Hennepin County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Biographies "T-U-V"


Armstrong Taylor
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Armstrong Taylor is a member of the Minneapolis bar, and a gentleman who honors the profession of which he is a member. He is a son of John Taylor and Sarah Dowler (Taylor), and grew up on a farm in northern Vermont, where his parents lived, in very moderate circumstances. His ancestors were Scotch and English, who emigrated to the north of Ireland at the time of William of Orange. His family came to this country in 1839. The subject of this sketch was born at Berkshire, Vermont, November 17, 1850. While yet a young lad Armstrong Taylor valued the advantages of education, and determined to obtain such schooling as he could bring within his reach. He attended the district schools of the neighborhood and maintained himself by doing chores for his board. He has no college education, but good academic training. Continued his studies while working as a farmer in summer and teaching school in the winter. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of law at Richford, Vermont, with Hartson F. Woodard, and afterwards studied in the office of Davis & Adams, at St. Albans, Vermont, where he was admitted to the bar on June 28, 1875. Mr. Taylor immediately removed to Wisconsin and commenced the practice of his profession at Baldwin, St. Croix County. He continued in the practice of law there for twelve years, when he removed to Minneapolis locating in this city March 27, 1887. He has continued in the practice of law with eminent success before all the courts of this state. Mr. Taylor has always been a Republican, and cast his first vote for Grant for "four years more" in 1872. Was appointed by the governor of Wisconsin as county attorney of St. Croix County in 1883. He refused the nomination to the same office at the next election, preferring general practice. He is a member of the Commercial Club of Minneapolis and several Masonic lodges. His church connections are with the Episcopal society. He was married in June, 1876, to Julia Noyes, of Richford, Vermont, but they have no children. Mr. Taylor takes great pride in his profession and enjoys the esteem and confidence of his clients and friends.


Gustav Theden
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

On the twelfth day of November, 1862 Gustav Theden was born at Nor, Vermland, Sweden. He was educated in the schools of his native country, and graduated from Karlstad College in 1880. Shortly after taking his degree he emigrated to the United States, settling in Chicago, where he became editor of Missions Vannin, a position which he held for eight years, when he came to Minneapolis, since his home. Since his residence in Minneapolis, Mr. Theden has been editor of the Minneapolis Veckoblad, a religious and political newspaper in Swedish, having a circulation of about fourteen thousand. He is now one of the proprietors of that paper. He has a good understanding of military tactics, having had a careful training along this line in the mother country. He is a member of the Swedish Mission Covenant Church, and is unmarried. It was in the campaign of 1892 that Mr. Theden first made himself felt in politics. He was engaged by the Republican State Central Committee to make a number of speeches in the Swedish tongue at various points over the state. Having studied law with a marked degree of success, and having many of the arts and graces of the public speaker, he made a reputation in that campaign which two years later secured him the nomination as a candidate for the state senate from one of the Minneapolis districts. He was elected by a large majority, and his term of office will not expire until the first of January, 1899. During his first term as member of the state senate he became known as the champion of measures designed to benefit labor, notably the lien law, which owes its present efficiency in this state in large part to his efforts. He was also back of legislation intended to give voice to the demand for additional safeguards to be thrown around the liquor traffic. His chief work as a temperance reformer is embodied in a bill nullifying an ordinance of the city of Minneapolis providing that only members of the police department should be qualified to swear out warrants for a violation of the Sunday closing law, so-called. At the opening of the present session of the legislature (in January, 1897), he became the champion of that large and growing class of citizens who believe that the modern department stores are against public policy. He moved the committee of investigation that was busy for a large part of the session sifting out the facts connected with that system, and was made its chairman. Mr. Theden is a striking representative of the successful young man in politics, and his career so far has been an honorable one. He enjoys the confidence of a rapidly widening circle of acquaintances and friends, and his future is very promising.


Gideon J. Thompkins
Source: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman

GIDEON J. THOMPKINS is one of the leading business men of Republic, being at the head of a blacksmith business and a large agricultural house. He was born in Kemptville, Ontario, on February 20, 1959, the son of Dennis and Ann J. (Carson) Tompkins, natives of Canada. The parents had a family of thirteen children, and remained in Canada until the time of their death. The father was a general contractor and farmer. Our subject received his education in his native place, and at the age of fifteen, came to the United States, and located in Ogdensburg, where he learned the blacksmith trade. After following the same for three years, he came west to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and about 1879 came on to Montana, where he engaged as horse shoer for a state company, operating from Boseman [sic] to Miles City, a distance of three hundred and thirty-five miles, until 1882 when he came to Yellowstone Park. Later, we see him in Minneapolis, and in 1888 he left that state and settled at Pony, Montana. He still continued at his trade, and two years later came on to the coast. In 1891 we find him on the Market street cable car line in San Francisco, and in 1893 he took a trip to the World's Fair. From there he journeyed to Des Moines, Iowa, and for three years was in the fruit business in that state. Next we see him mining in Colorado, after which he came on to Spokane, and in 1898 settled in Republic. He at once opened a blacksmith shop and in thirty days after the reservation opened, he had ordered a carload of machinery. He sold the first mower, the first binder, the first threshing machine, the first wagon, and the first fanning mill in Ferry county. From that time until the present, Mr. Tompkins has pressed his business with energy and handled it with wisdom, and during the season of 1903, he disposed of over five carloads of machinery.

Politically, he is a strong Republican, and has served for two years as president of the McKinley Club. For two years, Mr. Tompkins was councilman of Republic, and he has always been a prominent and influential citizen.

In 1890 Mr. Tompkins married Marguerite Baker, a native of Dayton, Washington. Her parents crossed the plains in 1847. Mr. Tompkins is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the I. O. O. F., the Eastern Star, and the Rebekahs. His wife also belongs to the last two orders. He is W. M. of the first order.


Frank J. Thompson
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller

FRANK J. THOMPSON, a prominent attorney of Fargo, is a man of deep research and careful investigation, and his skill and ability have won him a large and paying practice. Prominence at the bar comes through merit alone, and the high position he has attained attests his superiority.

Mr. Thompson was born in Rockford, Illinois, August 23, 1854, and is a son of Jared C. and Sarah J. (Mason) Thompson, both natives of New York. During the 'thirties they removed to Michigan, and for thirty years the father was employed as an engineer on the Michigan Central Railroad. In 1878 he came to Dakota, and after serving the Northern Pacific Railroad in that capacity for ten years, was transferred to the shops at Dickinson, where he now resides. He has two sons: Frank F., of this review; and Fred, also a resident of Dickinson. On both sides ancestors of our subject were soldiers of the Revolutionary war, and were among the minute men who participated in the battle of Lexington. His maternal ancestor was Hugh Mason, who settled in Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1634. His paternal grandfather was John Thompson, who died in Fargo, North Dakota, in 1883.

The literary education of our subject was obtained in the schools of Marshall and Jackson, Michigan, and in the former city he learned the machinist's trade, serving a five years' apprenticeship, but he never followed the same. For two years he engaged in teaching music, and in 1876 began the study of law at Jackson, Michigan, with Higbee & Gibson, both well-known attorneys in that state. Soon after his admission to the bar in the spring of 1878 Mr. Thompson came to North Dakota, and located at Fargo, where he opened an office, and has since successfully engaged in practice f his chosen profession. In 1881 he formed a partnership with H. Krogh, but this connection was dissolved in 1892, and he has since been alone.

At Minneapolis, Minnesota, in November, 1882, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Thompson and Miss Elmadine Bissonette, a native of Montreal, Canada, and they now have two children: Jeredine and Jack Dacotah. In 1889 Mr. Thompson was elected to the state legislature and was chairman of the judiciary committee of the house. He was appointed assistant attorney-general under Hon. C. A. M. Spencer, and served in that capacity for some time. On attaining his majority he became identified with the Republican party, which he continued to support until 1895, when he became a Populist and is now chairman of the state central committee of that party. He is very prominent in Masonic circles and has taken every degree in the order. He is now secretary of all the state organizations in that fraternity; was potentate of the Shrine six years; is now recorder in the same, and also holds those offices in the Scottish Rite bodies. He also belongs to the Benevolent and Patriotic Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, and the United Commercial Travelers. He has always taken a most active and prominent part in public affairs; has stumped the state in the interest of his party at different times, and is the author of the resolution introduced into the first legislative assembly by which native-born children of North Dakota are known as "flickertails." He stands high among his professional brethren, and is very popular with all classes of citizens.


Harry W. Thompson
Source: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman

HARRY W. THOMPSON is well known in northern Washington, and also to the newspaper fraternity throughout the state of Washington. At the present time he is conducting a hotel in Republic and a farm near by. He was born in Hennepin county, Minnesota, on June 1, 1862, being the son of Augustus and Sarah (Bazley) Thompson, natives of Pennsylvania and England, respectively. The parents settled in Minnesota after their marriage, where the father died in 1892, and the mother still lives. They were the parents of fifteen children, names as follows, Mary, Fannie, Augustin, William, Sarah, Harry W., Charles, Fred, Lora, Lillie, Ellen, George, Vernie, and two others who died in infancy. The father of our subject was a veteran of the Mexican war, and after that he followed farming for the remainder of his life.

Harry W. received his education in Hennepin county and later took a course in Minneapolis business college. At the age of twenty-one he began business for himself, and the first year operated his mother's farm. After that he came to Washington and located in Dayton, where he was engaged in a printing office for two years. He then went to Okanogan county, being one of the first settlers there, and was employed as compositor on the first paper published in the county. In 1890 Mr. Thompson bought out the Okanogan Outlook and operated it for eight years. In 1892, he lost everything by fire, but rebuilt and went forward with the business until 1896, when his entire property was washed away in the flood. Again he rebuilt and continued the business for two years more, when he discontinued and went into the hotel business for one year.

Later we see him in Toroda in the merchandise business, and in 1898 he settled in Republic and he opened the Thompson hotel which he operated nearly two years. Then he took a homestead adjoining the town, which he still owns. About one third of the place is under cultivation, and is supplied with good fences, buildings and other improvements. Later Mr. Thompson opened the Eureka House, and then took charge of the Delaware Hotel, which he runs now as a first-class house.

In 1883, Mr. Thompson married Miss Josephine Sly, and to them five children have been born, named as follows, Pearl, Lulu, Perry, Raymond, and Richard.

Politically, Mr. Thompson is a Republican, and recently took the field for county assessor, but as the county was Democratic, he did not win. He has been school director at various times and has held other offices. Fraternally, he is affiliated with I. O. O. F., the Rebekahs, and the Fraternal Army. His wife and daughters belong to the Rebekahs, and his wife to the Eastern Star.


J. H. Thompson
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

J. H. Thompson is one of the pioneer settlers of Minneapolis, having been engaged in business in that city for over forty years as a merchant tailor and dealer in gents furnishing goods. He was born in South Berwick, Maine, August 17, 1834, the son of Daniel G. Thompson and Dorca Allen Hayes (Thompson). His father was a well-to-do farmer in the state of Maine. In September 1843, the family removed from South Berwick to a farm in North Yarmouth, Maine, where the subject of this sketch worked on the farm and attended the country school until he was fifteen years of age. He was then engaged as a clerk in George S. Farnsworth's store at North Bridgton, Maine. A year later, in March 1850, he commenced to learn the tailor's trade with Nathaniel Osgood. He here attended the North Bridgton Academy in the winter of 1851. In July 1853, he removed to Augusta, Maine, and was employed as a clerk and cutter by Richard Bosworth. In March 1853, he was employed in the same capacity by J. H. and F. W. Chisam, of the same city. In the winter of 1856 he came West, looking over several locations in order to find a suitable location to open business, finally deciding to try what was then St. Anthony. He started in the tailoring business in this town in the winter of 1856-57, being the first tailor in Minneapolis. He has continued in the same line of business ever since and has enjoyed a large and profitable trade. In connection with his tailoring business he had for years the first express office in .Minneapolis, and also sold the first railroad tickets to the East via steamboats and by rail from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

In August 1862, he was a volunteer in Captain Anson Northrup's company for the relief of the threatened settlers at Fort Ridgely. He is a Republican in politics and takes an active part in party affairs. He served as supervisor of the town of Minneapolis for several years, and also as alderman. In the fall of 1856, when only twenty-one years of age, he took considerable interest in the election of John C. Fremont, Republican candidate for president. In September of the same year he was elected and took the three degrees in Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry, in Bethlehem Lodge, No. 35, jurisdiction of Maine. In November of the same year he was elected Senior Deacon of the lodge. He has held several other offices in the Masonic fraternity, more especially that of the grand treasurers office consecutively for the past nineteen years. On September 18, 1860, he was married to Miss Ellen M. Gould, at Minneapolis, and has two children living.


Charles A. Tuller
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

The patronymic of the family of which the subject of this sketch is a member was originally spelled Tullar. The spelling was changed by Artemidorous Tuller, grandfather of Charles, who thought it was easier to write "e" instead of "a." In an old deed, signed by him in 1804, however, he spelled his name "Tullar,"and it is also noted that in an old contract, which was signed in 1826 by two members of the family, this same difference of spelling occurs. Artemidorous Tuller, who was of old New England stock, was a mechanic by profession, and possessed considerable inventive genius. The first crooked ax helve turned out was made by him. His son, Hiram Whiting Tuller, father of Charles A., was born at Lower Sandusky, Ohio, in 1824. When he was but eight years of age the family moved to Jonesville, Michigan. He still resides there, the oldest pioneer living in that locality. In business life he has been quite active, and attained a comfortable affluence as a contractor and builder. During the Civil War he held a clerkship in the war department at Washington, under General Meigs, and also shouldered a musket at the time General Early attempted to take Washington. He has always taken a prominent place in the community in which he lives, and has occupied many township and village offices. He was also a clerk of the state senate in the session of 1865 and 1867. Clara E. Nimocks, his wife, was a native of New York. She was born at Houseville, in Lewis County, November 1, 1827, of English descent. Their son Charles first saw life at Jonesville, Michigan, June 26, 1866. The lad's education was received in the graded and high schools of his native town. He graduated from the latter in his eighteenth year and at once engaged in active business life. The first dollar he earned was by acting as agent for the Detroit Evening New, carrying the papers every morning. He was at the same also working in the postoffice of his native village, holding the position of assistant postmaster. In August, 1885, in response to a telegram from Charles A. Nimocks, then manager of The Minneapolis Journal, he came West to take a position as collector with that paper in Minneapolis. This position he held until January 1, 1889, at which time he was promoted to the position of bookkeeper, to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of the lady who had filled that position. In March, 1890, he was promoted to the position of cashier of The Minneapolis Journal, and still later, in January, 1895, to that of assistant manager. Industry, perseverance and model habits are the qualities which have enabled Mr. Tuller to rise to the responsible position he now fills. He is a conscientious and hard worker, and a shrewd and conservative manager of the responsibilities devolving upon him. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, and is an attendant of the Episcopal church. He was married June 7, 1893, to Mary E. Thompson, of Minneapolis.


James H. Tuttle
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Rev. James H. Tuttle, D. D., was born at Salisbury, Herkimer County, New York, July 27, 1824. In his youth he attended for a while the academy at Fairfield, New York, and afterwards spent two years in Clinton Liberal Institute. Plans were formed for attending Harvard University, but they were carried out. All his life Dr. Tuttle has been a diligent and faithful student and a great traveler. Few men are better informed upon all subjects or can put their knowledge into more attractive form or employ it for more practical purposes. He was brought up in a Baptist family, but when quite young his religious views changed and he became a Universalist. Soon after this change took place he decided to enter the ministry. His first settlement was at Richfield Springs, New York, when he was but twenty years of age. The next one at Fulton, Oswego County, in the same state, where, in 1848, he married Miss Harriet E. Merriman. Of this union two sons were born. The mother died in Dresden, Germany, where she had done, hoping to recover health and strength. Her death occurred in 1873. In 1886 the elder son. James, passed away in his early manhood. He was a man of sterling worth, spotless integrity and great business ability--universally honored. The younger son, George H., is one of the most prominent of the younger surgeons in New York City. The subject of this sketch remained at Fulton until 1853, when he was called to Rochester, New York. The success of his ministry in the two smaller fields he had cultivated, made the larger church, in the more important place, feel sure that he who had been so "faithful over a few things," was qualified for greater responsibilities. These hopes were not in vain. His ministry increased in excellence and power. In 1859 he removed to Chicago, taking the pastorate of the Second Universalist Church, which rapidly grew in numbers and influence under his ministry. In 1866 a few Universalist families in Minneapolis were worshipping in Harrison's Hall, while their first meeting-house was being erected. Dr. Tuttle came up from Chicago to preach before the Universalist convention of the state. The trustees of the new society invited him to bring his family, spend the summer vacation at Minneapolis, and preach for them on Sunday. He came and the summer lengthened into a pastorate of a quarter of a century. "I have had five pastorates in all," he says, "and my last three pastorates cover thirty-eight years. No minister has been more fortunate in the gift of noble, generous parishes. Half a century! What changes have happened during this period! A majority of the word's greatest inventions date within it. Compare our whole country, our Northwest especially, to-day with what they were fifty years ago. What revolutions, and what progress in religious thought have everywhere occured in this space of time!" The Church of the Redeemer grew, under his pastorate, with the growth of the city, from handful of worshippers to a large and powerful congregation. In 1891, having completed his twenty-fifth year of service, he retired from active work, and his associate, Rev. Marion D. Shutter, was chosen pastor. The title of Pastor Emeritus for life was conferred upon Dr. Tuttle. The completion of his twenty-year in the pastorate was publicly celebrated--representatives of all denominations in the city taking part. Dr. Tuttle's life is interwoven with the history of the city. No man stands higher than he in the estimation of the community. He has been prominent in all good works, identified with all charitable and humane enterprises, and always upon the side of rational reforms. His influence has extended far beyond this city, and in neighboring towns and states he has been widely sought for the lectures platform as well as for the pulpit. He is known and loved by people of all religious beliefs and of no religious belief--by all who recognize the supremacy of character.


L. L. Twichell
Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.

L. L. TWICHELL, Fargo, of the ninth legislative district, was born at Hastings, Minn., September 13, 1872. Received his education in the Minneapolis high school, and is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Law .School, 1898. Came to North Dakota in 1882. Engaged in the practice of law since his graduation. Previous to that time was employed fifteen years on Twin City papers. He is unmarried. He was elected representative as a progressive republican.


Treadwell T. Twichell
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson

HON. TREADWELL T. TWICHELL.
This gentleman, whose home is in Durbin township, Cass county, is one of the best-known citizens of his locality and his public spirit and excellence of character have never been called in question. He has aided in the upbuilding and development of the community in which he has resided for over twenty years, and every need has been anticipated by him and relieved by his influence and good work. He is serving as senator from the tenth district, and his efficient labors gain him a high standing among his fellow men. His occupation is that of farming and he is proprietor of a fine estate comprising four sections of land, on which he conducts grain raising with marked success. His portrait in these pages is that of a man capable of much labor and able to sustain heavy responsibilities.

Our subject was born in Dakota county, Minnesota, Hastings being his native town, and his birth is dated November 19, 1864. His parents, Luther L. and Sally A. (Dance) Twichell, were natives, respectively, of New York and Ohio. His father was a merchant and went to Dakota county, Minnesota, in 1855, and followed mercantile pursuits at Hastings until 1876, when he removed to Minneapolis and remained there until his death in 1881. The mother died in 1898. Four sons, two of whom reside in Minneapolis, Minnesota, were born to this worthy couple.

Our subject was reared and educated in Hastings and Minneapolis, completing a high-school education, and in 1879 went to Cass county, but soon returned to Minnesota and in 1881 again went to North Dakota and settled on the land where he now resides. He began at once to improve the farm and has developed four sections of choice land, from which the annual output of grain is sixty thousand bushels. He has been remarkably successful in his farm work and is among the well to-do men of Cass county.

Our subject was married, in 1890, to Grace P. Dill, a native of Wisconsin. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Twichell, as follows: Abagail D. and Daniel H. Mr. Twichell was elected a state representative in 1895 and again in 1897, and in 1898 was elected senator from the tenth district, in which capacity he is now serving. While a member of the senate he was chairman of the appropriation committee and was also a member of the railway committee and as a representative served as chairman of the committee on state affairs and municipal corporations and was acting chairman of the railroad committee when the railroad law was passed. Mr. Twichell is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and in political sentiment is a Republican and an earnest worker for party principles. He has taken an active part in township affairs, assisted in the organization of Durbin township, and has been chairman of the town board for the past ten years. He is a man of broad ideas and good citizenship and well merits his success and popularity.


Charles John Tyron
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Charles John Tryon is a lawyer practicing his profession in Minneapolis. He is descended from old Colonial stock. His father, A. D. Tryon, of Batavia, Genesee County, New York, was in active business as druggist and bookseller in that place for about thirty-five years, and in fairly comfortable circumstances for the greater part of that period. After closing out his business he made Western investments at Spokane Falls, which, however, have not proven very profitable. He was an enthusiastic supporter of Republican principles, being repeatedly chairman of county committees, but has never held any office. He was born in Montgomery County, New York, in 1824, and is still living. His wife, Amanda Hatch Shepard (Tryon) was born in the first log house built in her town in Genesee County, New York, removing to Batavia shortly after marriage. William Tryon, great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born and lived in early life in Connecticut, and was among the New England levies who took part in the campaign ending in Burgoyne's surrender. His son, John Tryon, grandfather of Charles, served in the militia in the war of 1812. They and their ancestors were all farmers living in Connecticut, in the vicinity of Wethersfield, for many generations, being descended from William Tryon who came from England in 1640 and settled in Connecticut. The paternal grandmother of Charles was of pure French blood, of Huguenot stock, her family having settled in Connecticut during the Revolutionary period. The grandfather of the subject of this sketch on his mother's side was a physician and farmer, being one of the first settlers in the western part of Genesee County, New York, having come overland with his wife from Vermont, where both were born. They were connected with the Phelps and Graham families of that state. Charles John Tryon was born at Batavia, Genesee County, New York, September 8, 1859. He was educated at the Batavia Union school, which was then as now under the control of the regents of the University of New York, and which was superior to the ordinary academy of today. He was compelled, however, to leave school at the age of fifteen to aid in support of the family, after the business collapse of 1873. He worked as a clerk in his father's store for four years, when, having procured a clerkship in the first auditor's office in the treasury department, he left for Washington in 1878. He held this position until April 1886, when he came West and located at Minneapolis. He had commenced the study of law before going to Washington, and continued its study while in that city. He received the degree of LL. B. from the law school of the National University, and LL. M. at the Columbian Law School. On his arrival at Minneapolis he entered the law office of Kitchel, Cohen & Shaw. Shortly afterwards he was made examiner for the Minnesota Title Insurance and Trust Company, was soon made assistant counsel, and in October 1892, was made counsel of the company. In the fall of 1895, retaining his position as counsel for the trust company, he opened offices for general law practice, giving special attention, however, to real estate, corporation and insurance law. Mr. Tryon is also a director of and attorney for the Northern Standard Telephone Company. In politics Mr. Tryon has always been a supporter of the Republican party, but has held no political offices. He is a member of the Minneapolis Commercial Club, and of the Plymouth Congregational Church. June 10, 1891, he was married to Miss Isabel Gale, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harlow A. Gale. Mr. and Mrs. Tryon have three children, Frederick Gale. Elizabeth Gale and Phillip Van Dorn.


Charles Edwin Vanderburgh
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Charles Edwin Vanderburgh has had the distinguished honor of having served on the bench in the district court and the supreme court continuously for a period of thirty-four years. His ancestors came from Amsterdam, Holland, and settled in New York more than a generation before the French and Indian war. His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution and removed soon after the war to Saratoga County, New York, where his father, Stephen Vanderburgh, was born in 1800. Charles Edwin was born at Cliffton Park, Saratoga County, New York, December 2, 1829. In 1837 the family located in Onondaga County, in the same state, where Charles Edwin worked on his father's farm during the summer months and attended the district school during the winter until he was fifteen years old, when he prepared for college at Courtland College, Homer, New York. In 1849 he was admitted to the sophomore class at Yale College, and was graduated in the class of 1852. He then became principal of the academy of Oxford, New York, and in connection with his duties as principal too up the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1855, and the next year removed to Minnesota, where in April he located at the then little village at the Falls of St. Anthony. His first employment was in the office of the register of deeds, where he worked about three weeks, earning about forty dollars in preparing the records of the county. He then formed a law partnership with F. R. E. Cornell, which became one of the leading law firms of the new state. In 1859 Mr. Vanderburgh was elected judge of the Fourth judicial district, and held that position for over twenty-two years. He discharged the duties of the office with singular ability and fidelity, a statement which is fully substantiated by his long retention on the bench. His careful legal training, his habits of patience and thorough investigation led him to sound conclusions, and his decisions were very seldom reversed. In 1881 there was a vacancy on the bench of the supreme court of the state, caused by the death of Judge Cornell, and Judge Vanderburgh was chosen to fill it. He served in that capacity with distinction and honor until the end of 1893. In 1860 while judge of the district court, he rendered a decision which brought him into national prominence. A slave woman, Eliza Winston, then owned by Colonel Christmas, of Mississippi, brought to Minneapolis by her master on a visit, was taken before Judge Vanderburgh on a writ of habeas corpus. The judge declared "That slavery was a local institution, and that a slave brought into a free state by its owner became free." He decided that the woman was free to choose whether to remain with her former owners or to leave them. She chose to do the latter, and aided by a party of abolitionists, and in spite protests and an attempt to resort to force, was enabled to make her escape to Canada. In his political associations Judge Vanderburgh, has always been a Republican, but, naturally and properly, by reason of his judicial position, has never been a strong partisan. He is an elder in the First Presbyterian Church of Minneapolis; was for many years superintendent of the Sabbath School, and is active in philanthropic and religious effort. He was married September 2, 1857, at Oxford, New York, to Julia M. Mygatt, daughter of William Mygatt. She died in 1863, leaving two children, William Henry and Julia M. In 1873 Judge Vanderburgh was married to Anna, daughter of John Culbert, of Fulton County, New York. Of his union was born one daughter, Isabella, who died in 1893, a young lady of great promise. Although Judge Vanderburgh has devoted forty busy years of his life to the discharge of public duties of great responsibility and honor, he is till, in 1896, although in his sixty-sixth year, a hale and strong man in the full possession of all his faculties and in the enjoyment of the high esteem and sincere respect of his fellow citizens, who honor him for the service he has rendered.


Charles Alonzo Van Duzee
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Charles Alonzo Van Duzee, of St. Paul, is descended on his father's side from the original settlers of the Hudson River Valley who came from Holland in the Seventeenth century. On his mother's side his ancestors were from Wales, and settled in Eastport, Mine, early in the history of that section. Charles Alonzo is the son of Edward M. Van Duzee, an accountant in good circumstances. Edward M. has as honorable record as a soldier, having served during the entire War of the Rebellion, and having been promoted during his term of office to the command of his regiment as major, the rank which he held when mustered out of service. The subject of this sketch was born at Independence, Iowa, March 10, 1860. After the close of war the family removed to Minnesota and located at Anoka where they remained for two or three years. They then moved to Minneapolis, where Van Duzee senior, was active in organizing and establishing the First Baptist Church. The family remained in Minneapolis until 1875, when they removed to St. Paul. Charles Alonzo began his education in the public school of Anoka and of Minneapolis. He also attended the University of Minnesota, and graduated from the College of Dentistry in June, 1890, at the head of his class, receiving the only prize offered for excellence. His training as a dentist covered a period of nearly five years, first in the office of his preceptor and then three years at the university. After that he taught special branches in the College of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, for two years. Upon graduation the College of Dentistry he established his office in St. Paul, where he has built up a comfortable practice. Dr. Van Duzee has served thirteen years in the National Guard of the state, and now holds the rank of major in the Third infantry. He has been for three years member of the state board of dental examines, of which he is now secretary and treasurer. He was married May 12, 1881, to Miss Fannie J. Parker, of St. Paul. They have a son named Judson P., aged eleven years, and a daughter, Ruth, aged two. Dr. Van Duzee recalls as one of the interesting facts of his boyhood that he earned his first dollar in piling mill wood in Minneapolis.


Charles White Van Tuyl
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

The name at the head of this sketch indicates at once that the subject of it is of Dutch descent. The Van Tuyls were originally natives of Holland, where the name was spelled van Tuyll, and the full family name there at present is van Tuyll van Serooskerken. The family is of Frisian origin, and Tuyll was the name of a small town in that province. The American branch descends from several brothers who came to America about 1720 and has been chiefly farmers. The ancestor of the subject of this sketch settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, where his father, Ebenezer Van Tuyl, was born. Ebenezer has been engaged in railroad business for many years, his present official position being that of manager of the Western Car Service Association at Omaha. He was a soldier in the Union army, Captain of Company G, First New York Infantry, and served in that capacity two years. His service included the Peninsular campaign and he was also at Fortress Monroe during the historic combat between the Monitor and Merrimac. He was wounded and taken prisoner at Chancellorsville, which closed his military career. On his mother's side, Charles Van Tuyl's ancestry is Scotch-Irish. They were early settlers in Central New York and engaged in farming. The subject of this sketch was born December 17, 1859, in Addison, Steuben County, New York. He attended the public schools in Hornellsville, the country district school in Tioga County, and the graded and high schools in Binghamton, all in New York. The Binghamton schools were of high rank and were the most valuable educational facilities which he ever enjoyed. Mr. Van Tuyl's first employment was in the service of the United States Express Company at Binghamton, in 1875. He was afterwards clerk with the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railway at Binghamton, but in March 1882, removed to Omaha, where in the following September he entered the service of the Union Pacific, and was employed in the freight auditor's office. He remained in this office, being promoted step by step to the chief clerk of the claim department, until October 1886, when he was appointed assistant freight claim agent in charge of the territory west of Granger, Wyoming. During this time he resided in Salt Lake City, and continued there until December 1, 1887. Then there occurred one of the periodical changes of management to which the Union Pacific has been subject, and Mr. Van Tuyl's office was abolished with scores of others, and he returned to Omaha and was again employed in the general offices. Subsequently he was again appointed chief clerk in the freight claim department, which position he resigned in December 1892, and engaged in the life insurance business as special agent at Omaha for the Northwestern Mutual of Milwaukee. That position he resigned in October 1893, to come to Minnesota to take the position which he now holds, that of general agent of the State Mutual Life Assurance Company, of Worcester, Massachusetts, at Minneapolis. He has been successful here, as the records of the company's business will show, notwithstanding the business depression. Mr. Van Tuyl contributed an essay in June 1894, on the value of the Life Underwriters Association, to the underwriters national convention at Chicago, and was so fortunate as to secure the prize offered for the best production. The prize consists of a year's custody of the loving cup, which is annually the subject of like contest by the representatives of the local associations of the United States. In the following December Mr. Van Tuyl was elected president of the Minnesota Association and served a year in that capacity, declining reelection on account of the pressure of private business, but has since been elected president of the Minneapolis Association, which position he now holds. He is a Republican in politics. His father voted for Fremont, and was a conductor on the famous underground railroad. Mr. Van Tuyl is a member of the Commercial Club, and of the Westminster Presbyterian church, and is a director in the Y. M. C. A. He was married in September 1889, to Katharine J. Bingham, of Northfield Minnesota. He formed her acquaintance in Salt Lake City, where she was preceptress of the Presbyterian Collegiate Institute. They have three children, Ruth, Hugh Oliver and Ray Whittier.


Olof Julius Veline
[Source: A History of The Swedish-Americans of Minnesota, A. E. Strand, Vol. 3, page 781-782 submitted by Robin Line]
Olof Julius Veline, M. D.-One of the foremost specialists in diseases of the stomach and nervous diseases, Dr. Olof J. Veline, of Minneapolis, has achieved a high standing in the medical profession of the Northwest. Neither has such substantial success been reached by mere intellectual efforts, however strenuous and wisely directed, but his progress has involved physical exertions and hardships of the most trying and forbidding nature-difficulties which to surmount have required real bravery and manly stamina.

The doctor was born in Kylen, Wisseltofta parish, Skane, Sweden, in the year 1868, receiving his earlier education in the common schools of that locality and through the instruction of Rev. Tretow, pastor of the parish. Realizing that his parents could not afford to give him the education which he craved and which would satisfy his ambition, in 1881, when only thirteen years of age, the manly boy emigrated to Germany, determined to earn the money which should allow him to master the branches of higher learning. At first he worked on a dairy farm; then obtained employment in a Mecklenburg hotel and still later became connected with a mercantile house in the city of Bremen. Here it was that young Veline worked, studied and developed into energetic, earnest and studious manhood. The last named trait attracted the attention of the old and eccentric professor and scholar, Dr. Steinhoff, who volunteered to give him instruction in English during the early morning hours. At this stage of his strenuous preparatory period his daily routine was as follows: Before 6 o'clock a. m., sweeping out of the store; 6-7 a.m.-8 p.m., clerical duties; and from 8 o'clock to 10 p.m. night school, with an additional course of private study in his little attic room. Thus, at the age of eighteen he had not only acquired a good elementary education in English and German, but in Latin and French. In 1886, during his stay in Bremen, Germany, Dr. Veline at the risk of his own life swam out in the river Weser and saved a young boy from drowning. For this deed Dr. Veline was accorded the German gold medal for life saving.

In 1887 the future physician located at Stillwater, Minnesota, attending the city high school, teaching classes in German and working at a hotel; and this incessant combination of hard work and earnest mental application he continued throughout his college days, when he took up the study of medicine at the University of Minnesota. Notwithstanding his constitution was such that he was noteworthy for his physical strength and was therefore made sergeant-at-arms of his class, while on the strength of his pen he was elected chief editor of the medical department of the college monthly, The Oracle. After graduating with honors from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, in 1897, Dr. Velin located at Kerkhoven, Minnesota, where he established a fine general practice, and in 1898 was appointed surgeon to the Great Northern Railway. At the convention of the Supreme Lodge of the Swedish United Sons of America, held at Calumet, Michingan, in 1904, he was elected head physician of the order, and has since been reelected four times. He is also medical examiner for the Modern Brotherhood of American, Independent Scandinavian Workmen, German Lutheran Aid Association, the Svithiod, Vasa Orden, and M. W. A. The years 1900 and 1901 Dr. Veline spent in post-graduate studies in Europe, specializing in diseases of the stomach and nervous diseases, and has since achieved marked success in the treatment of these great American maladies. In 1908 the doctor married Miss Hazel Lorene Niedercorn, the talented daughter of M. W. Niedercorn, former mayor of Farmington.
(Photo of O. J. Veline M. D. is on page 780).


John W. Von Nieda
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller

JOHN W. VON NIEDA, a worthy representative of the moneyed interests of Fargo, North Dakota, is now president of the Red River Valley National Bank, one of the most solid financial institutions of the state. It was founded in 1881 with a capital stock of $100,000, and its first officers were L. S. Fallett, president; W. A. Kindred, vice-president and L. W. Fallett, cashier. When L. S. Fallett resigned the presidency in 1891 he was succeeded by J. W. Von Nieda, who had served as vice president for six months previous. Stephen Gardner had succeeded Mr. Kindred as vice-president, and R. S. Lewis had succeeded L. W. Fallett as cashier, but is now serving as vice-president, while J. E. Hyde is the present cashier. The present board of directors consists of the following: W. B. Hancock, R. S. Lewis, James E. Hyde, E. A. Perry, J. E. Montgomery, F. A. Irish, J. H. Lewis and J. W. Von Nieda. They do a general banking business; have over seven hundred thousand dollars in deposits and a surplus of fifty thousand dollars, the largest in the state.

Mr. Von Nieda, of whom a portrait will be found in connection with this sketch, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 3, 1844, a son of George and Elizabeth C. (Carling) Von Nieda, also natives of Pennsylvania. He was reared in his native city and educated in its public schools. At the age of sixteen he commenced clerking in a wholesale store, and later learned the drug trade, which he followed for twenty-two years, twelve years in Pennsylvania and ten years in Fargo, North Dakota. In 1877 he removed to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and for five years represented the firm of Anthony Kelley & Company on the road, traveling all over North Dakota and northern Minnesota, and driving over much of the territory. Coming to Fargo in 1882, he opened a wholesale drug house, and for five years was associated in business with J. B. Raboteau. In 1892 he sold that business and has since given his entire time to his banking interests. He is a wide-awake, energetic business man of keen discrimination and sound judgment.

In Pennsylvania, Mr. Von Nieda was married in 1865, to Miss Florence Hughes, a native of that state, and to them have been born three children: Charles K., Maggie E., and George, now in Ann Arbor, Michigan. During the Civil war Mr. Von Nieda enlisted in Company K, First Philadelphia Gray Reserves, and was in active service about two months. In his political views he is a stanch Democrat, and has taken an active part in the campaigns of this state. Fraternally he is a member of the Mystic Shrine of the Masonic order and the United Commercial Travelers. He is now serving as treasurer of the Abricultural College. In business affairs he has prospered, and fortune has certainly dealt kindly with him. His life is a living illustration of what ability, energy and force of character can accomplish, and the city and state have been enriched by his example. It is to such men that the West owes its prosperity, its rapid progress and advancement.

Hennepin County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails