Charles E. Aiken
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of Northern Minnesota, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., Publishers, Engravers, and Book Manufactures, 1902, page 223; submitted by Robin Line
Charles E. Aiken, assistant cashier of the Lumbermen's Bank, of Grand Rapids, Minnesota, enjoys the confidence of his fellowmen to an unusual degree. He is a man of excellent character and marked business ability and is widely known as a citizen of sterling worth.
Mr. Aiken was born in Decorah, Winneshiek county, Iowa, November 23, 1863. His father, Asher A. Aiken, was a manufacturer of woolen goods in Decorah and was proprietor of the Trout Run Woolen Mills. He was from old American stock and was born in Ohio. The mother of our subject, Mary (McCollouch) Aiken, was born in Wisconsin and was of Scotch descent. Of a family of six children, Charles E. Aiken was the fourth in order of birth. He was raised in the city and attended the public schools, and at the age of twelve years started for himself as a chore boy in a livery barn in Decorah. The family had moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but he remained in Decorah about three years thereafter and then went to Brookings, South Dakota, where he worked about two years at the tinner's trade. He then did railroad work on the Chicago & North Western Railroad as a trainman about seven years. About 1884 he engaged in the grocery business in Brookings and continued there about a year and a half, when he was appointed assistant postmaster under Cleveland and after two years in that capacity was appointed postmaster, to succeed C. W. Hastings, resigned. He held the position until 1893 and then served until 1895 as, assistant postmaster. Owing to political preferences his successor was talked of in 1892, but a petition begging his nonremoval was circulated and received the signature of every voter in the city. This was presented to President Harrison by Hon. G. A. Matthews and he was not removed at the time, but finally political power prevailed and his successor was appointed. He removed to Grand Rapids, Minnesota, in 1895, and was appointed assistant cashier of the Lumbermen's Bank of that city, with C. W. Hastings, president, and F. P. Sheldon, cashier which office he now fills in a most satisfactory manner.
Mr. Aiken was married in December, 1884, to Miss Luella Hastings. Mrs. Aiken was born at Owatonna, Minnesota, and her father, Charles W. Hastings, was a money loaner and real estate dealer, and a man of wealth and prominent in financial circles. Her parents were from New York state. Mrs. Aiken was raised in Owatonna, Minnesota, and attended the public schools there. Mr. and Mrs. Aiken are the parents of the following children: Edith, Jesse, Leilea, Marie, Wallace M. and Walter. Mr. Aiken was elected village treasurer in 1899 and re-elected in 1900, and in 1901 was re-elected re-elected without opposition, receiving every vote cast for village treasurer, attesting his popularity and faithful discharge of his duties. Politically he is a Republican. He is a musician of some note and at the age of sixteen years became a member of Brookings Cornet Band. He was soon given the leading cornet part and played with that organization for some years and was the mainstay of the band, and with the organization visited the World's Fair at Chicago, in 1893. They also went to the Yellowstone, National Park with the editors of the South Dakota Editorial Association.
William Alexander Aitkin
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 6
AITKIN, WILLIAM ALEXANDER, a Scotch trader, b. about 1787; d. at Swan River, Minn., in 1851. He came to this region when a boy of fifteen; became an Indian trader, and had charge of the Fond du Lac department of the American Fur Company, with headquarters at Sandy Lake. Aitkin county and town are named for him.
John L. Barnard
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., page 151; submitted by Robin Line
John L. Barnard, a well known citizen of Grand Rapids, Minnesota, has resided there for some years and is given a prominent place as a man of enterprising spirit and good citizenship. He is a probate judge of Grand Rapids, and also justice of the peace.
Mr. Barnard was born at Oldtown, Maine, October 2, 1835. His father, Timothy Barnard, was born in New Hampshire, and was a lumberman, and the grandfather of our subject, Tristran Barnard, served in the Revolutionary war. The mother of our subject, Olive M. (Lougee) Barnard,was born in Ware, New Hampshire, and was of old Yankee stock. Her father served in the Revolutionary war.
John L. Barnard was the sixth in a family of eight children. He was raised in the village of Oldtown, where the family located about 1830. He was educated in the common schools and went into the lumber woods at the age of fourteen years and followed that business until he left Maine in 1855. He then went to Saginaw, Michigan, and engaged in the lumber business there with his brother, Newell Barnard. The partnership continued until the death of his brother in 1883. They engaged in logging and owned a sawmill and were also interested in the salt business and did an extensive business. After the death of his brother Mr. Barnard moved to Sioux City, Iowa, where he visited two years, his son, C. E. Barnard, being in business there, and our subject's wife was in ill health. In 1892 they removed to Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and Mr. Barnard entered the employ of the Itasca Lumber Company and was with that company six years, in charge of the gangs and looking after their interests largely. In 1899 he was elected justice of the peace in Grand Rapids and re-elected in the spring of 1900 and is now serving his second term in that office. He was elected probate judge in the fall of 1900, which office he is now filling faithfully and to the satisfaction of the community in which he makes his home.
Mr. Barnard was married in 1864 to Miss Amy E. Grover. Mrs. Barnard was born in Detroit, Michigan. Her father, James H. Grover, was a country officer for many years there, and conducted several business enterprises and was among the prominent businessmen of Detroit. Mrs. Barnard is of old American stock and her people came from New York,. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Barnard namely: C. E., who is engaged in the boot and shoe business at Sioux City, Iowa; and Grace, who resides at home and is attending school. Mr. Barnard has led an active business career and has prospered through his industry and business ability. He is an interested worker for the advancement of his community, and is prominent in local affairs. Politically he is a Republican and attends numerous conventions of his party.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore
BARZEN Mathias, Thief River Falls. Miller. Born Jan 1864 in Germany, son of Sebastian and Catherine Barzen. Married June 14, 1900 to Anna Schlosser. Educated in Germany. Located in Mich until 1891; moved to Grand Rapids Minn and later to Thief River Falls in 1895; engaged in milling business as member of Hanson & Barzen 1898; incorporated 1904 as Hanson & Barzen Milling Co of which he is pres. V pres First State Bank. Member Commercial Club and Catholic Order of Foresters.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore
BATES Marcus Whitman, Duluth. Res 319 E 4th st, office 4-5 Exchange bldg. Commission merchant. Born April 26, 1840 in Chester Ohio, son of Abner Curtis and Laura W (Baker) Bates. Married April 9, 1861 to Mary E Bisbee. Educated in common schools Chester and Cleveland O and Excelsior Minn Academy. Employed with Bassett & Co lumber Minneapolis 1857-58; enlisted in Grand Rapids in 21st Mich Inf and served in Civil War 1862-65; returned to Grand Rapids and organized Grand Rapids Savings Bank 1871; cashr of same until 1876; established and was sec of Grandville Plaster Co Grand Rapids from 1876; moved to Duluth and engaged in whol commission business 1891 to date; sec Northern Land & Lumber Co. Member G A R and Loyal Legion.
Leon Maynard Bolter
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill
BOLTER Leon Maynard, Grand Rapids. Banker. Born Jan 28, 1874 in South Amherst Mass, son of Edward G and Hattie E (Nutting) Bolter. Married Oct 1898 to Roxana Helgaard. Educated in common and high schools South Amherst and Amherst Mass. Moved to Cloquet 1894 and engaged as clk for Prince, Sheldon & Co bankers until 1896 when the business was incorporated as Merchants Bank of Cloquet of which he was cashr until 1898; name changed to First National Bank in which he remained in same capacity until 1900; dist mngr Equitable Life Assurance Society Duluth 1900-1902; moved to Grand Rapids and organized First State Bank of which he is cashr; v pres First State Bank Bovey Minn.
John A. Dodson
Source: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 – tr. By Sandra Stutzman
JOHN A. DODSON is one of the younger business men of Republic, and has shown himself genial, upright, and obliging, and is of good standing in the community. He was born in Sedgwick county, Kansas, on March 6, 1876, being the son of Charles F. and Elizabeth (Fry) Dodson, natives of the Shenandoah valley, Virginia, who came to Kansas in early days and now reside in Sedgwick City. They are the parents of seven children, William, Thomas R., Edward I., Ella E., John A., Cora, and Bertha M. Our subject was educated in his native place, and at the age of fifteen, started in life for himself. After working two years on a farm, he went to Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and there learned the barber business in the employ of his brother Thomas R. In 1896, he came to British Columbia, and worked at his trade for two years, then he came down to Republic and opened an establishment, which he has operated since that time. Mr. Dodson owns a comfortable residence, his shop, and other town property. He does a good business, and has prospered since coming to Republic.
On September 20, 1900, Mr. Dodson married Miss Lulu M. D., daughter of George and Sarah (Prouty) Staves, natives of Iowa. The father has lived in nearly all the western states, and was in Stevens county in the ‘sixties, returning again to the east. In 1890, he came to Stevens county again, and is now living just east of Colville. Mrs. Dodson has three sisters, Grace O., Lillian E., and Nora F. The ancestors of our subject and his wife are prominent and well-to-do people. Politically, Mr. Dodson is liberal, and fraternally, he is affiliated with the Eagles.
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler
DUMAS Dominique, Superior Wis. Office Deer River Minn. Manufacturer. Born Aug 1, 1848 in Canada, son of Abraham and Apoline (Tierno) Dumas. Twice married: 1886 to Disanna Ducett; 1896 to Annie P Hanson. Engaged in farming and fishing in Canada; contr in clearing lands and logging in Wisconsin 6 years; in gen merchandise business Canada until 1890; moved to Duluth and engaged in lumber business; moved to Deer River in same business; formed Dumas-Backus Lumber Co 1904, of which he has been pres to date.
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Nancy Overlander
Gilbert George C, Cass Lake. Physician (R) and surgeon. Born April 11, 1850 in Oneida county New York, son of John H and Sarah (Smith) Gilbert. Educaed in Rome N Y Academy; Cazenovia (N Y) Seminary; and graduated from St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons 1883. Engaged in practice of his profession in St Louis 2 years; Pittsburg Kan 10 years; Duluth Minn 5 years; Grand Rapids Minn 6 years; and Cass Lake 1905 to date. Member Am Medical Assn; Minn State, and St Louis Count Medical societies; B P O E; K of P; M W A; A O U W; Maccabees; M O of F; I O F. Resident surgeon of G N Ry and St Michael’s Hospital.
F. Delmont Humphrey, M. D.
“A History of the State of Oklahoma” by Luther B. Hill – Vol. II – Published 1910. Transcribed by D. Donlon
He is a well known and highly esteemed physician and surgeon of Oklahoma, one who has attained distinction and wide-spread celebrity for his skill and research. He was born in Minnesota, but was reared in Illinois, for his father was a Baptist minister and filled pulpits in various states of the northwest. The son received an excellent literary education, and his professional studies were first pursued in the medical department of the Iowa University at Iowa City, from which he graduated in 1891 as a homeopath. During several years thereafter he was engaged in practice at Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, where he served as chief surgeon for the Riverview Hospital, and he also spent several years in post-graduate work, particularly in surgery, in various hospitals and polyclinics in Chicago, New York and Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland. While in Glasglow he received his most valuable experience in surgery from the greatest specialists connected with the Western Infirmary of that city.
Returning to the United States Dr. Humphrey was for some time attached to the Cook County Hospital in surgical work. In 1905 he came from Grand Rapids to the city of Oklahoma, locating permanently in this city as a specialist in surgery, particularly in female surgery, in which he has achieved distinguished success and a high place in the profession. Much of his work is done in connection with the various hospitals. Although a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, his education, experience and practice embrace both schools.
Edward C. Kiley
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse
From his early youth Mr. Kiley has been connected with the newspaper business. He has had to rely upon his own efforts from his thirteenth year, and is now the editor and proprietor of the Herald-Review at Grand Rapids, one of the best newspaper plants in Northern Minnesota. He is also judge of probate of Itasca County. He is of Irish parentage, and was born February 28, 1865, at Poughkeepsie, New York, the son of James and Agnes (McNulty) Kiley. When he was but two years of age his parents came West and settled on a farm in Grant County, Wisconsin. The father's death occurred in February, 1878; the mother's a year and a half earlier. The farm property was left encumbered, and after settlement had been made there was nothing left for the support of seven orphans--six daughters and the subject of this sketch. Edward worked for a few months after the death of his father, on the farm of an uncle, and the first money he ever earned was in the employ of Redman Gordan, a farmer, at six dollars a month and board. He then went to Lancaster, Wisconsin, and attended the winter term of school. After having earned a living as best he could until May, 1880 young Kiley went into the office of the Odebolt Observer, at Odebolt, Iowa, and commenced to learn the printing trade. That he was especially adapted to newspaper work is attested by the fact that two years later, when but seventeen years old, he was offered and accepted the position of editor and manager of the McCook County News, at Salem, South Dakota, a Democratic paper having considerable influence. From Salem, Mr. Kiley removed to Northwood, North Dakota, where he purchased the Headlight. He was appointed postmaster of Northwood by President Cleveland, but there being little opportunity to build up a business in that town, he went to Grafton, North Dakota, where he purchased the Grafton Herald. He conducted this paper for a time, when he sold out, and for the next two years traveled extensively throughout the United States, doing reportorial work on various metropolitan papers, and at intervals worked at the printing trade. In 1890 he purchased the Progressive Age, at Duluth, a Democratic paper devoted to the interests of the laboring classes. He spent the following year in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where he was married at Marquette, July 30, 1892, to Mrs. Wilhelmina Desjardins Yates, daughter of Dr. J. A. Desjardins, a prominent physician of that place. In January, 1893 Mr. Kiley located at Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and assumed the management of a local paper. On September 15, 1894, he established the Grand Rapids Herald. The outlook for the success of his new venture did not appear inviting, as two papers already occupied the field. But with careful and painstaking work he endeavored to outrank his competitors by publishing a bright, attractive and aggressive country weekly. In May, 1896, he purchased the Review, and consolidated the two papers. In politics Mr. Kiley has always been a Democrat, and is an ardent advocate of free silver. In 1896 he was unanimously tendered, by the legislative conventions of the Democrats and Populists, a nomination to the house or senate, but declined. Instead, however, he accepted the Democratic and Populist nominations for judge of probate of Itasca County, and was elected, being the only free silver Democrat elected in the county. He is a member of the Democratic state central committee, and chairman of the Itasca county committee. Mr. Kiley has achieved considerable popularity in his home district, though a comparatively young man as yet, but the enterprise and business ability which he has exhibited in the management of his paper promises still greater success for him in the future.
Pearl D. Winship
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks Minnesota 1907, R.L. Polk & Co. St. Paul, MN; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
WINSHIP Pearl D, Grand Rapids. Physician (R) and surgeon. Born May 23, 1841 in Princeton Ill, son of Ralph and Lucetta (Cooley) Winship. Married Sept 5, 1886 to V Florence Deeter. Received common school education and graduated Keokuk Ill 1878. Learned printer's trade and became half owner of Bureau County (Ill) Tribune 1872; sold out 1874 and began study of medicine; graduated 1878; practiced in Marshalltown 1878-87; established drug store at Park Rapids Minn 1887; sold out 1893 and continued practice of medicine exclusively. Surgeon G N Ry 1892-97; author Soil Map Hubbard county; enlisted 1861 12th Ill Regt; re-enlisted 1865 in 148th Ill Inf; discharged 1865 at close of war; surgeon and major 1st Iowa N G 1880-85; mayor Park Rapids Minn 1906; reelected 1907; state inspector contagious diseases; county physician Hubbard county; health officer Park Rapids 10 years; sec Board U S Pension Examiners. Member Park Rapids Commercial Club, Pres Park Rapids Park Board; Territorial Pioneer 1855. Greatly interested in archeology and has one of the largest private collections in Minnesota of prehistoric implements.
Itasca County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails