Follow-up, Memories and Memorials
Old Settlers Tour
Gertrude, Guri and Brita Endreson
MONUMENT ERECTED 1891, TRANSCRIPTION:
This monument was erected August 20,1891, by a special act of the Legislature of Minn. in 1891. John Lundborg, John Peterson and Erick Paulson, were appointed by the Governor to select and erect this memorial.
This Monument is erected by the State of Minnesota in memory of
Anders Petter Lundborg born Mar. 23, 1837.
Gustof Lundborg, born Apr. 30, 1839. Lars Lundborg, born Dec. 22, 1840.
Anders Petter Broberg, born Sep. 16, 1819.
His wife Christina, born Aug. 31, 1826.
Their son Johannes, born Jan. 23, 1849.
Their son Andreas, born Jan. 27, 1852.
Their daughter Christina, born May 31, 1855.
Their relative Johannes Nilson.
Daniel Petter Broberg, born Jan. 8, 1824.
His wife Annastina, born Mar. 31, 1832.
Their son Alfred, born Mar. 31, 1858.
Their son John Albert, born Oct. 22, 1861.
Anders and Lars Lundborg left Vargorda, Westergotland, Sweden, May 8, 1858, landing at Boston, Mass., June 4, 1858, arrived at West Lake, Minn., in the spring of 1860.
Anders Petter Broberg and his brother, Daniel Petter Broberg, with their families left Vargorda, Westergotland, Sweden, Apr. 28, 1861; landed at Quebec, Canada, June 19, 1861, and arrived at West Lake Minn., July 15, 1861.
All of these persons were massacred by the Sioux Indians Aug. 20, 1862, while on their way home from a religious meeting held at the home of Andrias Lundborg, in T. 121, R. 36, Kandiyohi Co. and conducted by Rev. Andrew Jackson, all being members of the Swedish Lutheran church. The names of the parties massacred being kept on file in the records of the Nest Lake Lutheran Church of New London.
The massacre of these persons was the commencement of the Indian War of 1862. Derfor varen ock I redo; ty den stund I icke menen kommer Menniskosonen. - Luc. 12:40.
The remains of the massacred were removed from West Lake, Minn., June 19, 1891, and now rest where this memorial is erected.
Approved by 1891 legislature; dedicated August 20, 1891.
- - 1907 - - TENTH ANNUAL RE-UNION KANDIYOHI COUNTY OLD SETTLERS' ASSOCIATION.
Source: Willmar Tribune (MN) June 26, 1907.
A splendid success from beginning to end - that is the general verdict of the meeting of the Kandiyohi County Old Settlers' Association held in this city on Tuesday, June 18, 1908. [President of the Association is C. A. Birch]
. . . Albert H. Sperry gave a very interesting talk on his reminiscences of the time of the Indian outbreak, and other early pioneer experiences . . .
The placing of the historical markers that had been provided by the executive committee was an interesting feature of the day's program. Lack of conveyances, however, prevented many from attending this feature. Four tablets were placed during the evening. The first place visited was the Seminary hill, where the first cabin within the limits of the city was built in 1857, and where the first inhabitant, Berger Tolerson, was killed by the Sioux Indians, Aug. 20, 1862. While Tolerson had no family connections with any surviving early settlers, he was known to Oscar Erickson and wife. Hon. Andrew Nelson of Litchfield and Swan Swanson of St. Paul, both still living, lived with Tolerson the second winter, 1858, at his cabin, and the former states that he was with the burial party that buried Tolerson's body a few days after the massacre. That he was buried there is corroborated by the finding of his bones when excavation was made for Clark's residence in 1874, which building is now a part of the Seminary. The exact spot of the site of the cabin was located by Mr. John Strandberg, who located near the place in 1869, and remembered the old cellar hole distinctly. The inscription on the tablet is as follows:
SITE - FIRST CABIN IN WILLMAR, 1857.
B. TOLERSON KILLED BY INDIANS, 1862.
The next place visited was the site of Foot's cabin on the north shore of Willmar Lake. Foot was the first settler in the township of Willmar. He located his claim June 10, 1857. His adventures and experiences have been published in the columns of the tribune in years back and later in revised form in the History of Kandiyohi County. The old stone well, twenty-nine feet deep, is still in good state of preservation. The owner of the land, Mr. D. N. Tallman, has given the Old Setters' Association permission to enclose the spot with a fence to protect the marker and give people a chance to get a good view of the well. This is one of the spots that will always possess an interest to Willmar people. The inscription on the marble slab is simply:
SITES - R. FOOT CABIN
OLD STONE WELL
The third place visited was the scene of the fight on Eagle Lake Creek at Stewart's cabin. This is without exception the most interesting historic spot withing the limits of Kandiyohi county. Here the families of the lower settlement took refuge on the evening of Aug. 20, 1862. Here on the morning of the following day the Indians met with the first resistance form the settlers. Here Carl J. Carlson also known as "Swede Carlie," was killed in the potato patch. Here Foot and Erickson with their brave wives kept the Indians at bay, although both the men were finally wounded and rendered helpless, Foot first having killed no less than three of the savages. Here these men lay alone for thirty-six hours, expecting and hoping for death, until rescued and carried to safety by goo mother Guri Endreson, which heroic act is soon to be commemorated by a memorial to be erected by the State of Minnesota upon her grave in the Vikor cemetery. The exact spot of the old Stewart cabin had been located previous to the dedication of the marker by the help of Sondre Sonderson, on whose cultivated field the same is located. President Birch found an old clay pipe, a piece of slate, pieces of crockery and dishes on the spot, which he is keeping a souvenirs. It was too bad that the old cabin itself was not preserved. Its logs are said to have been filled with rifle balls, and the board wall covering the old fire-place was riddled with bullets. The cabin was torn down and taken to the Sonderson place, and the boys often amused themselves with cutting out the bullets from the logs. The marker placed on this memorable spot bears this inscription:
SITE - STEWART'S CABIN, 1857
SCENE OF FIGHT WITH
INDIANS, Aug. 21, 1862
In his dedicatory speech President Birch expressed the hope that the State would at some future time commemorate the spot with a more pretentious monument. One of the remarkable features of the dedication of this tablet was the presence of two of the principals of the fight which had occurred on the spot forty-five years before, namely Oscar Erickson and wife. The former is in his eighty-sixth year, but is very spry and active in spite of his age and in spite of the serious wound which laid him low more than four decades ago. He was a very interested participant in the dedicatory visit and told his story and pointed out the interesting spots to those present. The old cabin site is about fifty yards west of the Eagle lake road on the hill north of the Eagle lake creek.
The grave of Carl J. Carlson was located in the edge of the road east from the site of the cabin. Besides Mr. Erickson, who knew well the location of the grave, Albert H. Sperry, Louis Larson and Peter Larson, who had been members of the burial parties who visited the scene soon after the fight, practically agreed on the spot where the plain marker now stands. The inscription is simply "Carl J. Carlson." The dedication of this tablet closed the exercises for the day, as it was thought impracticable to visit other points farther away.
The total number of markers provided is ten. Two of those were placed on the graves of Lars Endreson and Endre Endreson at the Erickson home by President Birch and Albert H. Sperry on Sunday, June 16. On Monday afternoon, June 17, a party consisting of Louis Larson of New London, Peter Larson of Foreston, President Birch and Editor Lawson made a trip to Twin Lakes where a marker was placed on the grave of Ole Olson Hagen. His body had been found floating in the smaller Twin lakes by Rev. Jackson's party. He had been shot thru the breast and had stuffed grass in the wound under his shirt in the hope of staying the blood. He had hung his coat on the bushes which led to the discovery of his body. It is thought that he had gone to the lake to ease his terrible wound in the lake, but had expired and fallen into the water. The trail led then as now the road runs now, between the two lakes, and the grave is marked close to the shore of the lake near the well known duck pass. Peter Anderson, who lives nearby, assisted in getting the exact location of the grave. The party mentioned also placed a marker on the grave of Carl P. Jonason, the father of Carl J. Carlson, who was killed about halfway between Eagle Lake and Stewart's cabin. Old Jonason refused to stay in the cabin with the refugees on the eventful evening of Aug. 20, 1862, but went down to his own cabin on the old Fullerville townsite to spend the night. In the morning when on his way to rejoin his folks he encountered the Indians and met his fate. This grave was a landmark for a long time and its location was pointed out definitely by Mr. Osmund Lunde, who joined the marking party at this point. Two markers remain to be placed - namely one to commemorate the graves of Bergeret and Fredrick Olson Hagen at O. R. Sletten's place and Johannes Iverson at Crook lake.
- - 1907 - - DEDICATION OF ENDRESEN MONUMENT [sic.]
Source: Willmar Tribune (MN) July 24, 1907.
State Memorial in the Vikor Churchyard Is in Place.
The dedication of the granite monument erected by the state on the grave of Guri Enderson took place at the Vikor churchyard in the township of Dovre last Sunday afternoon. A large crowd of interested people were in attendance. Had not the threatening weather developed during the forenoon, there would have been a still larger number from more distant parts of the county, but as it was the skies cleared at noon and the afternoon proved an ideal summer's day.
Regular forenoon services were held at the church. A basket dinner was then partaken of, members of the ladies society taking pains that all those present who were not supplied with baskets were given dinner and served lemonade to all without cost. At two o'clock the dedication of the monument occurred, the exercises taking place in the open air. A band of ten pieces under the leadership of Ralph Telstad had been improvised for the occasion and rendered acceptable music. After the opening music Senator L. O. Thorpe made an address in which he spoke of pioneer life, the Indian massacre and the life of Guri Endreson and her heroic deeds. Among other interesting things, he brought out some reminisces of the early sixties. The church building in the original Vikor congregation in Norway was built by Lars Endreson, the murdered husband of Guri. A neat inscription in the back part of the church states that "Lars Endreson Rosseland was the Builder of this Church." Thus the name came to be a familiar one to the people of the parish, and the senator well remembers when, as a lad, the news came to Norway in 1863 [sic.] that Endreson had been killed by the Indians. His sad fate was used as an argument with which to try and dissuade people from emigrating to America. After coming to this country the speaker said he was very curious to see this woman who had suffered so much in the Indian outbreak and made a long detour in his first journey here in order to visit at the Endreson home. He spoke of the securing of the appropriation from the State for a fitting memorial and of the good work of the committee and faithful execution of the contract by Shipstead & Johnson Bros. who furnished the monument. He then read a brief biographical sketch of the life of the heroine and a short history of the church. Copies of these, together with copies of the church and local papers and other small articles had been sealed up in the base of the monument.
After a selection by the band, Rev. O. Estrem spoke relative to his personal acquaintance with Guri. He pointed out that people of those early days did not realize the importance and full significance of events then transpiring, and last of all did the woman whose memory as perpetuated by this stone attach any thought of heroism to her deeds. Reverting to church questins, Rev. Estrem also touched upon the language question in the Norwegian churches as something that would have to be solved in the near future, and advised the older people not to oppose too strongly the introduction of English. He also spoke of his experiences in Texas since living this charge.
A third selection by the band was rendered, after which the local pastor, Rev. J. N. Anderson, made an address in which he spoke of the monument which every person erects for himself - either good or bad - the necessity for a good foundation for the same, and the care necessary not to mar the beauty of the same by serious mistakes in polishing and in inscribing the same. The exercises closed with several selections by the band. The occasion was one which will always be looked back upon with pleasure by the participants.
Several pictures were taken of the monument during the day. Sheriff Bonds took several good Kodak views, in two of which the descendants now living and present of the dead heroine are gathered about the monument.
The monument itself stands about eight feet high, is of polished red granite quarried at St. Cloud. It faces west towards the lake. There is a fine view of Solomon Lake from the churchyard. The bill to provide money for the erection of the monument was introduced in the last legislature by Senator Thorpe and passed thru his efforts. The law named John K. Rykken, Knut O. Axness and John T. Syvertson as a committee to erect the memorial. The contract was let to the Willmar Marble Works, and these enterprising monument builders entered into the spirit of the occasion and produced the best possible stone that the money would buy.
INDIAN MASSACRE OF 1862
Source: Willmar Tribune (MN) August 21, 1912.
VICTIMS WITHIN BORDERS OF KANDIYOHI COUNTY
August 20 and 21, 1862
Sven Helgeson Backlund
Anders Peter Broberg
Christina Broberg, wife
Daniel Peter Broberg
Anna Stina Broberg, wife
John Albert Broberg
Carl Johan Carlson
Bergeret Olson Haugen
Frederick Olson Haugen
Olof Olson Haugen
Carl Peter Jonason
Andrew P. Lundborg
(Article Includes Guri (Endreson) Moe and Brita (Endreson) Moe
[Source: The Willmar Tribune (MN) April 7, 1915]
FORMER SOLOMON LAKE RESIDENT KILLED AT EVERETT
Sven Moe is Run Down by An Auto Bus in His Home City In Washington.
Sven Moe, an old-time settler of Dovre township and very well known in this community, met a violent death at Everett, Wash., in an auto accident, on Saturday, Mar. 27. Mr. Moe came to Solomon Lake in 1867. He was married to Guri Endreson, a daughter of the heroine of the Indian war, and after his first wife's death married her sister, Brita, who is also dead. Mr. Moe left for Washington about twelve years ago. A clipping form an Everett newspaper received by Henry Howell gives the details of the accident:
"A Jitney bus, operated by A. C. Dunn between Hewitt avenue and Delta, struck and almost instantly killed Sven Moe, aged 63, at an early hour Saturday night on Broadway near Twenty-second street. The victim, who lived at 2203 McDougall avenue, was hurried to a hospital, but died before reaching the institution.
"Dunn was arrested and detained. Walter Buchanan, a passenger, will be a witness. Another passenger vanished when the jitney stopped after running over the aged pedestrian, whose chest was crushed, right leg fractured and head cut, under the Chalmers machine.
"A. C. Dunn made the following statement to the police:
"I was driving about 12 miles an hour and saw Moe as he started across the street about 75 feet from the intersection of Everett avenue with Broadway" said Dunn. "I was about ten feet from the curb, behind Moe, supposing he would continue on across. When he saw the auto approaching, he hesitated and turned back, the fender of the machine striking him and knocking him down.
"I had two passengers with me at the time. One of them disappeared as soon as I stopped the machine, but the other remained and helped me remove the injured man from between the front and rear wheels.
"Prosecuting Attorney O. T. Webb intends holding an autopsy and probably an inquest as a means of determining the responsibility for Sven Moe's death.
The jitney victim lost his wife by death several years ago, and his daughter is in a precarious condition at the Providence hospital, where she underwent an operation Friday."
Gertrude (Endreson) Erickson
[Source: Willmar Tribune (MN) Wednesday, October 30, 1918; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
The ranks of the old pioneers of the county are thinning fast. Among those who have passed away during the last week is Mrs. Oscar Erickson, whose maiden name was Gertrude Enderson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lars Enderson. The father was one of the victims in the Indian outbreak, and the mother was a heroine who saved the lives of Solomon Foot and Oscar Erickson by her heroic conduct in those perilous days. Mrs. Erickson was born in Hardanger, Norway, May 6, 1840. Died October 22, 1918.
She had been ailing for the last five years, but confined to her bed for six weeks when she suffered a stroke of paralysis which was the immediate cause of her death. Mrs. Erickson's childhood days were spent in Norway. At the age of twelve years she came with her parents to America. They settled on a claim on the north shore of Solomon Lake in 1857. She was Married to Oscar Erickson in March 1859. Part of their married life was spent in Meeker county. After the death of her mother, they moved to the old homestead where they lived till Mr. Erickson's death eight years ago, when she moved to Willmar to live with her daughter, Mrs. C. W. Olson, where she died.
Mrs. Erickson was the mother of ten children; five sons and five daughters, all of whom are living. The sons are: Aleck Erickson of Millner, N. D.; Ole of Richland, N. D.; Lars of Willmar; Amund of Abercrombie, N. D.; Andrew of McLeod, N. D. The daughters are: Mrs. A. K. Tweto of Abercrombie, N.D.; Mrs. H. A. Hart and Mrs. E. J. Berg of Bellingham, Wash.; Mrs. C. W. Olson of Willmar and Mrs. T. C. McDonald of Minneapolis. All the children were present at the funeral except Mrs. Berg and Mrs. Hart. The deceased had one sister living, Mrs. P. P. Alvig of the town of Dovre. There are thirty-five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
On account of the prevailing epidemic the funeral was a private one, held last Friday afternoon, October 25, at the Solomon Lake cemetery, Rev. J. N. Andersen of Willmar officiated. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. The pall bearers were the five sons of the deceased and her grandchild, Almont McDonald, of Minneapolis.
PHOTOS (Where they can be found)
Heros of the Uprising, Minnesota's Dakota Uprising of 1862, Michael Keigan, page 93, rll
(photo of Solomon Foot's musket-c/o Kandiyohi Historical Society.), page 94
Unless otherwise indicated, these articles were transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
Kandiyohi County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails