Aitkin County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Local People

H. G. W. Austin
Source: The Aitkin Age (Aitkin, MN), November 24, 1888, page 10; submitted by Robin Line
I will sell my house and lot near the Catholic church, with or without furniture. A bargain, half cash. House has six rooms and kitchen cellar under. H. G. W. AUSTIN.

R. C. Burnett
Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Thursday, February 11, 1909; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Superintendent of Schools for Last Three Years, Decides to Go Into the Land Business.
Prof. R. C. Burnett, who for the past three years has been superintendent of schools in this city, has handed his resignation to the school board to take effect when the present school year is ended. Mr. Burnett has decided to enter the real estate and land business at Hill City, Minn., a small town near Grand Rapids. The resignation comes as somewhat of a surprise to the people of the city, who will regret to see Prof. Burnett leave. The salary of superintendent is $1,700 and has been advanced several times during his tenure of office. During Mr. Burnett's three years and the head of the local schools their efficiency has been greatly increased and the high school is now second to none in this part of the state.

C. P. DeLaittre
Source: The Aitkin Independent Age (MN) September 21, 1912, page 5; submitted by Robin Line
C. P. DeLaittre on Thursday last received the news of the death at Minneapolis of his cousin, John DeLaittre. Mr. DeLaittre was a member of the old firm of lumberman, Eastman, Bovey & Co., which afterwards became the Bovey-DeLaittre Lumber Co., and was a prominent citizen of Minneapolis, having been mayor of the city, and a representative in the legislature. He was well known in Aitkin.

Mrs. Joseph Diven
Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Tuesday, December 21, 1909; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Mrs. Joseph Diven has arrived from Hill City, Minn., to spend the holidays with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. James Busse. Mr. Diven will arrive in the city Friday.

Curtis Dotseth, Jr.
Source: Source: The Minneapolis Star, October/November 1965. Transcribed by the Alberti's.
Young Suspect Hears of Dad's Death, Gives Up
Special to the Minneapolis Star
AITKIN, Minn. - An 18-year-old Plymouth youth, one of four teen-agers sought in connection with the theft of several cars, surrendered to Aitkin County authorities Friday after learning his father was killed in a car accident.

Curtis Dotseth Jr., came out of the woods where he had been hiding and surrendered about midnight. Several hours earlier he had telephoned his home, 4710 Zachary Lane, Plymouth, and was told by his mother that his father was killed when his car went off Hwy. 65. The father was en route to Aitkin to talk to authorities about his son.

The younger Dotseth and three 15-year-olds, including one girl, were found in a backwoods house near Aitkin Thursday after a suspicious motorist who gave a ride to one of the youth's notified authorities, Sheriff Fred Erlandson and a deputy found the four youths there, with four stolen cars. All four of the teenagers were being held in the Aitkin County jail early today.

Dorothy Eiler
[Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 8, 1932, page 7; submitted by Robin Line]
Minnesota Girl Wins Health Honors.
Chicago-Dorothy Eiler, 16, high school junior of Hill City, Minn., and Ross Allen, 20, basketball player at Salem college in his home town of Salem, W. V., were selected as the healthiest girl and boy representing 950,000 4-H contestants, all youngsters from farms or small towns. Miss Eiler recently won the Minnesota championship in bread-making. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Eiler, live on a farm near Hill City.

John S. Elmhurst
Source: The Pioneer (Bemidji, MN) Sept. 16, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
St. Paul, Minn. - How the life of a lone settler lying helpless in his cabin from paralysis was saved by a state forest ranger, is told in a brief note received by W. T. Cox, state forester, from John S. Elmhurst, ranger, stationed at Palisade, Minn. Elmhurst was covering his "beat" in the north woods last Saturday, he says, and about 12 miles north of Palisade he happened upon the cabin of the lone homesteader who was lying in a helpless condition and who would have died in a few hours but for the chance aid of the ranger. He had been in that condition for some time, no one knowing for how long. He was taken to the hospital at Aitkin. The man so providentially rescued was unable even to voice his thanks but his eyes spoke eloquently of his gratitude.

Ethel Forman
Source: The Aitkin Independent (Aitkin, MN), January 6, 1912, page 7; submitted by Robin Line
Miss Ethel Forman, for several years connected with the local telephone exchange as operator, and more recently an bookkeeper, resigned her position last Saturday and on Thursday morning left for Cloquet to visit her aunt, Mrs. Otis Smith. By her uniform good nature and courtesy as "central," Miss Forman has won for herself a host of friends who will regret her leaving us, but who will likewise wish her Godspeed and an abundance of happiness when they learn that she is soon to become a bride.

John Garrity, Jr.
Source: The Daily Messenger (Canandaigua, NY) December 29, 1936
McGrath, Minn.-The rat that four months figuratively got under his skin literally got next to it before John Garrity, Jr., caught the rodent. Garrity vainly used traps and poison baits to catch the rat in his store. Then he flushed it while in the basement. It ran up his pants leg, burrowed under his shirt and lodged on his back. Friends came to Garrity's assistance, belaboring him with boards. One blow connected and the rat hunt was over.

Harold Glave
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, June 26, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

McGRATH, Minn.-Harold Glave and Miss Selma Zeismer attended a dance at White Pine Saturday night.

Ralph Greenfield
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Friday, May 20, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Ralph Greenfield, the commercial photographer, Board of Trade building, will leave this morning for Hill City, Minn., on a combined business and pleasure trip. Mr. Greenfield expects to return to the city either next Monday or Tuesday.

W. C. Harbach
Source: The Des Moines Register (IA) December 28, 1919; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
The home of William C. Harbach was the scene of a happy Christmas day party when Mrs. Mary C. Latta and her brother entertained a number of relatives and friends at dinner and for tea.

The dinner was served by candle light, the dining room being most attractive with its Christmas greens, holly and mistletoe and the candle-lit tree laden with gifts for all.

The hostess' son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Latta of Indianola, were home for the celebration, in which participated Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Harbach and son, Leonard and Edwin; Mrs. Kirkwood Jewett and son, Kirkwood; Mr. and Mrs. John A. Elliott and children, Jeannette and Harry; Mrs. C. W. Mennig and Miss Helen Mennig; Dr. Fred Bradner, Lieut. William Colman, Mr. and Mrs. Nathan E. Coffin, Mr. Harbash and daughters, Mary, Louise and Adelaide.

In the late afternoon the party was joined by Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Buhler of McGrath, Minn., who are in the city for a holiday visit with the latter's mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Ives.

Harpster Brothers
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN), Friday, December 16, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

HILL CITY, Minn., Dec. 15.-Harpster brothers have erected camps on the east side of Hill lake, and have adjusted their sawmill for the winter's cut.

B. M. Hungerford
Source: The Aitkin Independent Age (MN) September 21, 1912, page 5; submitted by Robin Line
B. M. Hungerford received a telegram last Monday morning announcing the death of a sister in a sanitarium on the shores of Georgian Bay in Ontario. The telegram followed only a few hours a letter stating she was critically ill.

Mrs. J. Jacobson
Source: The Aitkin Independent Age (MN) September 21, 1912, page 5; submitted by Robin Line
Mrs. J. Jacobson, of Ryegate, Mont., arrived here last Thursday morning, and is registered at the Foley hotel. Mrs. Jacobson is here to close the deal for the Ben Olson place which she and her husband bought last year, and it is their intention to move onto the place next April.

Charles Kaiser
MARCH 1909. Source: Evening Times (Grand Forks, ND) Tuesday, March 23, 1909; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Charles Kaiser and Joseph Diven were passengers last evening to Hill City, Minn., to look after business interests.

APRIL 1909. Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Thursday, April 1, 1909; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Disposes of His Interest in the Grocery Business and Will Move to Hill City.

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kaiser will regret to learn that the city is to lose them as residents in the near future. Mr. Kaiser yesterday disposed of his interests in the firm of Kaiser & Brown to his partner and expects to leave in about two weeks for hill City, Minn., where he will engage in the hardware business. He will retain his interest in the Star Laundry, and he also owns a valuable farm near the city, so that he will be an occasional visitor in East Grand Forks. Mr. Kaiser has been very successful in business here and has won a host of friends by his integrity in business dealings and his broad gauged and public spirited career. Mr. Kaiser thinks there is a good opening at Hill City, and is very much pleased with the place.

JULY 1909. Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Thursday, July 29, 1909; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Charles Kaiser was an arrival in the city yesterday from Hill City, Minn. Mr. Kaiser has nothing but praise for the booming little town in the Iron Range district. He is here looking after his farming interests.

DECEMBER 1910. Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Tuesday, December 13, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

While drilling a Well Deposit Is Encountered But Extent Has Not Been Ascertained.
(News Tribune Special.)
HILL CITY, Minn., Dec. 12.-Well diggers engaged in putting down a well for Charles F. Kaiser near his new residence in the north part of town, struck a deposit of iron ore. It is not known whether it is merely a pocket or a more extensive bed.

Tom Kolli - [Kollis?]
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, June 26, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

McGRATH, Minn.-Tom Kolli, the section foreman, had is little finger broken while playing ball at White Pine, Sunday.
Related Item:
The McGrath baseball team traveled to White Pine Sunday and defeated the team there in a 10-inning game, 7 to 6. A large delegation went from here. The team expects to play at Finlayson Sunday.

Ernest Kufahl

Source: The Capital Times (Madison WI) September 26, 1923; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

ELKHORN, Wis.-Fear that she might lose the love of Ernest Kufahl, whom she imagined did not like her four fatherless children, was believed - Tuesday night by authorities - to have caused Mrs. Myrtle Schaude to feed the children poisoned candy last Saturday. The woman has confessed that she poisoned her husband two years ago and that she attempted to kill her children. She is held in the jail here on a charge of attempted murder.

Kufahl, a farmer boarded at the Schaude home at his home in McGrath, Minn., Tuesday night told of his romance with Mrs. Schaude. They were to have been married shortly, he said. Mrs. Schaude, he said and one of her children, had at one time visited the home which would have been theirs in the event that Mrs. Schaude and he were married. Kufahl said that he had become strongly attached to the three children.

Mrs. Arnold Kufahl, aunt of Kufahl, Tuesday night said that her sister, Kufahl's mother had told her that her son intended to marry the woman shortly.

The woman was arraigned secretly Monday night in this jail here. The woman, it is said, wanted to plead guilty to the charges, but due to her hysterical condition, Justice C. A. Lyon, who presided, would not permit her to, and entered a plea of not guilty for her. No date was set for her appearance in open court.

(By the Associated Press.)
McGrath, Minn.-Greatly shocked by accounts telling of the arrest of Mrs. Myrtle Schaude, on charges of attempting to poison her four children, Ernest Kafahl living at the Silver Star, U. S. veterans bureau settlement, near here, today awaited a letter from Mrs. Schaude which he hoped would throw some light on the case. Kafahl formerly lived at the Schaude home at Whitewater, when he was a trainee and after the death of Mrs. Schaude's husband became a suitor. Kafahl said he had expected to marry Mrs. Schaude soon. She recently visited him at McGrath, and they talked over plans for their new home here. He declared he could think of no reason why Mrs. Schaude should attempt to poison her children. She always had been a good mother he said.

Source: Oshkosh Daily Northwestern (WI) September 28, 1923; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Young Ex-Soldier Admits That He and Mrs. Schaude Had Planned to Be Married Next Spring, but Denies Knowledge of Poison Act.

(By Associated Press.)
Janesville, Wis.-Ernest Kufahl was placed in custody at Elkhorn after being questioned by Disgtrict Attorney Godfrey and is held as a material witness in the Schaude poisoning case. No formal charge has been placed against him.

(By United Press.)
Elkhorn, Wis.-Ernest Kufahl, young ex-soldier with whom Mrs. Myrtle Schaude, Walworth county's poison woman was infatuated, was lodged in the county jail here at 1 o'clock this morning after being quizzed for twelve solid hours in the office of Dist. Atty. A. L.. Godfrey.

No charge had been preferred against him at an early hour this morning.

Kufahl returned to Walworth county at noon Thursday, on his way to Elkhorn he stopped at the Whitewater home of Mrs. Schaude and asked to see the four children whom the woman confessed she attempted to kill by poisoning.

Kufahl went to the district attorney's office at 12:30 o'clock Thursday. He remained closeted with Godfrey and Court Commissioner Jay Page until 12:30 o'clock Friday morning when he was taken to the jail by Sheriff Wylie. He pleaded with officials to be allowed to see Mrs. Schaude.

Officials present at the quiz say Kufahl admitted he and Mrs. Schaude planned to be married next spring. He denied any knowledge of Mrs. Schaude's confessed action in administering poison to her husband and he said he had given the woman no reason for believing her children would be a barrier to their marriage.

He admitted writing the young widow, however, that she should give the children more consideration and advised her they would have a better chance for education and comforts of she kept them in Whitewater instead of bringing them to the little farm which Kufahl is pioneering near McGrath, Minn.

Kufahl returned to Walworth county voluntarily. While he was on his way to Elkhorn, Deputy Sheriff Wilham Cusack was enroute to McGrath to question Kufahl and obtain his consent to return if possible.

Source: The Republic (Columbus, IN) November 5, 1923; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
NEA Service Writer.
Whitewater, Wis.-No man, not even her husband, ever paid flattering attention to Myrtle Schaude before Ernest Kufahl came to room at her home.

THe lines, perhaps, furnish the explanatory background and motivation for the incredible mystery tragedy resulting in the woman being held on charges of giving a deadly sleeping draught to her husband and attempting to poison her four children.

Characters in the drama:

Mrs. Schaude, 36, pretty, capable, ardent, suppressed.

Edward Schaude, 52, hard working, conscientious, phlegmatic.

Kufahl, 29, prim and restrained.

And the children - Ralph, 16; Delbert, 12; Mae, 9; Lawrence, 5; all well-behaved and well-liked, helpless police say in woeful innocence.

In her cell in the county jail at Elkhorn, Mrs. Schaude constantly is pleading to see her babies.

"I can't bear the thought of being sent away from my children," she wails again and again.

Yet, according to the authorities, if she had not faltered some weeks ago in sacrificing them, the children now would be in the cemetery beside their father.

This, the police declare, is the story they've pieced together bit by bit.

For eighteen years Mrs. Schaude drudged through her married life. Her neighbors regarded her as a model mother and a stand-by in her church. On the farm, she helped her husband in the fields.

When the family moved to town, she began keeping boarders. Kufahl came to room at her house. He volunteered to help Mrs. Schaude wash the dishes and tidy the house.

In the spring, Schaude became ill. His wife was exhausted from nursing him, so Kufahl offered to take her place at night. Kufahl, according to Mrs. Schaude's purported statement, agreed to mix a drink that would quiet the patient. Mrs. Schaude objected. But she says Kufahl insisted he knew what he was doing and she believed him.

She placed the glass beside the bed. During the night Schaude drank and died.

Kufahl threatened her with a similar fate. Mrs. Schaude maintains, if she should breath the secret.

Last summer, dressed in her widow's black, Mrs. Schaude visited Kufahl on a farm near McGrath, Minn. They talked of marriage, she says, but he objected that she could not take the children with her.

On a September evening she borrowed a neighbor's automobile and took the children for a ride. Before reaching a sharp turn in the road, she produced a bag of candy. Strychnine had been placed in advance in each chocolate drop. Ralph the driver, would be stricken first, and the car would plunge over an embankment. The deaths would appear accidental.

But mother love conquered over clandestine infatuation. Mrs. Schaude's heart fluttered warningly as her offspring tasted.

"Spit them out," she screamed, "they'll poison you."

And with her won fingers, she removed a sticky wad from baby Lawrence's mouth.

Ralph refused to be scared. He swallowed his candy. But the mother rushed all back to town and called a physician. Ralph took sick, but recovered.

District Attorney Alfred L. Godfrey stepped into the case and began asking questions. Twenty-four hours later she made a clean breast of it all, Godfrey declares.

Kufahl, also in Elkhorn jail, laboriously denies Mrs. Schaude's incriminating statements. And of her he will not talk.

"I am not going to injure her," he tells all interviewers. "When this is all over and she gets back to her senses, I don't want any words of mine to affect her feelings for me."

Mrs. Schaude testified the same thing took place at Chicago and at McGrath, Minn.

Source: The Capital Times (Madison WI) January 2, 1924; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
War Vet Acquitted In Whitewater Widow to Face Trial

Elkhorn, Wis. - Ernest Kufahl, Watertown World War Veteran, was found not guilty of complicity in the poison death of Edward Schaude of Whitewater, by a jury in circuit court here late yesterday. The jurors were out 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Four ballots were taken by the jurors before the verdict was reached. At no time were more than three members of the jury in favor of conviction, it was learned.

The crowds in the court room burst into applause when the verdict was read by John McFarland of Delevan, the foreman of the jury. Kufahl immediate became the center of a joyous demonstration.

"I'm too happy to say anything, I was confident it would be like this," was all Kufahl could say to reporters.

Mrs. Schaude of Whitewater, widow of the dead man and principal witness against Kufahl in the trial which closed yesterday will go on trial on Wednesday on a charge of first degree murder in connection with the death of Mr. Schaude.

Mrs. Schaude had charged that Kufahl had mixed prune juice with strychnine which had been given her husband.

Source: Manitowaoc Herald-Times (WI) February 28, 1924; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
[Associated Press Leased Wire]
JANESVILLE, Feb. 27-Mrs. Myrtle Schaude, Whitewater left Elkhorn at 1 oclock yesterday afternoon for Waupun where she entered the state prison to serve a 20 year sentence for the poisoning of her husband Edward J. Schaude and the attempt on the lives of her four children. Mrs. Schaude, who was sentenced a week ago in the Walworth county circuit court by Judge E. B. Belden upon her plea of guilty of first degree manslaughter and four charges of attempted murder, was accompanied by Sheriff and Mrs. Hal Wylie.

Mrs. Schaude says she "goes to pay a debt while the really guilty criminal goes free."

The reference is to Ernst Kufahl her lover, who was acquitted on a murder charge.

Herman Landy
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, June 26, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

McGRATH, Minn.-Herman Landy, who has been attending school in Minneapolis, arrived in McGrath for a visit with his father.

J. A. Landy
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, June 26, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

McGRATH, Minn.-J. A. Landy who has been traveling in the west and visited the world's fair, returned home the first of the week.

Fred Lembke
Source: The Aitkin Independent (Aitkin, MN), January 6, 1912, page 7; submitted by Robin Line
Fred Lembke came down from Wilkinson, Minn., last Wednesday to close a deal for the sale of his farm on the north side of the Mississippi river (the old Kathan place) to Capt. C. D. Viebahn. The term is a tract of 120 acres, and the consideration is about $30 per acre.

Lawrence Moen
Source: Aitkin Independent Age (Aitkin, MN), January 7, 1922, page 4; submitted by Robin Line
Lawrence Moen, who was an Aitkin high school student here several years ago, has been in advertising work for some time and announcement has been received by Aitkin friends of his connection with the Babson financial report publishers, Wellesley Hills, Mass. He will be with the motions picture end of the business.

Martin Otterson
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, June 26, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

McGRATH, Minn.-Martin Otterson expects soon to leave for North Dakota where he will run an engine for his brother-in-law during the threshing season.

W. V. Putney
Source: The Aitkin Independent (Aitkin, MN), January 6, 1912, page 7; submitted by Robin Line
W. V. Puntney returned last Monday from Cresco, Iowa, where he had been summoned by the serious illness of his father. Although 94 years of age the old gentleman recovered from an attack of pneumonia, showing wonderful vitality. Mr. Puntney found the weather there very much as it is here.

F. E. Sprout
- Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (ND) Tuesday, March 15, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
WAS ONE OF PROMOTERS - F. E. Sprout of Hill City, Minn., is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Odell of the Zuelsdorf & Co. store. Mr. Sprout is one of the promoters of the new railroad which runs from Swan River to Hill City and which was recently sold to Armour & Co. of Chicago.

- Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (ND) Friday, March 18, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Mr. F. E. Sprout of Hill City, Minn., formerly superintendent of schools in Minnesota was in town on business last Monday and paid the high school a visit.

William H. Taylor
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Saturday, December 31, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Representative Miller today recommended the appointment of William H. Taylor to be postmaster at Hill City, Minn., to succeed Fred B. Smith, deceased.

JOshua A. Tibbetts
Source: The Aitkin Age (Aitkin, MN), November 24, 1888, page 10; submitted by Robin Line
I will have a cattle sale here at my ranch, commencing November 15 and continuing to December 15. Three, four and five year old steers, cows and heifers, suitable for beef, milk or work. JOSHUA A. TIBBETTS.

Aitkin County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails