OLD HOTELS

Wayne County Michigan


The Finney House was on the southeast corner of Woodward and Gratiot, and Alanson Sheley, who for many years lived in the next block north, had, with other old residents, recently moved up town. Sheley's old home was moved to Stimson Place, a short distance east of Cass Avenue, and is there now. The Finney Hotel Barn was where the Chamber of Commerce Building, now Detroit Savings Bank, is located. The third building of the First Presbyterian Church or, strictly speaking, the First Protestant Society, was at the northwest corner of Farmer and Gratiot. When Joseph L. Hudson bought that property, years afterward, some people predicted his failure because he was exchanging a place on the avenue for a remote and obscure corner.
The City of Detroit Michigan 1701 - 1922 The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co VOLUME 1



Flat Rock, MI (Flat Rock Hotel) (1915) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Detroit MI - Griswold Hotel 1910 - Contributed by Paul Petosky


   

Detroit, MI (Madison & Lenox Hotels, Madison Avenue (1930)
Ernest H. Piper, General Manager - Contributed by Paul Petosky

" I Cry for Detroit - Because it didn't have to happen" cw
Photo by "Forgotten Detroit"

Originally designed as the Madison Hotel by F.C.Pollmar in 1900 and the Lenox Hotel by A.C. Varney in 1903. A two-story building between the two hotels later connected the pair, creating the Madison-Lenox Hotel. The buildings were last occupied during the 1990s. The hotels stood at the south-west corner of Madison street and East Grand River Avenue.
In 1985, theater actor Council Cargle and his wife, Maggie Porter, founded the 40-seat Harmonie Park Playhouse in the basement of the Madison-Lenox Hotel. The basement theater, which had previously been utilized as a barbershop and artist studio, was used for off-Broadway productions until the theater's closure in 1990.

The May 2005 demolition was the subject of significant controversy. Though demolition permits had been denied the city government pressed for the building's destruction nevertheless, stating that the structure was in danger of collapse. Preservation groups fought the demolition with a restraining order a few hours after work commenced, but later that day a judge allowed the demolition to continue. Even though the HDC had originally denied demolition permits they did not oppose the move. The whole structure was gone within a week.
The building was the second on the "11 Most Endangered Historic Places" to be demolished.
The property is still held by Ilitch Holdings and is currently used as a parking lot. The gated parking area is serviced by Olympia Entertainment and chiefly serves Comerical Park.



Detroit, MI (The Stevenson Hotel) (1924) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Detroit, MI (Wayne Hotel) (1909) (Wayne County) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Detroit, MI (Hotel Webster Hall) (1925) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Webster Hall, was built at the same time as the Book Cadillac Hotel, but it was overshadowed by the larger, more opulent Book Cadillac Hotel. Webster Hall was located at Cass Avenue, Putnam Street, and Woodward Avenue in the city's art center. It had 800 rooms, two coffee shops, a ballroom, meeting rooms, and a large swimming pool in the basement. It was a residential hotel for men and women located close to the Detroit Public Library, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and Wayne State University. It operated in bankruptcy in the 1930s and its 220 employees staged a sit-down strike in March 1937, leaving the 650 hotel guests to cope as best they could. Only the drug store and cigar shop continued to operate during the strike. In the mid-l940s Wayne State University took over the hotel, renamed it Mackenzie Hall, and used it as a dormitory, recreation, and office building. It was imploded in the mid-1990s and is now the site of a parking garage. (Excerpt - Detroit's Historic Hotels - Patricia Ibbotson