Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., page 556-557; submitted by Robin Line
Nels Bangson was born on a farm in Sweden 1863, and is now one of the leading men of Ogelvie, Kanabec county, Minnesota. His father was a farmer in Sweden and in his early manhood served in the national army. In 1890 he came to American and make his home in Ogelvie.
Nels Bangson is the second member of a family of three children born to his parents, and was reared and educated in Sweden, where before he was twenty years old he entered the Swedish army, and completed a term of three years. In 1886 he sought a home in the United States, landing in New York, and making his way to Big Lake, Sherburn county, where he made a brief stop, and then took a place with the Great Northern Railway, working out from Fergus Falls and Elk River, doing section work for about two and a half years. In 1889 he was made a foreman and put in charge of the section at Ogelvie, there being only a siding here at the time. Since that day he has seen the wilderness grow into a settled and orderly community, in the development of which he has done his full share.
In 1894 Mr. Bangson bought four hundred acres of land at five dollars an acre of good meadow land, and at the present time has about twenty-four acres under the plow. His land is all fenced, and he has buildings on two different farms. On the home farm is a house 28x32 feet, a story and a half high, and a kitchen 16x23 feet, and is regarded as one of the best residences in Ogelvie. This is on a forty-acre tract adjoining the town. Mr. Bangson has bought and sold farm lands quite extensively.
Mr. Bangson was married in 1887 to Betsy Oleson. She was born in Sweden, and came to this country in 1886. Her father was a blacksmith all his life, and died in Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Bangson have two children, Ella and Ellsworth B.
Mr. Bangson in a Republican, and has been town treasurer two terms, and is also treasurer of the school district. He has taken an active part in local affairs, and was instrumental in starting the first school.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of Central and Northern Minnesota, 1904] mkk
Andrew Larson, a well-known resident of Mora, Kanabec county, Minnesota, was born in Orsa, a town in the northern part of Sweden, in 1853. His parents came to America twelve years later and made their home in Isanti county, Minnesota. He was the second member of a family of six children, and had his schooling in Isanti county, attending a public school held in a log house. He worked hard at home and when he was seventeen years of age struck out for himself, working at first in the woods and on the log drives, at various times acting as cook for the camp. For eight years he was employed in the lumbering business the most of the time in Kanabec county. In the fall of 1884 he did contract work, and was engaged quite extensively in logging operations. The same year he was elected treasurer of Kanabec county, and such was the satisfaction with which his services were received that he was re-elected five times, holding the office continuously until 1896. He is a Republican and commands the confidence of the community to a marked degree.
Mr. Larson was married, in the fall of 1887, to Miss Sophia Rist, a native of Sweden. She came to this country with her parents in 1870. They settled first in Iowa, and later moved to Minnesota. She was reared in Kanabec county, where she secured a very good education and for five years before her marriage taught school in the county. To their union were born two children, both in Mora, Birdie and Beatrice.
Mr. Larson, in company with Fred Scott, formed a partnership, and started in the mercantile business, but the first year they were together they did more of a commission trade than anything, buying and selling farm produce. This partnership came to an end in September, 1900. In the meantime they had built, in the spring of 1897, a store building, 32x44 feet, on Union street in Mora, in which they handled boots and shoes, groceries and clothing. When Mr. Larson bought out Mr. Scott he concluded to keep the business in his own hands, which he has done to the present time, with very satisfactory results to his trade. His trade is as large as any man has won in the county, and he has secured‘ it by his industry, accommodation and strict integrity. July 31, 1901, Mr. Larson suffered a total loss of store and contents by fire, and has since erected a new store building and has it completely stocked with new goods.
Mr. Larson is a Republican and was village recorder for two years. He is now a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, of which he has been recorder for a year and a half.
Mr. Larson is among the earliest settlers of Kanabec county, and when he first came into the county was employed on the Staples & Bean farm. He was in this county when Mora was not even thought of, and has rendered very substantial help in the upbuilding of Kanabec county, and he has travelled and tramped over the most of it.
George Henry Newbert
The Book of Minnesotans - A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men of the State of Minnesota
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis (Chicago – 1907) submitted by Jim Dezotall
Newbert, George Henry, banking; born at Bethel, Minn., July 27, 1872; son of Henry and Augusta Newbert; educated in common schools at Princeton, Minn. Began active career at 17 years of age as teller and bookkeeper of the First National Bank of Princeton, 1889; moved to Mora, Minn., 1894, and organized the Kanabec County Bank, now the First National Bank, and has acted as its cashier since the organization; director of the Sandstone State Bank and the Times Printing and Publishing Co.; member Mora board of education; village treasurer. Republican. Member Masonic order, Shrine, I.O.O.F., Knights of Pythias, A.O.U.W.M.W.A. Married, Sept. 1903, to Miss Juanita Thompson, of Erhard, Minn. Club: Commercial (Minneapolis) Address: Mora, Minn.