Beaver Creek Town History
Source: The History of Rock county by A.P.
This is only an excerpt from the book
The entire book is available for free on googlebooks in pdf format.
0n the bank of the "roaring" Beaver creek, eight and one half miles southwest of the capital city of Rock county, is the little village of Beaver Creek, a, village which has played an important part in tho history of Rock county. Excepting Luverne, Beaver Creek is the oldest municipality in the county. Founded during the c1osng days of the great grasshopper devastation, it rapidly grew to a place of importance. And before it had reached years of discretion was contesting with Luverne for county seat honors. For a dozen years after its founding Beaver Creek continued til prosper, then came a bad fire, followed by the lean years of thc early nineties, and the town took a backward step, At one time its very existence was threatened by the establishment of a rival town a few miles away. Better times came, and during the last. decade Beaver Creek has advanced until it again takes rank among the progressive places of a prosperous county,.
Situated in the midst of a fine farming country
that is thickly settled with an intelligent class of people. Beaver
Creek has an exceptionally good, though limited trade territory.
It is served by the Worthington-Mitchell branch of the
The site on which Beaver Creek is located was recognized from the very earliest days as a desirable one on which to locate a town, and so as early as 1873 a plat for a town only a stone’s throw from the present village was surveyed, with the intention of founding a city. R. D. Buchanan, the promoter of a colony of New Yorkers who located in the vicinity, conceived the idea (and started to put into execution his plan) of founding a town at a point just southwest of the present village. During the month of May he had the site surveyed and promised the early founding of the founding of the town. Mr. Buchanan came out to Rock county with another colony in August, with the announced intention of giving his attention to the new enterprise, but that is the last mention in the local press we have of the city. Like many another city conceived in the western country in an early day, it “died abornin”.
Beaver Creek had its birth in the fall of 1877, and
came into existence as a result of the extension of the
Before the line was completed to the site, however,
the town of