Olmsted County, Minnesota

Genealogy Trails History Group
Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy


Dr. Atkinson
Source: The Freeborn County Standard, 28 Sep 1881

Dr. Atkinson of Chatfield, while hunting in the town of Eyota, Sunday, was shot and died almost instantly. He was in a carriage, and his gun fell and was discharged, the contents entering his right lung.

Margaret Bailey
Source: The Chatfield (MN) News (Thursday, January 9, 1941) Extracted facts
-daughter of Samuel and Eunice Fuller
-born Nova Scotia, Dec. 22, 1865
-died at son Harry's home in Spring Valley, Dec. 24, 1940
-moved to Fillmore county with her parents at age 1 year, lived there the rest of her life.
-married George Bailey, Feb. 22, 1895.
-parents of six boys and three girls, one girl died as an infant. Son Harold killed in WWI.
-surviving children: Elmer, William, Ralph, Harry, Ray, Myrtle, Eunice.
-husband died March 1926
-lived in Chatfield except last two years in Spring Valley.

Mary Barron
[Source: New Ulm Review (MN) September 07, 1892, page 8; submitted by Robin Line]

By the explosion of a gasoline stove at Rochester, Miss Mary Barron of this city was fatally burned, though her injuries at the time were not supposed to be very serious. Owing to the shock, as well as the burn she has since died.

Frederick Bauer
Source: Grand Forks (ND) Saturday, July 2, 1910; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Foster County Recluse Had $8,000 Cash on Body at Death.
Carrington, N. D., July 2.-In the overalls pocket of Frederick Bauer, the eccentric Foster county bachelor who died last week, was found a check for $7,900 dated last November, a certificate of deposit for $575 and $100 in cash. The check was not found by the undertaker until the old clothes of the dead man were about to be thrown on a fire. Bauer had been noted for years as a man who would not accept a check in payment for stock or grain and how it came that he carried the check given him last November by the Great Northern Townsite company for the land that constitutes the townsite of Waneta (in Dewey township) is a mystery. The check had never been endorsed or presented for payment. In addition to the above assets, it is said Bauer has a meat jar full of gold in the storage vaults of one of the McHenry banks. When the money was placed there for keeping, it is claimed that Bauer insisted that the identical pieces of money were to be returned to him upon request. The jar contained several hundred dollars.

Bauer was one of the most eccentric men who ever lived in the county. He was always shabbily dressed, lived alone in a shack and had little to do with neighbors. In company with two brothers he came to Foster county and squatted on land in Dewey township in 1885. One of the brothers died some years ago. The other brother was located with difficulty at Eyota, Minn., and notified of his brother's death. In reply he said to bury Baeur as cheaply as possible, saying the old man probably had sufficient money to pay cost of interment.
Bauer was a bachelor and, aside from the brother in Minnesota, it is not known that he leaves any relatives. By many it is thought that his property was willed to a Chicago church society, the deceased having been affiliated with a denomination known as Missouri Lutherans. One of his brothers left his estate to a church society.

The deceased was about sixty-three years of age. He had been in poor health for several months, suffering from Bright's disease. He refused to have the services of a doctor. Some months ago he was removed from his shack by neighbors and taken to a house where he could receive better care. He died with his clothes on without confiding his secrets to anyone. The day before he was stricken, he told those about him that if anything should happen to him they should notify Henry Bauer, but he failed to tell them where the brother could be found. Interment was in the Bethlehem cemetery, north of McHenry.

Oscar Bear
Source: Tampa Tribune (FL) Saturday, January 3, 1914; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

VENICE. Jan. 2.-Mrs. W. L. Dunn and sister Mrs. J. F. Hayden, returned from Eyota, Minn., Sunday night, where they had been called by the death of their brother, Oscar Bear.

Henry Beardsley
Source: St. Paul Daily Pioneer (21 Oct. 1868)

Mr. Henry Beardsley was caught in a threshing machine on the 8th, and so severely injured that he died within the following week.

Joseph Bears
Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) March 15, 1888; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
Special to the Globe.
EYOTA, Minn., March 14. - Joseph Bears died yesterday at the age of seventy years of paralysis. He was one of our oldest settlers, having lived in this township for thirty years. He leaves a wife and two sons, one of which is a prominent business man in Sioux Falls. The other being in the law office of H. A. Eckholdt at Rochester. They have many friends who mourn their loss with them.

Levi Bentley
Source: Omaha World Herald (Omaha, NE) Sunday, September 4, 1927; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Three Men While at Threshing Near Rochester, Minn.

Rochester, Minn., Sept. 3 (AP).-Lightning in a storm in this vicinity late Friday caused the death of three men and did damage estimated at several thousand dollars.

The dead are E. B. Pickerel, 47, Wykoff, Minn.; Otto Norton, 22, Fillmore; and Levi Bentley, 38, Stewartville.

Pickerel and Norton were working with a threshing crew of 20 men on a farm near Wykoff. They took shelter in a barn. A bolt struck the barn and Pickerel and Norton were instantly killed. Mitchell Norton, brother of Otto, was stunned and was unconscious for an hour. Nineteen other men in the barn at the time were slightly stunned.

Near Stewartville, at almost the same moment, Bentley was instantly killed by a bolt of lightning while he was driving a load of grain to a threshing machine in a field.

Casper Blethen
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis, MN) Thursday, 3 Aug. 1899; transcribed by FoFG mz

Rochester, Minn., Aug. 3. - Casper Blethen of Stewartville, for many years a resident of Rochester, died very suddenly last night at 5 o'clock from blood poison. He was sheriff of Redwood county a few years ago. He leaves a wife and two children.

Charles Boerneke
[Source: New Ulm Review (MN) June 1, 1892; submitted by Robin Line]

Chas. Boerneke, a College Student, Loses his Life While Swimming Great excitement prevailed at the College on Saturday when it became known that one of the students had been drowned in the Cottonwood river. The victim was Charlie Boerneke, a student of only fifteen years and oldest son of his parents live at Pine Island near Rochester. The particulars of the drowning are as follows:

In the afternoon, between three and four o'clock, he went swimming, against the rule of the college, in the Cottonwood river just below the bridge. The water is very deep at present and the current unusually swift. When caught therefore, in the very midst of the torrent, he was helpless and before many seconds was dashed against a large boulder beneath the surface of the water. This must have stunned him for his body at once shot under the water and was carried to the surface twice in his death struggle. His comrades, boys of the same age, saw him sink and rise but did not dare to render aid, fearing a like fate for themselves. They returned to the college and gave the news. Fruitless search was made all that afternoon and until nearly midnight. The next morning the work was resumed and at about eleven o'clock the body was found about half a mile below where he disappeared beneath the water for the last time. The corpse was taken to the college where short funeral rites were held, and Prof. Hoyer on the part of the faculty and Students Baeirhof and part of his classmates, were delegated to accompany the remains to his home, which they did on Monday morning. The affair, while sad, should nevertheless prove a lesson to others.

Wanda Ellen Klebsch Boyd
Source: From the memorial leaflet and obituary. Contributed by Jacque McDonnell
Birth: 30 Jan 1906 (Redfield, SD)
Marriage: Ivan Boyd, March 20, 1923.
Death: 24 Dec 1992 (Rochester, MN)
Age: 86
Funeral: 28 Dec 1992, Ranfranz Funeral Home, Rochester, MN (Zumbro Lutheran Church)
Burial: Oakwood Cemetery, Rochester, MN
Occupation: Barker Bakery, Knowlton's department store, J. c. Penney.
Locations: Moved from Redfield, SD to Rochester, MN at age 16.
Organizations/Civic: Christ United Methodist Church
Other: Husband was a baker and police officer.
Preceded in death by: Husband
[Survivor information omitted for privacy]

Reinhold Buchholtz
[Source: Austin Daily Herald (MN) May 2, 1968; submitted by Robin Line]

Reinhold Buchholtz, 77, died Tuesday at Olmsted Community Hospital, Rochester, where he had been a patient the past month.

A resident of Spring Valley, he is survived by his widow, Hazel; four children, Mrs. Elmer (Beth) Schroeder, Lakeville, Minn., Lyle of Stewartville, Leonard of Spring Valley, Mrs. Marion (Donn) Gill, St. Cloud, Minn.; 10 grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Clara Horesman, Eyota, Minn., Mrs. Alma Winters, Rochester, Mrs. Harold (Hilda) Thayer, Kasson.

Funeral services will be held Friday at Spring Valley.

Mary A. Buck
Source: The Hood River Glacier (OR) January 27, 1916; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

The funeral services of the late Mrs. A. C. Buck, whose husband is justice of the Peace of this district and a prominent member of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic, was held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Missionary and Alliance chapel. Rev. Anthony S. Donat, pastor of the Riverside Congregational church, was the officiating minister.

Mrs. Buck, whose maiden name was Mary A. Weaver, passed away at her home Wednesday night of last week. She had been an invalid for several years. She was born October 15, 1845, in Mercer county, Penn. When she was four years old the family removed to Broadhead, Wis. When she was 14 they went to Eyota, Minn., and 12 years later she returned to Pennsylvania.

Mr. and Mrs. Buck were married May 4, 1880 at Warren, Ohio. They removed to White City, Kan., and in 1892 they came to Linn county, Ore. They removed in 1902 to The Dalles, coming the next year to this city.

Mrs. Buck was a member of the local Congregational church and of the Order of the Eastern Star. In addition to her husband, she is survived by a daughter, Miss Nettie M. Buck, of Portland; and a son, Sherman E. Buck, of La Grande.

Following the funeral services interment took place at Idlewilde cemetery. The funeral was conducted by the Anderson Undertaking Co.

James Carrick
Source: 24 Aug 1869, St. Paul Daily Pioneer (24 Aug. 1869)
James Carrick, a harvest hand in the employ of Samuel C. McElhaney, of Dover, Olmsted county, was drowned in the Whitewater creek, near St. Charles, on Saturday last, while attempting to cross the stream in a wagon. He was an Irishman aged about 35 years, and is supposed to have come lately from St. Louis, or some point in Illinois directly opposite.

Nellie Chambers
Source: Rochester Daily Post and Record (Rochester, MN), February 3, 1920, page 4; submitted by Robin Line

Mrs. Nellie Chambers of Kasson, died last Friday afternoon in Rochester.

The funeral was held at Kasson today.

Miss Lucille Roe of Portland, Ore., and Mrs. Lyle Jensen of Junction City, Oregon, nieces of the deceased, were present at the funeral.

George W. Classon
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Thursday, 14 Oct. 1920; transcribed by FoFG mz

OCONTO, Wis., Oct. 13. - Alderman George W. Classon, 59, a pioneer resident, who has been in the barber business on Superior avenue for 40 years, died at Rochester, Minn., following an operation for cancer. He is survived by his widow, Helen, three daughters, Mrs. F. W. Gardner, and Gladys and Adeline, and three sons, Wilbur, George jr. and Frank. Two stepsons and one stepdaughter, his mother, Mrs. Adeline Classon, and three brothers, Congressman David G., Dr. William and Attorney Allan V. Classon, also survive.

James R. Crofoot
Source: Northern Christian Advocate (Syracuse, NY) Wednesday, September 26, 1900; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

The Rev. James R. Crofoot was born in West Turin, N. Y., on Oct. 3, 1840. He was educated at the Fort Edward Institute, and also took a three years' course at the Boston University School of Theology. He joined the Northern New York Conference in 1872 and served five charges. On account of seemingly permanent failure of health he went West and located in Rochester, Minn., where he was at the time of the terrible cyclone on Aug. 2, 1883. His health gradually failed and the death of his eldest son, Arthur and his daughter, Mary preyed on him and he grew worse until his death, which occurred on June 2, 1900. He was buried on June 28 at Eyota, Minn. He had always lived a good Christian life, and had done much for the welfare of the Methodist Episcopal Church and his fellow men. He died as he had lived a good, true Christian. His suffering and his pain are ended.

Arthur Crofut
Source: Lake Superior Review and Weekly Tribune, Oct. 24, 1887
Arthur Crofut, a Rochester young man, fell from a train at Eyota and was killed.

Jason Damon
Source: Duluth News Tribune (20 Jan. 1907) transcribed by FoFG MZ

ROCHESTER, Minn., Jan. 19. - Jason Damon, a man well known throughout this section of the county, died here this morning at the state hospital for the insane where he has been only a short time. The break down of his mind was rapidly followed by general physical collapse. The deceased was one of the oldest pioneers of Olmstead county.

Dart Boy
Source: New Ulm Review (MN) Sept. 28, 1892, page 2; submitted by Robin Line

A little son of Albert Dart of Cascade ate pills prescribed for his mother and died.

Thomas Davie
Source: Grand Forks Herald, Mar 23, 1893

Brakeman Killed.
St. Paul, March 22 - A special to the Pioneer Press from Rochester, Minn., says. Thomas Davie, a brakeman on the Chicago & Northwestern road, was run over near Eyota today. Both legs were so crushed that amputation was necessary which proved fatal. His home was at Plainview, Minn.

William Davis
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Friday, 29 Dec. 1911; transcribed by FoFG mz
ROCHESTER, Minn., Dec. 28. - The dead body of William Davis, aged 41, was found this morning in the railway yards here. Death was due to exposure. Davis, who formerly lived at Worthington, Minn., it is said, left his home early this morning while delirious, with pneumonia.

Nicholas Dee
Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) January 1, 1880; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Nicholas Dee, an old man residing in Haverhill, happening to be caught out during the recent cold weather when the thermometer averaged, according to different localities, from 40 to 46 degrees below zero, and became so chilled that he died from the effects. The funeral services were held at St. John's Catholic church Saturday.

J. M. Deull
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Wednesday, 21 Aug. 1912; transcribed by FoFG mz

ROCHESTER, Minn., Aug. 20. - J. M. Deull, Rochester, Minn., who had not missed a Democratic national convention in the past 36 years, is dead at his home here. It is believed the excitement of the Baltimore convention, which he attended as an alternate, hastened his death. When he returned from Baltimore, he lost his voice and was confined to his bed until 10 days ago.

Captain Edwin Dunn
Source: Duluth News-Tribune, July 10, 1901

Rochester, Minn., July 9 - Capt. Edwin Dunn, of Eyota, died last night in an operation for hernia, at his home. He was 67 years of age, and was very prominent in state politics. He was a member of the state prison board, and also held several other offices. He served in the civil war in the Twenty-fifth regiment New York cavalry, and was mustered out as commissary.

Merton Eastlick
[Source: The Worthington Advance (MN) November 19, 1875; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

MERTON EASTLICK, the boy hero of the Sioux Indian massacre of 1862, died in Rochester on the 7th inst., of typhoid fever. [For more information on Merton and his family's experiences during the Sioux Outbreak, see Murray County, Minnesota History - Victims & Survivors.]

Jessie Eckhaldt
Source: The Princeton Union (Princeton, MN) - Friday, June 1, 1877; transcribed by Jim Dezotell

Jessie, the little daughter of H. A. Eckhaldt, of Rochester, ate parsnips of the second years' growth, which she found in the yard, and died the next day. James Jones, of Kalamar, lost his house and barn, together with cow, calf and pig, by fire a few days ago… Rochester voted "no license" under the State law, and now an agreed case has been made to test the constitutionality of the law.

Ida V. Bowers Emerson
Source: Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin (Tuesday, 8 Oct. 1940) Extracted facts

-died at her home Oct. 7, 1940
-wife of O. H. Emerson, married June 1897.
-age 65 years old
-broke her hip 3 1/2 years ago
-born February 13, 1875, Viola township
-Mr. Emerson is a barber in Rochester
-Survivors: her husband; sons Donald, Arthur, Roy; daughters Mrs. Robert Raymond and Mrs. Frank Geib. All of Rochester. Also Mrs. Orin J. Whitcomb, Ratom, N.M. (sister)
-Vine funeral home, burial Oakwood cemetery

Mrs. J. W. Engle
Source: Rochester Daily Post and Record (Rochester, MN), February 3, 1920, page 6; submitted by Robin Line
The funeral of Mrs. J. W. Engle was held this morning at nine o'clock. It was of necessity private, making the sad event doubly distressing for hundreds who would like to have paid a last tribute of respect and were thus unable to do so.

Oscar Ennes
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894, page 4; submitted by Robin Line
Word reaches us regarding the death of Mr. Oscar Ennes, a former citizen of Rochester, and the brother of Mrs. Geo. Haber of this city and Mrs. S. Allen of Byron. He died at his home in Evans, Cal., to which place he went early in the sixties.

Nels Flaa
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 5, 1915
In a Tragic Manner in Saskatchewan - Was Burned To A Cinder
The following letter from a member of the Royal Northwest Mounte Police of Landis, Canada, asking information in regard to a man by the name of Flaa, has been received by county authorities. Anyone knowing anything regarding this man will confer a favor by sending the information to teh Candadian official.

Royal Northwest Mounted Police, "C" Division, Battleford,
Landis, Petcht, March 22, 1915.
Dear Sir: -- I am writing you in regard to a man by the name of Nels Flaa. This man lived south of Palo, Saskatchewan, on a homestead. On the 19th of March, in the evening, this man shot himself with a shotgun, and he either set his shack on fire or else the wads from the shotgun started the fire. Anyway, the shack was burned down and he was burned almost to a cinder, just some of his body remained. As far as I can find out, this man has no relatives in this country, his nearest relatives being at or near Chatfield, Minn. I wish you would try to locate one of the relatives and notify them of Nels Flaa's death. The man is buried at Landis, Saskatchewan.
Yours sincerely,
Hoyt W. Schermuly,
Constable R. N. W. M. Police

Johanna Gallavan
Source: Minnesotian-Herald (22 Dec 1877)
Johanna Gallavan, a lady over 70 years of age, who lived in Rochester with her son, died from the rupture of a blood vessel on the night of the 10th. She seemed perfectly well up to that time. She lived but about five minutes after the rupture.

Maria Gardner
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, 16 Dec. 1911; transcribed by FoFG mz
ROCHESTER, Minn., Dec. 15. - The dead body of Mrs. Maria Gardner was found yesterday on a cot in her home on Walnut street by Chief of Police Geo. E. McDermott, Patrolman Parker and her son, John Gardner. As far as can be learned it is thought that Mrs. Gardner had been dead about a week, the last seen of her being last Friday. She was 80 years old.

Mrs. Arthur Gaskill
[Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) January 3, 1880; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]
ROCHESTER. Mrs. Arthur Gaskill died very suddenly yesterday of pneumonia.

Source: Minneapolis Journal, 23 Feb 1898
Mr. Gittlieb of Farmington died yesterday at his home. He was 73 years of age, and was one of the oldest settlers of Olmsted county.

Emil Glans
Source: Grand Forks Herald (10 Dec. 1921) submitted by FoFG MZ

Word was received here yesterday that Emil Glans, at one time a member of the Grand Forks police force, had died at Rochester, Minn., Friday morning, after having been in ill health for almost a year. His sisters, Mrs. J. Z. Benson and Mrs. Emma Youngberg of this city, will leave today for Tolna, N.D., where the funeral services will take place Sunday.

Mr. Glans, who was about 57 years old, was born in Sweden and came to this country when he was about 18 years of age: he lived in various parts of the northwest, and during the winter of 1903-04 was a member of the local police force. Later he moved to Tioga, N.D., where he lived for some time, then going to Tolna.

At the latter place he took over a drug store, which he conducted for some years, later renting it and making his home on a farm near Tolna.

Mr. Glans is survived by his wife and four daughters. He had been a frequent visitor to Grand Forks during the years since he made this city his home, and he was here on two occasions during last summer.

Greator Child
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894; submitted by Robin Line
The child of Mr. Greator of Gerat, was laid by the side of its mother the 28th of November.

Eliza M. Hall
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 6, 1915

Mrs. S. B. Hall Passes Away Monday - Was Stricken Saturday Afternoon
The stroke of apoplexy which Mrs. S. B. Hall suffered Saturday afternoon proved fatal. She passed away at 5 o'clock Monday afternoon at the family home on West Zumbro street.

Eliza M. Vroman was born July 10, 1849, in Rome, N.Y., and there she spent her girlhood. January 8, 1874, she was married to S. B. Hall at Rome, and the young couple came immediately to Olmsted county, settling on the farm in Cascade township just northwest of the city. There they lived for many years. In the course of time, they built one of the first of the more substantial farm residences in Olmsted county. Their farm was one of the most widely known in this section of the state. A few years ago they moved to Rochester to take advantage of the greater conveniences of life in the city after their long period of country industry.

Saturday the fatal stroke came, and it was seen that hope could not be entertained for her recovery, and she passed into eternity at the hour stated. Besides the husband, who is bereft of the companion of his youth and his helpmeet through life, there are three children to mourn the loss of a true mother. They are Arthur J. Hall, residing on the old homestead; Mrs. John Perry of Gary, Ind., and Clarence E. Hall of Gary. They were all at their mother's bedside when the end came.

The funeral services are to be at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. Southgate of the Congregational church will officiate.

John R. Hall
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Thursday, 6 Mar. 1913; transcribed by FoFG mz

ROCHESTER, Minn., March 5. - John R. Hall, cashier of the Union National bank, member of the Rochester board of education, and prominent in the social and civic life of this city, died Monday evening after a brief illness from pneumonia. Mr. Hall was 41 years old. His death has caused deep sorrow throughout the city. He commenced his association with the Union National bank as clerk. He is survived by his parents and a widow. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Hattie Hadley Harries
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894, page 4; submitted by Robin Line
Mrs. Harries Dead
The St. Paul Dispatch of last Thursday evening contained the following regarding the deceased of the wife of Capt. W. H. Harries:

"Mrs. Hattie Hadley Harries, wife of Capt. W. H. Harries, collector of internal revenue, died suddenly at 3 o'clock this morning.

"Yesterday she was apparently in good health and made a trip to Minneapolis, and last night she was well as usual. She had been subject to paroxysmal attacks for some time, and it was in one of these that she died. Capt. Harries went to Washington last Saturday and has not returned. He was notified by wire.

"Mrs. Harries was the second wife of Capt. Harries. She was 34 years old and the daughter of W. H. Dunbar, formerly of Caledonia, now deceased. Capt Harries lives at 389 Mackubin street."
Rev. C. W. Harris
Source: Winona Daily News (11 Mar 1962) Extracted Facts

-age 75
-former Eyota resident, resided at Little Rock, Washington
-born in Sweden, Dec. 28, 1885.
-married Inez Randall, 1905.
-farmed near Eyota for 15 years before becoming a minister for United Brethren Church. Parishes in Iowa and Minnesota.
-Retired and moved to Washington in 1940.
-wife died in 1954.
-Survivors: Mrs. Axel Boesen, Eyota (daughter); Mrs. August Steppat, Seattle, Washington (daughter), 1 brother, 2 sisters, 6 grandchildren, 9 great-grandchildren

W. H. Harris
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 5, 1915

Athletic Trainer Suffers Stroke of Paralysis and Is Injured
W. H. Harris, a colored man from Iowa, who has been acting as athletic assistant to Fred Fulton here, suffered a stroke of paralysis this morning while in front of the Zumbro Hotel. He fell heavily to the pavement, striking on his head. The man was taken to the home of a colored friend, named Clay, and a physician summoned. Harris was in convulsions due to the stroke, but it was impossible to tell whether or not his skull was fractured from the fall. He died at 2:15 o'clock this afternoon. The man was a member of the Streator, Ill., colored lodge of Masons.

Melvin Havenor
Source: Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin (10 Oct, 1940) Extracted facts

-died in auto accident on Sunday
-funeral Oct. 11, 1940, First Evangelical Church.
-burial at Millett Cemetery, north of Spring Valley.
-Harkness funeral home

Aaron Hill
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (18 July 1907)

Rochester, Minn., Jan 17 -- Aaron Hill, a veteran of the Civil war and a pioneer resident of Olmsted county, died last night at his home in Marion, paralysis being the cause of his death. He is well known throughout this part of the country, and was a member of Rochester lodge No. 21, A. F. and A. M. The Masonic order will have charge of the funeral, which will be held tomorrow.

Mary Hill
Source: St. Albans Daily Messenger (St. Albans, VT) Tuesday, January 19, 1897; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Death of Mrs. Mary (Farwell) Hill at St. Charles, Minn.

Mrs. Mary (Farwell) Hill died in St. Charles (Winona county) Minn., January 8, aged 88 years, three months and 16 days.

She was born in Fairfax and was the sixth child of Oliver and Eusebia (Grout) Farwell. Her ancestors on both her father's and mother's side were of Scotch and English origin which can be traced back some six or seven generations, many of whom were prominent in the Revolutionary war. Her grandfather on her father's side was killed in the battle of Bunker Hill, June 17th, 1775. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. Her uncle, Josiah Grout, was a brigadier general in the war of 1812. Her uncle Theophilus Grout was the grandfather of Governor Josiah Grout, and also of Gen. W. W. Grout, member of Congress. Her nephew. Rev. Daniel Bliss, a son of her sister, Susannah (Farwell) Bliss, is a graduate of Amherst and Andover colleges, is now and has been for more than a quarter of a century a Congregationalist missionary at Beyrout, Syria, in Turkey.

On the 27th day of March, 1825, at Fairfax, Vt., she married Rufus Holton Hill. He was born of Scotch-Irish parents in the town of Grafton, now a part of the city of Troy, in the state of New York, on the 23rd day of April 1800. When nine years of age he removed with his parents to the town of Milton. He witnessed the battle of Lake Champlain in the year 1814, from the hill tops of Milton, and could plainly see the British vessels when they were disabled.

To them were born twelve children-eight sons and four daughters-as follows: Foster, James, and Don, these three died in infancy or early childhood, E. Geo., now living at Eyota, Minn.; Charles A., living at Morristown, Vt.; Edwin H., attorney-at-law, St. Charles, Minn; Hiram W., editor of the St. Charles, (Minn.,) Times; Willard F., enlisted in the 86th regiment Wisconsin infantry in the late war, but after serving about a year was taken sick and died in the hospital at City Point, Va.; Mary and Martha, twins, Mary died at the age of 7 months and Martha at the age of two years and 11 months; Georgian A. Hill, lived with and faithfully and tenderly cared for "mother" for many years and during her hast illness of nearly 18 months; Charlena D., now Mrs. E. Wheeler, of Windsor, Wis.

In the spring of 1856 they left Vermont and went to Wisconsin buying a farm in the town of Fountain, Juneau county. In the spring of 1875 they bought a residence in the village of New Lisbon, seven miles from the farm where he died, August 21, 1897 [sic. 1879] , aged 70 years, 3 months, and 29 days.

On November 12th, 18?4, Mrs. Hill and her daughter, Georgiana, moved to St. Charles, rented rooms and lived together, until the spring of 1892 when they had built a house of their own and first occupied it June 2, 1892, now owned and occupied by Georgiana.

In May, 1895, Mrs. Hill began to fail in health.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Jan. 10. An appropriate address was given by Rev. Samuel White, pastor of the church.

The remains were buried in the St. Charles Cemetery. Her husband was buried in the cemetery at New Lisbon, Wis. It is the intention of the children to bring the remains of their father to St. Charles and place them beside their mother.

HOLDEN family
Source: Minnesotian-Herald, Feb. 23, 1878

Diphtheria carried off last month six children out of ten of the family of Wm. Holden, of Haverhill township, Olmstead (sp) county.

Mrs. Joseph G. Hull
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894; submitted by Robin Line
Mrs. Joseph G. Hull died at Athens, Ala., Nov. 23. Seventeen years ago she and her husband moved from this neighborhood to Alabama. All of the old settlers of this vicinity will remember her, and mourn the sad intelligence.

Thomas Kenneth Kappauf
Source: Post Bulletin (Plainview, Wis.) 17 Apr. 2009; submitted by Marla Zwakman

Died Wednesday, Apr. 15, 2009 at his home rural Plainview, Wisconsin
Born May 26, 1959, in Rochester
Parents: Kenneth Kappauf & Joyce Siems
Marriage: to Janeen Springer at Zumbro Lutheran Church in Rochester
Occupation: worked at IBM, was co-owner of 3-D Tool and Design, employed by Pemstar and Benchmark Electronics
Children: Katie & Jamie
Sister: Tamara Kappauf (Richard Carlson)
Brothers: Todd (Diana Brehob) & T. Fred
Internment: Woodland Cemetery, Plainview, Wisconsin

Nellie Keeler
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Sunday, February 2, 1908; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Mrs. Nellie Keeler, sister of Mrs. G. W. Smith, 623 North Central avenue, died yesterday at St. Mary's hospital after a short illness. The cause of death was intestinal obstruction. Services will be held this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the residence of her sister and the body will be forwarded to Eyota, Minn., tomorrow for burial. Deceased is survived by a husband and daughter. She was 50 years old.

Source: Duluth News-Tribune (MN) Tuesday, February 4, 1908; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman
The remains of Mrs. Nellie Keeler, who died whole visiting her sister, Mrs. G. W. Smith, were shipped yesterday morning to Eyota, Minn., in charge of her son, Nelson Keeler, who arrived here Sunday from Portland.

Joseph Kemp
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Tuesday, 1 Sept. 1896) transcribed by FoFG mz

Rochester, Minn., Sept. 1. - Joseph Kemp, an old citizen of Rochester and for a number of years proprietor of the Winona House, died this morning after a short illness.

Mr. Kilroy
[Source: Mower County Transcript (Lansing, MN) October 21, 1819; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman]

The Rochester Post records the death of Mr. Kilroy, of New Haven, on the 27th ult. He was in a skiff at Genoa, conveying a little girl across the river, and, when about starting off, dropped an oar. Reaching over to recover it he lost his balance and fell into the water and was drowned before assistance could be rendered. He was seventy years of age, and highly respected.

Rev. D. L. King
Source: Minneapolis Journal (5 Aug. 1898)

Rev. D. L. King of Plainview and a Minnesota Pioneer
Rev. D. L. King, whose home was in Plainview, died Wednesday morning at the age of 81 years. He was an old resident of Olmsted and a history is truly connected with his life. He came to Olmsted county in October, 1854, and took land now known as the town of Kalmar. There he lived with his family until two years ago, at which time, on account of old age, he moved and made his home with his son, Rev. W. E. King of Plainview. His entire life has been one of usefulness in the Christian cause. For many years he was the only minister in this county. He was the man who preached the first sermon here, and also made the first appointment ever made by a minister in the county. His first ordination papers were filed in this county. He made the first appointment for religious services of any kind in Mantorville on Aug. 11, 1866*. He was also a delegate to the convention which framed the first state convention and was chosen and placed in the legislature. As to his immediate surroundings and standing at home can be seen by his being chairman of the first board of supervisors in Kalmar from 1861 to (illegible). He also held town offices of various kinds. The deceased was married to Miss Mary J. Whitcomb, of Butlers Point, Ill., Aug. 11, 1811 (?). His death leaves a mark of sadness over all old friends in Olmsted county, for he was a man much esteemed by all. The funeral was held to-day from his old home in Byron, the Rev. E. R. Lathrop of Hastings, preaching the sermon. A large concourse of people were present and followed the deceased to his last resting place. *faded, not 100% confident of year

Emil Klein
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (8 Sept. 1913)

Rochester, Minn., Sept. 7 - Emil Klein, a well-known farmer of Olmsted county, was fatally injured in a runaway today. He was thrown from his wagon, and his head went into a wheel and his scalp was entirely loosened, exposing his brain. His right shoulderblade and right arm were fractured. He was driving a pair of colts, which became unmanageable, and it was when they plunged into a ditch that he was thrown from his rig. His condition is critical.

Laura A. Linton
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota (April 2, 1915)

The Death of Dr. Laura A. Linton - Passed Away April First
Dr. Laura A. Linton passed away Thursday night after months of suffering.
She was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, April 8, 1853. At an early age she moved with her parents to Pennsylvania. In 1868 she came to Wabasha county and attended the Normal school at Winona. She completed her course in the spring of 1873 and that fall entered the University of Minnesota, graduating in 1879 from the academic department. The next year she taught in the high school at Lake City and then she attended the Boston School of Technology for two years. In 1882 she taught at Galesburg, Ill., in Lombard College. In 1884 she began teaching physics and chemistry in Central high school, Minneapolis, and there she was engaged for ten years.

In the fall of 1894 she entered Ann Arbor University and remained there two years. In 1896 she entered the University of Minnesota and graduated from the medical department in 1900. The same year she accepted a position at the Rochester State hospital where she remained until her death.

She was a member of Calvary Episcopal Church.

Dr. Linton is survived by her mother Mrs. Christianna C. Linton of Rochester; two brothers, Dr. W. B. Linton, Rochester, and Thos. H. Linton, Tacoma, Washington. She also leaves tow nieces, Laura and Isabella Phelps of St. Peter, Minn.

For fifteen years Dr. Linton was a resident of Rochester, and while her time was largely taken up in the practice of her profession at the state institution, she nevertheless found occasion to identify herself with the social life of the city, and her friendships were sincere and numerous.
Hers was a busy life, a life of service in the teaching and medical professions, the hours of her days being ever taken up with accomplishment. Her death brings to a close the truly remarkable career of a useful woman.


Were Held This Afternoon -- Burial to be at Kellogg, Minn.
Funeral services for the late Dr. Laura Linton were held this afternoon in the Chapel at the State Hospital, the Episcopal services being used and Rev. A. H. Wurtele officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the Healy Chapel in Oakwood cemetery. There they will rest until Monday, when they will be taken to Cook's Valley cemetery near Kellogg, Minn., where Dr. Linton once lived and where the father and a sister are buried. Committal services will be held at the Kellogg cemetery.
Pall bearers at the services here were the six oldest employes of the state hospital, namely, William Weeks, F. A. Johnson, Gustav Berg, Carl G. Anderson, Geo. F. Hoffman, and Carl H. Rommel. The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 3, 1915

Mrs. Lovell
Source: Minneapolis Journal (3 June 1899)

The remains of Mrs. Lovell were brought to Rochester yesterday from her home in Grand Forks, N. D., by her son, Wm. Lovell. Rev. F. P. Leach held brief services in Oakwood cemetery, where the remains were laid to rest.

Frank McCallin
Source: Stevens Point Daily Journal (Portage County, Wis.) 8 Jan. 1910 - MZ - Sub by FoFG
(8 Feb. 1876 - 8 Jan. 1910)
Frank McCallin, a former resident of this city, passed away at the home of his brother, William, 1201 Second street, at Wausau Saturday after an illness of several months with asthma and tuberculosis. Frank was born at Rochester, Minn., on Feb. 8, 1876, but removed to Stevens Point with his parents in 1879 and resided here for about sixteen years, when the family removed to Wausau. He has been engaged in horse training for the past 15 years and during his experience has had charge of some of the best ones in Stevens Point, Wausau, Merrill and other cities. He is survived by his father, W. J. McCallin of Minneapolis, and three brothers, Dr. Sidney J. McCallin of Chicago, and William and Samuel of Wausau. The deceased spent fair week here in September with a string of Wausau horses. It was during this visit that local friends became aware of his condition and some of them have since been assisting in a futile attempt to bring him back to health. The deceased was a large hearted young man of retiring disposition and was well thought of by all who knew him. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at Wausau from the residence of his brother.

Idella DeGarmo McGee
Source: The Salt Lake Tribune (18 Sep 1957) Extracted facts
-77 years old
-died in Salt Lake hospital
-born Jan. 2, 1880 in Viroqua, Wisconsin
-parents Mr. and Mrs. Thomas D. DeGarmo
-married James McGee Oct. 2, 1902 at Eyota
-husband died June 6, 1953.
-member of Grace Methodist Church
-moved to Salt Lake City in 1939
-survivors: Free (son) of Salt Lake City; James (son) of Trona, California; Ella Merrell (daughter) of Bountiful; Frances Duncan (daughter) of Pomona, California
-burial at Salt Lake City Cemetery

Christian Miller
Source: The Northern Pacific Farmer (Wadena, MN) July 17, 1879, page 2; submitted by Robin Line

At. Rochester Minn., July 7, Christian Miller a farmer was struck by lightning and killed. His clothes were nearly all burned off and disfiguring him almost beyond recognition. He leaves a wife, only having been married three months. The funeral takes place to-day at the Norweigian church.

John Morrison
Source: Irish World, New York, New York, Saturday, September 17, 1898, transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

John Morrison, of Rochester, Minn., died Aug. 31 at his home in Cascade. Mr. Morrison was born in Ireland in 1831. In 1862 he came to Olmstead County, Rochester being his residence. The funeral was held from St. John's Church, by Rev. Father Riordan, who was assisted by Rev. Father Pernin of St. Mary's Hospital and Rev. Father Condron of St. Bridget's church. A widow and five children survive, two daughters and three sons.

Nicholas Nigon
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Thursday, 21 Feb. 1907; transcribed by FoFG mz

ROCHESTER, Minn., Feb. 20. - Nicholas Nigon, a well-known resident of Olmstead county, died in Germany on Jan. 28. He left Rochester in November with his son Frank for a visit with relatives, and though information had been sent back regarding his illness it was not thought death was near. Pneumonia was the cause of death. Mr. Nigon was 57 years old. He is survived by 12 children. He was buried in Rech, Germany.

Mrs. J. W. Noffsinger
Source: Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin (Tuesday, 8 Oct, 1940) Extracted facts

-died "Monday night", at Faith Coates home (daughter), 116 Fifth St. SW
-with with her daughter for 1 year
-81 years old
-Funeral on "Friday" at Campbell, Minnesota
-Formerly lived at Campbell, Minnesota

[Infant Daughter] OLSON
Source: Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin (10 Oct. 1940) Extracted facts

-daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Arthur M. Olson
-funeral Oct. 10, 1940 by Dr. G. P. Sheridan.
-burial Oakwood cemetery.

Willie Perry
Source: Grand Forks Daily Herald (Grand Forks, ND) Sunday, August 5, 1906; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Lands on His Head and Is Instantly Killed.

Herald Special Services.
Eyota, Minn., Aug. 4.-Willie Perry, about eight years old, the youngest son of Rev. W. F. Perry, met almost instant death by falling about 30 feet, crushing in the top of his head. He was playing with other boys in a large barn and fell from the ladder to the floor. His companions rushed to help him up, only to find he could not speak.

Radcliff Boy
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894; submitted by Robin Line
Pleasant Grove.
The little child of Charles Radcliff died Friday night of croup. The services were held at the M. E. church, Rev. Parker officiating. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the bereaved parents.

Ralph Rasmussen
Source: Aitkin Independent Age (Aitkin, MN) May 26, 1917, page 6; submitted by Robin Line

Ralph Rasmussen, a restaurant man of Rochester, who was shot about two weeks ago by his cousin, Roy Rasmussen, after, according to the police, he had foiled an attempt to rob the restaurant, is dead. He did not regain consciousness after the shooting.

Ronald Dean Reese
Source: Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin (Tuesday, 8 Oct. 1940) Extracted facts

-son of Mr. and Mrs. Dale Reese, Rochester.
-buried St. Bridget's Cemetery Oct. 7, 1940

H. Richardson
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, MN) Saturday, 13 July 1912; transcribed by FoFG mz

ROCHESTER, Minn., July 12. - H. Richardson, veteran of the Civil war, a pioneer of Minnesota, and at one time a member of the Minnesota legislature, died at his home here today at the age of 63.

Rienspies Daughter
Source: New Ulm Review (New Ulm, MN) June 15, 1892; submitted by Robin Line
The young daughter of William Rienspies, was struck by a flying engine on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, near Dover, and expired in 20 minutes.

Mrs. Dewey Ringenberg
Source: Austin Daily Herald (Austin, MN) - Thursday, November 13, 1958; contributed by Jim Dezotell

Mrs. Dewey Ringenberg, 56, died Wednesday at St. Marys Hospital, Rochester, after a short illness. She was the former Lydia H. Meyer.

The Ringenbergs resided in Austin for 19 years, leaving in 1946. They owned and operated a grocery store at Simpson, Minn.

Mrs. Ringenberg is survived by her husband; two sons, Robert Gene and William of Simpson; a daughter, Mrs. Nicholas O'Connell, Austin; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Meyer, Echo, Minn.; five sisters, Mrs. James Kopasek Clarkfield, Minn., Mrs. Theodore Wold, Vienna, S.D., Mrs. Eugene Winkler, Bellingham, Wash., Mrs. Jacob Meyer, Lucan, Minn., Mrs. Ben Hustad, Bixby; four brothers, George Meyer, Long Beach, Calif., Alvin Meyer, Vesta, Minn., Elmer and Elton Meyer, Echo; two grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon.

Wm. Robertson
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 5, 1915

Former Resident of Olmsted County Answers Summons in Minneapolis
Word was received in Rochester today that William Robertson, father of John Robertson of this county, passed away at his home in Minneapolis at 1 o'clock this morning. He had been ill for a number of days past.
Mr. Robertson was an old settler in this county. For many years he resided on the farm on which his son, John, now lives. Twenty-three years ago he left Rochester.
No arrangements have been made for the funeral. Burial, however, will be in Minneapolis.

Margaret Rooney
Source unknown (6 Aug. 1897)

Mrs. Margaret Rooney, one of the pioneers of Olmsted county, died at Eyota last evening, aged 70 years. She came to this country forty years ago, and for thirty years has lived in this county, and was highly respected by every one.

Mrs. Harm Schacht
Source: The Record and Union (Rochester, MN), December 14, 1894; submitted by Robin Line
Mrs. Harm Schacht, who resided on East Fifth street, died from kidney trouble at St. Mary's Hospital last Friday. After a severe illness of about three weeks it was necessary to perform an operation, and shortly after, she died. She was 50 years of age, leaves a son and three daughters to mourn her loss, two children having gone before her. She was born in Germany in 1844, and at the age of 21 years came to this country. When she was 22 years of age she was united in marriage to Mr. Schacht of Farmington, where they resided until 1892, at which time they moved to this city.

The funeral was held last Monday at 2:00 p.m. from the house, and at 2:30 p.m. the new German Lutheran church, Rev. Nickels officiating.

Amos Shellman
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis, MN) Tuesday, August 11, 1896

Eyota, Minn., Aug. 11.-Mrs. C. T. Shellman, her son Amos and F. W. Torgenson went to Root river fishing. The boy and Torgenson went in bathing. Neither could swim, and the mother called to her son not to go any further, he then being in shoulder deep, whereupon he gave a plunge, as though striking out to swim. He sank, but came up again and called to Torgenson for help. The mother became uncontrollable and jumped into the water to save him. Her efforts were defied by Torgenson, who could hardly keep her from diving after him. Three hours later the boy's body was found in twelve feet of water. The mother is frantic with grief; having only a short time ago buried her husband. She will probably not survive the shock. The son was 18 years old.

Robert Spornlis
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Minneapolis, MN) Tuesday, November 17, 1896; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

Eyota, Minn.-While passing along the street, J. Robert Sporntis fell on the sidewalk and died before medical aid could be summoned. He was 59 years of age and leaves a wife, one daughter and three sons. He had been suffering many years from a bullet wound received while on active duty at Fort Ridgely at the time of the Indian massacre, he having belonged to Company B, fifth Minnesota Infantry. He was a member of North Star Chapter, R. A. M., of Chatfield.

D. Stevenson
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Wednesday, 10 Oct. 1900) transcribed by FoFG mz
Rochester, Minn., Oct. 10. - D. Stevenson of Rochester, one of the oldest settlers of Minnesota and Olmstead county and one of the leading insurance men of the state, died at Marion, Ohio, at 6 o'clock this morning. His remains will arrive here Monday. Mrs. Jay Wilson of Minneapolis died at St. Mary's hospital this morning after a lingering illness of typhoid fever.

David Stevenson
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 2, 1915
Paid to the Memory of the Late David Stevenson - Issue Memorial Magazine
This office is in receipt of the March number of the Michigan Bulletin, the official magazine of the Michigan University Alumni of Chicago. The number is a special memorial number for David Stevenson. An excellent photogravure of Mr. Stevenson takes up the cover page and the rest of the magazine is eulogistic of the Rochester young man who met a tragic death recently in the city where he had achieved such a great reputation as an advertising expert.
Words from the editorial page are surely of interest to all of "Dave's" friends here.

Like the dew on the mountain, Like the foam on the river, Like the bubble on the fountain, He is gone, and forever.

Every one called him 'Dave' It seemed to be easy; it seemed to be right. Under his unique personality you felt he was working with you, shoulder to shoulder, man to man.
"He was a dreamer of dreams and a wielder of words.
"His dreams made the Michigan opera a yearly event in Chicago. His words many a time have filled our souls anew with the old youthful love for our Alma Mater.
"Dave was a writer of advertisements. Artist though he was in the use of words, his best advertisements were written in deed, and thought and character.
"And now it is for us to be dedicated to the unfinished tas which he, and others as loyal, have thus far so nobly advanced. Nothing could have pleased Dave more than to see this year's opear a mighty success.
"With his example and his memory in our minds we will push on and achieve what Dave hoped and dreamed.

J. J. Sullivan
Source: The Saint Paul Globe (MN) January 1, 1880; transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman

The funeral services of J. J. Sullivan, who was drowned in Lake Michigan Oct. 19th, was recently held in this city and his remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery.

James Tierney
Source: Duluth News-Tribune, Oct. 31, 1910

Rochester, Minn., Oct. 30 - James Tierney, well known and respected pioneer farmer of Olmsted county was found dead in the Zumbro river in this city today. Mr. Tierney had bought a home in Rochester about a week ago, and moved his family here from Stewartville.
Friday his wife went to Stewartville to visit, and late Friday night, the last seen of him, he was intoxicated and seemed to be lost. Today his body was found in the river by a small girl, and it is probably that he feel over a 10-foot embankment in to the stream. Tierney was 70 years old, and leaves a wife and 10 children.

J. F. Van Doozer
Source: Duluth News Tribune (Duluth, St. Louis County, Minn.) 20 Feb. 1912

ASHLAND, Wis., Feb. 19. - J. F. Van Doozer, who for many years has been one of the best known citizens of Ashland died yesterday at his residence on Seventh avenue. Ever since Ashland became a city Mr. Van Doozer has been closely identified with the city's advancement and growth and being the representative here for a large number of out of town property owners he has been instrumental in many ways in promoting its welfare. His death caused decided sorrow and regret among all classes of people. Mr. Van Doozer has been in poor health for the last two years.

Mr. Van Doozer has been assessor and comptroller of the city on different occasions and also at the head of the Business Men's association. For 30 years up to 1887, he was in the hardware business at Rochester, Minn., and his body will be taken there for burial tomorrow.

Nathan Wentworth
Source: St. Paul Daily Pioneer (24 Aug. 1869)

Nathan Wentworth, of Plainview, was drowned in Silver Creek, near Rochester, on Saturday week, while attempting to cross the stream, which was swollen by the recent rain, in a stage coach; and on Monday Rosmas Bendixson, a Dane, was drowned in the Zumbro, near the same place.

Jean Whitcomb
Source: Duluth News-Tribune (6 July 1912)
Pathetic End of Wife of Former Auditor Whitcomb of Minnesota
Rochester, Minn., June 6 - With only a single bunch of roses on her casket and only one friend, a missionary, to stand at her grave, Mrs. Jean Whitcomb, wife of a former state auditor of Minnesota, and a social leader, was buried in a pauper's grave at Blackwells island in New York city May 29. This information had just been received in Rochester, where she at one time lived and was well known.
Mrs. Whitcomb was the widow of O. P. Whitcomb, a former treasurer of Olmsted county and later state auditor. Following the death of Mr. Whitcomb she went abroad, returning to New York at frequent intervals. Her last trip across the water, about a year ago, marked the thirty-seventh crossing of the Atlantic.
Until illness incapacitated her three years ago Mrs. Whitcomb devoted most of her time to the introduction of young women into society in London and Paris. She acted also as secretary and traveling companion to many well known American women, and her acquaintance in the American colonies abroad was both wide and intimate.
In 1905 Mrs. Whitcomb was injured in stepping off a curbing at Broadway and Seventy-second street, New York. Four years following the accident rheumatism had so crippled her that she was obliged to give up her social activities. Within a few months she was destitute and sought admission to Holy Trinity lodge, and American hospital in Paris, of which Helen Gould is patron. She was compelled to leave within a few days, going to Charity hospital. From that time on Mrs. Whitcomb lived on the bounty of friends. Later the French authorities withdrew assistance and brought about her return to New York.
After a few months in the Belleville and Metropolitan hospitals she was taken to Blackwell's island, where she remained until death. She wrote to friends, but only pittances came in response to her pathetic appeals for assistance.
"I have spent a year in hell," she wrote to one. "I had rather go back to Beaver county, Pa., and into the almhouse than stay here."
Friday, May 24, she died. One friend, a missionary, Miss Alexander, stood at her grave, and one bunch of roses from a former friend was placed upon her casket.
"I am so glad," said Miss Alexander, "That there were those flowers to cover her. I do not think I could have stood it to see this charming woman go to her last rest with no touch of luxuries among which she had lived all her life."

Charles Wilber
Source: Post-Bulletin, Rochester, MN, May 31, 1963 submitted by Jim Honer

Former businessman also bridge player - Charles J. Wilber, 76,210 6th Ave NW, retired Rochester businessman and one of the city's most avid bridge players, dies Thursday afternoon at his home.

A resident here since 1913, Mr. Wilber was in the electrical and heating business for many years, and manufactured his own furnaces. He retired a number of years ago. He was a member and past grand knight of the Rochester Council, Knights of Columbus and the Fourth Degree K of C..., and St. John's Catholic Church and its Holy Name Society. Well known in bridge circles, he played for many years with the Rochester Duplicate Club.

Mr. Wilber was born Oct. 27, 1886 at Monroe, Wis. On Jan 21, 1911 he married the former Katherine M. Toomey at St. John's Church here.

He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. William (Marie) Barite of Tarrytown, N.Y. and Mrs. R.f. (Rita) Mc Gannon of Norwalk, Conn.; two sons, Fabian J. of Gloucestershire, England and Charles G. of Van Nuys, Calif.; 11 grandchildren; a sister Mrs. James Flanagan of Argyle, Wis., and two brothers, Ben of Little Rock Ark., and Arthur of Brookings, SD. A sister and brother preceded him in death.

Requiem Mass will be offered at 9 a.m. Monday at St. John's Catholic church by Rt. Rev. Msgr Louis D. O'Day. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery. Friends may call at the Macken Funeral Home after 7 p.m. Saturday. The Rosary will be recited at 8 p.m. at the funeral home.

Dr. Wilkins
Source: St. Cloud Journal (MN) Jan. 2, 1968, page 2; submitted by Robin Line.

Dr. H. Wilkin's of Olmstead county; committed suicide at Winona, by taking morphine. The Rochester Post says that he resisted all efforts made for his relief.

Mrs. Jay Wilson
Source: Minneapolis Journal (Wednesday, 10 Oct. 1900) transcribed by FoFG mz

Rochester, Minn., Oct. 10. - Mrs. Jay Wilson of Minneapolis died at St. Mary's hospital this morning after a lingering illness of typhoid fever.

Fred Wolverton
[Source: Winthrop News (MN) Dec. 1, 1932, page 6; submitted by Robin Line]

Seven persons were injured, two critically, and one person killed, in a blast in a heating plant at Rochester which supplies heat and electricity to the Mayo clinic and other businesses there. Fred Wolverton, junior, 17 years old, of Albert Lea, was thrown against the wall of a tunnel leading to the plant by the force of the explosion and killed. He and a number of other were attending a Y.M.C.A. conference. Russel Nelson of Albert Lea suffered a concussion and possible skull fracture. R.C. Kelsey of Rochester was reported to be in a serious condition as the result of a skull fracture.

James H. Wright
Source: Duluth News Tribune (Duluth, St. Louis County, Minn.) Monday, 11 Aug. 1913; transcribed by FoFG mz

ROCHESTER, Minn., Aug. 10. - James H. Wright, one of Rochester's earliest settlers, is dead at the age of 78. Mr. Wright came to Rochester in 1858, engaging in the contracting business. He leaves six children, one son and five daughters. Four daughters live in Minneapolis.

John George Zimmerman
Source: The Daily Post and Record, Rochester, Minnesota, April 5, 1915

The remains of the late John George Zimmerman, the former Rochester citizen, who passed away March 31, at 5 p.m. at Wenatchee, Wash., arrived in Rochester at noon today.

Mr. Zimmerman would have been 83 years old on April 25. He was born in Germany and came to this country with his parents when five years of age. In 1860 he came to Olmsted county. He engaged in business here until 1880, when he removed to Brownton, Minn. Subsequently he returned to Olmsted county, locating on a farm in Kalmar township. He left Rochester five years ago. Last summer he returned to Rochester to visit his many friends and relatives.

He is survived by the following children: Mrs. Susie Marr, Wenatchie, Wash.; Mrs. Lizzie Hewett and Mrs. Emma Gile, Flaxville, Mont.; Mrs. Mary Lamp, Rochester; Mrs. C. A. Sheppard, Rochester; Charles H. Zimmerman, Rochester; and George L. Zimmerman, Bainville, Mont.
The funeral is to be tomorrow afternoon at 2:30.

Olmsted County Home Page

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails