Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group


Blue Earth County, Minnesota

Biography Index





Return HOME

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z





* * * * * A * * * * *


George G. Ackerman
George N. Ackerman
Silas L. Allen
Jens C. Andersen


George Anderson
Julius A. Anderson
John Wesley Andrews
Richard Stephen Annis
Isaac Antry


John Arend
Joseph W. Atcherson
Mack Atcherson
Joseph Austin
Aymer D. Axtell

* * * * * B * * * * *


Milen E. Babcock
Chester Bailey
James H. Baker
Columbus Ballard
Benedict Bangerter
Frank H. Barnes


Franklin Barnes
Martin Edgar Barnes
Asa C. Barney
Charles Barney
Henry C. Bartlett
Abner Bausman


William Artemus Beach
Charles A. Bishman
August Blissenbach
George E. Brett
Daniel Buck

* * * * * C * * * * *




C THRU Z BELOW, AND MORE BIOS COMING SOON.


Alvin Montgomery Collins
Sources: MILITARY: MN Rosters of the Mankato Citizen Soldiers. Civil War soldiers and sailors database online. NARA War and monument records, service records pension record.
` Personal history account of Alvin Collins - The Dakota Trials. Alvin helped build the scaffold. He was an Army carpenter and wheelwright.
US CENSUS CRAWFORD CO PA 1840 1850, 1852 mrg cert in Jefferson co WI , US CENSUS BLUE EARTH CO MN 1860, 1870.
1870 record of dues in arrears Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Masons, Mn.
1871 JOURNEY ACCOUNT of wagon trail west told by Evalett Eliza Collins to her family, oral family history notes of account passed down, of Margaret angeline Williams, Evalett Long,Novella Redwine and myself, gloria lange., direct line decendents.
Account dues Grand Lodge Portland, Multnomah co,Hillsboro, Washington co Or, Fraternal Order of Masons
US CENSUS 1880 1900,1910,1920 1930 Hillsboro, Washington co OR
Death certs and obituaries of Alvin M. Collins, Lydia Crandall Collins and Evalett Eliza Collins
Crandall Diary Judge Rodolph Crandall, brother in law of Alvin
Mrg Book 1 Washington Co OR.
Personal letter written bef 1968 in Pa Collins family byFee cousins to family Uber cousins members also in Pa which confirmed Alvins account of Dakota Trials. This letter also closely matches the accounts of the Trials found at the Dakota Trials page of the history of MN from the MN Historical society.
Alvin's civil war monument alongside his grave column including name and rank and unit.
----Submitted by 5th great-granddaughter, Gloria Lange

ALVIN MONTGOMERY COLLINS. B. PA 1832 served in the Mankato citizen soldiers, the Sioux Indian Wars, The Dakota Trials, entered the Civil War as Junior Lieut.- Union, In the 1st Mn heavy artillery in 1862 St. PAUL MN. was posted to the garrison at Chattanooga Tn was mustered out as 1st Lieut at wars end. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Masons, until 1870, when he, wife Lydia, three children, and many other COLLINS family members decided to head west to Ca and Or.


C. Owen Dailey
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAILEY C Owen, Mankato. Res 606 Warren st, office 203 S Front st. Lawyer. Born Dec 10, 1861 in Rockford Ill, son of Thomas and Rose Ann Dailey. Married June 26, 1901 to Dora M Wilson. Educated in the common schools and Northern Indiana Normal School Valparaiso Ind 1871-1882 and Northern Illinois Normal School Dixon Ill 1883, graduating from teachers’ class June 1883. Read law in Dixon Ill and was admitted to the bar 1885. Began practice in Adrian Minn 1885 and moved to Ellsworth in Nov of same year, continuing practice there until 1889, when he was appointed county atty of Nobles county, removing to Worthington the county seat; re-elected 1890; removed to Mankato 1892 and has practiced law there to date; city atty Mankato 1899 to date.


David Charles Davies
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAVIES David Charles, Mankato. Res 241 Shaubut, office 7-8 Ekle bldg. Real estate and insurance. Born Nov 3, 1862 in Le Sueur county Minn, son of John S and Mary (Jones) Davies. Married Sept 17, 1890. Educated in the country schools of Blue Earth county and Mankato State Normal School. Engaged in teaching country schools of Blue Earth and Brown counties Minn 1887-1892; located May 1893 in Mankato and has engaged in the real estate and insurance business to date. Member Commercial Club; K of P; M W A and Modern Samaritans.


William W. Davis Jr.
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAVIS William W Jr, Mankato. Banker. Born May 13, 1862 in South Bend Minn, son of William W and Ellen (Baxter) Davis. Married June 28, 1893 to Emma A Fletcher. Educated in Mankato public schools; cashr and bkpr for the Hubbard Milling Co Mankato 15 years; trustee Mankato Savings Bank since its organization 1892 and now cashr of same. Member Commercial Club and Y M C A.


Louis C. Diamond
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DIAMOND Louis C, Mankato. Res 210 Lewis, office 426 S Front. Merchant. Born Oct 1, 1871 in Mankato Minn, son of John and Mary Ann (Schutt) Diamond. Married Aug 5, 1896 to Anna M Honer. Educated in public schools; State Normal School and Business College Mankato. Engaged in farming until 1897; in cattle business 1894; returned to farming 1896; in feed business 1895 to date. Member Commercial Club.


Aaron N. Dukes
Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago; 1887; BZ; Submitted by a FoFG

The gentleman whose name introduces this sketch is a native of Randolph County, Indiana, and son of William and Matilda (McKim) Dukes, the father born in Maryland, and the mother in the State of Ohio. On the father's side he is descended from English ancestors, his grandfather, Isaac Dukes, emigrating from England to the United States in an early day and settling in Maryland.. William Dukes in early life moved to Randolph County, Indiana, where for a number of years he was alternately engaged in merchandising, milling and agricultural pursuits. He subsequently disposed of his interests in that part of the State, and in 1846 moved to Miami County, locating near the village of Gilead, where he lived until he removed to a beautiful farm adjoining the city of Peru, several years later. He was a prominent farmer and stock raiser, and deserves mention as one of the successful men of his adopted county. His death occurred in the year 1878. His wife, Matilda Dukes, was the daughter of William and Jarte McKim, who came to the United States from Ireland about the beginning of the present century. It is related that on the voyage to the new world, the vessel on which they sailed encountered a terrific storm, which for a time threatened the complete destruction of all on board. The sails were riddled and torn by the fierce gale, and in order to mend them Mrs. McKim spun threads on a little spinning wheel which she was bringing over with her, the Captain holding the wheel and Mr. McKim holding the chair in which she sat. By this means the sails were repaired, and in due time the vessel was enabled to proceed on its course in safety. William McKim settled near Chillicothe, Ohio, but subsequently emigrated to Randolph County, Indiana, where he lived until his removal to Miami County, about the year 1855. He was a farmer by occupation and died in the county in 1862. His wife survived him about eight years, departing this life in 1870. Mrs. Dukes, the mother of our subject, died at her home near Peru in 1874. The following are the names of the children born to William and Matilda Dukes, viz: A. N., Levi, Lydia, wife of Oliver Wilson, Jane, wife of John McRea, Mary, wife of Mr. Parmley, Emma, wife of James Pugh, John, and Priscilla, wife of Dr. Frank Black. Aaron N. Dukes was born on the 27th day of October, 1834; accompanied his parents to Miami County in 1846, and has been one of its most successful and highly esteemed citizens ever since. He attended the public schools during winter seasons, where he acquired a good practical education, and when out of school improved his time working on the farm, early acquainting himself with the details of that useful occupation. He remained with his parents until his seventeenth year, at which time he abandoned agricultural pursuits and accepted the position of salesman in the mercantile house of E. H. Shirk, Peru, in which capacity he continued one year, effecting a co-partnership with his employer at the end of that time, in a general store at the town of Gilead. After remaining in the latter place about two years he disposed of his interest; and in 1856 removed to Mankato, Minnesota, where until 1862 he was engaged in merchandising, milling and dealing in real estate, retaining his connection with Mr. Shirk in the meantime. He returned to Peru, Ind.. in the latter year and from that date until 1865 was a partner of Mr. Shirk in the general mercantile business, their house during that period being one of the largest and most successful of the kind in Northern Indiana. He withdrew from the firm in 1865, and in partnership with J. H. Jamison engaged in the grocery and pork packing business, which branches of industry were conducted with financial profit until 1868, Mr. Dukes purchasing his partner's interest that year. Two years later he sold out and purchased what is known as the Holman farm, adjoining the city of Peru, a part of which he subsequently laid off in town lots, known as Dukes' first and second additions. In the meantime he began dealing in real estate, a business he carried on quite extensively until 1881. In 1877 he was appointed assignee of the Ulrich wagon works of Peru, the duties of which position required the greater part of his time, until the satisfactory arrangement of the business in 1881. In the latter year he was appointed receiver of the Indiana Manufacturing company of Peru, one of the largest manufacturing enterprises of the State, to which he has since devoted his entire attention. Mr. Dukes took an active part in the Sioux war of Minnesota in 1862, having been for some time in command of the military post of Mankato. His has been a very active business life, throughout which he has discharged his duty with commendable fidelity, proving himself worthy the confidence of his fellow citizens and competent to fill responsible positions intrusted to him. He is a Republican in politics, and a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, with which he has been identified since about the year 1854. In September, 1859, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Thompson, daughter of Rev. James Thompson, the projector and one of the founders of Wabash College, at Crawfordsville. Mr. Thompson was a man of deep piety and scholarly attainments, and was actively engaged in the work of the Master for over half a century. He died in Minnesota in the year 1876. To Mr. and Mrs. Dukes have been born two children, to-wit: Elbert, born in 1860, and William, born in 1862, died in 1871.


A. O. Eberhardt
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, Minn.) Tuesday, 21 Sept. 1909; transcribed by FoFG mz

A. O. Eberhardt
Who Will Become Chief Executive of Minnesota.
A. O. Eberhardt is a lawyer, residing at Mankato, Blue Earth county. Born in Sweden. He came to Minnesota in 1881. He is 39 years of age and married. A graduate of Gustavus Adolphus college, St. Peter, Minn. In 1895 he studied law in the office of Judge Clay, Mankato, Minn. Has been appointed and served as deputy clerk United States circuit court and district courts, and United States commissioner for the district of Minnesota. Is a director in the First National Bank, Mankato. Served in the senate sessions in 1903 and 1904, and was elected lieutenant governor in 1905; re-elected 1908.


Lucius B. Fancher
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by B.Z.

LUCIUS B. FANCHER, county superintendent of schools in Ramsey County, whose home is in Devils Lake, is making an enviable record as one of the foremost educators of the state. He is thorough, systematic, and well educated, and is an earnest worker for the advancement of the public school system of North Dakota.
Our subject was born in Du Page County, Illinois, August 3, 1860, and was reared on a farm, and removed with his parents to Martin county, Minnesota, when he was four years of age, and when ten years of age settled in Fairmont, where the father moved owing to his election as clerk of the district court of Martin County. There our subject grew to manhood and received a liberal education and attended the Mankato State Normal, where he took the advanced course and graduated in 1879, and also took special courses in different lines and a business course in Minneapolis. After graduating from the State Normal he was employed as deputy auditor of Martin County, and was thus engaged about a year and a half, and then followed various vocations until he engaged in teaching as a profession. He was principal of the schools at Jackson and at Sherburn, Minnesota, and went to Mayville, North Dakota, in the fall of 1885 and assumed charge of the city schools and remained three years in that capacity, and in the fall of 1888 was elected superintendent of the city schools at Devils Lake, and was also principal of the high school. He held the position until the close of the school year in 1894, when he resigned and was elected county superintendent of schools in Ramsey county. He did very efficient work and was re-elected in 1896 and again in 1898 and is now serving his third term in that office.

Our subject was married near Mankato, Minnesota, to Miss Amelia A. Bradley, a native of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Fancher are the parents of three children, named as follows: Harlan R., Hazel and Carroll E. For several years Mr. Fancher was secretary of the Young Alen's Christian Association, at Devils Lake, and he was one of the incorporators of the Devils Lake Chautauqua Association, and served as its first corresponding secretary, and was a member of the committee that selected the beautiful grounds of that now famous summer resort. He is prominent in state educational work and enjoys the confidence and esteem of the people among whom he labors.


Martin Farmer
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks 

FARMER Martin, Minneapolis.  Res 3312 1st av S, office 307 6th st S.  Merchant.  Born Mar 9, 1869 in Vernon Center Minn, son of Mathew and Ella (Weston) Farmer. Married Nov 7, 1906 to Josephine Menth. Received his education in common schools. Moved to Mankato  1891;  employed in mercantile business until 1906; moved to Minneapolis and engaged in business as Farmer Bros whol hosiery to date.


Lafayette G. M. Fletcher
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FLETCHER Lafayette G M, Mankato. Banker. Born Feb 13, 1830 in Stockholm, St Lawrence county N Y, son of Adolphus and Sarah (Wellington) Fletcher. Twice married: Dec 1858 to Lucina B Foot and May 15, 1872 to Susie M Dyer. Educated in common schools; St Lawrence Academy Potsdam N Y and Ogdensburg N Y Academy. Taught school in winters 1849-54; with govt survey Blue Earth county 1854; settled in Mankato 1854; taught school winters 1855-58; member State Senate 1883; has been engaged in grain, storing, farming and real estate. Pres and trustee Mankato Savings Bank. Member School Board more than 40 years. Member Commercial Club.

Another source:
[Source: Encyclopedia of Biography of Minnesota, History of Minnesota by Judge Charles E. Flandreau, 1900, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

Lafayette G. M. Fletcher, of Mankato, was born in Stockholm, St. Lawrence county, New York, February 13, 1830. His parents were Adolphus and Sarah (Wellington) Fletcher. Both his parents were of English descent through colonial families noted in the early history of New England. His father was a native of Walpole, New Hampshire, born in 1795, and served as a private soldier in the War of 1812. His grandfather, Luke Fletcher, served through the War of the Revolution, fought at Newton and, wintering at Valley Forge, was present at the surrender of Yorktown. The Fletcher family came from England in 1630 and settled in Lowell, Massachusetts. The subject of this biography spent his younger days on his father's farm, attended the common school and later the St. Lawrence Academy, at Potsdam, and the Ogdensburg Academy, and taught school winters from the age of nineteen to twenty four. His father died at the old homestead in 1851, and his mother in 1873. In May, 1854, young Fletcher started out to see the world, and to make a place for himself, intending to go to Council Bluffs, Iowa. He stopped at Dubuque, Iowa, for a few weeks, and while there met a party of government surveyors, and engaged to go with them. He was active, energetic, and quick to learn, and be soon picked up a fair understanding of the work. He was given charge of a party in townshiping and checking, a portion of the season of 1854. They started the survey July 6, 1854, at the southeast corner of Blue Earth county and ran west on the first standard parallel, reaching Mankato about August 15, of the same year. Mr. Fletcher was so much pleased with the country that he concluded to locate there permanently, and he was the only one out of a party of forty men that remained. He immediately made a claim north of the present townsite, where he built a homestead, and where he has resided for over forty-five years. While the country was new he spent much of his time in locating newcomers, surveying claims and making out papers. He located the Maple River colony and surveyed the land; he also surveyed and laid out several additions to the city of Mankato. He has been engaged in farming, grain storing, and in the real estate business, and has built some of the substantial business blocks of Mankato. He was one of the original incorporators of the Mankato Savings Bank, and has been its president since its organization, with Mr. J. C. Cotton cashier. He was also one of the directors of the Mankato Manufacturing Company, and has been interested in many other business institutions. He was one of the original five who organized the Republican Party in Mankato, in 1856, and he is the only surviving member of that quintette. He has been a member of the school board nearly all the time since 1860, and has served the people faithfully in that capacity. He helped to build the first school house in Mankato in the summer of 1855, and he taught the first school in the winter of 1855 and 1856, and also in the winter of 1857 and 1858. He was elected to the State Senate in 1883 and served for one term. In fact he has always been a prominent figure in the history of Mankato. A prominent citizen who has known him intimately for many years says: "Mr. Fletcher has truly been the architect of his own fortune. The capital with which he started was an abiding ambition to succeed, strong hands and a steadfast purpose; he was gifted with good practical ability, and schooled in industry and in the practice of rigid economy in the husbanding of his resources. Success attended his efforts, as a reward for well directed industry, and with it he secured the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens. Mr. Fletcher is a gentleman of correct habits, positive convictions, and strong in friendships. He is a firm and unswerving friend of the cause of popular education, and from his earliest citizenship in Mankato, has earnestly and unselfishly labored to promote its success. For over forty years he has been identified with the school interests of Mankato, and while he has, in the positive declaration of his views, incurred opposition, the earnestness and unmistakable honesty of his purpose has commanded the confidence and support of his constituency, enabling him to wield a large influence in shaping and directing the policy of the public schools. He has always been on the side of good government, and for simplicity and economy in all public affairs."

Mr. Fletcher was married in December, 1858, to Lucina B. Foot, who died September 17, 1870. He married his present wife, whose maiden name was Susie M. Dyer, May 15, 1872. His children are: George H. Fletcher - a prominent attorney of Minneapolis; Carrie D. - Mrs. C. J. Rockwood of Minneapolis; Emma A. - Mrs. W. W. Davis, Jr., of Mankato; Lucine E. (deceased); Ella May - teaching in Minneapolis; Jennie D. - teaching in Mankato; Nellie (deceased); Mildred, L. G. M., Jr., and Edith - living at home, in Mankato.


Ezra Gates
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander 

Gates Ezra W, Garden City.  Miller.  Born Jan 9, 1851 in Waukan Wis, son of John and Elizabeth (Talbot) Gates. Married May 17, 1877 to Lulu Stimpson.  Educated in common schools at Garden City and Bailey’s Commercial at Dubuque Ia. Engaged in milling business under firm name of Friend & Gates Garden City 1882 to date. Member Minn House of Representatives 1905 and 1907; served in Home Guard during Indian outbreak 1862-65.


Edson Gaylord
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Gaylord Edson S, Minneapolis. Res 2221 N Fremont av, office 550 Temple Court. Lawyer. Born Sept 22, 1861 at West Cheshire Conn, son of Samuel D and Caroline A (Russell) Gaylord. Married March 1887 to Louise March. Moved to Minn 1870 and resided in Garden City until 1878; moved to Minneapolis 1878; graduated from high school Minneapolis 1879; U of M, B A 1883; LL B 1885; admitted to the bar in 1885; engaged in the gen practice of law in Minneapolis to date. Member Chi Psi college fraternity; I O O F, Royal Arcanum, A O U W, M W A and Masonic fraternity.


William Geddes
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Geddes William Reid, Mankato. Lawyer. Born Nov 28, 1855 son of William and Margaret (Higgins) Geddes. Married Nov 1, 1884 to Lou Williams. Educated in country schools Blue Earth county and state normal school of Mankato. Engaged in teaching school Blue Earth county 1876-84. City editor Mankato Free Press 1884-86. Purchased interest in the Mankato Register and published same 1886-91, during which time he served as sheriff of Blue Earth county for 3 years. During newspaper career was also engaged in reading law; admitted to bar 1891 and practiced law alone until 1902; formed partnership with brother Chas D Geddes as W R & C D Geddes 1902, which firm still continues. Member M N G 1886-91. Elected special judge municipal court Mankato April 2, 1897 for term of 3 years.


Thomas Germo
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Germo Thomas, Red Lake Falls. Lawyer. Born May 2, 1872 in Medo Blue Earth county Minn, son of Styrk and Ellen (Rokne) Germ,o. Married Sept 18, 1903 to Eleanor Findeisen. Educated in common schools; Mankato State Normal School; Rochester (Minn) Business College; graduated from law dept U of M, LL B 1900. Engaged in farming, teaching school, as bank clk court reporter, newspaper reporter, detective and lawyer; now serving 2nd term as county atty of Red Lake county Minn. Member Am, and Minn State Bar assns.; Home Study Club; M W A; I O O F; K of P.


Henry Himmelman Jr.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HIMMELMAN Henry Jr, Mankato. Res 403 N Broad st. Plumbing and heating. Born Jan 25, 1861 in Mankato Minn, son of Henry and Pauline (Heinze) Himmelman. Married May 4, 1886 to Louisa Schenrer. Educated in the public and parochial schools Mankato; German school New Ulm and normal school Mankato. First employed in grocery and bakery; 1 ½ years in county auditor’s office; employed in hotel business until 1903, when he took management of Standard Brewing Co Mankato; mngr of same 3 years; pres of same 6 years; established Mankato Plumbing & Heating Co March 15, 1907. Member of board of aldermen 8 years; Board of Public Works 2 years delegate to National Democratic Convention at Kansas City. Member I O O F; K of P and Sons of Hermann.


John B. Hodapp
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HODAPP John B, Mankato. Public official. Born June 20, 1855 in Mankato, son of Philip and Elizabeth (Borgmeier) Hodapp. Married in 1874 to Clara Krost. Educated in the parochial schools of Mankato. Engaged in farming until 1876; drug clk 1882; conducted canning factory 1900; moved to Horton county Texas in hotel business; returned to Mankato and elected city recorder 1903, which office he holds to date. Member M N G 5 years; organizer volunteer fire department.


John Snell Holbrook
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HOLBROOK John Snell, Mankato. Res 419 S Broad, office 125 E. Cherry Physician (R). Born Dec 17, 1873 in Arkansaw Wis, son of Willard F and Mary (Ames) Holbrook. Married Aug 1900 to Mary E Whiting. Attended public schools in Arkansaw Wis and Northfield Minn; graduated from Northfield High School; from medical dept U of M 1896; resident physician in St Mary’s Hospital Minneapolis Minn 1 year. Practiced medicine in Mankato Minn 1897 to date; Member firm of Andrews & Holbrook. Member State Medical, Blue Earth County and Minnesota Valley Medical societies.


Carl J. Holman
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HOLMAN Carl J, Mankato. Res 125 Broad st, office Richards blk. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Oct 25, 1869 in Freeborn county Minn, son of Iver Johnson and Caroline (Kittlesen) Holman. Married March 14, 1901 to Dr Madge Timmerman. Educated in the high school Granite Falls; graduated from Rush Medical College M D 1889. House physician 1 year to Norwegian Tabitha Hospital Chicago and 1 year in the Chicago Policlinic. Has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Mankato and is now surgeon to the Immanuel and St Joseph hospitals Mankato. Member of the firm of Curran, Edwards, Holman and Schmitt.


Rensselaer D. Hubbard
[Source: Encyclopedia of Biography of Minnesota, History of Minnesota by Judge Charles E. Flandreau, 1900, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

Rensselaer Dean Hubbard, of Mankato, prominent as a manufacturer and one of the strongest and most influential among the leading business men of Minnesota, was born on his father's farm in Maryland township, Otsego county, New York, December 14, 1837. His father, Oliver B. Hubbard, was born at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1800, and came with his family to Otsego county, New York, in 1809. His ancestors were residents of Connecticut in Colonial times, and some of them were prominent characters in early history. His mother, whose maiden name was Lavinia Chase, was also a native of Connecticut, and from an old New England family, several of whose members were soldiers in the war of the Revolution. Oliver B. Hubbard was an honest, industrious farmer and a good citizen, but he was not acquisitive or thrifty, and his sons were obliged to assist in support of the family, and had to "pick up" what education they could between the intervals of farm work. His son, the subject hereof, attended the district school for several winter seasons, and later was for a few months in a select school, which was conducted by Prof. W. F. Perry, who was for many years superintendent of the public schools in Ann Arbor, Michigan. At the age of fifteen he went out to work, securing jobs at anything he could And. His first cash earnings for six months' labor on a farm amounted to fifty dollars, every cent of which he gave to his good mother. After this he worked a month for a fanner, for which he was to receive eight dollars; but when he had completed his contract his employer told him he had no money and offered him a calf in full payment. With a rope about its neck he led away the calf, and after a little time sold it for eight dollars. This money he spent on himself. With a part of it he bought a pair of boots, costing five dollars, and the balance he paid for three months' tuition in the select school mentioned, working nights and mornings for his board. When his three dollars of capital was exhausted he left school and obtained work with a surveying party then engaged in locating the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad-now called the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company-running from Albany to Binghamton. He was naturally industrious, plucky, and venturesome. In the spring of 1854, when a lad of but sixteen years of age, he joined a party composed of seven or eight men who were going to California. The party left New York April 5, and arrived at San Francisco May 5, going via the Nicaragua route, by sea. In California, young Hubbard secured work on a farm in Yolo county, in the Sacramento valley, where he was engaged for two years. At fifty dollars a month, the prevailing wages in California at the time, he had saved at the end of his term $1,126, every dollar of which sum he sent home to his parents. He took up a claim and located on a tract of land, where he tried farming on his own account, but droughty seasons prevented his raising full crops. Tired of farming, he undertook a business venture. In August, 1857, he purchased a stock of supplies in Sacramento and took them over the mountains to the Humboldt river country, and engaged in trading them to immigrants in exchange for exhausted and "used up" live stock. These broken down animals he fed and cared for until they were in good condition again, when he would trade them for other "worn out" stock. Often he would receive three poor cattle in exchange for one that was "fresh" and able to travel. He continued in this business for about four months, when he returned to his claim. In July, 1858, he went to Fraser river, in British Columbia, at the time of the gold excitement in that region. He went by water and landed at Whatcom, on Bellingham bay. Here he purchased a small boat, on credit, and loading it with a cargo of provisions-which he also bought on credit-and with some passengers and their baggage, rowed and poled it up the river to the mines. He finally established and operated a line of rowboats to and from Victoria and Bellingham bay and to Fort Yale, on the Fraser river, for about nine months, when he returned to California, en route for "the States." He landed in New York on Christmas eve, 1859. He was at his old home in Otsego county until in March, 1860, when he again went to California. In a few months after his return to the Golden State he secured a situation in Sacramento as a clerk in a grocery store at fifty dollars a month. After four months he was in full charge of the store at a salary of one hundred and sixty dollars a month. He was in this position until January, 1863, when he returned to New York, intending to enlist in the Union army, but on the journey he was prostrated with a serious attack of pneumonia. As soon as he was able to travel he went home and attempted to enlist, but was rejected on account of his bad physical condition. He then went to Sidney Plains, New York, rented a piece of land and engaged in tobacco culture for about two years. Meantime he acted the part of a good loyal citizen, aided in recruiting soldiers for the army, and unable to enlist himself because of his physical disabilities, sent a substitute into the service. April 9, 1863, he married Miss Mary E. Cook, a daughter of Harvey W. Cook, of his native village. In the fall of 1866 he removed to Corry, Pennsylvania, and established a grocery business, which proved a very profitable venture. Starting with a capital of $2,000, in less than four years he had cleared about $30,000. Enough has been given of the details of Mr. Hubbard's varied career to show that he was always a man of parts and resources, and of great activity and industry. If he could not do something he preferred, he could and did do something else. At any rate, he was never idle. Instead of waiting for "something to turn up," he went to work and tinned something up). Whether the iron was hot or cold, he "kept a-hammering," to use one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite expressions. In 1870, Mr. Hubbard, accompanied by his wife this time, made another trip to California by water, and arrived at San Francisco at the breaking out of the Franco-Prussian war. He intended engaging in banking, and took with him about $100,000, the greater part of which sum had been entrusted to him by certain friends. But on account of the unsettled condition of the money market, he decided to forego his intention and started on his return to the East. Going by rail to Omaha and thence to Davenport, at the latter place he took a boat for Winona, Minnesota. It was in this year that the Northwestern Railroad was completed to Mankato. After traveling over the country for some weeks he finally decided to locate permanently at Mankato, and did so. He built a warehouse and began buying wheat, continuing in that business until March, 1872, when with the late J. A. Willard and J. B. Hubbell he organized the Mankato Linseed Oil Company, of which he was the manager for eleven years, going through a period of great depression, but finally making the enterprise financially successful. In 1879 he established the Mankato Milling Company, with himself as president, George M. Palmer, secretary, and William Pierson, general manager. For the first few months, owing to the radical changes which were being made in the milling process, the business was not profitable. Mr. Hubbard purchased the interests of his associates and has continued to operate the mill since, first under the firm name of R. D. Hubbard & Company, with F. L. Waters as partner, then from 1894 to 1897 as the R. D. Hubbard Milling Company, and since 1897 as the Hubbard Milling Company. The mill was built in 1878 and reconstructed in 1879, when its character was changed from the stone system to the roller process, with all the latest improved machinery for flour making. Its present capacity is 1,200 barrels daily, and 1,500,000 bushels of wheat pass through the mill annually. In 1882, Mr. Hubbard, with J. J. Thompson, established a large live stock business in Custer county, Montana, taking from Minnesota to the great ranch 5,500 head of cattle in two years. About this time, associated with Capt. Thomas P. Gere, he established the large linseed oil works at Sioux City, Iowa. These mills were of the largest capacity and the best equipped for their purpose probably in the world. They cost $275,000, and had a capacity of crushing 2,000 bushels of flaxseed per day. They were operated by Hubbard & Gere for three years, and in 1887 were sold to the Linseed Oil Trust. In 1892 he purchased the interest of Mr. S. H. Grannis, in the firm of Grannis & Palmer, and organized the Hubbard & Palmer Elevator Company, which has forty elevators on the Chicago, St. Paul & Minneapolis and the Omaha Division of the Northwestern Railway, chiefly for the purchase and storage of grain and for supplying wheat for the mill at Mankato. In 1897 the business was incorporated as Hubbard, Palmer & Co., with George M. Palmer president. Mr. Hubbard was born a Democrat, and voted for James Buchanan for President in 1856, but ever since has voted for the Republican candidates for National offices. He has always been too much occupied with business affairs to give much attention to party politics, and is not a politician. He has served one term in the Mankato city council, the only public official position he ever cared to hold. As a citizen he has always been eminently public-spirited, ever ready to aid and encourage, with his influence and his money, any enterprise for the public good. His position and condition in the world are the result of his own efforts. He is not only the architect but the builder of his fortune, and his entire business career, from the time he worked for and sold the eight dollar calf, to his ownership and management of his magnificent manufacturing enterprises, has been honorable, straight-forward, and characterized by the strictest integrity. His career exemplifies what may be accomplished by the poorest American boy who will adopt and never depart from a course of industry, perseverance, economy and general honorable conduct. One of his fellow citizens says:

"Mr. Hubbard is a man of fine personal appearance, of large form and manly build, and of impressive address. His mind and ambition have an inclination for great projects, and when enlisted in them his tireless industry and economical tendencies make them successful, frequently under adverse circumstances. Mr. Hubbard is a man of excellent business capacity, a hard worker, and gives to his undertakings the closest and most exacting personal attention. He makes it a point to understand every department of his large business affairs. He has contributed much to the development and prosperity of Mankato, and the 'big mill,' as it is familiarly called, is a monument to his enterprise, sagacity, and industry."

Mr. Hubbard's wife died, April 21, 1877, leaving one son, Jay Hubbard, born January 8, 1870, now in business with his father. Mr. Hubbard was again married October 7, 1878, to Miss Frank Griffith, stepdaughter of James Cannon, of Mankato. They are the parents of two daughters - Kate and Mary E. The family attend the Presbyterian church, and are prominent members of society in Mankato. They have a lovely and well-appointed home at No. 606 Broad street.


Evan Hughes
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Hughes, Evan, Mankato. Lawyer. Born Feb 10, 1862 in Blue Earth county Minn, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Davis) Hughes. Married Jan 31, 1899 to Amy E. Mason. Attended country schools until 1876. Worked on a farm and taught school until 1880; attended Carleton College Northfield Minn 1881-84. Prin of grade schools Mankato 1884-87; entered law office of brother Thomas Hughes, where he has been engaged in practice since his admission to the bar. Member of school board 1901 to date; pres of same 1903 to date.


Frank W. Hunt
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Hunt, Frank W, Mankato. Res 327 Clark st, office 123-127 E Jackson st. Journalist. Born Sept 24, 1854 in Edwards N Y, son of Nathan F and Caroline (Gates) Hunt. Married in 1877 to Nellie L Morse. Received his education in public schools Watertown N Y. First engaged in the importation of horses from Canada; moved to Mankato 1887 and was engaged in newspaper work on the Free Press with his brother L P Hunt until 1902, when he became one of three owners and pres of the Free Press Ptg Co mnfg printers and owners and publishers of the Daily and Weekly Free Press of Mankato. Member Commercial Club; Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen.


Lewis Pierce Hunt
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853–ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Lewis Pierce Hunt is the president and manager of the Free Press Printing Company, of Mankato. His father, Nathan V. Hunt, was a native of Vermont, born there in 1811. While he was a lad he removed to St. Lawrence County, New York, and was for several years employed at the shoemaker's trade. In 1832 he married Caroline Gates, a native of St. Lawrence County, and to them were born fifteen children, twelve of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and eleven of whom are still living. The old people lived together for fifty-eight years, the father surviving until about six years ago, and the mother until about two years ago. Nathan Hunt, in 1860, acquired part ownership and the position of manager in a large manufacturing plant in Edwards, St. Lawrence County, New York, for the manufacture of wagons, carriages, axes, etc. A prosperous business was carried on until 1864, when the plant was entirely destroyed by fire causing a loss of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. This left Mr. Hunt without resources and yet with a large family dependent upon him. He came west with his family and located at Independence, Iowa, remaining there for five years. He then engaged in farming near Jesup, but misfortune and failing health, and a longing for the scenes of his younger and more prosperous days, induced him and his wife to return to New York in 1871, where they remained until they died. Mr. Hunt never recovered his fortune, and Lewis Pierce, the subject of this sketch, who was born at Edwards, in 1854, while the family still resided on the farm near Jesup, was obliged to strike out for himself while yet a mere lad, and at the age of twelve years began to learn the printer's trade. He had only received such an education as a boy of that age could acquire in the public schools, and chiefly in country schools. It may be said, therefore, that the printing office has been his school and the type case his educator. He was only thirteen years of age when he took charge of a country office, and always thereafter, until engaged in business for himself, had the foremanship of the mechanical departments or editorial charge of the papers on which he was employed. Mr. Hunt not only began his business career early, but his married life as well. He was not yet twenty years of age when, in 1874, he married Miss Lizabeth Putnam, a native of New Hampshire, and his junior in years. In February 1881, Mr. Hunt engaged in business for himself by purchasing, in connection with F. E. Cornish, the Lanesboro Minnesota Journal. In October, of the same year, Mr. Hunt purchased a half interest in the Mankato Free Press, and in the following September bought out his partner and conducted the business alone, publishing a weekly paper until 1887, when he formed a stock company and started a daily edition. This paper has met with continued and flattering success, under his direction, and in 1895 he built a handsome business block for its occupancy, said to be the model country printing office of Minnesota, Mr. Hunt has always been a Republican, but the only office which he ever held, which could be regarded as political, was that of postmaster under President Arthur, from March 1883, to May 1885, when he was removed by President Cleveland to make room for a Democrat. In 1896 he was delegate-at-large to the Republican national convention at St. Louis. Mr. Hunt was named as a member of the Minnesota World's Fair Commission, and in 1891 was elected superintendent of the Minnesota state exhibits at the World's Fair. The state had only appropriated fifty thousand dollars, and it was generally agreed that that was not sufficient to make a satisfactory showing at the Exposition. Mr. Hunt was, therefore, authorized to solicit subscriptions for a fund of one hundred thousand dollars to supplement the legislative appropriation, and was actively engaged in collecting this money for nearly a year. He was entirely successful, and as a result his state was well represented and the guarantors were subsequently reimbursed at a later session of the legislature. Following his success in raising this fund his time was devoted to collecting and installing exhibits and superintending the Minnesota exhibition at Chicago until the close of the fair and until the exhibits were returned to the state. Mr. Hunt is a member of the K. of P. and is at present one of the Supreme Representatives for this Grand Domain.


John Henry James
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907), transcribed by Mary Saggio. 

JAMES JOHN HENRY, Mankato.  Res 720 S 2d st.  Oculist and aurist. Born Feb 28, 1846 in Greenwich N Y, son of Joseph and Roxanna C (Brownell) James. Married twice:  Aug 27, 1879 to Hattie N White; Sept 18, 1895 to Florence White. Educated in the dist schools of Cambridge N Y; Greenwich Academy N Y and attended medical dept of Univ of New York City 1873-75. Raised on a farm and previous to attending college taught district school 1866-67; learned painter's trade and engaged in same until 1872; was officer in charge of Boys' Juvenile Asylum for several months; after graduation appointed asst physician to Blackwells Island Insane Asylum New York City until 1876, when he removed to St Peter Minn and engaged in similar capacity 1876-91; engaged in the practice of medicine, making a specialty of the eye, ear, throat and nose Mankato 1891 to date.  Pres. treas and dir Mankato Citizens Telephone Co 6 years; 1st pres and dir Minnesota Valley Telephone & Telegraph Co.  Member American State, Minnesota Valley and Blue Earth County Medical societies and American Academy of Ophthalmology and Sto-laryngology; honorary member Brown County and S W Medical societies. Member Mankato Commercial and Social Science clubs.


Charles Francis Parsons
Source: "Men of Hawaii", vol 1, Edited by John William Siddell, 1917, p. 201. Transcribed by Kim Mohler

PARSONS, CHARLES FRANCIS, lawyer, Hilo, Hawaii; born at Mankato, Minn., Jan. 18, 1872; son of S. de Witt and Frances Howell (White) Parsons; grandson of Hon. Albert S. White, U.S. Senator from Indiana (1839-45), and U.S. District Judge, 1864; great-grandson of Thos. Mann Randolph, the third of that name of Tuckahoe Manor, Virginia; educated at Mankato High School and University of Michigan, law dept., LL.B. 1893. Clerk, War Dept., Washington, 1890-91; practiced law, firm of Parsons & Wedekind, San Diego, Cal., 1894-95; practiced law alone in Los Angeles, Cal., 1895-98; removed to Hilo, Hawaii, 1898. District Magistrate, North Hilo, Hawaii, 1899-1900; member law firm of Smith & Parsons, Hilo, 1900-1904; appointed by President Roosevelt to succeed Hon. Gilbert F. Little as Judge of the Circuit Court, Fourth Circuit, Territory of Hawaii, June, 1904; reappointed, serving 12 years. Was Commissioner of Boundaries, Fourth Judicial Circuit; member Board of Trustees, Hilo Public Library; member of University, Outriggers Clubs (Honolulu), Hawaiian Society, S.A.R., Am. Academy Political and Social Science, Am. Bar Assn. and National Council, National Economic League. Republican.


Ole Serumgard
Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Dena Whitesell

OLE SERUMGARD, register in the United States land office at Devils Lake, North Dakota, is one of the public spirited and enterprising citizens of his locality, and enjoys the highest esteem and confidence of his fellowmen. He is engaged in the farm machinery business in Devils Lake in company with Mr. Prosser, and has met with success in his business and is one of the substantial men of Ramsey county.

Our subject was born in the Parish of Lesje Norway, December 22, 1856, and came to America with his parents in 1868. They settled on a farm in Watonwan county, Minnesota, where our subject grew to manhood and continued his residence there until 1881. His education was received in the common schools and at the State Normal at Mankato, where he graduated in 1879. He was engaged in teaching and farming in Wantonwan county until 1881, when he went to North Dakota and taught school one year in Cass county, afterward going to Griggs county, where he took a homestead claim. He engaged in the land and loan business at Coopers, town and remained there till the spring of 1884, when he went to Devils Lake, following the same business there several years. He formed a partnership with Hon. F. H. Prosser in 1891, under the firm name of Prosser & Serumgard, and they have since engaged in the farm machinery business and have made a success of that line.

Mr. Serumgard was married at Mankato, Minnesota, to Miss Karen Throdahl, who was a native of Norway also. Mr. and Mrs. Serumgard are the parents of four children, named as follows: Pauline, Olga, Inez and Harold. Mr. Serumgard taught the first school in Griggs county, and is a gentleman of excellent mind and systematic nature. He was elected treasurer of Ramsey county in 1886, and served two terms. He was appointed a trustee of the State Normal School by Governor Andrew H. Burke, and resigned after serving one year. He has been a member of the city council of Devils Lake for several years, and in July, 1898, was appointed by President McKinley as register of the United States land office at Devils Lake, assuming the duties of that office in September of that year. At the time of his appointment he was serving as mayor of Devils Lake, to which office he was elected in the spring of 1898.


Martin J. Severance
[Source: Encyclopedia of Biography of Minnesota, History of Minnesota by Judge Charles E. Flandreau, 1900, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

Hon. Martin J. Severance, a pioneer lawyer of the Territory of Minnesota, a gallant officer of the Union army during the war of the Rebellion, and for the past nineteen years the learned and just Judge of the District Court of the Sixth Judicial District of Minnesota, was born at Shelburn Falls, Franklin county, Massachusetts, on Christmas Eve, 1826. He was a son of Asa and Calista (Boyden) Severance, both of whom, like himself, were born in the old Bay State, and he is descended from very old New England stock. His first American ancestor on the paternal side came from England to the colony of Massachusetts in 1636. His great grandfather, Martin Severance, served through the French and Indian war - 1756 to 1763 - and also through the war of the Revolution, receiving his discharge from the Patriot army of the war for independence at the advanced age of seventy-three years. He was with Colonel Rodgers' "Rangers" when they attacked and destroyed the town of St. Francis, on the St. Lawrence river, in Canada. Soon after, he was taken prisoner by the French and Indians, carried to Canada, held a captive for two years, and finally returned by way of France, England, and Quebec. His parents, Asa and Calista Severance, had a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom lived to maturity, and seven of whom are yet living. One daughter died at the age of eighteen, and two sons were killed in battle during the war of the Rebellion, one at Fair Oaks, Virginia, in 1862, and the other at Port Hudson, Louisiana, in 1863. Another son was severely wounded at the capture of Arkansas Post, but recovered and is now living in the State of Michigan. The war record of the Severance family is particularly good and notable. Asa Severance was a thrifty farmer, and his son Martin passed his early life in the manner of many another farmer's boy-helping with the "chores" and farm work, and attending the common schools-until he was eighteen years of age. His education was completed in the Franklin Academy, at Shelburn Falls, and in the Williston Seminary, now Williston College, at East Hampton, Massachusetts; he was about six years at school in these institutions. In 1849 he went to Chicopee, Massachusetts, and for two years was a law student in the office of Hon. John Wells, who subsequently became a Judge of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts, and died in office. His legal studies were completed with the law firm of Beach & Bond, of Springfield, Massachusetts, and, in 1854, he was admitted to the bar. For two years he was engaged in the practice of his profession at Chicopee, Massachusetts. In 1856 Mr. Severance came to Minnesota, arriving at St. Paul May 21. Locating at Henderson, Sibley county, then a little frontier town, he opened a law office and engaged in practice. He soon became prominent in the community and in public affairs. He was county attorney of Sibley county for two terms, and in 1858 was elected to serve in the Legislature which was expected to meet in the following January, but which, owing to certain legal and preventing obstacles, did not convene. In 1864 he was again elected and served one term. August 14, 1862, during the great Southern Rebellion, he enlisted as a private in Company I, Tenth Minnesota Infantry. Four days later came the great Sioux Indian outbreak. He was with his company when, as a part of the force under General Sibley, it went to the relief of Fort Ridgely and to the defense of the upper Minnesota valley. Later in the year he attended the extra session of the Legislature as a member, although he was still a private soldier. In November, 1863, he went South with his regiment, and for a time was stationed at St. Louis. April 4, 1864, he was promoted to the captaincy of his company, and served with this rank until he was mustered out with his regiment, in August, 1865, after the close of the war. His company was a splendid organization, and although its material was somewhat remarkable, yet it was typical and representative of the frontier of Minnesota at the time. It was composed of white frontiersmen and mixed-blood Indians in about equal proportion. It made an excellent record for hard and faithful service and for good conduct generally. In May, 1864, Captain Severance went with his command to Columbus, Kentucky, and thence to Memphis, Tennessee. As a part of Gen. A. J. Smith's Sixteenth Army Corps, the regiment participated in the battles about Tupelo, Mississippi, July 13-15, 1864. Later in the same year it was on the "Oxford raid" when the town of Oxford, Mississippi, was burned in retaliation for the destruction of the town of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, by the Confederates. In August it went to Devall's Bluff, Arkansas, and from this post in September it started on the long and toilsome expedition of Gen. A. B. Smith after the Confederate raiding force under General Price that had invaded Missouri. The Tenth Regiment marched on this expedition from Devall's Bluff, through Arkansas and Missouri almost to the Kansas line, near Kansas City, or until the Confederates had been overtaken by General Pleasanton's and General Curtis' cavalry commands and defeated at the Little Blue, the Big Blue and Westport, all near the western line of Missouri, in the neighborhood of Kansas City. Then, with the main part of Smith's Corps, it was sent to Tennessee, arriving at Nashville November 30. It took part in the battles at Nashville, December 15 and 10, 1864, and on the latter day participated in the magnificent and victorious assault on General Hood's Confederate lines. After the victory it took part in the pursuit of Hood's broken army to the Tennessee river, going into camp for a month at Eastport, Alabama. In the early spring of 1865 it was sent to the Gulf of Mexico and participated in the capture of Mobile, April 9, 1865, the last important battle of the war. Captain Severance was mustered out with the regiment at Fort Snelling, August 19, 1865. During his entire term of long and active military service, Captain Severance spent but twenty days in the hospital. He was slightly wounded at the battle of Nashville, but he has never applied for a pension. After his discharge from the army, Captain Severance located at Le Sueur, Minnesota, and resumed the practice of law. In 1870 he removed to Mankato and continued in his profession. He became very prominent as a lawyer, especially in the conduct of criminal cases, and attained to an eminent standing at the bar of his county, his district, and his State. For one year he was associated with O. O. Pitcher, Esq., in partnership, and subsequently with Hon. D. A. Dickinson, who later became one of the Judges of the State Supreme Court. He removed to St. Paul in 1881, and for a short time engaged in law practice with W. P. Warner, Esq., of that city. June 23, 1881, he was appointed by Governor Pillsbury, Judge of the Sixth Judicial District. Afterwards he was elected to the position for three successive terms of six years each - his election being effected each time without opposition or the drawing of party lines. His service on the bench has been that of an able lawyer, an accomplished jurist, and an honest, kind-hearted man. Of his judicial career and his general character, one who writes with full knowledge of the subject, says:

"Judge Severance is a man of wide learning, without as well as within the law. He is a great student, and in ancient as well as modern history has few equals. As a judge his decisions have been almost universally upheld by the higher courts. Large hearted and generous though he is, he never allows his personal feelings to interpose between the sterner demands of justice, and his long years of service on the bench have endeared him to members of the bar and citizens generally. His popularity is best told in the statement that although a Democrat in politics, he presided on the bench of the District Court, in a district overwhelmingly Republican, for eighteen years, and during that time he never had a competitor for the nomination or election. The Judge is a companionable gentleman, honored by all who know him and loved by those who best know his great heartedness and warm impulses."

It is well said that Judge Severance is "a man of wide learning" aside from his profound knowledge of the law. His mind is well stored with general information. He is of literary taste and inclination, and is a most clear and accomplished writer. Some of his literary efforts extant are models of composition in style, expression, and force. As a speaker he is able, earnest, polished, often eloquent and always entertaining and effective. He is a Democrat in politics, commonly in sympathy with the declared principles of his party, and uniformly supporting its National and State tickets. In local elections, however, he invariably selects his candidate on the basis of personal ability, integrity and fitness for the position, no matter to what party he belongs, and he maintains his independence and sustains his manhood under all circumstances. Judge Severance was married June 16, 1858, to Elizabeth P. Van Horn, a native of Chicopee, Massachusetts, and a daughter of Lester Van Horn, of old Knickerbocker ancestry. Mrs. Severance is descended from David Van Horn, who was one of the seven "Vans" among the first Dutch settlers of New York City, and who served on the first grand jury in "Manhattan," as the place was called in the good old days of Dutch dominion and control in "New Amsterdam." The Judge and Mrs. Severance have been the parents of three children, viz.: Winthrop G., who died in Mankato at the age of 39; Frank Q., now residing in Nebraska, engaged in railroading, and Miss Nettie J. Severance, an accomplished young lady, who is proud of her membership in the Daughters of the Revolution, and who is at home with her parents in Mankato.


A. J. Stackpole
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853–ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

A. J. Stackpole, practicing lawyer at Lake Crystal Minnesota is one of the shrewd sons of old New Hampshire, self-made, hard-working and Yankee all over – the kind of man who has been foremost in the Northwest and contributed not a little to the great progress of this part of the country. Mr. Stackpole was born at Dover, New Hampshire, on September 20, 1831. His father was Andrew N. Stackpole, and his mother, who was Miss Eliza Rogers, was a direct descendant of John D. Rogers, one of the Smithfield martyrs. His people were farmers for generations; poor, hard-working and honest. When seven years old young Stackpole went with his parents to Phippsburg, Maine, where they lived some years. At Bath he commenced to learn the ship carver's trade, and completed his course at the trade in Boston, where he went in 1850. This work he pursued in order to raise the money to secure an education. With this purpose he left Boston in 1853 and entered the New Hampton New Hampshire, Academy, from which he afterwards graduated. An education obtained through continuous endeavor and under trying circumstances generally counts for something. Mr. Stackpole had worked his way through – had loaded lumber on the Kennebec, driven yearling steers, hauling wood to the city, and used every opportunity for securing the needed means for obtaining the end in view. Upon graduation he entered the office of Attorney Stinchfield in Hallowell, Maine, and commenced reading law But it was necessary to live meanwhile. Law students in Elaine in those days were not better paid than in some parts of the country at the present time. So Mr. Stackpole found an opportunity in a school in Augusta, the capital of the state. This was an interesting and characteristic episode in his career. He took the school in the middle of the term, after the pupils had disposed of the teacher who commenced the year, by summarily pitching him out of doors. This state of affairs did not worry the young man who had broken and driven a yoke of yearling steers when he was but sixteen years old, and he went into the school determined, like Buck Fanshaw, to have order if he "had to lick every galoot in town." There was a fight, but the teacher staid the year out. The year 1859 found Mr. Stackpole reading law with T. H. Sweetzer at Lowell, Massachusetts. In June 1860, he was admitted to the bar at Concord, and practiced in Lowell until 1864, when he went to Boston and was admitted to practice in the United States circuit court. From Boston he went to Kansas City in 1869, and after two years of practice there went to Chicago, just in time to be burned out by the great fire. In 1883 he investigated the Northwest and finally settled in Lake Crystal. Since engaging in the practice of his profession at Lake Crystal Mr. Stackpole has been reasonably successful. He has taken little part in active political life, though he has been a life-long Republican, though now an independent. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. He was married to Miss Abbie Mott in 1867, and has two children living – A. J. Stackpole, Jr., and Webster Stackpole.

* * * * * W * * * * *


Edgar Weaver
Samuel B. Wilson


John A. Willard
Charles E. Wise


John Claggett Wise
Samuel D. Works







Blue Earth County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails