Wayne County Michigan
- F -
ALFRED ALEXANDER FALATINE
- age 74, of Belleville, MI, passed away March 8, 2008 at his home. He was born December 12, 1933 in New Boston, MI, son of the late Alexander & Sophie Jennie (Snyr) Falatine.
Al became a professional musician at the age of 12. He graduated from Romulus High School in 1952 and went on to further his education, receiving a Bachelor's of Science in Musical Education from Wayne State University in 1956.
Al then proudly served his country in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict in France, where he had the opportunity to meet Billie Holiday, and various other famous people.
He retired from the Van Buren School District in 1996, after more than 30 years of teaching music. He was known to many as "Al the Kiddie Pal." Besides his love for music he also taught the neighborhood children in his spare time. They would anxiously await their new vocabulary word of the day.
Al was a huge sports enthusiast. His family never heard him yell until there was a bad play! He lived to golf and was on various leagues. Al loved his family and along with his wife, they really taught their children how to think, not just memorize, so they would be able to make decisions on their own. He was a true philosopher and loved to read. He was also a fantastic artist, specializing in watercolors.
Mr. Falatine was survived by his wife of 44 1/2 years, Vivian (English) Falatine, a son Michael (Lisa) Falatine of Belleville, MI, two daughters Georgia "Crickett" (Michael) Yost of Belleville, MI and April (Larry) Dalrymple of Ypsilanti, MI, five grandchildren Alexander & Cherokee Falatine, Alexyia Yost, and Cheyenne & Gage Dalrymple, a sister Evelyn "Midge" Alatalo of Romulus, also many other family and friends.
David C. Brown Funeral Home - Funeral Mass: St. Stephens Catholic Church, New Boston, MI
DAVID O. FARRAND
- Detroit, March 18 – Dr. David O. Farrand, one of the most popular and eminent physicians of this city, died this morning of disease of the brain, after a brief illness. The announcement caused a great shock throughout the entire community.
(Daily Globe – St. Paul, Minnesota – March 19, 1883 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon)
- In common with a multitude of admiring friends the New Mexican egrets to learn of the death of Miss Edith Ferry the bright and beautiful daughter of Mr. D.M. Ferry, of Detroit, Mich. She died at home on the 19th inst. A noble young woman she was.
Source: Find-A-Grave Volunteer at Find-A-Grave News article
a leader of Detroit's automobile industry in its formative years, and uncle of the seven famous Fisher brothers, died Sunday in Henry Ford Hospital.
Mr. Fisher was the builder of the first bodies for many automobiles and trucks. He built the first touring car body for Henry Ford. He was one of those whose efforts started the industry that in a few years transformed Detroit into one of the nationâ€™ great metropolitan centers.
Like his noted nephews, Mr. Fisher was the son of a village blacksmith. His father, Andrew Fisher, settled on five acres of land at Maxville, O., and there erected his home and shop. And there Albert, youngest of four sons, was born Jan. 2, 1864.
With his brothers, including Lawrence, father of the Fisher brothers, he worked after school in the blacksmith shop. At 16 he left home to take a job as a hotel clerk at nearby Norwalk. After a year he embarked on the career that led him into the automobile body industry.
He served an apprenticeship for four years in carriage building, and came to Detroit in 1885 to work a year for the old C.R & J.C. Wilson Carriage Co. Further studies and experience he gained at Chicago and Boston, and returned in 1888 to the Wilson company to become its superintendent. While there he helped the company get established in the building of coaches, hearses, and fancy sleighs.
By 1891 he was ready to go into business for himself, and bought a partnership in a carriage factory on Larned street west. Later he bought out his partner and carried on alone.
A master craftsman, he had as customers such prominent Detroiters as Gen. Russell A Alger, Senator Thomas W. Palmer, Allen Shelden, the Walkers and the Buhls.
He built the first fleet of wagons for The Detroit News in 1894. By the time the horseless carriage came along he had outgrown his old quarters and had built a new three-story factory at Fort and Sixth streets.
Automobile bodies were tailor-made then, and few persons were prepared for mass production, or even dreamed of the vast heights the industry would reach in the space of two decades. The few who did have such dreams became the automobile magnates of today.
Among these were Mr. Fisher's nephews, who originated the mass production of closed automobile bodies, and Henry Ford. Ford was a customer of Albert Fisher, and often visted his shop to watch progress on the body of what was then known as Fordâ€™s â€œcontraption.â€
It was on one of these visits that Ford asked Mr. Fisher to build 50 bodies, a tremendous order in those days. Ford wanted to pay for the bodies with stock in his company. He said the Dodge brothers were making motors for the car on that basis.
To the conservative Fisher the proposition seemed too wild and speculative. He told Ford hew would have to get cash, and the order, first of a multitude, went elsewhere. And Mr. Fisher lost the opportunity to become one of original Ford stockholders.
But Fisher's business grew, and he soon was making bodies for a number of the new automobiles, including the Olds, whose plant was then on Jefferson avenue east. Mr. Fisher built the first coupe automobile body for Mrs. Algerâ€™s electric.
Meanwhile two of his nephews, the late Fred J.Fisher and Charles T. Fisher, had arrived in Detroit and were also building automobile bodies.
With them, and William F. Webb and Frank W. Davey, Mr. Fisher organized the first Fisher Body Co. in 1908. Mr. Fisher had controlling interest in the capital of $50,000, and was chosen president of the firm at a salary of $1,200 per year. Later another of his famous nephews, William A. Fisher, and a brother, Joseph Fisher, joined the firm.
This association lasted little more than a year. Business came tumbling in, and the nephews, all in their twenties, proposed vast expansions to which the conservative, elder Fisher could not agree. When they persisted in what he considered a gambling adventure which would imperil a promising business, he sold his interest. Thus another opportunity for millions was turned away. For 18 years later the Fisher Body Co was worth $208,000,000.
In 1910, Albert Fisher was an incorporator of the Universal Motor Truck Co. He became sole owner in 1915.
In 1916 he built a new factory on Bellevue avenue at St. Paul avenue, and there, until a few years ago, he continued to manufacture trucks.
Mr. Fisher was married in 1889 to Mary Gangwish, of Norwalk. They had nine children, of whom Mrs. Alberta Hanley, Helen, Frederick J., Urban, Raymond, and Edwin survive. Mrs. Fisher died in 1923, and in 1928 Mr. Fisher married Mrs. Christine A. [Bauer] Chester, a Detroit business woman. Their home is at 460 East Grand Boulevard.
Mr. Fisher was a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Elks, the Detroit Yacht Club, the Harmonie Society, the Old Colony Club, and the Clinton Valley and Lochmoor Golf Clubs, and had been a director of the Detroit Board of Commerce.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a. m. Wednesday in SS. Peter and Pauls Jesuit Church. Burial will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
Ancestry Message Boards The Detroit News, March 16, 1942, p 4
MAJOR TOMAS FITZGIBBONS
- Article in The Springfield (Massachusetts) Daily Republican of June 8th, 1865 reads: "Died. At Detroit, Mich. 6th ult., Col T.C. FitzGibbons, 29, of the 14th Michigan infantry, from the effects of a wound receive at Columbia, Tenn. February 27.
Funeral from St. Michael's church in this city, this (Thursday) afternoon at 1 1/2 o'clock."
Also in the same newspaper, same page: "The Fenians will meet at their hall in Foot's block at noon to-day, to make arrangements for attending the funeral of Col FitzGibbons at the Catholic Church, at half past 1.'
Same newspaper, Friday, May 29th, 1868: "... will tomorrow visit the Catholic cemetery, where the following named soldiers are buried: Maj Thomas Fitzgibbons, 14th Michigan regiment;..."
Same newspaper, Friday, May 27th, 1870: "The soldiers known to be buried in the Catholic cemetery, on the Chicopee Falls road, are these:- ...Major Thomas Fitzgibbons, 14th Michigan:..."
Source: Rootsweb Message Board Steve Schreiter
LAURA EVANS FORD
, passed away peacefully Tuesday, April 12, 2011, at the Banner-Del Webb Medical Center outside of Phoenix, Ariz.
A life-long resident of Grosse Pointe, she also maintained a winter home in Wickenburg, Ariz., where she actively pursued her dream of living the Western lifestyle in the beautiful Sonoran Desert. For a number of years, she owned and actively participated in the operation of the Arrow Y Cattle Company.
An outstanding horsewoman, Laura was an active member of the regional ladies riding group, Las Damas, serving on its board of directors and also as trails chairwoman. She helped organize the annual Five Day Desert Ride in which she participated for 25 years.
An avid collector of Western art, Laura served on the board of governors of the Desert Caballeros Western Museum in Wickenburg, where she was also a longtime member of the Los Caballeros Golf Club and the Wickenburg Elks Club.
Laura was born Oct. 10, 1945, in Detroit to Emory Moran Ford and Laura Salisbury Evans. She was survived by her niece, Nina Ford (John) Richter of New York City. She was predeceased by her two brothers, Thomas Evans Ford and Emory Moran Ford Jr. and her daughter, Laura (Lollie) Salisbury Winans.
Laura attended University Liggett School, eventually serving on its board of directors, and graduated from Miss Porter's School in Farmington, Conn. Upon learning of her passing, Laura was fondly recalled by one of her Farmington classmates as a "human firecracker."
Her zest for life was exemplified by her endless hours at the helm of her yacht, Galatea, exploring the nooks and crannies of the North Channel and the Canadian shorelines and around the top of Michigan to Harbor Springs. In autumn she could be found in most any of the various duck marshes adjacent to Mitchell's Bay, Ontario. Laura was a 25-year member of the Great Lakes Cruising Club and a gold sponsor of Ducks Unlimited.
Aside from being an active outdoorswoman, Laura enjoyed entertaining house guests at Wingford, a country estate built by her grandfather in the 1920s in Avoca, in Michigan's thumb area. Owning one of the black Labrador retrievers from the Wingford Kennels was a great source of pride for serious sportsman in the area.
A lifetime member of the Grosse Pointe Club, Laura served on the board of governors and became the first female commodore of the club in 1982. She also was a member of Bayview Yacht Club, Little Traverse Yacht Club in Harbor Springs and Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier, Pa.
Laura was an active supporter of the Detroit Zoological Society, serving on its board of directors for many years. She was an advocate and supporter of the Michigan Humane Society and the Founders Society of the Detroit Institute of Arts. She was a member of the Junior League of Detroit, Sigma Gamma Association and served on the board of Michigan Planned Parenthood. She was a member of Christ Church Grosse Pointe.
Laura, as she preferred to be called by those in all walks of life, will be missed by those privileged to know her.
Per her wishes, there were no funeral services and she was buried in the family plot in Elmwood Cemetery in Detroit.
Source: "Twist" at Find-A-Grave
LOUIS J. FORGE
ALICE MARIAM (GOWMAN) FRANCIS
, 90, of Mount Airy, passed away Thursday, December 17, 2009, at Ridgecrest Retirement Center.
Mrs. Francis was born December 27, 1918, in Detroit, MI, to Carl and Bessie Gowman.
She was a loving mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. Mrs. Francis was a member of First Baptist Church.
Surviving are three daughters and two sons-in-law, Betty and David Jones of Mount Airy, Carolann and Brian Bishop of Rochester Hills, MI, and Joyce Dashney of Mount Airy; four grandchildren, Larry Dashney, James "Jim" Jones, Danny Jones, and Cynthia Grimes; five great-granddaughters, Molly Dashney, Olivia Jones, Isabella Jones, Paige Grimes, and Addison Grimes; and a brother and sister-in-law, Ken and Betty Gowman of Shelby Township, MI.
In addition to her parents, Mrs. Francis was preceded in death by her husband, Albert William Francis; a sister, Bertha Foster; and a brother, Don Gowman.
The funeral service will be held Sunday, December 20, 2009, at 2:00 PM at First Baptist Church, with Dr. Roger B. Gilbert officiating. Burial will follow at Skyline Memory Gardens. The family will receive friends Sunday in the Fireside Room of First Baptist Church from 1:00 PM until the hour of the service. www.moodyfuneralservices.com
Detroit, Mich. April 7 -- Left leg cut off at the hip by a switch engine in the Solvay Process Company's yards, Louis J. Forge, 28, of Port Huron, was rushed to Solval hospital and just retained consciousness long enough before he bled to death, to give the name of his father in Port Huron. Forge, who was employed by the C.J. Jupuis Company, building a dock at Zug Island, was sent down the tract Saturday morning after some tools and did not notice the approaching engine. His screams told the engine crew that he had been run over, and he was rushed to the hospital terribly crushed about the hips. Forge's father, notified of his son's death by Coroner Rothacher, came to the county morgue Sunday and took his son's body back to Port Huron. Forge boarded at 186 Green Avenue. Coroner Rothacher will hold an inquest in order to question the switch engine crew.
April 7, 1913 -Jackson Citizen Patriot (Jackson, Michigan)
WALTER BUHL FORD III
, of Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan, entered eternal life on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 peacefully in his sleep in Palm Beach, Florida. He was 66 years old.
Walter was born October 27, 1943, in Detroit, Michigan, to Josephine Clay "Dody" and Walter Buhl Ford II. Known as Buhl to his family and friends, Walter, a great-grandson of Ford Motor Co. founder Henry Ford, worked at Ford from 1978 to 1993. After graduating from Cleary College in Ypsilanti, Michigan, with a degree in business administration, he started his career in the Ford Design Center and moved on to several positions in advertising and marketing for Ford and Lincoln Mercury.
To his family and friends, Walter will be remembered as a person who loved life and lived it to the fullest. He was known for his sense of humor and infectious laugh. His passions included hunting, fishing, and especially his dogs. He also enjoyed playing hockey as a child and was a life-long Detroit Red Wings fan.
Waler is survived by his wife, Roxanne; daughters, Bridget (Lucille May); Lindsey (Tom Buhl), and children, Jeffrey, William, Elise, and Christian; Wendy (Bader Behbehani) and children, Alex and Gracie; B.B. (David Veverka) and children, Joe, Sam, and Ben.
Walter is also survived by his siblings, Eleanor Sullivan, Josephine Ingle, and Alfred Ford. Funeral Service: Monday February 22,2010 at Christ Church in Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan.
Donations may be made to the Michigan Humane Society, 30300 Telegraph Road, Suite 220, Bingham Farms, MI, 48025.
Source: Elizabeth & Ron at Find-A-Grave
Source: Wayne County Message Board - Mt Airy News 19 Dec 2009
- Beloved husband of the late Aida. Loving father of Liliana (Brian) Wright and Miguelina (Luis) Gonzalez. Proud grandfather of Michelle Pacheco, Vanessa Gonzalez, Jacqueline Gonzalez and Caridad Salina Wright. He also leaves behind two sisters and one brother.
Source: Leslie Holland at Find-A-Grave