History of Manton Michigan
VILLAGE OF MANTON
Manton is a smart, thriving village of four or five hundred inhabitants,
situated on the Grand Rapids & Indiana R.R., about twelve miles north of
In the summer of 1872 the railroad was being built, and
some time in August Messrs. Ezra Harger and George Manton made a trip on
foot up the line of the road to this point. Mr. Harger remarked to his
companion that there would some day be a town here. At that time James Hough
owned a tract of land and lived just north of where the depot now stands.
Messrs. Harger went immediately to Hough and bought twenty acres. His was
platted and called Cedar Creek. William Mears soon after became
interested in that plat. The first building was put up where Rose's hardware
store now stands. In September Mr. Harger brought in a stock of goods on a
construction train and started a store at this building. For some time he
lived here alone. Messrs. Mears and Manton put up store buildings in the
fall, and people began to come in.
During the following winter the
railroad company built a small depot building, the inhabitants of the
village clearing off the ground.
The first platt was called Cedar
Creek, but the railroad company subsequently platted a tract of land
adjoining the first plat and named it Manton. The station being named
Manton, the entire village was soon known by that name.
1873, the place was mentioned as follows:
town plat contains thirty acres lying on both sides of the G. R. & I. R. R.,
and is situated in the midst of a splendid farming country. As yet but few
buildings have been erected; but Mr. Manton informs us that over thirty will
be erected in the spring. Good building lots are at present worth $125 to
$160. A saw-mill has been erected by Mr. R. W. Corson. In addition to this
Messrs. Mears, Carver & Harger have a store well filled with a general
assortment of goods, Mr. O. W. Hayes keeps a good hotel, and our friend
George Manton has a boot and shoe store with a shop in connection.
Surrounded as it is on every side by the best of farming land, Manton can
not fail to have a permanent and healthy growth."
About the beginning
of 1873 a postoffice was established and Q. P. Carver appointed postmaster.
His successors have been H. B. Billings, Harry Brandenburg, M. P. Gilbert
and H. F. Campbell. The latter is postmster in 1884.
THE M. E. CHURCH
Religious activity began as soon as a little settlement was formed by
members of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, and the organization of a
church followed. The history of the society is given by Mr. Ezra Harger as
"Harry Brandenburg, a very active and energetic young man,
came to Manton as station agent for the railroad company int he winter of
1872-73. He came to us as a Methodist. He opened the depot building (the
only available one at that time) for religious services and appointed
himself preacher, so that we were thus early provided for in the line of
religious services. Mr. Brandenburg was very active in his calling as a
minister of the gospel, but in the pulpit and out of it, and came to be very
popular with the people of Manton and became a prominent member of the M. E.
Church at this place after its organization, which was effected, according
to the best records, in the fall of 1878, and a class formed numbering
"Harry Brandenburg was appointed local preacher by
Presiding Elder Miller, Aug. 17, 1878. O. J. Golden was appointed
classleader; D. S. Carvin, financial steward; U. Brandenburg, recording
steward and E. C. Rhodes, assistant steward, same date, Aug. 17, 1873.
"Rev. A. L. Thurston was appointed pastor Sept. 10, 1878, O. J. Golden
local preacher in June, 1874, and John Harger class leader, August 1, 1874.
"During the winter of 1873-74 a series of revival meetings were held in
the village school-house under the supervision and preaching of H.
Brandenburg, assisted some by Rev. William L. Tilden from Clam Lake (now
Cadillac). A great revival was the result of these meetings, and it was
rumored abroad that every soul in Manton was converted. Converts were at
least converted by the score, and the church was seemingly prosperous.
"In September, 1874, a revision of the first class was made. The revised
class numbering forty members with John Harger leader.
Golden came to be our pastor in September 1874, who only remained with us
till Nov. 25, 1874. He did not seem to be adapted to the people of our
community, and did not meet with any success.
"Harry Brandenburg next
became our pastor, but he seemed to gradually lose the place which he had
built in the heart of the people, and finally lost his power to accomplish
good among this people, that there was a marked decline in the prosperity of
"There was much contention and lack of interest and the
church passed through a period of dark times, and it is possible the church
has never fully recovered from the bad effects of the disruptions of this
"Rev. J. M. Robinson followed next as pastor in September,
1875; Sherman and Manton at this time being combined in one charge. Bro.
Robinson resided at Sherman and filled an appointment at Manton each
alternate Sabbath. No marked results were noticeable during the year of his
"Rev. F. M. Deitz followed Bro. Robinson, in September,
1876, but his health failing him he was compelled to relinquish his work in
the spring of 1877. Bro. Deitz died at Northport, Mich., soon after leaving
'Bro. Reeves came to supply the vacancy and remained to
the of conference year.
Rev. L. Dodd then pastor of M. E. Church at
Cadillac, had an evening appointment at this place once in two weeks during
the conference year of 1878. Bro. Dodds held a series of revival meetings
during the winter of 1877-78, and the church was revived by not materially
"Rev. J. M. Whitney became pastor of this church in
September, 1878, and was returned in 1879. Bro. Whitney was faithful in his
work for the Master, and first year created the east and west appointments
and organized six classes and preached each alternate Sabbath at each
appointment. It was largely due to exertions of Bro. Whitney that the
churcdh building now occupied by the church was built in 1879. The site for
the church building was located in 1877, and a warranty deed procured for
the same in the moth of March of that year.
"Rev. S. Steele became
pastor in September, 1880; remained one year; was succeeded by Rev. George
Various in September, 1881.
"Rev. Daniel Green became pastor in
September, 1882, and was followed by our present pastor, Rev. George S.
Hicks." The church at Manton numbers forty-one members.
Dec. 8, 1883
IN JUNE, 1873
The following mention was made of the village:
"The Manton of a year
ago consisted of a howling wilderness, with no mark of the advancement of
civilization to mar the monotony of the scene. But energetic and daring men,
such as are found in Northern Michigan, saw that the iron horse was rapidly
working its way in that direction, and a village was at once laid out. The
first building was erected in September last.
"The Manton of today
has a neat little store of general merchandise, conducted by Messrs. Harger
& Carver, which appears to be in a prosperous condition. These gentlemen are
wide awake business men and on the high road to fortune. Mr. Carpenter has
also a new building nearly completed, which we were told is to be filled
with a stock of goods. Mr. George Manton attends to the soles of the people
in a prompt and business like manner, and also has on hand an assortment of
boots and shoes of outside manufacture.
"Mtr. Seamans has a stream
saw-mill in full operation, which turns out about 10,000 feet of lumber
daily, the greater part of which goes to supply the home demand. We noticed
that one team was kept going all day distributing lumber in various parts of
"The welfare of the rising generation is also being
carefully looked to. A large and beautiful school building is in the course
of erection, which, when completed, will cost nearly one thousand dollars.
"The Sturr Bros. have quite a large hotel in operation, and D. S. Carvin
has just completed a building to be occupied by him for entertaining and
refreshing the weary traveler.
"Dr. Rhodes attends to the aches and
pains of the people of that section, and is destined to be a bright and
shining light among the people of Manton.
"Levi Hall has just
completed a building which is to be used by him as a blacksmith shop. Mr.
Hall is spoken of as a first class workman.
"Mr. I Huff has recently
platted an addition to the village which will be held by all odds the most
desirable part of town for the erection of dwellings. Mr. Huff informed us
that lots were being taken quite rapidly.
"A large number of
dwellings have already been erected, and more are soon to be commenced."
The first school was taught by Mrs. O. J. Golden in a building that is
now the dwelling-house of R. Fuller.
In November, 1873, the business
of the village was again mentioned as follows:
"The place now has
about thirty buildings and claims a population of 160 actual residents.
There are four stores, of which is Mr. Carvers's, successor to Harger &
Carver, dealer in general merchandise. Mr. Carver is having a good trade.
This was the first store started in the place, and its many customers look
upon it as a good place to trade. Messrs. Stover & Son have recently opened
a general store and are building up a good trade. W. Higgins is doing a
general mercantile business. Mrs. Barney, of Sherman, has opened a millinery
establishment. The dwellings are generally of a good class. Two hotels are
well patronized - the Manton House, conducted by D. S. Carvin, and the Sturr
House, managed by Sturr Bros. The former will be mentioned more in full
before we are through. A fine school building costing $1,000 is now fully
completed. The improved iron frame seats, thirty in number , have been
put in, and the building as finished is certainly a credit to the place. The
services of Miss Louisa Haberesenttenger have been procured for the winter
term, and fifty or sixty pupils will be iin attendance. Mr. Seaman has had a
saw-mill in operation for the past eight or nine months, with a capacity of
about 20,000 per day, which has more than supplied the demands of the
village for lumber. A shingle mill being put in by Messrs. Brandenburg
& Gilbert will be ready to runt his week, and will make business for a large
number of men, and add new impetus to the business of the place. Mr.
Ezra Harger has a fine new dwelling just completed. Mr. Seaman has a large
dwelling which, when completed, will be among the best in town. Mr. Brown
has a large and nicely finished dwelling. Mr. Moffat and many others whose
names we are not familiar with have good buildings. The station house is a
large and well finished building."
IN JANUARY, 1877
A resident of Manton described the village as follows:
"We have three
good hotels. The Wexford House is the largest, and is a credit to any town.
Its proprietor is William Martin. The Burdick House is kept by G. W.
"The Manton House was the first hotel building in the
village, and is now owned and managed by Oscar Towns, who is doing a good
have five general stores and two drug stores, Brandenburg, Backus & Co,.
have a large store on the corner of Main and Seaman streets, 24 x 62 feet,
two stories high and will filled with a choice selection of all kinds of
bowls. This company is also doing an extensive lumber business, and employs
a large number of men and teams.
W. P. Smith keeps a grocery and
provision store on East Railroad street. This building is two stories high,
with a Masonic hall in the upper story.
H. C. McFarlan owns and
occupies a fine building on Main Street, west of the railroad, and deals win
all kings of general merchandise.
A. Woodward and John Woodward have
business houses opposite H. C. McFarlan's. A. Woodward keeps a stock of
furniture in addition to other merchandise, and John Woodward deals
principally in boots and shoes, flour and feed.
Drs. Taplan and Young
are practicing physicians and each keeps a drug store, but unfortunately for
these men of the knife and pills, Manton is too healthy for their profession
to thrive well.
Heath & Woodward have a planing-mill and matcher,
where all orders are promptly and satisfactorily executed.
Sloat has a blacksmith shop north of B.B. A. Go's store, and is doing a good
Hammon & Co. have recently built a saw-mill south of the G.
R. & I. depot.
We have two church organizations and two
Sabbath-schools, both in a prosperous condition. The schools are held at
different hours of the day. One is superintended by Dr. Taplan and the other
by Henry Engals.
The district school, taught by Prof. Bignal, has
nearly a hundred pupils in attendance and is a decided success.
In the winter of 1877 a bill was passed by the legislature providing for the
incorporation of the village of Manton out of the following described
territory: Southwest one-fourth of the southwest one-fourth of Section 8,
the same portion of Section 4, the east one-half of northeast
one-fourth of Section 9, west one-half of northwest one-fourth of Section
10, of Town 28 north, of Range 9 west.
It was provided that the first
election should take place in April, 1877, but there was a determined
opposition to the movement and no election was held at that time. Feb. 11,
1878, the first charter election was held, it being necessary to hold an
election within the year in order to keep the charter alive. Forty-eight,
votes were cast and the following officers elected: President, H. C.
McFarlan; clerk, James M. Brown; treasurer, Orland W. Hayes; assessor,
George W. Burdick; marshal, S. L. Fobs.
These officers only served
until the annual spring election.
The officers since those - elected
in February, 1878, have been as follows for the several years:
||H. C. McFarlan
||C. A Lamb
||O. W. Hayes
||James M. Brown
||Orland W. Hayes
||Charles E. Cooper
||H. C. McFarlan
||D. B. Monroe
||Ward P. Smith
||Orland W. Hayes
||Charles E. Cooper
||H. C. McFarlan
||O. J. Bradley
||S. G. Bayes
||F., A. Jenison
||C. E. Cooper
||D, S,. Taplin, O. W. Hayes, T. Hall
||F. A. Jension
||W. C Haire
||W. P. Smith
||D. B. Monroe
||Charles E. Cooper
||F. A. Jenison
||J. B. Martin
||W. P. Smith
||William S. Overhiser
||W. P. Smith
||J. B. Martin
||William S. Overhiser
Manton Lodge No. 874, F.A.M., was organized with twelve charter members May
26, 1877. The first officers were as follows: W.M., H. C. McFarlan; S. W. W.
P. Smith; J. W., James M. Brown; S. D., William H. Gilbert; J.P., S.L.
Frost; secretary, M. P. Gilbert; treasurer, Minot Shippey, Tyler, G. D.
In March, 1884, the building in which the hall was located was
burned, and the lodge lost about $300. There are the present time upwards of
thirty members. Officers as follows: W.M>, W.P. Smith; S. W., J. Brown;
secretary, B. Fuller; treasurer, M. Shippy; S. D., A. Woodward; J. D., A.
Green; Tyler, H.C. McFarlan.
A Womans' Christian Temperance Union was
organized early in April, 1877 at a meeting held at the house of Mr. Frank
Weaver. After the reading and adoption of a constitution and by-laws, the
society proceeded to the election of officers, with the following result:
President, Mrs. A Woodard; 1st Vice-president, Mrs. A. Shultz; 2d
Vice-president, Mrs. R. Carver; Secretary, Miss F. M. Blood; Treasurer, Mrs.
George Burdick; Executive Committee, Mrs. John Fenton, Miss Delhi Overhiser,
Miss Mary Gilbert, Miss Lydia Nichols, Mrs. D. Monroe; Finance Committee,
Mrs. O. M. Heath, Mrs. George Sloat, Mrs. William Gilbert, Mrs. Warren
Gilbert. This society was reorganized in 1882, and is in successful
A Good Templars Lodge was organized in February, 1881,
with the following officers: P. W. O. T., Frank Weaver; W. C. P.W. W. P.
Smith; chaplain, Rev. S. Steele; W. S., Mrs. J. Wardell; W. M., D. B.
Monroe; I. G., T. Driscal.
In June, 1882, Rev. E. H. Day, of
Cadillac, delivered a temperance lecture at the M. E. Church and organized a
society called the "Alliance," with the following officers and members: W.
P. Smith, president; George S. Sloat, vice-president; Charles E. Cooper,
secretary; J. F. Henderson, treasurer, Henry Eagle, Frank Weaver, W.P.
Smith, J.F. Henderson, George S. Sloat, C. M. Bumps, Ed. Kent, Charles E.
Cooper, J. C. Bostick, W. Schryer, C. B. Bailey, George Varion, J> L. Cross,
L. Hawkins, Ezekiel Wood.
Rising Star Lodge, No. 99, A.O. of U. W.,
was organized at the Masonic rooms in May, 1881, with the following
officers: P.M.W., Frank Weaver; M. W., Rinaldo Fuller; F., Charles E.
Cooper; O., A. Woodward' Rec., W. C. Haire; Fin., D. S. Talpin; R., E. Ball;
G., William Foote; I. W., Frank Horn's; O. W., Thomas Hall.
was maintained for some time, but is not now in operation.
February, 1882 at a meeting called to take the necessary steps to organize a
Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, Frank Weaver was elected chairman
and H. C. McFarlan secretary. Moved and supported that the chair appoint a
committee on correspondence. Carried.
Chair appointed as such
committee, George Moore, Abram Woodward and T. J. Thorp.
1882, the Post was mustered in and designated the O.P. Morton Post, G.A.R.
A lively interest has been manifested in the prosperity of this society, and
it now numbers fifty members. At the last annual election the following
officers were elected for the year 1881: Commander, A. Woodward; Sen. Vice
Com., E. W. Closson; Jun. Vice Com., H. S. Huson; Quartermaster, C. A. Lamb;
Surgeon, J. L. Duston; O. D., George S. Moore; O. G., William W. Lewis;
Delegates tp Department Encampment H. C. McFarlan; alternate, E. W. Closson.
The Odd Fellows Lodge at Manton was organized March 23, 1882, with six
charter members. Twelve new members were initiated the first night of
meeting. O. H. Fisher was the first N. G. There are at present forty-eight
members. The officers in 1884 are as follows: N. G., F. A. Jewel; V. G.,
Frank Rose; P. S., J. C. Bostwick; Treas., Cyrus Hoffman.
The Manton Tribune was established in October, 1870, by Marshall
McLure, but remained only a short time under his control. It then passed
into the hands of A. J. Teed, and soon afterward became the property of E.
C. Cooper. In September, 1888 it passed into the hands of H. F. Campbell.
The publishers have ben the editors. It was a five-column folio at the start
and enlarged to six columns when Mr. Cooper purchased the office.
F. Campbell, postmaster and editor of the Manton Tribune was born
in Quincy, Mich., Dec. 22, 1852. Moved with his parents, in 1861, to Grand
Ledge, Mich., where he learned the printers trade. Worked at that business
there till the summer of 1876, when he came to Wexford County and located at
Sherman and engaged as journeyman on the Sherman Pioneer. In 1877
became owner of that paper, and also received the appointment of postmaster
at Sherman, which he held until his retirement from the Pioneer in
1880. He then came to Manton and engaged with the firm of Closson Gilbert as
bookkeepers and deputy postmaster. In June 1882, engaged in drug
business, which he sold out to J. G. Bostick & Co., in December 1888.
Received the appointment of postmaster at Manton in February, 1888, and
became proprietor of the Manton Tribune in December, 1888. Was
township clerk and treasurer one year each at Sherman. Married June 8, 1880,
to Lizzie Cummings, of Conneaut, Ohio. They have one daughter.
THE COMMERCIAL HOTEL,
Wexford County, Mich., was built in 1888, by O. H. Fisher, is a large and
well kept house, and can accommodate fifty guests. It is located near the
railroad depot. Mr. Fisher was born in St. Joseph County, Mich., in 1819. He
remained at home till the age of fifteen years. He then went to learn the
carriage and wagon maker trade. Carried on business ten years at Marcellus,
Cass County, Mich., and worked at this trade in several different states.
Traveled in California and Oregon considerably. Came to Manton in 1882.
Married in 1878 to Augusta Margenthaler, of Van Buren County, Mich. They
have two daughters.
Manton, in 1884, presents a thrifty appearance,
and is growing rapidly. Public improvements are being made and there is
every reason to expect that its prosperity will be continued. As the
community has increased local interests have sprung up and been maintained.
There is a flourishing Congregational Church Society, beside the Methodist
Episcopal, already mentioned; and some other religious denominations have a
foothold. The location of the village is very desirable and the surrounding
country well adapted to agriculture and Fruit growing.
agent Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad Company at Manton, Wexford County,
makes the following announcement:
"Home seekers, attention. The rapid
development of Northwestern Michigan, its splendid population, magnificent
forests and productive soil have attracted hundreds of Michigan's best
farmers, who, if they have not changed locations themselves, have secured
for their boys a farm, and the verdict is, unequaled farming lands. Wexford
and Missaukee Counties have a large proportion of that class of settlers.
The G. R. & I. R. R. Co. have still unsold thousands of acres of splendid
timbered land in these counties, in close proximity to settlements having
churches and schools, offering all the advantages of many more populous
counties. Price of land, generally, eight dollars per acre. The terms upon
which the land is sold offer splendid advantages to men of moderate means,
one-quarter down, balance in Five years, in yearly payments, with interest
at seven per cent. To enable strangers to examine speedily and
intelligently, I will gladly take any one desiring to purchase to lands in
the above counties and let them give them a thorough personal examination,
without expense to the examiner. Having maps, charts, pamphlets, etc., will
be pleased to give any information desired respecting lands in this
H. C. McFarlan, merchant, Manton, came to
Manton in 1874, built a store and commenced business, carrying a stock of
dry goods, groceries, hardware, boots and shoe, crockery, hats and caps, and
agricultural implements; still carries on an extensive business; was born in
Wayne County, Mich., in 1848; remained in that county till 1862, when he
enlisted in the Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry; soon after that time was
discharged and enlisted in the Sixth Michigan Infantry and served till the
close of the war in the Army of the Southwest; was at New Orleans, Baton
Rouge and other battles. After being mustered out of service, he returned to
Wayne County, Mich., followed the lakes as a sailor six years; came to
Manton in 1874; married in 1875 to May Doyle, a native of Maine. They have
one living child, have lost two.
Rinaldo Fuller, druggist, Manton, came to
Manton in 1880 and bought a store, and now keeps a general stock of drugs,
chemicals, perfumery and school books; was born in Canada in 1841; came to
Ontonagon, Upper Peninsula, Mich., in 1864; was there engaged in mining till
1865, when he went to Onondaga, Ingham County, Mich. and was a farmer two
years, then went to Kansas and remained two and one-half years, then
returned to Onondaga, Ingham County, and started the drug business, which he
carried on till he came to Manton in 1880; is now serving his third term as
president of the village, second term as township treasurer; has been
superintendent of schools two years, treasurer and director of school
district several years, owns a farm joining the village corporation which
his is improving; is breeding Jersey cattle; married in 1865 to Addie G.
Abbey, of Ingham County, Mich., who died in 1874. They had one son and two
daughters. Second marriage in 1878 to Ada C. Ryan, of Ingham County, Mich.
They have two children.
J. B. Martin, physician, Manton, was born in
Scranton, Penn., in 1855; came to St. Joseph Country, Mich., with his
parents in 1860, where he was brought up; was educated at Mendon, Mich., and
graduated at the State University at Ann Arbor, in June, 1881, and soon
after to Manton and commenced the practice of his profession; has been
health officer of the village since, also village clerk for three years past
and township clerk for a year past; married in November, 1882, to Mattie
Shepard of Mendon.
W. P. Smith, law, loan, real estate and insurance,
Manton, was born in Ostego, Allegan County, Mich., in 1842 was engaged in
farming and running a grist-mill till 1801. when he enlisted in the
Thirteenth Michigan Infantry and served three years in the Army of the
Cumberland' was at the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, and battles, and was
wounded at Stone River. When discharged from service returned to his old
home in Allegan County, Mich., where he remained till 1875, when he came to
Manton and opened as store, where he kept a stock of dry goods, groceries,
flour, feed, etc. He finally sold out and commenced his present business.
Married in 1865 to Mary J. Wood, of Vermont. They had six children,
lost three from scarlet fever within four weeks time in 1883, have three
C. A. Lamb, insurance agent, Manton, was born in
New York, March 25, 1820; moved to Way County, Mich., with his parents in
1880; lived in that county till the age of fifteen years. They moved to
Eaton County, Mich., thence to Barry County; lived in that county till 1851,
when he went to Indiana and carried on shoemaking till October, 1801, when
he enlisted in the Forty-sixth Indiana Infantry, and served with his
regiment till the siege of Vicksburg, when he was discharged for disability;
came to Manton in 1870, where he is engaged in the insurance business;
married in 1800 to Ann M. Steele. They have one son and two daughters.
James M. Brown, farmer, Cedar Creek, Wexford
County, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1825; moved with his
parents to Pennsylvania in 1835, and in 1841 he went to James town, Ottawa
County, Mich., before that township was organized; helped to clear up that
part of the county, and remained there engaged in farming until 1864, when
he moved to Byron, Kent County, and kept a hotel five years, then went into
the mercantile business in the same township, which he carried on till 1873.
He then came to Manton and kept a hotel three years, also worked at
carpenter work and farming; bought the farm he now lives on in 1874 on
Section 8, but lived in Manton till 1882, when he moved to his farm; has ben
justice of the peace four years, highway commissioner one year, and
superintendent of county poor three years; married in 1849 to Diantha L.
Ball, of Calhoun County, Michigan. They have two married daughters.
F. A. Jenison, merchant, Manton, came to Manton
in the fall of 1877, and commenced selling groceries; now owns a large store
and carries a heavy stock of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, hats and
caps; was born in 184 in Ottawa County, Mich.; remained in that county till
he came to Manton; has been treasurer of the village for three years past,
also a member of the village council three years; married in 1865 to Martha
Pelton of Canada. They have one daughter.
C. M. Bumps was born in Maine in 1850, was
graduated at the Commercial College of Bangor, Me.; went to Chicago in 1871,
and thence to Iowa and Wisconsin, returning in the fall to Chicago, where he
lost his trunk and all his clothes in the great fire; went thence to Shelby,
Mich., bought a half interest in a saw-mill at Chrystal Lake, Oceana County,
and ran it for four years. Went to Manistee in 1880, and was engaged in
sawing clapboards; remained there two years and then came to Manton, and in
company with John Henderson built the mill now owned by Bumps & Dunston;
married in 1880 to Irena Henderson, a native of Indiana. They have an
Dr. J. L. Dunston was born in Ohio in 1840.
In 1842 his parents moved to Monroe County, Mich. He was educated in
Michigan. Received a medical education at Nashville, Tenn. Commenced the
practice of medicine in 1870. Came to Manton in 1878 and continued practice.
In April, 1882, bought an interest in Bumps & Henderson's mill, forming the
present firm of Bumps & Dunston. He was married in 166 to Julia A.
McLachllin of New York. They have two children.
C. B. Bailey, merchant, Manton, Wexford County,
was born in Onondaga County, N.Y., in 1847. In 1866 he went to Illinois
where he remained one one year, then went to Missouri. Traveled in different
states and engaged in dry goods business in Kansas where he remained two
years. In 1881 he came to Manton and bought his present business. Carries a
complete stock of groceries, dry goods, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and
notions. Adjoining the store, Mrs. Bailey has a full stock of millinery and
ladies' furnishing goods. Mr. Bailey was married in 1876 to Carrie J.
Baldwin, of Oswego County, N. Y. They have one child.
Edward M. Chase, of the firm of Edward M.
Chase & Co., jewelers and opticians, Manton, Wexford County, was born in
Wyoming County, N. Y., in 1849. In 1857 he came with his parents to
Hillsdale County, Mich. where he learned the trade of jeweler and match
maker, following the business there until 1877, when he came to Manton. In
1870 the present business was established. In addition to the usual business
and stock of such an establishment the firm deals in telescopes, marine
glasses, etc. and are agents for the Grover & Baker, and the Union sewing
machines. They also do plating. Have also a shooting gallery in connection
with their store, which is located on West Depot Street. Mr. Chase was
married in 1878 to Lenora M. Randall, of Hillsdale County, Mich. They have
John Benson, saloon keeper, Manton, Wexford
County, was born in Sweden in 1844. Came to Manton June 1, 1878. Worked in
the mills and logging camps, until the fall of 1877 when he engaged in his
present business. He also owns a farm of two hundred acres two miles from
Manton. Married Dec. 9, 1881, to Mary Brink, a native of Sweden. Have have
lost two children.
George S. Sloat, blacksmith and wagon maker,
Manton, Wexford County, was born in Jefferson County, N.Y., in 1839. Learned
his trade and worked it there until 1874. February 4, of that year he came
to Manton and started the first blacksmith shop in the place. Carries on a
general blacksmithing and wagon making and repairing business. Also sells
the Bellnap wagon manufactured at Grand Rapids. He was town supervisor one
year, town treasurer three years, county postmaster four years, school
directpr several years. Married in 1866 to Amelia C. Harger of Jefferson
County, N.Y. They have three daughters.
Martin Babcock, proprietor of livery stable,
Manton, Wexford County, was born in Canada in 1821. In boyhood moved to
Detroit, Mich., with his parents. Remained there two years and went to Ann
Arbor, where he lived until 1839. Removed then to Kalamazoo. He was
brought up a farmer. Came to Missaukee County in June 1875, and bought a
farm on which he lived until 1880 when he came to Manton and started the
livery business which he now carries on. The business firm is Willey &
Babcock. Married in 1845 to Jane Mulholland of Canada, who died in 1848
leaving a son and daughter. His second marriage was in 1851 to a sister of
his first wife. They had six children. She died in 1872.
Frank Rose, dealer in hardware, tinware, crockery,
and general household furnishing goods, Manton, Wexford County, was born in
Caledonia, N.Y., April 28, 1850. When he was two years old, his parents
moved to Hillsdale County, Mich., where he lived until about twenty-two
years of age. Learned the trade of tinsmith at Hudson. Lenawee County,
and worked at it there until he came to Manton in the fall of 1877. Here he
was employed in the general store of H. C. McFarlan as clerk and tinner.
May 2, 1881, started his present business under the firm name of Woodward &
Rose. Subsequently bought out his partner and has since continued the
business alone. Was a member of the village council in 1888 and is now
village assessor and chief engineer of the fire department. Was married in
March, 1876, to Fidelia White, a native of Lenawee County, Mich.
A. Woodward, furniture dealer, Manton, came to
Manton and established business May 4, 1875, also for seven years kep a
general stock of dry goods, groceries, and boots and shoes in connection
with his furniture trade. Sold out his business except his furniture in
1882. He was born in Ontario County, N.Y., in 1841, moved to Ashtabula,
Ohio, with his parents in 1852, and to Ottawa County, Mich. in 1861.
Enlisted in the Third Michigan Infantry in April, 1861. Left the state for
the front June 10, and joined the Army of the Potomac and served through the
war and was in thirty-two general engagements. Wounded at Spotsylvania May
12, 1864. Returned to his regiment and served till July, 1865. Married in
October, 1865, to Annie E. Littlefield, of Michigan. They have three
William Vallier, blacksmith, of Manton,
Wexford County, was born in England Oct. 10, 1883. Is of French ancestry.
Learned his trade in London. Came to America in 1851 and settled in Canada,
working at his trade there. Resided in Van Buren County, Mich., about six
years. Near the commencement of the war returned to Canada. Came to Manton
in 1876 from Allegan County, Mich., where he had resided seven or eight
years. Most of the time he has had a shop in Manton, residing part of the
time at Point St. Ignace.