1866, and in 1879
moved to their present location in the west end of
the village near the depots. The mill formerly had
four run of stone, but it was converted into an
all-roller process mill in 1885, with a capacity of
125 or more barrels It is both a merchant and
St, Thomas's Protestant Episcopal Church
Was organized December 10, 1842. Major
Truax donated the lot and a church building, to
which has since been added a lot for a parsonage,
donated on April 18, 1876, by Charles K, Truax,
the total valuation of which is $2,000. The church
was erected in the summer of 1843. and the pews
were hrst rented on September to 1043. As near
as can be ascertained. Rev. Charles Fox served as
missionary rector from September, 1843, and was
regularly called June, 1845, continuing in charge
until 1853. when he was succeeded by Rev R.
Bury. From 1857 to June 23,1867, Rev. Milton
H. Ward was in charge and from June 30, 1867,
to March 2, 1868, Rev. Josiah Phelps. Rev. S.
Williams served from June 28, 1868, to June 27,
1869; Rev. Levi Corson from October 10, 1869 to
July 10, 1870: Rev. H. Banwell, from October 25,
1870, to December 27, 1874; Rev. G. W. Bloodgood from May 2, 1875, to 1887, and Rev. Wm.
Charles from 1887 to . The present membership of the church is about thirty-five. The
clergyman in charge also conducts services at the
churches on Grosse Isle and at Wyandotte.
Methodist Episcopal Church.
A Methodist class meeting was formed at this
locality as early as 1829. and the place was visited
by the ministers appointed in charge of what was
called the Huron Mission. The ministers who
came here during that period were: 1829, 1830,
Rev. Leonard B. Gurley; 1833. Rev. W. H. Brockway; 1834-1835. Rev. A. Buckles, Rev. Elias Pattee; 1836 to 1837, Rev. W. II. Brockway. Rev.
Charles Babcock; 1838. Rev. W. H. Brockway.
A church was organized in 1843.
The church lot was donated by Major Truax, and the building,
which will seat 200. was first used in 1845 or 1846.
When first organized there were eleven members;
there are now sixty-four. The church building is
valued at $2.999 and the parsonage at $1,000 The
following have served as pastors: 1843. Rev. K.
Pungelley; 1844, Rev. George King; 1848, Rev.
R. Bird ; 1849, Rev. J. S. Smart: 1850, Rev. Alexander Campbell; 1851, Rev. S. C. Woodward;
1852-1853. Rev. Lorenzo D. Price; 1854-1855.
Rev. J. F. Davidson; 1856. Rev. D. C. Jacobcs;
1857. Rev. A. J. Bigelow; 1858. Rev. D. C. Jacobes;
1859-1860, Rev. Wm Benson; 1861-1862 Rev. S.
L. Ramsdell; 1863. Rev. A. Edwards. Jr.; 1864.
Rev. B. S. Taylor; 1865. Rev. Jacob Horton : 1866-
1867, Rev. J. F. Dorey; 1868-1869. Rev. C. W.
Austin; 1870-1871, Rev. J. Frazer: 1872, Rev. J.
H. McClure; 1873-1874, Rev. J. W. Crippen;
1875-1876, Rev. James H. Kilpatrick ; 1877-1878.
Rev. H. N. Brown; 1S79. Rev. A. W. Wilson;
1880-1881. Rev. J. R. Noble; 1882. Rev. R. S.
Jordon; 1883, Rev. W. R. Jordon; 1884-1886,
Rev. J. M. Shank ; 1887-1888 Rev. John Wesley.
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Was organized about 1865, with some forty
families. Some ten years later the congregation
built a church at a cost of $2,500. The present
membership is 150 families. They have never had
any regular pastor, mission service being held from
lime to time by pastors from Detroit. Ecorce and
St. John's P. E. Church, Crosse Isle.
This society was organized on April 21, 1851.
The lot was donated, and the church, costing
about $1,300, was erected soon after the society
was organized, it will seat 100. Rev. Charles
Fox was its first rector, and was succeeded by the
Rev. M. H, Ward. Rev. Moses Hunter. Rev. Rich
Bury, and others, at intervals until 1873, when the
Rev. Henry Banwell became rector. On October
24, 1875, the Rev. George W. .Bloodgood was appointed rector, and remained as such for over
twelve years, holding his last service August 28,
1887. The present rector, the Rev. William
Charles, held his first service in the parish October
St. James's P. E. Church. Grosse Isle.
This society was organized in 1867. The chapel
was erected by Wm. S. Middle on grounds belonging to his brother. It cost about $15,000, will seat
250, and was held as private property for a number
of years It was finally donated to the diocese by
Mr. Biddle. There are thirty-five communicants. It
is cared for bv the rector of Trenton
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Grosse Isle.
This society occupies a building worth $500.
which was originally a dwelling, and will seat l00.
It was first used about 1870 Services were conducted by priests from Wyandotte. Ypsilanti and
Ecorce. There are perhaps thirty Catholic families
in the parish.
This station, located on the Canada Southern
Branch of the M. C. R. R.. is named after F. B.
Sibley, who owns and operates an extensive limestone quarry at this point, and has dune so for
This name is given to the place where a branch
of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad crosses the Canada Southern Branch of the
Michigan Central Railroad, and goes to Fayette.
It is named after Elliott T. Slocum who inherited
from his father. Giles B. Slocum. a large amount
of property lying in tile vicinity of this place.