Olmsted County Places - Pleasant Grove

 

PLEASANT GROVE  was platted in 1854, with the surrounding township organized on May 11, 1858.  It derived its name "from a beautiful grove of oaks, where the little village is located."   This was the site of the first "real" settlement, with women, housekeeping, etc., made by Philo S. Curtis and his family in October, 1853.  Mr. Curtis opened the first hotel in town, and was appointed the first postmaster there, and also holds the honor of being the first sheriff elected in Olmsted County.

 

Sources:

MINNESOTA GEOGRAPHIC NAMES Their Origin and Historic Significance
History of Winona and Olmstead Counties, 1883

 

 

Home  |  Olmsted County Places


2008 Genealogy Trails