. . . about Rosemount, Minnesota
NOTE: The following history is from an 1882 publication:
VILLAGE OF ROSEMOUNT.
The village of Rosemount is located in the center of section 25, township 115, range 19, and was laid out in 1866, by J. A. Case on land owned by Selah Chamberlain, of Cleveland, Ohio. The town has grown until it is now a flourishing village. It was incorporated in 1875 with the following officers: Frank Gallon, president; Frederick Kloepping, Michael Hynes, Frank Garry, council; J. C. Geraghty, treasurer; Andrew Keegan, justice of the peace; Louis Warweg, constable. The act of incorporation was approved by the legislature, February 16th, 1875. These officers were to hold until the first Monday in April, following, on which day the first regular election took place with the following result: John Farquhar, president; Frederick Kloepping, Gottlieb Schmid, Frank Garry, council; J. C. Geraghty, treasurer; Andrew Keegan, justice of the peace, Phillip Caron, constable.
In 1876, the village authorities built a town hall at an expense of $700. It is 20x40 feet, and one story high. Considerable more money has since been expended for improvements, one end of the hall being fitted with two cells for the detention of prisoners. The present officers are: J. C. Rea, president; Louis Warweg, Gottlieb Schmid, James O'Brien, council; James Thompson, recorder; James Thompson, Andrew Keegan, justices of the peace; Peter Heinen, constable; Fremont Washburn, police.
The village at present contains one hall belonging to the village, another owned by the St. Joseph's Total Abstinence Society, one church, two hotels, one hardware store, two general stores, two wagon shops, two blacksmith shops, one harness shop, one shoe shop, one meat market, four saloons, and an elevator with a capacity of 40,000 bushels. The Catholic church society hold meetings in the hall belonging to the St. Joseph's Total Abstinence Society. A brass band was organized in 1879, consisting of twelve pieces, under the leadership of L. I. Casserly. The band now numbers eight pieces, and is led by J. H. Heinen.
The people in this village, though not large in numbers, show an enterprise that might be emulated with advantage by larger cities. In 1880, street lamps were placed at intervals on the streets.
Hardware. The firm of F. Kloepping and L. Warweg began business in 1875, buying the stock of J. Merrill, who had established the business about two years previous. They carry a good, general stock of hardware, wooden-ware, paints, oils and furniture. They are enjoying a prosperous business. Mr. Kloepping is also postmaster, and has the office in their sales-room.
General stores. In July, 1868, Frank Gollon established a general store, and continued the business alone ten years with success. At the end of that time, J. C. Geraghty was admitted as a partner, and after two years, Gollon sold out to his partner, who has since conducted the business, and enjoys a large trade. April 9th, 1881, the building occupied and a large share of his stock were destroyed by fire. The remainder of the stock was moved to the village hall, where he is now doing business, pending the completion of his new building.
The store of O'Brien and Brice was established in the fall of 1869, by Edward McMenorny, who conducted the business until he died in 1875. His wife conducted it until 1880, when James O'Brien and T. J. Brice bought the stock, and now manage the business. A bar is kept in connection with the store.
Blacksmith shops. About the year 1872, John Farquhar established a shop on the north side of Ash street, near Pine. In 1875, Dennis Hogan became a partner, and in 1878, Farquhar sold his interest, and Mathew Butler became a partner with Hogan. In September, 1880, Joseph Geiger bought an interest, and the firm is now Hogan, Butler and Company. They turn out some fine work, and Mr. Hogan has received premiums at three Minnesota state fairs, and two Dakota county fairs, for his work on horse-shoes.
The firm of Garry and Geiger was organized in the spring of 1869, and was formed by Frank Garry and Joseph Geiger. They built their shop on the west side of Pine street, and continued together until September, 1880 when Geiger sold out. Garry has since continued the business.
Wagon shops. Joseph Guth began business in the fall of 1875, occupying part of Garry and Geiger's blacksmith shop. In the fall of 1877, he built a shop on the lot to the south, where he has succeeded in gaining a good trade.
William Kurz established business in the fall of 1870, on the west side of Main street. The next fall he built a shop on the corner of Main and Cedar streets, which he moved into, also using part of the building for a residence.
Harness shop. In the fall of 1875, Peter Heinen opened a shop in the building now occupied by Henry Keeffe as a hotel and saloon. One year later he put up a building on the lot adjoining on the west and moved into it, using part of it as a residence. In the spring of 1880 he sold the stock to his brother John, who conducted the business one year, then sold back to Peter. They have built up a good trade.
Shoe store. This business was first begun by Gotlieb Schmid in the fall of 1870, as a shoe shop, and continued as such until the summer of 1880, when he bought a small stock and added a sales department.
The elevator was built by the railroad company in 1867, at a cost of about $12,000, and a capacity of 40,000 bushels. In 1877, Pratt and Robinson bought it, and in the fall of 1880 sold to M. Meeker of Farmington. Until 1878 it was operated by horse-power. At that time a steam engine was put in. J. C. Rea is the agent for the elevator.
Two saloons are run independent of other business. One was opened in 1875 by Patrick Gibbons. Since his death in June, 1879, his widow has run it. About the same time another was opened by Michael Hynes, which he still runs.
Part of the village of Pine Bend, as originally surveyed in 1857, was in the town of Rosemount. It covered the north-east north-west quarter of section 18, and the fraction of section 7 lying north. It has since been vacated and is now used as farm land by H. G. O. Morrison one of the original proprietors.
[History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings, by Edward D. Neill, North Star Publishing Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1882, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
Dakota County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails