Cottonwood County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy


George E. Chapman
Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) February 18, 1903; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

CHICAGO, Feb. 17.-George E. Chapman, a prominent live stock shipper of Westbrook,, Minn., died suddenly today in the office of Wood Bros., commission merchants at the stock yards. Heart failure is supposed to have been the cause of death. Chapman arrived in the city early today with three carloads of sheep, and was taken sick while at the yards.

J. H. Carr
Source: Duluth News Tribune (7 Aug. 1909) submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy BZ

ALBORN, Aug. 6. - The funeral services for J. H. Carr, whose sudden death was shock to the entire community well as to his family, were held Wednesday at the residence. Many friends of the county were present.
Mr. Carr and his family moved here seven years ago from Windom Minn. He left a widow and two children, Homer and Pearl.
Rev. Mr. Stenberg, of Duluth, conducted the funeral services. Interment was in the Alborn cemetery.

Chris Christensen
Source: Duluth News Tribune (28 Apr. 1907) submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy BZ

Sufferer From Heart Disease Dies Returning From Consultation.
MANKATO, Minn., April 27. - Chris Christensen, a farmer residing five miles from Storden, near Windom fell dead on the platform of the union depot at noon while returning from Rochester to his home. He had been a sufferer tor several years from heart disease, and physicians whom he consulted gave him no hope. As a lost chance he visited the Doctors Mayo at Rochester yesterday, but was informed by them that they could do nothing for him and advised him to return home at once. He started for home this morning, although very weak, and upon reaching Mankato was assisted by his wife and a stranger to alight from the train in order to take another train for home. He had hardly walked half a dozen steps on the platform when he sank down and expired. He was forty-seven years of ago and leaves six children. The remains were taken to Storden.

Christian Christianson
Source: Minneapolis Journal (30 Mar. 1897) submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy BZ

Old Soldier Dies At Cottonwood
Cottonwood, Minn. March 30 Christian Christianson, one of the oldest settlers of this county and an old soldier, died last night. Mr. Christianson, has three daughters living in Minneapolis. He leaves quite a large estate to be divided among his children.

Sever Bernt Gordon
Source: West Sentinel (15 Aug. 1963) contributed by Sylvia Nelson (family member) and transcribed by Marla Zwakman

Sever Bernt Gordon was born in Primrose, Wis., April 19, 1873 to parents Knudt O. and Bertha Gordon.

He lived in Wisconsin until the age of 17 when he moved with his family to Mayville, N. D., where they resided until he was 24 years old. He then moved to Depew, Iowa where the family farmed.

Mr. Gordon married Tillie Amanda Rindy February 1903. Six children were born to this union. Viola, Harold, Edward, Helen (Mrs. Walter Gerber), Homer and Eleanor (Mrs. Basil Heath). His wife Tillie passed away Aug. 23, 1930 and was laid to rest at Westbrook. Viola, the eldest daughter, passed away Sept. 26, 1944.

Most of his life was spent farming in Iowa and Minnesota. On July 7, 1938 he was married to Jeromita Simmons and they farmed northeast of Westbrook until his retirement, when they sold the farm and moved into Westbrook.

He leaves to mourn his wife, Jeromita; five children, one stepdaughter, one sister, Mrs. Wm. Gisleson of Charles City, Iowa; one brother, Dr. H. Truman Gordon of Wausau, Wis.; 24 grandchildren, six great grandchildren and a host of relatives and friends.

He passed away Aug. 10, 1963 at the Revere Rest home at the age of 90 years, 3 months and 23 days.

Arlo Johnson
Source: Morning Star (Rockford, IL) Wednesday, June 13, 1945; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Johnson, 216 Carbaugh avenue, were notified yesterday by the war department that their son, Pfc, Arlo W. Johnson, 25, died April 30 of wounds received two days earlier while fighting with the infantry on Okinawa. The official telegram informing the Johnsons of their son's death was the first word they received that he had been even injured.

A former employe of the Rockford Screw Products company, Pfc. Johnson was inducted in July, 1944, and went overseas last February after a short furlough at home. He was born March 4, 1920 at Storden, Minn.

Surviving, besides his parents, are his widow, Opal, and two sons, Roger, 3, and Ronald, 4, living with her parents at Westbrook, Minn.; four sisters, Mrs. Oliver Oleson, Storden, Minn., Mrs. Ed Fenrud and Mrs. James McGeary, both of Minneapolis, and Mrs. Arthur Zimmerman, residing here at the Carbaugh avenue address; and one brother, Arnold Johnson, Parkers Prairie, Minn.

Claudius Andrew La Lone
[Source: The Weekly Times-Record (Valley City, ND) June 21, 1917] mkk
North Dakota's First Soldier GIves Up Life
Minneapolis, June 17. - The body of Claudius Andrew La Lone, 17 year old Minneapolis boy who was badly burned and fatally exposed fighting fire on the interned German line Frederick der Grosse, in the Brooklyn navy yards, will arrive in Minneapolis tomorrow at 10 a. m., accompanied by a military guard of honor. He died on Wednesday, after a fight for life of more than a month.

Claudius La Lone was a junior in the Central high school when he enlisted last September. As he was not 17 years old at that time, he had to get the permission of his mother, Mrs. P. M. Jacobson, Devils Lake, N. D., to go into the service. He was the first man to enlist from North Dakota and the first one to come back. He entered the radio service and was in charge of that work on the interned liner when it caught fire on May 8. The details of this fire have never been made public.

He will be buried at Windom, Minn., with military honors Tuesday at 2 p. m.

The body will lie in state while in Minneapolis at the Landis undertaking chapel, Nicollet avenue and Grant street tomorrow. Students of the Emerson school, of which he was a graduate, and of the Central high school will view the body en masse as a mark of honor for the friend who has given his life.

Mrs. Colben Jacobson, 3836 Sixteenth avenue S., the grandmother of the boy, and a sister, Genevieve La Lone, of Devils Lake, N. D., survive him, besides the mother.

Evangeline Morris
Source: Omaha World Herald (Omaha, NE) Thursday, September 17, 1936; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Man Hurt in Crash is Reported Better.
Leroy Marsh, 3172 Dodge street, injured seriously in an auto accident in Council Bluffs early Wednesday morning in which Miss Evangeline Morris of Council Bluffs was hurt fatally, was reported in satisfactory condition at mercy hospital Wednesday night. He suffered a skull fracture, chest injuries and severe cuts when the car he was driving collided head-on with a street car near South First and Bloomer streets. Although Marsh had recovered consciousness his condition still was such that he was not questioned as to the cause of the accident.

Marsh is married (his wife is an instructor at the Misner dramatic school) and has a 10-year-old son. Friends of Miss Morris, who was widely known in Council Bluffs, said they had never heard of Marsh until after the accident. He is paymaster for the Union Construction company, which has the contract for Council Bluffs Indian creek control project. Miss Morris, a graduate of Abraham Lincoln High school, was treasurer of Iota chapter of Beta Sigma Pi and a member of Seventh Avenue Baptist church. She had been employed for 10 years as a clerk at the Lewis & Emarine Stationery company in the Bluffs.

Surviving Miss Morris are her mother, Mrs. Trina Morris, and two sisters, Myrna and Treva.

Funeral services will be held at 8 o'clock tonight at the Woodring chapel, and the body will be sent to Storden, Minn., for burial.

Iver Nelson
Source: Minneapolis Journal (June 22, 1895) submitted by Dena Whitesell

Cottonwood, Minn., June 22 - Iver Nelson, aged 80, died at his home, near this place, last night. He was one of the pioneers of this county, a well-to-do farmer and an old soldier of the civil war.

Harry Olson
Source: Omaha World Herald (Omaha, NE) Monday, December 24, 1928; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Head of Young Farmer Cut Off as Fly Wheel Breaks.

Special Dispatch to The World Herald.
Storden, Minn., Dec. 23.-Harry Olson, 28, was decapitated Saturday evening while sawing wood at the farm home of his father, when a saw fly wheel burst from high speed. A piece cut off his head and another piece injured his brother Marvin, 12, taking off his arm.

Ellsworth M. Peterson
Source: Aberdeen Daily News (Aberdeen, SD) Saturday, April 14, 1934; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Funeral services for Ellsworth M. Peterson who passed away Thursday from injuries received in a car accident early Sunday morning were conducted Friday morning from the Wilson funeral home with Rev. W. F. Dickinson officiating.

The body was shipped yesterday afternoon to Westbrook, Minn., where short services will be held. Burial will be at Storden, Minn.

Elizabeth Rupp
Source: The Bismarck Tribune (ND) April 12, 1912; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Mrs. Elizabeth Rupp, of Baldwin died in this city at 7 o'clock Thursday evening, of Brights disease, from which she has been suffering for several months past. Mrs. Rupp was 55 years of age at the time of her death. There were present at her death bed, her husband, two daughters, Katie and Olga, and a son in law, Herman Kikal.

The family returned to Baldwin Friday morning, and the remains will be shipped north Saturday morning. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Baldwin church, and interment will be made at the Baldwin cemetery.

Elizabeth Rupp was born in Austria and was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Rupp. She was married in 1880 at her Austrian home to John Rupp, and the same year she and her husband came to America, settling on a homestead at Westbrook, Minn., where they resided for about 23 years. Ten years ago they moved to Baldwin, North Dakota, where they have made their home ever since. Mrs. Rupp was a life long member of the Mennonite church. She is survived by her mother, Mrs. Jacob Rupp, her Husband John Rupp, and four daughters, Mrs. Claus Garner, Mrs. John Monroe, and Misses Katie and Olga Rupp.

George Springer
Source: Wyoming State Tribune (Cheyenne, WY) Saturday, December 11, 1920; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Had not been Well for Five Years and Was Confined to Bed for Last Several Months-New Pastor at Church

Carpenter, Wyo., Dec. 11-Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Montgomery were here from Purcell, Colo. Last week to attend the funeral services of Mrs. Montgomery's brother, George Springer.

George, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Springer, passed away at the family home, aged a little over thirteen years. His birthplace was Storden, Minn., and when he was one year old his parents moved to the farm where they now reside. Since about five years ago, when he was obliged to submit to the mastoid operation, George's health has not been good, although he was able to attend school quite regularly until November of last year. At that time he was taken seriously ill with creeping paralysis, and in spite of the efforts of skilled physicians, he gradually failed, and for the last seven months of his life was confined to his bed. During most of that time his eyes were affected so that he was unable to see, but to the last his mind remained clear and in all his afflictions he was a most patient sufferer and very appreciative of the loving care of his family and friends. He realized that he could not recover and several times expressed to his mother who was almost constantly at his bedside, the desire to be called to the heavenly home and his faith that Jesus would there make him well again.

The parents, four brothers and four sisters are left to mourn his loss. Funeral services were held on Friday afternoon at the Methodist Episcopal, conducted by Rev. L. D. Christy and interment was in the Carpenter cemetery. The large number present at the services and the many beautiful flowers showed the love felt for George, and the sympathy of the community with the sorrowing family.

J. W. Tierney
Source: The Jeffers Review (Thursday, Nov. 9, 1911) submitted by Robert Tierney

Death of J. W. Tierney
One of Jeffers Oldest Settlers Succumbs After Brief Illness

Shortly after the noon hour Saturday, this community was greatly saddened to learn of the death of J. W. Tierney, who passed away after an illness of short duration, with enlargement of the liver and other complications. Only about two weeks ago he was taken sick, and since then he had been gradually growing weaker, and it was thought by many that he could not recover.

James Walter Tierney was born in Nevada, Ill., Sept. 28, 1867, and died at his home in Jeffers Saturday Nov. 4, 1911, being of the age of 44 years, 1 month and seven days.

He lived with his parents at Nevada, Ill., until 1882 when the family moved to Remsen, Iowa. Here he lived until January 1900 when he moved to Jeffers. He was engaged in the saloon business here until a few years ago when he started buying stock and dealing in land. Mr. Tierney was a successful business man and showed his patriotism to the town in which he lived by taking an active part in any enterprise that was of benefit to the town and community. He was a friend of all, and would never hesitate to lend a helping hand to anyone in need.

On Nov. 28th, 1905 he was married at Currie, Minn. to Miss Helen Shaw of Jeffers. To this happy union two children were born, Lawrence being the oldest and Clarence a little baby only several weeks old. It is indeed a sad blow to the young wife, for, besides the deep grief of losing a loving husband and helpmate, she will have to bear the cares of governing a household alone, and caring for the little children, who are to (sic) young to realize what it means to have their father taken from them.

Mr. Tierney was a faithful member of the Catholic Church, and the services were held in that church in Jeffers at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning. Solemn High Mass was held and Father Henekes was assisted in officiating by Father Jagen of Heron Lake and Father Cavanaugh of Currie. The church was crowded to its utmost capacity and large numbers, who could not get in, collected on the church grounds, such was the esteem in which he was held.

After the services here, the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery near that place.

Besides the wife and two children, he is survived by two sisters and one brother, namely: Mrs. M. F. Dunn, of Cherokee, Iowa, Miss S. D. Tierney of Rapids City, S. D. and J. A. Tierney, of Remsen, Iowa. The Review is joined by all in extending sympathy to the bereaved ones.

*** Note: James W. Tierney was my great-grandfather. He was buried in Saint Francis Xavier Cemetery. - Robert Tierney

Mary Yanke [Jahnke]
Source: New Ulm Review (MN) October 26, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

The sad intelligence of the death of Miss Mary Yanke was received in this city last Thursday. Miss Yanke had just started to teach school for the winter term at Crane Lake, St. Louis Co. about a week ago when she took sick with her former ailment, stomach trouble. She was immediately taken from her boarding place in her school district on Wednesday of last week to a hospital in Tower, on Lake Vermillion, where she died Thursday, the following day. Her parents living at Westbrook, Minn., were immediately notified and the remains shipped to that place for burial, which occurred Sunday from the Westbrook Lutheran church, interment being made in the Rose Hill cemetery.

Deceased was born July 23, 1866, at Chicago, Ill., and came to Minnesota with her parents a few years later who settled on what is now known as the Friederich farm across the river. Later on they moved to Westbrook. When 17 years old she began teaching school which profession she followed up to the time of her death. About six years ago she was engaged to teach in the New Ulm schools, taking charge of the 7th and 8th grades in the Union building, later on being principal in the Washington school.

She is survived by her parents Mr. and Mrs. Aug. Yanke, four sisters and two brothers and Miss Hattie Yanke and Herman Yanke of this city, cousins.

Miss Yanke was a splendid teacher and very much liked by all who knew her. She had many friends in this city, who deeply mourn her untimely death. We offer our warmest sympathy to the sorrowing family.

H. M. Yarger
Source: Morning Star (Rockford, IL) Friday, April 12, 1929; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Lena, April 11.-H. M. Yarger, 66 years old, and since his infancy a resident of Lena, died Wednesday night after a lingering illness.

He was born in Jacksonville, Pa., the son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Yarger, and after coming west with his parents lived for several years in Lancaster township, near Freeport. He married Miss Julia A. Gearhart, of Winslow, Ill., who survives, as does a son, Ralph M. Yarger, resident of Lena. The following brothers and sister also survive: Frank R. Yarger, Marysville, Kans.; Thomas M. Yarger, Storden, Minn.; Mrs. George Miller, Freeport, Ill.
Mr. Yarger was a buyer of horses for the big city markets for many years and was known throughout northwestern Illinois. He was a member of the Evangelical church and of the Mystic Workers.

Ralph P. Yates
Source: Duluth News Tribune (16 Nov. 1918) submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy BZ

CHISHOLM, Nov. 15 - Ralph P. Yates, the 5-year-old son of Dr. and Mrs. C. F. Yates of 218 Fourth avenue, passed away this morning at his home. The remains will be shipped to Windom Minn., tomorrow for burial.

William W. Zuel
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 892; transcribed by FoFG mz

ZUEL, WILLIAM W. farmer, b. in Fulton county, N. Y., Aug. 25, 1842; served in the 64th Illinois Regt. during the civil war, attaining the rank of captain; came to Minnesota in 1865, and settled on a claim in Springfield, Cottonwood county, in 1871.

Cottonwood County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails