Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Rice County, Minnesota

 


Biographies "A"


 

B

C

D-F

G-H

I-L

M-N

O-R

S

T-Z


Walter K. Adams
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

Walter K. Adams, banker, was born in East Prairie, Walcott township, March 4, 1864, son of Thomas C. and Georgia (Vose) Adams, early pioneers. He received his education in the district schools of Walcott, and in the public schools of Faribault. He entered the Carleton college in 1883, and left that institution in 1886, taking up farming on the old homestead. In 1891 he entered the employ of the Sheffield Milling Co., as bookkeeper two years, then purchased the old homestead and again engaged in farming until 1900, when he was elected county auditor. He served until 1904, then went to Montana and engaged in the banking business at Sidney, Dawson county, organizing the Sidney National Bank in company with Thomas C. Gardner, of Faribault. Mr. Adams served at one time as town clerk in the town of Walcott. He is a high degree Mason and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the United Workmen. He was married September 4, 1889, at East Prairie, Minn., to Elizabeth C. Herrington, daughter of Elias and Mary Herrington, the former of whom is now dead while the latter lives in North Dakota. To Mr. and Mrs. Adams were born four children: Georgia K., Mabel J., Mary E. and Winnifred.

Thomas C. Adams and Georgia (Vose) Adams, his wife, were early pioneers, greatly esteemed in their community. They were born in Vermont, came in Minnesota in 1859, located in East Prairie, Walcott township, took a homestead of 160 acres, broke and improve the land, and continued farming until 1889. They then came to Faribault, lived four years, and subsequently went to Louisiana, which is now their home. Thomas C. Adams was closely connected with the politics of Rice county. He was county commissioner four years, supervisor many years in Walcott township, prominent in his school district and town treasurer during the war period.


Henry F. C. Albers
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

Henry F. C. Albers, a prosperous and well-to-do farmer of Bridgewater township, was born in Bridgewater, December 21, 1861, to Henry and Christina (Clute) Albers, natives of Germany. His father, a farmer in his native land, came to America in 1853 and located near Milwaukee, Wis., where he remained until 1855; he then came to Minnesota, driving across the country with an ox team, and located in Bridgewater township, Rice county, where he preempted land in section 31 and on which he has carried on general farming and made extensive improvements. He also served in Company H, Fourth Minnesota Regiment, during the Civil War. Our subject attained his education in district schools of Bridgewater. After leaving school he worked on a farm and in 1892 bought 120 acres of land, to which he has added additional purchases until he now has a farm of 280 acres, well cultivated and up to date in every respect. He also has 160 acres in St. Louis county. In addition to carrying on farming successfully, he also conducts a lumber yard at Dundas, Minn. Mr. Albers was married November 15, 1894, to Miss Louisa, daughter of Aug. and Catherine (Suess) Zimmerman, natives of Germany, who in 1881 came to America and located in Bridgewater township, from whence they later moved to Northfield township, where they still live. Mr. and Mrs. Albers have seven children, named in respective order of their birth: Freemont, Clarence, Hattie, Frances, Edward, Carl and Harold, all living at home. Mr. Albers affiliates with the Democratic party. In religious faith he, with his family, adheres to the German Moravian church at Northfield. He is also a member of the United Workmen. Besides conducting his own business successfully, Mr. Albers is a public spirited man, and has done a good deal to promote the welfare of his community. He is a stockholder and director in the Farmers Elevator Company, in Northfield Telephone Company, stockholder in Forest Creamery Company, and stockholder in Independent Harvester Company, of Plano, Ill. He has filled a number of local offices, such as assessor, which office he filled for five years, also supervisor and justice of the peace.


Cyrus Aldrich
Source: History of Rice County, Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. (1882) submitted by Veneta McKineny

ALDRICH, CYRUS C., a native of New York, was born in Chenango County on the 5th of August, 1833. He was married on the 18th of February, 1851, to Amanda Chapin. The year following they moved to Wisconsin, a year later to Faribault, and in 1859, to Morristown, locating in section seven. Mr. Aldrich enlisted in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, Company G, on the '21st of April, 1861, served three months and then re-enlisted in the Fourth Minnesota Regiment, was wounded in the battle of Altoona and discharged for disability. After returning from the army, being unable to perform heavy manual labor, he engaged in the manufacture of sorghum and bee culture and is at present proprietor of the Central Apiary depot of supplies, hives, and honey. Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich have had six children, five of whom are living. He was one of the Councilmen the first two years after the village was incorporated.


James W. Alexander
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

James W. Alexander, of Northfield township, was born on the farm where he now resides, June 14, 1863, son of John J. Alexander and Mary Ann (Lake) Alexander. He received his education in the public schools of Northfield, and completed his studies with a high school course, and after finishing his education he took up farming at home and has since remained, carrying on general farming. He was married November 11, 1884, to Frona Chamberlain, who was born at Honesdale, Penn., January 25, 1866, daughter of Hiram and Mary (Kimble) Chamberlain, natives of Pennsylvania. The father was born in 1821, and the mother in 1841. They spent their entire lives in their native state, the father dying in 1867 and the mother in 1905. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander have two children: Mary Ellen, born May 22, 1887, and James G., born October 19, 1891. Mr. Alexander, like his father before him, is a firm believer in the principles of the Democratic party, and although never having sought or held public office, is always interested in the affairs of the community. He is a stockholder in the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Elevator at Northfield, of which he is also the president, which office he has held since 1901. Fraternally he is associated with the A. O. U. W. and the Social Lodge, No. 48, A. F. & A. M.


John J. Alexander
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

John J. Alexander, now deceased, was one of the early pioneers of Rice county, were he came in June, 1854, with his father, and established a home in what was then a wilderness, but lived to see it blossom into beautiful farms, of verdant fields and substantial homes. It is said that they built the first house between Hastings and Faribault. Mr. Alexander was a lifelong farmer, and became very prominent and influential in the county, where he held several important offices, and also represented his district in the state Legislature, to which he was elected in 1888. He was a man of quiet habits and domestic taste, and who loved his home above everything else. He was born in Erie county, New York, February 15, 1833, son of Jonathan and Lydia (Davis) Alexander. The father was born in Vermont in 1801, and died in 1887 in Rice county. In the Alexander home was a family of seven children: Mrs. Joseph Wise, of Sharon, Wis.; Mrs. John Lamphere, of Northfield; John J. (deceased), and the subject of this sketch; Jonas, of Washington; Mrs. Sylvester Shirpey, of Northfield; Ira, deceased; Mrs. Charles Holt, deceased. John J. Alexander remained at home until his marriage, which occurred May 1, 1855, to Mary Ann Lake, who was born in Rock County, Wis., January 24, 1836, daughter of Stewart and Miranda (Willis) Lake, and they were the parents of two children: John Palmer, born March 9,1857, and James W., born June 13, 1863. Mr. Alexander was a lifelong Democrat and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He died February 11, 1891, and his wife resides in Northfield in a home which she built in 1907.


W. Ward Allen
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

W. Ward Allen, of the Sheffield-King Milling Company, was born in Oswego, N. Y., April 15, 1855, son of H. B. and Artemecia Allen, natives of New York state, where the father followed milling in his adult days, dying in January, 1905. His wife, the mother of W. Ward, is still living in Oswego, N. Y. The subject of this sketch received his early education in his native city and then attended the Academy at Mexico, in the same state. He then took up milling with his father until 1874. That year he came west and lived in River Falls, Wis., remaining until 1881. After working at his trade in Rush City, Minn., and Jordan, Minn., he came to Faribault in July, 1903, acquired an interest in the Sheffield-King Milling Company, and has since been its superintendent. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen and the Elks, and is a Republican in politics. His home is a pleasant residence at 610 Fourth street. Mr. Allen was married in September, 1881, at Mexico, N. Y., to Lillah E. Howard, of that place, daughter of George H. Howard. Mr. Howard died in March, 1910; Mrs. Howard died in December, 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one son, Howard C., of Faribault, who is connected with the Faribault Gas and Electric Company.


John Almfeldt
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ALMFELDT John E, St Paul. Res 422 E 8th st. Minister of religion. Born June 16, 1871 in Sweden, son of Adolf Erickson and Anna (Johansdatter) Almfeldt. Married Mar 2, 1900 to Anna Wiskholm. Educated in Sweden and Faribault Minn graduating from Seabury Divinity School. Came to U S 1884 and studied in Chicago; took charge of Emanuel Mission Litchfield Minn; charges in Cokato and Lake Park Minn; called to St Sigfrid’s St Paul 1904 and has been rector to date. Member Masonic fraternity.

Axel Anderson
Source: History of Rice and Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1916) Transcribed by sd

Axel Anderson, of the firm of A. Anderson & Sons, was born in Sweden, April 8, 1852, son of A. G. and Mary Anderson. He attended the common schools of Sweden, and came to this country in 1880, engaging with the Seymour & Seabin Threshing Company at Stillwater until 1883, when he went to Dassel and worked in a repair shop. Then he came to Faribault and from 1884 to 1900 was engaged with F. W. Winter & Co. in their foundry and machine shop. In 1900 he went into partnership with Andrew H. Rawson until 1905, when Axel R. and George L. Anderson, his sons, purchased the Rawson interests. The firm is now known as A. Anderson & Sons, Faribault Machine Shop and Foundry Company. Mr. Anderson is serving on the official board of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Faribault. He was married in 1876 to Hannah C. Erickson, and to this union have been born five children: Axel Richard, George Lambert, Jennie Emily, Isabell and David.


George L. Anderson
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

George L. Anderson, Faribault manufacturer, was born in Stillwater, Minn., November 30, 1880, son of Axel and Hannah Anderson, whose sketch will appear elsewhere. He came to Faribault at the age of four with his parents and here received a public school education. After leaving school he followed clerking for one year and then took up butter making at Forest Creamery one year to learn the business, then in the Grant Creamery of Faribault for five years. In April, 1904, he went to Wayzatta and engaged in machine work for the Campbell Motor Co., until 1905. He then entered the employ of Rawson & Anderson, of the Faribault Machine Shop and Foundry. June 1, 1905, he and his brother, Axel R., purchased the interest of Mr. Rawson, and since then it has been known as the Anderson & Son Machine Shop and Foundry, George L. becoming secretary and treasurer, which position he has since occupied. Mr. Anderson lives on West Third street. He is a Republican in politics and belongs to the Maccabees. He attends the Methodist church. Mr. Anderson has risen in life by his own efforts and deserves much credit for the place he has carved out for himself in the business life of Faribault.


John P. Andrews
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

John P. Andrews, nurseryman, of Faribault, has taken a deep interest in the agricultural development of Minnesota. He was born in Grant county, Wisconsin, December 16, 1846, and came to Faribault in 1864. After receiving a good education in the public schools he took up nursery work in fall, 1868, and in 1872 started in the nursery business, of which he has since made so great a success. He now owns 365 acres of good land, partly in the city limits, and has a wife trade for his output throughout the Northwest. His home is just outside the city limits. Mr. Andrews was married December 16, 1873, to Elizabeth Howard, of Hallowell, Maine. To this union have been born seven children: Charles H., with his father in the nursery business; Grace B., a graduate of the Agricultural college of the university of Minnesota, and now teaching in that institution; Elizabeth K., a graduate of the State University, wife of W. S. Weston, of Faribault; Eleanor G., a kindergartner; John K., a graduate of the Agricultural school of the State university, also interested in the nursery, married to Helen Dixon, of Mora, Minn.; Lula D., stenographer, in nursery office; Rufus H., student. The family faith is that of the Congregational church. The parents of John P. Andrews were Daniel and Almira (Bacon) Andrews, natives respectively of New York state and Vermont. They migrated to Michigan, and in 1844 to Grant county, Wisconsin, and farmed there until 1863, when family came to Faribault, where the mother died in 1866. The father went South and in 1876 died there.


E. Villers Appleby
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

APPLEBY E Villiers, St Paul. Res 226 Summit av, office 130 Lowry Arcade. Physician (R), Oculist. Born in 1868 in London Eng, son of I H M Villiers and Esther Mary (Lett) Appleby. Married 1897 to Cornelia Day Wilder (deceased). Educated by private instruction until 1886; attended Shattuck Military School Faribault Minn 1886-90; graduated from U of M medical dept 1894; interne City and county Hospital St Paul 1894-5; gen practice St Paul 1895-8; matriculate Univ of Berlin Ger 1898; voluntary asst prof Hirschberg’s eye clinic and eye dept Charity Hospital Berlin Ger 1898-1900; clinic instructor of ophthalmology medical dept U of M; ophthalmologist St Luke’s Hospital; chief of eye clinic St Paul Free Dispensary; member American Medical Assn; Minn State and Ramsey County Medical societies; Berlin Ophthalmogical Society; Chicago Athletic Club; Minn and Town and Country clubs of St Paul.


Edward T. Archibald
Source: History of Rice & Steele Counties, Minnesota, Illustrated, Vol. II; Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge (1910) transcribed by Susan Geist

Edward T. Archibald is a native of Canada, and came to the United States in 1856, and located in Rice county, Minn., where he remained a short time, and subsequently went to Hastings, where he engaged in the real estate business. His brother, John S., came to Rice county in 1857 and purchased about 1,100 acres of land where the present village of Dundas is located, and in the spring of the same year built a dam across the Cannon river, and erected a flour mill, which was the second mill of its kind in the county, the first having been built by Hon. John North, at Northfield, the previous year. The mill was of small capacity and was built for custom trade, and was conducted by John S. until 1865, when Edward T. bought a half interest, and the mill was rebuilt in 1870, with better equipments of machinery and a capacity of 800 barrels per day. In 1894 this mill was destroyed by fire, and they decided not to rebuild, but sold the site. The brothers operated another mill on the Little Cannon river, known as the Oxford mill, which was built in 1867, and was sold in 1875. Mr. Archibald’s son bought half interest in a flour mill which was located on Third street, St. Paul, in 1878, in partnership with Mr. Shurmier, the firm name being Archibald & Shurmier, which they operated for about two years. Mr. Archibald was married in 1848 to Jane Morse, of Hammond, St. Lawrence county, New York, and they had two sons, both of whom are dead. They were John and Frank. Mrs. Archibald died in 1882, and the only living relative of Mr. Archibald is Alice, daughter of his son John. Mr. Archibald is a prominent man in the county, and was one of the incorporators of the First National Bank of Northfield, and also one of the directors. He was at one time a stockholder and director in the First National Bank of St. Paul. He was born June 14, 1827.


Peter Aslakson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ASLAKSON Peter S, Cannon Falls. Lawyer. Born June 3, 1852 in Upper Telemarken Norway, son of Sven A Odegaarden and Lizzie P (Voltvedta) Aslakson. Married May 7, 1879 to Mary Christine Ullevig. Educated at Carleton College Northfield Minn; business college Keokuk Ia; Pierce’s Normal Inst and graduated from Iowa State Univ law dept 1878. Taught school 1879-80; bkpr Zumbrota 1881-82; taught school 1883-85; began law practice Cannon Falls June 1, 1886; city clerk 1892-93; city atty 1894-96 and 1903; sec Board of Education 1892 to date. Chairman Rep Cong Committee 3d Dist 1896-1902; member A O U W and M W A.


George Atchison
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ATCHISON George, Mankato. Res 224 Pleasant st, office 228 S Front st. Omnibus line. Born Jan 1, 1859 in Larne Ireland, son of John and Ellen (Clendenning) Atchison. Received his education in the common schools of Ireland. Came to the U S in 1881 and entered employ of railroad contrs in Lisbon N D until 1884. Moved to Britton S D and established sale and livery barns. Elected sheriff Marshall county S D served 4 years. Moved to Northfield Minn 1887 and then to Mankato; conducts Mankato Omnibus and Transfer lines; built Mankato Fair Grounds and exploited same 1895. First organized Minn State Fair short ship circuit constituting 7 towns in southern Minn 1905-1906. Deputy sheriff 8 years served as member and v-pres city council. Prominently identified with all progressive movements in Mankato.


Rice County Home Page

Visit our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails