. . . about New Trier, Minnesota
NOTE: The following history is from an 1882 publication:
VILLAGE OF NEW TRIER.
This village is situated in the north-east part of the township, and has a population of about one hundred and twenty. Father Keller gave it the name in honor of a small city in Germany. The first building put up in the town was the log church in 1856. The next building was a board shanty built in 1863 by Mathias Hubli. In 1865, Peter Mies built the first hotel, called the New Trier house. This was sold in 1867, to John Simmer, who still owns it. In this was kept the first grocery in the place.
The village now contains two hotels. New Trier house and Farmers' Home; two general merchants, Francis Gores and T. J. Wallerin; hardware, Joseph Breher; meat-market, Herman Goering; harness-shop, John Nather; two blacksmiths, T. Mamer and Peter Thien; two shoemakers, Peter Kuhn and Caspar Michaels; merchant tailor, Theodore Deutsch; wagon-maker, John Delfelt; physician, Dr. Mahowsky; saloons, John Simmer, William Schweitzer, Peter Redlinger, Peter Kuhn, T. J. Wallerin.
The village was incorporated March 3d, 1874, and the first officers were Francis Gores, president; Joseph Deiring clerk; Andrew Weisen, Peter Redlinger, Charles Hostert, trustees. The present officers are Francis Gores, president; John Delfelt, clerk; John Simmer, Andrew Weisen, Peter Redlinger, trustees.
The village occupying about seventy-five acres of land, originally owned by John, Anna, Bernard Jacob Goergan, Margaret and Charles Lorenz, Catherine and Marcus Lies, Nicholas and Susan Lies and Jacob Deuer, was surveyed and platted by C. B. Lowell in February, 1874, and the plat recorded March 16th.
An addition, called Gores addition, consisting of four blocks, ranging east and west, was surveyed and platted the same year. The two western blocks were vacated before the plat was filed, but the two eastern ones were recorded June 10th.
[History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings, by Edward D. Neill, North Star Publishing Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1882, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
Dakota County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails