Finding Ancestors wherever 

their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Isanti County, Minnesota

 


Biographies

Henry Baker
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore 

BAKER Henry Freeman, Cambridge. Lawyer, county atty. Born May 8, 1850 in Naples Me, son of John and Catherine (Larrabee) Barker. Married Nov 27, 1879 to Margaret C Byers. Educated in common schools; North Bridgton Academy; Westbrook (Me) Seminary; graduated from Albany N Y Law School A B 1875. Taught school; clerked in store and studied law 1868-75; admitted to bar in Maine and commenced practice 1875; moved to Minn 1876; taught school one year; supt of schools Mille Lacs county 1877; commenced practice of law in Minn 1877; moved to Cambridge 1878; elected county atty Isanti county 1878; re-elected seven times since; treas of school dist of Cambridge Village 21 years; served in legislature 4 years in House and 8 years in Senate; pres of the Cambridge Milling Co and Cambridge Starch Co. Has served in council of Village of Cambridge several terms. Member State and American Bar assns; Sons of American Revolution and I O O F.


Henry F. Barker
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Hon. Henry F. Barker was born in the town of Naples, Cumberland county, Maine, in 1850, and now lives in Cambridge, Isanti county, Minnesota, where he is widely known and respected both for his sterling manhood and manifest ability. Maine has sent a host of sturdy and upright men to settle in Minnesota, and Mr. Barker is a worthy representative of the very best. He comes of Yankee stock, and his father, John Barker, was a life-long farmer, and his grandfather, Asa Barker, served in the war of the Revolution, being present on the battle-field of Saratoga. The maternal great-grandfather of Henry F. Barker was Isaac Larrabee, who was also a soldier for the American colonists, having served with distinction on many a hard-fought Revolutionary field of strife. He was at Bunker Hill, in the very beginning of the war, and bore his part throughout that momentous struggle.

Henry F. Barker is the third member of his father's family of children, and was reared and educated in Maine, where he attended the local schools and Bridgeton and Westbrook Academies. There was much hard farm work to be done, and the youth of Mr. Barker was a busy and industrious one. Selecting the law for his vocation, he read and studied at Albany, New York, where in 1874 and in 1875 he took a law course, and where he was admitted to the New York bar in 1875. After securing his admission to the profession he came back to his native state to enter upon the practice of his profession. In company with A. F. Burnham, he opened an office at Ellsworth, where he remained until the month of December, 1876, when he broke up and came west to Minnesota, whither so many of his state's people had already gone and had done so well. For a time after his arrival in the state he taught school at Princeton, and also engaged in the practice of his profession with his brother, Judge A. P. Barker, who had first come to the state in 1868. Judge A. P. Barker died in 1883, and our subject and his brother, Dr. G. A. Barker, of Menominee, Wisconsin, are the only surviving members of the family.

Mr. Barker located at Cambridge in the summer of 1878, the county being sparsely settled at that time. In July, 1878, he opened an office in the new and struggling village of Cambridge, and has been continuously engaged in the practice of his profession in this county for the last twenty-three years. In that time he has built up a large and extensive business, not only in the law, but quite as largely in real estate. He has handled Isanti county wild lands, farms and town lots, and is still doing much work in that line.

Mr. Barker was married in 1879 to Miss Margaret C. Byers. She was born at Princeton, where her father, Samuel Byers, is a general merchant and an extensive farmer. In his early days he was a teacher and a carpenter. To this union has come a family of children as follows: Minerva, who is in the junior year at Carlton College; Ethel and Ruth, who are in the Academy at Carlton College; Blaine and Henry, at home.

Mr. Barker is a Republican, and was elected as county attorney in 1878, a position which he held for fourteen years, being elected seven times. In 1882 he was sent to the state legislature, and again in 1886. In 1898 he was elected as a member of the senate of the state. He is the first senator from Isanti county. For twenty-one years he served as treasurer of the school board of Cambridge, and at different times has been a member of the village board, in which he has acted several times as president of the board.

Mr. Barker is president of the Cambridge Milling Company, and also of the Cambridge Starch Company. He is president of the Cambridge Commercial Club, and was one of the strongest supporters of the Cambridge Milling Company and the starch plant, watching the slow growth of these two important enterprises with an anxious eye. In 1893, there was organized the Cambridge, Minneapolis & Duluth Railway Company to promote the building of a railroad between these two important points that should touch at Cambridge. Surveys were made in its behalf. A second railway company was also projected, running from Minneapolis into Isanti county, of which W. D. Washburn was president and Mr. Barker a director. Mr. Barker was indefatigable in his efforts to secure railway connection for Cambridge with the outward world, and success finally crowned his efforts.

Mr. Barker is a Republican, and has attended every national convention of his party since 1876. In 1900 he was a delegate to the Philadelphia convention.


Theodore Blomgren
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Theodore Blomgren, a young and enterprising farmer of Isanti county, Minnesota, whose handsome and well kept place is near Cambridge, was born on a farm in this county, and is a son of the Andrew Blomgren who was a farmer and a preacher all his life. The father came to Isanti county in 1868, and was the pioneer Baptist preacher in the county. He took a homestead farm and helped to organize the first Baptist church in this community, as well as the others that followed. At first he lived in a log house, 8 x 12 feet, and for ten years did all his work with oxen, including the hauling of supplies from Anoka, thirty-two miles away.

Andrew Blomgren was born in Sweden, where he was reared and educated as a farmer, and followed farming in his earlier manhood, but as he was of a deep religions nature he began to preach in 1872, and continued to preach and farm for the next ten years. Since 1882 he has been exclusively engaged in the work of the ministry.

Theodore Blomgren is the oldest member in a family of four children, who were reared and educated on the farm. He took a business course at the Northwestern College of Duluth, and began for himself when only sixteen years old. For ten years he was a clerk for Goulberg & Anderson, developing so much clerical ability and manly character that the Republicans took him up and elected him county auditor in 1900, and he is now serving his first term in that capacity.

Mr. Blomgren was married, in the fall of 1900, to Miss Adlaide Hallin, born in Cambridge, in 1874, and a daughter of Olle A. Hallin, a druggist in Cambridge. Mr. Blomgren is a Republican, and has been a trustee of the village for two years. He is highly respected by all who know him, and his upright and honorable career has still much promise in it.

His was a boyhood of romance and adventure, and Mr. Blomgren early learned, self reliance. Around the home of his boyhood stretched the thick forest, full of game, and the streams that coursed the valleys were abounding in fish. The first grain his father harvested was two acres of wheat, which yielded thirty bushels, and was threshed with a thresher made by his father and a neighbor. The father began raising stock in about 1874, and now owns a well cultivated farm of one hundred and ten acres, with over fifty acres under the plow. For six years the elder Blomgren was town treasurer, and for some years has taken much interest in county politics. At the present time he is pastor of the Baptist church in Dalbo.


C. E. Caine
Source: The Princeton Union (MN) Oct. 1, 1896; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

CAINE IS SUCCESSFUL.
The illustrated edition of the Grant County Herald contains an excellent likeness of C. E. Caine, now practicing medicine there and the cut is accompanied by this text: "We desire to here make mention of Dr. C. E. Caine, a physician and surgeon, young in years, but exceptionally skilled and very successful in his short period of practice. Dr. Caine was born May 25, 1868, at Spencer Brook, Isanti county, and received his preliminary education in the public schools of Minnesota and New York. For several years he taught in the common and graded schools of this State and in 1892 began the study of medicine with O. C. Tarbox, M. D., of Princeton, having determined to acquire the profession of medicine and surgery. He subsequently took three years' course in the medical department of the State University, and after his graduation located at Elbow Lake, June 11, 1896. Dr. Caine is a son of Hon. T. H. Caine, a prominent Isanti county business man and politician, who was treasurer of Isanti county for six years and representative of Isanti, Anoka and Hennepin counties in the State legislature for three consecutive terms. In his brief residence and practice here, Dr. Caine has met with most gratifying success, both in patronage and in the care of his patients."


David Marston Clough
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

David Marston Clough, governor of Minnesota, furnishes a conspicuous example of the self-made man. Born of humble parentage and spending his youth in comparative poverty, contending with the obstacles of life on the frontier, and without the aid of influential friends, he has achieved the position of highest honor in the state of his adoption. He was the son of Elbridge G. and Sarah Brown (Clough), of Lyme, Grafton county, New Hampshire. He was the fourth in a family of fourteen children, ten of whom grew to maturity. He was born December 27, 1846, at Lyme, New Hampshire, and when he was nine years old his family moved to Waupaca, Wisconsin, arriving there on the fourth of July, 1857: Within the next year they removed to Spencer Brook, Isanti County, Minnesota, a little settlement on the extreme frontier in the lumbering region of Rum River. His father took a claim, a cabin was built, a clearing made in the timber and the farm started. In addition to work done on the farm, father and sons engaged in the lumbering business in the employ of companies then operating in that region. There was no school to attend and the educational facilities of which David was able to avail himself were of the most limited kind. At sixteen he drove an ox team in the woods and at seventeen went on the logging drive and earned a man's wages. Subsequently he was employed at the saw mills in Minneapolis in the summer and continued to work either for his father, or for wages for his father's benefit until he was twenty. At this age it was his father's custom to give his boys their time, having no other endowment to bestow. David then engaged himself by the month with H. F. Brown, a lumberman, and continued for four years in his employment, doing all kinds of work involved in the lumber business. After leaving Mr. Brown he and his brother Gilbert engaged in the lumbering business for themselves. They lived at Spencer Brook and took contracts for cutting and hauling logs in the adjacent pineries. This they continued for two years, when, in 1862, they removed to this city. They continued in the logging business for several years and then commenced the manufacture of lumber, first hiring their logs sawed and later building a mill of their own. Clough Brothers eventually became one of the substantial lumber firms of Minneapolis, owning their own timber, manufacturing it and cutting it, their annual output in later years averaging fifteen million feet. Gilbert Clough died six years ago, since which time David has continued the business alone. He also became president of the Bank of Minneapolis. Although his father died years ago, Mr. Clough has retained the homestead in Isanti County, and added to it until it now embraces six hundred and forty acres of land, on which Mr. Clough has a fine herd of thoroughbred Short Horn Cattle, and his interest in agriculture and stock raising was recognized in 1892 by his election to the office of president of the State Agricultural Society. To him belongs the credit at the close of his administration of turning over the society to his successor free of debt, the first time in its history. Mr. Clough has been active in local and state politics, having served the Second ward of Minneapolis as a member of the council from 1885 to 1888. In the second year of his service he was made president of the council. At this time he was also elected to represent East Minneapolis, Isanti and Anoka counties in the state senate, his term of office of four years expiring in 1890. What is known as "the patrol limits system," a rule which confines the saloons to the business center of the city, received Mr. Clough's support in the legislature and in the council, and to him credit is given for having defeated an attempt in the legislature of grant to the council the power of discontinuing or altering this system. Mr. Clough was a member of the state Republican central committee for four years, and in 1892 was nominated by the Republicans for lieutenant governor and was elected. He was re-nominated in 1894 and re-elected, and upon the election of Knute Nelson to the United States senate in 1895 he succeeded him in the office of governor. He was nominated by the Republicans in 1896 to succeed himself and was elected. When the court house and city hall commission was organized in Minneapolis, Mr. Clough was made a member of that commission, and for a time was its president. His family are identified with the First Congregational Church of Minneapolis, of which society Mr. Clough was for many years trustee. He belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has taken thirty-two degrees. Mr. Clough was married April 4, 1867, to Addie Barton, at Spencer Brook, Minnesota. He has one daughter, Nina, the wife of R. H. Hartley, of Minneapolis.


Hans Engberg
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Hans Engberg, who was born on a farm in the parish of Hassala, in the village of Beckarang, in the province of Helsingland, Sweden, in 1853, by his thrift, industry and judicious investments has made himself one of the leading financiers and business men of Cambridge and Isanti county, being regarded as one of the leading men of his nationality in the state.

The home in which Hans Engberg was reared in Sweden was as that which a business man might establish for himself and family, where high moral character, deep religious feeling and a high mentality had sway. His father, Per Jouson, was for a time a merchant and afterwards a farmer, also taking a lively interest in Christianity, and being among the first dissenters from the state church, whose determined action during the last generation caused so much discussion.

Hans Engberg is the youngest member of a family of five children, reared and educated in the old Swedish home. When he was sixteen he left his native country, and came to North America, landing at Quebec, and arriving in Minnesota in 1869, settling first at Chisago Lake, where he remained six months, and then attended public school at Osceola, Wisconsin, and in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he had all the English schooling that he felt able to secure in this country. He made his own way through school and gradually became competent in business. ln 1874 he took a position in a general store in Isanti as clerk, which he held, however, but a brief time, as the same year he went into business for himself in Cambridge, in company with M. Smith, the two conducting a general store. Cambridge at that time was but a small town, and consisted of two general stores, a saloon, two small hotels, a grist-mill and about half a dozen poor dwelling houses. The town, however, had a future and the business that carne to the partners, though small, was profitable. He and his brother bought out the old store at Isanti in 1875, and engaged in mercantile and lumbering operations.

Mr. Engberg was elected county auditor in 1875, and was retained in this position, being reelected four times. In 1892, in company with H. A. Gouldberg, D. O. Anderson, Charles Keith and Swan S. Peterson, he organized the Isanti County Bank, which was opened for business October 2, 1892, and was the first in the county to begin business. Mr. Engberg is cashier, Mr. Peterson is president and Mr. Anderson, vice-president. Mr. Engberg is in general charge of the bank, which does a general and prosperous banking business. Mr. Engberg deals quite extensively in real estate.

Mr. Engberg was married in 1884, to Miss Nancy Ann Peterson, who died in 1897, leaving five children: Aurelia Elvira, Edith Marcella, Adae Walace, Rhoda and Nancy-all born in Isanti county. Mr. Engberg was again married in the latter part of 1898, to Miss Emma J. Hogdahl, who was born in Sweden, by whom he has one child.

Mr . Engberg is an independent voter, with leanings towards the Republican party, though for a few years past he has supported the local Prohibition candidates. Mr. Engberg is one of the earliest settlers in this part of the state, and brought a few hundred dollars with him, which was partly used for educational purposes, and he has built up his present comfortable competence from nothing but his own hard work and good common sense.


Eben F. Gillispie
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Eben F. Gillispie, a young business man of Cambridge, Isanti county, has already won more than a local reputation for his character and ability, and is widely known as a pushing and energetic character, well worthy of confidence and respect.

Mr. Gillispie was born in Anoka, Minnesota, May 21, 1868, and was reared on a farm after the fashion that obtained in Minnesota at that early day. His parents were of Scotch descent, coming to this country from the North of Ireland, and exhibiting the best traits of their sturdy race and blood. George C. Gillispie, the father of Eben F., was a farmer, and came to this country shortly after his marriage, making the outward voyage from his native land in 1854, and settling in St. Paul. He made his advent in Anoka county when it was a wilderness, and is remembered among the very early settlers of that rich and populous county.

Eben F. Gillispie was the third member of a family of six children born to his parents, and was reared on the farm, obtaining his education in the log cabin school houses common to the time. There was no lack of farm work for him to do at a very early age. The ox-teams were to be driven and his was a busy youth. When he reached the age of seventeen years young Gillispie left home to care for himself, first becoming a clerk in a store in Anoka, and then a railroad hand. For five years he followed lumbering, spending the winter season in the woods, and taking a full share in the hard work of a lumber camp.

In the spring of 1900 Mr. Gillispie, then a stout and nervy lad of twenty-two years, took the contract for carrying the mail from Anoka to Cambridge, and he carried the first daily mail between those two points. He also ran a stage line on his mail route, and made many friends among the traveling public, a fact that stood him in good hand when he opened up a hotel a little later. In 1893 he started a livery barn in Cambridge, being the first to be established there, but meeting a considerable patronage from the first, showing that the need of it had already been felt before its establishment. In the spring of 1901 he sold out this livery interest.

In the spring of 1889 Mr. Gillispie had built a large brick hotel, forty-four by ninety-four feet and, three stories high. It was the best building in the town and contained accommodations for some seventy-five guests. It was known on the road as the best hotel between Minneapolis and Duluth, and was provided with all the modem improvements. It was totally destroyed by fire on the night of July 18, 1901, the flames bursting out at two o'clock in the morning. In the spring of 1901 Mr. Gillispie, in company with J. A. Stoneberg, bought the harness shop in Cambridge, of which they are the present proprietors, and in which they are doing a very successful business.

Mr. Gillispie was married in 1894 to Carrie Rathjens. She was born at Valparaiso, Indiana, and comes of German blood, her parents having both been born in Germany. Her father was a farmer. In the Gillispie family are three children: Maggie, who is six years old; George, who is three years, and Helen, who is six months. Mr. Gillispie is a Republican, and was elected county sheriff in 1900. He takes an active interest in county politics, and his influence is a powerful factor in the results of the election. He is highly thought of throughout the county, and what he wishes has great weight.


Andrew Larson
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Andrew Larson, a well-known resident of Mora, Kanabec county, Minnesota, was born in Orsa, a town in the northern part of Sweden, in 1853. His parents came to America twelve years later and made their home in Isanti county, Minnesota. He was the second member of a family of six children, and had his schooling in Isanti county, attending a public school held in a log house. He worked hard at home and when he was seventeen years of age struck out for himself, working at first in the woods and on the log drives, at various times acting as cook for the camp. For eight years he was employed in the lumbering business the most of the time in Kanabec county. In the fall of 1884 he did contract work, and was engaged quite extensively in logging operations. The same year he was elected treasurer of Kanabec county, and such was the satisfaction with which his services were received that he was re-elected five times, holding the office continuously until 1896. He is a Republican and commands the confidence of the community to a marked degree.

Mr. Larson was married, in the fall of 1887, to Miss Sophia Rist, a native of Sweden. She came to this country with her parents in 1870. They settled first in Iowa, and later moved to Minnesota. She was reared in Kanabec county, where she secured a very good education and for five years before her marriage taught school in the county. To their union were born two children, both in Mora, Birdie and Beatrice.

Mr. Larson, in company with Fred Scott, formed a partnership, and started in the mercantile business, but the first year they were together they did more of a commission trade than anything, buying and selling farm produce. This partnership came to an end in September, 1900. In the meantime they had built, in the spring of 1897, a store building, 32x44 feet, on Union street in Mora, in which they handled boots and shoes, groceries and clothing. When Mr. Larson bought out Mr. Scott he concluded to keep the business in his own hands, which he has done to the present time, with very satisfactory results to his trade. His trade is as large as any man has won in the county, and he has secured it by his industry, accommodation and strict integrity. July 31, 1901, Mr. Larson suffered a total loss of store and contents by fire, and has since erected a new store building and has it completely stocked with new goods.

Mr. Larson is a Republican and was village recorder for two years. He is now a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, of which he has been recorder for a year and a half.

Mr. Larson is among the earliest settlers of Kanabec county, and when he first came into the county was employed on the Staples & Bean farm. He was in this county when Mora was not even thought of, and has rendered very substantial help in the upbuilding of Kanabec county, and he has travelled and tramped over the most of it.


Mudgett
The Princeton Union (Princeton, MN) Thursday, March 16, 1905; submitted by Jim Dezotell

Wyanett
Mrs. F. Mudgett and children left for Oregon, Thursday to join her husband. They will make their future home at Oregon City. The best wishes of her many friends follow her.


Albert Norelius
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Albert Norelius, a young and energetic business man of Cambridge, Isanti county, Minnesota, is a native of the county in which he is now living, and was born on a farm in Isanti township, in 1865.

Peter Norelius, the father of Albert, was born in Sweden, where he was bred to a farming life, and came to Minnesota about 1854. He filed on government land in Chisago county, but did not prove upon it. After having been settled there about two years he then secured a claim of one hundred and sixty acres in Isanti county. He then went to Goodhue county, where he remained two years, making the removal to that county by ox teams. On his farm he put up a log shanty 16 by 20 feet, with a birch bark roof. For years Anoka was the nearest railroad point, and from it all their supplies were hauled by oxen.

Albert Norelius was born and reared on the frontier, and his family did not have horses until he was about thirteen years old. There was much hard work to be done, but the frontier afforded rare pleasures for a sound and healthy lad. His education was obtained in a log cabin schoolhouse. His father was postmaster at Isanti postoffice from 1865 to 1888, and was also justice for a number of years, receiving much help from his son Albert in opening and developing his farm property.

Albert Norelius remained at home until 1886, when he started out for himself, going into the lumber woods, and following lumbering for two or three winters. He made several trips into Dakota, and from 1890 until 1896, was engaged in, farming in lsanti township, making his home with his parents during that time. In 1896 he was elected register of deeds for Isanti county on the Republican ticket, now holding this position for the third term, being elected the second and third times without opposition. In 1896 was one of three candidates for the office. Mr. Norelius still owns his farm, which consists of ninety acres about a mile and a half north of Isanti, and which has about thirty acres under the plow. Mr. Norelius takes a very active interest in the workings of his party organization, and has attended various county and congressional conventions as a delegate.

The mother of Mr. Norelius died in 1896, and his father is still living on the old homestead in Isanti county. Four of his sons live in lsanti county, and one in Wisconsin.


William W. Shulean
Source: History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, 1904. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

William W. Shulean, of Isanti, Isanti county, Minnesota, is a striking and impressive representative of Minnesota brawn and muscle, having been born in Chisago county in 1859, on a farm in the timbered wilderness. His father, who was a farmer, was born in Sweden, and came to Minnesota in 1849, settling on a farm in Chisago county three years later. The country was so new and his means so limited that he and his neighbors made the journeys from Taylor's Falls into Chisago county on foot, and brought their supplies on their backs. After securing his land he put up his home, a log shanty, 20x24 feet. In this humble home William W. first saw the light. The elder Shulean owned the only plow in the settlement at one time. For a number of years he spent his time improving his land, as well as rafting, being foreman for a rafting company at Taylor's Falls. In 1860 the family settled at Isanti, where land was bought and farming resumed on a larger scale. Here the family prospered and soon owned farm stock, as well as many conveniences and necessities of life. In those days more Indians than white people were in the neighborhood and the first playmates that young William W. had were Indian papooses. From them he learned the Chippewa tongue.

William W. Shulean was early inured to a life of toil, and when he was seven years of age He attended the log cabin school of his early day, and at the early age of fourteen struck out for himself. For several years he worked on the farm for such men as would give him employment. His mother died when he was twelve years old, and her death broke up the family. When William W. was seventeen years of age he went into the lumber country, but after a year resumed farm work, being in the employ of C. W. Shatto, of Minneapolis, who was opening a large farm located at Milbank, South Dakota, after which he was engaged with the McCormick Harvesting Company four seasons in different parts of the northern states. At the time the Shatto farm was opened the nearest railway station was fifty miles away. In 1881 he began clerking for a merchant in Millbank, and was then employed for the McCormicks, as noted above. He traveled for them throughout Minnesota, Dakota, Michigan and Wisconsin as well as in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee. These were valuable years to Mr. Shulean, not only because of the money he earned, but because of the wide information he acquired and of the valuable ideas and experiences that came to him. He thinks he gained more education in those years than in all the rest of his life taken together.

At North Branch, Minnesota, Mr. Shulean sold farm machinery and also rendered assistance in an insurance and loan office. There he was taken sick, and for two years was unable to do any active work. The year 1888 found him at his old home in Isanti county, poor in health and purse alike. That year, however, he was elected county auditor, and in 1890 again elected to the same position. In 1892 his health would not permit him to take a third term. For a number of years he did no active work beyond a little clerking and bookkeeping. In the fall of 1899 he was named cashier of the Bank of Isanti, which was established that year by F. F. Murray, of North Branch. This was converted into a state bank in June, 1901, Mr. Shulean being still its cashier. It transacts a general banking business, as well as loans and insurance, and is the third bank established in the county, being the first to be incorporated.

Mr. Shulean is a Republican, and is a justice of peace in the town. He has passed through many varied experiences, and is a man much esteemed in the community in which his honorable and useful career is being run.


HOME
Genealogy 

Trails

© Copyright by Genealogy Trails