Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Douglas County, MN

 


Directories and Gazetteers


1878 Business Directory and Gazetteer

ALEXANDRIA.
The county seat and most important place in Douglas county, is situated about the center of the county and on the proposed extension of the St. Paul & Pacific R. R. branch line, which has been completed to Melrose, 38 miles distant, and is at present the nearest shipping point, the shipments consisting of wheat, flour, furs and game. It contains 4 hotels, a newspaper, a bank, grist and saw mill, a number of prosperous stores, 5 churches and 2 good school buildings. A large agricultural country is naturally tributary to Alexandria, and to this she owes her present prosperity. The population, which is increasing rapidly, is now about 1,000. Stage to Sauk Centre, Morris, Herman and Melrose. Mail, daily. Sophus N. Miller, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Aaberg Rev I, (Norwegian Lutheran).
Aaker L K, general store.
Ames A J, lawyer.
Anderson & Lundgren, furniture dealer.
Bank of Alexandria, B Ward, Pres, F B Van Hoesen, Cashier.
Ball W F, lawyer.
Bell Mrs N S, milliner and dressmaker.
Brown L J & Co, General Store.
Burr D A, flour and feed.
Cowing & Robards, hardware, stoves and tinware.
Donaldson Frederick H, publr Alexandria Post.
Dueber Frank, saddle and harnessmaker.
Freudenthal Mrs E, hotel propr.
Fulmer N B, Lawyer.
Herder J, carpenter and builder.
Hicks T T, grist and saw mill.
Hogan Bros, hotel proprs.
Holmberg S J, wagonmaker.
Johnson J H, Hotel Propr.
Junken A R, watchmaker and jeweler.
Kron Peter, Boots and Shoes.
Lewis F E, physician.
McCrory Robert, flour and feed.
McNeil R, saddle and harnessmaker.
Nelson & Reynolds, lawyers.
Norde & Kortsch, general store.
Oppel Christ, boots and shoes.
Osborn Rev I T, (Episcopal).
Purdan Andrew, wagonmaker.
Purdan & Walker, grocers.
Roe George H, fruit, confectionery, etc.
Sage H L, carpenter and builder.
Schultz Charles, gunsmith.
Shippey H, hotel propr.
Sims & Jenkins, Hardware, Stoves and Tinware.
Sims & Nelson, drugs, paints and oils.
Smith Rev P S, (Congregational).
Solum O & Son, Hardware.
Sunblad, Larson & Co, general store.
Vivian G, physician.
Walker Robert, blacksmith.
Wells Rev Wm M, (Baptist).
Wilson H H, Lumber Dealer.
Zimmerman R, general store,

BRANDON.
In Chippewa township, northwestern part of Douglas county, 16 miles from the county seat, and 160 miles from St. Paul. It is a station of the St. Vincent branch of the St. P. & P. R. R. Stage communication with Alexandria, Evansville and Millerville. Mail tri-weekly. Martin Stowe, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Dewey H C, hotel propr.
Holmgreen John, blacksmith.
Nootnagel C, physician.
Stowe Martin, merchant.

CHIPPEWA STATION
In Douglas county,m 10 miles northwest of Alexandria, the county seat.

EVANSVILLE.
In the northwestern part of Douglas county, 21 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad point. Contains a Norwegian Lutheran church and district school. Exports, wheat, wool, hides, tallow and butter. Stage to Alexandria and Fergus Falls semi-weekly. Ole Kron, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Kron & Myhr, general store.
Stadstad Rev. A I, (Norwegian Lutheran).
Williams J O, hotel propr.

HOLMES CITY.
In the township of the same name, in the southeastern part of Douglas county, 10 miles from Alexandria, the county seat. Morris is the most convenient railroad station. Settled in 1860. Has a Lutheran church and common school. Exports wheat. Stage and mail to Alexandria and Morris 4 times a week. Christopher Hougen, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Engemoen & Co, merchants.
Hougen Christopher, blacksmith.
Knudson R, merchant
Sangstad Rev Christopher.

HUDSON.
In the township of the same name, in the southeastern corner of Douglas county, 8 miles from Alexandria, the county seat. Also, a station on the St. P. & P. R. R. branch line, first division. Stages to Alexandria and Glenwood weekly. Mail twice every Saturday. John Sheldon, postmaster.

IDA.
In the northern central part of Douglas county, about 10 miles northwest of Alexandria, the county seat. A station of the St. P. & P. R. R. branch line.

JOY.
In the northeastern part of Douglas county, about 20 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad station, and 150 from St. Paul. Spruce creek at this point furnishes power for driving a saw mill. Contains a Seventh-Day Adventist church.. Exports, lumber. Stage and mail to Osakis and Parker's Prairie semi-weekly. A. W. Prettyman, postmaster.

LEAF VALLEY.
In the central northern part of Douglas county, 15 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad station, and 150 from St. Paul. E. M. Flint, postmaster.

MILL SITE.
In the southern central part of Douglas county, 13 miles southwest of Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad point.

MILLERVILLE.
In Millerville township, northwestern part of Douglas county, 20 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad point, and 170 miles from St. Paul. It is also located up on the Chippewa river, which furnishes power for a flouring mill. Settled by Germans in 1866. Contains a Catholic church and public school. Stage to Brandon and Clitherall twice a week. Mathew Kotschevar, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Badden Math, blacksmith.
Dobmeyer George, flour mill.
Hockert Peter, agrl impts.
Kotschevar Mathew, hotel.
Miksche A & Co, general store.
Staricha Joseph, saloon.

MILTONA.
A postoffice in Miltona township, northern part of Douglas county, 11 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad point. Stage to Leaf Valley once a week.

MOE.
Two or more miles southwest of the center of Douglas county and 10 miles west of Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad station.

OSAKIS.
A station on the St. P. & P. R. R., in Osakis township, eastern part of Douglas county, 12 miles from Alexandria, the county seat, and 130 miles from St. Paul. Contains a steam flouring and steam saw mill, two hotels, a number of stores and mechanic shops, and exports wheat and lumber. Express, American. Telegraph, Northwestern. Stage line to Alexandria and Spring Hill. Daily mail. J. B. Johnson, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Adley Warren, propr Lake House hotel.
Anderson Hans, blacksmith.
Crow W H, wagonmaker.
Flore & Farnseth, general store.
Johnson John B, general store and grain elevator.
Johnson O, express agent.
Mills Harvey, general store.
Paterson C, wagonmaker.
Sanderson R, saw mill.
Scranton J P, propr North Star hotel.
Stevens & Bailor, millers.
Stone J C, blacksmith.

OSCAR LAKE.
In Holmes City township, southwestern corner of Douglas county, 15 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad station. Exports farm produce. Stages to Alexandria and Morris four times per week. A. G. Sohlberg, postmaster.
BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Farmers Union Association, general store.
Engemann & Co, general store.


SPRUCE HILL.
In Spruce Hill township, northeastern part of Douglas county, 14 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railroad point, and 138 miles from St. Paul. Spruce creek at this point drives a saw mill. A Lutheran church is in course of erection. Lumber is the principal export. Stage to Osakis twice weekly. Mrs. N C Gordon, postmistress.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Gordon Bros, saw mill.


URNESS.
In the western part of Douglas county, 19 miles from Alexandria, the county seat and nearest railway station. Contains a Norwegian church and district school. Exports, wheat and oats. Semi-weekly mail. John N. Hanson, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Aldrin Oluf, town treasurer.
Anderson Magnus, assessor.
Amundson Ole, justice of the peace.
Burke A J, supervisor.
Erikson Erik, supervisor and justice of the peace.
Hanson John N, supervisor.
Moe Ole A, constable.
Walstad Ole A, supervisor.

Source: Minnesota, North and South Dakota and Montana Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1878. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.


Douglas County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails