Welcome to Lake County
Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing
genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers.
This website is available for adoption!
We're looking for folks who share our dedication
to keeping Genealogy free and are interested in helping this project be as successful as we can make it.
If you are interested in joining our group
by hosting one of the available county websites, view our Volunteer Page for further information about us.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage
DONATE YOUR DATA!
We welcome any information you may wish to provide
for the free research of others.
So, dust off those old scrapbooks you have in your attic, dig out those old newspapers, or anything else you feel
is of interest to this County, and send them our way. We are looking for obituaries, newspaper stories, biographies,
Birth, Death and Marriage records, as well as interesting newspaper tidbits from years gone past - the items YOU
used to put together your family trees. If you have information that you'd like to share with us on the history
of this county and its people, please SEND IT TO US and we'll make sure it gets posted online.
We regret that we are
unable to perform personal research for you.
All data we come across is added
to this site, so please keep checking back!
Founded on Feb. 20, 1855 as Superior County and immediately had its name changed a couple of weeks later on March
3, 1855 to St. Louis County. A year later on March 1, 1856, St. Louis County became Lake County while Newton County
to the west was renamed St. Louis County.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans, the area had long been inhabited by Native American groups. The principal Native
American groups in the region were the Dakota (Sioux) and Ojibwe (also called Anishinabe or Chippewa). The economy
of these groups was based on hunting, fishing and gathering, with wild rice being of particular importance. The
first Europeans to explore the area were the French in the late 17th century, who were followed by trappers, fur
traders, missionaries, and explorers. Beaver Bay was the first city in Lake County in 1855. (wikipedia)
* Beaver Bay * Silver Bay * Two Harbors
* Beaver Bay * Crystal Bay * Fall Lake * Silver Creek * Stony River
* Alger * Castle Danger * Cramer * Darby Junction * East Beaver Bay * Finland * Highland (Marcy)
* Illgen City * Isabella * Knife River * Larsmont * Lauren * Lax Lake * Little Marais * McNair
* Murphy City * Norshore Junction * Sawbill Landing * Section Thirty * Silver Creek * Stewart
* Toimi * Waldo * Wales * York
* Avon * Avoy * Beaver * Britton * Buell * Case * Clark * Crystal * Drummond * Eclfo * Emetta
* Fernburg Tower * Forest Center * Freedom * Green * Greenwood Junction * Howlett * Jordan
* Kent * London * Malmota (Marmata) * Maple * Marble Lake * Moose * Morris * Murfin
* Nigadoo * North Branch * Riblet * Scott Junction * Section Thirty Mine * Silver * Splitrock
* Stafford * Summit * Swift * Thomas * Waldo Junction * Wanless * Westover * Whyte * Wolf
* Lake No. 1 * Lake No. 2
Church Histories / Records
| Website Updates:
Jan. 2013: Obits: Anderson, Belland, Harris, Johnson, Moses, Strom, Sullivan, Warner
Marriages: Bissill - Baline; Coughlin - McDonald; Dorsey - Moulton; Magnuson - Nordskog; Martin - Glover; Miller - Flynn; Nystrom - Johnson; Strom - Elving; Weatherby - Pepin; Zavitz - Temple
Oct. 2012: Obit: Norlen
August 2012: Obit: Sullivan
July 2012: Bio: Bryan
June 2012: Obits: Cable, Herbert, Holm, Latta
May 2012: Bio: Barton
Apr. 2012: Bio: Dwan
Mar. 2012: 1860 Mortality Index
Feb. 2012: WW2 Army Honor List
Dec 2011: Marriage Announcements for GRIFFIN-CAREY; DORSEY-MOULTON; REIGART-MOULTON; RUST-GRIFFIN; WATERHOUSE-GRIFFIN;
SCHREINER-GRIFFIN; Party news for MOULTON; obits for MOULTON
Index to 1860 and 1870 Federal Census; Transcription of 1865 State Census
SEARCH OUR SITES
Join our Genealogy Trails Upper Midwestern States Mailing List
to get email notices when our county sites are updated.
For the Upper Midwest States of :
North Dakota -- South Dakota -- Minnesota -- Wisconsin -- Michigan
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.