. . . about Vermillion, Minnesota
NOTE: The following history is from an 1882 publication:
VILLAGE OF VERMILLION.
The village of Vermillion is situated in the center of the township, on the line between sections 15 and 22. In 1866, the Hastings and Dakota railroad was completed to Farmington. This road takes a course diagonally across the township from north-east to south-west. There was no station in the town, but the railroad company placed a platform for the accommodation of the people, and trains made regular stops. The first building erected was the blacksmith-shop of Peter Fishler, built in 1873, on the south-east quarter of section 15. He ran one fire; the building is now used for a barn.
The same year, Nicholas Klutz built a house on the north-east quarter of section 22. Jacob Randler also put up a residence and blacksmith shop on the north side of Main street. The third building is a dwelling and shoe-shop, occupied by Henry Weber. Next is a meat-market, kept by Caspar Geering, then a frame house in which Henry Pfieffer runs a saloon. There is also another saloon conducted by G. Krausen. The only hotel in the place is that kept by Michael Kerst, built in 1874, on section 22. The building was formerly used for a general store by Michael Heinen and Felix Gats. About six months after opening business, they moved the building on to section 15, about one hundred feet from its original location. Soon after, Gats sold his interest to Joseph Ard, and one year later Heinan sold to M. Kerst. The firm of Kerst and Ard continued one year, and in 1877, Joseph Sausen bought out Ard, and the new firm added to the original building, making it the present size, 35x45 feet, and two-stories high. It has six rooms. In 1878, Mr. Sausen retired from the firm and Mr. Kerst has since conducted tile business alone. In connection with the hotel, he has a general store. The building adjoining is a blacksmith shop, run by Peter Fishler, who has his residence in the next building. To the west of this is the frame building occupied by Frank Brennan, who keeps a saloon. Next is the building used by Jacob Sausen as general store and harness shop, built in 1879. On the south side of the street is the residence of Nicholas Klutz and the town hall.
Vermillion post-office was established in 1874, through the instrumentality of Major Kennedy, postmaster at Hastings, and Nicholas Klutz received the appointment of postmaster. The office is in his house. Previous to the establishment of this office, the inhabitants of the town received their mail at Hastings, Rosemount and Hampton.
The Vermillion elevator is located on the north half of section 22, and was erected in 1875, by Mr. Stowell. It is a wood building 16x40 feet, one and one-half-stories high, and has a capacity for five thousand bushels of grain. The grain is elevated by horse-power. The same price is paid here as at Hastings, and farmers save time by bringing their wheat to this elevator from which it is shipped over the Hastings and Dakota railroad. In 1876, the elevator was sold to Adam Reiger, who run it until 1880, when it was leased by Kellogg and Lange, the present proprietors. Mr. Westfall is in charge of the business. Near the building is the platform which serves the railroad in place of a depot.
The village of Vermillion was incorporated by an act of the legislature approved February 27th, 1881. This act was passed through the efforts of General Adams. The plat includes the south half of section 15 and the north half of section 22. General Adams, Michael Kerst and Gilles Krausen were designated by the act of incorporation to carry into effect the organization, which was done by the election of the following officers: H. Potter, P. Fishler, H. Pfieffer, trustees; Joseph Sausen, recorder; Caspar Geering, justice of the peace; Frank Brennan, marshal.
[History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings, by Edward D. Neill, North Star Publishing Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1882, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
Dakota County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails