Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Crow Wing County, Minnesota


Biographies

Solomon Flagg Alderman
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 7; transcribed by FoFG mz

ALDERMAN, SOLOMON FLAGG, lawyer, b. in East Granby, Conn., in 1862;
came to Minnesota in 1883; settled in Brainerd; was clerk of the district
court in Crow Wing county ten years, county attorney three years, and a state senator, 1907-9.


Albert Angel
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ANGEL Albert, Brainerd. Merchant. Born Feb 20, 1862 in England, son of Ephraim and Harret (Fry) Angel. Married in June 1885 to Margery A Hedden. Educated in Taunton (now West Lynn) College England. Moved to Brainerd and was employed in N P R R shops 1882-83; engaged in grocery business under firm name of Childs & Angel 1883-86; continued alone until 1905 when he engaged in whol flour, feed and grocery business. Senior member Brainerd rick Co.


Rudolph A. Beise
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill

BEISE Rudolph A, Brainerd. Physician and surgeon (R). Born March 30, 1877 in Blue Earth county Minn, son of August and Sophia (Ladder) Beise. Married May 28, 1902 to Minnie A Keller. Graduated from Mankato High School 1897 and Rush Medical College Chicago 1901. After graduation engaged in practice of his profession in Fergus Falls 1 year; moved to Brainerd and has continued to practice to date. County physician Crow Wing county 4 years; chairman Board of Health of Brainerd. Member Upper Mississippi Valley Medical Society and Minn State Medical Society; Brainerd Commercial Club; B P O E; K of P and M W A.


James S. Camp
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

CAMP James S, Brainerd. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Dec 8, 1855 in Dixon, Lee county Illinois, son of J L and Mary H camp. Educated in public school Dixon Ill; Knox Academy Galesburg Ill; Cornell Univ Ithaca N Y; Rush Medical College Chicago Ill 1878. Practiced medicine in Dakota from 1878-84; physician to Standing Rock Agency; resigned 1883 and located in Brainerd 1884; established the Lumberman’s Hospital 1891; sold hospital to Sisters of St Joseph 1902; has been in active practice in Brainerd to date. Member American Medical Assn; Minn State Medical Society; U S Historical and U S Geographical societies.


John Carman
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

CARMAN John Brainerd, Detroit. Physician (R). Born July 4, 1855 in Iroquois Ont, son of John A and Sarah A (Bailey) Carman. Married Jan 10, 1877 to Alice J Coons. Educated in public and high schools Iroquois Ont; Albert Univ Belleville Ont; graduated from McGill Univ Montreal 1879. Located in Detroit same year and has been engaged in practice to date. Pres Carman’s Pharmacy Co. Member State and County Medical societies.


Dan Malachi Clark
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

CLARK Dan Malachi. Brainerd. Office 79 E 3d st St Paul. Commission merchant. Born Nov 7, 1852 in Albany N Y son of MalachI and Jane (Welch) Clark. Married in 1890 to Rose Fasching. Educated in public schools Hastings Minn. Moved to Brainerd and engaged in gen merchandise business; v pres Mulrooney, Ryan & Clark produce commission merchants St Paul. Member K of C and A O H.


William Henry Cleary
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

CLEARY William Henry. Brainerd. Merchant. Born April 5, 1867 in Columbus Ind. Son of Patrick and Bridget (Navin) Cleary. Married Oct 22, 1895 to Catherine McGrath. Educated in St Michael’s School Stillwater and St Mary’s School St Paul. Traveled for McCormick-Behnke Co St Paul for 10 years; engaged in whol grocery business 1901 to date. As pres and gen mngr of the Brainerd Grocery Co. Member B P O E.


Henry I. Cohen
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

COHEN Henry I. Brainerd. Gen insurance, real estate and loans. Born Sept 10, 1857 in Albany N Y, son of Dr I N Cohen. Married Jan 1, 1885 to Minnie Schoenman of Milwaukee. Educated in New York and Penn public schools. Engaged in dry goods business in Brainerd 1882 under firm name of Cohen Bros; purchased brother’s interest in 1887, and continued alone under firm name of Henry I Cohen, enlarging the business to the dimensions of a department store; retired from the business in 1904 and has engaged in gen insurance, real estate and loans to date. Member city council 2 years; pres Public Library Board 2 terms and was principal promoter of the Brainerd Public Library, considered one of the finest in the State. Member Masonic fraternity; Scottish Rite 32d degree; Shrine; B P O E and M W A.


Walter Courtney
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

COURTNEY Walter. Brainerd. Surgeon. Born Sept 18, 1855 in Moore Ont, son of Angus and Janet (McCash) Courtney. Married Feb 10, 1886 to Hildegarde A Von Jasmund. Educated in public schools of Lambton county Ont; Strathroy collegiate Institute; Swazze and Yarkes Business College of London Ont and medical dept Univ of Mich; graduating M D 1883; post graduate studies in surgery at various times and places since 1883. Chief surgeon E div N P Ry Co since 1888. Ex-pres Minn State Med Assn; member Upper Mississippi Medical Society; Am Med Assn; International Assn Ry Surgeons; Minn Academy of Medicine; honorary N D State Med Assn; Hennepin County Med Society. Member Minnesota Club St Paul.


Edward Crust
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

CRUST Edward. Brainerd. Supt blacksmith shop N P R R. Born Aug 18, 1860 in England son of Robert and Elizabeth (Luckhurst) Crust. Married in 1887 to Mary G Clark. Received his education in common schools of England. Moved to U S 1881 and completed his trade; employed on Texas & Pacific R R 1881-83; moved to Brainerd and entered service of N P R R 1883-97; appointed supt of N P blacksmith shops 1897 and continues in same position. Member of city council 8 years; pres of same 6 years; county commissioner 1906-1910; v pres Commercial Club; member Masonic fraternity. Past master; Past H P and Past commander K T; Past C C, K of P; v pres N P L Assn; member Vol Fire Dept 25 years; member and trea Y M C A; member M W A and U O F.


Fred Farrar
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FARRAR Fred Andrew, Brainerd. Banker. Born April 6, 1861 in Milwaukee Mis, son of Andrew P and Sarah J. Farrar. Married Feb 20, 1895 to Ethel M Small. Educated in high school and business college Jackson Mich. First engaged in store room dept and as timekeeper for N P Ry until 1882; variously employed as bkpr and clk until 1889; mngr of dry goods store until 1892; city clk 1892-1900; entered First National Bank as teller Jan 1, 1900 and has been successively asst cashr and cashr. Dir and treas Minn Park Region Land Co; member city council; served as quartermaster sergeant 3d Regt M N G. Member Commercial Club; Masonic fraternity, 32d degree; K T; Shrine; B P O E and K of P.


Allen F. Ferris
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

A. F. Ferris, president of the First National Bank of Brainerd, Minnesota is a native of New York. His father, William Ferris, was born in Otto, New York, August 1, 1827, and secured work in a store at Gowanda, New York, when only fifteen years old. While living at Gowanda he was married to Miss Buelah A. Allen, a native of that place, and daughter of Judge Daniel Allen, of the district court. Judge Allen was a prominent man in his state, and was once nominated for the governorship, but declined to run. He was a native of Massachusetts and his wife was Esther Manley, daughter of Capt. John Manley, of Connecticut. William Ferris was for fifteen years agent of the Erie railroad at Perrysburgh, New York, and it was at that place that his son Allen was born on July 22, 1865. In 1872 Mr. Ferris moved to Minnesota and established himself at Brainerd as agent of the Northern Pacific railroad and of the United States Express Company. In 1881 he organized the First National Bank of Brainerd and was president of the bank at the time of his death in 1882. Young Allen was only seven years old when his parents removed to Minnesota. He attended the common schools at Brainerd and took two years at Carleton College at Northfield. In 1885, when twenty years of age, he entered the First National Bank as teller and during the following year was elected cashier. In 1892 he was made president and still occupies that position. Mr. Ferris has taken a prominent part in the public affairs of his city. He was elected an alderman in 1891 and was made vice president of the city council. In 1892 and 1893 he was re-elected. In 1894 he was elected as a member of the lower house of the state legislature. He took a very active part in the legislation of the ensuing legislative term, and as chairman of the railroad committee of the house of representatives was influential in shaping important legislation. He was the author of the important seed bill which formulated a plan for aiding the farmers who lost everything by the forest fires of 1894 and needed seeds for sowing in the spring of 1895 in order that they might get a fresh start. The work of Mr. Ferris in the house was rewarded by a re-election in 1896. Governor Merriam appointed Mr. Ferris to the Game and Fish Commission in 1891, and for five years he was secretary of that body. Mr. Ferris is president of the Chenquatana Club of Brainerd, vice-president of the Board of Trade, captain of the Brainerd Division, No. 7, U. R. K. P., a member of the Masonic body, of the Knights of Pythias and of the Improved Order of Red Men. On June 8, 1888, he was married to Miss Annie M. Stegee. They have one child, Frank W. Ferris, who is now six years old.


William A. Fleming
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

William A. Fleming is a lawyer and lives at Brainerd, Minnesota. His father, Patrick Fleming, was a prosperous country merchant all his life. He came from Scotland with his parents in 1819. When a young man he settled in Franklin County, New York, where he died at the age of sixty-three. He married Miss Rachel Shaw, a member of an old New England family. W. A. Fleming was born December 28, 1848, at Dickinson Center, Franklin County, New York. His boyhood was spent at home attending the village school. He attended Lawrenceville Academy several terms. He began teaching when only seventeen, and taught school ten years, most of the time at home. By economy he had saved, when he became of age, three hundred dollars, and was then taken into partnership by his father. For a while he served as postmaster at his village, being appointed to this position by President Grant. But having no taste for mercantile life, he determined to become a lawyer, and in 1878 he graduated from the Albany Law School. Seeing better opportunities for a young lawyer in the west than existed in his native state, he came to Minnesota in 1882 and established himself at Brainerd. During his fourteen years residence in that city he has built up a large practice and has been elected to a number of positions of trust. His early experience in school teaching was recognized by his choice as Superintendent of Schools of Crow Wing County. This position he held five years. He was municipal judge of Brainerd four years, and later was city attorney and county attorney. In 1889 and again 1893, he was elected to the State Legislature from Crow Wing County. In the legislature he took an active part in furthering the best measures before the House of Representatives. He has always been a Republican and is a firm believer in the principles of protection, sound finance and reciprocity. Mr. Fleming is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias and of the Red Men. He has no church connections, though he is believer in the essentials of the Christian religion. In 1888 he was married to Miss Florence O. Foster, a daughter of Judge George B. Foster, of Peoria, Illinois. At that time Mrs. Fleming was a teacher in the high school at Brainerd. They have one daughter named Geraldine.


John Taylor Frater
Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal, 1897 – transcribed by AJ

In one community at least in this state can it be said that the faithful performance of public duty is appreciated and rewarded. John Taylor Frater, of Brainerd, is serving his fourth term as county treasurer of Crow Wing County. Mr. Frater is of Scotch descent on both sides of the family line. His grandfather, George Frater, was born in Roxburghshire Scotland, and came to America in 1818, locating in Wood County, Virginia. Subsequently he removed to Harrison County, Ohio. His business was that of farming and stock raising. He was an ardent anti-slavery advocate, and active in what was known as the underground railroad service. No fugitive slave ever applied at his "station" without receiving shelter and assistance to the next place of safety. John Taylor, grandfather of the subject of this sketch on the other side of the family line, was also a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland, and came to America in 1819, settling in Livingston County, New York, but subsequently removed to Wood County, Virginia. Mr. Frater holds the good name of his ancestors in high respect, and takes just pride in their sturdy character and homely virtues. John Taylor Frater was born April 19, 1848, on a farm near Uniontown, Belmont County, Ohio. His early educational advantages were very meager(sic), consisting of a country school, and much of the time only three months in the year. The year 1869 he spent in the preparatory course in the Ohio Central College at Iberia, Ohio, but left there just when he got fairly started because of lack of means. Subsequently he took a course in bookkeeping in Duff's Commercial College at Pittsburgh. He first taught school in the winter of 1870 and 1871, by which he earned the first money he ever possessed as a result of his own efforts, and by this means accumulated about $400, which he spent on his education. In 1875 he went into a grocery business in Iberia, and continued it with moderate success for about five years. In 1881 Mr. Frater came to Minnesota, arriving in December, and locating at Brainerd, where he has been a resident since that time. He came West believing that there was better opportunity for young men here than in his native state. His first business connections were with the Northern Pacific Railroad Company as clerk for the chief roadmaster, and he was employed by the company until November 1, 1883, at which time to force of employes(sic) was greatly reduced. He then secured a situation as a bookkeeper and held it for five years, until June 1, 1889, when he was elected to the office of county treasurer, which position he has held continuously, having been elected four times, the last three elections without opposition. It is needless to say that Mr. Frater is a Republican, and is an active worker for his party's success. He has been honored by his fellow Republicans with numerous elections to important local and state conventions. Mr. Frater is president of the Republican League Club, has recently been elected chairman of the Republican county committee, is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias. He is not a member, but is an attendant and supporter of the Congregational church. Mr. Frater was married October 14, 1874, to Miss Julia A. V. Myers of Iberia Ohio.

Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Frater John Taylor, Brainerd. U S Indian agt Leech Lake Agcy. Born April 19, 1848 in Belmont county O, son of Thomas and Isabella (Taylor) Frater. Married Oct. 17, 1874 to Julia A Myers. Attended public schools Ohio; Ohio Central College and Duff’s Mercantile College Pittsburg. Raised on farm; engaged in mercantile business in small way in Ohio; moved to Minn 1881 and worked as clk N P Ry 2 years; grocery bkper 5 years; county treas Crow Wing county 1888-1904; state senator 1905; insurance business 1905-1907; appointed Indian agt Leech Lake agcy 1907; chairman Crow Wing county Republican Committee 1896-1902; member Republican Club Brainerd; commercial Club, Masonic fraternity, K of P, A O U W, Shrine and B P O E.


Edward B. Glass
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of the Upper Lake Region (1905) Transcribed by:  Glenda Stevens

EDWARD B. GLASS, one of the oldest surviving pioneers of Minnesota and a participant in many of the historic events at the Head of the Lakes, comes of a long line of New England sea-faring ancestors.  He was born in Guilford, Piscataquis Co., Maine, July 31, 1832, and his first visit to the Lake region occurred in 1853, when he came to assist in negotiating a treaty with the Red Cliff Indians on Apostle Islands, and on this trip he spent a night each in Superior and Fond du Lac.

Sidney Glass, his grandfather, was born at New Gloucester, Mass., and in active life followed the sea.  He served in the war of the Revolution, and was wounded in service under Admiral John Paul Jones.  He attained the remarkable age of one hundred and thirteen years, and died at Guilford, Maine.

Ezekiel Glass, son of Sidney and father of Edward B., was like his father, a sea-faring man.  When the war of 1812 was at hand, he entered the army, and participated in some of the decisive events of that struggle, and was present at the battle of Lundy’s Lane.  He married Sabina Byron, also of a representative New England family.

Edward B. Glass left home at the age of fourteen years, and went to New Orleans, making the journey by water.  He obtained work on a Mississippi river steamer, plying between that place and St. Paul, and after a time he entered the United States government employ under Major Harriman, agent for the Chippewa Indians at Crow Wing, Minn.  In that connection he remained five years, finding much to interest him in his work and in the country.  After assisting to remove the tribe to White Earth, he worked some at logging on the Chippewa Reservation.  At the outbreak of the Sioux war, he enlisted under Col. Northrup, and for two and a half years served as scout, his previous experienced with the Indians rendering his services at this time invaluable.  At Fort Ransom he helped to rescue the prisoners taken by the savages at New Ulm.  In 1869 Mr. Glass located at Superior, Wis. where for four years he engaged in logging, and then moved to Duluth, Minn.  There he erected the first hotel on Rice’s Point, the building still standing a monument to the memory of those early days.  After a year there he spent two years in Houghton, Mich., and two years in Canada.  About 1875, he came to Fond du Lac, where he invested in real estate and conducted a market garden for many years, meeting with much success.  A man of strong character, it was but natural that he should be conspicuous in public affairs, and in a short time after he located in Fond du Lac, his name was familiar.  He is a Democrat in politics, and for a number of years he served as deputy sheriff of St. Louis county.  He is simple and direct in his manner, and his integrity has never been questioned.  From 1900 to 1904 he lived in the West End, and he now resides in a comfortable home in Fond du Lac.

In 1854 Mr. Glass was married to Miss Cynthia Gray, who was born in Calais, Maine, and died in Duluth, Minn., July 24, 1892, aged fifty-five years.  She was a member of the Methodist Church.  Twelve children were born of this marriage, six of whom are living:  Edward, of Two Harbors, Minn.; Angelia, Mrs. W. W. Scott, of Duluth; Norah, Mrs. B. F. Bishop, of Bemidji, Minn.; Fred, of Rice River, Minn.; Hugh of Two Harbors, Minn.; and Ida, Mrs. C. A. Runquist, of Fond du Lac.  Mr. Glass has thirty-two grandchildren.  Mrs. Glass’s father, Reuben Gray, also a native of Calais, Maine, now resides in Brainerd, Minn., at the age of ninety-four years


A. J. Halsted
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HALSTED A J, Brainerd. Res 423 Broadway N, office 213 1/2 S 6th st. Editor and publisher. Born Aug 23, 1850 in Bridgeport O, son of Urial W and Mary J (Grubb) Halsted. Twice married; first to Annie Zane (died 1876); second to Louise Smith (died 1902). Educated in public schools Bridgeport O. Learned printer’s trade and worked as compositor until 1871. City editor Daily Intelligencer Wheeling W Va 1871-79; established Wheeling Saturday Evening Journal, subsequently changed to Evening Journal 1879; sold same 1883; moved to Brainerd and purchased Brainerd Tribune 1884 which he has conducted to date. Member city council Wheeling 5 years; mayor Brainerd 1894-1900, 1902, 1906 resigning Nov 1906 after 1 month of last term. Elected pres State Editorial Assn 1907. Member Commercial Club Brainerd.


Werner Hemstead
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HEMSTEAD Werner, Brainerd. Physician. Born April 19, 1860 in Dubuque Iowa, son of Charles and Rosomundi (Grobe) Hemstead. Married Sept 26, 1894 to Marguerite Johnson. Educated in district schools, German college; Iowa Wesleyan University Mt Pleasant Iowa; Missouri Medical and Nebraska State Univ medical dept, graduating 1882. Has been variously engaged in Brainerd in practice of medicine, banking, grocery and brewery business. Director and sec Brainerd Brg Co; Citizens State Bank. Served as alderman, mayor, sec of Board of Education, on Library Board, in State Legislature 1891-1901 and pres Commercial Club. Member Upper Miss Valley Medical Assn.


A. Lincoln Hoffman
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HOFFMAN A Lincoln, Brainerd. Merchant and financier. Born Jan 24, 1857 in Berlin Can, son of Leopold and Sarah (Thornton) Hoffman. Married Dec 22, 1878 to Nettie Stewart Randall of Brockton Mass. Attended schools of Boston and Randolph Mass. Conducted dept store Randolph Mass; boot and shoe store Minneapolis Minn; and farmed near Sauk Center Minn. Established hardware and furniture business at Brainerd in 1884, but has been engaged in other lines at same time. Pres of The General Mercantile Investment Co real estate and loans; pres Brainerd Ice Co; sec and pres of several mining companies and interested in Crow Wing county iron lands. Justice of the peace Stearns county Minn; special judge municipal court Brainerd. Member Commercial Club; state consul M W A for State of Minnesota; I O O F; Modern Samaritans; R N A; B P O E.


Ricardo S. Holden
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HOLDEN Ricardo S, Brainerd. Publisher. Born Jan 27, 1871 in Albion Mich, son of Blanchard and Elizabeth (Richards) Holden. Married Jan 26, 1896 to Ella Reynolds. Attended public school in Livingston Mont. Served 4 years apprenticeship to printing trade on Livingston (Mont) Enterprise. Has been variously associated with newspapers in the Northwest; publish Tribune at Staples Minn 1897; Independent at Carlos Minn and is now proprietor of Arena Pub Co, established 1900 publishers of the Brainerd Arena. Member Carlos city council 1905; Minnesota Editorial Assn; K of P; Maccabees; Am Yoemen and Typographical Union


George W. Holland
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Glenda Stevens

HOLLAND George W, Brainerd. Lawyer. Born in Franklin county N Y, son of Clark and Relief (Bixby) Holland. Educated in high school Berlin Wis; University of Wis, graduating B A 1868. Studied law and admitted to bar 1870; practiced until 1889 at Branerd; served as judge of district court 1889-1901; then resumed practice. Dir First Nat’l Bank; attorney 1872-75 and 1887-89. Member Minn Bar Assn; Commercial Club; Masonic fraternity.


Newton H. Ingersoll
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander

Ingersoll, Newton H, Brainerd. Editor and postmaster. Born Oct 25, 1859 in Plover Wis, son of Herman G and Lavina M (Newton) Ingersoll. Married June 13, 1881 to Hattie G Hall. Received common school education. Began work as printer in father’s office Plover Wis when attending school and finished trade in Journal office Stevens Point; moved to Ada Minn 1882 and was publisher of Ada Alert; moved to Brainerd and in conjunction with F W Wieland became propr of Brainerd Dispatch daily and weekly 1883 to date; twice elected engrossing clk of Minn Legislature. Postmaster of Brainerd Minn 1900 to date.


Ogden Monell
Source: "Counties of Cumberland, Jasper and Richland Counties" Illinois, 1884 - Sub. by K.T.

OGDEN MONELL, son of Robert B. and Permelia (Squires) Monell, was born September 15, 1833, in Chenango County, N. Y. When quite young his parents removed to Hudson, Columbia County, where he spent his youth. He was carefully educated at Hartford, N. Y., and at Stockbridge, Mass., with a view to his entering the legal profession. In 1850, Mr. Monell, being of a somewhat roving disposition, shipped as a sailor on board the ship " Great Britain," bound from New York to China, via San Francisco. After a long and tedious voyage around Cape Horn, the vessel arrived in San Francisco Bay, and the gold excitement being at its full height, the whole ship's company deserted, and engaged in the search for the hidden treasure. After an absence of over four years, in which he made several voyages on the Pacific Ocean, he again doubled Cape Horn in the whale ship "Boston," and landed at New Bedford, Mass. After remaining at home a short time he came to Illinois, and from there went to Minnesota, which was then a territory, where he acted as Sub-Indian Agent, at the Crow Wing Agency, and was afterward the first Sheriff of Crow Wing County, that State. In 1858, he returned to Boone County, Ill., where, December 25, 1858, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Pearsall, a daughter of John and Clarinda Pearsall. Two children, George R. and Alber P., were the result of the union. In the spring of 1860, he came to Jasper County, Ill., where, in 1861, he was chosen Supervisor of North Muddy Township, which office he resigned and entered the army as First Lieutenant of Company F, Eleventh Illinois Volunteers, and served until the promulgation of President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, when, on his return home, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under Harvey N. Love, after whose death he became acting Sheriff. In 1858, he was elected Circuit Clerk and Recorder of the county; was re-elected in 1862.


Herbert Root
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips

HERBERT ROOT, deceased, was for almost twenty years prominently identified with the interests of Valley City, Barnes county, North Dakota, as one of its leading attorneys and business men. He early learned that knowledge is the key with which the poor boy could open the store house of the world and cull its choicest fruits. The result is he became one of the most successful men of his city, and essentially the architect of his own fortune.
Mr. Root was born on a farm in county Holdimond, Ontario, Canada, August 12, 1848, a son of Isaac and Sarah (Dobie) Root, also native of Canada. He was a direct descendant of Henry Rott, of Pennsylvania, the name having been changed in his father's time. Isaac Root was born in Lincoln county, Ontario, in 1808, followed the occupation of a farmer throughout life, and died in 1891. The mother of our subject, who was born in 1811, departed this life in 1858, and two years later the father married Calista Barrett, who still survives him and resides in Canada.
The early education of Herbert Root was acquired in the district schools of his native province. Coming to the United States at the age of twelve years, he located at Qunicy, Illinois, and accepted a position as clerk with his uncle, Henry Root, then conducting one of the largest dry goods stores in that city. Our subject remained in his employ until 1869, when he entered the Methodist Episcopal College at Quincy, where he pursued a general course of study for one year. The following year he engaged in teaching a country school near Racine, Wisconsin, and in 1870 became a student at Racine College, where he took the classical course and graduated with high honors in 1872, standing at the head of his class and receiving the degrees of A. B. and A. M.. He also won five gold medals at that school. It was by his own unaided efforts that he secured his collegiate education. He was next a student at the Nashotah Theological Seminary of Waukeshaw county, and from that institution he was graduated in August, 1874.
Mr. Root was then ordained a deacon in the Episcopal church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Washington boulevard and Peoria street, Chicago, and as such was in charge of Grace church at Sterling, Illinois, for a time. He was next sent to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Wells, and subsequently became assistant to Dr. John Fulton, dean of the Cathedral at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he remained a year. He was then rector at Grace church, Muncie, Indiana, until March, 1877, when he came west and for three years was rector of St. Paul's church at Brainard, Minnesota.
In March, 1880, Mr. Root became a resident of Valley City, North Dakota. His first venture here was in the private banking business, but in 1881 he assisted in organizing the First National Bank, of which he was cashier until January, 1882, when he resigned and organized the Farmers' & Merchants' Bank. He was president of that corporation until it went into voluntary liquidation in 1890, paying one hundred cents on the dollar. He then successfully engaged in farming and the practice of law, and while he maintained an office in the city, his home was in the country north of the place. He was prominent in business circles and occupied an enviable position in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
On the 13th of March, 1875, Mr. Root was united in marriage with Miss Harriet C. Warner, of Racine, Wisconsin, daughter of Eli W. and Hannah Warner. Her parents were from Hartford, Connecticut, and were among the early settlers of Racine county, Wisconsin.
Mr. Root died January 5, 1900 at St. Luke's hospital, St. Paul, Minnesota, whither he had gone, accompanied by his wife, for medical advice. His death was due to disease of the heart, and was a terrible shock to a large circle of friends. His best obituary is found in the general epistle of St. James, first chapter, twenty-seventh verse. His mortal part lies in Mound cemetery, Racine, Wisconsin.


George H. Shaver
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Maggie Saggio

GEORGE H. SHAVER, residing on section 17 of Mapleton township, in Cass county, is one of the early settlers of that vicinity, and has been identified with the agricultural interests of North Dakota many years. His land during the early days bore no semblance to the highly-cultivated fields of the present day, and he is now the proprietor of as fine a farm as can be found in his township. His buildings on his home farm include those which will add to the comfort and convenience of those carrying on the work, and he is well versed in the best and most approved methods of operating a farm.
Our subject was born in Matilda, Dundas county, Ontario, April 6, 1850, and was reared in that county till he was fifteen years of age, when he went to Rochester, New York, and remained one year, and then spent a few months in Detroit, Michigan, and in the spring of 1869 went to Duluth, Minnesota, where he followed railroading till 1878, in different capacities. He assisted in grading the road between Duluth and Mandan, and in 1878 bought section 11, in Durbin township, Cass county, where he lived about three years, and then purchased sections 17 and 20, in Mapleton township in 1886. He located thereon and has since resided in section 17. He has followed farming since 1878 and is now the owner of one thousand six hundred acres of fine land in Mapleton township. On his home farm he has built a complete set of buildings, and enjoys the comforts of rural life.
Mr. Shaver was married, in Brainard, Minnesota, September 6, 1878, to Miss Meriem D. Congdon, a native of Elmira, New York. Mr. Shaver is a member of the Congregational church, and the Ancient Order of United workmen. He has served as county commissioner one term, and is interested in the affairs of local importance, and is an earnest supporter of every enterprise looking to the good of his community. He is energetic and wide-awake, and is deservedly held in high esteem and respect by his associates.
 


William H. White
Source: COMPENDIUM OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY. Transcribed by Carol Eppright.

WILLIAM H. WHITE, the oldest continuous lumber merchant of North Dakota, is entitled to distinction as one of the most progressive and enterprising men of the state, and has for twenty-seven years been identified with the business interests of Fargo. Upon the commercial activity of a community depends its prosperity and the men who are now recognized as leading citizens are those who are at the head of extensive business enterprises. Mr. White is a man of broad capabilities who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. On another page is presented a portrait of Mr. White.
He was born in Whiting, Addison county, Vermont, July 31, 1851, a son of Lyman P. and Phebe (Keeler) White, also natives of the Green Mountain state. The paternal grandfather, Elijah White, was born in Massachusetts and served as a commissioned officer in the Revolutionary war, at the close of which conflict he removed to Vermont. For some time the father of our subject was general superintendent of the Rutland & Burlington road, now the Vermont Central, and later was general fuel agent for the Northwestern Railroad Company, with office at Chicago, Illinois, for ten years. In 1869 he removed to Minnesota, and is now living in Brainard, that state, at the ripe old age of eighty-nine years. He had four sons, of whom three still survive.
The early like of William H. White was spent in Vermont and Wisconsin, and his education was completed at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin. At one time he was a resident of Chicago, where he was engaged in the lumber trade with his father, and in the fall of 1871 went to Brainard, Minnesota, but during the following spring removed to Moorehead, that state, where he was also engaged in the lumber business. He sold the lumber which built the first bridge over which civilization entered North Dakota, it being the northern Pacific Railroad bridge across the Red river at Moorehead. In the fall of 1873 he opened a yard at Bismarck, North Dakota, but after conducting it one year returned to Moorehead, Minnesota, and in 1874 run flatboats of lumber down the river, and it was in the fall of 1874 that Mr. White took up his residence in Fargo and has since given almost his entire time and attention to his extensive lumber trade, now owning and operating twenty-three lumber yards in the Red river valley. He is the oldest lumberman in years of continuous business in North Dakota and has been remarkable successful, being a man of sound judgment, keen discrimination and good business ability, as well as energetic, progressive and enterprising. For years he was a director of the First National Bank of Fargo.
In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 20, 1876, Mr. White married Miss Anna M. Williams, a native of that city. There are consistent and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church and liberally support every enterprise for the public good. Mr. White is the first member of that denomination in this state and built the first Methodist church in the state at Fargo in 1874. He has also taken an active interest in educational work and was president of the board of trustees of the Methodist Episcopal University at Wahpeton, North Dakota. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and a life-long Republican, but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office, though he is ever willing to aid movements calculated to advance the interests of his adopted city and state.


Crow Wing County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails