Hennepin County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Biographies "K"


Josiah F. Keene
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 215, submitted by Robin Line]
Keene, Josiah F. Minneapolis. Res 48 Royalston av, office 224 Kasota blk. Lawyer. Born Sept 3, 1843 in Small Point Harbor Me, son of Josiah and Evelyn M (Smith) Keene. Educated in Nichols Latin School; graduated from Bates College Lewiston Me A B 1874. After 1 year in practice of law Lynn Mass moved to Minneapolis and admitted to bar 1880; continuously engaged in practice there to date. Served in Civil War 1861-66 from private to lieut.


Anthony Kelly
[Source: Encyclopedia of Biography of Minnesota, History of Minnesota by Judge Charles E. Flandreau, 1900, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

Anthony Kelly, late merchant and representative citizen of Minneapolis was a native of Ireland, born at Swinford, County Mayo, August 25, 1832. His early boyhood was spent in his native island, but when he was fifteen years of age he came with his parents to America, and settled near Montreal, Canada. Very early in life he manifested an ardent taste for a life of active usefulness. After acquiring a good common school education and the rudiments of a business training he, while still quite young, came to the United States and finally located at Macon, Georgia, where he opened a retail grocery store, which he conducted for several years. Having sold his store in Macon, Mr. Kelly came to Minnesota on a visit to his brothers, then living in Minneapolis. Upon his arrival he was so thoroughly impressed with the location, the growing importance of the young town and the opportunities it offered for a business career that he soon decided to locate there permanently. He opened a retail grocery store, associated himself in partnership with his brother, P. H. Kelly, and began the business career in Minneapolis in which he became so prominent. The Kelly brothers were popular and successful from the first. They were energetic and used sound sense in the conduct of their business, and prospered constantly. In a comparatively brief time they had outgrown their original limited quarters, erected a more commodious building and had largely increased the scope and extent of their operations. In 1863, P. H. Kelly withdrew from the firm and went to St. Paul. Mr. Anthony Kelly continued the business in Minneapolis on his own account for three years, when he formed a partnership with H. W. Wagner, the firm name becoming Anthony Kelly & Company. It soon became the largest grocery house in the city. As time passed and business increased Mr. Kelly saw the necessity and importance of extending the character and field of his operations, and after opening up in the new building he abandoned the retail grocery business and engaged in the wholesale trade. Anthony Kelly was the pioneer wholesale grocer of Minneapolis. The venture was so successful and the business expanded so rapidly that in a comparatively short time the firm was compelled to find larger quarters, and it built and removed to the large brick and stone structure which was the site of its operations thereafter, and which was always recognized as one of the leading-business institutions of the city. The business of the firm of Anthony Kelly & Company developed into large proportions and gradually increased until it extended over all the vast territory paying business tribute to Minneapolis. Mr. Kelly was always recognized as the leading and controlling spirit of the house, and it was his master hand which guided and directed its work. So much for Anthony Kelly's career as a business man. But during all of the long period referred to, he contrived to find time in the midst of his engrossing business activities to take an active part in the local affairs of his city. Energetic, broadminded, public-spirited, liberal in his views, and of a high order of intelligence, his aid was sought and his hand was in every movement to build up the interests and institutions of the city. There was never a fight for the welfare of the city of Minneapolis in which he did not engage, never a worthy enterprise which he did not promote. He was always earnestly, but unostentatiously, as becomes a rightminded man, interested in every philanthropic enterprise and prominently identified with every movement of the kind in the city. No other man ever gave more liberally of his time, energies and money to further worthy charitable objects. Wherever and whenever human suffering and misery could be ameliorated by anything he could do, he was ready with voice and hand and purse, and did what he could. He gave freely and liberally, but never purposely "to be seen of men," and very many of his benefactions and charities were never known to the world, and he did not wish that they should be. Anthony Kelly was not one to vaunt or parade himself. He disliked notoriety, sought no cheap distinctions, and hated all insincerity, sham, and pretense. He never posed as a "reformer," although no other man in the city ever did more for real reforms and the improvement of society and humanity. People who knew him knew just where to find him, and that what he said he meant. He had hosts of admiring friends, especially among the old settlers and his longtime associates, and there was many a deep and heartfelt pang of sorrow when, on that fine June morning in 1899, the message was flashed over the wires throughout the country, "Anthony Kelly is dead." In business affairs generally Mr. Kelly had become very prominent, a factor in the development of the material interests of Minneapolis. At the time of his death he was vice-president of the Northwestern National Bank, and, up to the time of the reorganization of the Minneapolis General Electric Company, had been its president and directing mind. He was also a stockholder in several other important business organizations. He was a trustee of the Hill Seminary, and, for about seven years, was one of the directors and vice president of the board of managers of the State Institute for Defectives at Faribault. In politics he was a staunch Democrat, but never an office seeker or a political office holder. He was a humble, but earnest and consistent believer in the Catholic faith, but tolerant and charitable toward all Christian religions. Mr. Kelly was the intimate friend and confidant, as well as the associate, of the best men who have shaped the destinies of Minneapolis. He had rare social tastes and qualities, and his great fund of information, the spice of his ready wit, his fluent and animated style of conversation, and his charming amiability, made him a most delightful entertainer and companion. In the sacred precincts of his home, however, he was at his best. Here his life was an ideal one. He loved his family with all the fervor of his affectionate nature, and with them he found his highest pleasures. He was a profound student and very fond of literary pursuits. He read and spoke German fluently, and had a good knowledge of French and Spanish, and had spoken these languages in their native countries. Fond of travel and investigation he gratified these tastes to a great extent. He was familiar with almost every part of the United States, had repeatedly visited the land of his birth and made several excursions through the continent of Europe. With the capacity to appreciate and remember what he saw, these investigations added to his great stock of valuable knowledge. Anthony Kelly died in his adopted city, which he had so much helped to build. May 31, 1899. His death created a feeling of sorrow genuine and widespread, he was sixty-seven years of age, and in active and successful business life up to the time of his death, but somehow it seemed that his calling away was untimely. There seemed to be much more that he could do for his city, his State and his fellow men. The event was of public importance; the press, the pulpit, the business associations, etc., all expressed the general sorrow, and commented upon the character of the deceased in the warmest terms. Said the St. Paul Globe of July 7th:

"Anthony Kelly was one of the finest types of American citizens, and one of the gentlest, and, in thought and deed, one of the most upright men that ever graced a Christian community. He was indeed an ideal man. Religious in the truest sense in which the spirit of God is made to descend into the hearts of men through the influence of faith in the Christian teaching, he was at the same time a thoughtful, patriotic citizen, ever devoted to the welfare of city, State and Nation, and anxious in every way within his reach to promote the happiness and temporal welfare of his fellow man.

No man ever heard from the lips of Anthony Kelly an unkind or uncharitable expression concerning another. His word was indeed his bond; and in small matters as well as in large, he was the very spirit of manliness and personal probity.

That such a man should have it within him to secure a high measure of business success is proof that the highest commercial ability may be united with those qualities which preserve men in the faith and innocence and purity of their younger days."

Ex-Governor John S. Pillsbury, who had long and intimately known Mr. Kelly, wrote:

"I have known him as few men knew him. We began our struggle in Minneapolis about the same time. I can easily recall the vigorous, intelligent, ambitious, determined young man, of fifty years ago. There are none who have known him in a social way or in business, who can truthfully say that they ever saw him do an unmanly or dishonest act. He died, presumably, a wealthy man, but what he got in the way of worldly goods, he got honestly. He was not pulling others down while he was building himself up. He was always a great respecter of honest toil; he had no patience with the idler or the drone. He believed God placed man here for a useful career. He was thoroughly honest and did not know how to act in anything but an honest manner. He grew to be a better man every day he lived, and you could see it as the years passed by. I always found him a high-toned gentleman, quiet and unostentatious, and it was a genuine pleasure to do business with him. Mr. Kelly was always a public spirited man; you could always depend upon him to do his part. When there were but few of us, we had to look after public matters, and we worked together through the troubles incident to pioneer days. Mr. Kelly was a positive man, and his yea was yea, his nay, nay. He was a man who expected people to do right by him, for he always did right by them, and he would not brook deception. He was not a visionary man; he always lived within his means. He was kind to the poor, being especially interested in the poor among the people of his own church."

Mr. Kelly was married in Minneapolis April 20, 1863, to Annie Willey, widow of U. S. Willey, a prominent attorney of the city in early times. Mrs. Kelly was a daughter of Wm. Calder Haymond, a renowned lawyer of West Virginia, where she was born. Of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Kelly, always one of rare felicity, were born two sons and four daughters.


James Alfred Kellogg
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

James Alfred Kellogg has been engaged in the practice of law in Minneapolis since October 1887. Mr. Kellogg is a native of Ohio, having been born December 12, 1849, in New London, Huron County. His father, Hiram Tyre Kellogg, and his mother, Emiline Fiske (Kellogg), were people of moderate circumstances, and engaged in farming. H. T. Kellogg was a soldier in the War of 1812 on the American side. He was a native of Sheffield Township, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, where his father and grandfather were born. His father was a soldier in the K evolutionary War on the American side. Emiline Fiske Kellogg was a native of Hoc Pen Ridge, Connecticut. James Alfred Kellogg's education began in the district schools of Hillsdale, Michigan, and was continued through the high school. Afterwards he entered Hillsdale College, but did not graduate. He was a classmate of Will M. Carleton, the poet, and a member of the Alpha Kappa Phi society. He read law while teaching school, and engaged in farming at Ottawa, Illinois, improving such opportunity as his business afforded, often arising as early as three o'clock in the morning to pursue his studies, and reading during the noon intermission in school or farm work. and at every other opportunity which presented itself. He was admitted to the bar at Berrien Springs, Michigan, September, 1872, and commenced practice at Niles, Michigan. In October 1887, he came to Minneapolis and commenced the practice of law, in which he has been engaged ever since. When the war broke out Mr. Kellogg was only eleven years old, but he was old enough to take a deep interest in that great conflict, and on February 29, 1864, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-fourth Indiana Veteran Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the service until September 10, 1865, having served in the Army of the Cumberland, and as a soldier, and not simply as a drummer boy. He was fourteen years, two months and seventeen days old when he enlisted, and lacked three months of being sixteen years of age when he was mustered out, and yet he had never failed to do his share of the soldier's duties. Mr. Kellogg is a member of Rawlins Post, G. A. R., and was colonel and aide-de-camp on the staff of Gov. R. A. Alger, of Michigan, which was made up of veterans, each of whom bore scars received in battle. He is a Republican and was appointed circuit court commissioner of Berrien County, Michigan, in 1874. To this office he was elected twice. He declined a third nomination. He was elected justice of the peace of the city of Niles, Michigan, in 1876, but resigned one year later. He was elected prosecuting attorney of Berrien County in 1880 and again in 1882. In 1887 he was tendered a nomination for circuit judge in the Second District of Michigan, but declined. Mr. Kellogg was married May 29, 1870, to Frances Virginia Ball, of Ottawa, Illinois. They had three children, of whom the youngest only, Frances Lavinia, is still living. His wife died in 1877, and in December 1879, he was married again, to Alice Cooper, at Corunna, Michigan, with had two sons, one of whom, Alfred Cooper, is still living. Subsequently he was divorced and married Jennie L. Heath, of Plattsburg, New York, who has one son living, James Alfred, Jr., and one daughter, Jennie Louise, dead. Mr. Kellogg has been very successful in the practice of his profession, and has attained a high reputation as a lawyer, and as a man. It is doubtful if any person in the state of Minnesota was ever able to present a better endorsement from more responsibility people than that that which Mr. Kellogg was able to furnish to the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad in applying for a position in the legal department of that company.

ALSO:
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 216, submitted by Robin Line]
Kellogg, James Alfred, Minneapolis. Res 3037 Oakland av. office 305 Temple Court. Lawyer. Born Dec 12, 1849 in New London Ohio, son of Hyram Tyre and Emeline (Fisk) Kellogg. Educated at Hillsdale High School and Hillsdale College MIch 1865-68. Worked on a farm as a boy; enlisted as private in Co "G" 44th Regt Ind Vol Inf Feb 29, 1864; mustered out Aug 9, 1865 in the Army of the Cumberland. Engaged in farming, taught school and read law; admitted to the bar Berrien Springs, Berrien county Mich 1872. Has tried over 3,000 cases. Moved to Minneapolis Nov 1887. Mason; member G A R and Society of the Army of the Cumberland.


John J. Kendall
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 217, submitted by Robin Line]
Kendall, John J. Minneapolis. Res 211 E Franklin av, office 104 N 1855 in Ithaca N Y, son of John and 2d st. Manufacturer. Born Nov 20, Cornella (Jackson) Kendall. Married 1885 to Ella E. Catlin. Educated in public schools Winona and Shattuck School Faribault. Employed in drug business Winona 1876-95; in various mercantile lines, as trav salesman and in mnfg confectionery business for self Winona (1895-1901; established Kendall Mnfg Co Minneapolis working-men's clothing mnfrs 1901 to date.


Thomas Ervin Kepner
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Thomas Ervin Kepner - The ancestry of T. E. Kepner is of good old New England stock. On his father's side the family came from Pennsylvania, and on his mother's side from New York. He was born October 29, 1867, in Olmstead County, Minnesota, the son of G. W. Kepner, a farmer in that county, and Cynthia Hallenbeck (Kepner). Thomas received his early education in the common schools, later taking a course in the Rochester (Minnesota) Academy, from which he graduated in 1886. After his graduation he worked for four years as cashier and bookkeeper with the firm of Leet & Knowlton, dealers in wholesale and retail dry goods, at Rochester. During this time, however, in his leisure hours, he read law under the direction of H. A. Eckholdt. After leaving Leet & Knowlton he worked for a time in the office of Mr. Eckholdt, but came to Minneapolis in 1892, entering the law department of the University of Minnesota. He graduated from that department in the class of '94, and immediately engaged in the practice of his profession in Minneapolis. For the short period of practice since then, Mr. Kepner has been highly successful. He has made a specialty of insurance law and is local attorney for a number of insurance companies. He has also contributed somewhat to law publications, and is at present engaged by the West Publishing Company to write a text book on insurance law for their Hornbook Series. Mr. Kepner is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and in college was a member of the Phi Delta Phi. He is a member of Hennepin Avenue M. E. church.


John Henry Kerrick
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

John Henry Kerrick is a dealer in machinery in Minneapolis, the head of the firm of Kerrick & Frost. He was born in Gilletts, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, August 16, 1842, the son of John D. Kerrick, now deceased, and Margaret M. Decker (Kerrick). The only educational advantages he enjoyed in youth were those of the common schools. Mr. Kerrick entered the employ of A. T. Nichols & Co., of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, as a bookkeeper in their machine works. This was his first business engagement. Subsequently he traveled for them as salesman for several years, and, finally, located a branch house for this firm at Indianapolis, which did the largest business of any establishment in that line in the state. He sold his interest in the Indianapolis establishment in 1880 and came to Minnesota, locating at Minneapolis, where he engaged in the same line of business, outfitting saw mills, planing mills, sash and door factories, machine shops, etc. His business increased very rapidly, and for several years he did the largest machinery business then carried on west of Chicago, amounting to over half a million dollars in the course of twelve months. The hard times of 1884 caused embarrassment, which was subsequently recovered from and the business re-established under the firm name already given, and is now conducted with success. Mr. Kerrick has an honorable record as a soldier. He enlisted in the army in the One Hundred and Seventy-ninth New York Volunteers as a private and participated in the battles of Cold Harbor Spottsylvania Court House, White House Landing, Petersburg, and was at the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. At the battle of Petersburg the flag fell from the hands of the color sergeant, who was shot in seven places, and Mr. Kerrick seized it and carried it from Petersburg to the close of the war and back to Elmira, New York. He is a member of Morgan Post, No. 4, G. A. R. He has always been a loyal supporter of the candidates and principles of the Republican party. He is a member of the Fowler M. E. Church, a new society organized in 1894 by Bishop Fowler. Mr. Kerrick was married April 1, 1876, to Mrs. Virginia A. Smith. They have no children.

Also:
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 218, submitted by Robin Line]
Kerrick, John Henry, Minneapolis. Res 2214 Bryant av S. office 126 3d av N. Machinery. Born Aug 12, 1842 in Gilletts Pa. son of John D and Margaret M (Deeker) Kerrick. Married April 11, 1876 to Mrs. Virginia A Smith. Educated in common schools. First employed as bkpr in A T Nichols & Co machine works Williamsport Pa. Traveled for same and located branch in Indianapolis which he conducted until 1880. Moved to Minneapolis and has been engaged in machinery business to date, first alone, then as Kerrick & Frost and then alone. Served in Civil War in 179th N Y Vols. Member G A R.


William F. Kiesel
Source: History of Anoka County and the Towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, Minnesota, by Albert M. Goodrich (1905) Transcribed by Jackie McCarty

William F. Kiesel was born at Langenhagen, in Pommern, Germany, June 10, 1859. Attended the common schools; came to America at the age of twenty-four and spent six years in gardening near St. Paul, and then carried on a farm in Maple Grove four years, living meanwhile in Champlin. In 1895 he purchased a farm in section 35, town of Burns, where he still lives. He has 80 acres, about 45 of which are under cultivation. He was married Feb.21, 1886, to Rachel Blesi. Children: Anna M., Emma F., Katherine E., Rosa B., Frediline A.


William Kilgore
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 219, submitted by Robin Line]
Kilgore, William. Minneapolis. Res 2634 Fremont av N. office same. Lawyer. Born Dec 31, 1838 in Cadiz O. son of Daniel Kilgore. Attended Jefferson College Pa 1856-57; graduated from Cincinnati Law College LLB 1861 and admitted to bar in Ohio; admitted in McLeod county Minn 1874. Has practiced last in Minnesota 1874 to date. Served in armies of the Ohio and Cumberland in Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia, private and 1st lieut 1861-65. Chairman microscopical section Minnesota Academy of Sciences 1880. Member Butler Post G A R.


Hamlin Kimball
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 220, submitted by Robin Line]
Kimball Hannibal Hamlin, Minneapolis. Res 219 E 24th, office Pillsbury bldg. Physician (R) and surgeon. Born Aug 18, 1843 in Carmel Me, son of John and Abigail (Homans). Kimball. Educated in public schools Herman Me until 16 years of age, then at Hampden Academy Me; Lewiston Seminary (now Bates College); Childs College Pittsfield Mass; Bowdoin Medical College class of 1866, and Bellview (NY) Medical College. Has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession since graduation in 1866. Member Hennepin County Medical Society, Minnesota State Medical Society, Minnesota State Medical Society and American Medical Assn; Minikahda and Commercial clubs Minneapolis; Masonic fraternity and K P.


Leonard Kimball
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 220, submitted by Robin Line]
Kimball Leonard, Minneapolis. Res 65 S 11th st. office 16 S 5th st. Printer and bookbinder. Born Aug 23, 1848 in Naples Me, son of Charles and Ruth W (Trafton) Kimball. Married Dec 24, 1877 to Mary J. Pierce. Educated in common schools and attended U of M 1867-69; engaged in mercantile business until 1879; in printing business as Todd & Kimball 1879-84; L Kimball Printing Co 1884; organized the Kimball-Stover Co 1884, which continues to date. Member Publicity Club; Masonic fraternity.


Preston King
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 222, submitted by Robin Line]
King, Preston, Minneapolis. Res 624 9th st S. office 28 Hennepin av. Merchant. Born Feb 6, 1857 in Llion N Y, son of Wm S and Mary (Stevens) King. Married Feb 2, 1886 to Josephine Marrs. Educated in common schools Minneapolis; graduated from Williston Seminary East Hampton Mass 1876; graduated from Yale College 1880. Engaged in mercantile business until 1895; one of the incorporators of Northrop King Co Inc seedsmen 1895 and has been treas to date.


Stanley Rice Kitchel
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Stanley Rice Kitchel is a member of the Minneapolis bar, where he has been practicing law since 1879. Mr. Kitchel is of English descent and traces his ancestry to very early period in the settlement of this country. The first member of the family to come to America was Robert Kitchel, who came with his wife, Margaret, as one of a company of Pilgrim refugees who sailed from England, April 26, 1639, in the first vessel that anchored in the harbor of what is now known as New Haven, Connecticut. This colony settled in Guilfdord, Connecticut, where Robert Kitchel became a leader in the community and acquired a considerable state. In 1666 Robert Kitchel and his family moved to Newark, New Jersey. His descendants became numerous in that vicinity and many families now living there and bearing the name of Kitchel trace their ancestry direct to this first member of the family in America, and although different branches of the family are to be found in different parts of the country they are more numerous in New Jersey than anywhere else. Among the descendants of Robert Kitchel was Harvey D. Kitchel, D. D., a Congregational minister, who began preaching in Detroit, Michigan, in 1848, and remained there until 1864. In 1864 he went to Chicago, where he had charge of a large church and where he remained until 1866. when he was elected president of Middlebury College, in Vermont. He held this position until 1873, when he resigned. Since that time he has not been engaged actively in any professional work. He died September 11, 1895. His wife's maiden name was Ann Sheldon, whose family resided at Rupert, Vermont. Among the children of Harvey D. and Ann Sheldon Kitchel is Stanley Rice Kitchel, born at Detroit, Michigan, July 4, 1855. Stanley Kitchel was more fortunate than most boys in his parentage. His father was a man of bright cheerful, happy disposition, in thorough sympathy with his children, and, in a larger degree than usual, was the companion and intimate friend of his sons. To the advantages of the public schools of Detroit and Chicago were added for him the helpful counsel and guidance of his father, who without repressing the spirits of his sons, instilled in them the habits of study and industry. Stanley fitted for college at Middlebury, Vermont, high school and entered Middlebury College in 1872, remaining there two years. In 1874 he went to Williams College, where he graduated in 1876. While in college he was a member of the Chi Psi fraternity and maintained a high rank as a student. He had determined to be a lawyer, and on May 1, 1877, arrived in Minneapolis in search of the larger and better opportunities believed to exist for a young lawyer in the rapidly developing west. In June the following year he was admitted to the bar of Hennepin County, and has been engaged in active practice ever since. He began without partners in business and continued in that way until 1880. In that year he became a member of the firm of Rea, Woolley & Kitchel, which partnership continued until 1883. From 1883 to 1886 the firm was Rea, Kitchel & Shaw, and from 1886 to date it has been Kitchel, Cohen & Shaw. Mr. Kitchel is a Republican politics and takes an active interest in public affairs, although he has never asked for any political preferment for himself. His church connection is with the Plymouth Congregational Church. He was president of the Minneapolis Bar Association, 1894-97; president of the Minneapolis Club, 1895-97, and a member of the following Masonic bodies: Khurum Lodge, St. John's Chapter, Minneapolis Council, Minneapolis Mounted Commandery and the Scottish Rite. He was married December 2, 1879, to Anna C. Gerhard, of Delaware, Ohio. They have one child, Willard Cray Kitchel, born March 20, 1881.


Herman W. Kixmoeller
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 222, submitted by Robin Line]
Kixmoeller, Herman W., Minneapolis. Res 1317 Emerson av N, office 112-116 S 5th st. Photographers'supplies. Born Dec 3, 1870 in Minneapolis, son of S and Margaret Kixmoeller. Educated in Minneapolis public schools and later by business tutor. Entered boot and shoe trade 1884: entered establishment of O H Peck photograph supply merchant as bkpr and later as mngr 1889-96; in 1896 became partner in business of Minneapolis Photo Material Co, in 1902 firm was merged with O H Peck and Fouch & Co under firm name of O H Peck Company, of which he is pres and treas.


Swan M. Klarquist
[Source: A History of The Swedish-Americans of Minnesota, A. E. Strand, Vol. 3, page 771-772 submitted by Robin Line]
Swan M. Klarquist.-Prominent among the larger contractors for general mason work in Minneapolis in Swan M. Klarquist, whose office is located at No. 10 South Third street. He is a fine representative of the intelligent and thrifty Swedes who have contributed so largely towards the advancement of the industrial and financial prosperity of the city, and is in every respect deserving to the esteem in which he is held as a capable business man and a valued citizen. A native of Sweden, he was born, April 23, 1854, in Langaryd, Smalalnd, on the home farm. His parents, Stephanus and Jennie (Johannesson) Klarquist, had four sons and three daughters, of whom the following named are living: Inga Maria; Christina, wife of Peter Johnson, a farmer in Kandiyohi county; Swan M., of this sketch; John, of Minneapolis, foreman for his brother Swan, married Sara Olson, of this city.

After leaving the public schools of his native town, Swan M. Klarquist was confirmed and then began work for himself, going first to Halmstad, where he was employed as a mason in summer and as a stone cutter in the winter for two years. From 1872 until 1874 he was engaged in railroad work in Denmark, working on bridges for the Northwestern Seeland Railroad Company, the following year working for the same contractor on a railway in Fyen, for his excellent and faithful services being rewarded by his employer with a handsome bonus and a fine letter of recommendation. In 1876 the American fever, which had been troubling him for some time, was brought to a crisis, and Mr. Klarquist sailed for the United States, landing in New York City one bright day. Continuing his itinerary to Illinois, he located in Princeton, where he had friends, and was there employed as a mason for two years. In 1878 he came to Minneapolis, which has since been his home. The first year that he lived there he worked as journeyman mason, but in 1879 began taking contracts on his own account, and has met with eminent success in this line of industry. In his labors Mr. Klarquist has devoted his attention mostly to public buildings in the state and its cities and has also done work outside of the state, among others having erected the city hall at Marquette, Michigan. During the past fifteen years Mr. Klarquist has put up seven buildings for the University of Minnesota, and has erected several church building, including the Swedish tabernacle, the First Congregational church, the Wesley Methodist church and others, while in 1908 he erected five public school buildings, and the West Side high school building for the city of Minneapolis.

On December 6, 1879, Mr. Klarquist married Christine Edquist, who was born in Vermland, Sweden, and came to this country with her parents when ten years of age. Six children have blessed their union, namely: Sadrak M., born August 21, 1880, is in business with his father; Rachel A., born June 25, 1882; Reuben E., born March 30, 1886, is in the commission business; Effie, born February 15, 1890; Clarice Swanhild, born October 6, 1898; and Dorothy Victoria Abigail, born October 12, 1901. Religiously Mr. Klarquist and his family are valued members of the Swedish Covenant church (the Swedish tabernacle), of which Rev. Mr. Skogsberg is the pastor. The home of the family, at No. 3732 Nicollet avenue, is pleasant and attractive, and its doors are ever open to many friends and acquaintances.


Charles P. Kleinmann
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 222-223, submitted by Robin Line]
Kleinmann, Charles P, Minneapolis. Res 1315 Clinton av S. office 807 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. born 1878 in Hutchinson Minn, son of John G Kleinmann. Graduated from Hutchinson (Minn) High School 1898; law dept U of M 1902; Curtis Business College Minneapolis 1903; post-graduate course law dept U of M, LL M 1903. Practiced law in Minneapolis 1903 to date. Member 14th Minn Vol Inf Spanish-American War. Member Knights of Columbus.


Thomas Kneeland
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 223, submitted by Robin Line]
Kneeland, Thomas, Minneapolis. Res 124 S 13th st. office 554 Security Bk bldg. Lawyer. Born June 19, 1851 in Harrison Me, son of Peabody and Abigail (Cummings) Kneeland. Worked on a farm as a boy and taught school in Maine from 1874-77; was prin of S Berwick Academy at S Berwick Me. Graduated from Bridgeton Academy at N Bridgeton Me 1870; and from Bowdoin College Me 1874; received degree of B A and in 1877 M A. Began study of law in the office of the Hon W L Putnam Portland Me 1877-79; was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Maine 1879; in Minnesota 1880 and in supreme court of the U S 1903. Member Commercial Club and Masonic fraternity.


Frederick Arnott Knights
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 224, submitted by Robin Line]
Knights, Frederick Arnott, Minneapolis. Res 2804 Chicago av, office 416 Masonic Temple. Physician (R). Born 1861 in Lamoille Ill. Attended Doane College Crete Neb; graduated from medical dept Northwestern Univ 1890. Has practiced medicine 1890 to date. Member Minn State Medical Society; American Medical Assn; and Hennepin County Medical Society; councillor 4th dist.


David Waldo Knowlton
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 223, submitted by Robin Line]
Knowlton, David Waldo, Minneapolis. Res 59 S 11th st, office 514 Masonic Temple. Lawyer. Born July 4, 1862 in Worchester Mass. son of Daniel Waldo and Mary E (Clapp) Knowlton. Married Oct 5, 1901 to Ellen E Bugbee. Educated in public schools Worcester; graduated from Colby Univ Waterville Me A B 1883. Engaged in practice in Minneapolis as member of Babcock, Bacon & Knowlton 1888-1890; with Judge F B Bailey 1891-93; alone to date. Dir Masonic Temple Assn; Minnesota & Manitoba R R. Mason 33d degree; treas of the Grand Lodge and member board of custodians; member Phi Beta Kappa. Served 12 years in M N G; later asst inspector gen on brigade staff. Clk of probate court Hennepin county 1890.


Robert Koehler
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Robert Koehler is director of the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts. Mr. Koehler is a native of Hamburg, Germany, where he was born November 28, 1850. His father, Theodore Alexander Ernest Koehler, was a mechanic of especial skill. He was a native of Berlin, received his early education at Pottsdam, and, after having learned his trade, entered upon his "wanderjahre," as was then the custom in Germany, his wanderings leading him into various parts of Europe, including St. Petersburg, Copenhagen. etc. His wife, Charlotte Christine Louise Bueter, daughter of Nicolaus Basilius Bueter, a master builder of Hamburg, was a lady of artistic tastes and attainments and a teacher of artistic needlework to many of the ladies of Hamburg. In 1854 Ernest Koehler came to America with his family and settled in Milwaukee. He desired that his children should have better educational advantages than he had enjoyed, and, not satisfied with the public schools of Milwaukee, sent them to a private school where Robert received his early education. Besides English, German, French, Latin and Greek were taught, and much attention given to other special studies, including chemistry, literature, drawing, etc. In drawing, Robert, the subject of this sketch, easily excelled, and when it came to the choice of a profession his tastes led him to that of lithographer. In due time he became apprenticed to a lithographing firm. But the work of a commercial engraver did not satisfy his ambition. He desired to devote himself seriously to the art of drawing, for which purpose he decided to go to Europe and enter an academy of art there. It was necessary for him to rely upon his own resources, and, encouraged by his private teacher of drawing, H. Roese, he began preparing himself, devoting his leisure time to fresco painting, when suddenly his teacher died. His only hope now rested upon his skill as an engraver. In 1871 he accepted a position in this capacity in Pittsburg. During this time difficulty with his eyes necessitated an operation in New York. He secured employment in a small engraving establishment, sharing his fortunes with a former fellow apprentice, and worked hard with the hope of better things. In the course of a year and a half he had saved sufficient money to carry out his long cherished scheme of going to Europe for the purpose of studying. Though at first refused admission to the Royal Academy at Munich, because the time for admitting students had expired, the superiority of his work submitted secured his acceptance, and he became a student of the antique class, advancing to the portrait class the first term. Having exhausted his resources at the end of two years, he was compelled to return to America. He had determined, however, upon the career of an artist, and refused a brilliant offer from a lithographic establishment for commercial work. He went to New York, where the Art Students League had been organized, and after having hard work maintaining himself through four years of constant toil and study, he was quite unexpectedly provided by George Ehret with the means for continuing his studies in Europe, he returned and continued his studies there for nearly four years. He again returned to America on a visit, authorized at the same time by the Munich Artists Association, to enlist the co-operation of American artists for the grand international art exhibition to be held in 1883, proved very successful. In 1887 he was again sent to America in the same capacity, but not being able to remain here long enough to attend in the work personally, he left it in the hands of a committee of leading artists of New York, who allowed it to fail. Nothing daunted, Mr. Koehler proceeded to organize an exhibition of the work of Americans studying in Europe, and for his energy and labor was awarded the cross of the Order of St. Michael by the Prince Regent of Bavaria. About this time Mr. Koehler took charge of a private art school in Munich and was also engaged with his own brush upon work which was exhibited at the Munich International Exhibition and at other European and American cities. At the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1889 he received honorable mention, and the year following he exhibited at the Paris salon, Champ de Mars. Among other purchasers of his pictures were Mr. George I. Seeney and the Temple Collection at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. December 1892, he returned to America, but had hardly got fairly located at the Van Dyke Studio, in New York, when he was offered the directorship of the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts. He was married since his return to America to Miss Marie Fischer, of Rochester, New York. Though mainly occupied with teaching, Mr. Koehler has found time since coming to Minneapolis to produce several pictures and portraits, to appear upon the lecture platform on numerous occasions, and to contribute to the American and German periodicals on art topics. He is a member of the Munich Art Association and the Munich Etching Club, and president of the Studio Club in Minneapolis and of the Minneapolis Art League, recently formed. He also had the position of president of the American Artists Club, of Munich, four times, and served as a member of the jury at the International Art Exhibition at Munich, in 1883.


Christian Henry Kohler
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 224, submitted by Robin Line]
Kohler, Christian Henry, Minneapolis. Res Holmes Hotel, office 612 Pillsbury blk. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Oct 5, 1868 in Watertown Minn. son of Sebastian and Johanna (Baumann) Kohler. Attended common and high school Watertown Minn; graduated from American Medical College St. Louis Mo 1887; Hahnemann Medical College Chicago 1888; U of M medical dept 1898; post-graduate work in Vienna Austria 1 year in 1885 and 3 months in 1900. Has practiced medicine and surgery 1888 to date; oculist and aurist, specialist; eye, ear, nose and throat surgeon to St. Barnabas Hospital Minneapolis. V Pres Pioneer Realty Co and R R Stoner Land Co Ltd Minneapolis; v pres and sec Minneapolis Brick & Tile Co; pres Wisconsin Development Co; A W Lucas Co Bismarck N D; v pres Hillside Cemetery Col. Member County, State and National Medical societies; Minneapolis Commercial, and Automobile clubs; B P O E and M W A.


Martin B. Koon
Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal, 1897 - transcribed by AJ
  Martin B. Koon is a lawyer practicing his profession in Minneapolis. His ancestry on his father's side is Scotch, and on his mother's side Connecticut Yankee. His father, Alanson Koon, was a farmer in moderate circumstances, in Schuyler County, New York, a man of sterling Christian character. His mother's maiden name was Marilla Wells, and Mr. Koon is wont to speak of her in terms of deep affection and the most profound reverence for her memory. She was a woman of strong character, and deeply impressed herself upon her children. The most valuable legacy which his parents bequeathed to him was habits of industry, indomitable perseverance, never failing energy and a mind naturally active and studious. Martin B. was born January 22, 1841, at Altay, Schuyler County, New York. While he was yet a lad his father removed with his family to Hillsdale County, Michigan, where the subject of this sketch grew up on a farm. He recalls that the first money he ever earned was for riding a horse for a neighbor while plowing corn. Mr. Koon attended the winter schools, as most farmer boys did in those days, and worked on the farm in the summer. He prosecuted his studies, however, with such diligence that, at the age of seventeen, he was prepared to enter Hillsdale College. During his college course he supplemented his limited resources by teaching school several terms, but kept up his studies and completed his course in 1863. He had, however, labored so hard as a student as to seriously impair his health, and in 1864 a change of climate became necessary, and he made a trip to California by way of the Isthmus. The change was beneficial, and after remaining two years in California, engaged in teaching, he returned to Michigan to take up the study of law in the office of his brother, E. L. Koon. In 1867 he was admitted to the bar in Hillsdale, Michigan, and soon afterward entered into partnership with his brother, which association continued until 1878. While he did not go actively into politics, he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney in Hillsdale County in 1870 to 1874. In 1873 he spent four months in travel in Europe. He had become persuaded, however, that Hillsdale did not offer a sufficient field for the exercise of his talent, and in 1878 he removed to Minneapolis, where he formed a partnership with E. A. Merrill, to which firm A. M. Keith was afterward admitted. This firm enjoyed an extensive and profitable business until the fall of 1881, when, owing largely to overwork, Mr. Koon fell a victim of typhoid fever, and on his partial recovery he went to California in search of health. In 1883, after his return, Judge J. M. Shaw resigned from the district bench, and Gov. Hubbard appointed Mr. Koon to fill the vacancy. This was entirely without Mr. Koon's solicitation and wholly unexpected. He accepted the office with much reluctance, doubting his qualifications for the position. He filled it with such eminent satisfaction, however, that in the following fall he was unanimously elected to the same office for the term of seven years. But he did not find the duties of the office congenial to him, and May 1, 1886, he resigned. His resignation was received with general and profound regret. His administration of the office had been marked by singular ability, and his retirement from the bench was regarded as a misfortune by the whole community. During his occupancy of that position he tried a number of important cases, among them the Washburn will case, the St. Anthony water power case, the King-Remington case, the Cantieny murder case, and others scarcely less important. This work involved an enormous amount of study and research, which he most conscientiously performed. On his retirement from the bench he resumed the practice of his profession, and is now the senior member of the firm of Koon, Whelan & Bennett. The practice of the firm is mainly in the line of corporation law. They are attorneys for the Minneapolis Street Railway Company, the "Soo" Railway Company, the Pillsbury-Washburn Company, the G. W. Van Dusen Company, the Washburn-Crosby Company, the Northwestern National Bank, Gillette-Herzog Company, the Miller's and Manufacturers' Insurance Company, the London Guarantee and Accident Company, and others. Judge Koon is a member of the Minneapolis Club, the Commercial Club, the Chamber of Commerce and a trustee of the Church of the Redeemer. He was married November, 1873, to Josephine Vandermark and has two daughters, Catherine Estelle and M. Louise.

ALSO:
[Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota, 1907, page 226, submitted by Robin Line]
Koon Martin B, Minneapolis. Res 1600 Harmon pl, office 350 Temple Court, Lawyer. Born Jan 22, 1841 in Schuyler county N Y, son of Alanson and Marilla (Wells) Koon. Educated in the public schools of Hillsdale county, MIch. and 3 years in Hillsdale College; left college in 1864 owing to ill health and went to California where he taught school for 2 years; received degree of LL D from Hillsdale College some years later. Began practice in 1868 in Hillsdale Mich in firm of E L & M B Koon; afterwards Koon & Merrill Minneapolis 1878-81; Koon, Merrill & Keith 1881-83; judge of district court Hennepin county 1883-86; practiced law alone 1886-90, since which time has been at the head of the firm of Koon, Whalen & Bennett. V pres N W National Bank and Minn Loan and Trust Co; dir Minneapolis General Electric Co; Minneapolis Street Railway Co; Electric Steel Elevator Co and Great Western Elevator co. Member Minneapolis, Minikahda and Lafayette clubs.

Hennepin County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails