Dakota County Minnesota
NOTE: The following history is from an 1882 publication, the term "town" is sometimes used when referring to the township.
TOWNSHIP OF WATERFORD.
This town is situated in the south part of the county and bounded on the north by Castle Rock, on the east by Sciota, on the south by Rice county and on the west by Green Vale. It was originally part of Sciota, as formed by the county board April 6th, 1858, but at their meeting held April 20th following, they changed the west half of Sciota to Waterford. It is seldom that a town is seen whose landscape is more pleasing to the eye, or whose soil is better adapted to agriculture. The surface is slightly undulating in the north, increasing until quite rolling in the south, especially so in the vicinity of Cannon river, which crosses the south line of the town about a half mile east of the south-west corner, flows northeasterly and crosses the east line about eighty rods south of the north-east corner of section 21. Chub creek, a small stream, flows across the town from west to east near the center crossing the west line near the quarter post on the west side of section 7, and the east line about eighty rods south of the north-east corner of section 16. A branch called Mud creek, crosses the west line about eighty rods north of the south-west corner of section 18, flows north-easterly and empties into Chub creek near the north-east corner of the same section. When the town was first settled there was a small body of timber in the southwest corner, also upon a small island in the Cannon river. Most of this has been cut to meet the wants of settlers, and a second growth has taken its place. Aside from this, the town is prairie. The soil is principally a black loam, with sufficient sand to quicken it, and a clay subsoil.
The principal production is wheat, although Some attention is paid to growing stock, especially horses, of which some very fine ones are bred.
SETTLEMENT. In the fall of 1852 a party of adventurers left Cottage Grove, in Washington county, in a lumber wagon in quest of homes. They crossed the Mississippi at St. Paul and turned their faces south. They wended their way along, examining the country here and there, but found nothing that pleased them until they reached the valley of the Cannon river. They were so favorably impressed that they decided to make it their future home. This party consisted of Warren Atkinson, John Lanphear, James Benson, Frank Thompson, Simeon Odell and Ira Godfrey. The latter three made their claims in Rice county near the present site of Northfield. They staked out their claims, returned to Cottage Grove and went back in the spring of 1853. Of this party of pioneers, only one now lives in the town-Mr. Lanphear. He made his claim partly in each of sections 20 and 29, where he has since lived and raised his family, consisting of two sons and one daughter. The daughter (Georgian) is married to E. B. Armstrong and is now living in Hastings. In the fall of 1853, Abel Lanphear (father of John) moved out and built on his son's claim, who, being single at that time, lived with him. Travel was so great, subsequently, by parties looking up land that a stopping place of some sort was a necessity, and Mr. Lanphear concluded to fill this want in the community, which he did to the general satisfaction of his guests for a number of years. The greatest trouble at first was to get enough to cook for their guests, but they overcame that in a short time, when crops began to be produced. Mrs. Lanphear died in 1863, and was buried on the farm. Subsequently her body was moved to Rose Leaf cemetery. Mr. Lanphear died in 1870, at the age of eighty-eight, and was buried in the cemetery lot given by R. C. Masters, and subsequently moved to Rose Leaf cemetery, where himself and wife lie side by side. Jerome Benson made his claim just east of Mr. Lanphear's, in the southeast quarter of section 20 and the north-east quarter of section 29. He kept it about two years, then sold to Lewis Hill, and returned to Cottage Grove whence he came. Mr. Hill also sold out in about a year and returned to Washington county. Warren Atkinson made his claim in the south-east quarter of section 19 and the north-east quarter of section 30, adjoining John Lanphear on the west. After securing his claim, he went east and did not return until 1854, when, with his brother Charles, who came out in the spring of 1853, and R. C. Masters as surveyor, he laid out the town of Waterford, which was located just south of the site of the present village, but like many western towns it fell on the hands of its proprietors. Mr. Atkinson sold out in a few years, and now lives in Northfield. Charles Atkinson made his claim just west of his brother Warren's in sections 19 and 30, where lie lived until several years ago, when he lost his farm. He lived in the town until 1880, when he went to Wadena county, where he now lives.
Mr. Masters made his claim just west of Charles Atkinson, on which he lived until about eight years ago, when he sold, and now lives in Little Falls. He was a practical surveyor, and was about the only one to attend to that branch of work for some time. The records attest to his having done considerable of it.
From 1852 to 1855, very little progress was made in the settlement of the then frontier town. It was the home of the "red man," with now and then a "pale-face." The Indians were friendly, but a constant source of annoyance from their begging propensities. A few settlers came in 1853 and 1854, but in 1855, they came in fast, and it was not long before all the available land in the town was claimed. Those that came in 1854, aside from those already mentioned, were Deacon Ami Nichols and Dr. Z. B. Nicholas, E. F. Cowell, E. S. Bill, J. J. Alexander and Charles Livingston. Deacon Nichols came in May of that year, and made his claim in section 20, joining Mr. Lanphear on the north, where he lived until 1878, when he sold, and now lives in Northfield. The doctor made his claim next east, where he lived a number of years, following the practice of medicine. He now lives in Faribault, and still practices in his profession.
Mr. Bell entered the army in 1862, returned at the close of the war, and bought the farm he now lives on. E. F. Cowell came in the fall of 1854, and made his claim in the south-west quarter of section 7. He being a carpenter, was employed putting up buildings for some of his neighbors until winter, when he returned east for his family. He brought them back in the spring of 1855, and located on his claim, where he lived several years, when he sold his farm and bought another in section 16. After several removals, he is now on his original claim, having rented it. His son Alford lives on the farm in section 16. Charles Livingston also came that fall, and made his claim on the east side of section 21, which was jumped during his absence, and he made another claim in the north-west quarter of section 17, where he lived a number of years, then sold and moved to Castle Rock, where he still lives. J. J. Alexander made his claim partly in Rice county and built his house there, consequently is a resident of that county.
S. W. Mattison came in during 1853, and remained about a year, when he pre-empted a quarter section of land in Green Vale. In 1872, he returned to Waterford, and has since lived there. Of those who came in 1855, we find Dr. E. Hammond, Dr. Moses Porter, Robert Maloney, Stephen Budd, Mr. Coburn and Mr. Green. Michael Simmons, Isaac Manchester, Charles Osborn., Orange Mattison, James Livingston, Mr. Baker, John Bodger, John Simpson, James W. Roath and T. H. Olin. Dr. Hammond came in May, and made his claim in the north-east quarter of section 20, where he still resides. Dr. Porter made his claim in the north-east quarter of section 19.
He followed the practice of medicine until near his death, which occurred about four years since. Mr. Budd and Mr. Maloney both settled on section 19. Mr. Budd first started to make a claim in Rice county, but changed his mind. The following fall, after making his claim in section 19, he returned east. When he came back in the spring, he found his claim had been jumped by Mr. Maloney, who had sold it and moved into Green Vale. After several removals, Mr. Budd settled on the place where he now lives, in the south-east quarter of section 20. Mr. Coburn made his claim in the north-east quarter of section 21, which he sold in a few years, and went further west. Mr. Green also made his claim in section 21, which he kept a few years, then sold. Mr. Simmons came in the fall and jumped the claim of Charles Livingston, in the eastern part of section 21. He was drowned the following spring in the Cannon river, that being the first death of a white person in the town. Mr. Manchester located in the north-east quarter of section 29, where he lived a number of years, when he sold and bought where he now lives, in southeast quarter of section 18. Mr. Osborn located in the north-west quarter of section 28, where he lived several years, when he sold and went to the mountains in the west. Mr. Mattison made his claim in section 18, on which he lived a number of years, then sold and went further west. Mr. Livingston made his claim in the western part of section 30, which he kept about two years and then sold. He now lives in Lyon county. Mr. Baker made a claim, but soon left and never returned. Mr. Bodger came in the fall and made his claim in the north-west quarter of section 7, where he lived until 1864, when he entered the army. He died in Hastings on his way home to be discharged. Mr. Simpson made his claim partly in Green Vale and partly in Waterford, but built on the south-west quarter of section 19, where he still lives. Mr. Roath made his claim in the south-east quarter of section 7, then returned east for his family, came back in the spring of 1856, and remained on his claim a number of years, then sold and went to Douglas county. From this time forward settlement was so rapid that to give individual mention would absorb too much space, even if it were desirable. Judging from the appearance of the country now, one would say that the farmers of this town were exceptionally supplied with this world's goods. The plentifulness of good water, the fertility of the soil, and its nearness to good markets, have combined to make it a very desirable town to locate in.
The first birth in the town was that of Jeannette C. Howell. She was the daughter of S. C. and Permelie Howell. He had made a claim in Green Vale, and while he was fitting it to receive his family, he lived in the shanty of Warren Atkinson, and there the child was born, August 3d, 1855. She grew to womanhood and married Ellis Gibson, and they live in Grant county, Dakota territory. The second child born in the town was also born in the same shanty, and was the daughter of Isaac Manchester. She was born March 18th, 1856. She is still living with her parents, near the Waterford Union church.
The first marriage of parties connected with the town was that of John Lanphear to Miss A. Alexander, of Northfield. They were married in June, 1855. The next marriage was that of Warren Atkinson to Miss Ellen A. Nichols, both belonging in the town. They were married in June, 1855.
On the 11th of May, 1858, the first town meeting was held. As it was for the purpose of organizing the town, we give the call in full as it appears on the town records. "Notice is hereby given, that on the second Tuesday, the 11th day of May, 1858, at the school-house in Waterford, in the town of Waterford, which is described as follows, to-wit: All in Dakota county, of the west half of township 112 north, range number 17, west of the fifth principal meridian, an election will be held for the purpose of choosing three supervisors, one of whom shall be designated as chairman, one town clerk, one assessor, one collector, one overseer of the poor, two constables, two justices of the peace, and as many overseers of roads as there are road districts in the town, to-wit: to overseers of roads, one for district number 1, consisting of sections 19, 20, 21, 28, 29 and 30, and one for district number 2, which contains the rest of the town; which election will be opened by the electors of said town, choosing a moderator, between the hours of nine and ten o'clock in the forenoon, and will continue open until five o'clock in the afternoon of said day."
According to this notice, on the day appointed, the legal voters of the town assembled at the school-house in Waterford, L. S. Lewis was chosen chairman. On motion, R. C. Masters was chosen moderator, and J. N. Bill, clerk. The meeting then adjourned to G. W. Forsaith's store; the following persons were elected to the different offices for the ensuing year: A. N. Nourse, chairman; James B. Green, and J. W. Roath, supervisors; John Simpson, assessor; E. S. Bill, collector; J. N. Bill, clerk; Moses Porter, overseer of the poor; G. I. Porter and Orange Mattison, justices of the peace; E. S. Bill and Charles Livingston, constables; Orange Mattison was elected road overseer in district number 1, and Charles Livingston, in district number 2. With these men the town was launched upon its independent political career. In the matter of temperance, it is one of the banner towns of the state. It does not now, nor has it ever, allowed liquor to be sold within its borders. The majority always voting "no" whenever the question of licensing the sale of liquor within its limits comes before them. An occasional attempt to sell on the sly has been made, but it has always been a losing venture. We have a case in view now of a merchant guilty of selling liquor in violation of law. It was not long before the temperance element among the citizens turned his liquor into the street and obliged him to pay a heavy fine besides. Following we give the names of the members of the town board and town clerks since its organization. The first name in each case, being the chairman.
* 1859-J. N. Bill, C. S. Osborn, John Simpson, supervisors; J. W. Roath, clerk.
* 1860-H. W. Tew, Benjamin Crosby, Edwin Cowell, supervisors; Warren Atkinson, clerk.
* 1861-G. I. Porter, Urial Butler, Z. B. Nichols, supervisors; G. C. Canfield, clerk.
* 1862-G. I. Porter, Roland Weeks, J. W. Roath, supervisors; G. C. Canfield, clerk. On account of the resignation of Roland Weeks, to enter the army, John Simpson was appointed August 29th, 1862, to fill his place the remainder of the term. The chairman, Mr. Porter, also resigned and H. W. Tew was appointed October 15th, 1862, to fill his place.
* 1863-Ezra Hammond, G. W. Folsaith, Isaac Manchester, supervisors; G. C. Canfield, clerk. May 12th, 1863, Mr. Hammond resigned on account of ill health, and Ralph Hatten was appointed in his place June 6th, following.
* 1864-G. C. Canfield, John Simpson, J. P. Naglee, supervisors; J. W. Roath, clerk. Mr. Naglee failed to qualify and A. M. Nichols was appointed in his place April 22d, 1864. On account of the resignation of Mr. Canfield, A. L. Dixson was appointed chairman of the board, February 5th, 1865. Mr. Roath also resigned his position as clerk, February 13th, 1865, and A. E. Dixson was appointed his successor the same day.
* 1865 and 1866-R. C. Masters, Ezra Hammond, A. L. Dixson, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1867-J. N. Bill, James Simpson, Ralph Hatten, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1868-W. H. Eckles, J. N. Bill, C. D. Scarborough, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1869-C. W. Mann, Orange Mattison, A. B. Hale, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1870-J. W. Roath, A. B. Hale, E. S. Bill, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1871-J. W. Roath, C. P. Nichols, W. A. Gray, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1872-W. A. Gray, E. S. Bill, C. P. Nichols, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1873-W. A. Gray, A. L. Dixson, Newton Parsons, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk.
* 1874-M. K. Pike, C. P. Nichols, E. S. Bill, supervisors; A. E. Dixson, clerk. On account of the death of Mr. Dixson the office of town clerk became vacant and George Gray was appointed to fill the vacancy, September 30th, 1874.
* 1875-M. K. Pike, E. S. Bill, G. R. Terry, supervisors; J. S. Nichols, clerk.
* 1876-M. K. Pike, E. S. Bill, G. W. Leach, supervisors; J. S. Nichols, clerk.
* 1877-M. K. Pike, John Lanphear, G. R. Terry, supervisors; George Gray, clerk.
* 1878-J. N. Bill, A. L. Dixson, Jr., P. J. Becksted, supervisors; George Gray, clerk.
* 1879 and 1880-M. K. Pike, A. Howland, W. L. Kinyon, supervisors; I. G. Hodgson, clerk.
* 1881-James Babb, G. C. Chamberlain, W. L. Kinyon, supervisors; I. G. Hodgson, clerk; Alonzo Howland treasurer; H. H. Barker, assessor; J. R. Sumner, justice; S. W. Mattison, constable.
We copy the following minutes from the town records entire, because we think they deserve a place in this history of the county, and that all may know what Waterford was capable of doing in a time when the general government was in need of both men and money. At a special town meeting held August 15th, 1864, for the purpose of raising money to pay volunteers to aid in suppressing the rebellion in the south, the following minutes will explain what was done."Meeting was called to order by the town clerk, and upon motion, I. C. Masters, H. E. C. Barrett and Warren Atkinson were appointed a committee to draft resolutions for the adoption of said meeting. The aforesaid committee presented a resolution as follows, to-wit: 'Resolved that the said town (of Waterford) issue town orders to the amount of $4,000, or so much thereof as may be necessary, bearing interest at twelve per cent per annum, payable one-third in one, one-third in two, and one-third in three years from the first day of April, 1864, with interest payable on the first day of April, 1865, and annually thereafter. Orders to be issued by the town clerk and countersigned by the board of supervisors, in such sums as the board of supervisors, in their discretion may direct, for the purpose of paying bounties to volunteers who may enlist from or be accredited to the town of Waterford, to fill the quota of the town under the call of the president in July, A. D. 1864, for five hundred thousand volunteers, or subsequent calls.' The aforesaid resolution was unanimously adopted by acclamation in said meeting."
The town board met February 3d, 1865, to consider a petition by the people of the town, calling for a special election, to enable them to vote upon the question of taxing the town for the purpose of raising a bounty for volunteers from the town of Waterford, and also to vote a special tax to be appropriated to the payment of war bounty taxes which have or may be levied on the property of soldiers who have enlisted, or may be in the United States service. In accordance with this petition, a special town meeting was called and held February 13th, following. Ralph Hatten was chosen moderator. Patrick Butler offered a resolution that a bounty be given to all soldiers who had enlisted from the town without a town bounty, which was ruled out, as not coming under the rules for proceedings under the call for the election. R. C. Masters offered the following resolution, to-wit: "Resolved, that town orders to the amount of $2,500, or so much thereof as may be necessary, bearing interest at the rate of twelve per cent per annum, payable the first of April, 1866, may be issued by the town clerk, and countersigned by the chairman of the board of supervisors, in such sums as the board, in their discretion may direct, for the purpose of paying bounties to volunteers enlisting, or being accredited to the town of Waterford to fill the quota of the town under the calls for volunteers to to this date, and also to cancel the amount of taxes for bounties, assessed against the property of George Porter, Charles H. Atkinson, Edward S. Bill, and Thomas Cowell, in the service without bounties, and that the sum be issued annually as soon as taxes are payable by the clerk and chairman of the board of supervisors, payable out of the funds raised by this tax." The resolution was carried by a vote of twenty-eight to eight. The next day the board met and issued bonds to the amount of nearly $1,600. A large amount of both these issues of bonds was taken by the residents of the town. Bounties to the amount of $2,069.65 were paid to volunteers. The total amount paid by the town to redeem all bonds issued, was $4,022.19.
The pioneers of this town, being intelligent, realized that the maintenance of our system of government depended upon good common schools. As soon as there was a sufficient number of children, they began preparations to establish one. This they succeeded in doing in 1858. During the summer of that year, a school was taught by Miss Lydia Alexander of Northfield, in a frame house that had been built for a store, but never used as such, and located on the present site of the village of Waterford. During that season, a school-house was erected near the site of the Grange mill, but was blown down before it was completed. Upon consideration, the location for the house was changed to the east side of the road in the south-east quarter of section 19, just north of the section line between sections 19 and 30. It was a frame building, about 18x24 feet, and capable of comfortably seating about forty-five scholars. This building was used until the present one was built a few rods further south, and on the village plat. It is also frame, contains patent seats, and belongs to what is now district No. 72. The scholars in the district number about fifty. The town now contains two entire and three joint districts, with four school-houses, all frame. The school-house in district 68 is located in the southeast corner of the north-east quarter of section 4. The one belonging to No. 71, is located in the north-west angle of the east and west and north and south roads, in the north-west quarter of section 20, and the one belonging to district 87, is located on the line between Rice and Dakota counties, and in the south-east quarter of section 29.
As early as 1855, a Sabbath-school was organized in the shanty of Warren Atkinson. There were about seventeen scholars, and Deacon Ami Nichols was chosen superintendent. He held the position continuously until 1874, with the exception of two years. During one of these, Dr. E. Hammond was superintendent, and the other, J. N. Bill. The school has been prosperous from the beginning, and now numbers seventy scholars. In former times, the school was conducted at Mr. Atkinson's shanty and at the school-house. Since the building of the Waterford Union church it has been conducted in that. Upon the resignation of Deacon Nichols as superintendent, Charles P. Nichols was elected and has occupied the position since.
The first religious services in the town were conducted by the Rev. Joseph Rounce, during the summer of 1855, at the house of Deacon Nichols. From that time until 1876, the religious meetings were held in private houses and at the schoolhouses. A meeting was held May 10th, 1876, by those interested in such matters; to consider the propriety of building a church. As a result of this meeting, another was held the 15th of the same month and the Waterford Union Evangelical society was organized. C. P. Nichols and E. S. Bill were appointed a committee to draft a set of resolutions and by-laws, and the following officers were elected, C. P. Nichols, E. S. Bill and E. N. Lord, directors; J. S. Nichols, secretary, and J. W. Okins, treasurer. The church was built the same year and located on the east side of the St. Paul road, in the south-east quarter of section 17, and on land owned by Isaac Manchester. The cost of the building was $1,200, which was raised by subscription. The dedication ceremonies took place in December of that year, under the leadership of the Revs. D. L. Leonard and E. S. Williams. The financial condition of the society is good. The membership is about thirty, and includes many of the leading men of the town.
The pleasant little village of Waterford is situated on the north side of the Cannon river, on a rise of ground sloping toward the river. As may be readily conceived it is pleasantly located. The inhabitants have spread out before them, like a panorama, as fine a view as heart could wish. The village was laid out on land owned by the Cannon River Manufacturing Company, in the north-east quarter of section 30, by R. H. L. Jewett, in September, 1873, and filed for record in the register of deed's office January 6th, 1874. Being so near the city of Northfield, it was not expected that a market town would be built up, but it furnishes a nucleus for the people connected with the mill, and those wishing a quiet village life, to gather round and make pleasant homes.
The first attempt at a village here, was as elsewhere stated, made by the two Atkinson brothers and R. C. Masters, in 1855, but proved unsuccessful. About that time Lewis Brothers built a small saw-mill, not far from the present site of the grange mill. It did not prosper and was soon torn down and abandoned. The first post-office in the town was established here in 1854, Warren Atkinson was the postmaster and held the office until 1857, when he resigned in favor of a Mr. Goss, who started a store at that time. He was succeeded by A. M. Nichols in 1862. He held the office until 1877, when J. N. Bell was appointed. He was succeeded in 1880, by S. W. Mattison, the present incumbent.
In 1874, John Empy came to the village and built a store in which he placed a general stock of goods, and has identified himself with the interests of the village since. The same year Charles Burke built a blacksmith and repairing shop. He also manufactures, to some extent, wagon and carriage material.
M. Tramm, besides his farm and wood yard, operates a lime-kiln where lie turns out a good quality of lime at fair prices.
D. L. Tyler has just put in a small stock of goods in his house, situated just north of Mr. Empy's store. He is also engaged in the manufacture of a liniment and vermin exterminator.
THE GRANGE MILL.
This fine mill is owned by the Cannon River Manufacturing Company. The company was organized under the auspices of the different granges in the vicinity, for the purpose of erecting and operating a mill at Waterford to manufacture flour, to do a general milling business and to be devoted to the interests of the farmers generally. The committee appointed in January, 1873, to select the site were Messrs. Bill, Bowe and Bailey. They reported in favor of the site where the village of Waterford now stands and received instructions to secure it, which they did by purchasing about sixty acres of land of R. C. Masters and also ten acres of timber land of H. Scriber. The first board of directors consisted of E. S. Bailey, Andrew Whitson, Jonathan Miller, L. N. Hustis, T. Bowman, J. S. Way, T. C. F. Peutz, John Clague, H. Pryor, T. C. Childs, George Chamberlain, M. K. Pike and J. N. Bill.
E. S. Bailey was chosen president and J. N. Bill, secretary. The capital stock was fixed at $40,000, with the privilege of increasing it to $50,000. The site determined on, required the construction of a long dike on the south side of the river, across the flat to the edge of the rising ground, which, however, when completed, gave them a fine fall of water.
As with most enterprises of this character, many trials arose to hinder, but not to discourage the managers, and the mill was built and in operation by December, the same year of its inception. It has a capacity for manufacturing 200 barrels daily. In 1874, the company built an elevator just west of the mill. It has capacity for fifty thousand bushels. They also purchased later a cooper shop of T. H. Partch, who built it in 1875, and manufacture their own barrels. In 1878, they purchased the Granville mills, having a capacity for manufacturing sixty barrels per day, and situated about six miles further down the Cannon river in Goodhue county. About thirty-live men are employed in the two mills and shops connected with them. They are now engaged in changing both the mills to the roller system. When this is completed, the capacity of both mills will be about three hundred and fifty barrels per day. The stock of the company has never been sold below par, and their property is now valued at $80,000. The present officers are E. S. Drake, president; Jonathan Miller, secretary; J. R. Sumner, treasurer and business manager.
Rose Leaf cemetery is situated in the northeast quarter of section 17. It contains one and a half acres of land, and was given to the town by Dr. Z. B. Nichols, in 1856. The first person buried there was George Swaile, who was drowned in the Cannon river. I. C. Masters also gave a piece of land in section 20, at the north-west corner of the village plat. Arrangements were made to transfer the bodies from this spot to Rose Leaf cemetery. A number have been removed, and the remainder will probably be conveyed there during the present year, when, according to the original contract, the land will revert to R. C. Masters, or his heirs.
Waterford Lodge number 174, I. O. G. T., was organized April 5th, 1876, with twenty-three charter members. The officers for the first quarter, ending April 25th, 1876, were: T. H. Partch, P. W. C. T.; Stillman Meeker, W. C. T.; Mary Hamilton, W. V. T.; A. D. Fitch, W. Chap.; E. C. Bullis, R. S.; Mrs. E. C. Bullis, Ass't R. S.; I. G. Hodgson, F. S.; Giles Campbell, T.; L. Lanphear, M.; Emily Campbell, Ass't M.; Mrs. D. P. Brockway, I. G.; S. M. Hamilton, O. G.; T. H. Partch, L. D.; Lizzie Tyler, R. H. S.; Julia Mattison, L. H. S. Meetings were held at the Waterford school-house, and the membership increased to about sixty. From various causes the interest in the lodge waned, and the final meeting was held in January, 1877.
Northern Light Grange, P. of H. number 58, was organized in the fall of 1871, by Deputy William A. Gray, at the school-house in district number 71. The first officers were: J. N. Bill, M.; J. W. Roath, O.; G. C. Chamberlain, L.; C. P. Nichols, S.; H. Barrett, Ass't S.; A. B. Hale, Chap.; A. E. Dixson, Sec.: J. W. Okins, G. K. Mrs. Chamberlain, Pomona; Mrs. Manchester, Flora; Mrs. S. Mouser, L. A. S. Meetings were held the second and fourth Saturdays of each month. The membership increased to thirty-five. After several years of successful operation the interest of the members began to flag, and their charter was surrendered in 1876.
A melancholy occurrence took place in January, 1866. The circumstances connected with it, as near as we can learn, are as follows: James Bulger had claims against one John Donoghoe, which he refused to pay. An attachment was taken out against his property, and a constable by the name of John Masters, was sent to execute it. When he undertook to levy on some colts that were in a stable, Mr. Donoghoe stood in the door and prevented him from entering, and resisted him to such an extent that he, (the constable), went before justice Church, of Green Vale, and had a warrant issued against Donoghoe for assault and battery. Upon the approach of the party to arrest him, Donoghoe armed himself with a pitchfork. When Mr. Masters stepped up to him, he struck Mr. Masters a heavy blow on the head with the pitchfork, and knocked him down to his knees, and stood in the act of striking him again, when Mr. Masters fired at him with a shot gun, striking him in the lower part of the jaw, killing him instantly. The charge passed downward into his lungs, making a horrible wound. The body was placed in a sleigh and taken to the office of Justice Church. Mr. Masters gave himself up at once. A few necessary legal proceedings were entered into, but he was never indicted, it being apparent to the grand jury that it was a pure case of self defence.
[History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings, by Edward D. Neill, North Star Publishing Co. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1882, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman] Return to top of page
Read another history of Waterford Township. (Published Earlier)
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails