In the northeast corner of Murray county, 12 miles fromm Currier, the county seat, and 5 miles from Walnut Station. Exports wheat, corn and cattle. Stage to Walnut Station weekly. Dennis Sabin, postmaster.
Anderson H, constable.
Sabin B, physician.
Shepherd Stephen, justice of the peace.
A small village in Bondin township in the southeast corner of Murray county, 14 miles from the county seat and 170 miles from St. Paul by the traveled route. It is located on Lime creek, which might be utilized as a motor to a limited extent. Baptist and Methodist societies are found here. Heron Lake, 16 miles off, is the nearest railroad point. Wheat and cattle are the shipping products of this section. Mails from Heron Lake and CUrrier 4 times per week. W. M. Davis, postmaster.
In the townships of Scandia and Elsborg, in the northwestern part of Murray county, about 18 miles from Currier, the county seat, and 150 from St. Paul by an air line. Nearest railroad station is Tracy, 16 miles distant. Population about 50, consisting of Swedish and Norwegian families. Has a common school and Lutheran religious organizatinl Wheat is the main producct of the region. Settled in 1870. Mail from Lowville and Tracy every Monday. R. Egeland, postmaster.
Anderson O P, blacksmith.
Eng C H, tinsmith.
Egeland Rev R, (Norwegian Lutheran).
Haakonsen T, newspaper agent.
In Murray township, about 6 miles northeast of the center of Murray county, of which it is the seat; air line distance from St. Paul, 140 miles. Tracy, 13 miles off, is the nearest railroad station. It is also located upon the Des Moines river, which affords motive power for a flouring mill. A hotel, several general stores and a newspaper, the Currie Pioneer, are among the business enterprises. Also has a Presbyterian church and a district school. WHeat and flour are the principal products of exportation. Settled in the fall of 1872. Population now numbers about 100. Have stage communication with Tracy daily. Tri-weekly mail. Neil Currie, postmaster.
Bromwich Charles, publr Currie Pioneer.
Calkins Bros, proprs stage line.
Currie Neil, General Store and Flouring Mill.
Finch Myron, hotel propr.
Fling A C, general store.
Fling Lewis, boot and shoemaker.
Gates Lewis G, blacksmith.
In the northeastern part of Murray county, about 10 miles from Walnut Grove, on the C. & N. W. Ry.
In Lime Lake township, in the central western part of Murray county, 7 miles from Currie, the county seat. Heron Lake, 20 miles off, is the nearest railroad point. A Norwegian Lutheran church is located here. Settled in 1872. Mail 4 times per week. Arnt Larson, postmaster;
In the northern central part of Murray county, 25 miles south of Marshall station.
In Centre township, near the center of Murray county, 6 miles from Currie, the county seat. Tracy, 18 miles off, is the nearest railroad station. Population 30. Exports wheat, barley and oats. Stage to Tracy four times a week. Solomon Lester, postmaster.
Newell Samuel, physician.
A postoffice in the northern central part of Murray county, 12 miles southwest of Lake Shetek Station.
Murray county, changed to Lake Shetek.
Source: Minnesota, North and South Dakota and Montana Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1878. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.