Finding Ancestors 

wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Lincoln County, Minnesota


County History

History and Development
Source: Soil Survey: Lincoln COunty, Minnesota by United States Soil Conservation Service, January 1970. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

The area that is now Lincoln County was successively part of Wabasha, Dakota, Blue Earth, Brown., Redwood, and Lyon Counties. Lincoln County was named for Abraham Lincoln and was created by legislative act in 1873.[or 1878]

The first settlement in the county, near Lake Benton in 1862, was unsuccessful. Scattered pioneer homes were built in the late 1860's and early 1870's. In 1875 the population was 413. No significant increase in population occurred until Icelandic and Danish settlements became firmly established in the 1880's. At present the people are largely of Scandinavian, Polish, and German descent.

Lincoln County Home Page

Visit Our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails