William H. Alley
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 10
ALLEY, WILLIAM H., lawyer, b. near Augusta, Maine, Feb. 28, 1855; came with his parents to Minnesota when a child; settled in Hallock in 1880; engaged in mercantile business three years, then practiced
law; was attorney of Kittson county, 1889-91.
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co. page 522; submitted by Robin Line
Industry, honesty and economy are the stepping stones by which this gentleman has reached a high station in agricultural and business circles. He is president o the Hallock Mutural Fire Insurance Company, and is also engaged in farming in section 12 of township 160, range 50, it the civil township of Red River. He has a fine property which is highly cultivated and improved by good buildings, and represents many years of labor for Mr. Anderson in Kittson county He is a citizen of foreign birth, but is devoted to the interests of his adopted land, and manifests the true spirit of American independence and progress. His farm covers a section of land, and is well adapted to diversified farming, to which our subject has devoted the same.
Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden, April 11, 1857, and was the third child and oldest son born to Ola and Margret (Olson) Anderson. The family crossed the water in 1869 and located at Red Wing, Minnesota, where the father secured land, and our subject was reared to agricultural pursuits. In the spring of 1881 Mr. Anderson secured free transportation to Kittson county, and arrived there without a dollar. He began working at farm labor and also clerking in a store at Kennedy, and later secured his land. He was unable to begin operating the farm, however, on account of no means with which to furnish teams and supplies, and it was not until 1884 that he began farming and the improvement of the place.He has since devoted his attention to his farm, and has met with remarkable success in the same. He has erected good buildings and otherwise improved the place and it is now one of the fine farms of that locality and is in striking contrast in appearance to the land as Mr. Anderson first beheld it. The first settlers of a country know more of the region as time goes on that the present purchasers of land, who either purchase what others have partially or wholly improved or are enabled to judge by the surrounding estates what can be accomplished in that locality with the land not yet occupied. It is no easy task to select land from a wilderness or boundless prairie which will insure good results from improvement and cultivation, and the fact that the farm now owned by our subject has proven all that is desired is striking evidence that good judgement and foresight are dominant in Mr. Anderson. These, coupled with industrious habits and economy in work and expenditure, have placed him in a foremost rank among the agriculturists of his community.
Mr. Anderson was married, in 1882, to Miss Hilda Mattson. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, who are named as follows: Awley, Martha J. and Nannie. The Hallock Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established in 1886, our subject being the instigator of the plan, and he is now serving as president of the company. He is identified with no political party and is held in high esteem because of his non-partisanship. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church.
August E. Anderson
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co. p. 874-875; submitted by Robin Line
August E. Anderson, residing on section 35, Granville township, is one of Kittson county's representative citizens, and may be classed among its pioneers. He is a native of Sweden, and has been fortunate in his adventures in his adopted land. Mr. Anderson was born January 6, 1863. His parents were Andrew and Gusta (Person) Anderson, both now deceased. The father was a prominent farmer and country merchant in Sweden.
August E. Anderson was reared and educated in his native land, and at the early age of fifteen years began to plan for his eventual settlement in America. Three years later he prevailed upon his father to allow him to make the venture, and on October 22, 1881, he arrived in Chicago. On leaving Chicago he was in a railroad wreck on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, in which there were many injured and three killed and Mr. Anderson sustained injuries. He soon secured work on government contracts on the Mississippi river, and for two years following worked as such occupations as presented themselves, and it was not until 1883 that he came to Minnesota.In the spring of that year he arrived in Kittson county, but finding the country covered by water he decided to make no permanent settlement. However, he returned to the county during the harvest of the same year, and the prospect was so encouraging that he decided to make it his future home. In the spring of 1886 Mr. Anderson invested in his present farm and proceeded to develop it, in the meantime residing with his brother-in-law. His present estate is one of the most valuable in Kittson county. The improvements are of the best, and his conveniences are all of modern style. The present value and excellent condition of his property is due to his industry, persistence and businesslike management.
In 1889 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Dorothea Carlson. They have a family of four children, named as follows: Hulda, Hattie, Helmar and Hildur. They have a pleasant home, and their education received a good degree of attention from their parents. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Lutheran church, is prominent in his community, and for ten years has been a member of the township board. In 1895 he made a trip to Sweden, and spent three months revisiting the scenes of his boyhood and renewing acquaintances formed in his youth. Mr. Anderson is well known throughout the county, and the circle of his popularity is only limited by his acquaintance. He is essentially a self-made man and has done much for the county of his adoption. He has in his farm three hundred and eighty acres of choice land. For ten years he has operated a threshing machine. On another page of this work will be found the portraits of both Mr. and Mrs. August E. Anderson.
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., page 921; submitted by Robin Line
For the past twenty years this gentleman has devoted his time and attention to the pursuit of agriculture in Kittson county, Minnesota, and he has met with a good degree of success in the same. He is a carpenter and joiner by trade and is a man of ability and ingenuity, displaying these characteristics in the appointments and equipments of his farm. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 18, of Hazleton township, and carefully tills the same and has provided every means for the economical conduct of the place. His calling is well chosen and he is one of the highly esteemed and progressive citizens of his community.
Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden September 5, 1853, and was a son of Anders and Brita (Johnson) Johnson. He learned the carpenter's trade in his native land and worked at the same in Ostersund until 1881, when he came to America in quest of his fortune. In January, 1882, he filed claim to land in Kittson county and at once began the improvement of the same. He built a log house and lived humbly and economically and is now the fortunate owner of a good estate. In 1899 he erected a substantial barn and this, with other outbuildings of the place, evidences the thrift of the owner. Mr. Anderson and his brother live together and our subject is one of the well-known bachelor farmers of that section.
Progressiveness, integrity and enterprise mark Mr. Anderson as one of the foremost men of his calling in Hazleton township. He was in debt when he went to his present location, but he has since become able to cancel this and owns one hundred and sixty acres of good land without incumbrance, all as the result of his own endeavors. He is most prominent in public affairs of his township and he has served the people in various local offices, in all of which he has proven his integrity and faithfulness. He has been township treasurer since the organization of Hazleton township, and for ten years has served as treasurer of the school district.
Olof J. Anderson
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., p. 362-365; submitted by Robin Line
Olof J. Anderson, sheriff of Kittson county, Minnesota, of whom a portrait may be found in this volume, is one of the popular and efficient public officers, and is a rising young man of his locality. He is a man of good education, intelligent and enterprising, and is possessed of a good business training, all of which characteristics commend him to the highest esteem of his fellow men. His life in Minnesota extends over the past ten or more years, and he has ever been found on the side of right and justice and manifesting, the true spirit of American civilization and progress. He is a native of Sweden, but is devoted to the interests of his adopted land, and has a host of friends in Kittson county. He has made his residence in Hallock since early in the '90s.
Mr. Anderson was born in Herjedahlen, Jemtland, Sweden, November 28, 1865, and was a son of Jonas and Karin (Olofson) Anderson, both of whom are still living. When a youth of seventeen years Mr. Anderson came to America and joined his uncle in Kittson county, Minnesota, where he was introduced to farm labor as it is conducted in the great northwest. He soon afterward entered the Gustavus Adolphus College, of St. Peter, Minnesota, where he studied two and a half years, then engaging in teaching English and Swedish branches in parochial schools. He followed clerking a short time in Holmes City, and then in 1894 went to Hallock, and for the next four years was employed as a clerk. He was then elected to the office of county sheriff and has discharged the duties of his position since that date, with satisfaction to all, and a degree of judgement and justice which commends him to the people. He was the popular choice of the Populist party and its candidate on that ticket for re-election in November, 1900, and received six hundred majority.
Mr. Anderson was married in 1891 to Miss Mary Nordby. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, who are named in order of birth, as follows: Joseph, Oscar, Arthur, Sigurd and Othelia. Our subject is prominent in secret society circles and is a member of the following fraternal orders: Independent Order of Foresters, Modern Woodman of America. Independent Order Good Templars and Masonic fraternity. (Photo of Olof J. Anderson, page 363)
Reynard F. Anderson
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., page 904; submitted by Robin Line
Ideal locations for farms have been sought throughout the northwest, but perhaps no one locality furnishes a more inviting place than the south branch of Two Rivers in Kittson county, Minnesota. Along its banks the present agriculturist of that region lives in contentment and plenty, and feels a just pride in having chosen well in the early day. Before its cultivation and development, the natural resources of a country do not appeal to the searcher for a home, and for this reason many of those who went to Kittson county in the pioneer days of its history turned backward to their former location or pressed onward in search of better camping grounds, Of those who foresaw what might be accomplished in that region and remained to reap the rewards of honest industry is the subject of this review. Mr. Anderson has a pleasant home on section 10 of Hallock township, and is one of the widely known pioneers of his locality.
Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden August 2, 1860, and was the eldest child and only son in a family of five children born to Gustaf and Maria (Gustafson) Anderson. The family came to America in 1872 and made their home in Red Wing, Minnesota, where the father worked in a moccasin factory, his trade being that of a shoemaker. Our subject was given the advantages of the city schools of Red Wing during some months of each winter, but in the main did not receive very liberal advantages, and as the family later moved to a farm, he assisted with the work of the place and thus his schooling ended. The father was not successful on his first farm, and in 1882 he located in Kittson county and secured land. Our subject accompanied his parents to the new home, and soon afterward, in the spring of 1883, he secured land for himself and has operated the same successfully since that date, and has resided thereon since 1890. He has placed good improvements on his home farm, and owns a tract of two hundred and forty acres. He has accumulated this farm unaided, and is one of the prosperous young members of the farming community of Hallock township.
Mr. Anderson was married in 1891 to Miss Hannah Hokanson. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, who are named Delphine and Fregof. Upon the marriage of our subject he took his young wife to their present comfortable home, and they have resided there since that date in contentment and plenty. Their dwelling is substantial and well furnished, and Mrs. Anderson presides over her household with true dignity, Mr. Anderson is prominent in township affairs, and has served ten years on the township board, during four years of which time he acted in the capacity of chairman of the board. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church, and is identified with the Republican party politically, but is not a strict party man, and has a host of friends regardless of party affiliations. Among the illustrations of this memorial volume will be will be found the portraits of Mr. Anderson and his family. (photo of Reynard F. Anderson and Family on page 905)
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., Pages 1019-1020; submitted by Robin Line
Christian Andreason, one of the leading farmers of Teien township, who resides on section 10, of that township, and whose postoffice is at Teien, Minnesota, was born in Norway, September 17, 1856, a son of Andreas Anderson and his wife, Johanna Helwick Erickson. The parents were both born in Norway, and came to this country in 1888. They died in Red River township in the fall of 1900, within two days of each other.
Mr Andreasen, whose name appears at the opening of this review, is the second oldest member of a family of seven children, all of whom are living. He was educated in Norway, and for six years was a sailor on the ocean from that country. In 1879 he came to this country and settled at Crookston, Minnesota, where he worked for one year. In 1880 he came to Kittson county, where he took a homestead in Teiren township, on which he now resides. His landed estate consists of four hundred acres of finely imporved farm land, on which he raises wheat, through he is becoming an extensive cattle dealer, having now some seventy head on hand. He came in with nothing and has achieved a remarkable success.
Mr. Andreason was married in 1881 to Dina Sophia Hansen, who was born in Norway in 1857. She died in 1882, leaving one daughter, Dina L. S. Mr. Andreasen was married again in 1885 to Marie Hemingson, who was born in Goodhue county in 1865. To this marriage were born nine children: Oscar, Hilma, Andreas, Elizabeth, Hannah, Harry, Elmer, Christian and Julia Marie.
Mr. Andreasen is a Republican and belongs to the Norwegian Lutheran church.
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., p. 596-597; submitted by Robin Line
Many of the successful farmers of the northwest have gained their knowledge of their calling since taking up their residences in this country. They are experienced in other vocations, most of them foreign to that of agriculture in every particular, but this does not detract from their success when they put the shoulder to the wheel and persist in gaining a fortune and a reputation in their new surroundings. Kittson county boasts many of these men, and a prominent place among the number must be given the worthy gentleman whose name introduces this review. He has a fine farm in section 10, of Davis township, and is one of the deservedly popular men of his community.
Our subject was born in Fredrickstad, Norway, November 6, 1858, and was the third child and oldest son born to Ole P. and Ellen T. (Hanson) Arveson, both of whom are now living in Norway. His father was a prominent farmer of his locality, and was a gentlemen of broad ideas, and gave his children the best educational advantages of the land. When our subject was seven years of age he was placed in a good school in the city and there he passed seven years, when he completed his studies and then shipped on a merchant sailing vessel of which his father was part owner, acting in the capacity of cabin boy. From this position he steadily and rapidly rose in rank, and at the age of twenty-four years he was a captain. He followed the sea ten years, and during the time he suffered shipwreck three times. The life of a sailor was not altogether desirable to him, and in 1882 he left the seas and spent the winter in England.. The following spring he decided to sail for America and here continue his life as a sailor on the great lakes, but upon his arrival in America he went to Minnesota in order to view the country, and was so favorably impressed with the possibilities of Kittson county that he changed his former plans and settled in the promising region, taking land under his homestead right. He had but little money, barely enough to pay the fees of filing his claim, and for the two winters following he worked in the woods. He settled permanently on his farm in 1885 and began the improvements of the place. He kept house alone for some years and developed a farm of six hundred acres. This is under a high state of cultivation, and is one of the fine properties of the township and is the result of Mr. Arveson's earnest endeavors. During his `years' residence in that region our subject has experienced many hardships, and he has passed through several severe blizzards, the most notable of which was in the fall of 1884, when he made a trip by ox team down from Tamarack swamp to his home in blinding storm, reaching his destination in the middle of the night after many hours of exposure.
Mr. Arveson was married, in 1898, to Miss Esther Olson, and one daughter, named Edna A. has been born to bless their home. Mr. Arveson is a member of the Lutheran church and is an exemplary citizen, who enjoys the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. He takes a hearty interest in the affairs of his township, and in 1896 was elected county commissioner for District No. 1, and is now prominently identified with the affairs of his county. He is a Republican politically, but does not seek public office.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore
BAKER George, Hallock. Judge of probate. Born Dec 3, 1861 in Visby, Sweden, son of George Anton and Hanna Caroline (Nordahl) Baker. Married Dec 4, 1894 to Mary Wiberg. Educated in high school Visby Sweden. First postmaster in Visby Kittson county Minn. Served for many years as deputy sheriff and deputy clerk Kittson county. Elected Judge of probate 1904 and re-elected 1906. Member I O G T, Yeomen, A O U W and I O O F.
Gustave Demars, M. D.
[Source: Album of Biography of the famous Valley of the Red River of the North and the Park Regions, 1889] mkk
GUSTAVE DEMARS, M. D., is the leading physician and surgeon of the town of Hallock, Kittson county, Minnesota. He was born in the Province of Namur, Belgium, December 2, 1835. His parents were J. B. and Victoria (Mathew) Demars, natives of Belgium.
The subject of our sketch lived with his parents until he attained his majority and was given the highest advantages for obtaining a thorough education. At the age of twenty-one years he turned his attention to teaching school and one year was spent in this line in his native land. He then came to the United States, stopping first at Chicago, Illinois, where he studied medicine for some time with Dr. Brainard. From Chicago he removed to Kankakee, same State, where he practiced medicine until 1869, returning in that year to Chicago, where he engaged in the practice of his profession and taught in the high school for two years. He was also appointed justice of the peace in 1879, and attended to the legal requirements of that office, beside the duties of his other professional work. He made his home in Chicago until 1883, when he removed to Fargo, Dakota Territory, and after a stay of two months went to Hallock, Kittson county, Minnesota. On going to Hallock he resumed the active practice of his profession, which he has continued ever since. In politics he was always a republican, and was instrumental in organizing political clubs through Illinois and Wisconsin from 1864 to 1880.
The Doctor was married at Kankakee, Illinois, August 28, 1863, to Miss Eliza Reeves, daughter of Narcissus and Sophia (Brunell) Reeves, natives of Canada. This marriage has been blessed with eight children - Lizzie Hayes, Stella, Gustave and Ralph. Those deceased were named Arthur, Nellie, Leida and Edwin.
Dr. Demars has occupied a prominent position socially, and in a business sense ever since his coming to Hallock. He is a man of strcjug individuality, and exerts a strong influence among his fellows. He is thoroughly educated, highly proficient in his profession, genial and sociable, and has built up a large practice, which covers a territory including Crookston on the south and Winnipeg on the extreme north. He makes a specialty of female diseases, and has performed many difficult operations, besides bringing about many remarkable cures. While in Kankakee, Illinois, he held the position of postmaster, and was one of the supervisors of the county in which he lived. In Chicago he was a justice of the peace, and, since coming to Hallock has been president of the village council, and also county coroner. He owns a fine residence in the village.
Founder of Forest and Stream and of Hallock, Minn., calls on old Yale Friend, Judge Atwater.
Charles Hallock is in town (Minneapolis) at the Hampshire Arms. He has just come from Southern California after spending the winter there; called on Judge Isaac Atwater, who used to be his private tutor in New Haven, Conn., in 1842, when the judge was a Senior in Yale college. The two old friends were glad to meet. Mr. Hallock is getting along in years himself, being in his 72d year, he is best known as the founder of Forest and Stream in 1873. He also founded the town of Hallock, in Kittson county, Minnesota, in 1879, with John Swanson. He came to Minnesota as long ago as 1858, not very many years after Judge Atwater located here, and bought a block of lots in Belden & Young's addition to the city of Hastings. That same year Mr. Hallock made the trip to the Red river in company with General C. C. Andrews, Aleck Kinkaid and George Brott, and wrote the "Red River Trail" for Harper's Magazine, in two chapters, illustrated. It helped much to draw immigration to Minnesota. Mr. Hallock is now here looking after some property which he has carried for twenty-three years. The real estate men are helping him to unload, tho they would advise him to hold for a rise if he was a younger man, as there is a general seismic movement palpable. Perhaps he will keep a part of his real estate. Mr. Hallock is being entertained by numerous friends, who congratulate him on carrying his added years so lightly.
[The Minneapolis journal., May 17, 1905, Page 6 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
Norman Wolfred Kittson
[Source: Minnesota Geographic Names: their Origin and Historic Significance, By Warren Upham, 1920 - KT - Sub. by a FoFG] It was named in honor of Norman Wolfred Kittson, one of the leading pioneers of the territory and state. He was born in Sorel, Canada, March 5, 1814; came to the area that afterward was Minnesota in 1834, and during four years was engaged in the sutler's department at Fort Snelling; was later a fur trader on his own account, and became manager for the American Fur Company in northern Minnesota; engaged in transportation business, at Fort Snelling, Pembina, and St. Paul; was a member of the territorial legislature, 1851-55, and mayor of St. Paul, 1858; became director of steamboat traffic on the Red river for the Hudson Bay Company, in 1864; and established a line of steamers and barges known as the Red River Transportation Company, whence he was often called "Commodore." He died suddenly, May 11, 1888, on a railway train in his journey of return to Minnesota from the east. The Catholic Cathedral in St. Paul is built on the site of his home.
Source: Compendium of History, and Biography of Northern Minnesota, 1902, George A Ogle & Co., page 241; submitted by Robin Line
Among the successful self-made men of Kittson county may be truly noted Peter Lindahl. He came to the new world from his mother's country when he was but a mere boy, and since his residence here has displayed an enterprising spirit and the exercise of good judgement in a manner that commends him to all as a worthy citizen. He now resides in section 11, township 160, range 50, in the civil township of Red River, and is one of the prosperous farmers of his locality. He went to that region as a pioneer and has accumulated a fine property and now possesses a section of land, all of which he carefully and successfully operates. Mr. Lindahl has closely applied himself to the study of his calling, and he is well versed in the same and possesses what years of experience teach to the observing only.
Our subject was born in Sweden November 28, 1859, and was the second child and eldest son born to John and Cecelia (Peterson) Lindahl. His parents came to America in 1870 and established their home on a farm in Goodhue county, Minnesota. At the age of eleven years our subject crossed the ocean alone, and he was reared in Goodhue county, Minnesota. He went to Kittson county, Minnesota, in the spring of 1882, in company with J. G. Lindgren, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. He lived with Mr. Lindgren until 1890. The residence now occupied by our subject was established in 1890, and the partnership was then dissolved. Mr. Lindahl has since followed farming alone, and the present well cultivated and will improved estate bears testimony to his labors there. He has erected good farm buildings and furnished abundant shelter for stock and produce, and the best patterns of machinery for the careful garnering disposing of the grains and other products of the farm.
Our subject was married, in 1891, to Miss Ida Sandberg, one of the earliest pioneers of Kittson county. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lindahl, who are named in order of birth as follows: Esther, Nora, Florence, Arthur and Minnie. Upon their marriage Mrs. Lindahl was installed as mistress of a new dwelling which our subject had erected, and there their lives have been passed since in peace and contentment. There their children have been born and reared, and there amid the comforts of a happy household and home our subject has seen his fortunes and reputation expand and broaden, and has experienced the first real comforts of a home-the home so happily dedicated and around which so many pleasant memories cluster. Mr. Lindahl is devoted to the interests of his community in public matters, and in 1896 was elected county commissioner for the second district. He was one of the early day leaders of the populist party and assisted in its organization in Kittson county, and is now a member of the county central committee of that party. He is a member of the Swedish Lutheran church, and is an exemplary citizen in whom the people repose confidence.
Duluth News-Tribune, dated November 29, 1904; submitted by Denise Hansen
After Losing Her All, Mrs. Moire Follows Her Children To Madhouse
News Tribune Special: Hallock, Minn., Nov. 28 - Her two children in the insane asylum, her husband dead and her money gone, Mrs. Mary Moire, once a well-to-do woman, has now gone mad. She was yesterday taken to the hospital for the insane at Fergus Falls by Sheriff O. J. Anderson.
Ten years ago, Mrs. Moire was envied by half the women in Kittson county. She had a husband who was devoted to her, a home more than comfortable, and two very promising children. Mr. Moire died, however, and through the sharp practice of a trusted friend, the widow lost most of her money. Still, she was happy. She had her children left, growing into fine man and womanhood.
But the children turned out to be degenerates of the worst type. There were few vices they did not practice, and before either came of age, both were in the madhouse, and Mrs. Moire was left alone in a cabin on the outskirts of town. She mourned herself first sick and then crazy.
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse
The name which stands at the head of this sketch is that of the mayor of Hastings, a broad-minded, public-spirited man, jealous of the reputation of the city which he represents, and deserving of credit for the efficient an able manner in which he has conducted its affairs. George Parker was born in the village of Pakenham, Ontario, in 1849. He lived with his parents until twenty-six years of age, in the meantime acquiring a good, liberal education, and also spending considerable of his time in work on the farm. In 1875 he engaged in the mercantile business in the province of Manitoba, but removed to St. Vincent, Minnesota, in 1878, where he established himself in the livery business. In 1882 Mr. Parker again engaged in farming in Pembina, North Dakota, but the following year he entered upon the business of railroad contracting and building. The first contract was on the Canadian Pacific westward from Winnipeg. After the completion of that line he obtained a contract in Iowa on the extension of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul from Cedar Rapids to Ottumwa. In the fall or 1884 he built small portion of the then Minnesota Northwestern, now the Chicago-Great Western railroad. It was about this time that he located in Hastings, where he has since resided. Mr. Parker is a Republican in politics, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs. In the spring of 1895 he was elected mayor of Hastings on the Republican ticket, and re-elected in 1896. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. He is a member of the Baptist church, and was married April 20, 1875, at Pakenham, Ontario to Miss Mary M. Hemenway. Two children have been born to them, Mary Maud and Dora May, of whom the former is deceased. Mr. Parker's parents were of Irish extraction, born in the North of Ireland. His father, George Parker, came to Ontario when but a boy, locating of Perth, where he learned the cooper's trade. He subsequently conducted a large coopering establishment at Pakenham with satisfactory financial results. He was a strong supporter of the Reform party and an active participant in public affairs. His wife, the mother of George Parker, was Miss Abalinda Eliza Toughey, who emigrated with her parents from Ireland to Quebec in her childhood. Later she became a resident of Perth, where she was married. Mayor Parker, of Hastings, is an ardent advocate of temperance principles and a total abstainer himself, and has not only done much to encourage the virtue of temperance in the city over which he presides, but he has also done much to attract capital and build up the commercial interests of that community.
Rev. Sven Gustaf Swenson
[Source: Album of Biography of the famous Valley of the Red River of the North and the Park Regions, 1889] mkk
REV.SVEN GUSTAF SWENSON is the present superintendent of schools of Kittson county, Minnesota. He was born in Hjortsberga, Smaland, Sweden, June 10, 1859.
Mr. Swenson's parents were Magnus and Lisa (Johnson) Swenson, both natives of Sweden. The father was a farmer by occupation, and continued in the same business after he came to the United States in 1875. They settled in Sparta township, Kent county, Michigan, where the father and mother are still living.
The subject of our sketch was about sixteen years of age when his parents came to America, and he had had up to this time the best of educational advantages in the common schools of his native land. At nineteen years of age he entered the Augustana College and Theological Seminary at Rock Island, Illinois, and graduated in both college and seminary. He graduated from the college in 1884, and from the seminary in 1886. Being thus thoroughly equipped for the preaching of the divine word, he was ordained as a minister of the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod. He then came to Kittson county Minnesota, and took charge of three congregations - Red River, Saron and Emmaus - continuing in this relation for two and one-half years. In 1887 he organized a church in Hallock, which, with the church at Saron, comprises his whole church work. In November, 1888, Mr. Swenson was elected superintendent of schools of Kittson county, a position he is well prepared to fill. Rev. Mr. Swenson is a power of influence among the people with whom he labors, and his intellectual and theological training make him a powerful defender of the tenets of his religious faith. He is a man of broad and tender sympathies, and is held in high esteem by all who know him.
Matthias A. Thorfinnson
Source: A history of Goodhue County, Minnesota Red Wing, Minn.: C. A. Rasmussen, 1935 - KT - Sub by FoFG
County Agricultural agent, Goodhue County. Was born July 10, 1893. Married Olga J. Ross of Kalispell, Mont., to which union were born two children, Doris and Ross. Was graduated 1917, from the North Dakota Agricultural college with degree of S. B. County agent Montana, 1914-1924, also in Kittson county, Minn., past six years in this county. Member Masonic lodge in Red Wing, also of La Grange Chapter, Royal Arch Masons and of Epsilon Sigma Phi fraternity, denomination: New Theology Icelandic church.
Dasher A. Woodworth
[Source: Album of Biography of the famous Valley of the Red River of the North and the Park Regions, 1889] mkk
DASHER A. WOODWORTH is the proprietor of one of the leading hotels in Hallock, Kittson county, Minnesota. He was born in Rochester. Minnesota, January 27, 1859.
Mr. Woodworth's parents were J. C. and R. J. (McKnight) Woodworth. The father was a native of New York, and the mother a native of West Virginia. In an early day the parents came to Minnesota, where they lived until 1860, at which time they removed to Iowa. They are now living in Sioux City.
The subject of our sketch remained with his parents during his early life, attending district school. In 1862 he went with his parents to Decorah, Iowa, and lived with them in that place until they removed to Sioux City in 1869. In tlie spring of 1877 he went to the Black Hills and engaged in freighting between Fort Pierre and Deadwood City, which business he followed until May, 1880. At that time he came to Fergus Falls, Minnesota, bringing with him three teams. During that fall and winter he worked at various kinds of employment, and in the spring went to work on the railroad from Wadena to Breckenridge. He followed the railroad business until November, 1881, when he removeil to Pelican Rapids, Minnesota, where he engaged in business for some time; then engaged in the livery business for about a year, after which he was employed at hauling brick and at different kinds of labor. In 1885 he went to Argyle, remaining there but a short time. March 1, 1886, he went to Hallock, Minnesota, where he at once engaged in the hotel business and at which he has continued ever since.
Mr. Woodwortli was married in Pelican Rapids, November 15, 1883, to Miss Emma Bruestle, daughter of Conrad and Rosa Bruestle, natives of Germany. One child has blessed this union - Clifford A.
In politics Mr. Woodworth affiliates with the republican party, he is a man of excellent business principles, and holds the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens. His hotel is one of the best the town affords, and his many guests all speak in the highest terms of praise of his excellent qualities as a hotel proprietor.
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 890; transcribed by FoFG mz
YOUNUGREN, OSCAR, b. in Wisconsin, May 1, 1863; came to Kittson county, Minn., in 1880, and was sheriff, 1889-98; resided in Hallock.