1869 - BROWNSVILLE AND FREEBURG DIRECTORIES
BROWNSVILLE, Houston County, Minn.
[Source: Commercial Directory of the Western States. 1869.]
BROWNSVILLE is a small yet thriving village, containing five hundred inhabitants. It is situated on the right bank of the Mississippi, fourteen miles east of Caledonia, the county seat, and one hundred and eighty miles from St. Paul. It contains four churches, viz.: Methodist Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran and Catholic, two school houses, fourteen stores, and several manufactories. In 1854 a land office was established at Brownsville, which has since been removed. This is a shipping mart of some importance, it being the landing and depot for an exceedingly fertile and wealthy agricultural district. Charles H. See, postmaster.
BUSINESS DIRECTORY OF BROWNSVILLE
Cusic C. J.
ATTORNEYS AT LAW.
Smith J. H.
Wettenhull G. J.
BEEF AND PORK PACKER.
Cornelly J. B.
BOOKSELLER AND STATIONER.
BOOT AND SHOE MNFRS.
BOOT AND SHOE DEALERS.
Hoffmann & Co.
Gluik & Schartzhoff.
CABINET MNFR. AND DEALER IN FURNITURE.
CARRIAGE AND WAGON MNFRS.
Evans G. O.
CROCKERY, CHINA AND GLASS WARE.
Selfridge H. H.
Smith J. H.
Boylan P. P.
Wettenhull William, American Express Co.
FLOURING AND GRIST MILL.
Darling A. L.
HARDWARE, CUTLER AND METALS.
Anderson A. H.
HARNESS MAKERS AND SADDLERS.
Bennett House, J. R. Bennett, propr.
Selfridge House, G. W. Dibble, propr.
See C. H.
Wettenhull G. J.
JEWELRY, WATCHES AND CLOCKS.
MILLINER AND DRESSMAKER.
Donnelley James Mrs.
Selfridge H. H.
NURSERY AND SEEDMAN.
Fellow S. O.
PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS.
Le Blond J. B.
Wettenhull William, N. W. R. R. Co.
REAL ESTATE LAND AGENT.
SALOONS AND RESTAURANTS.
SALT AGENT AND DEALER.
SASH, BLIND AND DEER MAKER.
SAW MILL, STEAM.
McHose T. Mrs.
SEWING MACHINE AGENTS.
STONE AND BRICK MASON.
FREEBURG, Houston County, Minnesota
[Source: Commercial Directory of the Western States. 1869.]
FREEBURG is a small village, situated on Crooked creek, in Houston cunty, eight miles northwest of Caledonia, the county seat. Michael Manders, postmaster.
BUSINESS DIRECTORY OF FREEBURG.
CARPENTERS AND BUILDERS.
FLOURING AND GRIST MILLS.
Reiter & Streff.
SAW MILL, STEAM.
1878 Business Directory and Gazetteer
In the northeastern part of Houston county, 2 miles south of Mound Prairie, the nearest railway station.
In the southwestern part of Houston county about 6 miles west of Caledonia, the county seat and nearest railroad point.
At the railroad bridge at the Mississippi crossing and junction of the S. M. and C. D. & M. R. R., in the northeastern part of Houston county.
An incorporated village of about 1,000 inhabitants, and a station on the C. D. & M. R. R. in the eastern part of Houston county, fourteen miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 150 miles from St. Paul. A church each of Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans and Catholics, a select German and a public school are institutions of the place. Contains also two steam saw mills, two flouring mills, four hotels and a full assortment of supply stores and mechanic shops. Exports flour and general farm produce. Telegraph, Northwestern. Express, American. Stages to Caledonia daily, and Freeburg weekly. Four mails Saturday; other days, three mails. H. W. Le Blond, postmaster.
Beck J C, wagonmaker.
Boylan P, general store.
Brehme Ferdinand, barber and confectionery.
Brennan Rev W, (Catholic).
Clark C, Saw Mill.
Cluss & Hoegh, hardware.
Corell G, grocery and bakery.
Darling A L, general store.
Feerey M, groceries.
Gilbert A Co, Saw Mill.
Gluck F, hotel and livery.
Graff & Liser, blacksmiths and wagonmakers.
Hanke Julius, flour mill.
Hauber F, tailor.
Hoffman G, boots and shoes.
Jahn Rev J, (lutheran).
Kelley E, groceries.
Knautz A, boots, shoes and haraessmaker.
Larsen & Aslesen, general store.
Lautenslager Mrs M, bakery.
Le Blond J B, druggist and physician.
Lowell T, express agent and commission merchant.
Lyman C E, railroad agent.
McLaren A, agricultural implements.
McMichael A, dealer in produce.
McMichael T, dealer in produce.
Marter R, boot and shoemaker.
Mundt A F, Hotel Propr.
Percival Miss T, millinery.
Post H, dealer in produce.
Powers Mrs C, groceries.
Powers Wm, general store.
Richard E, tailor.
Riley J M, Physician.
Rippe J H, general store.
Roster & McDonald, hotel and livery.
Schaller Bros, flour mill.
Schwartz L, butcher.
Smith John H, Lawyer and Druggist.
Thimmisch P, hotel.
A thriving incorporated village of about 1,200 inhabitants, situated in the central part of Houston county, of which it is the seat of justice. It is 10 miles from Brownsville, on the C. D. & M. R. R., the nearest shipping point, 210 below St.Paul, and about 15 from the Mississippi river. In 1853 the village was first laid out, and has now attained some commercial importance, shipping considerable quantities of wheat, pork, hogs and general produce. It contains a bank, 4 hotels, 5 churches, viz., 2 Catholic, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopalian and a Presbyterian. The educational advantages are the public schools, a private academy, and an institution conducted by the Sisters. Stage communication 3 times a week with Houston and Newburgh, 6 times, with Brownsville and twice with Waukon, Iowa. Mail daily. O. E. Comstock, postmaster.
Abbott Thomas, agt agricultural implements.
Bank of Caledonia.
Beldin J J, hardware, stoves and tin.
Belling A. H, Jeweler and Bookseller.
Bowdish Rev W R, (Methodist).
Castle F, Physician.
Coe C B, drugs, paints and oils.
Dorival E P, agt agricultural implements.
Dunbar W E, insurance agent.
Dunbar W F, general store.
Flynn A J, hardware, stoves and tin.
Gates G L, physician.
Hall Joseph, Jeweler and Bookseller.
Harries W H, lawyer.
Hurd J T, hotel propr.
Kern Joseph, general store.
Koob N, dry goods and groceries.
Kranz John, hotel propr.
Lommen G J, Lawyer.
McKenna Wm, physician.
O'Brien James, lawyer.
O'Connor John, drugs and physician.
Olson & Lommen, general store.
Shanahan Rev P, (Catholic).
Smalley P J, lawyer.
Sprague A D, hardware and agricultural impts.
Sprague Bros & Co, general store.
Steyer Peter, hotel and saloon.
Trask Sheldon, Lawyer.
Trask Eugene, lawyer.
Trask Wyman, lawyer.
Weber Anton, hotel propr.
Weber Nicholas, wagon and sleighmaker.
West William, wagon and sleighmaker.
Wheaton Oliver, lawyer.
Williams S, hotel propr.
Zender Casper, blacksmith and wagonmaker
Zuzeck Rev John, (Catholic).
In the township of Winnebago, in Houston county, on the southern and 10 miles from the eastern line thereof, 12 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and about 130 in a direct line from St. Paul. New Albin, Iowa, is the nearest railroad station. The people sustain a Lutheran and an Evangelical church, and English and German schools. Butter and eggs are articles of exportation. Mail twice a week. C. Bunge jr, postmaster.
Bucholtz H F, general store.
Bunge C Jr, General Store.
Gartner H, boot and shoemaker.
Kruse W, boot and shoemaker.
Laufer C, hotel propr and saloon.
In Crooked Creek township, southeastern part of Houston county, 8 miles from Caledonia, the county seat. Brownsville, 7 miles distant, is the nearest railroad station. Crooked creek runs through the village, and furnishes water power for a flouring and grist mill. A Catholic church and an English and German school are institutions of the village, which embraces 10 houses. Flour is exported. Settled in 1852. Stage to Brownsville once a week. M. L. Roster, postmaster.
Graff & Hurley, flour mill.
Lowell T, express agent.
Lyman C E, railroad agent.
Marquart Peter, general store and agricultural impts.
Noel Paul, wagonmaker and blacksmith.
Roster M L, Hotel Propr.
Welch Thomas, wagonmaker and blacksmith.
A settlement in the northeastern part of Houston county at the Mississippi river railroad crossing, and opposite to La Crosse, Wis. (See La Crescent.)
Houston county, changed to Money Creek.
An incorporated village of about 1,350 inhabitants, and a station on the S. M. Ry, in the southeastern part of Houston county, 14 miles from Caledonia, the county seat. Also located upon Root river where three flouring mills and the railroad machine shop are furnished with water power. The products of the mills constitute the principal shipments of the place. The village contains three churches, viz.: Presbyterian, Methodist and German Methodist; also a graded school of four departments, a Lutheran school and convent, a public library, a weekly newspaper, the Hokah Blade, (Republican), three hotels and numerous stores. Express, American. Telegraph, at the railroad station. Mail, daily east and west. Wm. F. Weber, postmaster.
Bailey M, general store.
Bailey Major H, boots and shoes.
Barnes Mrs I V, millinery.
Belbrood Oliver C, shoemaker.
Bellrude Charles M, House, Sign and Carriage Painter.
Boehm Xavier, baker.
Boycott James, furniture.
Burkhart Julius, restaurant.
Butterfield Edwin, flouring mill, 2 miles west.
Colman Charles L, lumber.
Ducke Frank, harnessmaker.
Fisher Carl, Flouring Mill.
Foley M, ale vaults.
Friedlander Samuel, Agt S M R R and American Express.
Geieszler C Henry, baker.
Geiwitz Jacob, meat market.
Guenther Charles L, blacksmith.
Hanson Bernt, shoemaker.
Hays & Snure, saloon.
Holden Wallace W, physician.
House & Adams, meat market.
House & Groat, Druggists.
House David, real estate.
Jaquis Joseph, wagonmaker.
Joys Carl E, general store.
Keeler Lafayette S, blacksmith and justice of the peace.
Klein John M, Hardware, Groceries and Agricultural Impts.
Lewis & Hohl, insurance.
Lyon A B & L T, general store.
Marsh J Q A, Propr Union House.
Mellon Bernhard, grocer.
Moyer & Sammons, grocers.
Orr Andrew, grocer and shoemaker.
Osborn Mrs A R, milliner.
Shook J, hotel and livery.
Smith Frank J, saloon,
Snure John, city hotel.
Snure Mrs J C, millinery.
Sobek Ferdinand, dry goods and clothing
Steiger Fred, barber.
Stein John C, blacksmith.
Stelzig Joseph, blacksmith.
Stregle John, brewer, 1-1/2 miles northeast.
Thompson Edward, Flouring Mill.
Train H B, physician.
Union House, J Q A Marsh, Propr.
Van Krevelen Dirk, physician.
Wall Samuel W, Pub Hokah Blade.
Weber & Snure, hardware and grocery.
White S C & Co, Flouring Mill.
An incorporated village of 600 souls, and a station of the S. M. Ry., in the township and northwestern part of the county of the same name, distant 6 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 160 by rail from St. Paul. Also located on Root river, which furnishes water power and operates a flouring mill in the place. Contains a church each of Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Catholics and a graded school. Exports, wheat, flour and pork. Was first settled by farmers in 1854; incorporated in 1865. Besides the milling property, has 4 hotels, 10 or 12 stores, several factories and mechanic shops. Telegraphic communication from the railroad station. Express, American. Stages to Caledonia and Sheldon tri-weekly; to Money Creek, Wiscoy, Witoka and Winona, semi-weekly; Yucatan, Preble, and Riceford, weekly. Mail, twice a day. F. N. Goodrich, postmaster.
Abrahamson J, general store.
Barnum A M, blacksmith.
Bauneke J A, miller.
Birdsell William H, hotel propr.
Bjornson P, physician.
Cottrell Howard, hotel propr.
Dyer D C, general store.
Field & Briggs, general store.
Goodrich F W, Stationery, Confectionery and Notions.
Hall L R, general store.
Hallengren C, blacksmith.
Hanson C A, blacksmith.
Hanson M G, wheelwright.
Horner E A, general store.
Howe E B, miller.
Hoy t A, Hotel Propr.
Johnson A P, grocer.
Olson K, grocer and druggist.
Rasmusson C, grocer.
Redding N A, miller.
Reppy A W, express and railroad agent
This village is situated in the northeast corner of Houston county, 1 mile south of La Crescent Junction, the junction of the C. M. & St. P., C. D. & M. and S. M. R. R's. It is also on Pine creek and 1/2 a mile from the Mississippi river, the water power running 2 grist mills and a woolen factory. Exports, wheat, hay and pork. The schools are public and the churches Catholic, Methodist, and Presbyterian. Settled in 1858, it has a population of 700, which will no doubt increase rapidly owing to its present advantages as a business center. Express, American. Telegraph, Western Union. Mail, 3 times daily. Thomas Minshall, postmaster.
Anderson W R, carpenter.
Anstey A A, physician.
Boynton George W, Blacksmith and Wagonmkr.
Brant P, cattle dealer.
Bunce Rev A P, (Methodist).
Bunce Rev E P, (Methodist).
Cameron D J, Flouring Mill.
Day Wm, carpenter.
Denell C C, hotel propr.
Donald George W, constable.
Donald Thomas, meat market.
Farrell J, hotel propr.
Ferguson Peter, General Store and Grain Dealer.
Ferguson R, lumber dealer.
Groff Bros, flouring mill.
Groff T, constable.
Gurley H D, blacksmith and wagonmkr.
Harris J S, nurseryman.
Herdt Chris, boots and shoes.
Keith Solomon, Wagonmaker.
Knapp J A, carpenter.
Kramer J, nurseryman.
Maloy Thomas, carpenter.
Minshall Thomas, Druggist
McCollum George, boots and shoes.
Mumma J T, carpenter.
Sawyer J O, Hotel Propr and Justice of the peace.
Stevenson J, carpenter.
Taylor M M, hotel propr.
Webster M, woolen mills.
Westerwell Rev W G, (Presbyterian).
Wheeler E A, Lumber Dealer.
Williams J M, wagonmaker.
LA CRESCENT JUNCTION.
A small settlement 1 mile north of La Crescent, in the northeastern part of Houston county, and at the junction of the C. D. & M. and C., M. & St. P. railroads.
In the northern part of Houston county. Houston station lies two miles south.
In the northeastern part of Houston county. Mound Prairie, the nearest railroad station, lies three miles south.
In Money Creek township, northwestern part of Houston county, 18 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 120 from St. Paul. Houston, 7 miles off, is the nearest railroad point. It is also located upon the stream called Money creek, whence power is derived for operating a flouring mill. A steam feed mill is also in operation here. Exports, flour, wheat, pork and farm stock. Population about 100. First settled about 1855. A Methodist and a Baptist church and a district school are features of the place. Stage to Houston and Winona twice a week. Mails four times per week. M. Emery, postmaster.
Berry & Bosworth, Flouring Mill.
Brown E L, wagonmaker.
Crandall J C, physician.
De Long J V, mill propr.
Emery M, General Store.
Gates Mrs A J, hotel propr.
Goodwin I H, carpenter.
Sinclair W F, blacksmith.
Washburn S H, Physician.
Wood H, blacksmith.
A station on the S. M. Ry., in the northeastern part of Houston county
A village of 100 inhabitants in the northwestern part of Houston county, 15 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 190 from St. Paul. Houston is the nearest railroad point. Also located on Crystal creek, which furnishes power for driving 2 grist mills. Contains a Lutheran church and district school. Mail stage to Caledonia tri weekly. O. B. Tone, postmaster.
Bagley J M, hotel propr.
Bubey V T, grist mill.
Colt M A, wagonmaker.
Dahl J P, boot and shoemaker.
Dahl & Reierson, Restaurant.
Lynn T M, blacksmith.
Oatman & Luttmore, grist mills.
Olson Stangrim, boot and shoemaker.
Sherwood Daniel A, foundry.
Thompson J W, hotel propr and blacksmith.
Tollefson E L, general store.
Tone & Rank, general store.
In the township of the same name, near the center of Houston county, 8 miles from Caledonia, the county seat. Houston, 8 miles distant is the nearest railroad station. Beaver Creek at this point drives two flouring mills. Exports, flour and wheat Population 50; contains a Presbyterian church and public school. Stage to Houston and Caledonia twice a day. Tri-weekly mail. Lorenzo Curry, postmaster.
Brask Rev Iohn, Presbyterian.
Breneman George, blacksmith.
Curry L, druggist.
Fulmer E, boots and shoes, justice of the peace.
Hemberg Martin, hotel propr.
Ness B C, boots and shoes.
Schneider Joseph, miller.
Sweet J & Co, blacksmiths.
Webster E E, justice of the peace.
Williams J B, general store.
SOUTHERN MINNESOTA JUNCTION.
A settlement in the northeastern part of Houston county, at the intersection of the S. M. and C., D, & M. railroads.
A station on the C., M, & St. P. Ry., in the southeast corner of Houston county.
An incorporated village of 200 inhabitants, in the township of the same name, southwestern part of Houston county, 10 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 140 from St. Paul. Shipments are made via Houston or Brownsville. Contains a Lutheran church and graded school. Stage to Caledonia every other day. Niles Olsen, postmaster.
A postoffice in township of same name, near the center of Houston county, six miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and about 125 miles from St. Paul in a direct line. Hokah is the nearest railroad station. Churches, Lutheran German Reformed, Methodist Episcopal, and Christian. District schools. Mail once a week. Edmund Neill, postmaster.
In the southwestern part of Houston county, 11 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, and 150 from St. Paul. New Albin, Ia., is the nearest railroad station. Contains a Methodist church and district school. Mail 4 times per week. R. E. Shumway, postmaster.
Albee J W, eclectic physician.
In the southeasteern part of houston county, 10 miles from Caledonia, the county seat, about 150 miles from St. Paul. New Albin, Iowa, is the nearest railroad point. It is located upon WInnebago creek, from which power is obtained for driving two flouring mills. Exports, flour and wheat. Contains a Methodist church and district school., Stage to New ALbin, Iowa, and mail semi-weekly. E. Stevens, postmaster.
Barber T B, general store and propr of flouring mill.
Johnson & Olander, proprs flouring mill.
Kemp Matthias, blacksmith.
In the northern central part of Houston county, three miles northeast of Houston on the S. M. Ry.
An incorporated city of about 1,000 inhabitants in the township of Yucatan,western part of Houston county, about 12 miles from Caledonia the county seat, and 150 from St. Paul. Contains Baptist, Presbyterian and Catholic churches, and a graded school. Exports wheat and pork. Houston, 7 miles distant, is the nearest railroad point. Telegraph, Western Union. Express, American. Stage to Riceford, Caledonia and Houston. Mail semi-weekly. F. J. Wilsey, postmaster.
Amidon W M, principal of High School.
Carrier I, saddlery and harness.
Caswell Rev Wm, (Presbyterian).
Cody John, druggist.
Colby Rev U S, (Catholic).
Comstock Clark, miller.
Comstock G E, express agent.
Comstock J W, propr American House.
Corrier Harrison, general store.
Farley James, railroad agt.
Hardin Rev George, (Baptist).
Hughes Lewis, billiard hall.
Jones Thomas E, flour and feed.
Kelley James jr, lawyer.
Kelley Joseph, restaurant.
McGaffey Oliver, physician.
Morgan G E, tobacco and saloon.
Sanders Henry, baker.
Thomas Gilbert, physician.
Thompson Edward, veterinary surgeon.
West George, dry goods and groceries (whol).
Wheaton P J, boot and shoemaker.
Wilsey Charles, propr Union House.
Source: Minnesota, North and South Dakota and Montana Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1878. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.