Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 41; transcribed by FoFG mz
Beatty, James, pioneer, b. in Fairfield county, Ohio, April 27, 1816; d. in Sauk Rapids, Jan. 1892. He came to Minnesota in 1848; conducted trading posts with the Indians at Sauk Rapids, and in Anoka and Blue Earth counties; was a merchant in Hennepin county, 1860-9; and afterward engaged in the hotel business at Sauk Rapids. He was a representative in the territorial legislature, 1852 and 1855.
Alfonse John Demules
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 172; transcribed by FoFG mz
Demules, Alfonse John, merchant, b. in St. Paul, Feb. 28, 1854; d. in Mankato, Minn., April 15, 1901. After 1875 he engaged in mercantile business at Sauk Rapids; removed to Mankato in 1900.
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos
HALL Mathew, St Cloud. Lumber. Born Aug 27, 1863 in Baden Germany, son of Dionis and Cecelia (Kormmel) Hall. Marreid Oct 11, 1892 to Anna Volz. Educated in common schools of Germany. Came to Minn and engaged in lumbering in Benton County 1882-89; in lumber business St Cloud 1889 to date.
Thomas Andrew Holmes
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 340; transcribed by FoFG mz
Holmes, Thomas Andrew, b. in Bergerstown, Pa., March 4, 1804; d. in Culman, Ala., July 2, 1888. He established an Indian trading post in 1839 at Fountain City, and in 1849 removed to Sauk Rapids; was a member of the first territorial legislature; founded the towns of Shakopee and Chaska in 1851.
William R. Kahlow
Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin
WILLIAM R. KAHLOW owns a fine estate adjoining the town of Alma, Okanogan county. In addition to general farming and stock raising, he operates a good hotel and feed stable. He is also proprietor of a ferry. He is one of the well known and substantial men of the county and has shown a commendable spirit in his labors for building up the country. William R. Kahlow was born in Prussia, Germany, on September 27, 1838, the son of Frederick and Mary (Richter) Kahlow, both natives of the same place in the Fatherland. On June 21, 1851, they came to Henderson, Sibley county, Minnesota, being among the earliest settlers there. The father and mother were the same age, were married when about twenty, lived together happily until seventy-five and then died on nearly the same date. Our subject was educated in the public schools where he lived in his youthful days, and as soon as he was able, he began working on the rivers. In 1862, he volunteered to fight the Indians and was in the horrible massacre of 1862, during the battle of Birch Coulee, where eighteen were killed and forty-five wounded out of 150 men, or where twenty-four hundred white people were killed, as history gives it. He received a slight wound. For some time after the slaughter he was busy assisting in burying the dead. In 1868 Mr. Kahlow came to San Francisco, having gone via New York, Graytown, in Nicaragua, and Costa Rico, thence crossing the Andes. Later he was in Portland, then went to Alsea, Benton county, Oregon, where he bought a farm, but which he sold later. He now owns four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, all under cultivation, near Pasco, in Franklin county, Washington. In addition to farming, he was engaged on the construction of the Oregon and California railway, and later was contracting on the western part of the Northern Pacific, under the superintendence of H. H. McCartney and later H. W. Fairweather. After this he was in Pasco, and in 1890 he came to his present home place, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres located at the mouth of Salmon creek. It was known as Salmon Jim's ranch, the first Indian ranch in the county. He has his place well irrigated and raises alfalfa and other hay, besides handling stock. His farm is well improved and he has a large eleven room residence, which he utilizes for his hotel building. In October, 1864, Mr. Kahlow married Miss Lois, a daughter of Thomas and Maria (Dickenson) Harvey, now deceased. Mrs. Kahlow was born in St. John, New Brunswick, and four children are the fruit of this marriage: Alma, wife of Captain C. Hanson, of Seattle; William H. Bert, deceased; Ione, wife of Ansel S. Griggs, vice-president of the Columbia & Okanogan Steamboat Company of Wenatchee. Alma was the first postmistress of Okanogan county and from her the town of Alma is named.
J. Kenneth Martin
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
One of the influential citizens of Little Falls, Morrison county, Minnesota, who ranks as one of the city's leading bankers and business men, is J. Kenneth Martin, cashier of the First National Bank of Little Falls, a large landholder in Morrison county, the owner of two business blocks in Little Falls and a man who is heavily interested in various banks throughout Minnesota and other states. He is a man of excellent endowments and upright character and not only has been prominent in the financial and commercial life of the city but has been prominent in public affairs generally. He has stood first and foremost by the material advancement of his home city and has loyally supported at all times every worthy public enterprise.
J. Kenneth Martin is a native of Benton county, Minnesota, and was born on a farm near St. Cloud, October 8, 1871. He is the son of Lycurgus F. and Flora (Knapp) Martin. Lycurgus F. Martin, who died suddenly in September, 1909, at the age of sixty-nine years, was a native of Oxford, Ontario, Canada, born on July 27, 1841. When he was still a young man he immigrated to Wisconsin but soon afterwards settled near St. Cloud, Minnesota, where he worked in a stone quarry for a few years. Later he removed to a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of wild land, southeast of Royalton in Benton county. He cleared this land, put it under cultivation, and lived upon the farm for twelve years, when he removed to Rice, Minnesota, and for a few years operated the hotel. Upon selling the hotel, he removed to Sentinel Butte, Billings county, North Dakota, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. He received the patent on the land and lived upon it for eight years, after which he operated a fruit ranch near Los Angeles, California, for one year. Mr. Martin was preparing to remove permanently to Los Angeles but died suddenly shortly after his return from Los Angeles in 1909. He was a member of the Episcopal church and a prominent Mason. Mrs. Flora (Knapp) Martin was born on a farm in Wisconsin on June 9, 1844. She bore her husband four children, Alfred L., J. Kenneth, Maude E., and Blanche A., who married T. H. Russell.
J. Kenneth Martin was educated in the common schools of Benton county. After finishing his elementary education, took up telegraphy and for a number of years worked for the St. Paul & Duluth railroad, the Soo line and the Northern Pacific railroad. In 1902 he abandoned the telegrapher's key, at which time he had been serving as agent of Royalton, and then came to Little Falls and accepted a position as bookkeeper of the First National Bank of Little Falls. He held this position for two years and was made teller of the bank. He was teller for two years and then was made assistant cashier, in which position he also served for two years. In 1906 Mr. Martin was elected cashier and still holds this position.
The First National Bank is one of the leading financial institutions of Morrison county. Mr. Martin has had no little part in its recent growth. The business of the bank has grown marvelously in the past few years. Not only is the cashier of the First National Bank popular with the other officers and directors of the institution but he is likewise popular with the bank's depositors and with the public generally.
In 1900 J. Kenneth Martin was married to Lottie L. Tanner, a native of Little Falls, Minnesota, born there on May 2, 1874. Mrs. Martin has lived in Little Falls all her life. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have three children, Kenneth T., Herbert L., and Frederick L., all of whom live at home with their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Kenneth Martin are members of the Episcopal church. Mr. Martin is a prominent Mason in Morrison county and a stanch Republican.
Julius Frederic Bernhard Neils
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 539; transcribed by FoFG mz
Neils, Julius Frederic Bernhard, b. in Germany, June 15, 1855; came to the United States when seventeen years old; settled at Sauk Rapids, Minn., in 1886, and has since engaged in the manufacture of lumber.
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 633; transcribed by FoFG mz
Renard, John, b. in Champagne, France, Aug. 12, 1838; came to the United States in 1854; settled on a farm in Benton county, Minn., in 1866; removed t to Sauk Rapids in 1873; was register of deeds, 1873-9, and county auditor, 1879-86.
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 661; transcribed by FoFG mz
Russell, Jeremiah, pioneer, b. in Eaton, N.Y., Feb. 2, 1809; d. June 3, 1885. He came to Fort Snelling, Minn., in 1837, and in 1845 settled near Sauk Rapids, where he took charge of a store for trading with the Indians; was one of the founders of the village of Sauk Rapids in 1854, and removed there in 1857; was a representative in the first territorial legislature. He established a newspaper, the Sauk Rapids Frontierman, in 1855. Afterward he was treasurer of Benton county several years, and county auditor one year.
George W. Sweet
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 761; transcribed by FoFG mz
Sweet, George W., lawyer, b. in Hartford, Conn., Sept. 20, 1823; d. in Havre, Montana, March 14, 1898. He was appointed by President Pierce to be register of the U.S. land office at Sauk Rapids, Minn. Afterward he was attorney for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, and resided in St. Paul. Later he removed to Bismarck, N.D.
William H. Wood
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 878; transcribed by FoFG mz
Wood, William H., b. in Loudon, N.H., Feb. 2, 1817; d. in 1870. He studied at Dartmouth College, 1839, and was graduated at Union College, 1843; was admitted to the bar in 1845; settled in Sauk Rapids, Minn., in 1851; established and edited The New Era; was a representative in the legislature. Afterward he was president of a college in Kentucky, but died after holding the position one year.
Benton County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails