Olmsted County Places - Douglas
DOUGLASS Station, a railway village eight miles northwest of Rochester, was named for Harrison Douglass, owner of its site. He was born in Macedon, N. Y., March 21, 1825; came to Minnesota in 1855, settling here as the first blacksmith in the county; built a grain elevator at this village in 1878; died in Fargo, N. D., March 7, 1902.
Source: MINNESOTA GEOGRAPHIC NAMES Their Origin and Historic Significance
This was founded and platted by Harrison Douglass, a pioneer settler of this town, in 1878. During this year a branch of the Winona & St. Peter railroad was built from Rochester to Zumbrota. This crosses section 1, on which a depot is located. Mr. Douglas has built here an elevator, with capacity of 18,000 bushels. During the same season Hiram Miller put up a store near the elevator, which he afterward sold. Mr. Miller subsequently built another structure, in which he keeps the postoffice and some light articles of merchandise; also occupies as a residence. A schoolhouse and half dozen dwellings complete this village.
The number of births recorded in Kalmar township by the town clerk, from 1871 to 1882, inclusive, are severally in the same order as follows: 21, 6, 8, 22, 16, 22, 36, 29, 17, 26, 21, 10. The deaths recorded at corresponding periods were: 5, 4, 5, 14, 10, 6, 12, 10, S, 10, 10, 7.
Source: The History of Winona and Olmsted Counties, 1883
Home | Olmsted County Places
©2008 Genealogy Trails