Hennepin County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Biographies "D"


John A. Dahl
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAHL John A, Minneapolis. Res 2304 11th av S, office 615 Temple Court. Lawyer. Born Jan 20, 1866 in Sweden, son of Jonas E and Anna A Dahl. Married Oct 17, 1895 to Emma A Leveroos. Educated in Jordan Minn; graduated from U of M, A B 1892; LL B 1893; practiced in West Superior Wis 1892-97; moved to Minneapolis 1897 and has practiced law there to date; asst county atty 1899-1901. Member A F & A M; Gustavus Adolphus Society.


Theron J. Dansingberg
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DANSINGBERG Theron J, Minneapolis. Res 525 University av S E, office 508 Andrus bldg. Lumber. Born May 2, 1856 in Ypsilanti Mich, son of Jacob and Charlotte (Horton) Dansingberg. Married 1876 to Florence M Durand. Educated in seminary and normal schools Mich. Moved to Rochester Minn 1871; engaged in teaching school in Olmstead until 1873; employed in lumber business 1873-77; same Claremont Minn 1877-86; with Nelson Tenny & Co, lumber, Minneapolis 1886-96; organized H E Walker Lumber Co 1896 and has been a member to date. Member Masonic fraternity; St Anthony Commercial and Publicity clubs.


Arthur Newman Dare
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Arthur Newman Dare, the editor and publisher of the Elk River, Minnesota, "Star News," is a man whose success, achieved in newspaper publication, has been due entirely to his own unaided efforts. He was born in Jordan, Onondaga County, New York, May 25, 1850. His father, Alfred Dare, was a miller in moderate circumstances. He was a native of Wales and came to this country in 1838, when but twenty years of age. He died in 1888. Mary Matilda Allen (Dare), the mother of the subject of this sketch, was born in Vermont, in humble circumstances. The subject of this sketch had only the advantages of a common school education, with a short attendance at the village academy of his native town. He came to Minnesota with his parents in 1867, locating in Minneapolis. Here he entered the printing office of the Minneapolis Tribune, learning the trade of printer. He worked at his trade for three or four years in the Tribune office until a desire for travel took hold of him. He embarked as a sailor on a whaling ship from New Bedford, Massachusetts, in 1872, and was gone two and a half years. During this time he had many exciting adventures in New Zealand and the Pacific Ocean. On his way home he made a trip through England. Coming back to Minnesota he settled at Elk River and commenced working at his old trade. He was made local editor of the Elk River "Star," and a year later bought a half interest in this paper. The following year he bought the "Star" outright. In 1881 he bought the Elk River "News" and consolidated the two papers as the "Star-News." This paper Mr. Dare has edited and published since that time. He has built up and paying circulation, and established for his paper a good reputation, so that locally it exerts a large influence. Mr. Dare is a Republican in politics. He has no ambition politically, though he has always taken active interest in the welfare of his party. He has been Chairman of the County Republican Committee continuously for fifteen years, and in 1894 was elected to the State Legislature, though the nomination for this latter office came unsought. He was re-elected in 1896. He has for thirteen years been a member of Sherburn Lodge, A.F. & A.M. In 1879 he was married to Susan May Albee. Mr. and Mrs. Dare have three children, Daphne, Susan and Laurence.


Eugene Harry Day
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAY Eugene Harry, Minneapolis. Res 2729 Portland av, office 511 S 3d st. Lumber. Born May 26, 1867 in Minneapolis, son of John W and Lavinia (Gray) Day. Married June 24, 1896 to Mabel Conkey. Educated in the Minneapolis public schools; Phillips Academy Andover Mass and U of M. First engaged in lumber business as scaler, employed by Leonard Day & Sons; then with J W Day & Co in various capacities. Engaged in real estate and insurance business 1898 to 1902; engaged in lumber business for self under firm name of Day Lumber Co 1902 to date. Pres New York Realty Co. Member Commercial Club and Phi Kappa Psi college fraternity.


Herbert E. Day
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAY Herbert E, Minneapolis. Res 3701 Pleasant av, office 328 Central av. Lawyer. Born April 14, 1855 St Anthony Minn, son of George W and Martha (Huntley) Day. Married March 31, 1881 to Mary Shea. Educated in the public schools Minneapolis 1864-71; McLeod county schools 1874-75; Steven’s Seminary Glencoe 1876. Engaged in law practice since 1880 making a specialty of probate and real estate law. J P Minneapolis 1881-83; Democratic candidate for judge of the probate court Hennepin county 1904. Honorary member Royal Baconian Society London Eng; Native Sons of Minn.


Raymond H. Day
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DAY Raymond H, Minneapolis. Res 131 S 4th st, office 419 Bank of Commerce bldg. Lawyer. Born June 12, 1855 in Mantuwa Township Ohio, son of Ditus and Clarissa (Harris) Day. Married in 1885 to Almeda Wilson. Moved to Minn 1857. Educated in public schools Dakota county Minn; U of M 1872-76; taught school 1875-79; studied law with Judge Seagrave Smith; admitted to bar 1881 and has practiced in Minneapolis to date. Member firm of Day & Enches. Member I O O F.


William J. Dean
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DEAN William J, Minneapolis. Res 419 Oak Grove st, office 404 Washington av N. Agr impl. Born July 19, 1843 in Greenbush Can, son of Matthew and Anna (Longmoor) Dean. Married 1867 to Cordelia R Pond. Engaged in farming Shakopee 1855-62; served in 9th Minn Inf 1862-65; mercantile business Shakopee 1865-70; with Dean Murdock & Co St Paul 1870-77; in business for self in whol agricultural implements and vehicles Minneapolis to date. Dir Y M C A and Children’s Home Society; twice prohibition candidate for mayor and for governor; member G A R.


John De Laittre
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DE LAITTRE John, Minneapolis. Res 24 Grove st. Lumber. Born Mar 5, 1832 in Ellsworth Me. Married in 1865 to Clara Eastman. After public school education was a sailor 3 years; went to California and engaged in lumber, sawmill and gen store 1852-65; returned to Maine. Afterwards came to Minneapolis with firm of Eastman, Gibson & Co until 1869; sold out and entered firm of Eastman, Bovey & Co which was later incorporated as Bovey-De Laittre Lumber Co; v pres Green & De Laittre Co whol grocers. Is now heavily interested in Oregon, Washington and Idaho timber lands. Trustee and v pres Farmers & Mechanics Bank; pres Nicollet Nat’l Bank 1884-88. Mayor of Minneapolis 1877; state prison inspector 1879-1886; courthouse and city hall comnr 1889 and on the Board of State Capitol Commissioners 1893.


Scott Hauxhurst De Long
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DE LONG Scott Hauxhurst, Minneapolis. Res 1229 7th st S E, office 125 2d st N E. Manufacturer. Born June 3, 1883 at Zumbrota Minn, son of George P and Cynthia (Hauxhurst) De Long. Graduated from Hudson Wis High School 1901; passed 2 1/2 years in U of M dept of mechanical engineering. Worked summers while at school in lumber trade with father at Nickerson Minn. Treas Eddy Sash & Door Co Minneapolis from leaving school to date; treas Stanton-De Long Lumber Co.


Alfonse John Demules
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 172; transcribed by FoFG mz

Demules, Alfonse John, merchant, b. in St. Paul, Feb. 28, 1854; d. in Mankato, Minn., April 15, 1901. After 1875 he engaged in mercantile business at Sauk Rapids; removed to Mankato in 1900.


Alcede C. Demeules
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DEMEULES Alcede C, Minneapolis. Res 1601 Russell av N, office 1009 Washington av N. Manufacturer. Born March 11, 1883 in Minneapolis, son of Zephrine and Julia (Hauloeth) Demeules. Educated in common schools; learned wire and iron works trade and engaged in same until 1905; started in business 1905 as Demeules Bros and has continued same to date.


Portius C. Deming
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DEMING Portius C, Minneapolis. Res 2300 Central av, office 2407 Central av. Real estate. Born Dec 12, 1854 at Milton, Chittenden county Vt, son of Gustavus A and Harriet M (Gale) Deming. Married Oct 9, 1879 to Mary D Crown (now deceased). Educated in the district schools and at Essex Classical Institute Vt. Apprenticed to St Alban’s Messenger when 13, 1868; changed to farm work summers attending school winters working for board; bookkeeper and salesman for milling firm of Clark, Boardman & Co of Milton Vt 1872-79; member Brown & Deming grocers Atlantic Ia 1880; in law office Vermont 1881-82; clk for St P M & O R R 1882-87; real estate, loans and insurance in Minneapolis 1888 to date, making specialty of East Side property; laid out several additions. Representative in the state legislature 1899-1903; made special efforts in legislature in behalf of State University and establishment of Itasca State Park. Member Minneapolis Park Board 1894-99. Life member Minneapolis Historical Society; member Minneapolis Real Estate Board; St Anthony Commercial Club.


Henry Deutsch
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DEUTSCH Henry, Minneapolis. Res 2705 Fremont av S, office 315 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Aug 28, 1874; son of Jacob and Malchen Amelia (Valfer) Deutsch. Attended public and high schools in Minneapolis. Graduated from U of M law dept LL B 1891; Yale law dept LL M 1895. Has been engaged in practice since and is member of the firm of Nye & Deutsch. Was a delegate to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists St Louis 1904. Member and v pres of Commercial Club; Commercial Law League and National Fraternal Congress.


W. P. Devereaux
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DEVEREUX W P, Minneapolis. Res 2215 Bryant av, office Chamber of Commerce. Grain. Born March 16, 1858 Oneida N Y, son of Patrick J and Sarah L (McQuade) Devereux. Graduated high school Oneida N Y 1876. Member of the firm of Markham & Devereux and W P Devereux & Co grocers Oneida N Y 1880-90; Kenney & Devereux and W P Devereux & Co St Paul 1890-95. Pres W P Devereux Co and Devereux Elevator Co. Member Minneapolis, Commercial, Minnetonka Yacht and Gun, and Automobile clubs.


Courtland Nay Dickey
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Courtland N. Dickey, clerk of the district court of the Fourth Judicial District, for Hennepin County, was born January 1, 1855, in Jefferson County, Indiana. His father and grandfather, who lived for many years in the Hoosier state, trace their ancestry back to an ancient family in the north of Ireland, a branch of which established itself in this country almost a hundred years ago. These first Dickeys settled in New Jersey, and after some years went to North Carolina. Mr. Dickey's paternal grandfather married, in 1808, Miss Elizabeth Stark, a near relative of the hero of the battle of Bennington, and located with his wife in what was afterwards Scott County, Indiana, but then a wild frontier country. The elder Dickey assisted in the organization of Scott County, and here his son, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born. This son became a lawyer, but before he was twenty-four years of age was elected county auditor. Locating in Jefferson County, he served as postmaster for nine years, and then became successively deputy auditor and recorder. He was serving his second term in the latter office at the time of his death in 1874. Mr. Dickey was the fourth of a family of five children. The first ten years of his life were passed on his father's farm. When the family moved to the town of Madison, in Jefferson County, he began to go to school, and to cultivate what he was not long in finding out was a decided taste for music. This musical talent helped him to earn his first dollar. In 1878, at the age of twenty-two, he went to California on account of ill health, remaining in that state until 1883, when he came to Minneapolis, which city has since been his home. Mr. Dickey's first employment after coming to Minneapolis was as a copyist in the office of the clerk of the district court, a position which he secured in competitive examination with eighty-four other applicants. During the terms of E. J. Davenport and Captain Terrell he was deputy clerk, and in 1882 he was elected clerk. In 1896 he was re-elected. In the year 1901, when his second term will end, Mr. Dickey will have been in the clerk's office of Hennepin County, in one capacity or other for eighteen years. He is one of the most efficient men who ever filled the office of clerk of the district court in the state. All of his political honors have been received at the hands of the Republican party, and to this party he has always belonged. The earlier members of the family were Whigs or Republicans without an exception. He is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the B. P. O. E., and of the Improved Order of Red Men. His family is identified with the Universalist church, but he belongs to no religious organization.

Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DICKEY Courtland Nay, Minneapolis. Res 2400 Park av, office 509-511 2d av S. Printing and blank books. Born Jan 1, 1855 in Jefferson county Ind, son of Joel and Mary R (Meek) Dickey. Educated in a graded school at Madison Ind. Sec and treas Crawford-Dickey Co job printers and blank book mnfrs Minneapolis 1905 to date. Clerk of district court 4th judicial district Hennepin county 1893-1905. Member Masonic order, K of P and B P O E.


Charles E. Dickinson
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DICKINSON Charles E, Minneapolis. Res 2720 Fremont av S, office 620 4th st S. Printer. Born Feb 16, 1850 in Philadelphia Pa, son of John A and Harriet (Frease) Dickinson. Married Oct 18, 1906 to Ida D Steiner. Educated in common schools and by private instruction. Engaged in dry goods business 1868-81; moved to Minneapolis 1882 and engaged with Johnson, Smith & Harrison printers; became member of Harrison & Smith Co successors and has been sec and treas to date. Member Masonic fraternity and I O O F.


Horace D. Dickinson
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DICKINSON Horace D, Minneapolis. Res 22 W Grant st, office Court House. Born July 25, 1866 in Ogdensburg St Lawrence county N Y. Moved to Minn with parents when an infant and located on farm near Hastings; moved to Minneapolis 1876. Educated in public schools Minneapolis and graduated from U of M law dept 1890. Engaged in practice of law Minneapolis 1890-96; asst city atty Minneapolis 4 years; elected judge of municipal court 1900, resigning to accept a seat on the bench of the 4th judicial dist.


George L. Dingman
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DINGMAN George L, Minneapolis. Res 2315 Lincoln st, office 623 Hennepin av. Merchant. Born Oct 10, 1853 at Marilla N Y, son of Harry and Orilla (McDonald) Dingman. Educated in the public schools and at Aurora Academy, East Aurora N Y. Taught school in Mower county Minn 1876-80; farmed 1880-84; in grocery trade Minneapolis 1883-92; trav salesman for Kelly Mercantile Co St Paul 1893; member state legislature 1895; in grocery trade 1895-1901; asst dairy and food comnr 1901-1905; in mercantile business 1905 to date.


Fred Budreau Dodge
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DODGE Fred Budreau, Minnetonka Beach. Office 916 N Y Life bldg Minneapolis. Lawyer. Born Feb 4, 1854 in Livingston county N Y, son of James L and Mary (Budreau) Dodge. Married June 3, 1885 to Etta E Purington. Educated in Temple Hill Academy, Geneseo N Y; Fairfield Academy, Herkimer county N Y and graduated from Univ of Rochester N Y 1874. Studied law in office of Adams & Strong Geneseo N Y and A M Bingham Mt Morris N Y. Admitted to the bar in Rochester N Y 1878. Practiced in Hastings Minn 1879-81. Removed to Minneapolis and engaged in practice alone 1881-1900; as member of firm of Dodge & Weber 1900 to date. Member of American, Minnesota State and Hennepin County Bar assns. Member Lafayette Club.


Willis Edward Dodge
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Willis Edward Dodge is of English descent, his ancestors having come over to this country from England in 1670. Three brothers came together, and their descendants took an active part in the Revolution, in which they were known as "the Manchester men." Andrew Jackson Dodge, grandfather of Willis Edward, settled in Montpelier, Vermont, in 1812. The subject of this sketch was born at Lowell, Vermont, May 11, 1857, the son of William Baxter Dodge and Harriett Baldwin (Dodge). William B. Dodge was a farmer in ordinary circumstances. Willis Edward began his education in the public schools of Vermont, and continued it in St. Johnsbury Academy, where he took the classical course preparatory for Dartmouth College. He did not, however, take a college course, but began the study of law with Hon. W. W. Grout, a member of congress from the Second Vermont district, and also read law with Hon. F. W. Baldwin, of Barton, Vermont, in 1879 and 1880. He was admitted to the Orleans County, Vermont Bar, in September 1880. In October of that year he came West in search of better opportunities for a young man of his ambitions and capacity, and settled at Fargo, North Dakota. Subsequently he removed to Jamestown, North Dakota, where he was appointed attorney for the Northern Pacific Railroad, and held that office until July 1887. He was then appointed attorney for the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba Railway Company for Dakota, and returned to Fargo, where he lived until August 1892. At that time he removed to Minneapolis, where he continued to act as attorney for the Great Northern Railway Company, formerly the St. Paul, Minneapolis & .Manitoba Railway Company. He is also at the present time attorney for the Minneapolis Trust Company, and other corporations. He has made a specialty of corporation law, and has obtained distinction in that department of legal practice. Mr. Dodge has always been a Republican, and while a resident of Dakota was made a member of the state senate in 1886 and 1887. During his residence in Jamestown he served that city as its corporation counsel for eight years. He is a member of the Knights of the Red Cross and the Minneapolis Club. He claims no church membership.

On March 27, 1882, he married Hattie M. Crist of Vinton, Iowa. They have two children, Dora Mae, age twelve, and William E., age ten.

Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DODGE Willis Edward, Minneapolis. Res 1717 Stevens av, office 400 Kasota bldg. Lawyer. Born May 11, 1857 in Lowell Vt, son of William Baxter and Harriet (Baldwin) Dodge. Married Mar 27, 1882 to Hattie M Crist of Vinton Ia. Educated in the public schools of Vermont and St Johnsbury (Vt) Academy. Studied law Barton Vt 1879-80. Admitted to bar 1880. Moved to Fargo N D 1880, thence to Jamestown N D as atty for Northern Pacific Ry until 1887; same for St P M & M Ry 1887-92. Moved to Minneapolis as atty for G N Ry; atty for Minneapolis Trust Co; gen atty for Great Northern Ry at St Paul 1900-1904. Member N Dak State Senate 1886-87; corp counsel Jamestown N D 8 years. Member Minneapolis club.


Augustus S. Dowdall
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DOWDALL Augustus S, Minneapolis. Res 632 Elwood av, office 654 Temple Court. Lawyer. Born Nov 23, 1858 in Merrickville Ont, son of Patrick S and Margaret (Oliver) Dowdall. Married April 1882 to Elizabeth C Atkinson. Educated in public schools Merrickville Ont and by private tuition. First engaged with Grand Trunk Ry System; moved to St Paul 1880 as private sec to Geo K Barnes G P A, N P Ry; gen agt St Paul & Manitoba Ry at Moorhead 1880-83; moved to Minneapolis and engaged with M St P & S S Ry; engaged in mercantile business 1884-1900. Entered law dept U of M 1900; graduated 1904 and has since been engaged in practice of law. Member Knights of Pythias.


William Morrill Dowlin
Source: History of Anoka County and the Towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, Minnesota, by Albert M. Goodrich 1905; transcribed by Sarah Montgomery

William Morrill Dowlin was born at Bradford, New Hampshire, April 24, 1838.  He received his education in the schools at Bradford, the high school at Lowell, Mass., and Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.  He came to Minnesota in the spring of 1866, arriving at Champlin in April, where he has been employed as bookkeeper and time keeper.  He has been supervisor and was constable from 1874 to 1877.  Mr. Dowlin was married July 2, 1870, to Louisa C. Kimball.  Children: Winnie E.; Susan (Mrs. Arthur J. Miller); Albert U.; Charles M. and Floyd E.


Arthur Z. Downs
Source: History of Anoka County and the Towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, Minnesota, by Albert M. Goodrich 1905; transcribed by Sarah Montgomery

Arthur Z. Downs was born at Champlin, Nov. 30, 1858.  Received his education in the schools of Champlin and Dayton.  About 1871 his father purchased a farm in section 16, town of Dayton, where he resided until 1900, since which time he has been a resident of Minneapolis.  Mr. Downs has been twice married.  His first wife was Cora Fullerton, to whom he was married Nov. 14, 1883, and who died Oct. 2, 1887, leaving one son, Joseph.  His second wife was Helen R. Laflin, to whom he was married in 1891.   They have two children: Clifford R. and Anna E.


Harry T. Downs
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DOWNS Harry T, Minneapolis. Res 4216 Upton av S, office 811 N Y Life bldg. Architect. Born March 16, 1868 in St Peter Minn, son of Thomas and Margaret A (Elliott). Married 1892 to Josephine M Cole. Educated in the common schools St Peter; high school Minneapolis; employed with Long & Kees architects 1889-94; then practiced alone 1894-1903 when he established firm of Downs & Eads which has continued to date. Member Masonic fraternity.


Joseph Downs
Source: History of Anoka County and the Towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, Minnesota, by Albert M. Goodrich 1905; transcribed by Sarah Montgomery

Joseph Downs (deceased) was born at Orland, Maine, Jan. 15, 1823.  He lived in Maine until 1853, removing in that year to Evans Center, New York, and came to Minnesota m 1854.  He located upon a farm in the town of Dayton near Diamond lake, where he lived two winters.  In the spring of 1857 he opened a hotel at Champlin, which he conducted for two years, and then lived on farms in Champlin and Dayton until the beginning of the Rebellion.  In 1862 he enlisted in Co. A, Eighth Minnesota Regiment, and remained with that regiment until the close of the war.  After the war he returned to farming in the town of Dayton, and died there about 1878.  He was married at Albion, Maine, to Anne Wiggins.  Children: Octavia J. (Mrs. Stockton, died in June, 1885); Walter J. (Minneapolis); Nancy J. (Mrs. N. Colburn, Champlin); Arthur Z. (Minneapolis), and Ellen M. (Mrs. Walter Green, now living in Maine).


John William Dreger
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DREGER John William, Minneapolis. Res 1123 N 6th st, office Court House. Public official. Born Mar 23, 1864 Bergholz, Niagara county N Y, son of John William and Louisa (Reeck) Dreger. Married may 4, 1887 to Ottilie E Eichhorn. Attended German Lutheran parochial school and common school in St Johnsburg N Y; Martin Luther College Buffalo N Y 1860-63. In lumber business at Emmettsburg Ia and St James Minn. Pres State Board Arbitration and Conciliation 1901; sheriff Hennepin county 1902 to date. Appointed by the governor as member of the National Prison Assn for the last 5 years; pres of Minnesota and Interstate Sheriff’s Assn. Member St Paul-Minneapolis German Society; German Gymnastic Assn of Minn; Liederkranz Singing Society.


Charles M. Drew
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DREW Charles M, Minneapolis. Res 1406 7th av N, office 511 New York Life bldg. Lawyer. Born April 26, 1868 in St Johnsbury Vt, son of Holman R and Eliza A (Hicks) Drew. Graduated from Minneapolis High School 1887; Wesleyan Univ Ph D 1892; U of M, LL B 1894. Has practiced law in Minneapolis 1894 to date. Member Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Nu Theta and Phi Delta Phi college fraternities; Commercial, Lafayette and Roosevelt clubs; Eclectic Fraternity of Wesleyan Univ; Masonic order.


Charles Wayland Drew
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Among the many from the Green Mountain state who have contributed to the development of Minnesota is Charles W. Drew, of Minneapolis. Dr. Drew was born at Burlington, Vermont, on January 1 8, 1858. His father, Homer C. Drew, was a contractor and builder in moderate circumstances. Both parents were from old New England stock and had lived in the state of Vermont for several generations. Dr. Drew was educated in the public schools of Burlington and in the University of Vermont, which he entered at the age of fifteen. The natural bent of his mind was toward the sciences, especially chemistry, and during the four years at the University a large share of his time was devoted to this and kindred studies. He graduated in 1877 and received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy and an election to the honorary Phi Beta Kappa Society. Following his graduation about eighteen months were spent in work and study in various laboratories in New York and Brooklyn, and afterward he became a student in the Medical Department of the University of Vermont. He graduated in 1880 and received the highest honors in a class of about sixty, taking the degree of Doctor of Medicine, the first prize for general proficiency, and also the prize for the most meritorious thesis. The year following graduation was spent in Brattleboro, Vermont, in association with one of the best known physicians in the state, and at the end of which time Dr. Drew came to Minnesota and soon established himself in medical practice in Minneapolis. In the following year he was appointed as Professor of Chemistry in the Minnesota Hospital College, and continued in that position for seven years, when the school was merged with others to form the Medical Department of the State University. In 1883 Dr. Drew was appointed City Physician. In 1886 he made an exhaustive investigation of "Food Adulterations in Minnesota," and published a monograph upon the subject, and in the same year he was appointed State Chemist to the Dairy and Food Department. This position he held for six years, during that time doing a large amount of work among the lines of chemistry of foods and sanitary chemistry in general. He established, in 1886, a private school of pharmacy under the name of the Minnesota Institute of Pharmacy, which school is still in existence and has been attended by more than seven hundred students. At the present time, of all the legally qualified pharmacists in the state, twenty-five per cent have been its students. Dr. Drew was appointed in 1895 as chemist to the City of Minneapolis, a position which he still holds. His medical practice was discontinued in 1889, his time since then being fully occupied in his various lines of chemical investigation and in teaching. His work in chemistry covers a wide field, and owing to his high professional standing and wide reputation as a chemist he is frequently called to different parts of the Northwest as an expert in this branch of science and in Chemico-legal and Toxicological lines. In politics Dr. Drew has always been a Republican, but though he has taken an active part in the affairs of his party, all positions which he has held have been of a professional character. He has been a number of various professional societies, including the Minnesota Medical Society, the Hennepin County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the American Chemical Society and others. He was made a Mason in Washington Lodge, No. 3, Burlington, Vermont, in 1870, afterward affiliated with Khurum Lodge, Minneapolis, which he left to become a charter member of Minneapolis Lodge, of which he is Past Master. He is at present a member of Ark Lodge, No. 176. He is also a member of St. John's Chapter, R. A. M., of Zion Commandery, Knights Templar, and of Zuhrnh Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He attends the Episcopal Church, but is not a member. He was married on September 18, 1884, in Brattleboro, Vermont, to Annah Reed Kellogg, daughter of Henry Kellogg, of Boston, Massachusetts. They have two children, Julia Kellogg, born in August l890, and Charles Wayland, jr., born in June 1896.

Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DREW Charles Wayland, Minneapolis. Res 2012 Bryant av S, office 416 Century bldg. Analytical chemist. Born Jan 18, 1858 in Burlington Vt, son of Homer C and Lorinda (Roby) Drew. Married Sept 18, 1884 to Anna Reed Kellogg. Educated in public schools. Burlington and Univ of Vt, graduating Ph B 1877; took special course of study in laboratory work for 18 months and returned to Univ of Vt taking medical degree 1880. Practiced 1 year in Brattleboro Vt and then moved to Minn. Appointed prof of chemistry Minn Hospital College; remained 7 years; appointed city physician Minneapolis 1883; state chemist to dairy and food dept 1886-92; established Minn Inst of Pharmacy 1886; appointed chemist to city of Minneapolis 1895. Member American Medical Assn; Minnesota State and Hennepin County Medical societies; American Chemical Society; Masonic fraternity and Shrine.


George William Dulany Jr.
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DULANY George William Jr, Minneapolis. Res 1801 Mount Curve av, office 511 Lumber Exchange. Lumberman. Born July 11, 1877 in Fort Scott Kan, son of G W and Fannie (Williams) Dulany. Married Aug 27, 1901 to Katherine M McDonnell. Attended public schools Hannibal Mo; Missouri Military Academy Mexico Mo; Phillips Academy Andover Mass; Yale Univ, graduating Ph B 1898. Connected with lumber trade from boyhood; v pres and treas Eclipse Lumber Co retail Minneapolis 1902 to date; v pres and treas Merry Lumber Co whol lumber and shingles 1902 to date; 2d v pres Leech Lake & Nor Ry Co. Served in Spanish-American War in U S navy; now 2d lieut Battery B 1st Artillery M N G. Member Chi Phi college fraternity; Sons of American Revolution; Masonic order and Shrine; Commercial, Minikahda, Lafayette and Roosevelt clubs Minneapolis.


James Henry Dunn
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Dr. Dunn is a physician and surgeon in Minneapolis, the son of James and Mary O'Hair Dunn, of Dublin, Ireland. James Dunn was a merchant who failed in 1845 and emigrated to America. He served in the Mexican war and located in Indiana. Subsequently he removed to Minnesota, and in 1854 took a farm in Winona County on a soldiers' warrant. The subject of this sketch was born at Fort Wayne, Indiana. May 29, 1853. He lived on his father's farm till he was fifteen, and received his early education in the common and higher schools of Winona County. He entered the state normal school at Winona where he graduated in 1872. He took private instruction in the modern languages, studied in medicine at Rush Medical College and was graduated from the medical department of the University of New York City, March, 1878. He was instructor in the second state normal school in 1878 and 1879, and engaged in general medical practice till 1883. He then went abroad to pursue his studies, and in 1884 and 1855 took post-graduate studies, in the German universities of Heidelberg and Vienna, giving his especial study to such medical branches as at that time were, in default of laboratories here, more successfully taught in Europe than in America. A short observation of French practice was made during a summer of Paris. He also took a short tour of Italian hospitals. On his return to America he located in Minneapolis, where he has since practiced his profession. He was elected city physician in 1887 and 1888, and organized the first city hospital. He has been surgeon in charge of St. Mary's Hospital since its foundation i 1887, and surgeon to Asbury Hospital since 1884. He is consulting surgeon of the Great Northern Railway Company, professor of genito-urinary and adjunct professor of clinical surgery in the University of Minnesota. His practice, though at first general, has become especially surgical, genito-urinary and consulting, Dr. Dunn having become one of the most prominent consulting practitioners in the Northwest. His ambition is to excel in the great art of clinical diagnosis and surgical technique, rather than to pursue special and original researches, though many experimental studies to confirm or refute new medical and surgical theories have been pursued. For example, some disputed in Minnesota, a study of one hundred and fifty four cases published in 1888, experimental work in abdominal surgery and an original application of a supracubic cystotomy for cancers of the urethra (Annals of Surgery, 1894.) A new method of tenotomy is now in preparation. Dr. Dunn is a teacher, a student, investigator and practitioner of that which has been discovered and believed, rather than one absorbed in the new to the exclusion of the old. He has had a wide experience and large success with all established procedures of general surgery, and is conservative in adopting the new and little-tried measures until their value and usefulness have been proven. He is a member of the Minneapolis Club, the State Historical Society, the Minnesota State Medical Association, and an ex-president of the latter, the Minnesota Academy of Medicine, the American Medical Association, the Association of American Obstetricians and gynecologists, and is a frequent contributor to various medical and surgical journals. Dr. Dunn has one of the largest private libraries in the Northwest, especially complete in new and old literature of American, English, French and German surgical authorities. He was married in 1885 to Agnes, daughter of Hon. J. L. Macdonald, formerly judge of the Third Judicial District, now practicing attorney of St. Paul. They have one child, James L., aged eight years.


Warner B. Dunnell
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DUNNELL Warner B, Minneapolis. Res 2408 Aldrich av S, office Security Bank bldg. Architect. Born Aug 23, 1851 in Norway Me, son of Mark H and Sarah A Dunnell. Married March 14, 1892 to I A Ogden. Educated in Mass Institute of Technology Boston and School of Fine Arts Paris France. Supt of construction of govt buildings for some years prior to 1880, when he engaged in practice of his profession in Minneapolis. Among his notable buildings are the State Soldiers’ Home, state public schools, Hospital for Insane at Fergus Falls and the Reform School at Red Wing, besides many private buildings.


Dr. Frederick A. Dunsmoor
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Dr. Frederick A. Dunsmoor is an eminent physician, surgeon and gynecologist practicing his profession at Minneapolis. Dr. Dunsmoor is a native of Minnesota, and was born May 28, 1853, at Richfield, in Hennepin County, the son of James A. and Almira Mosher Dunsmoor. His parents were natives of Maine, and came to Hennepin County, Minnesota, in 1852.
Frederick Alanson received his education in the public schools of Richfield, Minneapolis and at the University of Minnesota. His professional training began in the office of Doctors Goodrich and Kimball, of Minneapolis, and was continued in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, where he received the degree of M. D. in March 1875. He also received private instruction from Doctors Frank H. Hamilton, Alfred G. Loomis, Austin Flint, Sr., E. G. Janeway and R. Ogden Doremus. He began his practice at Minneapolis in partnership with Dr. H. H. Kimball, and was associated with him one year. Dr. Dunsmoor has been active in hospital work, having assisted in the establishment of the Minnesota College Hospital in 1881, and serving as vice president and dean of the medical college, professor of surgery and attending surgeon to the hospital and dispensary for eight years. In 1889 the Hospital College, in conjunction with other schools of medicine in St. Paul and Minneapolis, was reorganized in the medical department of the University of Minnesota. Dr. Dunsmoor served as professor of surgery in the St. Paul medical college in 1877 and till 1879, in the medical department of Hamline University 1879 to 1881, Minneapolis Hospital College from 1881 to 1888, and in the medical department of the University since its organization. He was county physician for Hennepin County during 1879. He was also active in organizing Asbury Methodist Hospital, which was opened September 1, 1892, and which became the chief clinical field for the medical department of the University and of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Minneapolis. Dr. Dunsmoor has also been in active service as surgeon to St. Mary's Hospital since 1890, to St. Barnabas Hospital since 1879, gynecologist to the City Hospital since 1894, to the Asbury Hospital since 1892, to the State Free Dispensary since 1889, and to the Asbury Free Dispensary since 1889. He has devoted his attention to surgery and gynecology, operating every morning, and enjoys a wide reputation as a skillful and successful operator. For many years his services have been in demand by the railway, milling, accident and insurance companies. Dr. Dunsmoor is a member of a number of professional and scientific societies, among them the International Medical Congress, the North Dakota State Medical Society, The American Medical Association, the National Association of Railway Surgeons, the Minnesota Academy of Medicine, the Minnesota State Medical Association, the Hennepin County Medical Society and the Society of Physicians and Surgeons of Minneapolis.

His membership in social and beneficiary societies includes the Nu Sigma Nu Society, the Masonic order, the Good Templars, the Druids, the Minneapolis Club and the Commercial and Athletic Club. Of the latter two he was a charter member. He is also an active member of the Hennepin Avenue Methodist church, where he has served for years in an official capacity. He is a diligent student of the science of medicine and surgery, and spends a portion of each winter in medical study in some of the great scientific centers, and enjoys the acquaintance of and professional association with the most famous surgeons in the county. He is a contributor to different medical and surgical journals, and is recognized as an authority in his particular branch of the practice. He is a man of genial manners and happy temperament, and an enthusiastic patron of music and the fine arts. Dr. Dunsmoor was married September 5, 1876, to Miss Elizabeth Emma Billings, daughter of the late Surgeon George E. Turner, U. S. A. They have three children living, Marjorie Alport, Elizabeth Turner and Frederick Laton.


William Hood Dunwoody
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

William Hood Dunwoody, who has long been identified with the flour milling interests of Minneapolis, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in Chester County, on March 14, 1841. His father was James Dunwoody, whose father, grandfather and great grandfather lived in the same vicinity in Chester County and were all engaged in agricultural pursuits. The family is of Scotch ancestry. Mr. Dunwoody's mother was Hannah Hood, the daughter of William Hood, of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, whose ancestors came to this country when William Penn founded the colony which took his name. Mr. Dunwoody's early life was passed upon the farm where he was born. After a period of schooling in Philadelphia, he, at the age of eighteen, entered his uncle's store in Philadelphia, and commenced what proved to be the business of his life. His uncle was a grain and flour merchant. After a few years Mr. Dunwoody commenced business for himself as a senior member of the firm of Dunwoody & Robertson. After ten years of practical experience in Philadelphia flour markets, Mr. Dunwoody came to Minneapolis in 1869, and, for a time, represented several eastern houses as flour buyer. Milling at Minneapolis was then in a state of transition. It was the time when the old fashioned mill stones were giving place to the modern steel rollers and the middlings purifier. With keen perception Mr. Dunwoody saw that a great advance in the milling business was at hand, and in 1871 he embarked in milling as a member of the firm of Tiffany, Dunwoody & Co. He was also a member of the firm of H. Darrow & Co., and the business of both concerns was under his personal management. Early in his career as a Minneapolis miller Mr. Dunwoody distinguished himself among his associates by devising and organizing the Minneapolis Millers Association, which was for a long time a most important organization, its object being co-operation in the purchase of wheat throughout the northwest country. It had an important part in the building up of the Minneapolis milling business. Its work was discontinued when the general establishment of elevators and the development of the Minneapolis wheat market made it no longer necessary for the millers to work in co-operation in buying their wheat. Another important work which Mr. Dunwoody early attempted was that of arranging for the direct exportation of flour. It had been the custom to sell through brokers and middle-men of the Atlantic sea ports. In 1877 Mr. Dunwoody went to England and, though he met with a most determined opposition, succeeded in arranging for the direct export of flour from Minneapolis, a custom which has since continued without interruption. Shortly after the great mill explosion of 1878 Governor C. C. Washburn induced Mr. Dunwoody to join him in a milling partnership with the late John Crosby, and Charles J. Martin. The firm thus formed, Washburn, Crosby & Co., continued for many years and was succeeded by the Washburn, Crosby Co., a few years since. Since Mr. Dunwoody's connection with the Washburn mills in 1879 he has been uninterruptedly identified with the conduct of this famous group of mills. It was natural that Mr. Dunwoody, as a prominent miller, should take a large interest in the management of elevators. He has invested largely in elevator properties, and was one of the organizers of the St. Anthony & Dakota Elevator Company, the St. Anthony Elevator Company, and the Duluth Elevator Company. In addition to these interests, Mr. Dunwoody holds other important interests, and is connected with a number of the strongest financial institutions of Minneapolis. He is a director of the Northwestern National Bank and also of the Minneapolis Trust Company. Before coming to Minneapolis, Mr. Dunwoody married Miss Kate L. Patten, the daughter of John W. Patten, a prominent merchant of Philadelphia. Their home is a handsome dwelling on Tenth Street at the corner of Mary Place. Mr. Dunwoody's refined tastes have been gratified in late years by extensive travel.

Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DUNWOODY William Hood, Minneapolis. Res 52 S 10th st. Flour miller. Born March 14, 1841 in Chester county Pa, son of James and Hannah (Hood) Dunwoody. Raised on farm. Began his business career with uncle in grain and flour business; engaged in same for self under firm name of Dunwoody & Robertson 1860-69; engaged in flour business representing eastern houses in Minneapolis 1869; member Tiffany, Dunwoody & Co and H Darrow & Co 1871; organized Minneapolis Millers’ Assn; an organizer of and now v pres of the Washburn-Crosby Co; pres N W National Bank; member Minneapolis and New York Chambers of Commerce. Member Minneapolis Club; Metropolitan Club N Y; Minnesota Club St Paul.


George M. Durkee
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DURKEE George M, Minneapolis. Res 2506 Blaisdell av, office 401 3d st N. Plows. Born Oct 1, 1871 in Cherokee Ia, son of Charles A and Mary A (Ryan) Durkee. Married 1895 to Jessie T Colby. Received common school education. Engaged in lumber business Rapid City S D until 1893; with McCormick Harvester Mach Co Omaha 1893-98; with Moline Plow Co Sioux City 1898-1902; mngr Minn Moline Plow Co Minneapolis 1902 to date. Member Masonic fraternity.


William Dwinnell
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

DWINNELL William Stanley, Minneapolis. Res 410 Groveland av, office N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Dec 25, 1862 at Lodi Wis, son of John Bliss and Maria (Stanley) Dwinnell. Educated in the public schools at Lodi Wis and at the Univ of Wis. Asst reporter supreme court of Wisconsin 1886-88; district atty Jackson county Wis 1888-89; member Wisconsin Legislature 1899-1900. Treas Urban Investment Co St Paul; pres Fraser River Tannery Co Ltd New Westminster British Columbia; pres Edmonton Lbr Co Edmonton Alberta. Member Minneapolis, Minikahda and Commercial clubs Minneapolis; American Bar Assn.

Hennepin County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails