Dakota County Minnesota
NOTE: The following history is from an 1882 publication, the term "town" is sometimes used when referring to the township.
This is one of the western tier of towns in Dakota county, and is known as township 113 north, of range 20 west of the fifth principal meridian, and like nearly all the other towns in the county, received its designation in April, 1858.
SURFACE AND PRODUCTS.
The surface of Eureka is divided into level and rolling prairie, hilly, scrub oak and more heavily timbered land. The north, east, central and central western portions of the town, with the exception of a body of timber in the northwest corner, consist of open prairie. The central, southern and south-western portions consist of hilly, timbered and scrub oak land. The soil in the prairie districts is a sandy loam, having a clay sub-soil. In the timbered portions the soil inclines more to clay and gravel, with a clay subsoil under laid with a formation of smooth gravel and boulders.
But one stream of water worthy of notice flows within the town. The Vermillion river debouches from Bear lake, in section 18, at the extreme western boundary of the township, and flows in a general course east by north; crossing the line between Eureka and Lakeville, in section 1, near the village of Farmington. The course of the stream is rapid, and its clear cold waters are invaluable to the stock farmer.
Chub lake, the principal body of water in Eureka, lies in the midst of the timber in the south-central part of the town. It is one and a half miles long by five hundred yards wide at its broadest part. It is a shallow lake, with a mud bottom, and contains no fish of value. It is bounded by sections 21, 22, 27, 28, 33 and 34.
Bear lake touches the western borders of the town, in sections 7 and 18, but its waters lie almost wholly in Scott county. Vermillion lake is a small body of water lying at the foot of Bear lake, in section 18.
Wells are in use generally through the town, and excellent drinking water is obtained at a depth of from ten to one hundred feet. The prevailing product of Eureka is wheat, which comes to maturity finely in these lands. The quality is first-class, and the yield large for Minnesota. Corn is also grown quite extensively, as well as oats, barley and potatoes. The farmers are also well supplied with livestock, especially horses and cattle. The butter product is quite large, while sheep are kept but little. The lowlands of the town produce prairie hay of the best quality.
As most people remember, who were in Minnesota early in the "fifties," there was great hope of St. Peter, at that time, as the coming city of the new territory. The old "Dodd Road" was an outgrowth of this expectation. On the second day of May, 1853, three brothers, Cyrus M., Dwight L. and Ansel R. Kingsley began work on this noted highway. By the latter part of June, operations had progressed so far as that portion of the road afterward embraced within the limits of Eureka township.
When at a point on the Vermillion river, now embraced in section 7, Captain Dodd, struck with the beauty of the spot, had C. M. Kingsley construct a claim shanty there, and stake out a claim of one hundred and sixty acres. The captain's intention was to have this land pass into the hands of a friend, in St. Paul. The improvement made was simply a log pen, without a roof. Captain Dodd soon forgot his claim, however, and it passed into other hands than those for whom it was intended.
But the Kingsley brothers, more deeply impressed with the character of the lands lying on the Vermillion, resolved to return and settle here at a future day. During the winter of 1853-4, Cyrus Kingsley met an old friend, Benjamin Caskey, at St. Paul. Mr. Caskey was ready to appropriate a good location, and under Mr. Kingsley's advice, he set out, in May, 1854, on a prospecting tour along the line of the Dodd road. The result was, that he settled on the claim staked out the previous year by Captain Dodd.
On the fifteenth of July following, Cyrus M. Kingsley settled on the north-east quarter of section 17, now a part of the farm of Charles Jones. His brother, Dwight L. Kingsley, settled on the south-east quarter of section 6, now owned by J. H. Mallery and Q. Kingsley.
July 18th, Peter Sampson, and his son Magnus, Ole Torrison, and Ole H. Oleson, all Norwegians, arrived at Chub Lake, from Wisconsin. Mr. Sampson took a claim where he still lives, in sections 22 and 27. Messrs. Torrison and Oleson located in section 21.
During the autumn of 1854, Sylvester Bell came at the insistence of C. M. Kingsley, and made a claim in the north-west quarter of section 5. In December, A. R. Kingsley arrived and settled on property now owned by G. B. Mallery, in section 6.
During the winter of 1854-5, James Caskey settled in the north-east quarter of section 7.
During the year following, 1855, quite a goodly number of settlers arrived, and took claims in various parts of the township. The advance guard of the noted Indiana colony arrived this year, and the earlier settlers had an opportunity for selling their first made claims, and for making new ones. This was done in several instances. C. M. Kingsley sold his claim, and re-located in the north-east quarter of section 8, where he now lives. A. R. Kingsley sold his claim to G. B. Mallery and made another in the northwest quarter of section 8, which he still holds. Sylvester Bell sold his claim rights to Frederick Wright, and finally laid claim to the south-east quarter of section 8, which he continues to own.
The first comers of the "hoosier" settlement arrived at section 9, on the Vermillion river, May 25th, 1855. They had left Miami county, Indiana, on the 1st day of April, to find homes in Minnesota. Four of the party settled in Lakeville, but Wm. Coburn, Isaac Van Doren, Isaac N. Van Doren, Clymer Shadinger, Adna Shadinger, Abram C. Van Doren, A. C. Speck and David J. Lumsden settled in Eureka. These people were nearly all related by blood or marriage. They lived in their emigrant wagons until they had broken considerable land, but after the month of June, began to build houses.
After these settlers, there came in June, 1855, Peter Thompson, G. B. Mallery, Ole and Stephen Torrison, Jule Knudson, John Lue, Christian Anderson, Elend Leverson and Ole P. Ruh. The seven last mentioned arrived on the thirteenth of the month.
L. J. Johnson settled in Eureka the following July, and with him his sons Halvor L., Lewis W., Ole L., John L. and Rolf L. Johnson.
Thomas Murray came in August, and Samuel Bean about the same time. Caleb Harrison and Daniel Collett arrived October 8th, and S. C. Schofield not far from the same date.
Other settlers of 1855, were Jacob Van Doren, Thomas M. Smith, Frederick Wright, Oscar Van Doren, Joseph Warhurst, Marshall Barnum, and a Mr. Isgrigg.
The year following, 1856, William Pool arrived May 27th, Robert Pool, June 19th, William Perry, in October, and John Pool, and Charles Smith at dates unknown.
In April of 1857, Siegur Larson and Howard Shadinger, settled in the town, while Samuel and John M. Livingston arrived on the 30th day of May. Rev. F. A. Pratt, also took up a residence in the town, early in this year, and April 17th, 1858, marks the arrival of Phineas Morton.
It was one of the early settlers of Eureka, who in the Indiana legislature opposed the buying of a thermometer, saying: "Mr. Speaker, I am opposed to buying a thermomicon, for I don't believe there's a man in the house that knows how to wind the machine up."
The first house or cabin constructed in Eureka, was built by C. M. Kingsley, Dwight L. Kingsley, and Benjamin Caskey, on the latter's claim. This was in July, 1854. The cabin was built of logs, fourteen feet by eighteen feet in dimensions, and covered with boards. For beds, wooden pins were driven into the logs horizontally, and slabs were then laid upon these pins. The situation of the cabin was near that of the log pen, built the year before, by Captain Dodd, and near the present location of the house of John Jelly. The Kingsley brothers and Caskey all lived here together. After a time, D. L. Kingsley brought his wife from St. Paul, and she kept house for the men and repaired their wardrobes. The immediate neighbors of this family were a camp of fifteen lodges of Sioux. The general propensities of such neighbors are two well known to require description. Alexander Faribault and other early and distinguished characters slept in this old log house and enjoyed the open-handed hospitality of its generous occupants.
During this same summer, 1854, a cabin was built on the land of D. L. Kingsley. In the fall of that year, Peter Sampson and Ole Torrison constructed cabins on their claims. These were all the dwellings built in Eureka in 1854. The oldest structure, still in existence in the town, was built in 1855. It stands in section 5, on the premises of Mrs. S. E. Morton.
THE FIRST BREAKING.
The first breaking was done by Sylvester Bell, in the summer of 1854, on his claim in section 5. He broke about five acres. C. M. Kingsley broke about fifteen acres, on his claim, the same season, and Peter Sampson about two acres. The plows were drawn by oxen, and corn, and a little wheat were the crops produced.
The year 1855, marks the era of first births in Eureka. The first birth, the date of which is known, was that of Annie Kelly, daughter of William and Bridget Kelly. She was born in section 6, August 20th, 1855. A child was also born to Mr. and Mrs. James Caskey, and one to Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Wright, during the same summer. Since these latter families removed from the town long ago, little is known of their family record. December 1st, 1855, Thedeman J., son of J. and Juga Knudson, was born in section 29. This completes the list of births in Eureka, for 1855.
FIRST MARRIAGE AND DEATH.
The first marriage in the town, was that of Ansel R. Kingsley and Maria J. Lumsden, who were joined in wedlock, the evening of December 2d, 1856. Mrs. Kingsley is now deceased.
There was but one death in Eureka prior to 1857. This was the death of Susannah, daughter of Daniel and Sarah Collett. She was a young girl, aged ten years, three months, and twenty-eight days, and died November 18th 1856.
Dwight Kingsley occasionally kept travelers in 1854-5, but the first regular hotel in Eureka was kept by Captain Thomas M. Smith, in 1855. It was built with posts set in the ground, the sides boarded up, and the top covered with hay. He built a better house in the fall, however, but most of the houses, in these early days, were poorly built, and this one was no exception to the general rule. During the first winter, Mrs. Smith froze her feet while in bed. In opening new farms, there was much work to be done, and it was some time before the early settlers had all the conveniences necessary for the comfort of man and beast, particularly so in the matter of wells. Consequently, water had to be hauled long distances sometimes, and cattle driven to the lakes and rivers to drink. The captain had to haul his water from the Vermillion river with an ox team. One day, while at the river for this purpose, the day being warm, he thought it a good opportunity to bathe, and so prepared himself, putting his clothes in the wagon. While he was enjoying a deliciously cool bath, the oxen started for home at a lively rate, and the captain had no alternative but to follow.
Captain Smith served with some distinction in the Mexican war, and commanded a company of cavalry in the Indian campaign, as well as in the war of the rebellion.
With the exception of some road orders by the board of town supervisors, and other minor matters, all the early records of Eureka have been lost, or were never kept. However, it appears that the town was organized May 11th 1858, and the formal meeting for the organization, and election of officers, was held at the barn of Isaac Van Doren, in section 9. What was the number of votes cast, cannot be ascertained, nor have we a list of the various candidates for official honors, nor a full list of the successful aspirants. The first board of supervisors consisted of Garrick B. Mallery, chairman, Cornelius H. Wager and Joseph F. Bean, associates. James W. Pool was the first town clerk, and Isaac Van Doren was probably the first treasurer. The civil history of the town contains little of interest. No bounties were issued during the late war. August 6th, 1864, a petition, signed by eleven voters, was presented to the town supervisors, asking that body to call a special meeting of the citizens to consider an issue of bonds for the purpose of raising recruits. The citizens convened, but a question was raised by G. B. Mallery, as to the legality of the call, and an adjournment was made sine die. The matter seems to have disappeared from any further public attention.
The town owns no hall for the holding of annual meetings for the transaction of public business. For many years, the annual meetings were held at what was known as the "Central schoolhouse," in district number 49. For the last few years the meetings have been held at the shoe house in Christiana, for which privilege a small annual rent is paid.
The following persons have held the positions of town clerk and chairman of the board of supervisors, beginning with the year following the town organization.
* 1859 - Samuel Livingston, chairman; James W. Pool, clerk.
* 1860 - G. B. Mallery, chairman; James W. Pool, clerk.
* 1861 - Samuel Livingston, chairman; James W. Pool, clerk.
* 1862 - Peter Thompson, chairman; A. L. Caskey, clerk.
* 1863 - G. B. Mallery, chairman; James Jockwood, clerk.
* 1864 - G. B. Mallery, chairman; Cyrus M. Kingsley, clerk.
* 1865 - A. F. Bean, chairman; S. Livingston, clerk.
* 1866 - A. F. Bean, chairman; John W. Pool, clerk.
* 1867 - D. C. Fix, chairman; William A. Parry, clerk.
* 1868 - D. C. Fix, chairman; William A. Parry, clerk.
* 1869 - F. C. Carpenter, chairman; I. N. VanDoren, clerk.
* 1870 - V. G. Van Slyke, chairman; John M. Livingston, clerk.
* 1871 - Charles Jones, chairman; J. M. Livingston, clerk.
* 1872 - C. M. Kingsley, chairman; J. M. Livingston, clerk.
* 1873 - James W. Lytle, chairman; M. A. Parry, clerk.
* 1874 - C. M. Kingsley, chairman; M. A. Parry, clerk.
* 1875 - C. M. Kingsley, chairman; M. A. Parry, clerk.
* 1876 - C. M. Kingsley, chairman, J. M. Livingston, clerk.
* 1877 - William A. Parry, chairman; J. M. Livingston, clerk.
* 1878 - Peter Thompson, chairman; O. G. Olson, clerk.
* 1879 - W. A. Parry, chairman; O. G. Olson, clerk.
* 1880 - W. A. Parry, chairman; B. J. Skofstad, clerk.
The town officers for 1881 are: W. A. Parry, C. M. Kingsley and H. O. Torbornson, supervisors; B. J. Skofstad, clerk; Peter Thompson, treasurer; Cyrus M. Kingsley, assessor; William McElrath, justice of the peace.
As early as the spring of 1856, a school district was formed, comprising portions of the territory afterwards in Eureka and Lakeville townships. The school-house, however, which was constructed in the summer of 1856, was located in Lakeville, on the site of the present district school-house number 44, generally known as the Donaldson school-house. The first school in Eureka, as far as can be ascertained, was taught by G. B. Mallery at his house in section 6, during the winter of 1857-'58. This was a night school for the accommodation of the neighbors, and had a good attendance.
The school districts now numbered 47, 48 and 49 were all organized within a short time of each other. They were in the first place numbered 35, 36 and 42, but were subsequently changed to sub-districts 1, 2 and 3. March 16th, 1861, the board of supervisors subdivided the town into five districts-Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. These numbers continued in use until 1863, when the present system of numbering was adopted. There are now seven school-houses in the town.
District No. 47 was organized in 1858, and known as the Eureka district No. 35, afterwards sub-district No. 3. It was a large district at the time of its organization, and contained fifty or sixty school children within its limits. A schoolhouse was constructed on the north-east quarter of section 7, in the spring of 1859, by subscription, at a cost of $200. The first session of school held in the district was in the summer of 1859, and was taught by Miss Sarah Jenkins. The first board of trustees was composed of the following persons: G. B. Mallery, Henry Caskey and William Crist. The original school building continued in use until 1881. At a special meeting held on the 15th of April a vote was taken to construct a new building and remove the location to the intersection of the public highway with the Dodd road, and about five hundred yards from the original site, on land donated for the purpose by S. C. Schofield. The new building is a fine structure, twenty-four by thirty-six feet, and cost about $850 exclusive of the patent seats with which it is furnished.
In 1859, the school district now known as No. 49, was organized as No. 42, afterwards called sub-district No. 2. The original building, known as the Central school-house, was located near the present site in the south-west corner of section 10. Miss Ellen Livingston, now wife of A. J. Bonham of Lakeville, was the first teacher. In June, 1859, a vote was taken to erect a new school building, which was accordingly done the same summer. It is a well-built frame structure, twenty by thirty feet, and cost about $700. The ground, one acre in extent, was donated by William Pool.
District No. 36, afterwards sub-district No. 4, but now designated No. 48, was organized in 1858 by Joseph F. Bean, who taught the first term during the winter of 1858 and '59, at the house of Peter Thompson. The first school-house was built in 1859, and was a log building in section 29, opposite the present rectory of the Lutheran synod church. The present building was erected in 1878 at a cost of $700. It is a fine frame building, twenty by thirty feet, with bell and belfry, and is furnished with patent seats. The district is large and fifty-two scholars are enrolled upon the school register.
District No. 50 was organized as at present, October 3d, 1874, at the house of T. McCluskey, in section 12, when a vote was taken to build a school-house on the present site in the center of section 1. On the 7th of the following November, the board met at the house of C. D. Haynes, and let the contract to build the school-house, to John E. Kelly for $418. The structure is eighteen by twenty-eight feet. Miss Florence Seward of Lakeville was the first teacher, and about twenty scholars were present at the organization of the school. It now numbers about twenty-eight. The district is a joint one between Eureka and Lakeville.
District No. 51 was organized in 1863, and is a joint district between Eureka and Castle Rock. Prior to the opening of any regular school district school, about 1862 or '63, a subscription school was taught by Miss Marian Wing, in an old log house on the premises of Phineas Roach in section 26, and directly afterward a select school was commenced at the house of C. C. Waters, section 25, by Annie Pryor. The first school-house in the district was built on the public highway, on the east line of section 26. The building is still standing and in use at present, though it will doubtless soon be replaced by a new and better one, as it is considerably out of repair. Miss Elizabeth Wells taught the first school in the building. About twenty scholars are now enrolled.
July 2d, 1867, at the house of J. P. Campbell, in section 36, district No. 52 was organized, being a joint district between Eureka and Green Vale. Considerable opposition was experienced before this district could be completely organized, but it was finally overcome. Directly after the organization a tax of $400 was voted to build a schoolhouse. The work was commenced at once, and by the opening of winter the building was ready for occupancy. The first term of school was taught in the winter of 1867 and '68, by Miss Elizabeth Wells of East Castle Rock. The cost of the building was about $600. It is still in use and in good repair. It is located in the south-east corner of section 35.
District number 85 was organized out of territory formerly embraced in the old sub-district number 5. The organization was effected September 28th, 1868, at the house of O. Oleson. The inhabitants of this district are all Scandinavians, and the number of scholars about thirteen. A frame school building 16x24 feet was erected in the autumn of 1868, at a cost of $310, exclusive of the patent seats and apparatus with which it is furnished. The ground was donated for the purpose by Halver Oleson, and is located in the center of section 27. The first term was taught by Miss Paulina Paulson.
These comprise all the public school districts of the township. There are about three half sections of land near the north line of the town attached to school houses located in Lakeville, also quite a territory that has no organized district as the land belongs mostly to non-residents. There are also parochial schools connected with both of the Lutheran churches of the town.
Religious services were held in Eureka during 1856, and possibly in 1855, by different itinerant evangelists. Rev. J. A. Sterret and Rev. J. G. Riheldaffer held services in 1856, and in the winter of the same year, services were conducted at the house of D. J. Lumsden. Rev. D. P. Broun, a native of Sweden, held services among the Scandinavians during this year. He is said to have been a man of learning and ability, though traditions are not so well agreed as to the sincerity and depth of his religious convictions. When last heard from he was an officer in the volunteer service during the late civil conflict.
The first church organization in which the inhabitants of the future town of Eureka participated, was denominated the Vermillion Presbyterian church. The society was formed December 6th, 1856, at the house of James Sayers, Lakeville, by Rev. J. A. Sterrett of Wisconsin, and Rev. J. G. Riheldaffer of St. Paul. Five members formed the nucleus of the society, viz: James Sayers, wife and two children and Jacob Van Doren. The two gentlemen members were appointed elders. Silas G. Schofield, Samuel Livingston and others joined soon after, and the church now has a membership of about twenty. Rev. F. A. Pratt was the first regular pastor. Rev. Mr. Thayer succeeded him, and Rev. Mr. Rogers is now in charge, preaching every alternate Sabbath. For a time services were held at the residence of James Sayers, afterwards at school-house number 44, Lakeville. The ground, comprising one acre, on the north-east quarter of section 4, to be devoted to church purposes, was donated by Jacob Van Doren, and the present church building was erected in 1866. The money for the purpose was raised by subscription, and the cost of the house, exclusive of the seats, was about $900. Ceiling, and other improvements, have since been added at a cost of about $200.
In 1856, a Methodist class was organized at the house of J. W. Youngblood, Lakeville, by Chas. Jones as class leader, under authority delegated by the Methodist conference of St. Paul. The class consisted of eight members, viz.: Charles Jones and wife, Isaac Van Doren, Elizabeth Houts, Willis B. Reed and wife, and Tolcut Alderman. Rev. L. D. Brown preached the first sermon, and soon afterwards Rev. J. O. Rich became the pastor. At first, services were held in private residences, and after 1857, at school district house No. 44, Lakeville, until the completion of the Vermillion Presbyterian church, which the latter have since kindly shared with the Methodist congregation. They have also a Union Sunday school. The Methodist society has prospered, and now numbers twenty-one members.
Professor Larson, of Decorah, Iowa, made a missionary trip to the Norwegian settlement in Eureka, in 1857, and effected a partial organization of a church and society, which is known as the Christiana Synod church. Regular ministerial work was begun in 1859, by Rev. B. J. Muns, of Holden, Goodhue county, as visiting pastor in charge. He continued in care of the congregation until the present pastor, Rev. N. A. Quammen was called to the pastorate in 1866. This has been a most prosperous organization, the membership having increased from two hundred and forty, in 1866, to four hundred and thirty at the present time. Before the erection of the present commodious church edifice in 1867, the congregation worshipped in the public schoolhouse, No. 48. Their house of worship now stands near the east line of section 29, on the south side of the main highway. It is 34x48 feet, with an addition 22x24 feet, and was erected at a cost of about $3,000.
Connected with the church is a church farm of eighty acres, purchased as railway lands in 1868, at a cost of $5 per acre. The farm is now highly improved. The present rectory is about four hundred yards west of the church, and was erected in 1879. It is a very handsome, commodious frame building, containing fifteen rooms, furnished with great taste. Altogether, it is probably the finest and most complete residence in the town.
There is now, in connection with the church society, a parochial school, which is taught in the public school building, No. 48, while that school is not in session. The religious portion of the instruction is taught in the Norse language. The pupils are instructed in the catechism, the history of the Bible, forms of church worship, etc.
The formal organization of the Christiana congregation occurred July 15th, 1861, at the house of Seger Larson, with a membership of about one hundred. They now have increased to three hundred and fifty. For a time, services were held at the school-house, No. 48. In 1865, the first church building was erected, which was in use until 1878, when the present fine house was constructed. The contract was let to Messrs. Larson and Swenson, builders and contractors, of St. Paul, at about $3,000. It is 36x60 feet, with spire. The seats were manufactured in Minneapolis, and are of half walnut. The pulpit is of walnut. The bell weighs 1,400 pounds, and was purchased at a cost of $200. This is one of the finest church edifices in the county. It is situated on the highest ground for miles, and, with its tall spire, forms a conspicuous landmark for the surrounding country. It is located on the south-west line of section 28, on the main road from Christiana to the Dodd road, and within two hundred yards of the Synod church, described above.
The church farm, comprising eighty acres with the rectory thereon, is situated about two miles north-west of the church, in section 19. The farm was purchased fourteen years ago, at a cost of $1,000, to which improvements have since been added exceeding $700. The premises are occupied by the present pastor, Rev. Mr. Wikie. The parochial school is taught by Lewis Paulson, at his home in section 21. The course of instruction is similar to that of the Synod church, described above, and is carried on in the Norse tongue.
The Greenwood Cemetery Association was organized in May, 1867, at the Vermillion church, by Col. R. S. Donaldson, Jacob Van Doren, Isaac Van Doren, G. B. Mallery, A. R. Kingsley, Charles Jones, Isaac Curry and William Coburn. Two acres of ground were purchased of Jacob Van Doren adjoining the Vermillion church on the west, and laid out and platted by J. F. Sparks, June 3d, 1867. The lots were made twenty feet square, and the price of each $10. In 1876, an additional two acres were purchased and surveyed and platted, although none of the new lots have yet been sold or used. The object of the association is to furnish a burial place for the surrounding community without regard to sect, or religious denomination, and all money received is expended in beautifying the grounds. Numerous fir and shade trees have already been set out, and the attention which is expended upon the different lots will in a few years make of this burial place a very attractive and lovely spot. The location is happily chosen, elevated and central. A place is set aside for the burial of strangers and the poor. The first interment was that of Z. A. Bonham, aged 79, a native of Virginia and a respected citizen of Lakeville. Quite a number of bodies have been removed from other localities and interred there. The grounds were formerly fenced, but this was removed on account of the drifting of the snow. By the constitution and by laws of the association, each person owning a lot is entitled to cast one vote at the annual or special meetings for election of trustees or the transaction of other business. The officers consist of three trustees, an ex-officio president, a secretary, and a treasurer. The first officers were Col. R. S. Donaldson, G. B. Mallery and Isaac Van Doren, trustees, elected respectively for three, two and one years. R. S. Donaldson was chosen president; G. B. Mallery, secretary; and Isaac Van Doren, treasurer. Annual meetings are held in May, and one trustee chosen for a term of three years.
Attached to the Christiana Synod church there is a cemetery containing about three acres. It is managed entirely in connection with the church, and has been in existence since the erection of the church building in 1866. Prior to that time the cemetery was located near the post-office of Christiana. There is also a similar cemetery in connection with the church of the Christiana congregation, which was located with the church at the time of its erection in 1865. It covers with the church one acre of land. Besides these different cemeteries there are two deserted places of burial used in earlier times, and situated in section 21, upon the hill above the Christiana post office.
Christiana is the only post-office in Eureka township. It was established in 1859, at the house of Dominick Moes, section 19, with Magnus Sampson as postmaster, and Dominick Moes as deputy. In 1861, Mr. Sampson enlisted in the army, when Silas C. Schofield was appointed postmaster in his stead, and the office was removed to his residence where it remained fourteen years, when he resigned and Albert G. Oleson was appointed his successor. He removed the office to its present site on section 21, and opened a small store of general provisions, which he kept until 1879. He has never resigned his commission, although he is absent and C. H. Gulbrandson attends to the business of the office. There has never been more than one mail per week, although considerable mail matter has passed through the office. Formerly this station was on the old mail and stage route between St. Paul and Faribault. There is a black-smith and wagon shop at Christiana, owned and operated by C. H. Gulbrandson, having a thriving business from the farmers of the surrounding country.
Railroad and market facilities. Although no railroad crosses the town, yet the citizens enjoy excellent conveniences for railway transit. The three stations of Farmington, Lakeville and Castle Rock are within easy distance of the different portions of the town. Either of these villages affords also the best of markets for grain and other provisions. The products of the farm and dairy also find ready market in St. Paul and Minneapolis, which are distant from these stations not more than an hour or two by rail.
[History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings, by Edward D. Neill, North Star Publishing Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1882, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman] Return to top of page
Read another history of Eureka Township. (Published Earlier)
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails