Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Kandiyohi County, MN


Biographies

Hans H. Aaker
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 1

AAKER, HANS H., educator, b. in Ridgeway, Iowa, April 16, 1862; came to Minnesota in 1883 to teach at Willmar. After 1894 he was principal of Concordia College, Moorhead.


Louis C. Almen
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 11

ALMEN, LOUIS C, Lutheran clergyman, b. in Sweden, March 30, 1846; came to the United States in 1870; was graduated at Augustana College in 1876; was ordained to the ministry, and three years later settled
in Minnesota; resided in New London, Kandiyohi county, after 1879.


Louis G. Almen
Source: History of the Scandinavians and Successful Scandinavians in the United States, Volumes I & II (1900) submitted by cd

Almen, Louis G., clergyman-Balaton-born 30 March, 1846, in Tosso, Dalsland, Sweden. At the age of twenty-four he emigrated to this country; worked at first as a common laborer; was a railroad contractor in Minnesota and Wisconsin for a couple of years; and after having attended Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill., for three years, he graduated from the theological department of this institution in 1876. His first charge was at Beaver, Iroquois county, Ill.; but after having remained there for about three years, he became for one year a traveling missionary in Yellow Medicine and Lac qui Parle counties, Minnesota; then accepted a call to New London, and settled at his present place in 1893. For over twelve years he was editor of the church and temperance departments of Skaffaren-the semi-official organ of the Swedish Lutheran Minnesota Conference. For a long time he has been the most ardent temperance advocate of any of the ministers of his denomination in the state of Minnesota, and is one of the ablest parliamentarians in the conference. Almen was married to Alice C. Johnson in 1876; they have several children living.


Elias Anderson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ANDERSON Elias L, Minneapolis. Res 2102 Hennepin av, office 1301 N E Tyler st. Manufacturer. Born July 1, 1870 in Dassel Minn, son of Peter Anderson. Married June 25, 1901 to Rose A Hawkins. Educated in common schools. Moved to Atwater Minn 1878; farmed until 1887; moved to Minneapolis 1887 and attended Minneapolis Academy; employed by Crown Iron Works as bkpr 1889; in 1897 became interested in company; was elected treas and has continued in same office to date.


Frank Archibald
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ARCHIBALD Frank M, Breckenridge. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Dec 6, 1865 in Ill, son of Lyman and Phylindia (Burroughs) Archibald. Married in 1896 to Josephine W Bailey. Graduated from Coll of Physicians and Surgeons 1893. Has been engaged in practice of his profession in Gibbon Minn 1893-94; Atwater Minn 1895-1906; Breckenridge 1906 to date. Member American Medical Assn Minn State & Crow River Valley Medical societies; Masonic fraternity, I O O F and B P O E.


John W. Arctander
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

John W. Arctander is a native of Stockholm, Sweden, where he was born in 1849. On his father's side he is descended from one of Norway's oldest families, prominent for several hundred years in Norwegian history, while on his mother's side he is closely related to the Nobels, of St. Petersburg and Paris, who are the petroleum kings of Europe, and, perhaps, next to the Rothschilds, the wealthiest family in the world. Mr. Arctander graduated with first honors from the Royal University of Norway in 1867. He had already gained a considerable name by his contributions to Norwegian literature, and after his graduation he became associated with the celebrated Norwegian poet, Bjornstierne Bjornson in journalistic enterprises and occupied a prominent position in the newspaper world of Norway. He was very radical in his political tendencies and the vigorous expression of his views soon brought him into conflict with the authorities so that in 1870 he became a political exile from his own country. Naturally the great republic of America attracted him and became his adopted country. From 1870 to 1874 he was connected with Norwegian papers in Chicago and New York, but during this time simultaneously pursued the study of law. In 1874 he came to Minnesota and shortly afterwards was admitted to practice as an attorney. He first settled in Minneapolis, but two years later moved to Willmar and for ten years devoted himself mainly to criminal practice. He built up quite a reputation in the western part of the state as a criminal lawyer, and in 1880 was by Governor Pillsbury appointed district attorney of the Twelfth judicial district, especially created by the legislature, and afterwards was elected to the position by the people. While for four years prior to this only one person had been convicted of crime in the entire district. Mr. Arctander during the first year of his incumbency of the office of district attorney sent forty criminals to the state prison. Terror reigned among the criminal classes which had infested the border counties of the state and the effect was wholesome and gratifying. In 1881 he was engaged as counsel for the defense in the impeachment trial of Hon. E. St. Julien Cox, and added considerable to his reputation by the able manner in which he presented the cause of his client. In 1885 Mr. Arctander was made a member of the commission which drafted the present penal code of the state of Minnesota, the commission having the satisfaction of seeing their work adopted by the legislature without a single amendment. In 1886 Mr. Arctander removed to Minneapolis where he has since occupied a prominent place among the members of the bar. In 1875 he wrote a practical hand book of the laws of Minnesota in the Norwegian language, which had a large sale. In 1895 he published a new edition in the same language and re-wrote it in Swedish. In 1803 he translated into English Henry Ibsen's '"The Master Guilder." Mr. Arctander has also indulged in his taste for literature in numerous contributions to periodical publications, and it is understood that he has in preparation a work somewhat more ambitious than anything he has yet published, but is not yet ready to announce it.

Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ARCTANDER John W, Minneapolis. Res 3447 S Lyndale av, office 913 N Y Life bldg. Lawyer. Born Oct 2, 1849 in Stockholm Sweden, son of August H and Caroline (Ahlsell) Arctander. Married May 17, 1877 to Maratina Anderson. Attended the College of Skein Norway 1857-67; the Royal Univ of Norway 1867-70; graduating M A Ph B; degree of LL D from St John Univ Collegeville Minn. Has been in gen practice of law; up to 1888 made specialty of criminal law; since 1888 specialty of corporation law and negligence cases; county atty Kandiyohi county Minn 1877-79; dist atty 12th dist 1880-86; member of commission for drafting penal code of state with Atty Gen Hahn and Judge Egan of St Paul. Author of "Practical Handbook on Laws of Minn" in Norwegian and Swedish languages; translator into English of Hendrik Ibsen's drama "The Master Builder."


Berton J. Branton
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill

BRANTON Berton J, Atwater. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Sept 20, 1883 in Willmar Minn, son of J Franklin and Alice (Thompson) Branton. Married July 11, 1906 to Alice A Brown. Educated in common schools Willmar Minn: graduated medical dept U of M, M D 1905. Since engaged in practice of his profession in Atwater. Member Atwater Commercial Club, Kandiyohi Swift County, Crow Wing and Minn State Medical societies and American Medical Assn.


Peter Broberg
Source: Illustrated Album of Biography of the Famous Valley of the Red River, 1889, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

PETER BROBERG is a member of the firm of Swenson & Broberg, of New London, Minnesota, one of the most extensive, solid and substantial business houses in Kandiyohi county. They carry a heavy stock of general merchandise, and are also engaged in the milling, lumber and machinery business. Mr. Broberg, of whom our present article will treat, is one of the pioneers of this part of Minnesota and is one of the survivors of the terrible Sioux Indian outbreak of 1862. A detailed history of all his experiences, adventures and hardships during pioneer days and Indian times would almost fill a volume of itself, and would be too long for insertion in this work, but we have gathered the most prominent facts in Mr. Broberg‘s history, and give the most important movements in which he has participated.

Mr. Broberg was born near Vargarda, in Sweden, on the 17th of December, 1854, and is a son of Daniel P. and Annastina Broberg, who were also natives of Sweden. The parents had a family of three children - Peter, Alfred and Albert. On the 28th of April, 1861, the whole family left their native land and sailed for the New World, landing at Quebec, Canada, on the 19th of June. They at once came to Minnesota, landing at Carver, in Carver county, on the 1st day of July. A few days later they started for what was known as the New Sweden settlement in Swift county, Minnesota, arriving there July 15, 1861. The father, D. P. Broberg, and his brother, Andrew, bought soldiers' script and each located on a quarter section of land. Here they at once erected cabins, began improvements and engaged in farming. Everything moved along in a prosperous and uneventful manner until August, 1862, when the Sioux Indians began their outbreak, killing defenseless men, women and children, and burning and destroying as they went. The little settlement at New Sweden consisted of thirty souls and little did they dream of the danger so near at hand. On the fatal 20th day of August, 1862, the Broberg families (D. P. Broberg and wife and three children, and Andrew B. Broberg and wife and four children), together with the Lundberg family and others, had gone to a neighbor's, two and a half miles distant, to attend a religious meeting. Our subject, Peter Broberg, and his two brothers and two cousins remained at home to care for the stock, etc. About noon twenty-five or thirty Indians, in war paint, surrounded the cabin. They entered the house, and the children, as usual, treated them to bread and provisions. Peter Broberg escaped from the house and ran to the meeting, where he gave the alarm. The services were at once adjourned, and the settlers started for home. The Broberg party, together with Lars Lundberg, started for home with their ox team. They met the Indians, and when near the house they gave the preconcerted signal and the horrible butchery began. Mr. Lundberg was in the rear with a gun, and he escaped and rescued a child. Those killed were D. P. Broberg and wife and two children; Andrew B. Broberg, his wife and three children. Our subject, Peter Broberg, jumped from the wagon at the first attack and escaped, running down a hill and disappearing in the tall grass of a slough. He continued his flight until he came to the house of a neighbor, where he took refuge. The Indians continued their murderous work and began plundering and burning and finally made an attack on the neighbor’s house. The family and Peter Broberg hid in the cellar, their hiding place being concealed by a neatly fitting trap door. The Indians destroyed the furniture and then left. About midnight the fugitives escaped from the house and spent the remainder of the night in a thicket. Finally Even Railson, now a. prominent farmer of Norway Lake township Kandiyohi county, assisted them, and they were conducted to a place of safety. Lundberg said he was fired at fifteen times but escaped unhurt.

The general history of the outbreak will be found in another department of this ALBUM, so it is unnecessary to refer to it further in this connection. The Indians were finally subdued and peace was again restored on the border. Mainly through the efforts of our subject, Peter Broberg, an appropriation was made at the last session of the legislature for the purpose of erecting a monument to the memory of the victims of the New Sweden massacre, so that their martyrdom will be commemorated in a fitting manner.

In 1877 Peter Broberg located at the village of New London, Minnesota, where he has since remained. He is one of the leading business men of that locality, and stands high as an exemplary citizen. He served for some time as town clerk, and has always taken an active part in matters affecting the welfare of that locality. He is a republican in political matters, and a member of the Lutheran church.

Mr. Broberg was married December 31, 1878, to Christine Larson and they are the parents of three children - Ella, Martha and Elmer P.


Calvin Luther Brown
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Calvin Luther Brown - The Sixteenth Judicial District of Minnesota has as its judicial officer a man who grew up and received his education and legal training within the state. Judge C. L. Brown, of Morris, presides over the district composed of the counties of Stevens, Grant, Big Stone, Traverse, Pope and Wilkin. Born in the town of Goshen, New Hampshire, April 26, 1854, he came to this state with his parents when only about a year old. His father was Judge John H. Brown, who located at Shakopee in June 1855. He was admitted to the bar at Chaska in 1856, and continued the practice of his profession until 1875, when he was appointed judge of the Twelfth Judicial District by Governor Davis. He continued in that office without opposition until his death in 1890. Judge John H. Brown was a prominent Mason, having held the office of grand master of the state and grand high priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter. He was a judge of unimpeachable integrity and administered the duties of his office with conscientious fidelity. His wife's maiden name was Orrisa Margaret Maxfield. This family of Browns were descended from John Brown who came to this country from England in the ship Lion in 1632 and settled at Marlborough, Massachusetts. William Brown, the great-great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, served as a private in the Revolutionary War. He enlisted at the age of sixteen from the town of Henniker, New Hampshire, in 1781, and served in Col. Henry Dearborn's regiment of the New Hampshire Continental line. He was placed on the pension rolls in 1818, and lived until 1855, when he died at the age of ninety years. An uncle of Calvin Luther, Hon. L. M. Brown, late of Shakopee, Minnesota, was also a prominent member of the legal profession in this state, and was at one time judge of the Eighth Judicial District. Judge C. L. Brown was educated in the common schools of Minnesota. He resided at Shakopee until 1871, when his parents removed with his parents removed to Willmar. In 1878, having pursued the study of law with his father, and having been admitted to the bar, he left home at the age of twenty-two and located at Morris. He has resided there ever since. He has held numerous positions of trust, was elected to the office of county attorney of Stevens County in 1882, and continued in that office until he was appointed to the bench in 1887. In that year the Sixteenth district was created and Mr. Brown was appointed judge by Governor McGill, and has been twice elected to the same office without opposition. He is now serving his second elective term. Judge Brown has always been identified with the Republican party, but since taking his position on the bench, has given no personal attention to political matters. He is also a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, having been grand master of the state in 1894 and 1895. He belongs to the Minneapolis Consistory Scottish Rite Masonry, Zuhrah Temple, Mystic Shrine, Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. He also belongs to the Minnesota Society Sons of the American Revolution, of which he is at present a member of the board of directors. He attends, but is not a member, of the Congregational church. Was married in 1879, at Willmar, to Miss Annette Marlow. They have had four children, Olive Lottie (deceased), Alice A., Montreville J. and Edna M.


Benjamin Castberg
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

CASTBERG Benjamin, Detroit. Lawyer. Born Feb 27, 1871 in Brevig Norway, son of John C t and Hanna (Ebbesen) Castberg. Graduated from Royal Gymnasium 1886; attended Royal Univ Christiania 1 year; graduated from law dept U of M 1897; studied law at office of John W Arctander while attending college. Practiced law in Willmar Minn 1898-1904; in Detroit Minn 1904 to date.


Thrond Egge
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks
EGGE Thrond S, Moorhead. Physician (R). Born Feb 15, 1859 in Norway, son of Swen T and Rogna Egge. Married Oct 12, 1901 to Petra Anderson. Educated in public schools and private academy in Valders Norway; Willmar (Minn) Seminary; graduated from medical dept U of M 1893; studied in Univ of Berlin 1897 and 1900; and N Y Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital 1896. Taught Norwegian and English school 1882-88; engaged in practice of his profession in Moorehead to date. Director First State Bank and Moorehead B & L Assn; coroner of Clay county 6 years; member American Medical Assn, Minn State and Clay-Becker County Medical societies; A O U W and M W A.


John O. Erickson
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP
John O. Erickson was born in town of Lake Lillian, Kandiyohi county, Feb. 7, 1874. His parents were Ole Erickson, born Jan. 9, 1846, and Brita Ersdotter, born Dec. 12, 1841, both natives of Gagnef parish, Dalarne, Sweden. Paternal grandparents, Jans Erik Johnson and Brita Ersdotter; maternal grandparents, Berg Erik Johnson and Brita Persdotter. Ole Erickson and family came to this country in 1872 and settled on a farm in town of Lake Lillian, where John Erickson was born and grew to manhood. He attended the common schools and afterwards studied for some time in the Willmar Seminary. After finishing his education he, in partnership with his brothers Erick and Albert, rented his father's farm, which they are still operating. The farm is in sections 16 and 17, Lake Lillian, and comprises 440 acres of land. It has a large residence and good farm buildings. The farm is sixteen miles from Willmar and thirteen miles from Olivia. It is on the Svea free delivery route, and is connected with the Kandiyohi telephone lines.

Brothers and sisters of John O. Erickson: Erick, born Aug. 20, 1869; Annie, born Aug. 10, 1871, now Mrs. Aaron Erickson of Kenmare, N. D.; Alfred, born Nov. 29, 1875, now living in Minneapolis; Hilma, born May 31, 1877, died March 21, 1894; Albert, born March 5, 1881.


Lars Erickson
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP

Lars Erickson was born in Mockfjard, Dalarne, Sweden, Nov. 20, 1869. His parents were Erik Erickson, born Feb. 4, 1837, and Christine Persdotter, born march 27, 1838. The family came to America in 1883 and settled on a farm in town of Lake Lillian, where the mother still lives. The father died Feb. 2, 1902. Lars Erickson grew up on that farm, getting a common school education. He continued to assist with the farm work until in the spring of 1900, when he formed a partnership with Mr. Richardson of Bird Island and started a small general merchandise store near the Lake Lillian creamery. The next year Mr. Erickson bought out his partner's share in the business and has since that time conducted it himself, with good success. He was appointed postmaster at Lake Lillian, July 31, 1901, and still holds the position. Mr. Erickson is married to Christine Anderson. She was born in Lake Lillian, Oct. 20, 1879. Her parents were Peter Anderson, born in Gagnef, Dalarne, Sweden, Oct. 21, 1843, and Christina Erickson, born Dec. 9, 1842. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Erickson - Albin and Robert.


Walter Foland
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FOLAND Walter Alphonzo, Benson. Lawyer and editor. Born Mar 12 1846 in Dayton O, son of Solomon and Sarah Belle (Francisco) Foland. Married July 26, 1876 to Laura A Woodburn. Attended Terre Haute (Ind) High School; graduated from Ind State Univ 1870; law dept same LL B 1873. Moved to Willmar Minn and engaged in practice of law 1874 to date; county atty Kandiyohi county 1875; moved to Benson and practiced law 1876 to date; editor and publisher Benson Times 1885 to date, under firm name of Foland & McCune. Republican presidential elector 1888.


Gudbrand T. Hagen
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos

HAGEN Gudbrand T, Crookston. Editor and publisher. Born March 20, 1864 in Norway, son of Torsten Torstenson and Ingelborg (Olson) Hagen. Educated in public schools of Norway and evening schools; attended school in Mayville N D and Willmar (Minn) Seminary and Institute. Engaged as photographer 8 years in N D and Minn; founded Scandinavian paper at Elbow lake; sold out and purchased the Banneret a weekly at Holton N D; changed name of paper to Vesterheimen and published 1 year; in Mayville 4 years; moved to Crookston and has published Crookston Press 1897 to date. Member Minn Editorial Assn and I O G M.


A. M. Hedin
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP
A. M. HEDIN A. M. Hedin was born in Dalarne, Sweden, Feb. 13, 1861. His parents were Mathias Hedin, born in Dalarne, Sept. 25, 1825, and Christina Hanson, born in the same province July 28, 1831. Paternal grandparents, A. E. and Anna Hemmingson; maternal grandparents, Hans and Christina Hanson. Hedin lived in Mockfjard, Dalarne, until he was twenty years of age, attending the public schools till his sixteenth year and then taking a course at a seminary in the city of Fahlun. In 1881 he came to America, landing in Quebec, May 27th. He came directly to Lake Lillian, in this county, arriving there June 1st of that year, and has lived there since that time, with the exception of short periods spent in Wisconsin and North Dakota. He worked for a while as carpenter and machinist, then settled down to farming. He purchased the SE1/4 of section 22 from Mary E. Butturf of Fergus Falls and the SE1/4 NE1/2 of the same section from E. O. Linn. He has built the necessary farm buildings, and laid about 125 acres under cultivation. He devotes his attention principally to raising grain and stock. The farm is twelve miles from Bird Island, fourteen miles from Olivia and twenty miles from Willmar. The distance to school is one and one-fourth miles. The farm is connected with the Kandiyohi County Telephone Company's line in Lake Lillian.

Mr. Hedin has been a prominent factor in local public affairs. He served as assessor in his town from 1889 to 1901; school director for six years, and justice of the peace for two years. In 1900 he was elected county commissioner for four years. He has also served as treasurer of the Christine Swedish Lutheran congregation for a number of years. On Sept. 27, 1886, Mr. Hedin was married to Miss Anna Linn, daughter of E. O. Linn and Brita Linn. Mrs. Hedin was born in Dalarne, Sept. 22, 1865. Her parents were both born in the same province-the father Dec. 31, 1843, and the mother Oct. 7, 1845. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hedin: Josie Ella, age 18; Emil Nathanael, age 16; Mary Berthina, age 14; Amy Florence, age 5; Esther Grace, age 3 years.


John Fremont Hilscher
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

John Fremont Hilscher was born January 23, 1857, at Bethlehem, Indiana. Mr. Hilscher is the son of Joseph S. Hilscher and Louise Woland (Hilscher). Joseph S. Hilscher was a farmer at Lincoln, Illinois, where he owned and cultivated a large farm and amassed a comfortable fortune as the result of his life's labors. He died in 1885, respected by all who knew him and survived by his wife, who is still living. He and his wife were of German descent, but were both born in America, and for several generations the family have been residents of this country. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm near Lincoln, attending the district school in the neighborhood in his boyhood - only during the winter months, however; the summers, as is customary among farmers' boys, he occupied in farm work. The district school was usually well conducted, and as a feature of this there was a debating club for the older boys and men of the neighborhood in which the subject of this sketch took an active part and which no doubt materially influenced his choice of a profession in later years. At the age of eighteen he left home and began at La Salle, Illinois, among strangers, to carve nut his own career. He was employed on a farm and in various other occupations taught in the public schools, and in many ways earned sufficient money to enable him to obtain a college course, which was commenced at Lincoln University, Lincoln, Illinois, and finished at Knox College, at Galesburg. Having decided to become a lawyer he read law with an uncle at Lincoln for three years and was admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Illinois at Springfield, in 1882. He began the practice of his profession at Lincoln and continued there until November 1886, when he removed to Willmar, Minnesota. He continued in the practice of law at Willmar until the spring of 1894, when he removed to St. Paul, his present residence. Among the important cases in which he has been engaged was the defense of James Funk, indicted for the murder of his wife in 1887 at Willmar. In 1893 Mr. Hilscher went to Holland, where he organized a corporation of Dutch capitalists for the investment of money in America, and since then, acting as their agent, he has invested for them half a million dollars. Since removing to St. Paul he has made a specialty of real estate and commercial law, and has charge of the Northwestern business of a number of local and Eastern wholesale houses and manufacturers. His professional career has been a successful one. Mr. Hilscher was the son of an ardent Republican, and gets his name from the first presidential candidate for the Republican party. He has always been enthusiastically identified with that party. He was alternate delegate to the National Republican Convention in Chicago in 1888, and was chairman of the county committee of Kandiyohi County the same year. But aside from this and occasional service to his party on the stump, he has not taken an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the St. Paul Commercial Club, of the Masonic Order, of the Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. In September 1894, he was elected Grand Chancellor of Minnesota by the Knights of Pythias, and served the order until 1895, when he was elected Supreme Representative from the state. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hilscher married December 30, 1884, to Miss Hetta Anderson, of Lincoln, Illinois. They have two children. Hazel, aged eight, and John F., aged four.


Charles E. Johnson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907), transcribed by Mary Saggio. 
JOHNSON CHARLES E, Atwater.  Farming and stock raising.  Born May 28, 1860 in Fahlun Minn, son of P M and Eva H (Christophersen) Johnson.  Married June 12, 1882 to Wealthey Jane Church.  Educated in public and high schools Duluth.  Settled in Lake Elizabeth, Kandiyohi county Minn and engaged in farming and stock raising 1878 to date.  Served as county comnr 4 years; nominated on Prohibition ticket for state senator 1890; elected to Minn House of Representatives 1907; served as school clk 10 years; assessor 5 years.


Christian Johnson
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Dr. Christian Johnson, of Willmar, is a native of Denmark, where he was born in Veile Amt, Jutland, July 17, 1853. He is the son of J. F. Ramsing, a farmer in comfortable circumstances, and Zidzel Christansatter (Ramsing). The ancestors of Dr. Johnson were largely identified with the military affairs of their county. His maternal grandfather was a cavalry officer in Napoleon's army in Russia. Christian was taught the rudimentary branches by his mother, who was a lady of many accomplishments. Later he attended the common school, but received his academic instruction under private tutelage. When but sixteen years of age he emigrated to America. He had no money, friends or acquaintances, but he worked at such odd jobs as he could secure in New York and Boston, in the meantime continuing his studies in the public schools and under private teachers as much as his means would allow. Having a desire to follow the medical profession, he commenced studying for that purpose in Boston. In 1874, however, he was compelled to return to Denmark to settle up the family estate. For the next three years he purchased the study of medicine in Copenhagen. In 1878 he returned to this country with the intention of completing his studies, but circumstances making it necessary that he should visit Minnesota, he decided to locate here, and in 1879 settled in Royalton, in Morrison County. In 1883 he passed the state medical examination and commenced the practice of his profession. He moved from Royalton to New London in 1886, residing in this place until the spring of 1895, at which time he moved to Willmar, Dr. Johnson has enjoyed a large and remunerative medical practice throughout Kandiyohi County. He has also served as United States pension surgeon at Willmar for several years. In addition with his professional practice he has been identified with a number of business enterprises. In 1895 he began the publication of the Willmar Tribune, but a few months later entered into partnership with Victor E. Lawson, under the firm name of Johnson & Lawson. This firm continued the publication of the Tribune, which was a decided success from the start. Dr. Johnson is one of the members of the New London Real Estate Company, which built the Great Northern hotel, and make extensive improvements in that two. He is also owner of considerable real estate in and around it. While a resident of New London Dr. Johnson was closely identified with every public enterprise. He was one of the incorporators, and until lately one of the directors of the State Bank of New London, and served as president of the village and of the school board, and in a number of other village offices. Up to 1893 Dr. Johnson affiliated with the Republican party, and took an active part in the local politics, serving the state central committee as a stump speaker. He disagreed with the party, however, on the issue involved in the repeal of the Sherman law, and joined the People's party in the campaign of 1894, taking an active part. He was a candidate for election to the lower house of the legislature, but was defeated by only twenty-nine votes. In the campaign of 1896 he was leading candidate for the People's party congressional nomination, and was also a delegate to the national convention of that party in St. Louis.


Marcus Johnson
History of the Scandinavians and Successful Scandinavians in the United States, Volumes I & II (1900) submitted by cd

Johnson, Marcus, state senator-Atwater-born 14 July, 1849, in the northern part of Helsingland, Sweden. When an infant of only two years of age he came with his parents to the United States; they settled at Waupaca, Wis., but moved to Kandiyohi county, Minn., five years later, where Johnson has resided ever since. In 1880 he was a delegate to the Republican national convention which met in Chicago and nominated Garfield for president, represented his district in the state legislature in 1883, and served in the state senate during the sessions of 1887-89. In 1890 President Harrison appointed him collector of internal revenues for Minnesota. He is interested in elevators, flouring mills, and other large enterprises in different parts of the state. Johnson is not married.


P. S. J. Johnson
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP
The subject of this sketch was born in Mockfjard, Dalarne, Sweden, Jan. 14, 1849. His parents were John Peterson, born March 30, 1821, and Karin Peterson, born March 19, 1826, both natives of Mockfjard.

Johnson's earlier years were spent in Mockfjard, where he attended the public schools. At the age of twenty he came to America, landing at New York in 1869. He came to Tripolis, this county, on July 3d of that year. He took a homestead in town of Lake Lillian and settled down to farming. Since then he has bought several tracts of land, and now has a farm of 295 acres, embracing the following descriptions: SE1/4, E1/2, SW1/4 section 18; 15 acres in section 8 and 40 acres in section 17. Of this land, 200 acres is under cultivation. He has a fine dwelling house and large farm buildings. Six acres have been planted with trees.

A few years ago he also bought the Lars Turnquist farm in sections 6 and 7 of the same town, he devotes his attention to raising grain and stock. The home farm is sixteen miles from Willmar and twelve miles from Olivia. It is on the Kandiyohi Telephone Company's line and on the Olivia free delivery route No. 2. Mr. Johnson is one of the trustees of the Christine church, is a good citizen and is well thought of by his neighbors. The maiden name of Mr. Johnson's wife was Brita Person. She was born in Mockfjard, Sweden, Feb. 5, 1843. Her parents were Ris Per Person, born 1803, and Brita Olson, born in 1805. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson: John E., aged 28, farming in Lake Lillian; P. August, aged 25, farming in Lake Lillian; Caroline, aged 23, now Mrs. August Johnson, living on a farm near Svea; Andrew, aged 19, farming in Lake Lillian; Ellen, aged 15, living at home.


Fred Linn
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP
Fred Linn was born in town of Lake Lillian, Kandiyohi county, Minn., Oct. 22, 1875. His parents were Erik O. Linn, born in Gagnel parish, Dalarne, Sweden, Dec. 21, 1843, and Brita Person, born in the same parish. Erik O. Linn, with his family, at that time consisting of wife, two girls and a boy, came to America in 1872, landing at Quebec. They came directly to Kandiyohi county, making their home in Lake Lillian, Mr. Linn being one of the pioneer settlers of that township. He took a homestead in Renville county, but abandoned this shortly and bought railroad land in sections 15 and 22, the acreage of the whole farm amounting to 240 acres. Mr. Linn was a practical and progressive type of farmer, and before his death in 1897 he had succeeded in making the farm a very attractive home and a valuable property. The home has telephone connections by means of the Kandiyohi County Telephone Company. Rural route No. 2 from Svea affords daily mail service. The schoolhouse in District No. 5 is only half a mile distant and the place is within one mile of the Christine church. Mrs. Erik O. Linn still continues to live in the old home and the farm is being worked by the eldest son, Ole Linn, who also has a farm of his own in the locality. The two daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Erik O. Linn were Anna and Christine. The former is now Mrs. A. M. Hedin; the latter died in 1897.

The subject of this sketch grew to manhood at the old home. After passing through the common school in District No. 5, Lake Lillian, he took the business course in the Willmar Seminary in 1897-99, and also a course at the state agricultural school in 1901-02.

After the death of his father he took charge of the home farm, which he managed for several years, in connection with his own land, which consists of SW1/4 SW1/4 section 15, and NE1/4 NW1/4 section 22, Lake Lillian, part of it purchased from the H. & D. railroad and part from Andrew Anderson. On Sept. 22, 1903, Mr. Linn moved to Willmar and in partnership with T. E Murphy opened the Park cafe, later adding hotel accommodations to the business. In the spring of 1905 Messrs. Linn & Murphy sold their business to E. T. Sandbo. Since January, 1904, Mr. Linn has been interested in the firm of Johnson, Fridlund, Norman Co. At present he lives in Minneapolis, where he is employed in a wholesale house.

While living in Lake Lillian, Mr. Linn served as town assessor in 1900 and 1901, as chairman of supervisors 1902-03, resigning in September of 1903 as clerk of School District No. 5 from 1901 to 1904, resigning in the summer of the latter year.


L. J. Peterson
Source: The Illustrated History of Kandiyohi County, Minnesota, Victor E. Lawson and J. Emil Nelson, 1905; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

LAKE LILLIAN TOWNSHIP
L. J. PETERSON. Lars J. Peterson was born in Mockfjard. Dalarne, Sweden, Sept. 25, 1860. His parents were John Peterson, born March 30, 1821, and Karin Peterson, born March 22, 1826, both natives of Mockfjard. In 1869 the family came to this country, landing in New York July 3d of that year. They came to Tripolis, where they spent the first three months, then they moved to the old Norlander farm in Fahlun, where they spent the winter. In the spring they settled on a homestead in town of lake Lillian. Here L. J. Peterson grew to manhood, assisting with the farm work, and attending the common school at intervals between the work. When he had reached manhood he bought some land and settled down to farming, in which he has been very successful. He gradually bought more land near his farm, and in 1897 he bought the Willie Salander farm. The home farm comprises the following tracts of land: SW1/4 NE1/4 lots 1, 2 and 3. NE1/2 SE1/4 section 19. The Salander farm includes E1/2 SW1/4 section 19, and N1/2 NW1/4 section 30, all in town of Lake Lillian, a total of 480 acres. The land is devoted to raising wheat and stock. About 275 acres are under cultivation. There is a dwelling house, barn and granary on each farm. The home farm is on Olivia free delivery route no. 2 and on the Kandiyohi Telephone Company's line. It is twelve miles from Olivia and seventeen miles from Willmar. Distance to school, one and three-fourths miles.

Mr. Peterson has served as clerk of the school district in which he lives about ten years, and has been a member of the town board of supervisors for six years. He is public spirited and stands well in the community.

On Sept. 26, 1884, at Willmar, Minn., Mr. Peterson was married to Miss Anna Hanson of Lake Lillian. Miss Hanson was born on Feb. 14, 1866, in the same parish from which Mr. Peterson came. Her parents were Peter Hanson, born Dec. 24, 1832, and Karin Hanson, born May 20, 1840, both of Mockfjard parish. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Peterson: Oscar, aged 18; Rhoda J., aged 14; Elvin T., aged 10; Ernest B., aged 5; Fred W., aged 1. All are still living at home.


Andrew Railson
Source: History of the Scandinavians and Successful Scandinavians in the United States, Volumes I & II (1900) submitted by cd

Railson, Andrew, state senator-Norway Lake-born 16 Aug., 1833, in Sigdal, Kristiania stift, Norway. He emigrated to this country at the age of seventeen; worked in the pineries and at other common labor in Green county, Wis. for about five years; visited his native country, and on his return located in Stillwater, Minn., working in the saw mills for a couple of years; then took a claim in Kandiyohi county, being one of the earliest settlers in this part of the country. At the time of the terrible Sioux Indian outbreak, in 1862, Andrew and his brother Even were among the bravest defenders of life and property; but nevertheless they were driven away from their homes by the fierce Redskins, and did not return until 1865. He has been county treasurer of Kandiyohi county for five years; was receiver of the U. S. land office at Redwood Falls from 1884-87; represented his district in the state legislature in 1871; served in the state senate during the sessions of 1872-73, and has held various local offices. Andrew Railson, Jonas Lindall of Chisago county, and Ole Peterson of Pope county were the first Scandinavians who were elected state senators in Minnesota; but many other Northmen, how-ever, had served in the lower branch of the legislature ever since the state constitution was adopted, in 1857. Railson was again elected to the state legislature in 1892. In 1860 he was married to Bertha Johnson. They have children.


O, E. Riese
Source: Warren Sheaf (MN) January 12, 1881; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Biographical Sketch of the Officers of the Senate.
ASSISTANT SERGEANT-AT-ARMS.
O. E. Reise, Norway Lake, Kandiyohi county, single, farmer, age 30, born in Norway, settled in Minnesota in 1867, and served as assistant sergeant-at-arms in the house in 1877.


Lars O. Thorpe
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

Lars O. Thorpe, cashier at the Kandiyohi County Bank at Willmar, is a type of successful Scandinavian-American settlers frequently found in the state of Minnesota. He was horn in Vikor Parish, Hardanger, Norway, on December 24, 1847. His father, Ole Thorpe, was a teacher in the common schools and owned a small farm. He was in moderate circumstances. His wife was Miss Britha Skaare. Both were well connected and religious people. Young Lars attended the common school near his home for a few months, but after his father's death, when he was but five years old, he received little schooling. His stepfather owned a freighting vessel, and Lars made several trips as cook on this ship. For three years he was employed on a fishing vessel. When seventeen years of age the poor prospects for the future suggested to the young man immigration to America, and, with the help of his step-father and his own little savings, he managed to come as far as Detroit, Michigan. From that point a fellow passenger assisted him to Sharon, Wisconsin. Here Mr. Thorpe worked on farms and attended the common schools for about three months during the succeeding winter. In the spring of 1865 he came to Winona and worked in a planing mill and later on a farm. The next winter he went to Dodge County, and was employed as teacher in a parochial school. In the following spring he followed a company of land hunters, and traveled with oxen and covered wagons along the Minnesota river as far as Chippewa County, where they settled. He returned to Dodge County during that summer, and in the fall of 1867 left for Norway to fulfill a promise given his parents, that he would return in four years. In the spring of 1868 he returned to America with a brother and sister, and they all located in Dodge County. The next year found Mr. Thorpe contracting for railroad work in Meeker County, and in the same summer he located a homestead in Kandiyohi County. At this time he concluded to learn the printers trade and came to Minneapolis and commenced type setting on the Nordisk Folkehlad. But printing did not agree with his health, and he accepted an offer from A. J. Clark, who had just established the Kandiyohi Reveille, and went to Kandiyohi County in the spring of 1871. In the fall of that year the county seat was established at Willmar, Mr. Clark's paper suspended and Mr. Thorpe was thrown out of employment. He located on a farm in Dovre, Kandiyohi County, and tried to combine farming in a small way with teaching and the duties of Justice of the Peace and Town Clerk. In 1875 he was elected Register of Deeds of the county, which office he held for three terms. In 1881 the directors of the Kandiyohi County Bank tendered Mr. Thorpe the position of cashier. He accepted the offer and has occupied the position ever since. During the next year the Willmar Seminary was established and Mr. Thorpe took an active part in putting the institution on its feet. As a member of the republican party Mr. Thorpe has taken an active part in the county and state elections. He was presidential elector in 1884 and was elected state senator in 1894. He has held numerous local offices. As a member of the Lutheran Synod, he has been a member of several important committees, and is now alternate for the member-at-large of the Church Council. One of Mr. Thorpe's hobbies has been practical temperance work. On June 6, 1870, he was married to Martha Qvale, of Dodge County. They have had nine children. Six are now living, Dorothea, now Mrs. J. O. Estreem, of New London; Edward Lawrence, Christian Scriver, Edith Beatrice, Jane Olea, Bertha Herborg.


Kandiyohi County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails