Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Scott County, Minnesota

 


Biographies

Christ Albrecht
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ALBRECHT Christ, Belle Plaine. Real Estate. Born May 21, 1861 in Burlington Wis, son of Mathias and Mary (Fey) Albrecht. Educated in Wis public schools. First engaged on farm and successively thereafter was in butcher business, liquor dealer, brick manufacturer; again in liquor business; traveling salesman for McCormick Threshing Machine Co and traveling for land co's; finally organized the Belle Plaine Canadian Land Co of which he is general manager. Member city council 1893-1902; treas 4 years.


John Anderson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Marilyn Clore

ANDERSON John, Minneapolis. Res 3329 2d av S, office same. Lawyer and real estate. Born May 19, 1852 in Sweden, son of Andreas and Johanna (Swenson) Anderson. Came to America 1860 and located in Carver Co Minn. Married Mar 31, 1884 to Mollie P Haish. Attended public schools in Carver Co Minn 1861-64; law dept U of M 1892; admitted to bar in N D in 1895. Clerked in gen stores Carver and Blakely Minn 1866-71; Glencoe Minn 1872-75; member Anderson & Heinemann, gen merchants Glencoe and Norwood Minn 1876-77; salesman A H Reed & Co Glencoe 1878-80; member Anderson & Enerson and Anderson , Fridd & Co mercantile firms Valley City and Oriska N D 1881-87; Winterer & Anderson real estate and insurance Valley City N D 1888-92; same period dir and v pres First Nat Bank Valley City. Member Masonic fraternity, Knights Templar, Shrine, I O O F, and Congregational Church.


Samuel Apgar
Source: History of the Minnesota Valley: Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev. Edward D. Neill. Minneapolis, North Star Publishing Company, 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Samuel Apgar was born October 26th, 1801, in Tompkins county, New York, where he lived until seventeen years of age, when he began learning the shoemaker and tanner's trade in Peruville; remained there until 1824, then removed to West Groton, and two years later to Dryden, where he lived five years, and three years on a farm. He then returned to Peruville and lived on a farm until 1852, when he came to Shakopee and kept a small house for travelers. In the spring of 1852 he made a claim adjoining the present site of Shakopee, and lived there until 1875, when he sold, and has since resided with a daughter. In New York, September 26th, 1824, he married Melinda Perry, who died in June, 1874. Ten children were born to them. The living are Sarah, Milo B., Adrian E., and Uphias I.


Arthur Armstrong
Source: History of the Minnesota Valley: Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev. Edward D. Neill. Minneapolis, North Star Publishing Company, 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Arthur Armstrong was born November 12th, 1828, in Ireland. When three years of age he went with his parents to New York, and resided in Clinton county until 1865. When he was fifteen years old his father died, and in 1865 he moved to Clayton county, Iowa, with his mother and family. In 1873 his mother died, and he removed to Chaska, Minnesota, where he worked at his trade as cooper until 1875; since that date he has been a resident of Shakopee. Elizabeth Cascade, of Canada, became his wife February 24th, 1862. They are the parents of six children: William J., Robert R., Wilbert D., Arthur L., Joseph F. and Mary M.


Charles Bornarth
Source: History of the Minnesota Valley: Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev. Edward D. Neill. Minneapolis, North Star Publishing Company, 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Charles Bornarth, born in 1830, is a native of Prussia. Enlisted at fifteen years of age, and served until 1851. In the spring of 1854 he moved to Canada, and the next fall came to Minnesota. He resided in St. Paul until the spring of 1857, when he went to Sibley county and worked at farming. In 1862, August 13th, he enlisted in Company H, Seventh Minnesota infantry; served in that company until promoted to lieutenant of Company F, Sixty-seventh United States infantry. Upon being mustered out, in 1865, he returned to his farm and remained until 1866, when for three years he taught the parish school of Marystown, Scott county. In October, 1869, he came to Shakopee and engaged in mercantile pursuits until entering his present line of business, civil engineering; also fire insurance, and is notary public. September 17th, 1856, he married Ellen O'Neill. They have three children: August carries on stone and marble works at Mankato, Michael D. is fireman on the St. Paul & Sioux City railroad, and Mary E. resides with her parents.

John Berens
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill

BERENS John, Shakopee. Merchant. Born Oct 15, 1852 in Prussia Germany, son of Matthias and Mary (Boer) Berens. Married in 1876 to Celia Yost. Came to America in 1855; located on farm near Shakopee; engaged in mercantile business with E J Gellenbeck 1874; purchased Mr Gellenback's interest in 1883 and continued alone to date. Served as city treas 1891 to date.


Matthias Berens
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill

BERENS Matthias, Shakopee. Merchant. Born Mar 17, 1846 in Germany, son of Matthias and Mary (Boer) Berens. Married 1870 to Maggie Scott. Moved to Minn 1855; engaged with H H Kohls in mercantile business 1868; purchased the business 1903 and admitted his sons to partnership under firm name of M J Berens & Sons; v pres First Nat Bank.


Thomas Berrisford Sr.
Source: Minnesota Territorial Pioneers - Biographical Sketches of Territorial Pioneers - Contributed by Jo Ann Scott

Thomas Berrisford, Sr. was born December 17, 1813, in Staffordshire, England. His father was a dairyman and carried on an extensive butter and cheese business. Thomas's education was obtained at a private school and completed at boarding school.
In this part of England a young man receiving such an education as this was considered very fortunate and expected to fill almost any calling in life.
On his return from school, Thomas assisted his father in the dairy business, and under his guidance became very proficient at this work.
After his marriage, which occurred April 24, 1837, to Miss Ann Ford of Long Acres, Staffordshire, Mr. Berrisford rented a house and a small tract of land, known as "the Moss Beds," where he continued the dairy business for years.
After this, being of an ambitious turn of mind, Mr. Berrisford rented a large tract of land called Fradswell Farm, where he engaged in stock raising and the cultivation of small grain. This undertaking, however, proved disastrous. Disease broke out amongst his stock; the fatal distemper, then prevalent, carried off sixteen of his best cows in one year. This with the failure of the grain crop so crippled Mr. Berrisford's finances that when rent day arrived the necessary funds could not be obtained, and, according to the law of the country, the bailiff took possession of the farm and all it contained, and Thomas Berrisford and his family were sent adrift on the world.
Driven frantic by the loss of everything in his possession, Mr. Berrisford determined to make a fresh start in life by going to America, where a brother, William and three sisters had gone four years previous. They had sent back glowing reports of the new world and urgent entreaties for him to follow, so on the first day of March 1856, Mr. Berrisford and family set sail on the sailing vessel Lucy Thompson for America.
They landed in New York on the 1st of April and went directly to Credit River township, Scott County, Minnesota, where his relations had settled. Here he preempted 16o acres of land and in time engaged in general merchandise and country produce business.
He was much esteemed by his neighbors, and held the office of justice of the peace and town assessor for a number of years.
Mr. Berrisford in his youth was a convert to the Methodist church and a firm believer in the teachings of John Wesley. When a young man he was known as a local preacher, and spent much time in propounding the doctrines of his church to others. He died on October 1, 1873. It has truthfully been said of him that, "with kindness to all and malice to none he never had an enemy."
Thomas Berrisford is buried at Hamilton Station, in the Protestant cemetery, by the side of his wife, who died March 13, 1866. Of this union twelve children were born, six of whom are now living, viz.: Ann, widow of Wm. B. Bandy, who resides at Jordan, Minn.; John and Enoch F. of St. Paul, Edwin of Watson, N. D.; Sarah E., wife of Frank Coghill of Jordan, Minn., and Paul J. of St. Paul.


Frederick Vaness Brown
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

Frederick Vanes Brown is of New England ancestry on his father's side. The earliest member of the family known to the family records was John Brown, who came to Massachusetts Bay colony in the ship Lyon in 1632. His descendant, William Brown, and the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a soldier in the War of the Revolution. Frederick V. is a son of Orestus S. Brown, who resides at Shakopee, Minnesota. Orestus came to Minnesota from Michigan in 1869, and is a farmer in comfortable circumstances. His wife, Eveyln Bortle (Brown), mother of Frederick Vaness, died at Shakopee, March 8, 1871. Frederick V. was born in Washtenaw County, Michigan, March 8, 1862, and was seven years old when his parents came to Minnesota. He commenced his education in the common schools of Shakopee, and for one year attended the preparatory department at Hamline University. During his boyhood and up to the age of nineteen he worked on his father's farm during the summer months and attended school on the average about four months a year. At the age of nineteen he went to St. Paul, where he was employed in the office of the locomotive department of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha road. He remained there till 1883, when he returned to Shakopee to commence the study of law with Senator H. J. Peck. During the next two years he read law and taught in the public schools. June 17, 1885, Mr. Brown was admitted to the bar in Scott County, and formed a partnership with Judge Luther M. Brown, for the practice of law at Shakopee. Judge Brown died in 1886, and for the next three years, Mr. Brown was associated professionally with Senator Peck. In the spring of 1889 he removed to St. Paul, and shortly afterward became the special attorney of the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, which relation continued until 1892. At that time he removed to Minneapolis and resumed the general practice of law. In 1894 he formed a partnership with George W. Buffington, which partnership still continues. Mr. Brown has devoted his entire attention ever since he was admitted to the bar to the practice of his profession, in which he has been highly successful. His political affiliations are with the Democratic party, and his first presidential vote was cast for the Democratic electors in 1884. He has always adhered to that party on national affairs, but has been independent in state and local politics. He has never sought or obtained political preferment in any form. Mr. Brown is a member of the Masonic Order, his partnership dating from 1887, when he was made a member of King Solomon's Lodge, No. 44, at Shakopee. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and is a member of the Minneapolis Mounted Knights Templar Commandery, No. 23. He has taken an active part in the work of various Masonic lodges, and has held various offices in the several bodies. Mr. Brown was married November 11, 1886, to Esther A. Bailey, of Prescott, Wisconsin. They have two children, Jessica Marie and Howard Selden.

Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

BROWN Frederick V, Minneapolis. Res 2117 Kenwood pkway, office Court House. Lawyer. Born Mar 8, 1862 in Washtenaw county Mich, son of Orestus S and Evelyn (Bortle) Brown. Attended common schools at Shakopee Minn and 1 year at Hamline Univ St Paul. Practiced law at Shakopee 1885-89; member of Peck & Brown lawyers Shakopee 1886-89; moved to Minneapolis in 1889 and has practiced there since; partner of George W Buffington in law practice 1894-1901; of Hon W A Kerr 1901-1905; appointed to dist bench 1905. Pres State Bar Assn in 1903. Member Minneapolis and Commercial clubs Minneapolis.


John E. Casey
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Renae Donaldson

CASEY John E, Jordan. Publisher. Born Oct 10, 1875 in Scott county Minn, son of John and Mary (Howe) Casey. Married Sept 15, 1903 to Therese Mertens Casey. Educated in Jordan public schools; Minneapolis Central High School; graduated from St John's Univ Collegeville Minn. Purchased Jordan Independent 1901 and has published same to date. Sec 4 years of Jordan Elec Light & Heating Co. Member Democratic State Central Committee; second v pres Minn Editorial Assn.


Julius A. Coller
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

COLLER Julius A. Shakopee. Lawyer. Born Feb 22, 1859 in Shakopee Minn. Son of George F and Sophia (Tueneman) Coller. Married Sept 16, 1884 to Ida L Adams. Educated in the public schools Shakopee Minn. Dir First Nat Bank Shakopee; Peoples State Bank Jordan; First State Bank new market and Shakopee Mtg Loan & Inv co. City clerk Shakopee 1880-90; clk district court Scott county 1882-91; county atty Scott county 1891-95; state senator 1899-1911.


Henry B. Conlon
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Liz Dellinger

CONLON Henry B, Belle Plaine. Educator. Born March 25, 1866 in Belle Plaine, son of Dan and May (Russell) Conlon. Married Nov 15, 1887 to Mary DeDavitt. Educated in public schools Belle Plaine; Central high School St Paul Grove Lake Academy Sauk Center and U of M Teachers' Training School. First engaged in teaching in Scott county 1882; prin high school 1884-90; supt of schools Scott county 1890-95; taught 1 year St John's Minn; In ins business Belle Plaine until 1900; now prin high school. Mayor of Belle Plaine 1894; municipal Judge 1895 to date.


Milo Hayden Doyle
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DOYLE Milo Hayden, Belle Plaine. Dentist. Born in 1880 in Renville county Minn, son of Samuel H and May J (Christie) Doyle. Educated in district school Renville county Minn; grammar and high schools Bellingham; graduated from dental dept U of M, D D S 1905. From graduation has been in active practice of his profession in Belle Plaine to date. Member I O O F.


William F. Duffy
Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DUFFY William F, Shakopee. Publisher. Born Dec 28, 1868 in Eagle Creek Minn, son of Timothy J and Caroline (Stemmer) Duffy. Married Oct 16, 1901 to Miss Anna L McGrade. Educated in country schools Eagle Creek; high school Shakopee; Sauk Center College. Taught school 9 years after graduation; read law 1891-93; trav salesman several years; mngr and editor Scott County Argus 1902 to date; alderman 1904; pres School Board 1906; elected clk of court Scott county 1906. Member State Editorial Assn.


Julius Effertz
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

EFFERTZ Julius S, Belle Plaine. Banker. Born Dec 4, 1880 in Norwood Minn, son of Peter and Lizzie Effertz. Educated in graded schools Norwood Minn. Bookkeeper Farmers State Bank Waconia Minn 18 months; bkpr Bank of Echo Minn 18 months; asst cashr State Bank of Hector Minn 3 years; cashr State Bank Belle Plaine 1906 to date.


John Isaac Faricy
Source: Progressive Men of Minnesota, (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Journal (1897) transcribed by Vicki Bryan

It was an earnest desire to see more of the world and to find occupation more to his taste that induced J. I. Faricy to run away from his parents' farm home in the summer of 1878 and remain away for seven years. Mr. Faricy was born at Credit River, Scott County, Minnesota, May 20, 1860. His father's name was James Faricy, a farmer, highly esteemed and well to do, who settled at Credit River, Scott County, in 1855. His wife (John Isaac's mother), was Bridget Nyhan. James Faricy and his wife were both born in Ireland, and emigrated to this country when quite young. They lived first in Massachusetts. Members of Mrs. Faricy's family occupied prominent positions in the old country, socially and professionally, several of them being lawyers and clergymen. John Isaac was employed on his father's farm and attended the country school in the winter, as farmers' boys of that time were accustomed to do. Later he took a course in bookkeeping and commercial law at the Curtiss Business College in Minneapolis. But he did not enjoy farm life, and without the knowledge or consent of his parents left home in the summer of 1878 with only twenty-five cents in his pocket to begin life on his own account. He was first employed with a threshing machine crew near Owatonna, and remained there during the winter of 1878 and 1879, working on a farm for his board and schooling. Early in the spring of 1879 he joined the rush to Sioux Falls, which was then attracting emigration, and spent the summer there locating people on wild lands. In January 1880, he went to Sioux City, obtaining employment with the National Publishing Company, of Philadelphia, as collector and canvasser for their books, and continued in their service until the following autumn, when he removed to Montana and was engaged in the steamboat business on the Upper Missouri and Yellowstone rivers during the seasons of 1881 and 1882. About this time he became interested in the gold mining development in the Black Hills and went to that region in the latter part of November. There he secured a good position with the Homestake Mining Company at Lead City, and also operated in mines and mining stock, accumulating considerable money. In December 1884, after having been absent from his home for nearly seven years, he returned to visit his parents. He then saw an opportunity to speculate profitably in St. Paul real estate, and did not return to the Black Hills, but invested in property in the Capitol City to considerable extent, and, also, in property between St. Paul and Minneapolis. He has been engaged continuously in the real estate and loan business ever since he located in St. Paul. His business connections first were with the firm of Brennan & Fahy, in 1886. He formed a partnership in 1887 with P. M. Daly, under the firm name of Faricy & Daly, and engaged in the real estate and loan business. This firm continued until 1891, when Mr. Daly retired, and Mr. Faricy continued the business alone. He has been a Democrat in politics, but has never sought office, though solicited many times to do so. He has, however, always taken an active interest in public affairs. He is a member of the Catholic church, and was married June 24, 1890, at Austin, Minnesota, to Miss Theela Brown, a relative of Archbishop Elder, of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have three children. James Joseph, William Cleveland and Robert Brown.


Henry Fischer
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FISCHER Henry P, Shakopee. Physician and surgeon (R). Born Mar 12, 1870 in Canada, son of Michael and Catherine (Hohenadel) Fischer. Married June 18, 1895 to Minnie Huck. Graduated from St Jerome's College Berlin Can 1890. Has been continuously engaged in practice of his profession to date. Member American Medical Assn; Carver Scott County and Minn State medical societies.


Adam Flecken
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FLECKEN Adam, Shakopee. Hotel propr. Born Mar 27, 1841 in Limberg Holland, son of Hubbard and Mary (Johnson) Flecken. Married April 27, 1869 to Josie Deacon. Received his education in his native land. Came to the U S and settled in Carver county Minn 1863. Enlisted 1864 and served in 2d Regt Minn Cavalry 1866; located in Shakopee and employed as blksmith in Omaha Ry machine shop until removal to St Paul; mngr and propr of brickyard 4 years; then purchased Occidental Hotel Shakopee, which he has conducted to date. Member St John's Society.


Charles Fowler
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Anna Parks

FOWLER Charles Rollin, Minneapolis. Res 521 Forest av, office 401 Loan & Trust bldg. lawyer. Born September 17, 1869 at Jordan Minn, son of Rollin D and Jane (Varner) Fowler. Attended common schools in Jordan Minn and Minneapolis; graduated from law dept U of M, LL B 1892. Has practiced law in Minneapolis 1892-1905; member Kerr & Fowler law firm 1905 to date. Resident v pres and gen atty for American Surety Co of N Y. Has contributed articles to the press on banking law and financial subjects and on U S bankruptcy law of 1898. Active in politics and public affairs. Member Minneapolis, Minikahda and Commercial clubs Minneapolis.


Joseph B. Hartmann
SOURCE: History of Morrison and Todd Counties Minnesota by Clara K. Fuller, Volume II, 1915, B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.

Morrison county, Minnesota, has been fortunate in the number and character of its business men. Joseph B. Hartmann, a general merchant of Pierz, where he handles groceries, hardware and a general line of farm machinery, has figured in the growth and development of Pierz township, Morrison county, with which his interests have been identified for many years. Earnest purpose and tireless energy, combined with mature judgment and every-day common sense, are among his prominent characteristics.

Joseph B. Hartmann is the son of Valentine and Rosalia (Dealingler) Hartmann and was born in Scott county, Minnesota, May 20, 1872. His parents were both born in Germany, the father in Hesse-Darmstadt on May 9, 1835, and his mother on August 13, 1835. For the life history of Mr. and Mrs. Valentine Hartmann the reader is referred to the sketch of Philip A. Hartmann, presented elsewhere in this volume.

Joseph B. Hartmann assisted his father on the farm until eighteen years old and then worked for John H. Nicolin, who operated a hardware store and tin shop. After working for Mr. Nicolin for four years and learning the tinner's trade, Mr. Hartmann clerked for A. H. Catwell, a tinner of Morton, Minnesota, for two years. He next worked for M. Brooks at Sauk Center, Minnesota, learning photography. The next year he operated a gallery at Jordan, Minnesota, and then rented it and came to Pierz, Minnesota, where he worked for his brother, Philip A. Hartmann, for one year in the hardware and mercantile store.

On November 23, 1879, Joseph Hartmann was married to Theresia Hennen, who was born at Sping Hill, in Stearns county, Minnesota, on June 29, 1880. Mrs. Hartmann came to Pierz with her parents when a young woman. She was educated in the parochial school at Pierz and made her home with her parents until her marriage. Mrs. Hartmann is a most industrious and helpful woman and wife and has been no small factor in her husband's success. She has borne him six children, Loretta, Edmund, Marcellus, Leona, Lucile, and Walter, who died in infancy.

After his marriage, Mr. Hartmann purchased a half interest in his brother's store and for four years was in partnership with him. He then sold out and engaged in the saloon business at Pierz. After having operated the saloon for ten months, he traded it for a farm two miles east of Pierz. After operating the farm for one year, he rented it and removed back to Pierz, where he purchased three lots in block No. 4, erecting a two-story building, thirty-six by ninety-four feet, in which he established a tin shop and clothing store. After two years he rented the clothing store to Joseph Ries, continuing in the tinning business until 1912. He then traded the farm he had owned for a general mercantile stock and since then has operated the store in connection with the tinning business. The Hartmann store is agent for the Acme and Parlin & Orendorff lines of harvesting and farm machinery.

Joseph B. Hartmann is a Republican and as such served as village president for two years and as village clerk for five years. The family are members of the Catholic church. Mr. Hartmann is a member of the Order of Foresters. He is the organizer and one of the charter members of Pierz Corps No. 710. He served as financial secretary for four years and was high chief ranger for one year.


Charles Gilbert Hinds
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. (Shutter, Marion Daniel, 1853-ed.) Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal (1897) Submitted by Diana Heser Morse

The ancestors of the subject of this sketch, on both the paternal and maternal sides, were of good old Colonial stock, having come to this country about the year 1650. Several members of the family were soldiers in the War of the Revolution. Henry Hinds, the father of Charles, was an early pioneer in the state of Minnesota, coming here in 1854 and settling at Shakopee, where the has ever since resided and practiced law. He was born at Hebron, New York, in 1826; graduated from the Albany Normal College in 1850; took up the study of law in the Cincinnati Law School and graduated from that institution in 1852. In 1853 he was married to Mary F. Woodworth, the mother of the subject of this sketch. The Following year Mr. Hinds came to Minnesota and opened a law office at Shakopee. He was held many offices of public trust. He was one of the leading lawyers of the Eighth Judicial District up to the time of his retiring from active practice in 1884. In the early day he acted as the county attorney of Scott County and judge of probate. He was a member of the lower house of the legislature from Scott County in 1878, and was made a member of the board of managers in the impeachment of Judge Page, making the closing argument for the board before the senate. In 1879 and 1881 he served in the state senate. Charles Gilbert Hinds was born August 31, 1866 at Shakopee, Minnesota. He received his early education in the common schools of Shakopee, and in 1883 entered the state university, taking a special course for two years. In 1885 he entered the law department of the University of Michigan, graduating with a degree of LL. B. in 1887. He received his certificate of admission to bar on his twenty-first birthday, and immediately began the practice of his profession in his native town--Shakopee--where he has remained. In 1894 he was elected county attorney of Scott County. In politics Mr. Hinds is a Democrat. He is a Mason, a member of the A. O. U. W., of which he is Grand Foreman of the state, and the M. W. of A. He is also a member of the legal college fraternity of the Phi Delta Phi. September 25, 1888, Mr. Hinds was married to Maude Plumstead, of Shakopee. They have two sons, Frank H. and Frederick C.


Thomas Andrew Holmes
Source: Collections of the Minnesota Historical Society (1912) Volume XIV; Page 340; transcribed by FoFG mz

Holmes, Thomas Andrew, b. in Bergerstown, Pa., March 4, 1804; d. in Culman, Ala., July 2, 1888. He established an Indian trading post in 1839 at Fountain City, and in 1849 removed to Sauk Rapids; was a member of the first territorial legislature; founded the towns of Shakopee and Chaska in 1851.


Frank C. Irwin
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907), transcribed by Mary Saggio. 

IRWIN FRANK C, Belle Plaine.  Lawyer.  Born April 15, 1857 in Belle Plaine, Minn, son of Robert A and Celia C (Chatfield) Irwin.  Married Oct 2, 1878 to Lizzie C Bay.  Educated in common schools Belle Plaine and Green Bay Wis.  Studied law with grandfather Judge A G Chatfield and father R A Irwin; admitted to bar by by supreme court 1886 and entered into partnership with R A Irwin under firm name of R A & F C Irwin until death of R A Irwin 1891, since which time has practiced alone.  Mayor of Belle Plaine having completed 6th term. 


Alfred Johnson
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907), transcribed by Mary Saggio. 

JOHNSON ALFRED, Belle Plaine.  General merchandise.  Born Sept 6, 1861 in Carver county Minn, son of Swan and Catherine (Swanson) Johnson.  Educated in the public schools and graduated from commercial dept Gustavus Adolphus College 1899.  Engaged in farming until 1897.  After graduation was bkpr for Johnson, Peterson & Co Hector Minn; with brother established firm of Johnson Bros gen merchandise Belle Plaine 1901.  Served as county comnr of Carver county and town clk; took active part in politics in Carver county; was delegate to a number of county and state conventions.  Member M W A.




Frank Herman Juergens
Source: Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907); transcribed by Nina Kramer

Jordan.  Druggist.  Born Feb 20, 1862 in Shakopee, son of Frank W and Regina (Schuetz) Juergens.  Married April 25, 1893 to Louise Marlock.  Educated in Shakopee and Watertown.  Has been engaged in the drug business in Jordan 1882 to date.  Pres and mngr Jordan Telephone Co and Scott County Telephone Co; treas Jordan Electric Light Co; treas Board of Education; postmaster.


John Louis Macdonald
Source: Progressive men of Minnesota. Published by The Minneapolis Journal (1897) submitted by Diana Heser Morse

The subject of this sketch is a native of Glasgow, Scotland, where he was born February 22, 1838. His parents were Dr. John A. and Marjory (McKinley) Macdonald. Dr. John A. Macdonald was a successful physician, who emigrated from Scotland to Nova Scotia when the subject of this sketch was quite young. In 1847 the family remove to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. While they resided there our subject obtained an academic education. In the spring of 1855 the family moved to St. Paul, and in the fall of that year located at Belle Plaine, Scott County. Here he began the study of law, and in the spring of 1859 was admitted to the bar. At the next election he was chosen probate judge of Scott County and held that office for two years. He then held successively the offices of county superintendent of schools and prosecuting attorney. Mr. Macdonald has also had some newspaper experience. In 1860 and 1861 he edited the Belle Plaine Enquirer, and in the fall of the latter year removed to Shakopee, where he founded the Shakopee Argus, which he edited for about a year. The war having broke outhe was commissioned to enlist and muster in volunteers for the union army. Mr. Macdonald's abilities and sterling qualities of character had come to be recognized, and in 1869 and 1870 he served as a member of the house of representatives of Minnesota, and from 1871 to 1876 as a member of the state senate. In both branches he served on the judiciary and other important committees. It was he who introduced and securedd the passage of the constitutional amendment requiring that any law amending or altering in any way the provisions that the railroads of the state should pay, in lieu of all other taxes, a percentage upon their gross earnings, should be referred to the people and adopted by a majority of their votes before it could take effect. This was clearly the introduction into Minnesota legislation of the principle of the referendum. In 1872 Mr. Macdonald was chosen as the candidate of his party (the Democratic) for the office of attorney general of the state, but the timess were not favorable for the Democracy in Minnesota, and he was defeated with his party ticket. In 1875 he was honored by his fellow townsmen of Shakopee with the office of mayor, and the following year was elected judge of the Eighth judicial district for a term of seven years. At the expiration of his term he was re-elected without opposition and served until 1886, when he resigned to take up the more lucrative business of practicing his profession as a lawyer. He was not allowed, however, to remain long in private life, as the Democrats of his district the same year elected him to the Fiftieth congress from the Third district of Minnesota, a district which had previously been Republican by three thousand majority. Judge Macdonald served on the committee on public lands, merchant marine and fisheries. He was re-nominated by his party in 1888, but the political tide had returned, and, failing of re-election, he retired at the expiration of his term, to the practice of his profession at St. Paul, where he now resides. Although he has always been affiliated with the Democratic party, he maintains a high degree of independence in his political beliefs, and at present regards himself as an independent in politics. Being an ardent advocate of the free coinage of silver, he joined the People's Party in 1892, and afterwards served as chairman of the state central committee of that organization. He was married June 22, 1861, to Miss Mary Hennessy, of Belle Plaine, Minnesota. Judge Macdonald has had a highly successful career, his chief success having been achieved in the honorable and dignified position of judge, where he discharged the duties of his office with such ability and great satisfaction to the public that he was the choice of both the Republicans and Democrats as his own successor after the expiration of his first term.
Renner Family
Fred E Renner m. Mary (Mame) Wilma Maertz in New Prague 12 Oct 1910.
Fred was born in Portage WI 16 Dec 1884 to Paul and Wilhelmine Ahrens Renner.
Mary Maertz was born in LeSeuer county, possibly in or near Heidelburg Village 24 Oct 1885.
Fred and Mary had two children: Eleanor Annette and Allen Francis. They lived in New Prague for the remainder of their lives.
Fred passed away 22 Jul 1972 and Mary 06 Dec 1974.
Mary's father, Frank Joseph Maertz, was a merchant and business owner in New Prague. He owned a saloon and a dry goods store on Main St near the railroad tracks. Mary and her siblings helped out in their father's businesses. Fred, who worked for the railroad as a telegrapher in the depot building between the tracks and the saloon, obviously met Mary while they were working so close to each other. Mary's mother, Mary A Proshek, was the daughter of Anton and Catherine Proshek.
The Renner/Maertz family has connections to other New Prague families like Soukup, Pany, Joach, Shimota, Horazdovsky, Mikiska, and Bastyr.
Information contributed by David Renner, roadglide107 @ yahoo.com


Lester Sly
Source: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman

LESTER SLY. The commercial interests of Republic have been well looked after during the years of her existence and among the leading merchants of Ferry county today, stands the subject of this article. He also has the distinction of being one of the pioneer merchants of this part of the country.

Lester Sly was born in Belleplaine, Scott county, Minnesota, on April 26, 1869, being the son of J. B. and Ann E. (Russell) Sly, natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively. They settled in Minnesota in 1851, where the father died, aged sixty-four years, in 1892. The mother then came west to Washington, where she now resides with her daughter, Mrs. N. R. Robinson. She is the mother of six children, Lester, Samuel E., Carolina L., Josephine, James F. and Charles E. Our subject received a good education in Belleplaine, and when fourteen years of age began working for himself. He was at home at intervals until 1886, when he came to Spokane, and after a short time spent there in the employ of Brooke and Davies, went on to the Coeur d' Alene country and was time keeper and bookkeeper for the narrow gauge road, constructed by D. C. Corbin, this being the first railroad in that country. Later, he went to the Colville valley and engaged in the Young American mine at Bossburg. Later, he went to Okanogan county and in 1887 started prospecting, which he followed until 1895, when he went to Slocan, British Columbia, and engaged as clerk in the Slocan Store Company, and engaged as clerk in the Slocan Store Company. He continued in that capacity for two years, when he returned to Okanogan county, and finally settled in the Curlew valley in 1897, having brought with him a large load of general merchandise. He entered into partnership with Charles Hermann at Conconully. They were about the first to establish themselves as merchants in this valley, and have continued in the merchandise business, increasing their stock until at the present time they are among the leading merchants of north Washington. Mr. Sly has various other property, such as a town residence, and mining and farming interests. He has a valuable quarter section partly in the city of Republic.

On June 8, 1898, Mr. Sly married Hannah E. Neilson, a native of Norway. Her father is dead and her mother now lives at Christiana, Norway. Mrs. Sly is one of four children, P. M., Siegel, Elsa, and Hannah. To Mr. and Mrs. Sly two children have been born, Gordon, April 8, 1899, and Helen, December 7, 1901. Mr. Sly, who is a good active Republican, was a member of the board of county commissioners, and has been very active in building up the Ferry Lodge No. 111, A. F. & A. M., the Eastern Star, the I. O. O. F., the W. W., and the M. W. A. Mrs. Sly belongs to the Eastern Star, the Rebekahs, and the Methodist church.


John E. Truax
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900 - Tr. By Debbie Gibson

JOHN E. TRUAX, clerk of the district court, is one of the prominent officials of Cavilier county, and has resided in Langdon for the past thirteen years, in which time he has gained a host of friends and the highest esteem of his fellows. The reader of this sketch will do well to consult his portrait, which will be found in these pages.

Our subject was born in Miami county, Indiana, March 31, 1851, and at the age of five years moved to Scott county, Minnesota, where he was reared and educated. He was then employed as clerk in a store in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, for about five years and in 1876 was appointed deputy auditor of Le Sueur county, which office he held until May, 1882. He was then appointed register's clerk in the United States land office at Grand Forks, North Dakota, and remained in that office until January, 1886, at which time he was appointed deputy auditor of Grand Forks county. He held the position until January 1, 1888, and at that time was appointed clerk of the district court of Cavilier county, by Judge McConnell, of Fargo, and has held the office continuously since that date. He took up his residence in Langdon early in January, 1888, and has lived here since and taken an active interest in the upbuilding of the town.

Our subject was married in Le Sueur county, Minnesota, in 1874, to Miss Mary Travis, who died in Le Sueur in November, 1875. One son was born to this union, named Robert E. Mr. Truax was married to Miss Clara V. Stiles in 1880 and January 25, 1897, he was again called upon to mourn the loss of his life companion. Mr. and Mrs. Truax were the parents of two children, Viola C. and Constance A. Our subject is a stanch advocate of Democratic principles and an earnest worker for his party, with which he has always been identified, and he wields a wide influence. His reputation for integrity and uprightness is without a flaw and he is one of the most highly-reputed men of the county and enjoys the confidence of all. He is a thirty-second-degree Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and Elzagel Temple of Fargo, member of Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias, and has passed all the chairs in the subordinate lodge of this order. He is one of the oldest Knights of Pythias in the West, having joined the order in 1874. He is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Independent Order of Foresters.


Joel S. Weiser
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Renae Capitanio

JOEL S. WEISER. One of the busiest, most energetic and most enterprising citizens of Valley City, North Dakota, is Joel S. Weiser, a prominent merchant and business man of that place. He bears in his veins some of the best blood of our early colonists, being a descendant of Conrad Weiser, of colonial fame, who played an important part in dealing with the British and the Indians in the days when our forefathers were striving to free themselves from the English yoke of oppression, and a man whose deeds were cherished by Washington and those high in authority.
Our subject was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, August 31, 1834, and during early life attended school and assisted his father on the home farm until eighteen years of age, when he came west. After stopping for about thirty days at Danby Station, Du Page county, Illinois, he proceeded to St. Paul, Minnesota, and shortly afterward located in Shakopee, that state, where he made his home for fifteen years, following the trade of a mason.
On the 31st of September, 1864, Mr. Weiser enlisted in Company I, Ninth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and was at once ordered to Memphis, Tennessee, where the regiment was on camp duty until the middle of November, when they moved to Nashville, going through Kentucky on the way. After taking part in the two-days' engagement at Nashville, they followed Hood to Pulaski, Tennessee, and then turned to the right, passing through Clifton, on the Cumberland river, on their way to Mississippi. During the march they were engaged in fighting bushwhackers. On the morning of January17, 1865, they arrived in Eastport, Mississippi, where they went into camp and remained three weeks, during which time they were constantly annoyed by bushwhackers. They next pushed forward to Vicksburg, where they camped five days and then proceeded to New Orleans, where they embarked on a steamer for Dauphin island. After remaining there for about four weeks they went up the Perdido river and on through the pines to Spanish Fort, to which they laid siege and captured April 9. On the 11th they marched towards Montgomery and Selma to destroy the rebel works, but on their arrival found they had been taken by Wilson's cavalry regiment. After camping at Selma three days they went to Marion, where the regiment remined until the close of the war. Returning home they were mustered out August 24, 1865.
Mr. Weiser continued his residence in Shakopee, Minnesota, until 1870, when he removed to St. Paul, and was there engaged in contracting for a period of four years. Later he lived on a farm in Washington county, Minnesota, twelve miles east of St. Paul, for three and a half years, during which time he followed farming, and in the fall of 1877 came to Valley City, where he has since made his home. He erected the second house in the village, known as the Northern Pacific House, which was burned to the ground April 25, 1898. In the spring of 1878 he embarked in general merchandising at this place, and is now the oldest merchant in years of continuous business in the city.
On the 10th of May, 1854, Mr. Weiser was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Clever, of Berks county, Pennsylvania, by whom he has had eleven children, six still living, one son and five daughters, three sons and two daughters being now deceased. The youngest daughter, Lillian, was the second white child born in Barnes county, and is now teaching in the public schools of Valley City. The son, John, is in the store with his father.
Mr. Weiser has been prominently identified with public affairs during his residence in this state. He was a member of the territorial council under Governor Church, also of the second assembly of the state legislature under Governor John Burke, now of Minnesota. During his career in Bismarck he was appointed watchman of the constitutional convention. He was the first treasurer of Barnes County, being first appointed by Governor Howard and later elected to that position for two terms, serving in all five years, and alderman and member of the school board for years. He was given the honor of christening the city in which he now lives, and has borne a very active and prominent part in her upbuilding and prosperity. He attends the Methodist Episcopal church and is an honored member of the Grand Army Post. In business affairs he has met with a well deserved success during his residence here, and he has also won the confidence and respect of his fellow citizens and of all with whom he has come in contact, either in public or private life.


Scott County Home Page

Visit Our National Site:
Genealogy Trails
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails