William J. Anderson
Source: Compendium of History and Biography, Transcribed by Christi Boyer
WILLIAM J. ANDERSON, ex-receiver of United States land office, of Grand Forks, is now engaged in the practice of law in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and is one of the able and well-known attorneys of the state. He is a native of Canada and was born in Elgin county, May 20, 1854.
The parents of our subject, William and Jane (Plowman) Anderson, were both natives of Canada and the father was a shoe dealer and maker and died in Ontario.
Our subject is the only son and was reared and educated in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, going there with his mother, and in 1862, on account of the Indian troubles in Minnesota, they removed to St. Paul, where Mrs. Anderson attended the public schools. He followed various callings until 1875, when he came to Grand Forks, North Dakota, as agent for the Red River Transportation Company and the following year was elected justice of the peace and continued with the transportation company until 1879 and the following year was appointed receiver of the land office. He opened the office April 20, 1880, and worked in that capacity eight years and then began the study of law and was admitted to the bar about 1887. He was elected county auditor in 1888 and served four years and was an efficient and popular public official. He was elected mayor of Grand Forks in 1890, and served two years and he always proved himself worthy the confidence placed in him by the people. He has a good business in the practice of his profession and his integrity and knowledge of his calling entitle him to a high station as a professional man and citizen.
Our subject was married, in 1879, to Josephine Russell, a native of Wisconsin. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, named Raymond G. and Virginia E. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar, and he also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias, of which order he is deputy grand chancellor. Politically, he is a Republican and has been identified with the movements of that party during his entire career. He has been president of the Old Settlers' Association of the Red river valley, and is one of the best known citizens of the state.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore
BABCOCK Charles W, Kasota. Quarry owner and banker. Born July 12, 1856 in Kasota Minn, son of Joseph W and Mary E (Moulton) Babcock. Married March 23, 1883 to Marion Stark of Mankato Minn. Educated in common schools Kasota Minn and business college La Crosse Wis. First engaged in telegraphy and station work until 1881; in express office 1882; now head of C W Babcock & Co est 1883, quarries and stone saw mill. V pres Nicollet County Bank St Peter; pres First State Bank Kasota; dir Mankato State Bank Mankato. Member Kasota School Board 20 years. Member B P O E and K of P.
George A. Bangs
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller
GEORGE A. BANGS. Among the younger professional men of Grand Forks county, North Dakota, who are rapidly attaining prominence, may be mentioned Mr. Bangs, of Grand Forks. He is a gentleman of good education, energetic and progressive, and enjoys the highest esteem of his fellowmen. His success has been unbounded since taking up the practice of law, and he has built up a large and remunerative practice and is one of the substantial citizens of that city.
Our subject was born in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, November 1, 1867, and was a son of Alfred W. and Sarah D. (Plowman) Bangs. A brother of our subject, Tracy R. Bangs, is also well known in North Dakota, and a sketch of his life appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. Bangs was reared and educated in his native county and attended the high school, and studied law first in his father s office, and in 1882 went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, as a clerk in the land office. He also held a claim to land in that vicinity and remained in the land office until 1892. He then spent two years in the study of law in the office of Tracy R. Bangs and C. J. Fisk, and was admitted to practice in the fall of 1893. He had purchased an interest in the above named firm, and after being admitted to the bar remained with them until July, 1895, when Tracy R. Bangs retired from the firm, and it then existed as George A. Bangs and C. J. Fisk until Judge Fisk was chosen for the bench. Mr. Bangs was appointed city attorney in 1896, and is now serving in that capacity. He was elected state s attorney for the Grand Forks county in 1898 and is acting in that office.
Our subject was married, in 1889, to Miss Maria A. Griggs, a niece of Captain Griggs, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this volume. Mrs. Bangs died March 10, 1891. Mr. Bangs was married in North Dakota to Miss Xenia Gilbreath, a native of that state. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and at present is grand chancellor of the state. He also holds membership in the Order of Elks. Politically he is a Democrat, and is firm in his convictions, but takes little part in political movements. He is one of the learned members of his profession, and is deservedly popular with the people.
History of Rice County, Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. (1882) Submitted by Veneta McKinney
BENNETT, THOMAS was born in Licking county, Ohio, on the 7th of October, 1816, and resided there until the age of twenty -two years. He then, in the spring of 1839, moved to Indiana, where he married Miss Sarah Baker, the event taking place on the 8th of May, 1846. In 1863, they came to Morristown and two years later moved to Le Sueur county, where Mr. Bennett was a member of the board of Supervisors and Treasurer of his school district. In 1873, he returned to Morristown and bought land in section six, where he has built up a comfortable home. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have had eleven children, seven of whom are living.
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson
CADWELL Francis, Le Sueur. Lawyer. Born May 28, 1842 in Ohio, son of Edward and Sarah (Demon) Cadwell. Married Mar 19, 1867 to Sarah Matthews. Graduated from Hillsdale (Mich) college 1860; studied law at N W Christian Univ Indianapolis and in law office. Admitted to bar 1863. Moved to Le Sueur 1864 and has been engaged in the practice of his profession to date. Has served as county atty, supt of schools, county comnr, city clk, city atty and judge of Dist court 1891-1905. Member Masonic fraternity.
Florence Andrews Clayton
American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow
CLAYTON, Mrs. Florence Andrews, opera singer, born near Le Sueur, Minn., in 1862. She is the ninth child of Rev. Mr. Andrews, one of the pioneer Methodist ministers of Minnesota. At that time Le Sueur was well out on the western frontier, and most of the settlers of that region abandoned their homes and crowded into St. Peter during the Indian outbreak. The Andrews family stuck to their farm near the little village. Two of the older sons entered the army of defense against the Indians and were in the battle of New Ulm. Both Mr. Andrews and his wife were natural, though untrained musicians, and all of their ten children, known as the Andrews Family, inherited musical ability. In 1876 Miss Andrews, then fourteen years of age, went upon the stage with her brothers and sisters for their first year with the "Swiss Bells.'' They played in Minnesota and adjoining States, making trips southward as far as the southern border of the Indian Territory. She has since then been continually before the public, except for longer or shorter vacations. She became the wife of Fred Clayton, of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1883, who is also with the present Andrews Opera Company. They have two sons. The musical culture of Mrs. Clayton has been received mostly by instruction from and association with some of the most competent vocal artists of the country, while she has been traveling and working with them. She has thus obtained that thorough and practical knowledge of her art which can be secured in no other way. Her repertoire consists of forty operas, tragic and comic. She is not only an excellent vocalist, but also a fine actor, with a natural adaptation to dramatic parts. Her voice is a contralto.
William A. Clement
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger
CLEMENT William A. Waseca. Editor and publisher. Born Feb 13, 1870 in Waseca County Minn. Son of Henry S and Nellie (Wilcox) Clement. Married in 1898 to Hilda C Ranke of Waseca Minn. Educated in the public and high schools Waseca Minn graduating in 1889. Located in Waterville Minn and learned printer’s trade; worked in printing office in Albert Lea, Austin and Lake Benton 1889-94; purchased Annandale (Minn) Post 1894 and published same 1 year; worked at Ellendale N D for short period; returned to Waseca 1885 and was employed at his trade; purchased half interest in Waseca Journal and conducted same under firm name of W A Clement & Co which was succeeded by the Waseca Journal-Radical Ptg Co. of which he became mngr. merging the Journal and Radical newspapers. Purchased entire stock of this company and has been sole owner and publisher to date. Served for 3 years in M N G. Member State Editorial Assn; commercial Club; Masonic Fraternity and K O T M.
John M. Cochrane
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Janice Louie
JOHN M. COCHRANE. In compiling a list of the prominent attorneys of a state as large as North Dakota it is difficult to determine who stands in the foremost place, but it is a well-known fact that the gentleman above named is among those who have done efficient and faithful service for that state, and he is entitled to mention as a public-spirited and progressive member of the bar. He is practicing law at Grand Forks, and has been called upon to serve in many other ways since taking up his residence in North Dakota.
Mr. Cochrane was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1859, and is the son of James and Caroline A. (McDowell) Cochrane. They were natives of Ireland and Pennsylvania respectively, and his father was president of the Erie Academy of Erie, Pennsylvania. He went to Faribault, Minnesota, in 1862, and there entered the ministry of the Presbyterian church, and followed that calling many years. He was a tutor in Queen's College, Belfast, Ireland, and on coming to America in 1850 took a course in Princeton College, during which time he made his home in Erie. He now resides in Minneapolis, and is the father of three sons and one daughter, our subject and his sister the only ones now living. The mother died in 1895. She was the daughter of a well-known physician of Pennsylvania.
John M. Cochrane was reared and educated in Minneapolis, where he attended the public schools, and in 1875 entered the State University, remaining there until 1879, when he entered the University of Michigan, and soon afterward entered the law department and graduated from that institution in 1881. In that yer he was admitted to practice law in Minnesota, and established himself at Le Seuer, Minnesota, where he remained but a short time, going from thence to Madelia, Minnesota, where he formed a partnership with Frank James, which continued until March, 1883, when our subject came to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and soon became associated with Woodruff & Bangs. Later Mr Cochrane and Mr. Bangs formed a partnership, and remained in company until 1884, when our subject was elected probate judge, and served three years in this capacity. He then resigned and was appointed district attorney in 1887 to fill an unexpired term, after which he was elected to that office for one term, keeping up his practice in the meantime.
Our subject was married, in 1884, to Miss Francis Merrill, a native of Indiana. Mr. Cochrane is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has served on the board of regents of the State University, and also as trustee of the Normal School at Mayville, to which office he was appointed by Governor Miller. Politically he has adhered to the principles of the Republican party since his majority, and was chairman of the first state convention of that party, and has taken an active interest in Republican politics in North Dakota for many years.
Carson N. Cosgrove
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger
COSGROVE Carson N, Le Sueur. Hardware. Born Nov 22, 1853 in Westfield N Y, son of Robert and Grace Shaw Cosgrove. Married in 1873 to Elizabeth Bradley. Educated in public and high schools Westfield N Y. Moved to Le Sueur 1871 and engaged in live stock business; added hardware and formed partnership with brother under firm name of The Cosgrove Co 1887. Has served as mayor of Le Sueur; pres and member Minn State Agricultural Society.
Charles H. Covey
Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler
Charles H. Covey, a prominent contractor and builder of Grand Junction, who has been largely engaged in that business at various places and has erected a number of imposing and costly buildings, was born at Ottawa, Lesueur county, Minnesota, on July 5, 1857, and is the son of John H. and Anna E. (Wilson) Covey, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Ohio. They were among the pioneers of Lesueur county, Minnesota, where they married in 1855. The father built and for a number of years conducted a hotel at Ottawa in the early days, and later engaged in merchandising at Cleveland. In 1862 he removed his family to Hutchinson and they were there when the Indian massacre occurred, the home being burned soon after the family fled. Their neighbors all around them were killed, but they escaped without injury but with scarcely anything in the way of worldly possessions except the clothing they had on. In 1863 the father enlisted in the Union army as a member of Company I, Eleventh Minnesota Infantry, in which he served to the close of the Civil war. He is now living at Camp Supply, Oklahoma, and conducting a hotel. The mother died in northwestern Iowa in 1872. There were nine children in the family, four of whom are living. Charles was the first born and passed his early life in Minnesota, being thirteen years old when the family moved to Iowa, and nineteen when the change to Kansas was made. He lived at Beloit, Kansas, five years, and in his various places of residence received a common-school education. At the age of fifteen he began to learn his trade as a carpenter, at which he worked until 1876, when he engaged in contract work, carrying it on five years in Hamilton county, Kansas, and in the Arkansas valley in eastern Colorado. During this time he had contracts amounting to three hundred and sixty-five thousand dollars, among them one for the erection of an opera house at Coolidge, Kansas, at a cost of forty-eight thousand dollars. In 1891 he was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad to build a round house at Denver, and from the time of its completion until 1895 he lived at Harper, Kansas, then came to Grand Junction, where he has since resided and carried on an extensive and profitable business in his chosen line, contracting and building, putting up residences and business blocks principally, his operations aggregating about thirty-five thousand dollars a year. In 1878 he was married to Miss Lucy Fowler, a native of Vinton, Iowa, by whom he had one child, his daughter Bessie, now the wife of F.H. Lescher, of Los Angeles, California. Mrs. Covey died in 1881 at Vinton, Iowa, and in 1883 he married a second wife, Miss Lizzie Bollway, a native of Illinois, the marriage taking place at Van Horn, Iowa. They have two children, Charles L., now twenty years old and a carpenter at Los Angeles, California, and Ruth, aged nine. In politics the father is a Republican and takes an active interest in the affairs of his party. He has served two terms as alderman at Grand Junction and in a similar capacity at other places where he has resided. He was also county surveyor of Hamilton county, Kansas, two years, and was mayor of Coolidge, in that state, when he lived there. In fraternal relations he belongs to all branches of Odd Fellowship, the Modern Woodmen of America, the United Workmen, the Knights of the Golden Eagle and the Order of Washington. He and his wife are members of the Congregational church.
Melvin P. Curtis
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler
CURTIS Melvin P, Le Sueur. Livery. Born Oct 30, 1851 in Pennsylvania, son of Lorenzo and Jane M (Lewis) Curtis. Married Nov 28, 1887 to Emma Andrews. Educated in public schools. First engaged as driller and contr in oil fields of Pennsylvania 1869-75. Moved to Le Sueur county Minn 1880 and was engaged with the Cosgrove Live Stock Co until 1885; then established livery and drayage business for self 1885-1907; organized Le Sueur Ice Co 1892 and was its pres until his withdrawal 1906. Served 6 years in Pennsylvania state militia. Chairman county commission 1900 to date. Former member State Board of Equalization and city council. Member Masonic fraternity, K of P, I O O F and M W A.
Franklin A. Dodge
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler
DODGE Franklin A, Le Sueur. Physician (R). Born Oct 11, 1862 in Beetown Wis, son of John and Catherine E (Perrin) Dodge. Married Dec 31, 1890 to Alma M Poehler. Educated in public schools Bloomington Wis; Univ N Y City Medical College 1886. Has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Le Sueur to date. Pres Farmers State Bank; member American Medical Assn; Minnesota State, Minn Valley and Nicollet and Le Sueur County Medical societies.
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks
EVANS Daniel Harvey, Minneapolis. Res 3200 Park av, office 309-311 Andrus bldg. Insurance. Born Jan 30, 1862 in Cleveland Minn, son of David and Mary (Phillips) Evans. Married Sept. 11, 1889 to Margaret Owens. Educated in the public schools and normal school Mankato. Studied law in S D and admitted to the bar 1888. Taught schools for a time then engaged in real estate and loan business in S D and Minneapolis. N W mngr Continental Casualty Co 1898 to date. Member I O O F.
Hon. H. Howard Flowers
Source: History of Nicollet and LeSueur Counties Minnesota, Hon. William G. Gresham, Volume II, 1916; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
The Hon. H. Howard Flowers, representative in the lower house of the Minnesota General Assembly from the twenty-seventh district and speaker of the House in the session of 1915, president of the First State Bank of Cleveland, LeSueur county, for seventeen years postmaster of that village and for many years one of the leading merchants of Cleveland, is a native of that same district, having been born on a pioneer farm there on September 11, 1865, son of William A. and Margaret (Jones) Flowers, the former of whom was born in Champaign county, Ohio, in 1832, and died in Pennsylvania in April, 1915, and the latter, born in Wales in 1840, died at her home in Cleveland, LeSueur county, in 1882, both of whom were pioneers of LeSueur county.
William A. Flowers was the son of Charles and Margaret (Rhodes) Flowers, the former a native of New York state and the latter a native of New Jersey, born in 1808, who died in 1892. Charles Flowers was a farmer and merchant, and he and his wife were the parents of five children, three sons and two daughters, whom they reared in the faith of the Methodist church. William A. Flowers received a classical education in that sterling old Methodist institution, Asbury College, now DePauw University, at Greencastle, Indiana, and became a school teacher. After teaching a while in Indiana he came to Minnesota in 1856 and located at Ottawa, in LeSueur county, where he taught school for several years, spending his summers on farms in that neighborhood. He was married in 1859 and taught but a few winters thereafter, devoting the remainder of the active years of his life to the development of his extensive farming interests in Cleveland township, having been one of the most substantial landowners and influential residents of that neighborhood. Mr. Flowers was a Republican and ever took an active interest in local political affairs, serving his township very usefully in several official capacities. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at St. Peter and for years took an active part in the affairs of that order. He and his wife were faithful members and influential workers in the Methodist church, he having been a trustee of the church for many years, and their six children, Ella, William, Howard, John, Dora and May, all of whom are living, were reared in that faith. Following the death of his wife, in 1882, Mr. Flowers spent much time in the East, in and about the place of his birth, and his death occurred in Pennsylvania in 1915, he then being eighty-three years of age.
H. Howard Flowers received his elementary education in the district school in the neighborhood of his boyhood home in Cleveland township, supplementing the same by attendance at the high school at St. Peter, upon completing which course he entered a business college at Fayette, Ohio, from which he was graduated in 1886. Upon his return from college Mr. Flowers began teaching school in LeSueur county and was thus engaged until 1889, in which year he engaged in the agricultural implement business at Cleveland, which business he presently merged into a general hardware and general merchandise business, which he continued with much success until 1913, when he sold his store. In the meantime, in 1902, the First State Bank of Cleveland was organized and Mr. Flowers was elected first president of that institution, a position which he has occupied ever since that time, long having been regarded as one of the leading bankers in this part of the state. In addition to his extensive banking and other interests in and about Cleveland, Mr. Flowers is the owner of eleven hundred and fifty acres of land in LeSueur county and Canada and is regarded as being very well circumstanced.
Even from the days of his youth Howard Flowers has given his most thoughtful and intelligent attention to political affairs hereabout. As a Republican he early became one of the acknowledged leaders of that party in LeSueur county and his excellent judgment and thorough acquaintance with local conditions gave much weight to his counsels in the deliberations of the party managers. His first public service was as village recorder at Cleveland, a position which he held for eight years, rendering excellent service in that capacity. For ten years he was clerk of the local school board, in which position he was enabled to do much toward elevating the standards of education in his home village. He was actively interested in the consolidation of the Cleveland township schools in the school now at Cleveland.
Under President McKinley's first administration, Mr. Flowers was appointed postmaster of Cleveland and for seventeen years held that position, his service in that connection ever having been satisfactory to the patrons of that office. In 1912 Mr. Flowers was elected representative from the twenty-seventh Minnesota legislative district and served with distinction in the lower house of the General Assembly during the session of 1913. In 1914 Representative Flowers was re-elected and the fine record which he had made during the preceding session, coupled with his universal personal popularity among the other members of the House, made him the logical choice of that body for speaker of the House when the 1915 session convened. Speaker Flowers performed a signal service in behalf of the state of Minnesota during the period of his service as presiding officer of the House of Representatives and became at once a personage of state-wide importance, his firm rulings on numerous questions of vital concern to the people and his vigorous grasp of the basic principles underlying certain issues of large import that were raised during that session, attracting attention even beyond the confines of the state; his official course earning for him not only the unbounded confidence of the people but their warm gratitude, and it is hardly too much to say that Representative Flowers occupies a place in the hearts of the people of the state second to none other.
In 1889 H. Howard Flowers was united in marriage to Mary Diller, daughter of John and Sarah (VanAntwerp) Diller, prominent residents of this section of the state, and to this union four children have been born, as follow: Frances, who married William Lloyd; Frank, cashier of the First State Bank of Cleveland, and Gladys and Harry, who are in high school. The Flowers have a beautiful home in the village of Cleveland and take a leading part in all social and cultural activities in that community, being held in the highest esteem by all thereabout. Mr. Flowers is a Mason and a member of the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen, in the affairs of both of which orders he takes a warm interest.
Michael W. Grimes
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos
GRIMES Michael W, Le Sueur. Editor and Publisher. Born Sept 21, 1861 in Minn, son of Edward and Margaret (McGovern) Grimes. Married Sept 22, 1886 to Belle E Diener. Educated in the public and high schools of Minn and academic dept U of M. Engaged as trav salesman for 5 years. Moved to Le Sueur and since 1895 has been editor and publisher of the Le Sueur News. Sec and dir of Le Sueur Telephone Co.
Edward C. Haga
Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Richard Ramos
HAGA Edward C, Le Sueur. Banker. Born Juy 17, 1876 in Luverne Minn, son of O O and Julia (Olson) Haga. Married Nov 17, 1899 to Gertrude Van Epps. Engaged in farming until 1894 and then attended colleges in Dixon Ills and Valparaiso Ind. Engaged in banking 187; organized First State Bank Crystal lake la 1898; organzed and was cashr of First Nat Bank Crystal Lake la 1900; moved to Le Sueur and organized Farmers State Bank 1905 and is cashr of same. Member Minn Valley Realty & Exchange Co.
William H. Harrier
HISTORY OF RENVILLE COUNTY MINNESOTA Vol. 1, by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge Published by H. C. Cooper Jr, & Co., Chicago (1916) Submitted by Veneta McKinney
WILLIAM M. HARRIER was born in Lesueur county, Minnesota, September 5, 1861, son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Tolan) Harrier. Alexander was a native of Ohio and of English and German ancestry and his wife was of Irish descent. He came to Minnesota before the Civil war and located in Lesueur county, where he made his home until his death in 1903 at the age of sixty-two years. His wife died seven weeks later at the age of fifty-eight years. There were seven children : William, Mary (deceased), Margaret, Emma, James, Alexander and Elizabeth. William Harrier was the oldest of the children and received his early education in the district school. At the age of nineteen years he began working for himself and in 1889 moved to Renville county and located in Preston Lake township in section 5, obtaining a tract of 160 acres of wild prairie land. Here he built a frame house and a frame barn with straw roof. He had two cows and $2.50 in cash. He lived on this place for eighteen years and built good buildings, then he moved to his present place, where he secured a tract of 240 acres. He keeps a good grade of stock. Mr. Harrier was married November, 1887, to Mamie Bankson born in Belleplaine, Minnesota, January 20, 1860, daughter of Andrew and Mary Bankson, both natives of Sweden, who came to the United States in 1856 by sailing vessel, being three months on the ocean, bringing with them their three children : Lewis, Katie and August. They came to Carver county and located on a farm, where they lived for a number of years, their first home being a log house with a bark roof. The following children were born in Minnesota: Charlie, Mamie, Frank, Delpha, Enoch, Emil and Waltimer. The father was a veteran of the Civil war and took part in the Indian campaign and was wounded at Gettysburg. He died at Gaylord, Minnesota, twenty years ago, at the age of seventy-five years. His wife died thirty years ago at the age of fifty-three years. Mr. and Mrs. William Harrier have had seven children, six of whom are living: Edward, at Buffalo Lake; Ida, now living in Canada: Nellie, living at Buffalo Lake ; Cora, living at Preston Lake ; Bert, at Preston Lake: Walter, at home and one child who died in infancy.
H. C. Harty
Source: North Dakota Blue Book, 1913 Legislative Manual, Published under the direction of Thomas Hall, Secretary of State, 1913. Submitted by Linda R.
H. C. HARTY, of the twenty-eighth legislative district, was born at Elysian, Minn., February 9, 1874, was educated in the schools of that neighborhood and graduated from the state normal school at Mankato, in 1896. In 1899 he came to North Dakota, locating in Bottineau county, and engaged in farming and is at present engaged in the banking business. He has been elected treasurer of his county for two years. He is unmarried. He was elected representative in 1910 and re-elected in 1912, as a republican.
Rev. J. H. Hindman [Bio of James Brownlee]
[Source:Memorial Record of the Counties of Faribault, Martin, Watonwan and Jackson, Minnesota. The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895.] mkk
JAMES BROWNLEE, a farmer of section 1, Westford township, is a son of John Brownlee, born in the Province of Quebec, Canada, in 1819. His father, James Brownlee, was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, but located in Montreal immediately after his marriage, and his death occurred on a farm in Hemmingford township, Huntington county, Province of Quebec, having resided in that place about seventy years. Both he and his son were volunteers in the Canadian Rebellion of 1837. The mother of our subject, Mary A. (Hadley) Brownlee, was a native of Hemmingford township, a daughter of Henry Hadley, a native of England, but located in Canada in an early day, and he improved a farm and died there. He was also a volunteer in the Canadian Rebellion. John and Mary Brownlee were married and resided in Quebec eighteen years. April 15, 1872, they located on an unimproved farm in section 2, Martin county, Minnesota, where they were among the early pioneers. Mr. Brownlee improved and resided on that farm until his death, April 15, 1881, and the mother still resides there. They have ten children living, namely: James, John, Henry, Margaret Aldrich, Matthew, Robert R., Elizabeth J. Hindman, William A., Isaac R. and Mary S. Abbott. Mr. and Mrs. Brownlee are members of the United Brethren Church.
James Brownlee, the subject of this sketch, was born in Canada April 22, 1855. He came to this State at the age of seventeen years, and assisted on the home farm until his marriage, when he located on his farm of 120 acres. In addition to general farming, he and his brother have operated a threshing machine for the past fifteen years. In political matters Mr. Brownlee affiliates with the Republican party. He has served as Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Westford township two years, as Township Clerk ten years, Justice of the Peace thirteen years, Treasurer of School District No. 24, and now holds the position of Notary Public. Socially he is a member of the A. O. U. W. at Fairmont.
In 1880 Mr. Brownlee was united in marriage with Adaline Hindman, born in Wisconsin July 4, 1857, a daughter of Rev. J. H. and Sarah (Polk) Hindman, natives respectively of Ohio and Indiana. They were among the early pioneers of Wisconsin, and in 1864 located in Blue Earth county, Minnesota. Their house was raided by Indians during the second massacre, and Squire Mack, who was working for them, was shot dead. Mr. Hindman now lives in Waterville, Le Sueur county, this State. He is a prominent worker in the United Brethren Church. Mr. and Mrs. Brownlee have six children, - Fred G., Arthur E., Annie S., Harry M., Bessie H. and Florence J. Their eldest child, Clarence Edgar, is deceased. Mr. Brownlee is Trustee and Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the United Brethren Church.
Source: History of Rice County, Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. (1882) Submitted by Veneta McKinney
KISOR, AARON is a native of Ohio, born on the 13th of October, 1833. When ten years old he moved with his parents to Wisconsin where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1859, then removed to Le Sueur county, Minnesota. While in Wisconsin he married Miss S. G. Dunlavey, a native of New York City, the ceremony taking place on the 15th of September, 1855. They have had eleven children, ten of whom are living, eight boys and two girls. In 1875, they moved to this township [Morristown, Rice County, Minn.] and settled in section fifteen, where they still live. Soon after his arrival here Mr. Kisor was elected Town Treasurer, and in 1879, Chairman of the board of Supervisors.
John E. Truax
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson
JOHN E. TRUAX, clerk of the district court, is one of the prominent officials of Cavilier county, and has resided in Langdon for the past thirteen years, in which time he has gained a host of friends and the highest esteem of his fellows. The reader of this sketch will do well to consult his portrait, which will be found in these pages.
Our subject was born in Miami county, Indiana, March 31, 1851, and at the age of five years moved to Scott county, Minnesota, where he was reared and educated. He was then employed as clerk in a store in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, for about five years and in 1876 was appointed deputy auditor of Le Sueur county, which office he held until May, 1882. He was then appointed register's clerk in the United States land office at Grand Forks, North Dakota, and remained in that office until January, 1886, at which time he was appointed deputy auditor of Grand Forks county. He held the position until January 1, 1888, and at that time was appointed clerk of the district court of Cavilier county, by Judge McConnell, of Fargo, and has held the office continuously since that date. He took up his residence in Langdon early in January, 1888, and has lived here since and taken an active interest in the upbuilding of the town.
Our subject was married in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, in 1874, to Miss Mary Travis, who died in Le Sueur in November, 1875. One son was born to this union, named Robert E. Mr. Truax was married to Miss Clara V. Stiles in 1880 and January 25, 1897, he was again called upon to mourn the loss of his life companion. Mr. and Mrs. Truax were the parents of two children, Viola C. and Constance A. Our subject is a stanch advocate of Democratic principles and an earnest worker for his party, with which he has always been identified, and he wields a wide influence. His reputation for integrity and uprightness is without a flaw and he is one of the most highly-reputed men of the county and enjoys the confidence of all. He is a thirty-second-degree Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and Elzagel Temple of Fargo, member of Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias, and has passed all the chairs in the subordinate lodge of this order. He is one of the oldest Knights of Pythias in the West, having joined the order in 1874. He is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Independent Order of Foresters.
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society, Volume 14; Minnesota Biographies (1655-1912) published 1912; page 892
ZIMMERMAN, J., farmer, b. in Germany in 1825; came to the United States in 1849, and to Minnesota in 1856; settled in Le Sueur; was a representative in the legislature in 1877.