The history of the city of Cadillac covers a period of twelve years, opening
in the midst of a dense pine forest upon the terraced shore of Clam Lake,
and closing int he midst of a busy, rapidly growing city of 4,000
inhabitants, enjoying unususal prosperity, and with its future as hopeful as
its past has been successful. In March, 1871, Messrs, Holbrook & May started
a store in a little building on the shore of Clam Lake. During that summer
the late George A. Mitchell, noting the advantages of this location for a
business point, purchased land of Maqueston & Clark and others and commenced
lumbering. In October, he platted the village of Clam Lake, and in January,
1872, a post office was established with John S. McLain as postmaster.
Mr. Mitchell was not only the founder of the village but a guardian of
its interests while he lived. Few men in Mr. Mitchell's position so conduct
their affairs as to endear themselves to the community growing up about
them, as he did. He was capable of being a successful business man and at
the same time a kind and generous friend. His death occurred Aug. 8,, 1878.
In giving a history of his live we cannot do better than to insert here the
article published in the Cadillac News at the time, as follows:
LIFE AND DEATH OF GEORGE A. MITCHELL
When on Monday morning, Aug. 5th, the news went through this city that Hon.
G. A. Mitchell, then in feeble health, having been suffering for some time
from a bilious attack, had been thrown from his buggy and severely injured,
by his head striking against a stump, the shock was felt all through the
The accident occurred while Mr. Mitchell was returning
from his shingle-mill, on Pine Street, west of the railroad. He was taken to
a house near by, and Drs. Wardell and Leeson were immediately called. They
found him in a comatose state, with evidence that blood had been forced from
his right ear, by the severe concussion. On examination the doctors agreed
that the injury was severe, and feared it might prove fatal.
doctors desired further medical aid, and Dr. DeCamp, Grand Rapids, was sent
for by telegraph. Mr. Mitchell was then removed to his residence. Fro a
little time he partially returned to consciousness so as to be able to
answer yes and no to questions asked him by the doctors and his friends. But
after a short time he returned to his former comatose state, in which he
continued until he died.
Dr. DeCamp arrived on the four o'clock
train, after which a further examination was had, and an operation, which
showed what had been suspected from the first, that his skull was badly
fractured on the back side of the head, extending down to the base of the
brain. At a later hour in the evening Dr. Bigelow, of Big Rapids, who had
been sent for, arrived. After lingering till late on Thursday afternoon,
surrounded by relatives and neighbors in tears, he quietly passed away into
that still country, where the struggle and storm of life is forever hushed
As soon as it was known that he was no more, all hearts
were filled with mourning, and to show their appreciation of the great loss
the people had sustained in his death every business house in the whole city
was draped in mourning. HIs funeral took place from his late residence
amidst an immense concourse of people. The religious services were conducted
by his pastor, Rev. A. Marsh, assisted by Rev. C. A. Munn, of Big Rapids.
The following sketch of his life is taken from the sermon preached on
the occasion, and is not an extravagant and overdrawn picture, but simple
matter of fact and justice to the life of the deceased.
Mitchell was born in Root, Montgomery County, N.Y., Jan 8, 1824. He was
descended from heroes of the Revolution. His grandfather was present at the
battle of Saratoga, as an officer of militia, and was a patriot so prominent
and influential that British commissaries were sent for his apprehension
with orders to take him "dead or alive." His mother was descended from
Robert Barclay, one of the old colonial governors of New Jersey.
early life was spent on a farm, and as clerk in a store. He was married at
Spraker's Basin, in his native county, April 22, 1847, to Miss Marietta L.
Wilkins, who survives him. Soon after reaching manhood he engaged in a
tannery in Sullivan County.
At the commencement of the war he was
appointed paymaster in the army. It was here that his business talent first
seemed to find full scope for its exercise. So thorough and methodical were
his business habits, so accurate were his accounts, such power of
organization did he possess and such control of nerve, that he was
rapidly promoted, until he became first assistant paymaster at St. Louis,
Mo., with the brevet rank of lieutenant colonel. During the remainder of the
waqr he had entire charge of the pay department, at Little Rock, Ark., and a
port of the time at Memphis also, with additional duties at Vicksburg. He
frequently had charge of from five to a dozen subordinate paymasters, and
had millions of money in his care. His accounts were promptly and accurately
rendered to the U. S. Government, and settled satisfactorily.
closed; but his connection with the army continued until the spring of 1867.
Then he removed from St. Louis to Kendallville, Ind. and soon after became
identified with the building of the G. R. & I. R. R. His connection with
this road led eventually to his location to this place. He was one of the
first to discover the advantages of this point, as a business center. He
came here during the summer of 1871, purchased land, and commenced those
lumber operations which have since grown to such large proportions. In
October of the same year he platted the village of Clam Lake. From that time
he has been identified with the growth and prosperity of this town. And when
the city of Cadillac was incorporated his public services pointed him out as
the one upon whom the office of Mayor would be most fittingly bestowed. He
has taken a deep interest in the cause of education. To his influence and
services, upon our school board, we are largely indebted for the high
position which our public schools have taken. He was a pleasant, genteel
man. His sympathetic disposition and fine sound qualities are fondly
remembered by those who recall the days of his boyhood. He was warm-hearted
and affectionate, making friends of all who came within the circle of his
As a business man he was cautious, yet enterprising;
forming his plans with great wisdom; carrying them out with energy and
persistence. The prosperity of our town and our remarkable exemption from
business failures, during these late years of depression and panic, are
doubtless due to his prudent management of his own affairs and his strong
influence over other business men. He was a good judge of human nature, not
easily imposed upon. Yet so generous was he, that he would often employ and
help those whom he could not entirely trust.
He was a friend of the
poor. There are many of the poorer people of this town, who feel today that
they have lost one of their best friends. They have often gone to him for
helt, and have not been turned away with mere empty words.
interest in the Christian religion has been manifested by deeds, rather than
words or professions. His early associations were with the Dutch Reformed
Church. Upon coming west he connected himself with a Presbyterian
congregation. This became the church of his choice. Soon after coming to
this place, he began to interest himself in the organization and building of
a Presbyterian Church. And though he never was a member of the church, yet
he gave largely of his means, and of his time and influence, toward its
support. Nor were his benefactions confined to one church. He believed in
the Christian religion. His place in the house of God was seldom vacant. One
of my most pleasant recollections of him will be of the deep interest that
he took in the services of God's sanctuary. On the last Sabbath of his
earthly life, though in feeble health, he was present with us, both morning
and evening, one of the most eager and attentive hearers in the
congregation. And during the meetings that were held by us last winter, he
expressed, by rising, his desire to identify himself with the people of God.
He is gone. We tender our sympathies to the bereaved wife, children,
brothers, sisters, and relatives of the deceased. May God comfort them!
But who is there here today, who does not feel that a friend and helper has
departed. We much take up the burdens of life again without his strong arm
to lean upon. Where now shall we turn for comfort and help, if not to the
Living God? "Clouds and darkness are round about him, righteousness and
judgment are the habitation of his throne." And if he, who has gone, could
come back and speak to us again with the new knowledge of eternal things
which he has already received, would he not say: Mortals, ye who were my
earthly companions, remember that you are the children of God; heirs of
immortality; Live virtuously. Live as thouse who know the value of their
heavenly inheritance. Live the life of faith in the Son of God. And if ye
seek for eternal happiness, find it in Him who died to redeem a ruined
At a meeting of the business men of the city of Cadillac, held
on the 9th inst., to take appropriate action on the sad occasion of the
death of Hon. George A. Mitchell, Mayor Cummer was duly elected chairman and
Henry F. May, secretary. Messrs. D. McCoy, W. M Gow, William Kelley, H.
Groesbeck, Byron Ballou and D. K. McIntyre, were appointed a committee on
resolutions. The meeting then adjourned until 8 o'clock to allow the
committee time to draft resultuions.
At 8 o'clock the meeting was
called to order, and the committee reported the following resolutions:
Whereas, Almighty God in his inscrutable
wisdom has removed from our midst our esteemed and well-beloved friend and
associate, Hon. George A. Mitchell; and
It is our desire to express in some public manner a sense of our great loss
and our profound and heartfelt sympathy to the afflicted relatives and
friends, therefore be it
Resolved, That we
deplore the untimely death with has deprived the community of an upright
citizen, and a reliable energetic business man, who as founder of our
flourishing city gave life to its enterprises and industries, and assisted
in its rapid growth and development: whose labors have ever been unselfishly
directed to the public good, the advancement of material prosperity, and the
moral and social elevation of our people; whose kind heart has invariably
responded to the appeals of the needy and afflicted, and whose generous hand
has never withheld aid to every charitable mission and every movement for
the welfare of our city, which stands today as a monument to his untiring
zeal and vigilant protection.
the universal sorrow, which covers this community as a pall, has already
found spontaneous expression in the tokens of mourning that darken our once
busy but now silent streets, and which afford unmistakable evidence of the
public grief, rendering any action on our part superfluous. We are confident
that all unnecessary business will be postponed, and that quiet demeanor
unostentatiously observed by our citizens will be maintained during the
Resolved, That to the bereaved
family and relatives of the deceased, crushed and broken by the blow which
has also shocked and stunned the community, our earnest sympathy is
extended. We feel that we are mourners with them, and that their bereavement
is ours. We commend them to the healing care of Him who is a "husband to the
widow, and a father to the orphan." On motion of C. M. Ayer, Esq., the
resolutions were unanimously adopted.
On motion of J. H. Hixson,
Esq., the resolutions were ordered to be submitted to the Cadillac News, and
to the leading papers of Grand Rapids for publication, and a copy presented
to the family of the decreased.
After appropriate and feeling
remarks by Messrs. Groesbeck, Gow, McCoy and Bond, the meeting adjourned.
---------- Jacob Cummer, Chairman
Henry F. May, Secretary.
THE VILLAGE IN 1872
Returning now to the early business movements we find that the village was
mainly outlined in the year 1872. The firm of Labor, Heath & Cornwell
commenced business here in the fall of 1871, and in addition to their
mercantile operations they built the City Flouring Mills in 1872.
March, 1872, A. M. Lamb opened a grocery and crockery store, and other
interests in which we shall speak hereafter, gathered at this point.
It is a fortunate circumstance that frequent mention was made of the place
at an early day, showing the villageas it was at different periods, and we
make use of some of them, as they are the best history that can be collated.
We find the following mention of Clam Lake in March, 1872: "Clam Lake is
the present terminus of the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad. It is a place
of about five months' growth, but remarkably active and go-ahead-a-tive.
"Mr. George A. Mitchell, the proprietor of the village plat, commenced
there in October last. Now the vfllage contains about sixty families and a
population of some 800.
"The plat of the village covers about fifty
acres. It is divided into some twoo lots, 150 of which have already been
village contains two hotels, the Mason House and the Clam Lake House, four
or five general stores, one hardware store, blacksmith shops, shoe shops,
wagon shops' about to open, etc. etc. One stream saw mill, that of J.
R. Hale, with a capacity of about 20,000 feet per day, is already in
operation. Messrs. Harris & Bros., are building a mill that is expected to
cut 1,000,000 per month. Shackleton & Green are also soon to erect a mill
that will cut 760,000 in a month. Messrs. M.H. & J.P. Hawley are building a
planing and shingle mill, which they expect to have in running order on or
before the 1st of May. A Mr. Anderson is constructing a dock and has made
arrangements for putting a small steamer on the lake.
mercantile establishments we would make special note of the general store of
Messrs. Holbrook & May, and the hardware store of Mr. W. H. Hicks. The first
first named consists of two young men from Plymouth, Mich., who have come to
Clam Lake to stay, and build up their business as the country develops. Mr.
Hicks, formerly of Big Rapids, has a nice new store and doubtless
understands his business."
A school district has been formed and a
school is in successful operation. The Methodists have weekly religious
services and a Presbyterian Church is likely to be organized soon.
is said the railroad company has 800,000,000 feet of pine timber that may be
worked up at Clam Lake, and that other parties have nearly as much more.
This being the case, there will necessarily be a large amount of lumber
manufactured each year for a long time to come. This insures business to the
village, and business, too, of a paying character.
There is said to
be a large amount of excellent farming land in the vicinity that will be
tributary to the place, help to build it up and sustain it when the pine is
The location of the village is a pleasant one. Little Clam
Lake, on the borders of which the village stands, is a beautiful sheet of
water, of crystal purity and abounding in fish. The village site ascends
very gently from the water, spreading out into a plain covered with a heavy
growth of pine. There is a border of young pines along the shore of the lake
which we trust "the powers that be," and that may be hereafter, will
carefully preserve. Woodman, spare those trees!
There is talk of
opening the channel between the Little and Big Clam, so as to admit the
passage of steamers between them. Sooner or later this will doubtless be
THE CLAM LAKE NEWS
June 1, 1872, the first number of the Clam Lake News was issued by C. L.
Frazier, and a record of local events began to be preserved. Mr. Frazier was
also on e of the early school teachers, and was prominently identified with
the schools of the county. After S. S. Fallas located here he was for some
time one of the editors of the News. The office was afterwards sold by Mr.
Frazier to J. A. & O. Whittemore, and became successively the property of
Rice & Chaplin in 1877, Chapin & Terwelliger in 1881, C. T. Chapin in
1881, and J. W. Giddings in 1882. It was started as a six-column folio,
enlarged to an eight-column folio, then to a six column quarto and the name
changed to the Cadillac News in 1877, and to a seven column quarto in 1888.
It is a staunch Republican paper, and is one of the best local newspapers in
Northern Michigan. J. W. Giddings is the present editor and proprietor.
THE VILLAGE IN 1872 AND 1878
In the first issue of June 1, 1872, the editor gave a review of the village,
a little more than seven months since, the place where the village of Clam
Lake now stands was but a dense forest, and the voice of a human being was
seldom heard. The site being on the G. R. & I Railroad, upon the banks of
one of the most beautiful lakes in Michigan, and a proper distance from
large places on either side, the spot was selected as a desirable place for
a town. Mr. George A. Mitchell, the original prime mover and proprietor of
the village plat, commenced operations here some time in October last. Since
that time he has been an earnest and faithful worker in the interests of the
place. The liberal spirit which he has manifested in all his dealings has
wonf rfo him many warm friends. The village plat covers about eighty acres
of ground. It borders on the east, and commands a most beautiful view of
Little Clam Lake. The railroad divides the town into two nearly equal parts,
and the depot is situated in the most central portion.
now contains about 126 families, and a population of upward of 600 actual
The lakes, called Little and Big Clam, cover an area of
about eight square miles; the distance intervening the two is about sixty
rods. The channel between the lakes is from to to five feet deep, and from
one to two rods wide. The work of clearing it of logs and old rubbish is now
progressing, and when opened it will be navigable for steamers of
considerable size, and will be very convenient for floating logs that may
eventually come from the Big Lake, and through this channel to the mills.
These lakes abound largely with excellent varieties of fish, and the country
around with wild game, affording a grand field for hunting and fishing. The
land bordering on these lakes, and for several miles around, is covered with
a heavy growth of pine that will be tributary to them, and here, worked into
The capacity of the mills now in operation and the two large
ones that are soon to start, will be about 4,000,000 feet per month. At this
rate it is estimated that it will take fifteen years to consume the pine.
Taking this into consideration, the pleasant locality for a town, and the
excellent farming lands in the vicinity that will be tributary to the place
and support it when the pine is gone, you may judge for yourself what the
future of Clam Lake will be.
We make mention of the following most
important places of business:
The mills that are now in successful operation are those of J. R. Hale and
Slinger & Co. The first named, the Pioneer Mill, has been running some five
or six months. It is now being finished up on good shape; some new and much
needed machinery has been added, and she is now capable of cutting about
25,000 feet per day.
The later, Slinger & Co.'s new and improved
portable mill, is doing a good business with a capacity of about 25,000 feet
The above named mills are both under the management of Mr.
Lydia, who has been doing everything in his power to supply the great demand
The new mills of Shackleton & Green and Harris Bros., are
expected to be ready to start in the middle of this month, and when
completed will be a credit to the town and to the builders. The first named
is 80x96 feet, two stories high, and a boiler house 14x86 feet. There are
two boilers eighteen feet long and forty-four inches in diameter. The
cylinder is fourteen inches in diameter and twenty-four inch stroke. It will
contain one large circular, with top saw and a gang edger. It is expected to
be capable of cutting 40,000 feet per day. Messrs. Shackleton & Green are
energetic business men, and every part of their mill is built in a
substantial and business-like manner.
Harris Bros.'s mill, which is
also expected to be ready for operation by the middle of this month, will,
when completed, compare in every respect with any mill in northern Michigan.
The main building is 86x115 feet, two stories high, and attached to this is
a boiler house 28x50 feet, which is to contain three large boilers, twenty
feet long and four feet in diameter. The cylinder is twenty inches in
diameter, and forty-eight inch stroke. The capacity of the engine will be
150 horse power to 60 pounds of steam. This mill is to have one large
circular, a gang of forty saws and an edger with three saws. It will contain
all the latest and most improved labor-saving machinery, and neither time
nor money will be spared to make it a first-class mill; Capt. Silas Pelton,
of Grand Rapids, has had full charge of the mill from the beginning, and his
work proves him to be a man of much mechanical skill and ingenuity.
Among the most important of which we would make special note is that of
Messrs. Holbrook & May, who keep a well selected stock of
everything in the line of dry goods, groceries and provisions. They are
energetic business men and are having a lively trade, which they well
The next of importance is the general hardware store of W.
H. Hicks & Co. They keep in store a first-class stock and propose to sell at
Grand Rapids prices. Mr. Hicks is a young man of energy and ability, and is
deserving of public patronage.
Messrs. Cornwell & Labar have a large
store in Messrs. Mosser & White's building, well stocked with flour, feed,
groceries and provisions. They are having a good trade.
Ballou, on Mason Street, also dealer in flour, feed, groceries and
provisions, is doing a lively business. He is a young man of good business
tact, and is bound to succeed.
Mr. Bunyea, on Lake Street, keeps a
good line of groceries and provisions. He was among the first settlers in
the place , and is deserving of patronage.
Messrs. Sanders & Morrow
are large dealers in dry goods and groceries.
Messrs. Russell & White
have opened a meat market on Lake Street, and their stock is new and fresh
from Grand Rapids every day.
Dr. Leeson has his drug business in
Mr. Brudley has opened a first-class restaurant
on Mason Street;
Messrs. Reed & Ferris have a large blacksmith shop
and are doing a prosperous business.
J. F. Duval has a boot and shoe
shop on Mason Street.
We have at present four hotels, all of which
are doing a prosperous business. The Mason House, so well known to the
public, is being thoroughly overhauled. The rooms are all being newly
ceiled, papered and furnished in the most comfortable manner. The walls
which are now known to be made of logs are to be sided on the outside so
that it will appear to be a log building no more. Mr. Mason is a pleasant
and obliging landlord, and is ready to do anything for the comfort and
entertainment of all who are so fortunate as to stop with him. He has placed
on the lake for the entertainment of guests a fine pleasure boat that is
truly delightful to ride in. The tables are spread with the very best that
the market affords. Everything presents a tidy and tasty appearance.
The American Hotel on Mitchell Street, nearly opposite the depot on the
east, quite recently opened, presents a fine appearance and is acknowledged
by everyone as having first-class accommodations. The building is 80x100
feet, two story.
Messrs. Teller & Parks, proprietors of the Clam Lake
House, are still occupying their old quarters on Lake Street. Their new
building on Mitchell street is now enclosed and will soon be ready for
occupancy. When finished, it will be the largest and decidedly the
handsomest building in town.
Messrs, Sanders & Walker have purchased
the new building of Bremyer Bros., and are putting in a stock of groceries
Abbot & Turner have opened their new store on Mason
Street, having a good line of groceries and confectionaries.
Motts have their new building on Lake Street enclosed, and when finished it
is to be occupied by them for a fruit and vegetable store.
& Cole have erected a new building on Mitchell Street. They intend putting
in groceries and provisions.
Dr. Dillenbeck has the frame up for his
new drug store on Mitchell Street.
Mr. Bunyea, on Mitchell Street is
enclosing his large building to be used for groceries.
Mr. Born has
purchased the building recently occupied by Mr. Tracy for a dwelling, and is
fitting it up for a dry goods, boot and shoe store.
Mr. Kirkbride is
putting on the finishing touch to his new furniture rooms on Harris Street,
in which you may expect to see a full line of furniture.
Mr. C. B.
Earl is making ready to lay the foundation of a large store on Mason Street
immediately to the east of the railroad, in which he proposes to keep for
sale sash, door, blinds, glass, paints, oil, etc.
Mr. Vaughn has
purchased of R. P. Thurber, the large store and boarding house block, which
is to be painted outside, and the rooms now occupied for a boarding-house
are to have a general overhauling, and be fitted up in the most improved
The number of new dwellings that are being erected each week
would have to be reckoned by the dozen.
A lot has been selected and
given by Mr. Mitchell for the erection of a school building. It covers one
whole block, lying on an elevation commanding a most beautiful view of the
town. The contract has been let for the building of a temporary house to be
used for a season, when a building is to be erected that will be an ornament
to the village.
The Presbyterian and Methodist societies have
selected lots, which have been given by Mr. Mitchell for church purposes. A
move is already on foot in which to build suitable edifices for public
Among the local items of the first and second numbers of the
News were the following:
Rev. J. Redpath held an open air service
last Sunday evening in front of the Mason House;
Rev. J. Redpath will
hold services in the open air in front of the Mason House next Sunday
morning at half-past ten. A special invitation is extended to all.
George Turner, Esq., station agent, has been making some very noticeable
improvements on and about his dwelling on Harris Street.
number of Swedes are daily arriving and settling on the lands on the Grand
Rapids & Indiana Railroad north of this place.
Capt. Hart, of
Greenville, has recently placed upon the lake a little side-wheel steamer
for pleasure riding.
Mr. J. M. Phrisbie is laying the foundation for
a new store on Madon Street.
Mr. Tracy has the contract for building
a school-house and the work has already commenced.
Sealed bids will
be received at the office of the director of School District No. 6, town of
Clam Lake, until 4 o'clock p.m., of Saturday, June 8, 1872, to build a
school-house. Plans and specifications at the director's office and at the
office of A. G. Larcom.
Over four hundred tons of railroad iron are
piled up at this place. Track laying on the road north will commence in a
Messrs. Shackleton & Green raised the smoke stack to their
new mill one day this week. It is seventy feet high and presents quite an
exalted appearance. They expect to steam up next week.
Our town is made
lively by pleasure parties arriving on nearly every train, and from all
parts of the state, to hunt and fish in and around Clam Lakes and enjoy a
pleasant pastime in our village. July 13, 1872, it was stated in the years
that Mr. McLain, the county surveyor, had been enlarging the village plat so
that it covered nearly 200 acres. The following week it contained the
following with reference to railroad matters:
"The railroad to this
point is in excellent running order, well equipped with modern improvements
and under the management of efficient and courteous officers and employees.
The track is laid about five miles north of the lake, and although five
hundred men are now employed on the line, an effort is being made by Talcott
& Co., the principal contractors, to double the force. It is expected that
the work of grading and ironing ninety miles of road this reason will be
accomplished and that next summer the Straits of Mackinaw will be reached."
During 1872 and 1873 the population of the village increased with
wondrous rapidity. The greatest activity prevailed, and all the business
interests were remarkably prosperous.
In June, 1878, the "News"
completed its first volume, and in a review of the year, said:
year that is past has been an eventful one in the history of Clam Lake. The
village has much more than doubled its population, and has assumed a
commercial importance quite unlooked for by those living here at that time.
We commenced the News as a six-column sheet and published it as such for the
year; but during the latter part we have been forced to issue a supplement
with nearly every number. We now commence, an eight-column sheet and hope
thereby to do full justice both to our advertisers and our subscribers.
'The village of Clam Lake is situated in one of the most pleasant
natural localities in Northern Michigan, on the east bank of a beautiful
lake of the same name. The lake is four miles long and three miles wide,
entirely surrounded by pine timber. To the northwest of Little Clam Lake is
Big Clam Lake. They are separated by a strip of land about sixty rods wide.
Big Clam Lake is about four miles square. Both contain plenty of fish, and
those outside who wish to spend a few days in fishing, hunting and in
general abandon, can find no better place in the state than this. There is a
fine tug on the lakes, and any one wishing to go to any part of them
will find the proprietors pleasant and accommodating. The soil in and around
the village is ordinarily fertile, and but a few miles away can be found
some of as heavy timbered land and as rich soil as is known in the state.
Thus much for the natural location of Clam Lake.
"There are now
permanently located and doing a good business, the following stores: In the
dry goods, clothing and general store line are Messrs. Holbrook & May,
Messrs. Hill & Olney, J. M. Ridlon and T. Born. In the grocery trade L.
Ballou, Cornwell & LaBar, and A. M. Lamb. Besides most or all the other
stores keep some groceries though not as a specialty. Boots and shoes are
kept by Holland & May, J. K. Ridlon, Hill & Olney and T. Born, none however
making it their exclusive trade. Mr. J. F. Duval and M. H. Dunham have each
a custom shop in which all kinds of repairing is done, or new work if
There are two hardware stores, one kept by W. H. Hicks &
Co., the other by Cloud & Co.; each has a tin shop attached. There are two
exclusive millinery establishments, one kept by Mrs. Olney, the other by
Mrs. Abrams. One dressmaker and millinery shop, kept by Misses Teller &
Caswell. Two drug stores are now doing a good business, one owned by Dr. J.
Leeson, the other by Dr. O Dillenbeck.
There are now five hotels, all in good working order and each doing a very
good and prosperous business in its line. Three are first-class, via.: The
Mason House, kept by Davis & Bowen, the American, kept by Currie & Bennett,
and the Mitchell House, kept by Philander Caswell. The Farmers Home,
conducted by William Hines, and the Scandinavian, kept by Lawson & Co., are
good second-class houses, each well managed in its particular line, and
doing a good business. There are now, also two restaurants, three billiard
halls and three saloons in the place. The saw-mills are five in number, as
follows: One is owned and operated by Harris Bros., which is a large and
powerful mill running one large circular and a gang, cutting on an average
of 60,000 feet per day. Messrs. Shackleton & Green also have a very fine
mill with a capacity of 40,000 feet per day. Coombe Bros. & Co. have a new
mill which has just commenced work,
about the same grade, and with a similar capacity as the last one named.
This same firm also own and operate a portable mill with a capacity of
25,000 feet in conjunction with the other mill. On the extreme south of the
village is the mill owned by Mr. J. W. Cobbs, a fine mill for its size, and
doing a very handsome business. Its capacity is about 85,000 feet per day.
The railroad has sidings which extend quite to the lumber yards of each
mill, so that the lumber has to only be once handled to be shipped. There is
one planing-mill, owned by Mr. Haynes, which is doing a large business and
is quite crowded with work. This mill contains all the machinery for
dressing lumber in almost ready for use. There is also one steam grist-mill,
owned by Cornwell & LaBar, which is in good order and doing a fine trade.
There are now here four practicing physicians, viz: Drs. Wilcox, Leeson,
Dilenbeck and McTaggart. Two law firms, Messrs. Fallass & Sawyer, and Rice &
Rice. There is but one newspaper here, the "News".
Nine new stores
are in course or construction now and quite a number more are sure to be
built during the summer.
The new bakery, owned by Mr. Balfour, will
soon be in working order.
The first brick was burned today at the new
brick yard, so that hereafter brick may be had for all purposes.
About thirty new dwelling houses have been built this summer or are now in
course of construction, besides a great many others which have been much
improved. Two churches are now being built, and both will be completed
before fall and ready for use. One, the Methodist, is now so far
advanced that services are held there. The Presbyterian will be a larger
building and will not be completed so soon. A new school-house will probably
be build during the summer.
The job for taking the stumps out of
Mason and Mitchell Streets has been let, and the work is now progressing
finely. A good deal of work will also be put upon other streets, as there is
a very large road tax to be worked out somewhere.
During the last
week Rev. J. Redpath took the census of Clam Lake in order to make his
annual report, and found here 968 persons exclusive of railroad men and
those who only stay for a few weeks. This proves that there is not far from
1,200 persons who are daily in our village and upon our streets, and we are
as yet by one year and a half old.
The first week in July the work of
clearing streets seems to have been vigorously prosecuted, as in the issue
of July 5, the News mentioned the work as follows: "The job of
pulling the stumps from the principal streets of the village is now
progressing finely. The stump machine is now opposite our office on Mitchell
Street, and rapidly moving down the street toward its southern end, leaving
a very hard road to travel in its wake."
Not long after this was
stated that every store in the village, whether finished or unfinished, was
either occupied, or rented to be occupied as soon as finished, and several
business men who desired to locate here were unable to procure rooms. We
will now notice more in detail the religious and educational progress of the
The post office was established in January, 1872; became a presidential
office Jan. 1, 1878, and a second-class office Oct. 1, 1881
of the different postmasters who have had charge of the office and the
period of service is as follows
|John S. McLain
||Jan. 25, 1872 to July 12, 1872
|Henry P. May
||July 12, 1872 to April 1, 1874
||April 1, 1874 to April 10, 1875
|A. J. Whitmore
||April 10, 1875 to July 1, 1877
||July 1, 1877 to present (1880)
The office has been furnished with a large number of Yale lock-boxes, and
has been refitted from time to time as the requirements of the public seemed
to make necessary. The name of the office was Clam Lake until the name of
the village was changed to Cadillac.
In June, 1878, the business of
the office was reported as follows: Receipts for quarter ending June 30,
1872. $172.98; for quarter ending Sept. 30, 1872, $274.75; for quarter
ending Dec. 31, 1872, $ 395.95.
The business reported for the quarter
ending June 30, 1874 was as follows:
Amount of stamps sold
Amount received for box rent
Amount received for paper postage
Amount received on unpaid letters
Number of money orders issues
Amount received for same
Amount paid on money orders drawn 1,064.58
Early in 1874 the people of Clam Lake reached the conclusion that their
interests would be advanced by being incorporated under a village charter.
In February of that year a visitor to the place gave a brief outline of its
business interests as follows:
"Clam Lake is not three years old,
yet it has a population of 1,500 thorough-going people. It is the present
nothern terminus of the G.R. & I. Railway.
"To show at a glance the
genuine and healthful growth of this busy town one needs only to mention the
mercantile firm of Holbrook & May, dealers in general merchandise. They
began trade here only two years since with a nominal capital and now have a
store 190 feet long, and do an annual business of $80,000.
next is the house of High Bros. & Co., who are men of energy and integrity.
"LaBar, Heath & Co., are dealers in lumbermen's supplies. They lead the
trade in this line, and are, withal, genial gentlemen.
McKinnon & Co., are a heavy lumber firm and are just now engaged in building
one of the largest hotels in Northern Michigan in the well founded belief
that summer pleasure travel will tend in this direction.
is not without that necessary adjunct of a well ordered village, a sprightly
weekly newspaper. The Clam Lake News is an honor to the town and
sufficient evidence of the journalistic abilities of its editor and
proprietor, Mr. Cl. . Frazier.
"Regretting that space and time forbid
further extended notice, we would mention as worthy of remark the following
business people and firms; McIntyre & Rice, attorneys; F. H. Huntley,
jeweler; F. R. Osgood, boots, shoes and groceries; John Turner, groceries
and cabinet ware; J. H. McKinnon, groceries and crockery; Cornell & Roy,
restaurateurs; Lydell & Kennedy, blacksmiths; Hill & Olney, general
merchandise; H. Crandell, deputy sheriff; Ferris & Co., blacksmiths; E. H.
Reynolds, stock dealer; W. H. Hicks & Co., hardware; A. McCullom,
restaurateur; Mrs. N. Abrams, millinery; McCarty & Struble, restaurateurs;
G. W. Kirkbride, manufacturer of an excellent quality of mineral paint, and
the inventor of a new car coupling, likely to come into general use; Dr.
John Leeson, druggist; Culver & McCarty, Occidental dining-rooms.
"Mr. L. D. Stuart is the genial and hospitable proprietor of the Mitchell
House, an attractive and well kept hotel, and worthy of the fullest
"The remaining hotels are the Lake House, F. G. Voeburg,
proprietor; the American House, conducted by Carrie & Bennett; and the Mason
House, under the direction of its proprietor, Mr. S. C. Mason."
forgoing may not be perfect in all respects but it gives a general idea of
the mercantile business of the place.
The village was incorporated
by the board of supervisors under the law of 1873, and the first election
was held in May, 1874.
The law under which the village had been
incorporated was declared unconstitutional and a new law passed by the
legislature of 1875. Under the new law the village was re-incorporated by
act of legislature, approved April 25, 1875, and embraced the following
described territory to-wit: The northwest quarter of Section 8, and
all of Section 4 in Township 21 north, of Range 9 west, and the southwest
quarter of Section 33 and the southwest quarter of Section 34, in Township
22, north, of Range 9 west.
In 1875 George J. Shacketon was elected
presidential, and the trustees were Robert Christenson, L. O. Harris, A M.
Lamb, S. F. Long, D. McKay and Mr. Pratt. Clerk, E. F. Sawyer.
There were 220 votes registered and 136 votes cast. President, George J.
Shackleton; clerk, David A. Rice; treasurer, George Holbrook; trustees,
Messrs. Henry F. May, L. O. Harris, J. B. Cornwell.
In the winter of
1877 the people of the village determined, if possible to incorporate under
a city charter,. the necessary steps in that direction were taken. A bill
was introduced into the legislature, and late in April, a publich meeting
was held, and means provided for securing the passage of the bill.
The bill was passed by the legislature and became a law, providing as
"That the following described territory, to wit: The
northwest quarter of Section 8 and all of Section 4, in Township 21 north,
of Range 9 west, the southeast quarter and the southwest quarter of the
southwest quarter of Section 33, and the southwest quarter of Section 34, in
Township 22 north, of Range 9 west, in the county of Wexford, and state of
Michigan, be incorporated into ant the same is hereby made, constituted, and
organized into a city, to be known as the city of Cadillac.
"Immediately after this act shall take effect, the board of trustees of the
village of Clam Lake, Wexford County, Mich., shall proceed to divide the
territory herein incorporated into such number of wards as they shall deem
necessary, not exceeding three in all, and the division shall be so made as
to make the territory and population of the several wards as nearly equal as
"The said city of Cadillac shall, in all things not herein
otherwise provided, be governed by, and its powers and duties defined and
limited by an act entitled 'An act for the incorporation of cities,' being
act number 178, of the session laws of 1873, approved April 29, 1873, which
act is hereby made and constituted a part of the charter of said city of
Cadillac, except as herein otherwise provided. Provided, That the mayor and
aldermen of said city shall serve without compensation. And provided
further, That the sums raised by general tax for city-purposes (exclusive of
the sums raised for schools and school purposes), shall not in any one year
exceed one per cent on the assessed value of all the real and personal
property in said city made taxable by law.
"In case sufficient time
shall not intervene after the division of said city into wards to give the
required notice of election, on the first Monday in April, in the year of
our Lord 1877, then the first election in said city shall be held on the
first Monday in September, in the year of our Lord 1877, and the manner of
holding said first election, and the giving of notice thereof shall be the
same as near as may be, as is prescribed in Sections 11, 12, 13 and 14, of
Chapter 1, of an act entitled 'An act for the incorporation of cities,'
approved April 29, 1873.
Act No. 336 of the session laws, 1875,
approved April 22, 1875, is hereby repealed."
"In 1879 the charter
was amended so as to include the following described territory within the
city limits: Section 3, 4, and 5, the north half of the northeast quarter of
Section 8, and the northwest quarter of Section 9, all in Township 21 north
of Range 9 west, the south half of Section 33, and the west half of Section
34, in Township 22 north, of Range 9 west.
A union convention was
held to nominate a city ticket, and the following named gentlemen were put
in nomination: Mayor, George A. Mitchell; marshal, Horton Crandell; clerk,
Lorenzo Ballou; treasurer, Daniel F. Comstock; collector, Horton Crandell;
street commissioner, Charles Cole; school inpectors, Levi O. Harris, three
years, Jacob Cummer, two years, Charles M. Ayer, one year; justices of the
peace, Holden N. Green, four years, Eugene F. Sawyer, three years, John B
Rosevelt, two years; Robert Christensen, one year; aldermen at large, Milton
J. Bond, two years, Daniel W. Peck, one year.
City Officers since
then have been as follows:
||W. W. Mitchell
||J. J. White
||alderman at large
||H. C. Larsen
||L. G. Lawson, N. Haynes, E. Lapham, John
||W. W. Mitchell
||D. E. McIntyre
||D. E. Cooke
||aldermen at large
||Alvin A. Mitchell, George A. Dillenbeck;
||L. G. Lawson, William Saunders
||Edward Lapham, M. J. Bond
||J. G. Mosser, J. W. Cobbs
||John M. Rice
||W. H. Wood
||D. E. Cooke
||H. N. Green
||J. C Born
||H. N. Green
||alderman at large
||G. A Dillenbeck
||Norman D. Haynes, George Holbrook, Ronald
||John B. Rosevelt
||John M. Rice
||S. F. Long
||John C. born
||A. J. Teed
||alderman at large
||G. A. Dillenbeck, E. L. Metheany
||N. Haynes, L. G. Lawson
||George Holbrook, D. W. Peck
||Henry Ballou, Charles M. Ayer
||Rollin L. Rice
||E. M. Hutchinson
||F. H. Messmore
||G. W. Heath
||A. J. Teed
||aldermen at large
||E. L. Metheany, Austin W. Mitchell
||L. G. Lawson, William Crippen
||D. W. Peck, Charles Haynes
||Henry Ballou, Osmond Reed
||E. L. Metheany
||M. L. Dunham
||E. M. Hutchinson
||F. H. Messmore
||M. W. Heath
||A. J. Teed
||aldermen at large
||W. W. Cummer, Austin W. Mitchell
||A. L. Scoby, William Crippen
||F. C. Sampson, Charles Haynes
||L. J. Law, Osmond Reed
||E. H. Huntley
||M. L. Dunham
||F. A. Clery
||W. H. Arms
||A. J. Teed
||aldermen at large
||W. W. Cummer, Austin W. Mitchell
||L. G. Lawson, N. D. Haynes
||F. C. Sampson, Edward Lupham
||T. J. Jennings, S. H. Merritt
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION
March 2, 1877, a number of the ladies of the of Cadillac met at the M. E.
Church and a "Woman's Christian Temperance Union" was organized through the
influence, and by the aid of Mr. Cameron, of East Saginaw.
reading and adoption of a constitution and by-laws, and the reception of
members, the society proceeded to the election of officers, with the
following result: President, Mrs. H. N. Green; first vice-president, Mrs.
John Turner, second vice-president, Mrs. C. M. W. Earle; secretary, Mrs. S.
S Fallass; treasurer, Mrs. G. A. Mitchell; executive committee, Mrs. L
Rockwell, Mrs. A. K. Moyer, Mrs. George Holbrook, Mrs. Ada Cummer, Mrs.
Laura Towle; finance committee, Mrs. W. H. Hicks, Mrs. H. Crandell and Mrs.
This society has maintained an active existence to the
present time. The principal officers are: President, Mrs. George Mitchell;
secretary, Mrs. Ella Stevens, treasurer, Mrs. Wellington Cummer.
Clam Lake Lodge, No. 281, F. & A. M., was instituted in the spring of 1875.
The officers in 1883 are W. M., J. R. Bishop; S. W., Frank C. Sampson; J.
W., Isaac Murphy; treasurer, J. J. Morser; secretary, Henry Skelley.
Cadillac Chapter, No. 103, R.A.M., was chartered in August, 1878. Officers
in 1883: -- H. P., J. H. Hixson; K., J. G. Sosser; scribe, John M. Rice;
secretary, Frank C. Sampson; treasurer, Chas. L. Andress.
Lodge, No. 250, I.O.O.F., was organized in June, 1875, with about seven
charter members. The present membership is about 130. In 1881 this lodge
erected a new hall, which was dedicated Nov. 1, 1881. The occasion was
honored was honored with the presence of Schuyler Colfax, ex-vice president
of the United States, and grand Master Samuel Adams of Detroit, who
conducted the ceremonies and was assisted by District Deputy S. F. Long,
Past Grand S. S. Fallass and other members of the fraternity in this city.
The ceremonies were public and the new hall was well filled with people, who
listened attentively to the brief but somewhat impressive exercises. After
concluding the dedicatory ceremonies, Grand Master Adams addressed some
highly complimentary remarks to the Odd Fellows of this place, whose
enterprise and zeal is shown in the substantial new brick structure erected
and now dedicated to the use of the order. On retiring from the position of
presiding officer on the occasion he introduced Past Grand Master Schuyler
Colfax, of Indiana, who gave to the audience one of the most eloquent and
impressive addresses. The officers in 1888 are, N. G., George A Cummer; V.
G., George Gilhooley; secretary, E. J. Haynes; F. S. David Adley; treasurer
Cadillac Camp, No. 93, I.O.O. F., was organized in October,
1882, and has about thirty members. Officers: -- C.P., H. F. Askam; S. W.,
S.S. Fallass; J. W., S. F. Long; H. P., C. G. Reed; scribe, George A.
Garfield Temple, P. C., was started in 1883, and has nineteen
members. Officers: Oracle, G. A. Cummer; vice-oracle, C. G. Reed; marshal,
S. S. Fallass; secretary, John Graham; treasurer J. P., Knudson; guard, R.
The George A. Mitchell Council of Royal Arcanum was
organized Jan. 28, 1882, with about twenty charter members. The following
officers were chosen for the ensuing term: -- R., C. W. Higgins; V. R., C.
H. Drury; ; P. R., D. E. McIntyre; secretary, C. L. Rogers; colonel, L.J.
Law; T., Fred Tracy; C., Dr. H. F. Askam; G., C.C. Durham; S., Dr. J.M.
Wardell. Officers in the fall of 1883: --R., S. S. Fallass; V. R., J.
B. Rosevelt; orator, H. F. Askam; secretary, L. J. Law; treasurer, Frederick
Tracy; chaplain, C. T. Chapin; guide G. E. Adams; warden George Glass;
sentry, C. A. Rysdale.
Washington Post, No. 82, G.A.R., was fully
organized in February 1888. Officers installed Feb. 8th: -- Past commander,
C. S. Brodt, senior vice-commander, George Wheeler; junior vice-commander,
Harvey Smith; adjutant, M. A. Watrous; quartermaster, Harry Goff; surgeon,
-- Holmes; chaplain, Z. Gillett; officer of the day, R. P. Orser. Officers
in 1888: -- P. C., C. S. Brodt; S. V. C., O. S. Whitmore; J. V. C., Harvey
Smith; adjutant, E. M. Watrous; Q., H.H. Goff; surgeon, Oscar Holmes;
chaplain, Z. Gillett; O.D., R. P. Orser; O. G. W. S. Ormes. There are about
Chamenia Lodge of Good Templars was organized in
January, 1874, with the following officers: -- W. C. T., F. R. Osgood; W. V.
T., Mrs. Julia Hopkins; W. S., A. M. Lamb; W. T., J. G. Moser; W. M., W. H.
Brown; W.I G., Miss Ada M. Osgood; W. O. G., W. S. Spaulding; W. F. S.,
This lodge appears to have become inoperative after a
time, and in August, 1880, Cadillac Lodge was organized with twenty-seven
charter members, and the following officers: -- W. C. T., C. W. Higgins; W.
V. T., Mrs. William Saunders; W. secretary, C. L. Frost; W. F. secretary, A.
D. Brodbier; W. treasurer, Bert Haynes; W. O. G., Fred Canfield; W. I. G.,
Miss Susie Saunders; W. M., Frank Craine. During the first year the
membership reached as high as 106 active members. Officers in the fall of
W. C. T., E. J. Haynes; W. V., Sate Austin; secretary,
Frank H. Goodman; W. F. S., Lena Hartwell; W. T., Henry Knowlton; M.
A., A. G. Stearns.
Cadillac Lodge K. of P., No. 46, was organized in
October, 1883. Officers: -- P. O., C. E. Miller; C. C., M. C. Wheaton; V.
C., E. L. Metheany; P., R. J. Cummer; K. of R., Frank Clary; M. of F., Henry
Ballou; M. of E., Charles H. Drury; M. of A., E. D. Snow.
Forrester Club is one of the important Societies of the city. The
club-house and opera-house described in another place, is the property of
this club. The officers elected at the last election were as follows: --
President, J. G. Mosser; vice-president, J. M. Rice; secretary, J. H.
Hixson; treasurer, F. H. Messmore. Also the following trustees: -- C. L.
Andress, F. A. Koegol, E. L. Metieary, G. A. Dillenbeck and J. M. Wardell.
THE CADILLAC TIMES
The Cadillac Weekly Times was started under another name at Mendon, St.
Joseph County, in June, 1882, and removed from thence to Cadillac. The
founder, Alf Ridge, has been the only publisher and editor. It was commenced
as a seven-column folio, and in August, 1882, was enlarged to a seven-column
quarto. Politically it is independent.
THE OPERA HOUSE
1881, the Cadillac Forrester Club erected a large building on the lake
shore, a portion of which was finished off for a opera house, which in all
respects is adapted to the needs of the city in the way of a suitable place
for holding public entertainments. The city is furnished with water works
and all the modern improvements. The water-works building was burned in
April 1882, but immediately rebuilt.
The McKinnon House is a
first-class hotel It is the largest house in Cadillac. It has fine simple
rooms, and is fitted out with electric bells. C. L. Andress is proprietor.
For more Wexford County Biographies, click HERE.
THORP, Thomas J., clerk and register of
Wexford County, is forty-seven years old and a native of Allegany County,
N.Y. He was educated at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y. enlisted at the
breaking out of the rebellion in the Eighty Fifth New York Regiment; served
with distinction during the peninsular campaign; was wounded at Fair Oaks
and Malvern Hill, Va.; in 1862 he was made Lieutenant Colonel of the One
Hundred and Thirtieth New York Infantry. After the battle of Gettysburg,
Pa., his regiment was mounted and afterward known as the famous First New
York Dragoons, and took an active and prominent part in all the great
cavalry battles until the close of the war. In June, 1864, Col. Thorp was
wounded and taken prisoner at Travillion, Va. In December, of the same
year, he was made full colonel of his regiment. On the 4th of July, 1864,
while in prison stockade at Macon, Georgia, Col. Thorp made a 4th of July
speech which was interpreted as incendiary, and for which he was taken out
of the stockade to be hung, but the confederate authorities became convinced
from the demonstrations made by the 2,000 prisoners in the stockade that the
safety of the city of Macon, as well as the lives of their guard would be
better conserved by returning him to the stockade, which was done at the
close of that day. In March, 1865, Col. Thorp was made brigadier general for
gallant and meritorious conduct on the field. July 17, of the same
year, he was honorably discharged from the service of the United States,
after a service of four years and seventeen days, during which time he
participated in forty-six engagements. On his return to civil life he
engaged in farming in Livingston County, N.Y. In 1871 he sold his farm
and came to Wexford County as a pioneer, where he cleared and equipped an
elegant farm in the town of Selma. In 1872 he was called to take
charge of a large public school in teh city of Buffalo, N.Y., where he
continued in educational work five years. At the close of this engagement he
made two extended trips to the Pacific Coast in the interests of A. S.
Barnes & Co., publishers of New York, after which he returned to his farm in
Wexford County. He is a present servicing his second term as clerk and
register of said county.
Cobbs (of Cobbs & Mitchell, dealers in pine and hemlock lumber),
formerly resided in Butlerville, Ind., and was for many years engaged in
manufacturing hard wood lumber at that place. Mr. Cobb came to Cadillac in
the year 1872 and purchased the property known as the Hall mill site, the
mill being the first built on the shore of Clam Lake, and manufactured
lumber for George A. Mitchell until the year 1877, when the firm of Cobb &
Mitchell was organized.
William W. Mitchell
(of Cobbs & Mitchell, dealers in pine and hemlock
lumber), formerly resided at Hillsdale, Mich., attending Hillsdale College
until coming to Cadillac in the year 1873, where he first commenced his
schooling in the lumber business as tallyman in what was known as the Coombs
mill, subsequently being associated with A. B. Mitchell in a few logging
enterprises until 1874. when he assumed the duties of foreman in George A.
Mitchell's lumber yard at the Cobbs mill until the firm of Cobbs & Mitchell
was formed in 1877.
Captain L. J.
Newson, wholesale and retail dealer in liquors, cigars and tobacco, was
born in Canada in 1841; came to Elk Rapids, Antrim County, Mich., in 1861,
and was in the employ of Dexter Noble & Co. for nine years as captain of
steamboats and tugs. Came to Cadillac in 1870, and engaged in his
present business. He is one of the first settlers. Married in October, 1878,
to Mrs. Matilda Smith, a daughter of Mitchell Gay, who came to Traverse City
in 1847; was employed by Mr. Boardman, the first settler here, and who built
the first mill.
Fred S. Kieldsen,
wholesale and retail grocer, and dealer in lumbermen's supplies. Successor
to Holbrook & May. Bought out that firm in 1881; was employed by them as a
salesman for ten years previous to that time. Was born in Denmark in 1849;
came to Cadillac in 1870. In connection with his mercantile business he owns
and manages a farm of 340 acres, with 180 acres improved, two and one-half
miles from the city. Keeps a dairy of forty-five cows; is a breeder of
Holstein cattle, and is one of the first settlers of Cadillac. Married in
1873 to Flora Cheney of Buffalo, N.Y. They have two sons.
John G. Mosser, contractor and builder and
dealer in stone, lime, plaster, brick, hair and cement, also manufacturer of
handmade and pressed brick, Cadillac, Mich., was born in Canada in 1840.
Came to Michigan in 1865; build all the bridges on the Grand Rapids &
Indiana Railroad between Sturgis and Petoskey.; Built and owned the first
frame house in Cadillac; located in Cadillac in 1873, and carried on the
business of a builder since that time. Married in 1875 to Sadie A. Kent, a
native of Pennsylvania. They have one child.
John Mansfield, county treasurer of Wexford
County, was born in Connecticut in 1842. Enlisted in 1861 in First New York
Cavalry, part of Custer's division, and was discharged in 1865. Married
Adelaide Holmes, of Manchester, Mich. They have four children. Mr. Mansfield
came to Wexford County in 1872, and located in teh Township of Boon, where
he purchased 400 acres of land. He was supervisor of the township from the
time of its organization until 1880, when he was elected county treasurer.
Samuel James Wall Biography
Eldon L. Metheany Biography
E. Eugene Haskins, attorney-at-law,
Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in New York in 1849. His earlier
education was at Auburn. Studied law at Grand Rapids, and was admitted to
the bar Dec 22, 1877, in circuit court, Kent County. Came to Cadillac in
December, 1880. Has been United States court commissioner for the western
district since 1881. Married in February, 1883 to Mae Consaul, native of New
Donald E. McIntyre,
attorney-at-law, Cadillac, Wexford County, was born at Ann Arbor, Mich., in
1852. Was graduated from the literary department of Ann Arbor
University in 1870, and from the law department in 1872. Commenced practice
at Big Rapids, where he remained about one year. Came to Cadillac in 1878,
and has continued practice here. was city attorney several years, and member
of the county board of supervisors. Elected prosecuting attorney for the
county in the fall of 1882.
F. H. Huntley,
jeweler, and mayor of the city of Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in
Allegany County, N.Y., in 1840. Remained there until he was fifteen years of
age, when he came with his parents to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he was for
several years employed in a store. His health failing, he engaged in teaming
and other outdoor employments. IN 1862 he enlisted in the Seventeenth
Michigan Infantry, serving in the Army of the Potomac; was wounded in the
hand at South Mountain. Mustered out in February, 1868. Returned to
Kalamazoo, and thence to Saranac, Ionia County. Came to Cadillac in 1878 and
engaged in his present business of jeweler and watch-maker, commencing
business with a cash capital of two dollars and a half. He has been alderman
two terms, and was elected mayor in the spring of 1884. His family consists
of a wife and two sons.
A. J. Teed, civil
engineer and land surveyor, of Cadillac, Wexford County, was born at
Tecumseh, Mich., in 1844. Educated at Kalamazoo College. Taught in that
college, in Franklin College, Ind., and in various other schools, being
engaged in teaching five years. Was county surveyor of Van Buren County
three years, Has followed civil engineering and surveying in northern
Michigan for the last six years, coming to Cadillac in 1877, and making his
home here. Has county been surveyor of Wexford County four years, city
surveyor five years, and justice of the peace four years. During the last
six months of the war of the rebellion. Mr. Teed served in the United
States Navy. He was married in 1878 to Letty Edson, and has two children.
C.K. Russell, proprietor of the American
House, Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in New York in 1826. His home,
until his coming to Michigan, was in Connecticut. A portion of his early
life he spent as a sailor, being master of a vessel at the age of
twenty-one. He came to Kent County, Mich., in 1876, and remained three
years, returning to Connecticut in the spring of 1875. The same year he came
to Cadillac and bought the American House in August. This house he has
enlarged, improved and refurnished, making it one of the best, most
commodious, convenient and comfortable in this section of the state. It has
sixty-seven sleeping-rooms. Is centrally located on the southeast corner of
Mitchell and Harris Streets. Mr. Russell was married in 1819 to Henrietta J.
Smith. They have one daughter, the wife of Dr. J. N. Coleman, of Grand
Rapids. Three children have died.
Lewis G. Lawson, of Cadillac, Wexford County,
is a native of Norway, born in 1832. Many years of his early life were
spent as a sailor of the Baltic and North Seas. He came to America at the
age of twenty, settling in Canada, where he worked at shoemaking, having
learned that trade in the old country. After a residence of five and a half
years in Canada, he came to Michigan and was engaged in farming in St. Clair
County. Dec. 16, 1864, he enlisted in the Third Michigan Infantry, servicing
in the Army of the Cumberland. Was mustered out as corporal at Victoria,
Tex., May 25, 1866. Lived in Detroit about two years, then moved to Grand
Rapids, where he was in the grocery and saloon business about three years.
Came to Cadillac in October, 1871, and built the Lake House, of which he was
proprietor about two years. After working a few years at his trade of
shoemaking, he, in 1878, started his present business of letting boats upon
the lakes. Is located on the shore of Clam Lake and has a fleet of twenty
row and sailboats. Owns and runs also the steam yacht St. Clair, for
excursions on the lakes. His family consists of a wife and seven children;
four children have died. Mr. Lawson has been an alderman of the city for
eight years, and has contributed largely to make Cadillac what it now is.
William H. Parks, of the firm Parks and
Dunham, attorneys at law, Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in Cayuga
County, N. Y., Nov. 22, 1819. IN 1823 his parents moved to Michigan and
settled at Troy, Oakland County, where he was brought up on a farm. Was
educated at a branch of the State University, located at Pontiac. At about
the age of seventeen, he made one of a government surveying party engaged in
the surveys of north Michigan under charge of John Hodson. Was engaged on
this work from about the first of March to July, 1837. Soon after he
commenced the study of the law, completing a three years' course and being
admitted to the bar in 1842, at Dewitt, Clinton County. Practiced first at
Ionia, and went thence in 1844 to Ottawa, where he remained a year. He spent
two years in the copper regions of Lake Supervisor, where he located the
Union Mine, now the Nonesuch, near Iron River, at the base of Porcupine
Mountain. Was then engaged in commercial pursuits until 1865. In January,
1856, he resumed the practice of law at Grand Haven, continuing in practice
until 1868, and being for six years prosecuting attorney of Ottawa County.
During this time he engaged with others in the lumber business, and from
1868 to 1878 devoted his attention to that business solely. He then returned
to law practice and removed to Marquette, Mich., where he remained until
1879, returning then to Holland, Ottawa county. Came to Cadillac in October,
1882. Mr. Parks was first married to Wealthy Thompson, of Bath, Maine, who
died of cholera in 1850. In 1852 he married Elizabeth N. Coolidge, of
Franklin County, Mass. He has one son, Albert S. who was general freight
agent of the Houghton & Ontonagon R. R. Co.
Harrison M. Dunham, of the firm of Parks &
Dunham, attorneys at law, is a native of Oakland County, Mich., born in
1856. Educated at Howell, Livingston County, where he studied law with
Dennis Shields. Came to Cadillac in the spring of 1880, and practiced by
himself until the winter of 1882, when he became one of the law firm of
Parks, Dunham & Dunham, which became the present firm the following year.
Mr. Dunham was married in 1888 to Kitty Parks.
William Macadam Gow
M. L. Dunham, attorney at
law, Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in Oakland County, Mich., in March,
1850. Received an academic education. Was principal of public schools for
eight years. In 1870 went to the copper mining country of Michigan. Admitted
to practice law in 1875. Held each of the offices of justice of the peace,
township clerk, and circuit court commissioner for four years. Was
prosecuting attorney on Ontonagon County for six years, resigning that
office when leaving for his present residence. In April, 1881, he founded
the Ontonagon "Herald" and edited it for the first six months of is
existence. Came to Cadillac in June, 1882. In May, 1883, he was elected city
Frank C. Sampson, of the
firm of Sampson & Drury, hardware, hardware dealers of Cadillac, Wexford
County, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., Oct 14, 1850. Was brought up at
Lyons, N.Y. At the age of seventeen came with his parents to Parma, Jackson
County, Mich. His life until the age of twenty-two was spent upon a farm;
since then he has been engaged in the hardware business, learning the
business at Jackson, Mich. Came from Jackson to Cadillac in October, 1870,
and was in the employ of Cummer &
Rawls as clerk until the establishment
of his present business, June 1, 1881. In the spring of 1883 he was elected
alderman of the Second Ward. He was married in June, 872, to Mahella
Richardson, a native of Parma, Jackson County, Mich. The firm of Sampson &
Drury carry a large and complete stock of hardware, tinware and mill and
lumbermen's supplies, and manufacture cent hook and peavey handles. Their
location in No. 107 North Mitchell Street.
A. D. Bradbeer, photographer, of Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in
Coburg, Northumberland County, Ontario, in 1851. Remained there until the
age of ten, when he moved to Brighton. For the last fourteen years he has
been mostly engaged in his present business at different points in Canada
and the States, and by assiduous labor and careful study has perfected
himself in his art. He came to Cadillac May 27, 1880, and was for a time
employed in a planing-mill. Resumed his former occupation the following year
in the employ of H. G. Bragg, with whom he was in partnership for a time.
Purchased the business in November, 1888. Mr. Bradbeer makes a specialty of
large work, portraits, viewing and framing. His studio is on East Harris
Geohuk Bradbeer, of the firm
of Bradbeer & Clary, of Cadillac, Wexford County, was born in Coburg,
Canada, in 1857. When he was five years of age his parents moved to
Brighton, Ontario, Canada, where he remained until the age of fourteen, he
then came to Michigan. Came to Cadillac in December, 1881, and in the summer
of 1883 the present partnership was formed. Messrs. Bradbeer & Clary are
doing an extensive real estate and insurance business and dealing largely,
their business averaging $3,000 per month. In insurance they represent the
following companies: Etna of Hartford, Insurance Company of North America,
Commercial Union of London, Oriental of Hartford, Union of Philadelphia,
Grand Rapids Fire, Western of Toronto, Cooper of Dayton, Phoenix of
Hartford, Mutual Benefit Life and Travelers' Accident.
R. A. Rick, attorney at law, Cadillac, Wexford
County, was born in 837 in Trumbull County, Ohio. Educated at Hillsdale
College. Enlisted in the spring of 1862 in the Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry
Regiment, which was in service in the eastern army, and was captured at
Harper's Ferry. Was immediately paroled and after a year exchanged as was
afterward on duty in the Western department. Mustered out in the spring of
1865. Mr. Rice then, in 1866, commenced the study of medicine by abandoned
it for the law, which he studied at the law school of Ann Arbor. Was
admitted to the bar at Hart, Oceana County, in 1870. Came to Cadillac in the
full of 1872, living the first attorney to locate at this point. In 1874 he
was elected prosecuting attorney of the community and held the office six
years. Was for five or six years town and village clerk. Elected supervisor
in the second ward of the city in the spring of 1884. HIs family consists of
a wife and three children.
Samuel F. Long,
justice of the peace and real estate and collecting agent, of Cadillac,
Wexford County, was born at Concord, Franklin County, Penn., July 25, 1829.
Learned the trade of tailor. At the age of about twenty-two removed to Ohio.
Came to Michigan in 1850 and engaged in farming in Kent County. Aug. 15,
1862, he enlisted in the Sixth Michigan Cavalry, serving with the Army of
the Potomac. Was detached and on scouting service a year and a half in the
Shenandoah Valley. Was discharged for disability at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.,
in July 1865. Returning home he was employed in farming until his health
failed, when he engaged in the grocery business in the town of Buchanan,
Berrien Country. In the spring of 1878 came to Cadillac and was in the
employ of the G.R. & I. R. R. Co., as engineer of stationary engine five
years. Then in charge of the water works one year, and carried on a grocery
business for M. H. Bond one and a half years. In 1880 he was elected justice
of the peace and re-elected in 1884 for the full term. Is also real estate
and collecting agent. Has a wife and five children. One daughter is a
graduate of Ann Arbor Medical College and is practicing medicine at Boyne
City, Mich. Mrs. Long was Julia A. Byers, a native of Washington County,
C.R. Reach, M.D., Cadillac, was born in St.
Johnsbury, Vt., 15, 1827. He was educated in Vermont and commenced the
practice of medicine in 1850. Remained in that state in the practice of his
profession till 1878, when he came to Grand Traverse County, Mich., where he
still practiced medicine till 1882, when he came to Cadillac. In connection
with his practice he keeps bath rooms where he gives Turkish, medicated
vapor and shower baths. Ladies' bath rooms attached with female attendants.
Married in 1849 to Cynthia Damon, of Springfield, Vt. They have four
J. Cummer Biography
David E. Cooke, of Cadillac, Wexford
County, was born in Tioga County, Penn., May 12, 1845. At the age of eleven
he came to Michigan, his parents settling in Barry County, where he was
brought up on a farm. Learned the trade of carpenter and builder in St.
Joseph County and followed it there until 1872. He enlisted February 26,
1865, in the First Michigan Cavalry, serving in the Army of the Potomac. At
the close of the war the regiment was sent to the western department for
service against the Indians, and marched across the plains to Salt Lank
City. Mustered out Dec. 7, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He came to
Cadillac, Jan. 8, 1872, and followed his former occupation until above 1880,
and to some extent since. Has been deputy sheriff and constable about twelve
years, and deputy U.S. marshal for the western district of Michigan about
ten years. Was city marshal two years, and has held various other offices.
Was elected sheriff in 1882. Married in November, 1876, to Ella Long,
daughter of Samuel F. Long, Esq., of Cadillac, and has one son. Mr. Cooke is
engaged in the jewelry business with J. L. Bennett, the firm of
Bennett & Cooke, formed in March, 1884, being located at No. 110 N. Mitchell
Byron Ballou was born near
Cleveland, O., Dec. 3, 1827. His father, Philander Ballou, and family
emigrated to Ypsilanti, Mich., in 1830, and were three weeks making the
journey with an ox team, themselves and three other families pounding corn
in a stump with the Indians the first year. At this place his father died to
1836. Left home and went to Kalamazoo in 1839 to live with his aunt, a Mrs.
Nathaniel Foster, and learned the carpenter and joiner trade with his uncle
Foster, who moved to Otesgo, in Allegan County, in 1843, where Byron lived
with his uncle and finished his trade. Soon after, at the age of
twenty-three, he married Hannah Eldred, his present wife. After jobbing at
his trade about twelve years, and accumulating something, himself and
brother, L.D. Ballou, went into merchandising in the year 1856 and finally
was largely in business and owned a large amount of property, a four run
flouring-mill, a tannery, store, shoe shop, etc., but in the fluctuations of
times came out about $10,000 worse than nothing. Lived at Otesgo about
thirty-five years and sold out and paid all of his debts by $400, and
refused the repeated advice of neighbors and friends to go into bankruptcy,
but promised to pay the balance as soon as he could earn it, and has paid
those debts and interest since, although some of them had been outlawed two
and three times. Moved to Cadillac in 1871 and engaged for the first seven
years in the hardware business with John M. Cloud, and was in business under
the name of Cloud A Ballou. The city was then quite new and no roads. Mr. B.
has done a share of building up the city and country, and as a merchant and
business man, has contributed his full share to help build up and improve
the country and to assist others. Mr. Ballou is a radical Republican in
politics, and for several years was chairman of the Republican county
committee. He is a man of strong convictions upon all subjects that engage
public attention. He has once been elected mayor of Cadillac, but resigned
at the end of three months. Mr. Ballou and wife have three daughters and two