Church History and News
CHURCHES OF SIBLEY COUNTY MINNESOTA (from an 1882 history)
Source: History of the Minnesota Valley: Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev. Edward D. Neill. Minneapolis, North Star Publishing Company, 1882. Transcribed by Mary Kay Krogman.
Passing the date of county history in religious matters, we find in 1881 five church organizations and four church edifices. The St. Judes Episcopal parish, organized in 1859 under guidance of Rev. Markus Olds. Services were held in the German M. E. church until 1872, a new house of their own, costing $1,500, being built in that year and furnished, including carpeting, by the Ladies' Sewing Society, at a cost of $315 more. There are twelve families now connected.
The German Methodist E. church, organized in 1866, with seven families connected. A small church was built the following season, and in 1875 a new and more commodious structure was erected. It is now in charge of Rev. Mr. Wellemeyer, and has eight families connected.
In 1866 a society was formed styled the German Evangelical Association, with thirty families. A church was erected the following year, and Rev. F. Fachtman took charge. There is now a membership of sixty persons.
An American Methodist Episcopal church society was formed at an early date, services at first having been held jointly with the German M. E. society, and later at the German Evangelical church. No local pastor.
The Catholics organized in 1859 or '60 with forty families. Under the guidance of Gebhard Durrenberger a large frame church was built on the brow of the bluff adjoining the city, in which the first services were conducted by Father Somereisen, of Mankato. The first local priest was Rev. Theodore Venn. Rev. A. Stecher is now in charge, and has eighty families connected. In 1874 through the exertions of the present priest a two-story parochial school-house was erected, and placed in charge of the sisters of Notre Dame. There is an attendance of eighty scholars. During several years past a parochial school was also conducted by the German Evangelical Association, but discontinued in 1881.
- - 1923 - - CONGREGATIONALISTS ELECT NEW PASTOR
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 1, 1923, page 1; submitted by Robin Line.
Call Extended Rev. Percy W. Gibson of Wiola, Wis., at Sunday's Meeting. [sic.]
At a special business meeting of the members and supporters of the Union Congregational church held Sunday evening, a call was unanimously extended Rev. Percy W. Gibson of Viola, Wisconsin.
Rev. Gibson occupied the pulpit a week ago Sunday and met with considerable favor with the congregation. In the event he accepts the call he will take up his residence here in about two weeks.
His ministerial record covers an active period of ten years in the Congregational field and carries with it strong recommendations. He has not only served in the capacity of pastor but choir leader as well, and has been very successful in his Sunday School work.
He is married and has a wife and four daughters. Rev. Gibson has been strongly supported in his church work by Mrs. Gibson, who has also devoted much of her time as church organist.
The work on the remodeling of the church parsonage has been recently completed adding a marked improvement to the church property.
PASTOR ACCEPTS CALL. FIRST SERMON NOV. 18TH
Source: Winthrop News (MN) Nov. 8, 1923, page 1; submitted by Robin Line.
Rev. Percy W. Gibson of Viola, Wisconsin, has accepted the call extended him by the Union Congregational church of Winthrop. Rev. Gibson informed by letter that he would arrange to take up his work here at an early date and will preach his first sermon, as local pastor, on Sunday, November 18th. The News joins in welcoming Rev. Gibson and family to Winthrop.
Sibley County Home Page
Visit our National Site:
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails