Olmsted County Places - Viola Township
VIOLA township, at first named Washington, organized in May, 1858, was renamed at the suggestion of Irwin N. Wetmore, for the village of Viola in Wisconsin, about forty miles southeast of La Crosse. However, Carl Beirbaum and Mr. Whitman located in Viola during the summer of 1854. The railway village in this township, bearing the same name, was platted in September, 1878.
MINNESOTA GEOGRAPHIC NAMES Their Origin and Historic Significance
by Warren Upham, Archaeologist of the Society
Published by the Minnesota Historical Society
Saint Paul, 1920
Home | Olmsted County Places
©2008 Genealogy Trails