Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Carver County, Minnesota


Biographies


Julius Henry Ackermann
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Julius Henry Ackermann is deputy treasurer of the state of Minnesota. He resides temporarily in St. Paul, but his home is at Young America, Carver County. Mr. Ackermann is a native of Thuringia, where he was born at Muehlhausen, January 9, 1844. His father, Henry G. Ackermann, was a successful miller and land owner, who, when merely a boy of twelve, was compelled, on account of his father's illness, to take active management of the mill. In the year 1813, when the Russians drove back Napoleon across Germany, large crowds of Russians passed the mill at intervals for a period of several months. The mill being in an isolated situation was chosen as headquarters by the Russian officers, while the rest of the army were camped around the mill. These Russian soldiers appropriated every kind of personal property and provisions, and practically left the young miller destitute. But, being of a resolute disposition, he conducted the business with great diligence and perseverance, and for a period of fifty years was successful in his business operations. After losing his first wife he married Henrietta Henneberg, the mother of Julius Henry. The subject of this sketch was the youngest of a family of nine. He received a common school education and the same time received a business education from private tutors. In 1858, at the age of fourteen, he went into business as a clerk in a large wholesale and retail store in his native city. In 1862 he emigrated to the United States and first settled on a farm in Benton townships, Carver County, Minnesota. In 1864, in company with his brother, Christ, he engaged in mercantile business in the village of Young America. The following year he put up a steam flouring and saw mill. The next year, 1866, another brother, William, came over from Germany and entered into the partnership, under the firm name of Ackermann Bros. This firm continued in business until 1875, when it was dissolved and Julius formed a partnership with John Truwe, under the firm name of Ackermann & Co. They continued in the mercantile business until 1893, taking in as partners in the meantime, August F. Truwe and A. O. Malmgren. In 1893 the firm was changed to Truwe & Co., the milling business being continued under the old name of Ackermann Bros., who, in 1876, has established a branch in New York. In 1893 the mill was rebuilt and incorporated under the name of Ackermann Bros. Milling Co., who still continue the business. In 1895 Mr. Ackermann disposed of his interest in the store business, but continued his connection with the mill. Julius has been an active Republican ever since he came of age, and he always supported the Republican ticket with the exception of 1872, when he voted for Horace Greeley for president. I 1871 he was appointed postmaster of Young America and held that office until 1893. He was elected town clerk in 1870, and was re-elected each year until 1892. In 1895 he was appointed to the office of deputy state treasurer under August F. Koerner, state treasurer. Mr. Ackermann has been a member of the Pioneer Singing Society of Young America since 1862, and joined the Masonic order in 1870. In 1883 to 1885 he served his district as a member of the state senate, and was again sent to the lower house in 1889. He is now a member of the Republican state central committee and was sent as a delegate from Carver County to the Republican state convention in 1881, and has represented his county in that capacity in every Republican state convention since. He was married in 1886 to Paulini Goetze. They have three children, two sons and one daughter, all grown, the daughter married and the sons engaged in mercantile business.

Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 3; transcribed by FoFG mz

ACKERMANN, JULIUS HENRY, merchant, b. in Muehlhausen, Germany, Jan. 9, 1844; came to the United States in 1862, and, two years later settled in Carver county, Minn.; engaged in milling and mercantile pursuits in Young America; was a state senator in 1883-5; representative in the legislature, 1889, and deputy state treasurer, 1895.


John Anderson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ANDERSON John, Minneapolis. Res 3329 2d av S, office same. Lawyer and real estate. Born May 19, 1852 in Sweden, son of Andreas and Johanna (Swenson) Anderson. Came to America 1860 and located in Carver Co Minn. Married Mar 31, 1884 to Mollie P Haish. Attended public schools in Carver Co Minn 1861-64; law dept U of M 1892; admitted to bar in N D in 1895. Clerked in gen stores Carver and Blakely Minn 1866-71; Glencoe Minn 1872-75; member Anderson & Heinemann, gen merchants Glencoe and Norwood Minn 1876-77; salesman A H Reed & Co Glencoe 1878-80; member Anderson & Enerson and Anderson , Fridd & Co mercantile firms Valley City and Oriska N D 1881-87; Winterer & Anderson real estate and insurance Valley City N D 1888-92; same period dir and v pres First Nat Bank Valley City. Member Masonic fraternity, Knights Templar, Shrine, I O O F, and Congregational Church.


Pamphlet by Burns (Bjorn) Aslakson
Minnesota History Bulletin, Volume 2 by Theodore Christian Blegen, Minnesota Historical Society, 1917-1918 - Transcribed by AFOFG TK

A rare pamphlet of thirty-two pages containing a realistic narrative of experiences in Andersonville prison has been presented to the society by Mr. B. M. Aslakson of Chicago. It is entitled Ti Maaneders Fangenskab i Andersonville and was written by Burns (Bjorn) Aslakson, the father of the donor, who settled in Carver Countyin 1855 and in 1862 enlisted as a volunteer in Company H of the Ninth Minnesota Infantry. The donor states that the pamphlet was printed about thirty years ago by the Augsburg Publishing Company of Minneapolis. It contains an introductory note by Professor Sven Oftedal, who was at that time editor of Folkebladet, and who was a personal friend of the author and presumably edited the narrative.


Joseph Borer
Source: Past and Present of Platte County, Nebraska by G. W. Phillips, Chicago, 1915; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Joseph Borer owns a large farm on section 10, St. Bernard township, and is one of the prosperous agriculturists of Platte county. He was born in Carver county, Minnesota, August 9, 1866, a son of Joseph and Helena (Jeurisen) Borer, the former a native of Switzerland, who at an early age became a resident of Minnesota.

In 1880 he removed to St. Bernard township, Platte county, Nebraska, with his family and located on one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 10, for which he paid eighteen hundred dollars. Both he and his wife are deceased. They had five children, of whom Joseph is the third in order of birth.

Joseph Borer was educated in the common schools and early in life gained valuable training through assisting his father. The latter gave all of his sons a good start in life and the subject of this review has been very successful as an agriculturist. He now owns four hundred acres of excellent land on section 10, St. Bernard township, where he engages in general farming and raises high grade Duroc-Jersey hogs. He is practical and progressive and receives a good income from his land. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company of Lindsay and for many years has owned and operated a threshing outfit and corn-sheller, thus adding materially to his income.

On the 30th of April, 1889, Mr. Borer was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ramackers, a daughter of J. W. Ramaekers, Sr., to this union fifteen children have been born, as follows: Mary, the wife of William Kirzeder, a farmer of Madison county, this state; Lena, who is in a convent in Chicago; and Joseph A., Hubertina, Clara, Philip, Louis, Louise, Anton, Alphonse, Edward, Bernard, Angela, Lidwina and Leander, all at home.

Mr. Borer is a democrat but has never sought public office. He is a communicant of the St. Bernard Catholic church and contributes to its support and 'seeks to advance its welfare. For thirty-five years he has resided in this county and during that time has gained many loyal friends, who hold him in high regard because of his sterling worth.


Frank Joseph Brabec
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Dr. F. J. Brabec, of Perham, is by birth and education a Minnesota man. His father, F. Brabec, of Hutchinson, is the oldest established merchant of that place and is in comfortable circumstances. Frank was born at Watertown, Minnesota. His schooling was obtained at the Hutchinson public schools and the state university. At Hutchinson he had the advantage of the excellent system of graded and high schools which were brought up to their high standard through the efforts of Professor W. W. Pendergast, now State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Frank Brabec graduated from the university in the class of 1890, taking the degree of B. S. He at once entered the medical department and took his M. D. degree in 1893. While in the university he was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternity and he was also a member of Nu Sigma Nu medical fraternity. He secured additional medical training in St. Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul and Asbury Hospital in Minneapolis. For a time he was in the office of Dr. C. A. Wheaton, of St. Paul, to whom he feels indebted for his surgical training. Since settling in Perham, Dr. Brabec's work has been mostly surgical. He has taken a prominent place among the professional men of that part of the state. In politics he is a Democrat, and was chairman of the county convention of Otter Tail County in 1894. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the A. O. U. W. and Knights of Pythias. In 1894 Dr. Brabec was married to Miss Eliza Bedient, a daughter of Dr. J. Bedient, of Kasson, Minnesota. Mrs. Brabec died in June, 1895, leaving one child.


Cassius M. Buck
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Though comparatively but a young man as yet, Cassius M. Buck, cashier of the Security Bank at Faribault, is, through his strict fidelity to those principles which go to make up business success, one of the most successful bankers in the North Star state, having assisted in the organization of four different banks, and with all of which he is still connected. He was born June 19, 1859, at Greenwood, Wright County, Minnesota, the son of William P. Buck and Margaret Cramer (Buck.) William P. Buck was born in Ohio, and was by occupation a teacher, ranking high in that profession. He came to Minnesota in 1854. At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted in Company D. First Battalion of Minnesota infantry, and served throughout the war. He was discharged at Jeffersonville, Indiana, and mustered out with his company at Fort Snelling, July 25, 1865; but, having contracted a fever in front of Richmond, Virginia, he succumbed to it at Fort Snelling before reaching home. His wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, was born in Western Pennsylvania, but moved with her parents, when quite young, to Ohio. Cassius received his early education in the common school at Watertown, Minnesota, and in the graded school at Howard Lake. When but twelve years of age he commenced clerking in the general store of his step-father, J. F. Pearson, continuing at this occupation for six years, with the exception of our months each year when he attended school. In the spring of 1880 he formed a partnership with Mr. Pearson and engaged in the business of shipping horses from Indiana and Iowa to Minnesota and selling them. This line of trade he followed until the fall of 1882, when he purchased the hardware business of Smith Bros. & Co., at Howard Lake, and conducted the business for nine years, it having become the largest hardware house in Wright county. In the fall of 1885, in connection with Lemuel McGrew, Mr. Buck purchased the Bank of Howard Lake (a private bank), which they still own. Four years later Mr. Buck organized the Bank of Dassel, now a state bank, and has been its president since its organization. In the fall of 1893 he assisted in organizing the State Bank of Annandale, and has been president of it since its organization. In July, 1894, Mr. Buck went to Faribault and was the principal organizer of the Security Bank of that city. He was elected its cashier, which position he has held since the organization of the bank. Mr. Buck has been very successful in his bank investment, all the banks with which he is connected having been a success from the time of their organization. He is also the owner of a number of good farms in Wright County. He has always been a Republican in politics, and in 188 and 1890 was congressional committeman for Wright County. On May 9, 19894, he was married to Sarah E. Tolerton, daughter of James D. Tolerton, of Salem, Ohio.


John Dols
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DOLS John, Chaska. Furniture. Born Sept 5, 1854 in Limberg Holland, son of Lambert and Annie (Feudretchen) Dols. Married May 7, 1878 to Elizabeth Van Sloun. Educated in public schools of Minnesota. Came to Carver county 1862 and engaged in carpentry trade until 1874; entered the furniture business in partnership with Martin Van Sloun and continued 2 years; now in business alone. City alderman 4 years.


Frederick Du Toit
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

DU TOIT Frederick E, Chaska. Printer and publisher. Born 1846 in Lewis county N Y. Moved to Minn 1856 and has been prominently identified with public affairs for many years; member of legislature 1873-74; sheriff of Carver county 21 years; has been member of State Senate 1898 to date. Served 4 years in the Civil War.


Julius Effertz
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

EFFERTZ Julius S, Belle Plaine. Banker. Born Dec 4, 1880 in Norwood Minn, son of Peter and Lizzie Effertz. Educated in graded schools Norwood Minn. Bookkeeper Farmers State Bank Waconia Minn 18 months; bkpr Bank of Echo Minn 18 months; asst cashr State Bank of Hector Minn 3 years; cashr State Bank Belle Plaine 1906 to date.


Henry Ertz
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

ERTZ Henry A, St Paul. Res 208 Rondo, office 24 E 3d. Produce commission. Born June 13, 1865 in Carver county Minn, son of Mathias and Barbara (Hering) Ertz. Educated in public schools; graduated from St John's College 1884. Engaged as clk in gen store 1884-85; with L Eisenmenger Meat Co 1885-91; bkpr Armour Packing Co 1891-94; in produce commission business for self 1894-1906.


Joseph Ess
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

ESS Joseph, Chaska. Merchant. Born Nov 19, 1838 in Bavaria Germany, son of Michael and Genevieve (Crocker) Ess. Married Nov 16, 1866 to Hubertina Finken. Attended the public schools in N Y. apprentice to Dubuque Ia wagon maker 1860-61; enlisted as private in 27th Iowa Infantry Vol and served until close of Civil War; moved to Chaska and worked at trade 1865; started business for self 1886; built Chaska Foundry and Machine Shop; conducted same 10 years; now engaged in coal and farm implement business. City treas Chaska 1905.


G. A. Gatz
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Gatz G A, Chaska. Public official. Born April 22, 1867 in Carver county Minn, son of Gottlieb and Caroline (Stahlke) Gatz. Married June 1890 to Anna Mueller. Educated in public schools Carver county and high school Glencoe Minn. Engaged in hotel business Mayer Minn 18890-95; then bought wheat for state elevator 18890-1900; in flour mill 1900-1903; county sheriff 1903 to date. Member of School Board Mayer Minn; village clk Mayer 1898-1902. Member Masonic fraternity and I O O F.


C. H. Gibson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Gibson C H, Chaska. Dentist. Born March 1, 1871 in Iowa Falls Ia, son of Geo W and Mary (Odgers) Gibson. Married June 20 1898 to Elma Zetterberg. Graduated from Waseca (Minn) High school and from dental dept State Univ of Iowa DD S 1890; opened office in Chaska and has practiced dentistry to date. Elected mayor of Chaska 1907. Member Masonic fraternity.


John Glaeser
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Glaeser John, Chaska. Judge of probate. Born Feb 27, 1859 in Dodge county Wis, son of Henry and Frances (Winniga) Glaeser. Married May 11, 1883 to Martha Schweikert. Educated in public schools of Minn. Engaged in farming Carver county; appointed judge of probate by Gov Van Sant in 1903 and elected to fill the office to date. Pres Young American-Germania Mutual Fire Ins Co and German Mutual Store Ins co of Norwood Minn. County comnr 4 years.


Darwin Scott Hall
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HALL Darwin Scott, Renville. Farmer, journalist. Born 1844 in Wheatland, Kenosha county Wis; moved to Minn 1866; county auditor Renville 1869-72; clk of district court 1873-77; founder and editor for many years of Renville Times; member of legislature 1876; register of U S Land Office at Benton Minn 1878-80; elected to State Senate 1886; to U S House of Representatives 1888; appointed by Pres Harrison chairman of Chippewa Indian Commission 1891; delegate to Nat Republican Convention Minneapolis 1892; member of State Senate 1877. Served in 42d Wis Vol lnf in Civil War.


William H. Harrier
HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY MINNESOTA Vol. 1, by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge Published by H. C. Cooper Jr, & Co., Chicago (1916) Submitted by Veneta McKinney

WILLIAM M. HARRIER was born in Lesueur county, Minnesota, September 5, 1861, son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Tolan) Harrier. Alexander was a native of Ohio and of English and German ancestry and his wife was of Irish descent. He came to Minnesota before the Civil war and located in Lesueur county, where he made his home until his death in 1903 at the age of sixty-two years. His wife died seven weeks later at the age of fifty-eight years. There were seven children : William, Mary (deceased), Margaret, Emma, James, Alexander and Elizabeth. William Harrier was the oldest of the children and received his early education in the district school. At the age of nineteen years he began working for himself and in 1889 moved to Renville county and located in Preston Lake township in section 5, obtaining a tract of 160 acres of wild prairie land. Here he built a frame house and a frame barn with straw roof. He had two cows and $2.50 in cash. He lived on this place for eighteen years and built good buildings, then he moved to his present place, where he secured a tract of 240 acres. He keeps a good grade of stock. Mr. Harrier was married November, 1887, to Mamie Bankson born in Belleplaine, Minnesota, January 20, 1860, daughter of Andrew and Mary Bankson, both natives of Sweden, who came to the United States in 1856 by sailing vessel, being three months on the ocean, bringing with them their three children : Lewis, Katie and August. They came to Carver county and located on a farm, where they lived for a number of years, their first home being a log house with a bark roof. The following children were born in Minnesota: Charlie, Mamie, Frank, Delpha, Enoch, Emil and Waltimer. The father was a veteran of the Civil war and took part in the Indian campaign and was wounded at Gettysburg. He died at Gaylord, Minnesota, twenty years ago, at the age of seventy-five years. His wife died thirty years ago at the age of fifty-three years. Mr. and Mrs. William Harrier have had seven children, six of whom are living: Edward, at Buffalo Lake; Ida, now living in Canada: Nellie, living at Buffalo Lake ; Cora, living at Preston Lake ; Bert, at Preston Lake: Walter, at home and one child who died in infancy.


Thomas Andrew Holmes
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 340; transcribed by FoFG mz

Holmes, Thomas Andrew, b. in Bergerstown, Pa., March 4, 1804; d. in Culman, Ala., July 2, 1888. He established an Indian trading post in 1839 at Fountain City, and in 1849 removed to Sauk Rapids; was a member of the first territorial legislature; founded the towns of Shakopee and Chaska in 1851.


Bowman C. McEwen
HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY MINNESOTA Vol. 1, by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge Published by H. C. Cooper Jr, & Co., Chicago (1916) Submitted by Veneta McKinney

BOWMAN C. MCEWEN, a well known farmer of Boon Lake township, received his early education in the district schools and attended the Union school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He enlisted, IS64, ill Company B, First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, and was sent south to Chattanooga, Tennessee, being discharged at the end of the war. He returned to Hutchinson and remained there until his father moved to Renville county, when he obtained preemption claim of 160 acres in section 31, Boon Lake township. Here he built a claim shanty and remained for the next eighteen years. He used the oxen to break up the land and marketed at Hutchinson and Glencoe. His first barn was a rude straw structure, which has been replaced by a modern basement barn, 114 by 52 feet. When they began farming he had one cow and a yoke of oxen. He has now large herds of cattle, specializing in the Hereford breed. He also raises Hamiltonian horses and Chester White hogs. He has built a modern steam heated house and made many other improvements, Mr. McEwen has been a member of the board of supervisors of the township for several years and for eleven years has been the treasurer of school district No. 57, which he helped organize, hauling the first lumber for the school house. From 1901 to 1912 he served on the county board as county commissioner and was a great advocate of drainage and good roads. He was a candidate for representative on the county option platform and defeated. He is of the Republican party and has served on the councils and convention boards of that party. In April, 1879, Mr. McEwen was married to Josie Byhoffer, born in Carver county, daughter of Theodore and Catherine (Bowman) Byhoffer, early pioneers of that county who came to Minneapolis in 1851, Mr. Byhoffer was a carpenter and was offered a lot in what is now the heart of Minneapolis in payment for work but refused it. He located as a farmer in Carver county and later moved to Glencoe, where he secured a farm three miles northwest of Glencoe. Here he lived until his death in 1896 at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died March, 1911, at the age of ninety-one years. They had four boys and four girls: Helen, John. Kate, Charles, Theodore, Josie, Francis and David. Mr. and Mrs. McEwen have two children : Dwight manages the home place, which now consists of a half section of farming land. Sarah is now Mrs. M. O. Ramsland, of Saskatchewan, Canada, and has three children : Adella, Lenore and Maxwell.


Hermann Muehlenberg
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Franz Otto Hermann Ehrenfried Muehlberg is Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota, having been appointed to that office by Gov. Nelson, February 1, 1893. His present residence is St. Paul, Minnesota. His father, Frederick Muehlberg, was a merchant in the village of Gross Floethe, Hanover, Germany, where the subject of this sketch was born, May 3, 1833. His mother's name was Dorethea Schroeter. His ancestors were, so far as known, ministers of the Lutheran church, except his father, who, failing to get a position in the army on account of defective hearing, engaged in commercial pursuits. Nicholas Melchior Muehlberg, the great-great-grandfather of Hermann, who often wrote his name Muehlenberg, was a native of Einbeck, Hanover, and through this line of descent the subject of this sketch was a distant relative of Henry Melchior Muehlenberg, who came to America in 1742, and also of his son, John Peter Gabriel Muehlenberg, who was known as General Peter Muehlenberg, who served with distinction in the Revolutionary war. The subject of this sketch came with his father's family to America in 1846 and settled at St. Louis. He had received a common school education in the old country, and at St. Louis learned the printer's trade. In 1851 he removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1856 to Carver County, Minnesota. He was principally engaged in surveying, and did a great deal of government land surveying in the southwestern part of the state. During the winter of 1861 and 1862 he taught the public school at Waconia, Minnesota, and while thus employed, on February 19, enlisted as a private in Company E, Fifth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. April 2, he was appointed sergeant, and April 30, sergeant-major of the regiment. In this capacity he served till May 4, 1863, when he was appointed to the office of second lieutenant of Company D, of the same regiment. Two days later he was commissioned captain of the same company. He participated with his regiment in the battles of Farmington, Corinth, Iuka, Vicksburg, Pleasant Hill, Nashville and numerous other engagements. He was honorably discharged from the service while in a hospital at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, in July, 1865. He then returned to Carver County, Minnesota, and resumed his former occupation. In 1878 Mr. Muehlberg became the editor of a Republican German newspaper, called the "Pionier am Wisconsin," at Sauk City, Wisconsin. In 1881 he returned to Carver County and purchased the Carver Free Press, which he edited. He was several times elected county surveyor, served two terms as chairman of the board of county commissioners, and held other offices of trust. In 1892 the Republicans nominated him for the legislature, but the district was strongly Democratic and he was defeated by a small majority. He received his appointment as adjutant-general February 1, 1893, and has held that position ever since, being re-appointed by Gov. Clough when he succeeded Gov. Nelson. Mr. Muehlberg is a member of the William R. Baxter Post, G. A. R., at Chaska, and was instrumental in organizing three G. A. R. posts in his county. It was due to his patriotism that a soldiers' monument was erected at Waconia in 1891, the first county soldiers' monument in the state. He is a member of the Loyal Legion, and also of the A. O. U. W. While at Dubuque, Iowa, he married Clara Freese, and has six children, Albert, Clara, Hermann, Dora, Elsie and Herma.


Otto Albert Rhode
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Born in Culdrum township, April 18, 1872, Otto Albert Rhode, manager of the elevator owned by the Monarch Elevator Company, of Swanville, for several years, is the son of William Paul and Pauline (Newman) Rhode.

Mr. Rhode's father was born in Berlin, Germany, in 1832, and was a timber overseer for the government until he came to America in 1857. After landing in New York, he came to Carver county, Minnesota, and was married a short time before the Civil War to Pauline Newman, who was born in Berlin, Germany, in 1842, and who was educated in her native land. She came to America in 1857 with her parents, who settled in Carver county and there she met William P. Rhode.

Three years after the marriage of William P. and Pauline (Newman) Rhode, the Civil War broke out and Mr. Rhode enlisted in the Fifth Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving in Companies B, I and J. He was one of the thirty-six members of the regiment who survived the ravages of death and disease during the war. After the war, he came back to Morrison county and homesteaded a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in section 6 of Culdrum township. During the war, his wife had remained at home. The Indians massacred many of the whites during the war, but Mrs. Rhode was protected by soldiers, who arrived just before the Indians. After coming to Morrison county and settling on their homestead farm, Mr. and Mrs. Rhode built a log house and raised their first crop on ground which Mr. Rhode spaded by hand. Subsequently, he had about forty-five acres under cultivation and in 1882, built a commodious house, where he lived until his death in 1891. At one time he owned forty acres of land where Swanville is now situated, but sold the land to John A. Burkey and N. M. Williams, who platted the town.

William P. and Pauline (Newman) Rhode were the parents of five children, namely: Ida died early in life; Pauline married Anthony Burnell, who is engaged in the livery business at Browns Valley, Minnesota; Matilda is the wife of William Buelaw, who works in the implement store of William Tramps, of Swanville; William, a resident of Elk River, Minnesota, is a telegraph operator for the Northern Pacific railroad, a position which he has held for the past twenty-six years; and Otto A. The late William P. Rhode was a Republican in politics and for many years held the office of township clerk.

Otto A. Rhode was educated in a log school house in Swanville township. His father died when he was only nineteen years old, but he took charge of the farm and managed it for several years until he was twenty-seven. His mother then sold the farm to John Wendt. The family then moved to Swanville and here Mr. Rhode conducted a saloon for two years. He worked at various positions, especially in the roundhouse for the Soo railroad for three months. He made one trip west but in 1904 returned to Swanville and was elected marshal, a position which he held for seven years. After that Mr. Rhode took charge of the elevator for the Monarch Elevator Company, of Swanville and still holds this position.

In 1900 Otto A. Rhode was married to Alma Dennin, a native of Morrison county and the daughter of Albert Dennin. Mr. and Mrs. Rhode have two children, Lloyd Otto and Norman William.

Mr. Rhode is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is an independent voter, and is at present a member of the city council.


Friend L. Williams
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks Minnesota 1907, R.L. Polk & Co. St. Paul, MN; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

WILLIAMS Friend L, Watertown. Educator. Born Aug 30, 1872 in Salesville O, son of Alvin and Nancy E (Sherman) Williams. Graduated from Quaker City (Ohio) High School 1893; Muskingum (Ohio) College 1896. Moved to Minn 1896 and taught school in Smith Lake until 1898; prin Watertown School 1898-1902; now serving 3d term as supt of schools of Carver county. Mngr for 2 years and now pres Watertown Telephone Co.


Henry Zimmerman
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks Minnesota 1907, R.L. Polk & Co. St. Paul, MN; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

ZIMMERMAN Henry, Chaska. Public official. Born Aug 16, 1866 in Carver county Minn, son of Frederick and Barbara (Stadel) Zimmerman. Married Sept 6, 1898 to Olga Zierman. Educated in Chaska public schools. Farmed until 1886; clerk in the mercantile business 1886-96; clerk in county auditor's office 1896-1900; elected county treasurer in 1904 and has served to date.


Carver County Home Page

Visit Our National Page:
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails